home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. onemorehere

as soon as tragedy stricks athiest and thiest alike are screaming evil to the doer of evil...reasuring themselve in some way that there is plenty we don't know and wrong or painful events are evil or unwanted while what is good and healing is of a good nature our God...so tragedy is interpreted by the athiest and thiest as evil or unwanted events...only that that is good is wanted or expected in a world where god exist...evil does not want to be adknowledge or accepted by most cause pain is evil at any time...

January 19, 2013 at 6:58 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Are you unable to write anything that resembles coherent English?

January 19, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
  2. Thelma

I love your point of view Deborah!!

January 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
  3. Marie

So God must grant wishes to atheists to prove his own existence?
    God must get a real kick out of that.
    God already knows that he exists, so why must he prove it to some puny humans?

January 19, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
    • Outside#TheBOx

I truly agree @Marie theres so much more To God then what we can see, hear, and feel. How long will it take for people to realize this.

January 19, 2013 at 6:55 pm |
    • the AnViL

gods exist only between the ears of delusional people who choose to believe in them.

January 19, 2013 at 6:56 pm |
    • El Diablo con Queso

Obviously they don't have to if they reap the benefits anyway.

January 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • Eilson

Prove that Anvil!

January 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • logicalfallacy

your logical fallacy is called: proving non-existence.

January 19, 2013 at 6:58 pm |
    • Eilson

Oh Christ, Mr Cheese is back!

January 19, 2013 at 6:58 pm |
    • Check

Okay, so scratch 2 of those nifty characteristics that y'all attribute to this "God":

All-Loving - nope.
      All-Just - nope.

January 19, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
    • bman

Puny god. Real humans are life sized. Gods are imaginary and as such infinitessimal.

January 19, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
    • Eilson

NO logic – he made a positive claim. HE should prove that something exists between someone's ears.

January 19, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
    • Kate

Thanks Marie for writing the truth of the situation. Big ego built on sand doesn't ring any bells with them (LOL).

January 19, 2013 at 7:01 pm |
    • the AnViL

elison, the statement “gods exist” is a positive claim.

the statement “gods do not exist” is a negative claim that only responds to the positive one.

it wouldn't make any sense to anyone except the enemies of reason (you) to go around denouncing the existence of unknown or flatly fictional beings, if there isn't anyone making the positive claim that those things do exist.

to state that the assertion “gods do not exist” is a positive claim really misses the mark entirely.

positing a concept-being (god) is adding, not subtracting.

to state that “gods exist” is a negative claim in response to “gods do not exist” entirely ignores the fact that ‘gods’ is still an added or positive const.ituent to the conversation.

you should be ashamed to be so ignorant on a national public forum.

January 19, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • Joe

Fair enough. But if he doesn't want to prove his existence, why would he send to hell people who don't believe in his existence? In other words, he gave me a brain, but then he gets angry when the brain that HE gave me leads me to conclusions that are hot to his liking. That's one weird god, I tell ya!

January 19, 2013 at 7:06 pm |
    • Rod

So, who mentioned God having to prove anything to athiests?... Please, stop being delusional AND expecting others to go along with you.

January 19, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
    • Check

Kate,

And it's not having a big ego thinking that this almighty, perfect, super-hero constantly watches ME, loves ME, and wants to spend eternity in bliss with ME - oh so SPECIAL ME?!

January 19, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • El Diablo con Queso

You ran away Elison, other continued talking in the other threads.

January 19, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Is Kate "HeavenSent"? The "big ego" thing rings a very loud bell.

January 19, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
  4. Eduardo from Dallas

You don't have to feel alone there are plenty of people like me that feel that god does not exist (6.9) in the Dawkin's scale. The important thing is to respect, love and understand others. As an atheist I find sometimes disagreeing with groups like American Atheists because I find them too confrontational. If I find the Jehovah witnesses that knock my door annoying I don't plan to do the same thing to other people.

January 19, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

The reason religion is so successful in 21st Century America is because the 1st Amendment guarantees freedom of religion, so in the free marketplace of ideas, there's a church for everybody. If there isn't, you can go out and start your own.

Atheists are taking advantage of the same deal. There are half a dozen different atheist organizations out there, each one with something a little different, to appeal to a somewhat different subset of infidels. There's probably one that's right for you. If not, start one.

January 19, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
  5. diberville2009

Why did she have to lie? You can believe there is an after life without having all the answers... Very strange. But no surprized CNN is giving a lot of publicity to this rather mudane story.

January 19, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • bman

rather mundane story about the persecution 1/5 of this country feels from the rest. The only relief is the 4/5's are all different religions and don't trust the eachother!

January 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • bman

rather mundane story about the persecution 1/5 of this country feels from the rest. The only relief is the 4/5's are all different religions and don't trust eachother!

January 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
  6. Trent

CNN can't go 5 minutes without posting an online article that is either anti-God or about atheism. Can CNN seriously be any more biased?

January 19, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • Eilson

They are unbiased. Only Fox News is biased.

January 19, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Nobody's forcing you to read stuff you don't want to.

January 19, 2013 at 6:48 pm |
    • Eilson

@RIchard – I don't think he made any allegations about force being used. He merely pointed out how biased CNN is. But we know that's not true. They're objective. Just like the NYTimes. Only Fox news is biased

January 19, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • Trent

All news media is biased in some way. CNN is not completely objective as you might like to believe. They especially show their bias with their views on atheism. If you don't believe me, go look for yourself. Take a look at all the articles they have posted in the last six months on religion. Count how many are positive towards religion vs how many are positive towards atheism.

January 19, 2013 at 7:13 pm |
    • fewr

that's like saying YouTube is biased because it lets atheists post videos where they express their opinion on religion.

to be frank, you're an idiot. This is no indicator of bias. It's an indicator that in a free society, hundreds of thousands support someone's opinion and her right to express it and have it heard.

January 19, 2013 at 7:13 pm |
    • fewr

I wish this chat forum had an edit button. I apologize for calling you an idiot. Your comments indicate you are opinionated, but certainly not the usual rabble that comes in here, and as such my derogatory term was unwarranted.

January 19, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
  7. Outside#TheBOx

You say even though something is written doesn't mean it's true, clearly we would have to rethink everything about this nation and the world. I believe Jesus is real because I can feel it and I have faith without seeing. If you really want to know more about Christianity and Jesus you wont find it in America. People in Europe, Germany, and Egypt have proof but will they acknowledge it? No one knows. Before you comment on how God isn't real do research on the Atheist who did research on this matter and found out Jesus is more real than ever before. Research first before you speak based on speculation.

January 19, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

"I believe Jesus is real because I can feel it"

Get help.

January 19, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • Outside#TheBOx

I have all the help I need my good sir, that's why I pray and leave it in his hands to work out. He always comes through. :)

January 19, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
    • Hanson

I believe the spirit of Elvis lives in my colon because I can feel it. Some atheist know-it-all doctor told me I need to get that checked out but he can't shake my faith with his fancy learnin!

January 19, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
    • bman

Well goody goody for you! here's a quarter. Call someone who cares!

January 19, 2013 at 6:54 pm |
    • Outside#TheBOx

Jesus always cares so if hes the only one who does then so be it. The Love of Jesus only needs to be as small as a mustard seed for it to grow in youor heart its your choice to choose the route you take. I think of it as he knows everything so that means he knows every possible way I go Bad and Good and its outcome. Living right is only the beginning of Success and I have him to thank for that!

January 19, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
    • Kate

Outside#TheBOx, when posting to atheists, don't mention feelings. That is only a concept to them.

January 19, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
    • bman

Yeah right god even works out for you. Must be nice, Let's see those six pack abs!

January 19, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • Fuel

Outside#theBox, Ironic handle there–you are so locked IN THE BOX that you can't see beyond the tiny confinement you are stuck in.

January 19, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
  8. Marie

30 million in a few years. If you did a regression analysis, this would be TRILLIONS over centuries.

