home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. Patricia Kosovic

I understand this woman completely, while I was raised Christian and became a converted pagan, I'll follow my Dad's teachings. He said all religions had a bit of the Truth and to understand the divine we have to understand all paths. Evan a life without religion has it's own teachings as well. It takes a strong will to not conform. I commend you.

January 20, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
    • Dan

Your Dad was right but even a broken clock is right twice a day. If other religeons happen to concurw/ Christianity that's fine, But Jesus is the only one claiming exclusivity"I am the way, the truth, and life, no one comes to the Father but by me" no one else made that statement. So it's see ya Lao tzu, bhudda, Krishna, Allah , rasta fari Satanism, white witchcrarft , mother nature, Shamanism , Confucius etc.all.

January 20, 2013 at 11:42 pm |
    • Nathan

No, Dan, Jesus is NOT the only one claiming exclusivity. And even if he were, which he isn't, a claim is meaningless without supporting evidence.

January 21, 2013 at 9:26 am |
  2. Josh

Santa Claus is the one true God and Frosty the Snowman is his prophet. Anyone who disagrees with me should be pelted with Christmas marshmallows until they are dead..Cause the Bible says so...

January 20, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
    • I Am God

It isn't Santa Claus. It Thor dammit. And he is partnered up with Zeus boy from Greece. They a takin over the world man. Get your Gods right.

January 20, 2013 at 11:04 pm |
    • tallulah13

Is Rudolph the Son of Santa, sent to earth to be ridiculed and excluded from reindeer games so that those who believe in him would be taken from the Naughty list and put on the Nice?

January 20, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
    • FSM

All of you denying the superiority of the Flying Spaghetti Monster will be sentenced to a hell filled with STD-afflicted s-trippers and a volcano of stale beer.

I pray that you heathens will be Touched By His Noodly Appendage,

R'Amen.

January 20, 2013 at 11:08 pm |
    • I Am God

FSM where I'm from, beer is beer. So bring on that stale beer.

January 20, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
    • Archibald Smythe-Pennington, III

I'm sorry, I am still deciding. I must say, I can't seem to get past the thought of Christmas marshmallows. Minty perhaps. I imagine biting into one could be more effective than the best decongestant.

January 20, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
    • Kev

Now that's putting the X back into X-mas.

January 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
  3. Lpz

Why was the post of the guy who believes in God who responded to this lady taken down but not her post?

January 20, 2013 at 10:57 pm |
    • Answer

The guy had no worthy points. His words were just emotional pleas.

January 20, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
    • Archibald Smythe-Pennington, III

Divine intervention?

January 20, 2013 at 10:59 pm |
    • stan

God only knows.

January 20, 2013 at 11:00 pm |
    • AK

CNN – need any other explanation?

January 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
    • Austin

How am i guilty of anything cocerning the dream of the cat? what did I do wrong? what part dont you like?

January 20, 2013 at 11:17 pm |
  4. Stan

Hell is full of gummy bears and heaven is full of vanilla ice cream, think about it, where is mankind beginning Africa, garden of eden, probably the land of plenty, where is the mountain that moses supposedly went up and had the commandments written in fire, mt kilimanjaro, the real beginning of all religions, who came up with them? Some old guy who thought of a way to keep from being killed or sent out into no-where land.

Just a thought

January 20, 2013 at 10:56 pm |
    • Austin

Sigmaond? Hey i was up to chapter 40 in the book of Jeremiah, never had read the book. That night had this dream, I saw a stone archway, and a beautiful tile patio, and there was just beautiful and there was a whole chizzeled out. and an arm reached into the whole and pulled out a leather pouch, and opened it up . there were beautiful gems.
      The next day, I got to chapter 43 in Jeremiah, and it said.....and the Word of the Lord came to Jeremiah in taphenes, saying "take large stones in you hand, and hide them in the mortar in the brick, in the enterance to Pharoah's house.

this was the Holy Spirit, or an Angel, ministering to me in a dream. would sigmound freud agree with me. or a radio active decay scientist, astrologist, evolutionist? The Holy Spirit, is the reason we are here talking to you in love. For it was the God who commanded the light to shine out of the darkness, who shines in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. The Lord is There Jehovah Shammah

January 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
  5. Dan

Why do athiests always state their fear of"having something rammed down their throats"? Is it a Freudian slip?

