home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. Jen

C4Y, this is a more accurate and useful video about god and religion:
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOfurmrjxo&w=640&h=390]

January 21, 2013 at 1:24 am |
  2. Dan

As Christians ,Jesus tells us to spread the gospel(good news)

January 21, 2013 at 1:19 am |
    • tallulah13

Your personal belief has no bearing on my reality. Proselytization is annoying and unwelcome.

January 21, 2013 at 1:23 am |
    • BornAgainAtheist

The "Good News" being that God sacrificed his only begotten son, Jesus, to save us from a Hell that He created? Where God either fore-knew that we would reject him and be sent to Hell (and yet allowed us to be born/created anyway) or that he predestined us for Hell and conceived/created us anyway... Is that the Good News you mean?

January 21, 2013 at 1:23 am |
    • Answer

The Arabs are doing the same thing. You freaks just go right on ahead and annihilate each other okay? Do it faster.

January 21, 2013 at 1:24 am |
    • Gir

And, congratulations. You've done that. The task is completed. There is no place on the planet anyone could go to escape your cult. You can stop preaching now.

January 21, 2013 at 1:37 am |
    • Mark

The better news is that the gospel is just a fiction made up by men, so you don't actually need to share it.

January 21, 2013 at 1:46 am |
    • sam stone

Danny Boy: And my belief system tells me to ridicule those who purport to speak for god. That being said, get back on your knees and beg your petty, vindictive pr1ck god for forgiveness. Fair enough? Now we both are doing what our system tells us.

January 21, 2013 at 5:11 am |
  3. T-Roy

Self Confidence is an attractive quality. I appreciate your post and wish there were more self confident religious people in the world. The Insecure people who run around trying to convert others become obnoxious after a point and end up doing the opposite of what they set out to do.

People want to be with other people they see as their equals. They want to be with people that they share a common feeling with. No one wants to be with a spouse or significant other who is insecure and obsessive and that goes for friendship as well. Why do people think it wouldn't matter when it comes to discussing religion?

January 21, 2013 at 1:18 am |
  4. Dan

Looks like my post of12:23 got censored by the atheists at CNN chickens

January 21, 2013 at 1:16 am |
    • tallulah13

Isn't it fun when christians pretend to be persecuted?

January 21, 2013 at 1:19 am |
    • Answer

Of course they did.

But you didn't want to think out the other logical answer in that you may have had a naughty word – perhaps in the comment – that might have triggered the word filter.

January 21, 2013 at 1:20 am |
    • Word List

Bad letter combinations / words to avoid if you want to get past the CNN automatic filter:
      Many, if not most, are buried within other words, so use your imagination.
      You can use dashes, spaces, or other characters or some html tricks to modify the "offending" letter combinations.
      ---
      ar-se.....as in ar-senic.
      co-ck.....as in co-ckatiel, co-ckatrice, co-ckleshell, co-ckles, etc.
      co-on.....as in racc-oon, coc-oon, etc.
      crac-ker…
      cu-m......as in doc-ument, accu-mulate, circu-mnavigate, circu-mstances, cu-mbersome, cuc-umber, etc.
      ef-fing...as in ef-fing filter
      ft-w......as in soft-ware, delft-ware, swift-water, drift-wood, etc.
      ho-mo.....as in ho-mo sapiens or ho-mose-xual, ho-mogenous, sopho-more, etc.
      ho-oters…as in sho-oters
      ho-rny....as in tho-rny, etc.
      inf-orms us…
      hu-mp… as in th-ump, th-umper, th-umping
      jacka-ss...yet "ass" is allowed by itself.....
      ja-p......as in j-apanese, ja-pan, j-ape, etc.
      koo-ch....as in koo-chie koo..!
      nip-ple
      o-rgy….as in po-rgy, zo-rgy, etc.
      pi-s......as in pi-stol, lapi-s, pi-ssed, therapi-st, etc.
      p-oon… as in sp-oon, lamp-oon, harp-oon
      p-orn… as in p-ornography
      pr-ick....as in pri-ckling, pri-ckles, etc.
      que-er
      ra-pe.....as in scra-pe, tra-peze, gr-ape, thera-peutic, sara-pe, etc.
      se-x......as in Ess-ex, s-exual, etc.
      sl-ut
      sm-ut…..as in transm-utation
      sn-atch
      sp-ank
      sp-ic.....as in desp-icable, hosp-ice, consp-icuous, susp-icious, sp-icule, sp-ice, etc.
      sp-ook… as in sp-ooky, sp-ooked
      strip-per
      ti-t......as in const-itution, att-itude, t-itle, ent-ity, alt-itude, beat-itude, etc.
      tw-at.....as in wristw-atch, nightw-atchman, salt-water, etc.
      va-g......as in extrava-gant, va-gina, va-grant, va-gue, sava-ge, etc.
      who-re....as in who're you kidding / don't forget to put in that apostrophe!
      wt-f....also!!!!!!!
      x.xx…
      There's another phrase that someone found, "wo-nderful us" (have no idea what sets that one off).

There are more, some of them considered "racist", so do not assume that this list is complete.

January 21, 2013 at 1:41 am |
    • Mark

I'm with Dan on this one. Why use reason to figure out why your post didn't go through when imaginary worlds (of conspiracy) are so much more fun.

January 21, 2013 at 1:50 am |
    • sam stone

tallulah: "but, we're being persecuted for jeebus...."

January 21, 2013 at 5:13 am |
  5. T-Roy

"For me, born as a free thinker, I choose to believe in God somewhere when i was a youth. "

Everyone is born a Free Thinker.

Adults teach children everything they will turn into. Whether that be a Christian, Hindu or a Buddhist, or a xenophob, Misogynist, or a bigot.

Children have no control prior to the age of reason. The world would look a lot differently if religion were not taught to children until after the age of reason...

January 21, 2013 at 1:14 am |
    • BornAgainAtheist

I can identify with your angst, however, children must be taught something at an early age. I think it is better to teach them a wide range of beliefs held across many different cultures and let them decide. While every parent must, at a minimum, convey what they believe to their children, it is imperative that they (we) must acknowledge that what we believe is faith. I have faith in atheism. My Wife has faith in Christianity. My wife and I agree to disagree and our children will decide for themselves. Maybe they will become Hindu or Muslim... All of us must follow our own path.

January 21, 2013 at 1:32 am |
  6. Chris

Ironic isn't it, that if you read the article it talks about how the blog was marked as inappropriate and that CNN was condemned for linking it. Now I am a Christian, and I love my Faith, but I see nothing inappropriate in a person doing something that helps other parents in similar situations. The woman's personal beliefs are no threat to me, and I hope that she would consider mine no threat to her, but I can see where in a situation like this she or others with similar beliefs would feel quite alone. It is sad that Christians take it upon themselves to chastise others for being different. I am fortunate to have Pagan friends, Jewish friends, Christian friends and Atheist friends I do not judge them for where they attend (or don't attend) services. It seems to me we have much more important issues to deal with.

January 21, 2013 at 1:14 am |
    • tallulah13

Thank you, Chris. I have friends like you. I have no problem respecting the beliefs of people who respect my lack of belief. As you said, we have more important issues to deal with.

January 21, 2013 at 1:18 am |
    • BornAgainAtheist

Chris, thanks. If we all acknowledged that what we believe is faith-based, be it theist or atheist, this would be a much better place.

January 21, 2013 at 1:37 am |
  7. tracydushaj

tallulah13, Christians do not believe the universe was created for humans. Sorry. The only worldview that puts humans on a pedestal even remotely that big is secular humanism. "If we all join hands we can change the world" sounds more like an atheist/ humanist anthem than a religious one. Christians, and other monotheistic religions, believe that God created the universe for His glory. And if that seems egotistical to you, that's okay. He is, after all, God.

January 21, 2013 at 1:12 am |
    • Answer

Oh?

