home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. Ryan

I am not against any faith am against anyone telling how i can or can not live my life or raise my children because they believe in something.

January 20, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
    • Esmerelda de Ville

Did you know that Joe Biden can fit an entire potato into his mouth?

January 20, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
    • God's honest truth

Did you know that Esmerelda can fit an entire melon in her mouth.

January 20, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
  2. Iván

Religion does three things quite effectively: Divides people, Controls people, Deludes people.

January 20, 2013 at 8:18 pm |
  3. musicoxygensl

January 20, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
    • I Am God

Seriously? Are you telling people that Atheists are animal abusers? Please go back to school.

January 20, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
    • OOO

If you don't understand the real reasons we, as a society, consider things like that abhorrent, then you sir are one scary person.

January 20, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
    • LinCA

@musicoxygensl

You said, "Atheism: because I don't want someone telling me I can't light helpless animals on fire"
      Holy fucking shit, you are delusional, aren't you?

January 20, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Religion : Because Mary Jane can't fry your brain cells fast enough.

January 20, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
    • sam stone

Christianity: Because I am afraid of dying and need the assurance of an eternity in heaven

January 20, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
    • Damocles

So you want a deity so you can claim it told you to light the animals on fire? I dig your vibe.

January 20, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
    • musicoxygensl

You stupid, stupid people. Please do the world a favor, and don't postpone your trip to hell. Go now, your room is warmed and waiting for you.

January 20, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Are you sure it was autism you were afflicted with? Or was it total encephalic atrophy due to lack of use of the brain?

January 20, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
    • tallulah13

musicoxygensl: Do you think god will forgive you for blatantly lying? Do you think that you are too special to obey the laws set down in the Ten Commandments? Do you really think so little of your god?

January 20, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I foster homeless animals given up by their owners until they can be adopted. You are a moron.

January 20, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
    • OOO

Well, musicoxygens has moved to the next level. Can't argue logic or the facts, so move to name calling and damning those that don't believe like you.

Next step.... he will draw and quarter us :-(

January 20, 2013 at 8:26 pm |
    • Gir

"You stupid, stupid people."

Says the person with an admitted aversion to science and empirical evidence. And you still haven't answered my question.Why would a moral god allow an abusive, hateful person like you to enjoy eternal bliss?

January 20, 2013 at 8:26 pm |
    • Esmerelda de Ville

Tom Tom – I'm sure you drive past many a hungry and homeless person to adopt your filthy dogs. What a "humanitarian" LOL

January 20, 2013 at 8:27 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Go easy on him, people. He has special needs.

January 20, 2013 at 8:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

OOO, he'll probably have to look that up to figure out what it means.

January 20, 2013 at 8:28 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Esmer, you are still in the low reading group, aren't you?

January 20, 2013 at 8:29 pm |
    • LinCA

@musicoxygensl

You said, "You stupid, stupid people."
      You may want to reconsider who you call stupid. Your belief in your god differs in only one aspect from a belief in the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny. The only difference is that we allow, even encourage, children to abandon beliefs in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny, but not gods. This typically happens when they run out of baby teeth.

January 20, 2013 at 8:30 pm |
    • Olam

And..........the trend is confirmed again. Ask a religionist to provide justification for his claims, and he'll abandon any previous pretensions he had about caring for the fate of your soul, start foaming at the mouth and hurl childish insults.

January 20, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
    • Damocles

And Cruella de Ville does a faceplant into the conversation, spraying its last two brain cells into the air in a sad display of gray matter pyrotechnics. I give it a 3 out of 10.

January 20, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

I think you'll find that atheists are no more likely to BBQ than the religious.

January 20, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
    • Ron Stone

I don't recall any atheists demanding burnt offerings.

