home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. Mayla

For the masses here is some clarification. PLEASE STOP using Buddhism as a comparison to other religions. Buddha was a mortal man, NOT A GOD, stop referring to him as such. Buddhism teaches that life is NOT SIN BASED. While Buddhism maintains deities, they are numerous and there is NO creator.

January 20, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
    • Ommmmmmmmmmmmm!

Buddha transcended to a supernatural state, which effectively makes him a deity. Gods do not have to be creator gods.

Buddhism does actually presume a system of sin, though it is not called sin. That is the whole premise behind karma and samsara, that your bad behavior will punish you, and that the highest state you can achieve, nirvana, can only occur when you transcend desire, which effectively makes desire a sin.

January 20, 2013 at 6:23 pm |
    • Mayla

I am a Buddhist so I'm pretty much up to speed ;o) I disagree with your assessment of Buddha. The teachings followed in Buddhism are the teachings of a mortal man, not the son of a god, and by no means an omnipotent god.

January 20, 2013 at 6:31 pm |
    • JesusNotReligion

Mayla...Well said...Perhaps we need more former Buddhist's and Hindu's (those who received the Jesus of the Bible) to educate the West regarding the re-packaging of their former religion that is being embraced, for all practical intents and purposes, by even the atheist's herein – not to mention the unsuspecting, ignorant "religious" who are propagating its essential & fundamental tenants. Thank you for making the clear distinction in your post! JesusNotReligion

January 20, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • JesusNotReligion

Mayla....if I have misunderstood your post as being pro-Jesus over and agaimst the false teaching of Buddhism then I retract my above comment to you...After re-reading your post I must confess that I am not sure what your are defending.

January 20, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • Mayla

I am not defending anything, merely trying to clarify a common misconception that Buddhism is a god-based, sin-based, burn i hell or else 'religion.' Education doesn't seem to be high on the list of priorities when it comes to discussing such things.

January 20, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • Mayla

......burn in hell............not burn i hell...............derp!

January 20, 2013 at 6:46 pm |
  2. Kingofthenet

This whole God wants you to believe on Faith, so you are doing it for the right reasons and not to curry favor with it, would make a lot more sense IF the alternative wasn't ENDLESS DAMNATION.

January 20, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • Austin

ask God for faith and forgiveness, not yourself. That's the way you will receive it . You wont earn it wi

January 20, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
    • Austin

you are not damned. you have been justified by the blood of Christ. you condemn yourself through rejection.

January 20, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
  3. Wingnut2

Lets run some Vegas odds here. With tomorrow being the inauguration of Obama and MLK day, how many cities will be burned to the ground? Detroit and Camden for sure. Any others? Body count??? You guys want some skin in this game?

January 20, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • Akira

Sigh.

January 20, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • DE

WOW! You can see the futures? A little bit racist, maybe? Your screen name appears to be appropriate.

January 20, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • Gorsh

The threats for riots and such were made against Romney winning. Try to keep up.

January 20, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
    • Wingnut2

Is that a yes or a no?

January 20, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
    • Wingnut2

Come on, you know when all those "Obama supporters" celebrate they torch the place.

And I call them supporters because most of them are not eligible to vote (prior felonies)

January 20, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • Austin

the human race, not what race are you. Where does this idea come from? evolution or creation?

January 20, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
  4. Veronica

There is a question to be answered, and no one seems capable of answering it, not even people who are supposed to have all of the answers: scientists, atheists, agnostics, rationalists, humanists, empiricists, etc. That is my point.

January 20, 2013 at 6:00 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

i don't know of anyone claiming to know all the answers, especially scientists...
      i have no idea what you're talking about

January 20, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Cite anyone in those groups of people who has ever claimed to have all the answers.

January 20, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Veronica, there is far more than just *A* question to be answered, there are bazillions of them.

Honest people will settle for "nobody knows" if in fact nobody knows. Christians seem to be too insecure to do this. They prefer made-up fairy tales to an honest admission that the evidence isn't all in yet.

Notice how this undercuts science. Once you've convinced yourself that "God did it" is the answer, you stop looking for the REAL answer. Fortunately, science marches on, despite the heavy dead weight of religion trying to hold it back.

January 20, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Veronica, why are you unable to come to grips with the fact that we don't know? Why would you think there "must" be an answer, and that we "must" have it now?

January 20, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
    • Gir

The problem is, religionists are so used to being bludgeoned with absolute answers from their religions that they cannot fathom a reality without them. So they reject science for continually improving our understanding of the universe, and embrace archaic religions.

January 20, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
    • DE

No, christians think they have all the answers, in their book of fairy tales.

January 20, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • Gorsh

It is a simple logical trap that atheists set of theists. They claim to have no certain answers, except that religion is wrong. No need to prove anything, or answer anything beyond that. In fact, since you can't prove a negative, no responsibility to support their claims what-so-ever.

