home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • Faith Now • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. Ute

Believers and non-believers alike – please always be curious! The universe is too wonderful and mysterious a place to stop seeking. There is more to our lives than what we can touch. And most certainly we humans are not the greatest power and intelligence there is.
    I am an engineer who loves science and became Catholic as an adult. There is not enough room here to describe the knowledge, treasures and love I have found. And I am still learning every day. Please you too – be curious and seek.

January 20, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • Fuel

Ute,
      Yes ideed! Have you discovered the epitomy of Catholosism?? ..when they had almost total control over the known world? Yes that would be The Inquistion–where 50 plus Popes in a row out did each other contriving yet even more horrific torture for those with minds of their own? Some 50M ppl were slowly roasted to death over 6 centuries and The Church collected their assets. Darn I miss those days!

January 20, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
    • regal80

what an ugly thing to say Fuel...what was the purpose of that?

January 20, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
    • Ute

Dear Fuel, yes, I do know horrible things have been done in the name of the Catholic faith. They were utterly wrong and evil. And very good things have been done in the name of it too, for example what Mother Theresa did. I am not saying you should be Catholic – just don't use the shortcomings of religion and humans to stop seeking for truth.

January 20, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • tallulah13

My curiosity and search led me to realize that the concept of god is nothing more than the very human attempt control the unknown. Humans have worshiped literally thousands of gods, and there isn't a shred of proof to support the existence of any one of them. Gods always share the values of the culture that invented them, only travel where humans take them, and never emerge independently in two unrelated places at once.

On the bright side, my curiosity and search led me to the wonders of the universe as explained by those who look at it without the filter of religion. Even as a layman, I seek new knowledge and relish every revelation. It is beyond me why people need a god, when the reality of the universe is more wonderful than all supernatural promises combined.

January 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
    • Fuel

Regal80,
      Do you really have to ask that? Sometimes reality is ugly, unfortunately we must face in order to understand and counter it. Chirstianity has a long history of this sort of thing and if you read the Bible it makes sense–'Don't suffer a witch to live.' Today it is still happening–now in Africa–in the name of Christianity and true to the word of the Bible. It really brings out the worst of human potential..

January 20, 2013 at 8:21 pm |
    • Ute

Dear talullah13, I do not need God to help me through life but I cannot help but see evidence of him everywhere I look in this Universe. I agree to disagree and thank you for your thoughtful post. I am glad you seek knowledge and relish new revelations.

January 20, 2013 at 8:29 pm |
    • Fuel

Ute,
      MT was debatably good or not–she apparently justified the suffering (as apposed to relieving their pain) of those under her care as required by her religion. And nothing good was EVER done in the name of any religion that couldn't have been done without it. Yet endless examples abound of horrific deeds done ONLY because of toxic beliefs such as Catholosism

January 20, 2013 at 8:44 pm |
    • Ute

Fuel,
      Hitler and the likes certainly did not commit the horrors they did in the name of any religion. I do hope one day you meet a person who does something good for you only because of their religion.

January 20, 2013 at 9:06 pm |
    • Fuel

Ute,
      Sure Hitler did it in the name of religion–a Jew is not a separate race but a self distiction based on belief. And Hitler was (at least officially) a Catholic, the Church never excomunicated him and in fact help the Nazis, at least to some extent. And Nazi symbols were entirely mixed with Christianity.

Adolf Hitler:
      "My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded only by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before in the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice.... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.... When I go out in the morning and see these men standing in their queues and look into their pinched faces, then I believe I would be no Christian, but a very devil if I felt no pity for them, if I did not, as did our Lord two thousand years ago, turn against those by whom to-day this poor people is plundered and exploited. "

January 20, 2013 at 9:36 pm |
    • Ute

Many people use religion as an excuse for their true motives. If you're right about Hitler – then what about Stalin, Pol Pot ... we could go on about this for days. The good Catholics have done for me is not toxic and I do hope one day you will have such an experience.