January 20, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
  4. Mandi

When you live in the Southern U.S, you are the minority if you don't believe in god, its as simple as that. I chose to raise my children without god because I want them to make their own choice when they grow up. Do I think they will become religious? Probably not. Because I am raising them to be logical people who care about their fellow man. When they have a foundation of knowledge that is untainted by religion, I think it gives them the chance to understand their world without answers like, "Because the Bible says so," or "Because God made it that way." I think that if religion were to be introduced at an age when an adult is fully educated, I don't think anyone would believe it. I truly believe the only reason religion has gotten as far as it has is because it is mandatory that small, gullible children be taught religion at such a young age. Why would one question the only thing they have ever known? That is why I prefer my children just not even know about religion until they are completely educated. And you CAN be good without god. My family is living proof!

January 20, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
    • Noemi

Exactly.

January 20, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
    • vickeyd

Good on you ! Stand firm and tall.

January 20, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
    • tallulah13

Well done! A good parent teaches their children how to think, not what to think.

January 20, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
  5. Austin

ooo. asking for faith is the most honest thing any of us can do. I ask for more faith regularly, and I pray that God helps me with unbelief. "unbelief" is our natural tendency. Thing is, even when God provides a miracle, we still fall away and sin, become selfish, have a pitiful day. The savior is a merciful giver of love and compassion and He is there for you, to give faith to those who ask.

January 20, 2013 at 8:14 pm |
    • OOO

Please use the reply button. I won't respond here.

January 20, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
  6. 007james

Atheists are a bunch of cry babies. Personally I'm agnostic and believe organized religion causes way more trouble than its worth. Go out, buy a bible or whatever your into and close down these organized tax shelters......

January 20, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
    • I Am God

Really seems like you are the only crying at the moment.

January 20, 2013 at 8:14 pm |
    • Grammar

You're, not your.

January 20, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
    • tallulah13

Your opinion is duly noted.

January 20, 2013 at 8:33 pm |
  7. Austin

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. All things were made through Him...........He came clothed in a robe dipped in blood and they called His name "The Word of God".

The Holy Spirit will reveal truth to you as you look into the living word, and ask for help. Pray. This is my prayer for you. Try it.

January 20, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7jClyinERY&w=640&h=390]

January 20, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • Athy

Man, what a load of bullshit. How could anyone with a brain believe that?

January 20, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
    • Akira

Whose blood?
      Poe.

January 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
    • vinster76

keep preaching it Austin, God says His Word will not return void.......Go man, go!!!

January 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
    • Mark

I find it funny how the REALLY lazy religious abandon all thoughtful comment and resort to just quoting passages from the bible as if that in ANY way says something. Perhaps everyone should just quote their favorite bumper sticker instead of actually reading what the next person has to say. Quoting the bible during a discussion is a religious person's version of putting your hands to your ears and shouting "LA LA LA LA".

January 20, 2013 at 8:18 pm |
    • Akira

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. All things were made through Him………..He came clothed in a robe dipped in blood and they called His name “The Word of God”."
      His name was "Word of God"?
      If it's the begining, whose blood is it??

Poe.

January 20, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
    • Damocles

Actually in the beginning there was.... Cat and Proxy Cat and Cat was with Proxy Cat and Proxy Cat was with Cat and they came down clothed in robes dipped in Holy Catnip.

Cat and Proxy Cat will reveal the Truth and all they ask if for you to cease being retarded. This is my Purr for you.

January 20, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
    • tallulah13

I thought it was Ceiling Cat and Basement Cat.

January 20, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
    • Damocles

@tall

No, no, that would imply one was above the other. They walk paw in paw together, as it should be.

January 20, 2013 at 8:45 pm |
  8. I Am God

I will do exactly what she wants to do with her children. Tell them that it is up to them to make the decision, not the parents or anyone else around them.

January 20, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
  9. Glen Constantine

I am a strong believer in God as well as His son Jesus. However I also believe over the years religion has become the opiate of the people. A means of control of large groups who all seem to believe something "just a little bit different" from the next group. Thus causing no end of confusion, questions that "religious leaders" are unable to answer because they cannot go beyond what they themselves have been taught. There is more evidence of the existance of Jesus Christ than there is of Julius Ceasar, if anyone just takes the time to do the research. Just read "The Bible". and forget the rest.