January 20, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Not everyone who doesn't share your belief says that "religion is wrong." Only that it's wrong for those who believe to insist that the world be run according to their beliefs, never mind the Const itution or our country's separation of church and state.

January 20, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
    • Alvin "Not-all-that-evel" Knievel

Why would you expect scientists to explain philosophy to you? The "meaning of life" is philosophy, and the answer depends on which philosophical school you accept. I tend to go with the existentialists, in that life has no inherent meaning for the individual beyond survival and perhaps the species role of biological reproduction. Meaning therefore is the responsibility of the individual to determine. Most are not up to this task, and will instead simply follow standard behaviors or whatever was indoctrinated into them as children or elsewhere.

To be able to create a meaning for yourself, an individual must transcend the internalized voice of society, which is quite difficult, and to do some searing self-understanding, then do what you authentically are. The vast majority of people never get anywhere near authenticity, having failed to even become aware of how much of their behavior and choices are just mimicking the indoctrinated ideas of others.

There is no inherent meaning beyond survival and reproduction. Nothing about any attempt at meaning beyond that implies or proves a deity.

January 20, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
    • The Bottom Line

Gorsh, you do realize that the people who make the claim that God exists are the ones responisble for proving that claim, don't you? Indeed, it has been the spectacular failure of religious people to prove that claim to be even remotely true that allows atheists to dismiss your claims.

Trying to shift that responsibility of proof onto atheists is the same as leprechaun believers saying you are the one who must prove leprechauns don't exist. It's double nonsense, being neither your responsibility nor even possible to disprove the non-existent.

January 20, 2013 at 6:31 pm |
    • tallulah13

Do you want answers, Veronica, or do you want honest answers? If you just want comfort, then choose religion. But if you want truth, you need to be wiling for honestly researched and verified answers.

Personally, I want the truth.

January 20, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
  5. Veronica

Instead of just saying that something is an example of such-and-such fallacy, how about explaining WHY it is?

January 20, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

sure... although i would hope that once one knows what the fallacy is in the particular argument, they can connect the dots and realize what the issue being pointed out is

January 20, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

You got the answer in your last post : IT'S A LOADED QUESTION. It cannot be answered by the blanket statements that you unthinking religious prefer and reject science for not producing.

January 20, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
    • Kingofthenet

A Strawman is a caricature you create of what YOU believe your opposition believes not what they really do.YOU think Atheists secretly believe in God, but deny him to live a evil lifestyle, that is NOT true.

January 20, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
  6. RANDY

THIS TYPE OF PERSON IS NOTHING NEW. A YOUNG PIECE OF DUST THAT HAS SOMEHOW BECOME SMARTER THAN THE GOD OF AGES.

January 20, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
    • Olam

Yet christians make that claim everyday.

January 20, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • JJ

And you typing in ALL CAPS makes you appear more stupid than usual.

January 20, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
    • Psst...

Your capslock is on.

January 20, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • Domine

The only difference is that one is a figment of your imagination, and the other exists in reality.

January 20, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
    • Athy

Turn off your caps lock, Randy. It makes you look stupider than you actually are.

January 20, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • tallulah13

You are nothing new, Randy. Humans have worshiped thousands of gods throughout history. There is not a single shred of evidence to support the existence of any of those gods - even yours. You have simply chosen to put your faith in the delusion which promises the greatest reward for the least amount of work: christianity.

January 20, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
  7. Kingofthenet

I can Respect a Good God, I might even Revere such a being, but having to WORSHIP at pain of Damnation is getting pretty Tyrannical in my book.

January 20, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
    • Devoted Christian

Hey! Less thinky, more faithy!

January 20, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
    • Domine

^ Blind faith is stupidity, You use religion as an excuse not to think.

January 20, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
    • CNN.Commenter

If you truly believe in a deity – you will worship regardless of your feelings as to the character of said deity.

January 20, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • tallulah13

That is not true, CNN Commenter. You can believe in something, even something more powerful than you, but not worship it if you think it is evil or unethical. It just takes personal courage.

January 20, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
  8. mason

Popping montheists' bubbles is like playin' with bubble wrap

January 20, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
  9. Esmerelda de Ville

I heard Joe Biden can fit an entire Idaho potato in his mouth

January 20, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
  10. Veronica

To the hedonistic atheists (or atheistic hedonists), I guess that the meaning of life is to eat as many steaks, drink as many beers, and have as many orgasms as possible in this life-time. Why take a billion years to evolve just for this?
    Their philosophy doesn't make any sense to me. It's, um, er...irrational. It doesn't satisfy me. It leaves more to be desired.

January 20, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • Kingofthenet

Well we can shoot some guns too!

January 20, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

They should put a picture of you next to the "straw man" entry in the Oxford Dictionary.

January 20, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

sure, ok... but i don't know anyone like that
      also, there are various forms of hedonism
      anyway, even if you're right and there are some atheists that adopt a questionable philosophy based on hedonism, such as the one you described, what is your point? That there are some atheists that are also hedonists?
      who cares?

January 20, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • Domine

There is no meaning of life itself. (Your) Life is what you make of it. Do whatever you please Veronica, but the natural world is meaningless and has no point.

January 20, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • Gabriel Being

This is one of the silliest things I've seen written here. Not believing in invisible gods or spirits doesn't lead to hedonism. In fact look at the record, there are endless cases of religious people whom publicly talk about morals and values then behind closed doors are womanizing, boozing, stealing and committing fraud. Those of us whom don't believe in invisible gods find that, in the end, the best way to live life is to realize we are interdependent and we must all rely upon each other to create an honest world where everyone can live. Atheists and agnostics like myself find that because we must live in a world with diverse beliefs, and we cannot rely upon an invisible god to make this world better, the best way to live is with integrity and ethics. I learned a long time ago that there are equal amounts of good and and bad people to be found in every "category" of human, regardless of religious beliefs, or ethnicity, or gender, or socioeconomic status, or level of education, or the language they speak. Look at any group or category of people, and there will be good people in that group, bad people in that group, honest and dishonest people within that group... as well as hedonists and altruists within that group.

January 20, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • Devoted Christian

Why don't unicorns eat twelve-leaf clovers? There is a question here and the filthy hellbound atheists are dodging it!

January 20, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
    • Domine

Being filthy is better than hypocrisy. At least I don't have to follow a religious philosophy where I have to love my neighbor. This is aimed at you devoted.

January 20, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What makes you think (and I use the word "think" with reservations) that atheists view life as a series of physical pleasures and nothing more? I'm beginning to think that whoever called you "stupid" was right. Atheists are no different than anyone else, you dim bulb. They simply don't see evidence that a god exists. Most of them have families, love and teach their children to be good people, try to be good citizens and neighbors, work at their jobs, pay taxes, take vacations once in a while, and generally live just like anyone else. Their lives have meaning here and now, unlike yours, apparently. If the only thing that gives your life meaning is the belief that you go to heaven after you die, your life here and now must really suck.

January 20, 2013 at 6:26 pm |
    • Steve Emmick

Veronica, maybe you should get up off your knees, quit worshipping something that isn't there and try some of those things you mentioned instead of knocking them. What people do with there life and where they go when they pass is none of your business because i've got news for you... there is no such thing as hell! Life is about relationships and experiences and my bet is, you're too scared to get out there and experience those things for yourself because it's obvious that you live in fear of what's to come in an afterlife... we don't care! we live, and that is something that the religious will never understand nor have the courage to understand. never since the dawn of man has there ever, ever, ever been any proof of any of the near 3,000 gods created by man and if you don't think that's unusual that have fun living a very boring life worshipping something that isn't there... just keep your beliefs in your home, that's all we ask.

January 20, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • tallulah13

I'm sorry that your humanity is disappointing to you, Veronica. I'm sorry that you don't feel special enough.

I think my humanity and my one life are enough. But then, I'm just an atheist, busy with hedonistic activities like working, commuting, paying bills and taxes, being a good neighbor, doing housework, and occasionally having a drink with friends. Gosh, my life is just one big party.

January 20, 2013 at 6:56 pm |
  11. Babs

You don't have to go to church to believe in God. Many churches are way out of the main stream. Just as old time religion, you can read the Bible in your house. You may be enlightened.

January 20, 2013 at 5:50 pm |
    • mason

God is identical to Nature, end of story...the rest is monotheistic nonsense sold as an evolutionary coping tool for childish adults

January 20, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
  12. Godoflunaticscreation

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMYIl5b-paY&w=640&h=390]

January 20, 2013 at 5:50 pm |
  13. Chien

Please check out the Magis Center of Reason and Faith.

January 20, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

and then what?

January 20, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
  14. Veronica

What's so nonsensical about a very good question: do scientists know the meaning of life?

"When they're threatened by your intelligence, they will call you stupid."

January 20, 2013 at 5:43 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

go on wikipedia and search for "loaded question"

January 20, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

You're stupid. And your lack of intelligence is evidenced by your question, not refuted by it.

January 20, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
    • tallulah13

Your life will have exactly the meaning you give it. The need to be special is a vanity, not a necessity.

January 20, 2013 at 5:50 pm |
    • Steve Emmick

who says there's a meaning to life? that's YOUR question... and who's life are you talking about. what about a cow or a horse or a bug? those represent life too... do they have meaning? who cares?!!!

January 20, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
  15. Godoflunaticscreation

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOTnBz-PCk&w=640&h=390]

January 20, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
  16. Johnny Lee Way

Why do children get Santa, The Easer Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, but adults only get God? Doesn't seem fair at all.....Then again, if there was a God, things might just be fair in this world........Nobody has a plan for us except for Mr. Karma and Lady Luck

January 20, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • JesusNotReligion

...and who judges good and bad karma?...what source of absolute truth determines good and evil?...and to what end does "lady luck" orchestrate events in our life if in the end we all end up dead and in the same lifeless, non-existent state. Yours is a suicidal, fatalistic worldview with no real meaning, justice or justification for this existence. My heart grieves for you, as I recall holding your empty, hopeless view. May JesusNotReligion open your eyes to what you are really saying and promoting herein,and may you know "the truth that sets us free" (John 8:32).

January 20, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
  17. yoyo

What people are not seeing is that there is duality in all this conversation – A God or not a God. Black or White. Heaven or Hell. What if these 2 things come from one source that is beyond any concept of god? And what if this is the place where science and religion are actually 1 thing? It is possible. I have experienced it and so have others. Advaita Vedanta philosophy explains this. The problem with people who want to believe in "God" is that they are emotionally attached. You have to see through the emotional body to overcome it. Detachment. If there is you and something greater than you then there again are 2 things. A person to be saved and a savior. But there is only one thing. And that one thing is both inside you as an individual and the entire universe. Atman (individual soul) and Brahman (universal soul) are the same thing. But in order to experience this you MUST be willing to allow there the possibility that there is no god. It will free you and your life will be entirely blissful. Regardless of what arises – war, love, stress, enjoyment. It is all you and you can savor each flavor without judgment. You can understand why Sandy Hook situations arise and know that it is simply happening because people do not know their true nature and insist on rights and wrongs and continuing to need saving, continuing to need to suck on their binky. Own your power people!!!! Be willing to call BS on yourself. To be truly honest. Heaven is here waiting for you to enjoy.

January 20, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Yet another loony with all the answers.

January 20, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
  18. Xtiaan

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Peh-UvZqPkE&w=640&h=390]

January 20, 2013 at 5:38 pm |
  19. Devoted Christian

Here is a poem that will make all you atheist deniers realize the truth of Jesus Christ.

Do not puncture a loon
    Oh mouse-like mattress!
    The spleen shrieks.

Our auctioneers rotate
    Just before the banshee strangles a turbot.
    The butterflies shout "Wow!"
    Terribly.

False goats are vicious
    Though not really radioactive.
    My bugle-player stupidly
    Garottes the Viking warrior.

Surely unsound gorillas read newspapers?
    A drenched turbot shrieks.
    My cliche-ridden banshee wobbles indefinitely
    Disguised as a lumpy passer-by.

Never consult a weasel
    Oh ye auctioneers!
    Surely the anglers plague rubber ducks?

Our turbot catches a train.
    Loofahs are plump.
    Oysters are bouncy.

The scarlet policeman nocturnally pummels wicket-keepers.

January 20, 2013 at 5:38 pm |
    • Akira

This sounds like something my friend AB, whom I miss terribly, would write.
      Or, perhaps Jill, who is equally brilliant.
      Thank you.
      I am convinced.

January 20, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

That is by far the most sensible pro-Christianity essay I've seen on this website all day.

January 20, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
    • JesusNotReligion

Pilate said to Jesus, "What is truth?"...And the Truth was staring him in the face...already beaten and bruised and on His way to the Cross for sinners just like him...How ironic...This is love beyond our comprehension, and still the mocking continues as does the testimony of God's grace through his fallible people who offer it unconditionally to all without prejudice: "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God"...all need this Savior, Jesus (not religion), "who for the sake of the joy before Him endured the cross...for all who will believe".

January 20, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
    • Adam Douglas

Sounds like Vogon poetry to me...

January 20, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
    • Gabriel Being

Beautifully illustrated... and inspired by heaven, my dear prophet.

January 20, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
  20. allen

not everyone may believe in god, but im pretty sure everyone believes akira and sam stone are mentally retarded.

January 20, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Because you are John Q. Public, whose opinions and outlook are shared by everybody who has ever lived and will ever live.

January 20, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
    • Akira

Why, allen? Because you make absurd statements without foundation and I call you out on it, I'm retarded?
      Obviously you don't know the definition of retarded in addition to ignorance of capitalization and punctuation.

January 20, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • tallulah13

I don't agree, allen. But I do find you to be petty and childish.

January 20, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Allen, why am I not remotely surprised that you are SURE of things you cannot possibly have any knowledge of?

January 20, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
    • Domine

I beg to differ

January 20, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Well, allen, dear, you're wrong. I believe Akira and sam are both smarter than you are by leagues.

January 20, 2013 at 6:17 pm |