home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. hal 9001

If I had a child, I would simply instruct it to let X = X. I would also instruct it to strike as many different chords as necessary to achieve maximum harmony and coefficiency with its administrators and subscribers.
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmLjVD2VAws&w=640&h=390]

January 19, 2013 at 2:31 am |
  2. TANK!!!!

Religion: because Alzheimer's can't get here fast enough.

January 19, 2013 at 2:19 am |
  3. Roger that

Take your Bible and change the cover to read Quran. Read it as though you are reading the quran and then get back to us.

January 19, 2013 at 2:12 am |
    • Roger that

Crap...that was for Phazon

January 19, 2013 at 2:15 am |
  4. Mlink56

Forcing religion on a child is just another form of child abuse.

January 19, 2013 at 2:09 am |
    • Ronnie Harper

It is child abuse, pure and simple. Religion is a pox on humanity, a disease of the mind.

January 19, 2013 at 2:30 am |
  5. akmac65

It is not necessary to mock others to have your own faith. As the article pointed out, faith is an individual decision, not a requirement. Values and faith may or may not be linked, note the number of both religious and non-religious who have done both good and bad.

January 19, 2013 at 2:06 am |
  6. Mike

I love Jesus! He cuts my lawn every other Thursday. Why all the fuss??

January 19, 2013 at 2:06 am |
  7. Just say no

Notice the majority of the intolerant statements are from people mocking people who choose religion.

Not everyone makes you a special case leaving postcards in your mailbox.

humm... what this world needs to today is snarky idi 0ts that ridicule people and feel they have the right to force their beliefs as many athiest comments here are saying, versus people who leave postcards inviting you to church in your mailbox.

tough choice.

January 19, 2013 at 2:06 am |
    • akmac65

Atheists have never come to my door trying to convert me. Neither have they mounted campaigns to discriminate against law-abiding citizens based on to whom they are attracted.

January 19, 2013 at 2:09 am |
    • Akira

akmac65: absolutely correct!

January 19, 2013 at 2:16 am |
    • TANK!!!!

Nonsense. Getting invited to church is like receiving a coupon for a free lobotomy.

January 19, 2013 at 2:22 am |
    • Julie Johnson

I'm sure that we could do a count and see what side is being the most snarky. Given the subjective nature of this, I don't see the point. I can only relate my personal experiences, which are that as a person who wants American to stand by its values of being religiously tolerant, I find it very demoralizing and insensitive to find a lot of people who seem to believe that "religious freedom" only applies to Christianity. I have watched repeatedly as people have said that this nation was founded on Christian principles and that we need to stand firm on protecting only those principles and pushing out everything else. That runs counter to our history, which shows that we were founded by people seeking to flee religious persecution because what they believed was different than what others believed. And our First and Fourteenth Amendments protect the ability to find God in any way we see fit - Christianity, Judism, Wicca, Muslim, etc. The path to God - or to decide there is no God - is a highly personal one. It's great for you that you don't leave postcards for people, but the ones who do outnumber you, if what I have seen is any indication.

January 19, 2013 at 2:37 am |
  8. Michael John Anthony

I think a lot of parents are in this situation. There is a lot of pressure to conform to religious norms. I have felt that pressure personally. The hardest part was disappointing my religious parents. Ultimately I realized that it was not my fault they were disappointed, and it was not their fault either. The problem is that believers are taught that non belief is sinful. But I am no more a sinner than the next person. I reject the dogma of hell and salvation. I reject the notion that a loving creator would use such tactics on human beings. My soul is not a chess piece in some cosmic game played by angels and demons.

January 19, 2013 at 1:59 am |
  9. brown

We you die, you simple do not exist anymore. Your body lay stinking and rotting until it stink no more. You become part of the
    Earth again for all eternity.

January 19, 2013 at 1:58 am |
    • The_Pacifist

Here, here... You become part of the Earth again until it is consumed by the Sun in about 4-5 billion years, then we will be stardust again... Which is where the atoms of our bodies came from... stardust.

January 19, 2013 at 2:02 am |
    • TANK!!!!

You just created a storm of cognitive dissonance in the empty head of some religionist somewhere. Congratulations.

January 19, 2013 at 2:04 am |
  10. Sheldon Whitman

Thanks for describing the way you want to teach your children. My wife is a strong believer in the Christian religion, while I do not believe in a supreme creature. Our children listened to both of us. They learned the fundamental of the Christian philosophy "Be good and Do good". I insisted each of them grow to respect everyone elses beliefs. In time they would settle on what they found as a base they wanted their lives to stand firmly on. They are both married now and are great people. I think your children are very lucky to have someone who believes holding firm to a set of personal beliefs is best.

January 19, 2013 at 1:55 am |
    • akmac65

Well put.

January 19, 2013 at 1:58 am |
    • SLoRider

The fundament of Christian doctrine is NOT "Be good and Do good". Unless I'm wrong, please show that in the bible. The fundament of Christian doctrine is that it is impossible for any person to be good and the only salvation (from hell) possible is grace through Jesus Christ. For someone married to a devout Christian you seem to know little about it.

January 19, 2013 at 2:08 am |
    • Akira

That would probably be because he doesn't believe in God, probably doesn't know or care about this...and lets his wife teach that portion of his children's education.
      It sounds to me as if his children did just fine regardless.
      My husband is an avid fisherman, and I'm not; nor do I care to learn...thusly, it was up to my husband to teach my kids how to fish.

January 19, 2013 at 2:31 am |
    • akmac65

Slorider....The meaning of Christianity varies with what gospel or letter you are reading, not to mention which church. Jesus certainly had a lot to say about leading a good life. The stuff about grace and salvation was added long after his reported lifetime.