January 20, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
    • DrewNumberTwo

I've done research and found no contemporary accounts of Jesus outside of the Bible. Would you give me one?

January 20, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
    • OOO

Read the bible and forget the rest ??????? Listen to yourself!

January 20, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
    • vinster76

Glen: you are correct, there is more evidence of Jesus than Ceasar, and if it was in fact researched by some on here, we may not have to listen to the idiocy of same. ( I mean that in the nicest, possible, way). There are so many media places to go to hear honest, critical, apologetic teaching, but most will never take the time to do the research. Why? Because they are set in what they believe or dont believe.....In my own life, it took a crisis for me to reach up to the Savior. Sadly, some of the folks posting here may need to have a crisis of their own before their hearts are broken.....I hope this happens

January 20, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
    • Ingourious

"There is more evidence of the existance of Jesus Christ than there is of Julius Ceasa...r"

Coins bearing Ceasar's likeness were issued during his lifetime; some of those survive today.

January 20, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • OOO

Even if there were proof that Jesus existed, all of your work is still in front of you. People claim to be god all the time. And people claim others to be god all the time. Sorry, but after seeing every modern-day prophet get "outed", I just don't believe that any of the supernatural claims made concerning Jesus would stand up for a second if they were claimed today.

January 20, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
    • dogowner

DrewNumberTwo: Josephus, the Roman historian. But why do you also discount the accounts of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Peter, James? Why don't they count? Because they are part of the Bible? Why? Why would only Josephus hold credibility and the witness of the apostles not matter?

January 20, 2013 at 8:40 pm |
    • tallulah13

January 20, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
    • tallulah13

The bible was written by unknown individuals and edited into a final version some 200 years after the alleged events of Christ's life. Any book that did not promote the ideas that were championed by the church bureaucracy were thrown out. This gives the bible an undeniable, ultimately human bias. Thus the bible cannot be used to prove that the bible is true.

January 20, 2013 at 8:51 pm |
  10. Janie

I was a preacher's kid and I do attend a progressive church (Episcopal) currently. But, like Ms. Mitchell, I have dealt with those who think it must be their narrow view or the highway. I applaud her honest and her good character.
    I agree with her that children should do something ethical and right because it makes you feel good and it is just the correct thing to do. One should never be shamed or have fear be their motive for decent behavior. That typically seems to only lead to people who cheat, lie, and steal whether it be obvious or more subtle. Having been on the receiving end of violence, internet threats, etc. when I spoke up for seeing BOTH sides about a cross on our water tower which someone just outside our town complained about (the local powers knew from the beginning who it was), I fully understand where Ms. Mitchell and others like her are coming from.
    Can I prove there is a God? No, I cannot, but I have the right to my version of reality and religion just as Ms. Mitchell has that right as do those who think their version of religion is the only version have their rights. But, demanding that others conform to your reality is dead wrong and ilegal to boot. To this day, we still have to have surveillance cameras to protect our home and pets and small farm. We have had to have attorneys get involved and have dealt with threats that we will be forced to move out although it can be proven that we never had anything to do with the federal complaint about the cross on the water tower. But, our little town has become a place where people judge others very harshly, particularly when it comes to religion. But, we will not leave and we will stand for the rights of all as long as they don't abuse the rights of others.

January 20, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
    • Sad

Good for you, even though we disagree on religion (I'm an atheist), I respect and applaud your open-mindedness. If more christians were like you, I have more respect for the group as a whole. Sorry you've suffered so much persecution. One day we'll be free.

January 20, 2013 at 9:16 pm |
  11. Austin

He will give you faith if you want it.. it is a process, and it is great that you have all your opinions of why it seems hideous. Because when he does give it, when you ask because you want it, you will be able to truly love God, who's Holy Spirit is irresistable. You can't earn it for being smart and opinionated. It comes when you realize you need God to give you the faithon. It isnt based on personal qualification.