January 20, 2013 at 10:14 pm |
    • Fuel

Dear Ute,
      If you are able to cherry pick in such a way that it does your life and the planet well–I can't argue with that, I'm happy to hear it.
      Those other dictators did atrocities in the name of another religion (Communism) and more so to further there own power. Stalin exterminated anyone with a little fire in their eyes–even his adamant supporters he killed–he was that paranoid and to some extent, properly so because his 'religion', socialist dogma, served only himself and others at the top. They were considered 'atheists' only because they squashed all other religions that might compete with theirs AND because the A word was equated with evil in America, hence that label was a convinient addition to dehuminize the 'enemy'....a common theme among all conflicts and rivalries.

January 20, 2013 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Chad

Ice is unusual in that it is approximately 9% less dense than liquid water. Water is the only known non-metallic substance to expand when it freezes. If ice did not float, it might have been difficult or impossible for living organisms to have existed in water; without the insulating properties of a top ice layer, lakes and ponds would tend to freeze solid and thaw very little during warmer periods

almost like it was planned that way...

January 20, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Planned? How so?

January 20, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Arbitrary properties of nature that have been explained by chemistry without the need for invisible old men in the sky = Not evidence for creationism.

January 20, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

January 20, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
    • Gir

Enumerating the properties of something does not explain how it got there. Give us a hypothesis to test the "Goddidit" explanation, and then you can begin to claim scientific legitimacy.

January 20, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
    • BFF

Almost is the key word there. But you don't believe it either.

January 20, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, brother. What a nutjob.

January 20, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • Athy

Life probably started in the ocean, most of which never freezes. Admittedly, life would probably be signicantly different if ice were denser than water, but there's no reason to believe it wouldn't have happened.

January 20, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • Chad

@Godoflunaticscreation "You understand how twisted your logic is? You are saying that the properties of ice were made so, so that organism could live on the planet. How about this one sherlock! The organisms thrived on this planet BECAUSE the properties of ice."

POST OF THE YEAR!!

January 20, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And had it not occurred, Chard, life here would either not exist or it would be different. That doesn't mean there's some big fairy who made it happen.

How many times are you going to make this same error? Just because we evolved and survived on this planet does not mean a god made the planet for us.

January 20, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
    • Saraswati

What Godoflunaticscreation said. More or less. I mean sure, there could be someone tweaking our petri dish, but it doesn't logically have to be so.

January 20, 2013 at 8:25 pm |
    • Chad

The point of the fine tuning argument is that when we observe the universe and our earth, we find that it is remarkably aligned with life existing.

"The laws of science, as we know them at present, contain many fundamental numbers, like the size of the electric charge of the electron and the ratio of the masses of the proton and the electron. ... The remarkable fact is that the values of these numbers seem to have been very finely adjusted to make possible the development of life." - Stephen Hawking

now, I'm not claiming that Hawking is a theist (he most certainly isnt), however I am claiming that the observed fine tuning is consistent with the Christian theistic claim.

January 20, 2013 at 8:51 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You have a very limited imagination, Chard. The universe isn't "fine-tuned" for life, you simpleton. WE are fine-tuned through evolution to exist in the universe. Your inability to imagine that other forms of life might have come to be had the universe been different is astounding. I wonder what you'll say if life is discovered on other planets but bears little resemblance to life here.

Will you say there must be another god somewhere "fine-tuning" that planet differently?

January 20, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
  3. lionlylamb

1Corinthians 8:5. “For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)” 6. “But to us [there is but] one God, the Father, of whom [are] all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom [are] all things, and we by him.”

January 20, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
  4. satsumagal1

Bravo! God is only a concept.
    Honesty in parenting should be applauded.

January 20, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
  5. tony

You just missed a wonderful opportunity to explain the Tsunami massacres. Yet you went quiet. Like every other Christian on here ALWAYS HAS TO. Why? Because there is no answer you can give and still have faith. So you dodge again and deny reality and of course, truth.

January 20, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
    • Austin

a tsunami is no different than a tornado or a car wreck. This is why the gospel is urgent. if you hate your neighbor, dont plead the truth to their favor. I am willing to suffer for the Lord.

January 20, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
    • vinster76

Tony: I have no answer to why tragedy, misery, human suffering, and tsunamis happen......I know this: Jesus told us that in this life we would always have the poor, and we would always have trouble – But he did tell us to take heart: He had overcome the world.....Where is it promised to you that we would always have pleasant lives.....??? Who promised you that? Did you have a grandmother who told you the sun would always shine, there would never be war, and there would always be cookies on your plate? CS Lewis, a former atheist and one of the most respected christian apologists said this: "God uses pain as a megaphone to rouse a deaf world.".....DId you get that?