January 20, 2013 at 10:53 pm |
    • Answer

Why do you religious tards always state Pascal's Wager?

January 20, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
    • Mayla

You would be better off asking the choir boys at the catholic church about that.

January 20, 2013 at 10:55 pm |
    • Nathan

Are you honestly ignorant of the origin of that common saying or do you simply not know what a Freudian slip means?

January 20, 2013 at 10:55 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Mayla beat me to it. LOL

January 20, 2013 at 10:56 pm |
    • Baal

Ive never said that I fear that. I mostly find it annoying when supposedely intelligent people spew their religious rhetoric like it was a fact or something.

Its NOT fact, its just OPINION...

January 20, 2013 at 11:03 pm |
    • Mark

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Perhaps the slip is yours.

January 20, 2013 at 11:08 pm |
  6. Ken

She is completely misguided. I could refute every one of her points, but not here. I pray for her and her children.

January 20, 2013 at 10:49 pm |
    • Answer

So your answer to her is to get on your knees and be stupid like a lump. Congrats.

January 20, 2013 at 10:53 pm |
    • Nathan

SO you can, but you won't.

Is that because you actually can't? I fail to believe you could. Especially since you refuse to do so.

Sad.

January 20, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
    • I Am God

How is she misguided in allowing her children to believe in what they want to believe? That isn't being misguided, that is allowing her children to live free.

January 20, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
    • Athy

She sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

January 20, 2013 at 10:55 pm |
    • Mopery

What a cowardly statement, Ken, that you could do something but choose not to. Instead you choose to fantasize with your pleas to an imaginary being on her behalf.

January 20, 2013 at 10:55 pm |
    • tallulah13

I think what Ken is trying to say is that he doesn't have any proof for the existence of his god, but he hopes people are naive enough to believe him when he says he could refute but chooses not to.

January 20, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
    • Glen

Oh noble one, show us the way.

January 20, 2013 at 11:05 pm |
    • Mark

I could win the next New York Marathon, but I just don't feel like it.

January 20, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
    • Keith

Please don't waste you time praying for me, but I agree with her

January 20, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
  7. Thomas

while i identify as christian, i do not identify as a particular denomination. i used to attend church more regularly than i have the last couple years, and don't see church going as necessarily a requirement. having said that, if you thoughtfully consider that with all our knowledge and science in and around this world and out into space, that we have found this planet to be the only one that not only sustains life, but so much of it–and on this planet that humans are at the top of the food chain so to speak–then you must consider that there has to be a 'creator' God/source behind the wonder that is Earth. the number that is the odds that we are alone, and the only highly evolved source of life anywhere points to a God conclusion. no to mention, if you are doing it correctly (which is too hard for some, i admit) that putting your Faith in something bigger than yourself is healthy.and curbs the foibles of your ego and narcissism. this essayist also, was VERY elementary in her thinking and her arguements AGAINST a God. if her beliefs truly lie where she portrayed them, her immaturity is her biggest obstacle in her life. not God. or christians.

January 20, 2013 at 10:47 pm |
    • Athy

Thomas, you don't really believe all that, do you? What if the earth didn't support life. We wouldn't be here to observe that, would we? Look up the anthropic principle and see if you can understand it.

January 20, 2013 at 10:52 pm |
    • Gir

Just more unfounded claims and already refuted ontological and teleological arguments. Yawn. How about you present a TESTABLE HYPOTHESIS for god and stop relying on sophistry?

January 20, 2013 at 11:04 pm |
    • urso2001

The universe is vast. Our scientific understanding of it I'd primitive. Frankly, we haven't te faintest idea what's out there. We can't even detect tge great majority of it.

January 20, 2013 at 11:04 pm |
    • Epidi

"the only highly evolved source of life anywhere " – hahahaha! I'm sorry, but this statement is so arrogant and misinformed. Look at it this way – just because it hasn't been found yet does not mean that it does not exist just like those who cannot see your god cannot prove to you he/she does not exist. And thinking that just because we are at the top of the food chain on our planet does not necessarily make us the highest evolved. Even a "lowly" ant knows enough not to foul its nest and that it cannot eat, drink, or breathe money. I am not an athiest. But I am more inclined to believe that we have made our earth the insane asylum of the universe and we are the patients running amok.

January 20, 2013 at 11:05 pm |
    • Athy

But we're learning more all the time. Religion impedes that process.

January 20, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
    • DJinx

Atheists do not have to form a valid argument against God. After all, Atheists are not the ones making the assertion that God exists. Jews, Muslims, and Christians are. In any debate, there arises the original assertion – in this case, religious people argue there is a God. It is then their burden to prove that God exists, not the other way around.

January 20, 2013 at 11:17 pm |
    • Mark

Thomas.
      Your "argument" for the existence of a god appears to be a conflation of three:
      1-our planet is the only planet that is capable of the of complex life
      2-we are on the top of the food chain
      3-belief is good for you

1-is an unproven assertion, but did you know that billions of earth like planets are projected to exist just in our own milky way galaxy?
      2-this just proves we have large brains so thanks evolution. Though if you think about it insects kind of have it over us. We could never eliminate insects from the planet. But they might be able to eliminate us. Fortunately we don't really compete with them. It would be rough if we had to since there is a significantly larger biomass of insects than humans.
      3-another unproven/unprovable assertion.

January 20, 2013 at 11:28 pm |
  8. Esmerelda de Ville

Atheism is a hate cult. They hate all that is good. Just look at the hateful ramblings of these poor souls. Then they prop up dead drunk guys to do the talking for them. LOL! They have nothing to say except whats on YouTube. Mindless. Clueless

January 20, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • Esmerelda de Ville

Any more slurred ramblings from Hitchens? Oh please! We're all waiting to see what he stumbles over next.

January 20, 2013 at 10:48 pm |
    • I Am God

Um seems like your the only one spreading the hate on here at the moment, but I guess you aren't that educated to know that.

January 20, 2013 at 10:51 pm |
    • Ken

Isn't he dead?

January 20, 2013 at 10:51 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Please inform yourself of the psychological term of projection. Christianity began as a cult and to me and most of the worlds population, still is. You would be hard pressed to find one educated man who would refer to atheism (the realization that there is no god) as such. Your wounds are plain to see with every word you type. Please continue and bleed for us.

January 20, 2013 at 10:52 pm |
    • Austin

because he poured out His soul unto death, and He was numbered with the transgressors, And He bore the sin of many, And made intercession for the transgressors. 700 BC messianic prophecy

Jesus was crucified right on the passover festival concecrated by Moses 1400 BC, and resurrected on the festival of firstfruits, also from 1400 bc. ascended into heaven on the feast of weeks, also a foreshadow from moses about 1400 bc.

God has given us His word and is a powerful sovereign God.

January 20, 2013 at 10:57 pm |
    • tallulah13

Anyone else think that Esme is a guy pretending to be a girl because it kind of makes him feel hot?

January 20, 2013 at 11:00 pm |
    • Answer

It's the same troll that was online last week. Just under a new name.

January 20, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
  9. TheSaxGuru

What's amazing is the gamble she's playing. If she's wrong and any of the other major world religions is right, she is putting herself and both sons into hell, unless they find God themselves. Pretty crazy game of chicken if you ask me.

January 20, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • David

Put them in hell? Gimme a break! If there were hell, it would be more fun than here, so I'll take it.

January 20, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
    • Answer

An issue of Pascal's Wager... so funny.

The charming and yet always stupid assertion of a religious doofus and Pascal's Wager. Another fail.

January 20, 2013 at 10:52 pm |
    • tallulah13

You know what's crazy? Thinking that out of thousands of gods worshiped by humanity, yours is the right one. Without any supporting evidence. You'd better hope that your soul is lighter than Ma'at's feather when Anubis meets you in the Hall of the Dead. Otherwise, it will be eaten by Ammit the Destroyer.

January 20, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
    • Epidi

Playing chicken? Living your life in fear of eternity is not living at all IMO. And that is hypocisy to boot. Doesn't your god say in his book somewhere that if you are lukewarm he will spit you from his mouth? Don't you think he'd know you were just placing a safe bet & to blend in with your culture? But, I am Pagan, and do not believe in hell – except the hell we make for ourselves & others in the here & now.

