home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. lola the spiritual

BTW, atheism was the official religion of USSR....

January 19, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
  2. Meri

(John 6:65 And He (Jesus) said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”
    John 6:66 After this many of His disciples turned back and no longer walked with Him.
    John 6:67 So Jesus said to the Twelve, “Do you want to go away as well?”)

Has The Father not chosen His? He knows who wants Him and He chose them. He does not ignore us who want Him, who cry out to Him. Let people make their own choices. Do not harass people if they choose to walk away from Him. He ALLOWS everyone to make their own choices. Jesus did not yell at them " come back come back!" He let them go, and then asked His own 12 disciples if they wanted to leave too! And they said no. To all the Christians reading this, ask The Heavenly Father how He sees this situation. He may reveal to you some things that you do not know yet. Before you speak as a Christian, make certain you are doing the Heavenly Father's will. Make certain He is wanting you to say what you are so willing to tell a person. And ask Him to show you more about this person before you are so quick to penetrate their hearts with what YOU have to say. Be sure you are judging righteously, and are able to see clearly. Ask God if He has something for this person to hear through you. Persecution does not feel good, but Jesus went through it, and forgave them because He knew His Father's Love for them. John 15:18 Jesus said “If the world hates you, know that it has hated Me before it hated you.
    19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you."
    -sister in Christ

January 19, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • logicalfallacy

your logical fallacy is called: appeal to authority. i forgive you, for you know not what you do.

January 19, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • Meri

logical fallacy, what do you mean?

January 19, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
    • logicalfallacy

@meri
      you cite the bible as authoritative. it is not. that makes it a logical fallacy. hope that helps!

January 19, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
    • Meri

logical fallacy, thank you for explaining what you meant! :)
      To Christians the bible is authoritative, isn't it? Christians were and are telling the woman and other people that they are wrong, for stating their opinions that being a "godless mom is okay". Seems as though Christians were pounding on people for the sake of the mother's article. So if I was directing the paragraph only towards Christians to "not degrade a person because they choose not to follow The Heavenly God" how is that a logical fallacy?
      Or am I still mistaken about what a logical fallacy is?

January 19, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
    • logicalfallacy

@meri
      the bible is not authoritative. believing that it is authoritative doesn't mean it's true. therefore, the logical fallacy remains: appeal to authority.

January 19, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • Meri

logicalfallacy:
      okay, I understand the most part of your answer. But what do you mean by "appeal to authority?" This is how I understand it: "earnest or urgent request to authority" I hope I am not testing your patience, I am just understanding part of what you are saying it is very interesting to me.

January 19, 2013 at 9:12 pm |
  3. lola the spiritual

Gods are in your heart, you may call the principles if you are more comfortable :) All organized religion is just another golf club, with only difference that it tries to force its rules on all people. Atheism is just another golf club, very similar to religion :) Enjoy !

January 19, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
    • DrewNumberTwo

Atheism is merely a lack of belief in gods, not a philosophy or a set of morals.

January 19, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
    • lionlylamb

lola the spiritual,

I dare so agree that the sons of God lay upon our inside realms with the heart being their centrality. Even the sons of God's have taken mates, as in mankind's women of old mentioned of in Genesis. Luke 17:21, "The kingdom of God is inside you!" and also, 1Corinthians 3:9 "For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [ye are] God's building!" gives me a sense of calmness whenever I hear others rant and rave insidiously that the gods and goddesses of God Almighty do not exist.

January 19, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
  4. YEPthat'sME

The benefits of having faith in something bigger than yourself is the balance and added experience it brings to ones life.

January 19, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
  5. Kiran

Glad CNN didn't end up taking her essay down just because of the pressure from a few jesus-freaks. Everyone should be allowed to voice their opinion, especially when done in well written and thoughtful ways. Saying, "Waaaaaaah, they hurt my feelings! TAKE IT DOWN NOW!" Is not well written or thoughtful. Neither is censorship.

I, for one, will never lie to my kids and say there is a God just so he or she fits in better or because everyone else does, even under pain of death. I also won't tell my child there is no God. I'll let them decide for themselves, as I ended up doing. I was raised Christian and, at some points, Baptsist, but I woke up one day and just realized that there's no good reason to believe in a God. Goodness comes from within, not fear of what's outside. That is where it will always come from. Anything else is a lie.

January 19, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • Lines

?

January 19, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
    • Cmoney

@Lines, you know, placing words before the question mark makes the conversation a little more productive.

January 19, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
  6. Kevin

F religion!

January 19, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • Eilson

Kevin – you're so brave!

January 19, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
    • logicalfallacy

@eilson
      technically, that is true. kevin is brave to say something like that, especially if he resides in the bible belt.

January 19, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
    • Lines

I live in the Bible belt. I wasn't as rude as Kevin, but I was anti-Christian. Nobody really cared.

January 19, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • logicalfallacy

@lines
      your logical fallacy is called: doubting thomas
      lol!

January 19, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
  7. Matt

I am agnostic. I can't help it. I don't care if others are religious. I only want people to stop saying that I am somehow immoral or lack family values. I was taught to be a good person because it is the right thing to do, not because I will go to hell if I don't.

January 19, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • Lines

I'm a Christian and people say the same things to me. Got have thick skin to make it in this world. F em!

Let them think and say what they want. Only you know what's best for you.

January 19, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
  8. ikjyotsinghkohli1

Really? Is no one going to debate me on singularity theorems, the Einstein field equations, the causal structure of space-time, physical laws emerging from conservation laws, the importance of lie groups in the universe? Because, these things are where the intelligent conversations and debates of God and the Universe lie in, not these foolish back and forth comments that people are constantly engaged in. Unless you actually learn the science behind the universe, you have NO RIGHT to participate in this debate, since any other comments are just not constructive.

January 19, 2013 at 5:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You are apparently ignorant of the 1st Amendment, dimwit.

January 19, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
  9. EmilyGrace

I agree with this mother 100%. I am tired of hearing people say they've given the trials in their lives to "the Lord" or thanking Jesus for the successes in their lives. Why can't they accept that this is life? One day, future generations of humans will study these thousands of years when people worshipped the "God" of their choice- Christians, Jews, Muslims and Buddhists- and will reflect on us the way we study the Greeks and Romans and their "Gods". There is nothing wrong with those of us who choose to live life outside of a church; we are still good people of character trying to live our lives in a positive and uplifting way, just like the rest of you.

January 19, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • Steve

Very well said!!! Thank you!!!

January 19, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • John

You're blind to the benefits of knowing God, and hope others are too.

January 19, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
    • josh

Hitler lived outside the church. Gee, I guess that makes him a good person............just like you.

January 19, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And josh loses the argument.

January 19, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • Cmoney

@Josh, that is possibly the worst argument ever made on the internet.

January 19, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
  10. Matt

CNN, this is why i don't read you

January 19, 2013 at 5:43 pm |
    • logicalfallacy

@matt
      ummm, you just did.

January 19, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • Pedro

Sweet sweet irony, always cheers me up.

January 19, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
  11. ikjyotsinghkohli1

The universe itself is based on physics and mathematics. Our current universe is described by a perfect-fluid background, and belongs to a six-dimensional isometry group, and is also top-down causal. It seems a very natural and practical extension to understand that there is a reason behind this, and therefore, it is the SIMPLEST argument to invoke a creator. There is absolutely no reason for these things to be in a random, meaningless universe.

January 19, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So because you don't know how the universe began, therefore it MUST be a god? Why? That is lazy thinking. Why not continue to learn how the universe began rather than simply give up?

January 19, 2013 at 5:49 pm |
    • Lines

Amen, praise God.

January 19, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
    • logicalfallacy

your logical fallacy is called: appeal to ignorance
      epic fail.

January 19, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
  12. Melissa

My 9 year old nephew is being bullied at his Utah school because he is not a mormon and he is an atheist...He is a remarkable boy with remarkable parents that support him and are educating his school teacher and their staff.

January 19, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • Akira

They should kick the snot out of you, Elison; that's wha( trolls deserve.

January 19, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
    • Eilson

go pound sand d-bag

January 19, 2013 at 5:49 pm |
  13. onemorehere

ATHIEST believe in knowledge=science and OMNISIENCE GOD can provide for this need...the Christian believe in the knowledge of God so 'OMNISCIENCE GOD' is the future of reliegion....all knowledgible God...OMNISCIENCE GOD.

MY SISTER IS ATHIEST SHE IS OK WITH SLAVING ANY ONE COMING IN CONTACT WITH HER blood related or nonrelations by bloodlines she just take adventage of all equally...for her own use dispite what come off all the rest of the humans around her...God is not in her fears only her self presevation at the expense of any one even her own children if it came to that...i keep my distance cause i know that is evil to me....or to my well being....

January 19, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • Akira

"MY SISTER IS ATHIEST SHE IS OK WITH SLAVING ANY ONE COMING IN CONTACT WITH HER blood related or nonrelations by bloodlines she just take adventage of all equally…for her own use dispite what come off all the other humans around her"...

What?

January 19, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
  14. bobby

Shame, for I know Jesus is a real person or God. Jesus is a nice person and heaven is a nice place. I have spoken with Jesus 90 to 100 times.

January 19, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • Need Proof

Prove it! I know you can not.

January 19, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
  15. mason

God is the worst word ever created by humans.

January 19, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
  16. mason

Among the educated and thinkers the God delusion is dying, and that is good.

January 19, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
    • Eilson

No, belief is not dying. It never will. It's just fashionable now to declare otherwise. You know, like caring for AIDS patients used to be. The elites will move on to the latest rage soon enough

January 19, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • ikjyotsinghkohli1

Please be more careful in your statements: Among the educated and thinkers include people like George F.R. Ellis, Einstein, Maxwell, Newton, and John Lennox. I severely doubt you would want to get into a debate with the likes of them!

January 19, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
    • John

After 2 university degrees in science, I guess I just don't feel any need to reject God to impress you.

January 19, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • Eilson

You talking to me?

January 19, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
    • Eilson

It is exactly the uneducated and unscientific – namely 99% of the people on here, who are rejecting belief. The real thinkers know better than that, and they don't troll here with wing nuts like you

January 19, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, nonsense. Most of the thumpers here can't figure out how to punctuate a sentence or spell words that have more than two syllables. They don't know the difference between "you're" and "your." They can't figure out when to use "too, to, or two."

I wouldn't count on most of them to be able to read road signs and operate a motor vehicle, much less interpret the bible or understand science and medicine.

January 19, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
    • John

Nobody told God he couldn't make a universe without a science degree... and here we are.

January 19, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What makes you think a god did it? Why is that your only possible conclusion?

January 19, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
    • John

God told me he made it.

January 19, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Next time he does that, John, be sure to videotape it.

January 19, 2013 at 6:32 pm |
  17. ikjyotsinghkohli1

It is disturbing to me as a physicist, how many people on this forum don't know about cosmology, the causal structure of the universe, the Einstein field equations, the Raychaudhuri equation, isometry groups, etc... Unless you know about these topics, you have NO RIGHT to claim anything about science and religion, or the universe. Please educate yourselves in terms of the science, just not random stuff you've read somewhere on some site.

January 19, 2013 at 5:38 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It is amusing to see you stomping around like Rumpelstiltskin, bellowing that anyone who doesn't have a degree in some form of science has "NO RIGHT" to be here.

You might be a great scientist (though I doubt it, considering your need to pat yourself on the back) but you're completely ignorant of our right to free expression.

In other words, blow it out your ass.

January 19, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • ikjyotsinghkohli1

So, Tom, if you're not aware of the scientific arguments, what possible positive contribution can you make to the notion of God and the universe? Remember, you asked me first, of why I felt the need to invoke a Creator, it is not my problem, that you don't like the answer.

January 19, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Look, fvcktard, if you think anyone here believes your tripe, you're delusional. You claim that unless one is a physicist, one has no right to discuss anything here. You are wrong. Furthermore, none of your claptrap proves in any way, shape, or form, that the universe was 'created' at all. You don't know that, and if you really WERE a scientist, you wouldn't be satisfied with that answer.

January 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And sh!twit? Learn how commas work, 'mmkay?

January 19, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
  18. CP

AnnieCee-
    It is not necessary for knowledge to be complete to prove there is no god. Asking someone to prove a negative is absurd. There is no logic that can be applied to religious belief. "God of the gaps" is not really a theory, it is just a phrase, but I understand why you believe that should be trashed – because it so well describes the basis of many peoples belief.

I believe you make my point when you said "The limits of human knowledge are PROFOUND. We've barely scratched the surface. There's plenty of room for God. " – The gaps are absolutely essential for god – no gaps no god.

January 19, 2013 at 5:38 pm |
  19. YEPthat'sME

I think it's strange how repelled people become when there is just a simple mention of God.

January 19, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
  20. Ellen Lindop

This reminds me of my life. I want to thank her for having the courage to write this and CNN for posting it. And please I dont need saving. I am very happy being a non believer and being a humanist.

January 19, 2013 at 5:35 pm |