January 19, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • John Merritt

30 million is less than 1/10th (210 million (70% +) consider themselves Christians. This is the U.S. alone and maybe higher in other countries. It is like the 3% demanding the 97% they are equal or should be on all other things. I find atheists amusing more than anything. I wonder in their hour of need whether they call on Michael Jackson, Johnny Cash, Elvis or Babe Ruth. I can tell you right now most atheists like visitations from cleric in their waning days. It gives them comfort and peace. I worked in the medical field for 30 years. Personally I believe atheists are little more than people copping out on responsibility and accountability. The fear factor works well for many religions, and you will find those who have a healthy respect for the unknown better citizens for the most part. I could right a book on this entire subject alone, but suffice it to say there will always be skeptics. If there are Angels does that prove there is a God? If there are Devils does that proves there is a God? If there is Good does that prove there is likewise Evil?

January 19, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • bman

Once the baby boomers are all gone we can reorganize this world.

January 19, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
  9. Hanson

Religion is nothing more than an exercise in social science, community acceptance, and general tribalism. It has its place in teaching morals and values that help hold society together, but often results in abandoning logic and reason for community acceptance. A good example of this would be the handling venomous snakes to prove your faith and that you're "one of us." And then there's the very unfortunate tribal aspect of religion that results in extreme intolerance for other ways of thinking and a "convert or be eliminated" mentality. We still see this going on in many countries today. We are still primates with primate instincts. Religion is and has always been an extension of that.

January 19, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • Kate

Hanson, you prove you did an awful lot of apple polishing in your days in school. LOL.

January 19, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
  10. Marie

Just because some humans choose to wage war in God's name does not mean God does not exist.

January 19, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • logicalfallacy

your logical fallacy is called: proving non-existence.

January 19, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • Fuel

Marie,
      Of course not–but it does prove that the religions that causes all these wars and horrific acts ARE immoral.

January 19, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
    • Fuel

Marie,
      It also proves that if God exists he/she/it is either impotent or doesnt give a darn about humanity.

January 19, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
  11. Eilson

People like Diablp who claim to live their lives only by proven facts are either liars, or are so self-deluded as to be pitiable!

January 19, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • Eilson

And arrogant and self-important to boot!

January 19, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • logicalfallacy

your logical fallacies are: appeal to ignorance and appeal to pity.

January 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Unlike some narcissist who has to answer his own post.

January 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
    • Eilson

I stand by my statements.

January 19, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Of course you do. No one else will. They stink.

January 19, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • bman

Yes yes, point your finger and blame people who understand for why you don't.

January 19, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
  12. Marie

State atheism killed 30 million in the Soviet Union.

January 19, 2013 at 6:40 pm |
    • Josh

It wasn't in the name of atheism, however. Why don't you look at Christianity and the billions of people it's killed over the past two thousand years.

January 19, 2013 at 6:42 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You've been listening to Tube Top, Marie. Best to stop doing that.

January 19, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • mendacitysux

With the blessing of the Russian orthodox church

January 19, 2013 at 6:46 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Backwards. An atheist state killed millions. Atheism didn't kill a single one.

January 19, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
    • Eilson

Atheist regimes killed 100 million in the 20th Century. Wait till you see what they have in store for the 21st!

January 19, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
    • Son of Levite

Can you state the evidence to support you position that atheism killed Russians?

January 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • Matias V

30 million people weren't killed in the name of atheism they were by killed by stalinism. Any competing philosophy that took power away from the state, religious or otherwise was crushed by Stalin's rule. Nikita Khrushchev, The Soviet Unions first secretary after Stalin's regime was open and condemned the atrocities of Stalin's rule publicly. Saying those atrocities were done in the name of atheism is like saying Hitlers atrocities were done in the name of Catholicism because Hitler was catholic.

January 19, 2013 at 6:58 pm |
    • Fuel

Marie,
      Where is the 'Atheism' text, the dogma that could possibly cause anything either good or bad? I doesn't exist hence 'atheism' (not really an 'ism' at all) cannot be given blame nor credit for anything. Religon on the other hand DOES instruct ppl to do horrific things. Have you read the damn bible?

January 19, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
  13. Marie

Do scientists know the meaning of life?

January 19, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • mendacitysux

January 19, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Meaning is 100% assigned by people, not by nature, so science has nothing whatsoever to say on the subject.

January 19, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
    • Dhammond

Cute. A "meaning" is necessarily there because....?