January 20, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
  6. Kingofthenet

The Bible doesn't Strengthen Christianity, it destroys it. If is to be believed, Zombies emerged out of their graves on Jesus Death, and there was a total lengthy eclipse, but absolutely no non-Christian collaboration, what does that tell you?

January 20, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
    • Austin

it says the same thing as thing as the people who saw the red sea parted, and then fell away and complained and wanted to ego back to egypt. Human frailty, and a deceptive wicked heart. A need for a savior.

January 20, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • tallulah13

Austin? Citing a the bible to prove the bible doesn't actually work. You may as well claim Batman freed the jewish slaves from Egypt. Of course, there's no non-biblical evidence that there WERE any great numbers of jewish slaves in egypt, so the Batman option maybe isn't so far-fetched.

January 20, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Austin you are aware that there is not one shred of evidence of even the Exodus and most Rabbi's know it is not a true story.

January 20, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • Kingofthenet

Not to mention ZERO record of a million of them, 'wandering a desert'(Yeah Right) for 40 YEARS/

January 20, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
  7. Austin

When Adam sinned, immediately the effect was one of his sons killed his brother. Cain killed Abel. Devistating effects.

January 20, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Incredibly sound logic, that is. Totally not crazy. And you truly are the picture of perfect mental health.

January 20, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
    • tallulah13

When Athena, Aphrodite and Hera pressured the mortal Paris to judge which one of them was more beautiful, each tried to bribe him. Hera offered power, Athena wisdom, but Aphrodite promised him the most beautiful woman alive. Paris being a man, chose the woman, and Aphrodite delivered unto him Helen. It didn't matter to the goddess that Helen was already married to King Menelaus.

By choosing Helen, Paris started the Trojan war, which ended the lives of many Greeks and Trojans, and culminated in the destruction of Troy. Devastating effects.

January 20, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
    • Akira

Cain and Abel were not even BORN yet...isn't that one of the many punishments for Eve?
      Pain from childbirth?
      I call Poe.

January 20, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • Fuel

Austin,
      Indeed! That's what I call JUSTICE! That's why I naild my little brother to some old boards till he died–now the rest of my family is exonerated from any misdeeds.

January 20, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
  8. lionlylamb

Mathew 6:33 "But seek ye first the kingdom of God!"

John 18:36 Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world!"

Any questions regarding where to look for the Godly kingdom please refer to the Gospels for further knowledge regarding the kingdom of God whereabouts,,,,,,,,,,,

January 20, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
    • tony

Follow God's order first! See Genesis 1:14 right at the beginning!!! All the rest of the Bible is meant to be updated by the star signs.

January 20, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Tony,

Genesis 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

January 20, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
  9. Matthew

Lets believe in a God so we don't have to take responsibility for our actions. That way we can sit around and watch as the Earth wastes away because in the end we are going to Heaven anyway so what does it matter.

January 20, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
    • Fuel

EXactly–this life is essentially meaningless, pointless. One only need to bow in fear and false respect to an impossible imaginary beings and pay their last penny to the perveyor's of Gods' word while your kids starve in squalor and poverty.....but it matters none what happens here on Earth as it's temporary test for eternity at a place where NOTHING, Nothing ever happens–a place called heaven. ((That's why religion enhances the quality and value of this life on Earth))

January 20, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • james

Rev.11:18 "He will bring to ruin those ruining the earth" A promise,(prophecy)that will soon be fulfilled and Matt, truly believing in God does not leave anyone free to get away with anything. need more info? please respond seriously.

January 20, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
  10. Fuel

I believe that God created Chirstianity, Islam, etc., to test us. Those whom are gulible enough, willing to be tools, subjigate their GOD GIVEN minds to authority, fear and wishful thinking, cowardly enough to believe that God could possibly be so arbitrary, capricious and evil will need to suffer centuries of purgatory to cure them and develope intellectual discipline–before they are allowed into heaven.