January 20, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
    • OOO

You can't ask for faith. You either have it or you don't. Precisely because the definition of faith is belief without proof.
      It's not a choice, do you understand?

January 20, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
    • musicoxygensl

OOO You can't ask for faith? You obviously haven't read the Bible. "and Jesus said to him...'if you can? All things are possible to them that believe" ..and the man answered, "Lord , I believe, help my unbelief"

January 20, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
    • OOO

@Austin,
      Hey, you there? Do you understand, or not?

January 20, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
    • DrewNumberTwo

So I'll believe in God if I believe in God?

January 20, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • OOO

@Austin,
      Still waiting ..................................................... snore

January 20, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
  12. Douglas

Stop discriminating against celibate LGBTQ Christians!

January 20, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Nothing to see here folks; just another religious loony. Move along, now. Don't feed it.

January 20, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
    • sam stone

Who is discriminatiing against them, Doogie?

You want gay people to remain celibate for the promise of a celibate eternity?

January 20, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
    • tallulah13

Douglas is a sad person who wants gays and lesbians to hate themselves as much as he hates himself. What a peach.

January 20, 2013 at 8:15 pm |
    • sam stone

doogie's closet is too confining

January 20, 2013 at 8:29 pm |
    • sam stone

i suspect that doogie, like rainy, is a self loathing closet queen

January 20, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
  13. Austin

it is interesting that we are either born twice , or we die twice. spiritual death after physical death. or born again into eternal life. That is glorious. and the reason I can imagine singing praises to my savior who gave me faith. forever.

January 20, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • OOO

Why didn't he give me faith?

January 20, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Praise Thor!

January 20, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
    • I Am God

Sorry, I would rather believe in my own little life afterward then believing in going to a kingdom with a dictator in power.

January 20, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
    • Devoted Christian

@ OOO Because you use your brain to much. Less thinky, more faithy, so that you may go to heaven and enjoy eternity in the company of such lovable characters as Pat Robertson, Terry Jones, and Jerry Falwell.

January 20, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fhvmg9oiWU&w=640&h=390]

January 20, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
    • OOO

@Divoted,
      I find it funny that Austin will sing praise to god for giving him his faith, but is not angry at god for not giving me faith. Selfish and arrogant.

January 20, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
    • tallulah13

Of course there isn't actual proof of any "life after death", but if the hollow promise of immortality in paradise makes you happy, Austin, then you go for it.

January 20, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
    • sam stone

Do you seriously desire ETERNAL LIFE?

January 20, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And do you want to spend it with someone like musicox?

January 20, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
    • Damocles

Huh, weird... I was born once and aside from a possible NDE or two, I'll probably just die once.

January 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
  14. lionlylamb

January 20, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
  15. lionlylamb

Some content was stripped by our security filters, but is should be possible for one of your Editors to embed the content for you.

January 20, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
  16. I Am God

Also do you really need to be baptized to believe in God? I don't think so.

January 20, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • Austin

No, but you do need the baptism of the Holy Spirit when you ask you will receive.!

January 20, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • I Am God

That is dumb isn't it Austin? You would think being born is enough.

January 20, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
  17. Godoflunaticscreation

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1BzP1wr234&w=640&h=390]

January 20, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
    • Super G

Where does good and evil come from if not from God? You talk about it like it just exists? Convince me.

January 20, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Ask the monkeys in yesterdays study that shows monkeys have morality. Please explain where monkeys get their morality from. Monkey Jesus?

January 20, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
    • Saraswati

@Super G, Good and Evil as used in secular discourse are slightly different in meaning than as used by many Christians. The words are attributed to secular ethics. For instance, if you're ethical goal is the greatest happiness of the greatest number what ever would achieve that is good and what wouldn't is bad. An action that intentionally is designed to actually decrease happiness (inflict pain or suffering) might be called evil (depending on the ethical system).