January 20, 2013 at 11:14 pm |
    • Keith

If Evangelical Christians are going to be there it would be hell.

January 20, 2013 at 11:17 pm |
    • Bob

Infinite punishment is infinite cruelty, endless injustice, immortal meanness. The God of Hell should be held in loathing, contempt and scorn. A God who threatens eternal pain should be hated, not loved — cursed, not worshiped. We have come to the conclusion that every man has a right to think. Would God give a bird wings and make it a crime to fly? Would he give me brains and make it a crime to think? Any God that would damn one of his children for the expression of their honest thought is not worthy of our time or admiration. A heaven presided over by such a God must be below the lowest hell.

January 20, 2013 at 11:18 pm |
  10. David

Religion is as old as human, if we consider Shamanism as one. The fact that we are self-conscious cannot be explained by science; not now, not in the future. Therefore, there will always exist an alternative explanation. However, that dillemma is the only true thing about any religion. Everything else in every religion is rubbish. More than rubbish, they are a way to exploit human beings' weakness towards death and get them under control for the King. All religions were created to create kingdoms. They are for sheep written by shepards. And sheep are tasty.

January 20, 2013 at 10:42 pm |
    • doris

Well, everyone loves lamb, but if you're the one cooking it, it can be quite overpowering. It's best to have a modern kitchen outfitted with heavy-duty exhaust fans that really draw the fumes to the outside.

January 20, 2013 at 10:47 pm |
    • tallulah13

I find lamb to be too gamy, but I have a weakness for a good gyro.

January 20, 2013 at 11:07 pm |
    • doris

Indeed tallulah13! There is something special about that wonderful sauce they use in those.

January 20, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
    • Keith

There you go, someone has to eat the sacrifice

January 20, 2013 at 11:19 pm |
  11. missy

Jesus Christ is not about religion. He wants to have a personal relationship with us. He wants to dwell in our hearts.

January 20, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
    • Athy

I don't want him.

January 20, 2013 at 10:42 pm |
    • Answer

That describes "static cling" so well.

January 20, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
    • tallulah13

I only have relationships with real people.

January 20, 2013 at 10:52 pm |
    • Keith

I gave up imaginary friends at about 9 years old

January 20, 2013 at 11:20 pm |
  12. Godoflunaticscreation

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhDPrP-tpeo&w=640&h=390]

January 20, 2013 at 10:39 pm |
    • tallulah13

That kid totally schooled him! Thanks for sharing.

January 20, 2013 at 10:44 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Your welcome. You should thank his father for teaching him to always seek truth. After all that is the point of this article. As long as we raise our children to think, christianity's days are numbered.

January 20, 2013 at 10:47 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

By the way, his father is the brave man who brought the prayer in school and under god case to the supreme court. Next time his son may win that case for him.

January 20, 2013 at 10:48 pm |
    • tallulah13

It gives me hope for the future.

January 20, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

We are already beginning to see the loosening of religions grip. Christianity is writhing in it's death. The loud cries of esmerelda and others are a testament to it.

January 20, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
    • Mayla

Sooooo if I don't believe in their god, 2 + 2 DOESN'T equal 4? What the f?

January 20, 2013 at 11:07 pm |
    • tallulah13

It's so funny watching that guy flail away, trying patronize a kid who sees right through his BS.

January 20, 2013 at 11:12 pm |
    • Keith

Evangelicals are so secure in their ignorance, it is astounding

January 20, 2013 at 11:24 pm |
  13. virginia

know- Religion only means being part of a crowd who share the same belief system i guess athiest can have a religion of their own –belief that is what Religion means a guethering of people for the same porpuse of mind...what the atheist are trying to create is their own Religion of nonbelievers- that's what they belief and have a common nonbelieve...of a creator of the universe the heavend and us humans as well as all living thing mostly they=athiest claim themselves to be scientist=knowledgeable people but they are far from knowing at all OmniScientist are far from 'all knowing". THE OMNISCIENCE GOD. the God of Abraham...father of Jesus Christ

January 20, 2013 at 10:39 pm |
    • snowboarder

you should actually educate yourself on the definition of religion.

January 20, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
    • Athy

This is your second post of this unreadable diatribe. It still makes no sense. Try again in English.

January 20, 2013 at 10:42 pm |
    • Dippy

Virginia, you write like a fifth grader. Go back to school. And stay awake this time.

January 20, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • tallulah13

Porpuse of mind? Do you mean porpoise? Like Flipper? Does your mind have dolphins?

January 20, 2013 at 10:46 pm |
    • Keith

I think I know what Virginia is trying to say.

She is saying that the Atheists are just as dogmatic and ignorant as Fundamentalist of any other sort.

January 20, 2013 at 11:27 pm |
  14. MIke - WA

THe trouble is that there is no true Christianity being practiced in the world today – especially in the United States. This hillbilly. kindergartenish approach to religion is turning even the most devote against organizaed religion.

January 20, 2013 at 10:38 pm |
    • Nathan

No true Scotsmen, eh?

January 20, 2013 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Devoted Christian

You atheists can do whatever you want, but as for me and my family, we will service the Lord. Jesus is coming.

January 20, 2013 at 10:37 pm |
    • snowboarder

jesus has been coming for millenia. if i had a nickel for every nutcase that invoked "jesus coming" over the past 2000 years i would be a very rich man.

January 20, 2013 at 10:39 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

...on the altar boys.

January 20, 2013 at 10:40 pm |
    • Austin

@ devotedchristian, I noticed the perverted comments made to you understand what a privelege it is to take time to tend to my Lord and Savior. Our God is an awesome God!

January 20, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"Service the Lord"? I don't believe that is exactly what the Bible says, is it?

January 20, 2013 at 10:43 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

You have to get down on your knees to service him. Ask the altar boys.

January 20, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • Austin

Messianic prophecy written 700 years before Christ by Isaiah in ch 53

700 BC Isaiah 53 He is despised and rejected men, A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we his, as it were, our faces from Him. He was despised and we did not esteem Him. Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows. yet we esteemed Him stricken. Smitten and afflicted by God. But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed.............when you make His soul an offering for sin. it goes on and on.

January 20, 2013 at 10:47 pm |
    • Peter

That is OK Christian. It turns out that christians and atheists are almost the same. The difference between beliefs of those two groups is almost negligible.
      1. Christians do not believe in Ra and neither do atheists.
      2. Christians do not believe in Apollo and neither do atheists.
      3. Christians do not believe in Buddha and neither do atheists.
      ...
      10,000. Christians do not believe in Thor and neither do atheists.
      10,001. Christians DO believe in Christ but atheists do not.

So the difference in beliefs is statistically insignificant.
      The difference in critical thinking and approach on the other hand, could not be greater.

January 20, 2013 at 10:49 pm |
    • Esmerelda de Ville

All lifted from Dawkins. Get a new mouth piece, please. Some original thought, perhaps. LOL!

January 20, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
    • Peter

Austin! Are you saying that Obama was predicted to be president 700 BC? Wow, I did not know that.

January 20, 2013 at 10:52 pm |
    • Peter

If you guys are after the original thought you would not be talking about the bible for the last 6000 years. There were few original add ons though, new testament, Book of Mormon, etc. but those were few and far in between. Mostly the same old stuff. So, yes, please some original though would be welcome.

January 20, 2013 at 10:55 pm |
  16. Rational Libertarian

Dear atheists

Stop rising to the bait.

Yours,
    A Fellow Atheist

January 20, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
    • Esmerelda de Ville

Please. The only reason you and all your fellow atheists are here is to take the bait. You live to fight and tear down. You are a hate cult. LOL!

January 20, 2013 at 10:39 pm |
    • Mark

Esmerelda should know. S/he is a master baiter.

January 20, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

The funny thing is when I was around 12 we had a maid named Esmerelda. One day she grabbed my dog and lifted him up by his collar to bring him downstairs. My dog was chocking and I asked her to let him go. She wouldn't listen so I had to punch her in the stomach. She let go then. That same night we fired her and kicked her butt out in the street. I always wondered what happened to her but now I know. ; )

January 20, 2013 at 10:44 pm |
    • pat

Read The Swerve by galblatt . Gives a lot of answers on how Christianity survived and paganism was stifled. Great read. I also raised 3 sons without religion, and they are wonderful adults in thier 30s who thank me all the time for not brainwashing them with nonsense.. as a note, I was raised catholic ane left in my early 20s when I discovered all the hipocrosy and never looked back but must confess I do not talk about it much, especially at work. Just dont need the hassle. Thank you for giving me a forum.

January 20, 2013 at 10:47 pm |
    • stephen

^dohohohohohoho

January 20, 2013 at 10:47 pm |
  17. aj

Great thing about this country is the freedom of your personal beliefs. Just so long as you're a Christian.

I'm an athiest and I say more power to this woman. Morals do not start or stop with religion. In fact, t here's a bunch of scary stuff in those books and people kill eachother because of ithose books.

January 20, 2013 at 10:31 pm |
    • Esmerelda de Ville

I bet you're friendly to animals, though. RIght? The sign of a true humanitarian. LOL!

January 20, 2013 at 10:35 pm |
  18. Godoflunaticscreation

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gTy2UlHWII&w=640&h=390]

January 20, 2013 at 10:29 pm |
  19. CM

For every one of Mom's objections, there is a rational Christian response.

But the tone of her objections suggests that there is something else going on. Some reason that she has made a conscious decision to deny the existence of an Almighty God.

Until that reason is dealt with, I suspect that she will not be in a position to consider the evidence for God's existence fairly.

Please know that none of us who claim to be Christians are anything remotely approaching "perfect". We recognize that we're deeply flawed, just like every other human on the planet.

But please also know that there are many reasonable, thoughtful and intelligent people who have put serious thought into this matter and have concluded that there is overwhelming evidence for the existence of a Creator.

I hope that in the fullness of time, you'll take a serious look at the claims of the orthodox Christian worldview and what I believe are the rock-solid evidences to support it.

January 20, 2013 at 10:28 pm |
    • Answer

"rock-solid evidences"

So show them.

January 20, 2013 at 10:31 pm |
    • snowboarder

until reason is dealt with religion will continue to thrive.

January 20, 2013 at 10:31 pm |
    • Laura

Nice, reasonable post CM.

January 20, 2013 at 10:32 pm |
    • Nathan

Sad that you are so uncomfortable with her decision that you feel the need to ascribe make-belief reasons to her life choices.

January 20, 2013 at 10:32 pm |
    • the AnViL

there is actually no evidence of your imaginary man in the sky.

i will concede – gods exist – but only between the ears of the delusional people who choose to believe in them.

January 20, 2013 at 10:33 pm |
    • joan

I was raised catholic and after exploring many religions, I came to the realization that I could not call myself a catholic since I did nto believe Christ was the reincarnation of God or was God. I do believe in a supreme force, or energy or whatever you wish to label it, but I do not believe in orthodox religion. For me organized religion is a cultural expression, not a proof of a God.

Humanism is closer to my belief.

January 20, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
    • Roger that

You don't have any real evidence. A book, with some parts written almost 3,000 years ago and edited a gazillion times, is not evidence.

January 20, 2013 at 10:42 pm |
    • tallulah13

How did you end up with "rock-solid" evidence when nobody else has it? Please tell us what it is. The world has been waiting for 2000 years.

January 20, 2013 at 10:48 pm |
    • Mark

Nice words but in the end just lots of claims with not a shred of evidence. So we all just trust you?

If you think you can prove the existence of your god please feel free to submit it to public scrutiny. People have been trying for thousands of years and none have succeeded.

January 20, 2013 at 10:51 pm |
    • Sarkastik1

She is not denying the existence of an Almighty God, she's saying she sees no evidence and doesn't expect any. I'm sure she'd change her mind if you your god came down to the local Fourth of July parade and changed all the hotdogs to fishes.

January 26, 2013 at 2:20 am |
  20. Austin

stop perverting Jesus Christ with the pitiful reputation of sinners. Christianity does not change what God DID.

January 20, 2013 at 10:24 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

God is pervert. He r@ped an underage "virgin" Mary, promotes genocide, slavery, pedophilia, incest, child sacrifice, oppression of women......

January 20, 2013 at 10:33 pm |