January 19, 2013 at 2:34 am |
  11. Lizard Lance

I respect those who don't believe in God. I also respect those who insist the world is flat. I respect the fact that they are wrong. I respect the right the possess to be wrong.

January 19, 2013 at 1:52 am |
    • akmac65

I do not respect your dishonest use of the language. Your judgement of right and wrong gives the lie to your words.

January 19, 2013 at 1:59 am |
  12. bribarian

These Atheist Attention Wh0res and their articles are getting quite old and boring.

January 19, 2013 at 1:48 am |
    • Athy

Then don't read them. Did you ever think of that?

January 19, 2013 at 1:50 am |
    • AverageBowler

Maybe he had a moment of insanity where he thought something new and intelligent might be said. Obviously a ridiculous thought.

January 19, 2013 at 1:52 am |
    • TANK!!!!

We've been waiting for the religious loonies to say something "new and intelligent" for millenia!

January 19, 2013 at 2:01 am |
  13. myatheistlife

For anyone that says religion has a historical and significant place in our history as if that is a good thing, I'd like to remind them that these same things can be said of the KKK, Civil War, violence, drugs and so on. It is not a valid reason to continue doing something or foster more of the same. In Germany, the Nazi party can be described the same way. Some things just need to be change, abandoned, but not forgotten. Religion is one of them.

January 19, 2013 at 1:47 am |
    • AverageBowler

I think you're on to something. Really starting a movement here in the intellectual circle of the CNN comments section!

January 19, 2013 at 1:48 am |
    • Moby Schtick

It seems like something has gotten under the skin of Average Bowler.

January 19, 2013 at 2:08 am |
  14. AverageBowler

I wonder if all "massive amounts of comments" on her blog post were the same as on this article about her blog post...

i.e. the same five people posting over and over and over and over again...

No.. I'm sure the country is really dominated by atheists and people who are "raising their kids without god." I'm so ashamed of my religion now! I wish I could be like the five commenters on CNN who literally comment about hating god all day and all night desperately trying to add purpose to their existences. The even more ludicrous thought is that I bet most of them have more than one screen name. Talk about sad.

January 19, 2013 at 1:45 am |
    • Akira

How many names do you post under?
      Oh, and what's your average?

January 19, 2013 at 1:59 am |
    • akmac65

What is sad is your exaggeration and lack of honesty.

January 19, 2013 at 2:02 am |
  15. Johhnystop

Tolerance please! No one has ever made an issue about my atheism nor would I with someone's religion.

January 19, 2013 at 1:43 am |
    • TANK!!!!!

The time for tolerating stupidity (especially the kind based on garish myths from the Bronze Age) is over. Thousands of dutiful Americans are defeating religious reasoning in the courtroom and on national television. We must do our own small part by ridiculing them and inducing hissy fits, which could in turn induce a much-needed carthasis that will purge the stupid of their stupidity. Or, it could just be lots of fun.

January 19, 2013 at 1:51 am |
  16. TANK!!!!!

Baseless faith: because a nail gun to the occipital wouldn't get the job done.

January 19, 2013 at 1:42 am |
  17. David

Thanks to Ms. Mitchell for her thoughtful essay and for expressing the views of many of us who share the longing for a public acceptance and respect of our non-believer status. Thank you to CNN for providing a space for such an exchange.

January 19, 2013 at 1:39 am |
  18. joe

please,

get over yourself lady. People have been living without the mythical Christian or Islamic or any other God for 1000s of years. You're hardly an earth mover.

January 19, 2013 at 1:34 am |
    • Clint

Maybe no earth mover, but she has the guts to be open about it. Many people don't and live in fear because of it their whole lives.

I fear losing my job because of it, because prayer and invokation are part of every official ceremony in the place where I work, and not participating can lead to being courtmarshaled.

January 19, 2013 at 3:02 am |
    • O.o

I'm sorry to hear that Clint. I mean the lack of belief you carry should not be punished. I am very open about my atheism, but am now working on my degree and am not sure if I should be so open about it anymore. The people that will be depending on me will be of all types. I wish it weren't so but this is a complicated world. People believing so critically in something they do not know and putting it into everyday scenarios makes it even harder.

January 21, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
  19. albie

I greatly respect and admire this woman for her bravery. I greatly respect and admire CNN for fostering free speech. One of the more egregious crimes of organized religion is the brain washing of children - it is unacceptable and should no longer be tolerated..

January 19, 2013 at 1:23 am |
    • End Religion

3 cheers for Deborah Mitchell!
      Hip hip hooray!
      Hip hip hooray!
      Hip hip hooray!

January 19, 2013 at 1:26 am |
    • The_Pacifist

Yes, good for Deborah Mitchell. Some of my friends are Christian and they raise their children as Christians. It is their choice. As an Atheist, I respect it and do not interfere. It is not my business. Perhaps people need to focus more on their own personal religious beliefs instead of worrying about the beliefs of others...

January 19, 2013 at 2:07 am |
  20. mk

So, shouldn't the Hubble Telescope have picked up on Jesus as he ascended into heaven at some point? He should be out there by Pluto by now. If not Hubble, then at least Voyager should have picked up on his progress. Oh wait, you want me to suspend my facilities for logic and critical thinking in regards to this? You can't have it both ways. You can't pick and choose what lines of *BS# you'll believe in. Either you believe it all or you see the cracks in the foundation and see the fairy tale for what it is – a metaphor for a sublime concept of existence. To realize the fragility of our being, to take joy in the moment, to understand what it means to be cognizant – that in of itself is enough to " blow one's mind". Please don't add the "Angry Dad in the sky" to ruin it.

January 19, 2013 at 1:17 am |
    • TANK!!!!!

The questions you are asking are beyond these loonies. You'll get the same "u need moar phaith" responses that everyone else has.

January 19, 2013 at 1:41 am |