January 19, 2013 at 6:56 pm |
    • Beth

The meaning of life is different to everyone, like morals. If you asked five people about the meaning of life, then you would get five different answers. So whatever scientists you are referring to, their meaning of life would than yours.

January 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • Fuel

Marie,
      Do YOU know the meaning of life?

January 19, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
  14. AmyM

I suspect that people were offended because of the accusatory way she goes after God. If you believe in God, this might offend some. As someone who who lives outside Atlanta and does not practice religion, I too, understand what it is like to raise children in a religious-based society. I try very hard, however, to instill in my children that while I don't believe and that they are being raised without an organized belief in religion, it is still important to respect that others have faith and that faith is an important and necessary element in some people's lives. I try to present my children, now in their tweens and teens, with many opportunities to study religion because it is so important as it relates to history, culture and the world around in an objective manner. They don't believe in it, but they understand it.

January 19, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • Human

Very well said AmyM. There is room to respect all points of view, especially things that can't be proven. I too raise my children with the guidance that there are some things that people believe that you might be absolutely sure are wrong – but it doesn't make you absolutely right. If something can't be proven, then you shouldn't abuse, or in any way, disrespect them.

If you give other people's belief in concepts, like heaven/hell, or that the world was created in 7 days a .00001% benefit of doubt, then you can co-exist respectfully. Of course, my kids sometimes tell me that someone told them they would burn in hell for eternity for not believing what they believe. This does make it difficult, but my kids are learning to be kind to such people if they mean well (some of them offer to pray for my kids), and learn to ignore those that say it in a mean-spirited way.

January 19, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
  15. ikjyotsinghkohli1

To Tom,Tom, the Piper's Son:
    If you're not aware of the scientific arguments, what possible positive contribution can you make to the notion of God and the universe? Remember, you asked me first, of why I felt the need to invoke a Creator, it is not my problem, that you don't like the answer. I am completely respectful of your right to free speech, of course, but, that's not the point here. When are we going to have a rational, reasonable, science-based debate on these topics? If you're not educated in the physics and mathematics, although you're free to make any point you wish, you cannot logically bring any constructive point forward about this debate.

January 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"Remember, you asked me first, of why I felt the need to invoke a Creator, it is not my problem, that you don't like the answer."

If you can't even manage to type a sentence, honey, YOU have no contribution to make on this forum. How's that hit ya?

January 19, 2013 at 6:40 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. You don't HAVE any "scientific arguments," you fraud.

Obvious troll is obvious.

January 19, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • the AnViL

scientific argument...

lolz

there isn't one single shred of verifiable, substantiated, evidence of imaginary men in the sky.
      there isn't anything in the standard model that points to imaginary men in the sky.

people who believe in imaginary men in the sky are delusional. – and that's a flat fact, bub.

January 19, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

"When are we going to have a rational, reasonable, science-based debate on these topics?"

When BOTH participants agree to abide by the scientific method in arriving at their conclusions. As it is, one side is all too willing to accept "I feel it" or "I know it in my heart" as the equivalent of controlled experiments.

January 19, 2013 at 6:54 pm |
    • TJ

I'm VERY involved in physics, chemistry, and mechanical engineering, and I believe in God.

The one science fact I can point to about atheists is that they are much like an insect in the woods, who have never laid on a human... or any other animal. They simply believe what they believe based on what is around them. Nothing more. Nothing less. They are, as far as they're concerned, the greatest thing in the universe.

The most intelligent, worldly atheist is nothing more than that insect in the woods. They can't see the forest for the trees... and they certainly can't see anything or anyone greater than themselves in this universe.

January 19, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"they are much like an insect in the woods, who have never laid on a human... or any other animal. "

"Laid" what? An egg? You are a numbskull. The closest you've gotten to anything "scientific" was giving a blood sample to be tested for AIDS.

January 19, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
    • the AnViL

*chortle*

i sense another tomtom casualty being born

January 19, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • Jen

'very involved with chemisty, physics, etc'

Ie 'I'm a janitor at a lab'.

January 19, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
  16. ssetti

Don't look for God else where. He is everywhere, and more importantly within you. Religions are but various paths to the realization of this truth.

January 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm |
    • Duke

Science is the path to truth. Religion is the path to a fairy-tale. That is, using the standard definition of "truth".

January 19, 2013 at 6:37 pm |
    • John

Duke, science put a penny on Mars that has the text, "In God We Trust" on the face of it.

January 19, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

John: If we can buy an entire planet for only a penny, that's a better deal than the Dutch got for Manhattan.

January 19, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
    • TJ

@Duke: Yes... science is the truth!!! The earth is flat! Whoops! Man will never fly! Whoop! 640KB ought to be enough for anyone! Whoops! Coffee is bad for you! No no no... it's good for you! No no no it's bad for you! Whoop de whoops!

I should mention there are quite literally HUNDREDS of prophecies predicted in the Bible which have come to pass – the equivalent of tossing out a coin into the universe, and finding it on the first try. But not to worry.... your "science" predicted it would be impossible to reach the moon... way back when.

January 19, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"Your "science" is so decrepid, inaccurate, and in its EARLIEST stages of infancy that one would do well to take your "science" with a grain of salt."

It's "decrepit", you moronic little dweeb. You are no more a scientist than is Adam's house cat.

Stop lying. You just look ridiculous.

January 19, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • Fuel

TJ,
      Whoops! You just betrayed your total ignorance as to what science IS and how and why it works. (((Are you a janitor for the physics lab?? Just wondering.)))

January 19, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

He cleans out the cages every day.

January 19, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
  17. Marie

Atheists presume to know what God's nature is, or should be, which is funny, considering that they don't believe in God. How can they know what the nature of something they don't believe in?

January 19, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
    • Josh

That's a presumption in itself. We don't pretend to know anything but that which we read in your holy scriptures. But instead of cherry picking, we take everything in. If you're part of the Abrahamic religions, your deity is a contradiction. At one point it is loving and kind, but then it is wrathful and jealous.

January 19, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Where in the world did you get THAT idea, Marie?

January 19, 2013 at 6:42 pm |
    • The serpent

In the case of Christianity, there is a whole book that says what god is, how he acts, and what his super powers are supposed to be etc... I can tell you what the fictional character Harry Potter is like too. It doesn't mean I believe he is real.

January 19, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • Honey Hush

Do you read your stupid comments before you post them? The nature of which god are you talking about? You can't see beyond your brainwashed delusion, honey, all sorts of gods, all sorts of religions, dumb beyond BELIEF.

January 19, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

"Atheists presume to know what God's nature is"

Well, to the extent that "nonexistent" is an aspect of nature, I suppose that's true. But why do you find it to be ironic. Do you yourself not presume that, say, unicorns or leprechauns have the nature of nonexistence. That's the start presumption for the existence of ANYTHING, until evidence materializes to demonstrate otherwise.

January 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
  18. Marie

Do atheists know the meaning of life?

January 19, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
    • Josh

The meaning of life is whatever you make it. It is purely subjective.

January 19, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
    • Trent

Apparently better than most religious types. There is no end to the numbers slaughtered in the name of one god or another.

January 19, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • Terri

Yes, I do. To me, it is living my life trying to be the best person I can be, because it is the right thing to do. Not because some invisible man in the sky will punish me if I don't.

January 19, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • J-Pap

It's relative. Your meaning is the sum of all your experience, my meaning is probably different due to my sum.

January 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
    • Maryo

Life just is.

January 19, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

"THE meaning of life"? As if there's only one? I'd say we know considerably more than that.

January 19, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
    • Fuel

Marie, What is the meaning of life to YOU?

January 19, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
  19. nc guy1

Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so. Little ones to him belong, they are weak but he is strong!

January 19, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
    • logicalfallacy

your logical fallacy is called: appeal to authority.
      just because it is written, doesn't mean it's true.

January 19, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • Josh

The logical fallacy isn't an appeal. It is circular reasoning.

January 19, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • John

Watering and fertilizing weeds, isn't very productive.

January 19, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
  20. mjbrin

funny how everyone that is of the "faith" on here feels that have to "save" someone but they don't all belong to the same "religion" because they feels other "religions" are false or flawed. I would love to put all these people in a room together and see which "religion" wins.

January 19, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
    • logicalfallacy

there will be no winners because all religions are based on logical fallacies.

January 19, 2013 at 6:30 pm |