January 20, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
  18. Austin

Moses consecrated the passover festival, unleavened bread, first fruits, and feast of weeks. this is history, and the unblemished lamb's blood, and the festivals, were prophetic foreshadows of the Lamb of God who was crucified on the night of passover when Israel was sacrificing their unblemished lambs for the celebration.

January 20, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Still trying to convince yourself?

January 20, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

The brainwashing took well with you. Now close your ears and eyes and keep reciting your lines.

January 20, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • tallulah13

Castle Grayskull was the source of He-Man's powers. Inside the Castle lived the Sorceress, who granted Prince Adam his abilities and communicates telepathically with He-Man. To protect his family He-Man kept his double identi.ty a secret, sharing it only with Orko, Man-At-Arms, Cringer/Battle Cat and the Sorceress.

January 20, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • Damocles

I have the Power!!!!

January 20, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
    • Akira

Oh, malarky.
      This guy cannot be real.
      He is blending the OT and NT stories together; definite poe.

January 20, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
    • tallulah13

Oh, bummer. I hate wasting He-Man on a troll.

January 20, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
  19. I Am God

I agree with her 100%. Keep the teachings of your God at home and church.

January 20, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
    • Your Way

Will not stop warning people.... in love...not hate. God is omnipresent.. no one can hide from the presense od God.
      There wil always be the word of God.... voiced.. but is sounds like many don't want to hear.. because of the conviction it is designed to bring about sin, and salvation.

January 20, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
    • Perfrid

Wow you are oppressive aren't you? No freedom of speech? Or just for those that you agree with? If it applies to Christians then it must also apply to you no? But here you are Publically posting your point of view, directly going against what you do not want others to do. I can see why you agree with all of her article, its full of the same kind of errors that you jut made.

January 20, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
    • I Am God

Hey Perfrid, there is freedom of speech, then there is harassment. Seems to be a lot more harassment lately then there is freedom of speech. If you don't like people not believing in God, then keep your mouth shut and keep it at home.

January 20, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Perfrid, You poor oppressed soul! I hope one day you have the right to be married or hold office.

January 20, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
    • sam stone

your way: free people do not need salvation

January 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
    • tallulah13

Actually, Your Way, there is no evidence to show that your god or any god exists. I suspect that the founders of christianity desired a broader audience and thus charged their believers to spread the word. It's an annoying behavior that got many early christians killed for their efforts. These days, non-believers can't actually kill you, but at least in this country we have the freedom to point out exactly how empty your religion is.

January 20, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
  20. 111Dave111

Two facts:
    1) Atheists are intimidated and bullied:
    Phillips said, “To live out loud and to speak freely about my beliefs brings many clucking tongues.
    I would think it’s easier to come out as gay than atheist.”

2) There are many more Atheists (and sympathizers) than we all think:
    After her post ran on CNN, Mitchell said she was encouraged by the number of people who agreed with her,
    or who disagreed but wanted to have a respectful discussion.

Christians take note of your intimidating evangelism. It is quite Un-Christian.

January 20, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • Perfrid

Really? That's the best you can do? Jesus commanded the Great Commission on the cross. Spread His word across the earth, and when we do what He says to do, that's UN-Christian? I think that the least you can do is know the religion that you are against, and not some made up version of it.

January 20, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
    • Janie

I agree with you and I am a Christian. It is a true shame and crime to see how hate-filled many alleged Christians act. I know firsthand and still deal with bouts of PTSD (officially) as a result of our "good Christian" local officials and one neighbor who, thankfully, has since moved.

January 20, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
    • 111Dave111

Perfrid, I'm sure I know more about Christianity, than you know about my beliefs. "Jesus commanded the Great Commission on the cross. Spread His word across the earth, and when we do what He says to do" is a good excuse for inundating me with your thoughts, but those word were not written by Jesus or God, but by some other evangelists, 100's of years after Jesus' death. You asked for it. And I'm done talking about it. Bye.

January 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm |