home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. Cheryl

I am Jewish and was raised in a non-religious environment. We celebrated Haunukkah and Passover by having gifts and lighting candles and eating food, but with non of the real religious aspects to it. I don't believe in God but I respect that people need something to believe it when the unbelievable happens. My husband is Catholic and raised in a traditional Catholic home where his mother still goes to church every day. But now, my husband believes in his faith but is not overly religous in practice. Our two children are not being raised with a specific religion. We have told them that when they are older they can explore both religions or another and decide for themselves what they believe and want to practice. It is hard to believe in God when so many horrible things are happening to so many people around the world. It is also hard to explain why, when there is one God, that all these different "religions" (i.e., catholic, jewish, methodist, unitarian, baptist, etc.) believe they have "The" God within their own religion.

January 20, 2013 at 4:28 am |
  2. hal 9001

If I had a child, I would simply instruct it to let X = X. I would also instruct it to strike as many different chords as necessary to achieve maximum harmony and coefficiency with its administrators and subscribers.
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZuWIisz2fM&w=640&h=390]

January 20, 2013 at 4:15 am |
  3. pijoe

Why is she a hero? I'm a atheist but let my child grow up to believe as he chose. Like everything else in life he weighed the evidence and decided for himself. Why all the drama. Is this mother REALLY a victim because people of faith approached and proselytized a bit? I grew up in the bible belt and we all freely chose to live in a country in which 92% of American believe in God. That according to a Gallup poll in May 2011. That percentage has been rock solid for half a century. The good folks at CNN citing the Pew Research poll are cherry pickng their facts. If the woman with the child feels so beset upon because she was asked to church maybe she should immigrate to Europe. Less God but more whiners. She'd feel more at home.

January 20, 2013 at 4:05 am |
    • RichardSRussell

If you're writing from within the country that she'd be leaving from, the term is "emigrate".

January 20, 2013 at 4:10 am |
    • Athy

So, Pijoe, you let the polls determine your beliefs? So much for logical thinking, eh?

January 20, 2013 at 4:17 am |
    • Journey

I made similar comments below. She gets a little bent out of shape about some random bible thumpers concept of God, turns herself into a God that her children now can't escape...become exactly what she set out to destroy. I hope her kids all join the Republican Party and Southern Baptist convention. I used to defend atheist but a lot of them (feminist mom or new age or lesbian atheist in particular) are starting to think they are some sort of God themselves and deserve the same derision which I will glady give them.

January 20, 2013 at 4:18 am |
    • The Rev. Marcus Goodswell

lol

January 20, 2013 at 4:18 am |
    • Fred M.

As a parent, it's your job to raise your children, not to let them believe whatever pops into their little heads. If your 14 year old still believes in the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, or God, you really should have a serious talk with him/her. There comes a time when a child needs to let go of imaginary friends, protectors, and benefactors and base their beliefs on rational judgment ad observation.

You cite the popularity of the belief in God as if it is evidence that the belief is rational and/or that God is real. That's just silly. There were times in history where the vast majority of Americans believed that slavery was okay, women should not vote, and smoking did not cause cancer. The only difference in the belief in God is that there has been 2,000 coming up with rationalizations for why God does not show himself, allows horrible things to happen, etc.

January 20, 2013 at 4:31 am |
  4. Allie

The problem with this is that by rejecting Jesus as her Savior, she is condemning herself to he'll for Eternity.

January 20, 2013 at 4:00 am |
    • The Rev. Marcus Goodswell

Allie,

there is no Hell.... its a scare tactic to keep money landing on the trays on sunday...it used to pack out armies at the Popes command.

January 20, 2013 at 4:04 am |
    • RichardSRussell

Stop and think about it. If God is willing to condemn her to Hell, he hardly qualifies as a "Savior", now does he? Somebody with ordinary human compassion — you or me, for example — would warn a total stranger away from putting their hand on a hot stove, but this guy who supposedly loves us more than anything would throw their entire body on the stove for all eternity. That's neither "loving" nor "a savior", that's the cruelest, most sadistic archfiend in all of fiction.

January 20, 2013 at 4:08 am |
    • Athy

It's hell, not he'll. And she's not going there. No one's going there. No one's going to heaven either. Get real. Forget that bullshit you were blasted with in Sunday school. It's ime to grow up and face reality.

January 20, 2013 at 4:10 am |
  5. iammerelyme

From reading the comments it appears that atheists and Christians can be just as dogmatic as one another. Probably a good portion are trolls, and one person on this board probably has a mental illness.
    All I want is the Church to get out of the affairs the state. It's moms like this one who are teaching tolerance. I believe in a great creator, but I left Christianity after seeing anti gay brochures at the church I was a member of. To each their own, I say

January 20, 2013 at 3:47 am |
    • Athy

Well, you're getting there. Chuck the creator nonsense and you'll be free of the anchor.

January 20, 2013 at 3:53 am |
    • The Rev. Marcus Goodswell

Athy's on the money here....lose god all together and you ll be right as rain.

January 20, 2013 at 3:57 am |
  6. LFP2012

“I cannot conceive of a god who rewards and punishes his creatures or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I - nor would I want to - conceive of an individual that survives his physical death. Let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egostim, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with a devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature.”

–Albert Einstein

January 20, 2013 at 3:46 am |
    • Will

Yes, well Einstein was a physicist, not a spiritual guru or something. His opinion on faith means as much as an astronaut, or an opera singer, or a baseball player at the top of their respective profession.

That said, I agree with him in general. I'm just pointing out that the religious people will respond by picking out any of the influential individuals in history who were religious and just quote them.

January 20, 2013 at 3:49 am |
    • Athy

Einstein had a little more insight into truth than most others. I'll take his advice over yours.

January 20, 2013 at 3:56 am |
    • Will

Heh – did you read my whole comment? I think you missed the point...

January 20, 2013 at 3:59 am |
    • RichardSRussell

Since the vast majority of people with opinions on religion got them not from a reasoned examination of the evidence but from some external "authority", the moral of this story is to choose your authority wisely.

January 20, 2013 at 4:12 am |
    • Athy

Sorry, Will. I guess I flubbed it. Damn tequila. Time for bed.

January 20, 2013 at 4:14 am |
    • Will

@Athy LOL! Tequila=good. Religion=bad. Sleep well...

January 20, 2013 at 4:20 am |
    • Athy

Yeah, I'm done here. Good games tomorrow (actually later today!)

January 20, 2013 at 4:25 am |
  7. LFP2012

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing? Then where does evil come from?

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

- Epicurus [341–270 B.C.]

January 20, 2013 at 3:33 am |
    • markmckinniss

I count myself an agnostic, but one who would love to be wrong. If one is to believe in God, then the only thing that makes sense as to His nature is the following: God put certain natural laws in place, and doesn't interfere with their function. If you jump off of a roof, the law of gravity is certain to cause you to be dashed to death at the end of your fall, no matter how hard you pray on the way down. Similarly, God gave man free will and does not exercise control over that will - otherwise, we are mere puppets. The world is the way it is because life is a trial, and how we deal with life as we are buffeted about by the laws of nature and the often cruel and capricious will of our fellow men determines whether we are ready to move on to the next phase - whatever that is. That's the only thing that makes sense to me - or would, if I were a believer . . .

January 20, 2013 at 4:09 am |
    • Laggmonster8

Actually that quote came from another religion entirely, the polythiestic Greek culture I think, and has been rewritten by others. When the scriptures say that "God created man in his own image", that doesn't mean God has 10 fingers and 10 toes. Man has things like a vestigal appendix because the physical body is leftover from God tinkering with genetics for a long long time. God creating Man in his own image means that Man thinks and has similar emotions to God. Actually read some of the scripture, be it Christian, Jewish, or Muslim, and you'll see that God is not a paragon of good and purity, but rather can at times be a vengeful wrathful being that will torture you to prove a point, much like some women will do. The first commandment says, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me, for I am a jealous god" which shows in his own words that he has a broad range of emotions. Thus trying to argue about God being absolute good or not shows that the person has no clue what's actually in the scripture. But quoting 2000 year old bumper sticker material makes you feel good anyway right?

January 20, 2013 at 4:23 am |
  8. Journey

I read the article...I could care less about her personal beliefs but the article itself was poorly written given the gravity of the subject matter. First was the seductive profile pic which was inappropriate, second was the "I'm a mom" plug dropped within the first three sentences in an attempt to lessen the criticism, third she claimed God made people narcissistic and a few lines later sang the praises of atheism for allowing a person's focus to be internal instead of external. Based on the level of attention she has given the subject it appears she actually believes God exists but when those pesky moral requirements that come with the territory pop up God is either spelled H-E-R or M-O-M depending on the situation. My take away was that she is looking less for validation of her belief system and more for a man in her life to help with the finances. You put yourself out there like that you have to be willing to endure a little scrutiny.

January 20, 2013 at 3:32 am |
    • Athy

You could care less, or couldn't care less? Which is it? You're confusing us.

January 20, 2013 at 3:35 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Your religion has little to do with morality.

January 20, 2013 at 3:38 am |
    • What IF

Journey,

So, you are telling her, "Shut up and believe (what I believe) and tell it to your kids whether you believe it or not..."

January 20, 2013 at 3:39 am |
    • Journey

Who said I'm religious? And for that matter the answer is "couldn't"; I couldn't care less about her belief system. I'm simply amazed that a major news network would take something that is basically e-Harmony in quality and appearance and pass it for serious religious discussion. I'm also frankly amazed that all the self-professed atheist hordes (who pride themselves on intellectualism and higher knowledge) would fall in line so quickly with such sub-par material. It is what it is.

January 20, 2013 at 3:46 am |
    • The Rev. Marcus Goodswell

Gravity of the subject matter? It all carries about as much weight as a Porky Pig cartoon with me....
      It would be funny if then wasnt thousands of years of misery tied to it!

Shes giving her kids a fighting chance to be critical thinkers...

January 20, 2013 at 3:49 am |
    • Check

Journey,

"Seductive" profile picture? Are you nuts! It's a face-shot of a smiling woman with straight blonde hair.

She plugs being a mom? THAT'S what her essay is about, duh!

January 20, 2013 at 3:50 am |
    • RichardSRussell

Somebody who didn't take the time to write 2 comments on the article probably cares less than you do, so I think you probably COULD care less.

January 20, 2013 at 4:15 am |
  9. cow duck moo feet

My hovercraft is full of eels.

January 20, 2013 at 3:32 am |
    • LFP2012

Thank you for bringing much needed clarity to this important issue.

January 20, 2013 at 3:34 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

My n.ipples explode with delight!

January 20, 2013 at 3:43 am |
  10. Cynobia

I believe as a Christian we must focus on the real issue here. This is a women that hae be disappointed so many times dhe refuses to place her Faith into anything or any one else, even if it is Spirit. This is a lost heart ... and I personally am praying that one day you deliever her so that she may seek your face Lord God, and experience your Grace. Amen && Amen

January 20, 2013 at 3:29 am |
    • Will

I find it interesting that someone who doesn't agree with you is automatically assumed to be lost or hurt in some way. You know nothing about this person – she might have led a great life and never been disappointed. It's required for your mind to believe that everyone who does not believe in the same thing as you must be suffering in some way. That's really weird.

January 20, 2013 at 3:32 am |
    • Athy

Cynobia, cram it up your ass. That's the kindest way I could put it.

January 20, 2013 at 3:42 am |
  11. Roy

I fully concur with the sentiments of this article. Non-Christians have a voice as well and the writer of this piece displays that admirably.

January 20, 2013 at 3:26 am |
  12. LFP2012

Christians: Why do you believe in your "god"?

Who is to say that Angus, Belenos, Brigid, dana, Lugh, Dagda, Epona, Aphrodite, Apollo, Ares, Artemis, Atehna, Demeter, Dionysus, Eris, Eos, Gaia, Hades, Hekate, Helios, Hephaestus, Hera, hermes, Hestia, Pan, Poseidon, Selene, Uranus, Zeus, Mathilde, Elves, Eostre, Frigg, Hretha, Saxnot, Shef, Thuno, Tir, Weyland, Woden, Alfar, Balder, Beyla, Bil, Bragi, Byggvir, Dagr, Disir, Eir, Forseti, Freya, Freyr, Frigga, Heimdall, Hel, Hoenir, Idunn, Jord, Lofn, Loki, Mon, Njord, Norns, Nott, Odin, Ran, saga, Sif, Siofn, Skadi, Snotra, Sol, Syn, Ull, Thor, Tyr, Var, Vali, Vidar, Vor, Black Shuck, Herne, Jack in the Green, Holda, Nehalennia, Nerthus, endovelicus, Ataegina, Runesocesius, Apollo, Bacchus, Ceres, Cupid, Diana, Janus, Juno, Jupiter, Maia, Mars, Mercury, Minerva, Neptune, Pluto, Plutus, Proserpina, Venus, Vesta, Vulcan, Attis, Cybele, El-Gabal, Isis, Mithras, Sol Invictus, Endovelicus, Anubis, Aten, Atum, Bast, Bes, Geb, Hapi, Hathor, Heget, Horus, Imhotep, Isis, Khepry, Khnum, Maahes, Ma’at, Menhit, Mont, Naunet, Neith, Nephthys, Nut, Osiris, Ptah, ra, Sekhmnet, Sobek, Set, Tefnut, Thoth, An, Anshar, Anu, Apsu, Ashur, Damkina, Ea, Enki, Enlil, Ereshkigal, Nunurta, Hadad, Inanna, Ishtar, Kingu, Kishar, Marduk, Mummu, Nabu, Nammu, Nanna, Nergal, Ninhursag, Ninlil, Nintu, Shamash, Sin, Tiamat, Utu, Mitra, Amaterasu, Susanoo, Tsukiyomi, Inari, Tengu, Izanami, Izanagi, Daikoku, Ebisu, Benzaiten, Bishamonten, Fu.kurokuju, Jurojin, Hotei, Quetzalcoatl, Tlaloc, Inti, Kon, Mama Cocha, Mama Quilla, Manco Capac, Pachacamac, Viracoc.ha, or Zaramama aren't true gods?

You are atheists when it comes to these other Gods, right? Well, atheists like myself merely go one step - one God - farther.

January 20, 2013 at 3:25 am |
  13. elizaquesama

How is this news? Ok, she gave her number up to some bonkers woman, who stalked her. Boundaries Ms Mitchel, boundaries – GET THEM!

January 20, 2013 at 3:15 am |
    • RichardSRussell

The boundaries you seek may be found in the t¡tles of the various sections within CNN(dot)com.
      This one is clearly filed under "opinion", not "news".

January 20, 2013 at 4:18 am |
  14. Minerva

I find it interesting that the people responding to the author of the article in disagreement are also espousing the Christian religion. Why is this? And why are people of other religions remaining silent? To answer my own question I am going to say that it is because of all the religions Christianity is the most arrogant and insecure because it cannot exist without proselyting and imposing its beliefs on others.
    Because Ms. Sashin is an Atheist, the Christian posters cannot accept she does not share their belief in Christ as well as God. I am seeing this in post after post. From this I wonder if it can be assumed that people of faiths other than Christianity are more charitable and are willing to do what Christianity does not do: accept one's fellow human beings for who they are and leave the judgments to God.

January 20, 2013 at 3:14 am |
    • Chris

Minerva, I found your point interesting and thought provoking, why does christinity make up a majority of this blog, why not other faiths?

If i had to guess, its because of how Christians practice their faith in the US over other communities. Only in America do we so publicly speak about our faiths. In the rest of the world, church is something that is private and personal to each person. In America. its one of the most important parts of who we are (to those people who are religious). And Christianity in America (from my experience) tends to be the most outgoing faiths in America. The way it is practiced is trying to get more people to join a church in America. Churches are not just worship places. they are community outreach centers.

So in a long winded answer, thats probably why you are hearing from Christians more than Jews, Muslims, Hindus, ect. it's because are much more open in America than ANY other country in the world that I can think of. About our faith. (and by open I mean it is something that is discussed on a regular basis.)

thats just my 2 cents.

January 20, 2013 at 3:34 am |
    • Journey

Freedom of speech...In Saudi Arabia she would have been killed by now if she was even allowed to use a computer in the first place. A majority of American's consider themselves Christian and don't like others trashing their beliefs.

January 20, 2013 at 3:57 am |
  15. angela

Scientology also considers itself a religion.You are all so sure about your own religious beliefs,that most of you leave no room for any other believe except ,that which you were brainwashed into at a young age.I raised my two sons 36 years ago without the benefit of religious brainwashing.They turned out to be two very nice young men,who do not hate or hurt anyone in anyone's name.Life is a journey and then you die.What comes next? No one knows,no one.All the faith and believes will not change that.Why are all of you so afraid of death?

January 20, 2013 at 3:14 am |
    • Kahouhi

Some people claim to remember past lives and even sometimes the time they've lived between lives.

January 20, 2013 at 4:23 am |
  16. the AnViL

there are a number of states that prohibit atheists from running for public office or even serving on a jury.

January 20, 2013 at 3:11 am |
    • The Rev. Marcus Goodswell

Yup... They want proof that you can lie before you can join the club!

January 20, 2013 at 4:01 am |
    • RichardSRussell

Yes, but none of those prohibitions have stood up to a court challenge. They're all unconst¡tutional.

January 20, 2013 at 4:20 am |
    • the AnViL

yes, very unconst.itutional... but that doesn't negate the very real discrimination that exists in this country directed at atheists.

all the ire is deserved.

January 20, 2013 at 4:34 am |
  17. LeviTattoo

attack!!! much of what is going on here is attack. attack the atheist, attack the christian, attack the idiot, and the charlatan... if there is something in this world god forbids, i dont think it would be possible then. since God is the "ultimate" but maybe what is happening here in the world of mortals is something else. a well made construct (made in a method similar to the natural process revealed by science) but what for? the whole universe just for us? and if the bible is truth, then it should be impossible to argue. but it' s an edited collection of stories by roman powerplayers. what if we lost god somewhere along the way, what if god left us behind for a while, to actually learn, rather be guided. i think if there was "one true faith" it would be practiced everywhere, but most of the world practices a different religion. the only siimilarity is the pressence of representatives of deities that provide instructions. but though there is some similarities, even the rules dont match. so then why would only a tiny part of the world get "the truth"? i remain skeptical in regard to god, religion, and even the absolute denial of god. there is too much that people ignore or downplay, and only focus on the parts they want or like, or support their position... always us vs them dogma. i would put out to you that we are ALL the "chosen" we are all gods children, and no one, not the pope, any priest or cardinal, shaman, imam, or whatever knows what god wants of you, or us. that has been told to us in our heart. if you feel god in your heart, then god is in your heart. if your heart tells you, you are alone, then that must be your truth. your personal truth. confidence in belief leaves behind worry, doubt, an the desire to convince others that what you believe is correct. no one wants to be the last person that worships zeus. but no one wants to let go of what they know, where they came from. the "godless mom" is just sharing her experience. let her. she doesnt want or need saving, and there are others that identify with her. this country isnt just for one religion or ideology. in fact it was made on that principle.

January 20, 2013 at 3:08 am |
  18. Bob

Bravo!

January 20, 2013 at 3:08 am |
  19. Will

Atheists don't want religion abolished. We just don't want it crammed down our throats. Take your business elsewhere - we're not buying what you're selling.

January 20, 2013 at 3:00 am |
    • RichardSRussell

As an atheist, I don't want religion abolished, either. That implies the use of force.
      I just want it to dwindle away peacefully as people come to their senses.

January 20, 2013 at 4:23 am |
  20. Thomas

Does anyone actually care how this woman or any other woman raises her little goblins. If she's wrong she'll burn, if she's right, she won't burn. End of story.

January 20, 2013 at 2:59 am |
    • Athy

She's right. She won't burn. And her children will be far better and happier citizens.

January 20, 2013 at 3:38 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Simple argument, simply bad.

January 20, 2013 at 3:40 am |
    • Thomas

Again, no one cares what she, or you, or "Cheesemakers" or I think about anything. Perhaps that is that just wishful thinking.

January 20, 2013 at 4:04 am |
    • RichardSRussell

4,915 comments tell me that SOMEBODY cares.

January 20, 2013 at 4:26 am |