January 20, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
  11. jungleboo

Finally, this issue is becoming mainstream. Congratulations to Ms. Mitchell for using the blog to express her feelings, and have it noticed by CNN. Quite like the "Julie and Julia" story, having one's ideas capture the imagination of the larger population. As each one of us lives our truth quietly and sincerely, but without fear of repercussions from the community, young people will accept it as normal and live it without question. One look at the extremism of the various religious camps around the world, and you know that it is time to let it all go. Fundamentalism is a mental health issue. We would do well to try to save them.

January 20, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • Austin

the mental health scare are people who buy in to the Jesus' wife thing as a demented hobby. Davinci was a nobody, and there is nothing to this evil deception.

January 20, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
    • jungleboo

Austin, perhaps you make sense to yourself. Did you make a meaningful remark about Leonardo da Vinci?

January 20, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • tallulah13

I think Austin believes that "the DaVinci Code" was supposed to be real. I also think that Austin is culturally illiterate.

January 20, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
  12. regal80

I believe in God, but I don't believe in the club we humans have made for him down here. I can understand how easy it would be not to believe, especially when our churches are full of some of the worst of the seven deadly than I've seen in the rest of society. We need to rebuild, we need more humility, charity, sacrifice and kindness and less power mongering, boasting and smugness. The problem with Christianity today isn't that everyone is talking the talk but not walking the walk (I know I'm not) but that they think they are.

January 20, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
  13. patrick

" I do not want religion to go away. I only want religion to be kept at home or in church where it belongs. It’s a personal effect, like a toothbrush or a pair of shoes. It’s not something to be used or worn by strangers. "

While I understand her point, it's unfortunate that this is her perception of church. Church is not a building of which religion is meant to be kept inside...in fact just the opposite. Church is a representation of the people of God going into the community and serving each other. Yes, they may assemble within a church, but it's merely a building. As a result, it will never and should never by it's definition be a "toothbrush." While I respect her views to raise her children without God, unforunately Christianity calls people to do the exact opposite of what she's asking. Though I agree that there's a difference between being respectful of one's beliefs and being judgmental.

January 20, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
    • Lisa

I don't think all churches (even those who hang a Christian sign outside) are interested in helping their community.

I've come to observe that some percentage of churches are salvation-only-driven. Their sermons are not about helping others, doing good, and setting an example for others. Their sermons are exclusively guilt-driven diatribes specifically about salvation and what accepting Christ can do for you. (I keep wondering how many different ways you can hear that said and still find interest in listening when it's really such a simple arrangement.)

Some also consider themselves to be Christian warriors, warriors for Christ who openly assert that they plan to force their views into schools and the community as a majority will.

These are the churches who drive others to say keep it to yourself. Besides, if you are a member of a good church who cares about their community – you lead by example and not by word so, in a sense, you really are keeping it to yourself.

January 20, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
    • Mark

" unforunately Christianity calls people to do the exact opposite of what she's asking"

You're right. It IS unfortunate. It is unfortunate that religions in general can't simply be satisfied with being something kept at home or in the church. Doctrine requires followers to be yelling from the rooftops, to be actively soliciting others because the nature of all such organizations (not unlike a cult) is to not just self-perpetuate, but to grow, and grow, and grow. And that is the crux of the problems for all religions. The reasonable people who practice them inherently understand that they should not be intruding on their neighbors' lives yet doctrine requires it of them.

January 20, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
  14. Kingofthenet

Christians are good at making 'Excuses' for their God's Awful Genocidal behavior, I mean to excuse ANY creature that kills EVERY SINGLE, Man,Women and Child on the Face of the Earth and every Animal on the land, except those on one small boat...Does ANYONE actually believe EVERYONE was sinful except Noah's Family...Really?

January 20, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • Zingo

Those babies and toddlers who drowned in the flood were sinful as they could be.

Just think – God massacred more kindergarteners in that flood than the Connecticut guy ever could. We need better God control laws in this country.

January 20, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
    • J

Evil is not God's work, but the devils.

January 20, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • Austin

Noah was simply the least defiled. And great in faith. The fallen angels had badly corrupted the Human DNA.

January 20, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
    • Zingo

God made the devil, so evil is God's creation and plan.

January 20, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
    • Austin

Hey what about all the Israeli children being killed by Herod at the birth of Christ , and Pharoah in Moses' day. Why do we still believe? Because the Holy Spirit is a genius, powerful God.

January 20, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
    • tallulah13

Sadly, "god-control" is unconsti.tutional. People have the First Amendment right to believe in the delusion of choice. I take comfort in the fact that a Jedi has the same protections as an evangelical.

January 20, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
  15. angie_warren

America is a country of freedom, specifically the freedom to choose. I still think the mother has a right to choose what to teach her children, whether it be atheism or religion. I also think the Methodist father has a right to choose. This is what this country is all about....FREEDOM TO CHOOSE!

January 20, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
    • tony

What freedoms does a murdered child get?

January 20, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
    • angie_warren

The discussion here is freedom of religion, whether it be abortion (yes, that's still legal in our country), or a child dying of cancer. What supreme being would allow a 3 year old to die of leukemia?

January 20, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
    • Tommy Boy

Nice trolling there tony boy. I suppose they would lose the freedom to be molested by priests and indoctrinated into a cult who worships an invisible superbeing that likes to kill people for his/its own entertainment.

January 20, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
  16. vinster76

I know christians can be rude and unkind......BUT – the majority of the vile comments on here have been from the atheists.......but it does prove one thing.....if you dont know the King of Kings, and He has not changed your heart, then you remain as you are......Dont talk to me about how you are good people without knowing or believing God, I sure cant tell how good you are by some of these hateful remarks – justify that!

January 20, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • Yeah right

You are violating the Ninth Commandment with your false witness about atheists. Lake of fire for you.

January 20, 2013 at 7:06 pm |
    • tallulah13

You have obviously chosen to ignore the insults and offenses given by believers. I suppose selective blindness is a useful trait among christians.

January 20, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • Mark

To you it would seem rude and unkind that an atheist disputes the truth of your religion. It's natural you feel attacked when your core beliefs are assaulted. What seems like a vicious attack is not. It's because they care about you and others in THIS LIFE that they disagree with you. Perhaps some day with more patience and introspection you will see this.

January 20, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
    • Bionicman

"Don't talk to me about how you are good people without knowing god" Wow-what a smug, ignorant cold person

January 20, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
  17. tony

This blog is a wonderful way to illustrate the incredibly variety of absurdities that religious posters come up to support their unnatural, irrational and totally inconsistent with every-day life experiences, beliefs. No wonder more an more Americans are dropping their religious beliefs.

January 20, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • vinster76

tony- please do the majority of us believers on here a favor and refrain from your ignorant remarks.....can you do that???

January 20, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • Austin

at my church , of about 3,000 665 people CAME TO FAITH for the first time in their life. that's not dropping. The Holy Spirit is building His eternal kingdom.

January 20, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
    • tony

So no rational answers, just name calling? I take it you can't explain or justify the Tsunami massacres either???

January 20, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
    • tony

While there are ignorant, yet demanding, Church Billboards that I have to drive by every day, I'll keep posting by way of a little compensation thank you.

January 20, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
    • tallulah13

Tony, christians think that they are above criticism. They don't want to acknowledge that the First Amendment protects all of us, not just them.

January 20, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
  18. Godoflunaticscreation

January 20, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
    • Austin

just thought, you could go to you tube and look under "near death experiences" of some atheist people who came out of a coma with a different opinion on afterlife.

January 20, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
    • Yeah right

Near death experiences are dreams. They cannot be divine contact as that would violate free will. If NDEs are contact with the divine, then there is no free will; if there is free will, there cannot be contact with the divine. You can't have it both ways.

January 20, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • tallulah13

Austin:

Were you aware that symptoms identical to NDEs have been experienced by pilots and astronauts in high-G training? The brain is a complex organism, and stresses like injury and illness can cause all sorts of unexpected reactions.

Descriptions of NDEs are translated through a cultural filter. Research shows that people raised in christian cultures see christ, hindus see hindu gods and so forth. Does this mean all gods are real? Or does it mean people who are near death have strange experiences to which they desire to as.sign meaning?

January 20, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Austin, I was a neuroscientist for a while so I don't need you lecturing me on a subject you know nothing about.

January 20, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
  19. Godoflunaticscreation

January 20, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
  20. Devoted Christian

What is the color of blue? Stop dodging the pertinent questions, atheists!

January 20, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
    • tony

I have five nails in each hand. Stand by for a major announcement from the Catholic Church.

January 20, 2013 at 7:06 pm |