You should talk to Chad and get his spiel about the "fine tuned universe".. you'll fall flat on your on comment about what you just stated.

January 21, 2013 at 1:14 am |
    • tallulah13

Tracy, please explain exactly what is self-centered about believing that humanity is just another finite life form adapted to live on this planet? Please explain how that is more selfish than believing you will live forever in paradise if you put your faith in the right myth?

January 21, 2013 at 1:15 am |
    • Jen

tracy, who does the bible say the earth was created for?

January 21, 2013 at 1:21 am |
    • tallulah13

I guess tracy has no answer. Oh well. I gotta go. Night, all.

January 21, 2013 at 1:45 am |
  8. BornAgainAtheist

Happy now? :-)

January 21, 2013 at 1:07 am |
    • LinCA

Much better. :)

January 21, 2013 at 1:11 am |
    • Athy

Way much better. Welcome to the club.

January 21, 2013 at 1:18 am |
  9. C4Yourself

Many of these people were not religious prior to their event and most had never heard of an NDE before. For those that don't believe, watch eye-witnesses tell their stories:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FehcSO5YNUI&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2I5P36-Z8&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRuKuGBd0Bo&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSQ1XUWVLRc&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFJjf0fwFSA&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-OoKUFBfZQ&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfZy5sqVHiE&w=640&h=390]

January 21, 2013 at 1:06 am |
    • Answer

So funny.. near death experiences. You gotta love the freaks and their fantasies.

January 21, 2013 at 1:09 am |
    • BornAgainAtheist

Seriously? This is what you call evidence? Ever watch cable TV? Next...

January 21, 2013 at 1:11 am |
    • Gir

Applying supernatural explanations to natural phenomena that have already been explained by neuroscience = NOT SOUND EVIDENCE.

January 21, 2013 at 1:17 am |
    • Jen

C4Yourself, this is a more accurate and useful video about god and religion:
      [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOfurmrjxo&w=640&h=390]

January 21, 2013 at 1:24 am |
    • tallulah13

NDE's have been experienced by pilots and astronauts during high-G training. When a christian experiences an NDE, he/she see Christ. When a hindu experiences an NDE, they see hindu gods. NDE's are proof that the brain responds to stress in unexpected ways, and that those who experience NDEs translate them through a filter determined by culture. NDEs are not proof of any god.

January 21, 2013 at 1:36 am |
    • C4Yourself

NDEs are not the result of neuroscience because the brain is dead. No brainwaves or function. NDEs are not a dream because the brain has stopped functioning. This is proven. Once you actually begin to research NDEs you realize the similarities and commonalities amoung people's experiences. This is true among the believers and non-believers as well; young and old. The non-believers will always explain away why all of those who have seen the other side and come back to ths world are lying, crazy, or part of some conspiracy. Unfortunately, they are blinded by their own beliefs. Just reading the comments, it's not hard to see many of the non-believers want to believe this is something beyond this world, and a Creator except their minds can't connect the dots between this book called the Bible, which seems frought with inconsistencies, and the idea of a higher being. That's perfectly understandable and easy to dismiss, as is the common response by non-believers. The Bible was never meant to be a science or a pure history book, and frankly, it's a roadmap to salvation. See, if Heaven exists and it is indeed a place for perfection, it was make sense that we should try to achieve perfection in our own lives here on earth where God has given us free will. Of course, this is impossible. So for many, what religions and the Bible ask us to do is unachievable and frustrating. It's much, much easier to focus your belief system on yourself, your values, what you can see around you in your world, rather than on some amorphous ideas of a place called Heaven and a God I have never seen. Yes, this is much easier. The world around us says "Focus on yourself, that's all you need." It's a message of anything but humility and humbleness. My prayer for the non-believers is that you find faith and take this gift of life and free will that you have been given to explore and seek that which is beyond yourself.

January 21, 2013 at 10:35 am |
    • james

jen; I can't believe people are still using that clip. we have the wheel and fire now. catch up. and just for my 2 cents, there certainly are many Gods. which do you worship? please, not george.

January 21, 2013 at 10:39 am |
  10. Checker

What gets me are all the "one in ten-to-the-fortieth" type of events that had to occur for us to be here. Either we have a math system that doesn't work for reality or someone or something when through a lot of trouble for us to be here. Life went extinct six times on earth, DNA rotates one direction but not the other as though place here otherwise it would have developed CCW and CW, a planet the size of our earth had to collide to make the moon, the moon is huge compared to earth and stirs the core to make a magnetic shield, one of the extinctions is where the polutant oxygen killed everything off, a super nova had to make all the elements we have on Earth, Earth has all elements like none of the other planets we know of, gases and dust had to be in the right place for a blast to consolidate them enough to start a solar system, Earth has both land and liquid on the surface, univese expanded at precisely the rate to avoid collapse or dissipation. There are 50 things I could list that had to happen just right and in sequence, quantum particles know what will happen next. Probability math says multiply the number together to get the end result probability. My friends we are in a giant computer, a hologram of a world.

January 21, 2013 at 1:04 am |
    • Athy

So what? Doesn't matter how unlikely the occurrence. What's that got to do with it? It happened. Who the fuck knows or cares how long it took? That's totally meaningless. It may have taken 10 to the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 factorial centuries squared 100,000,000 times. Who knows? It doesn't matter. We'll never know anything about the universe before it happened. You religies have to believe some creator did it. Not required.

January 21, 2013 at 1:28 am |
    • Jen

Checker, you are the only one of us. It is all just your hologram.

More seriously,. the anthropic principle is adequate to explain the situation we are in. Essentially, to be here observing it means that probablistic selection is already done and out of the picture. Kind of like asking someone who has already won the lottery, whether he thinks he will have been a winner in his lifetime. He's already there. That's the point.

January 21, 2013 at 1:31 am |
    • Jen

Thanks, Athy. Your post came in while I was typing and I think we are saying pretty much the same thing. You are just thinking and typing faster :-)

January 21, 2013 at 1:33 am |
    • Checker

Athy,
      I am not a religie. All religions are completely man-made. People mindlessly take the religion of their local and of the enemies that overtake them. It is insane to believe in make-believe beings yet the country is based on it. Pretty terrifying when you think about it. Insane people killing others and going to war over the make-believe. Religion was created to control the masses and to make them do what leaders want. Maybe some day it will go away.

January 21, 2013 at 1:35 am |
    • Athy

Sorry, Checker, I know you're not. I was just waiting for someone to bring up the "finely tuned universe" argument to let loose my response. Actually, Jen's response was much better and logical than mine. Thank you, Jen.

January 21, 2013 at 1:57 am |
    • Checker

Jen
      Well a lottery is designed to produce a winner. The Universe, do you think we are winners for being here? What occurs next is everything goes back to where it came from. To zero, just like the way a lottery winner's dollars eventually make it back to zero. Thousands of planets found, and from heat/cold, location, wavelengths, there is no life. From a human standpoint and how we are stuck on this planet, there are no rules on us from outside on how we choose to live. As in this thread it appears humans have to engage in conflict with each other. Humans are animals and cannot be contained, and they will always turn to devices for escape. My original comment is saying that someone or something went thru a lot of trouble for us to be here. Normally one thing leads to the next. But after this Earth ball of life what is next. Seems this speck of dust goes away. Something extraordinary generated for no purpose at all.

January 21, 2013 at 2:03 am |
    • Damocles

@checker

Of the thousand or so exoplanets found, some show potential for possibly having free standing water, which is a precursor for possible life. While we have disregarded some planets based on the fact that they are too close or far from their star to support what we think of as life, this does not mean that they don't, or are incapable of, supporting life.

The instruments that we have are not quite fine-tuned enough to see the actual surfaces of these planets, so we can't really rule out any of them.

I am perfectly willing to accept that all life on this planet is unique in the universe. This makes it all the more important for humans to grow up as a species.

January 21, 2013 at 2:11 am |
  11. roman2819

Someone posted here, saying that he want to hear from buddhists or hindus regarding their beliefs. I come from a country in Asia where there are about 25% buddhists/taoists, 10% hindus, 15% muslims and 12-15% christians. People who are buddhists, hindus or muslims are usually born into their faith ie they follow what their parents believe. But some may choose a different faith later, ie: a free thinker or buddhist may decide to become a christian. Usually, however, muslims and hindu are more tightly bounded by tradition and hey stick to their faith all their lives. But there are Indian churches where most worshippers are indians or previous hindus. For me, born as a free thinker, I choose to believe in God somewhere when i was a youth.

People here do not tend to influence or discuss other people's religion much. Hindus and muslims, especially, do not talk to others about their faith unless they are asked questions by a non-muslim or non-hindu. Christians may practise friendship evangelism. I noticed that public christian evangelical rallies are getting less and less (compared to 20 years back), because few people accept Christ at such rallies. Whether Christians or Buddhists, they share their faith more on friendship basis with people they know. There is no public pressure, no public prayers at school.

Anyway, there is a book "Understanding Prayer, Faith and God's will" dedicated for all who believe, and for all who haven't.

January 21, 2013 at 1:02 am |
  12. BornAgainAthiest

So, I'm still waiting for some Believer out there to tell me WHY they believe in a god...

January 21, 2013 at 12:56 am |
    • LinCA

@BornAgainAthiest

Why do you spell atheist wrong in your handle?

January 21, 2013 at 12:59 am |
    • BornAgainAthiest

@LinCA – typing too fast...

January 21, 2013 at 1:01 am |
    • LinCA

@BornAgainAthiest

But why don't you fix it? It's your name/handle that has the spelling error in it. You don't retype it every time, do you?

January 21, 2013 at 1:03 am |
    • BornAgainAthiest

@LinCA – No, I don't retype it every time, it's just what is associated with my login for this blog for now. Somewhat of a trivial issue, when discussing people's eternal souls (if they exist), don't you think? :-)

January 21, 2013 at 1:06 am |
    • LinCA

@BornAgainAthiest

You said, "it's just what is associated with my login for this blog for now."
      It's not like it is permanent. You can simply change it.

You said, "Somewhat of a trivial issue"
      True, but it makes you look less than intelligent. Almost like a believer.

January 21, 2013 at 1:09 am |
    • John

I believe the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob, the one that sent Jesus to die for our sins. I believe him because of all the things he said and did. He is God.

January 21, 2013 at 1:11 am |
    • Athy

Go away, John. You're playing out of your league.

January 21, 2013 at 1:16 am |
    • BornAgainAtheist

Things that were written down on a piece of paper (or papyrus or whatever)... But what EVIDENCE can one point to? I'm truly curious because it was no small thing for me to walk away from the christian culture. If I've missed something, then I'd like to know about it...

January 21, 2013 at 1:18 am |
    • james

born; personal experience and much study to gain accurate knowledge. if you really want more I will be glad to share but be sincere and serious, thanks, j

January 21, 2013 at 10:53 am |
    • james

just realized when you posted so I will check back later. sorry if I woke you.

January 21, 2013 at 11:03 am |
  13. Douglas

Proverbs 22:6 – "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

Teach your children about the glory of God.

Protect them from the world of fornicators, thieves and liars.

With God it can be done!

January 21, 2013 at 12:55 am |
    • BornAgainAthiest

Brainwash a child in the way that he should go...

January 21, 2013 at 12:57 am |
    • tallulah13

Douglas is a sad individual who hates himself and wants everyone else to hate themselves too.

January 21, 2013 at 12:58 am |
    • HarryJ

Are not many televangelists and other Christian leaders fornicators, thieves and/or liars? Why not show us that it works first before bragging about it, OK?

January 21, 2013 at 1:01 am |
    • Austin

born again athiest. do a statistical analysis on the prophecies in the bible. the numbers are basically divine and proven to be through revelation to prophets. that is a repeatable experiment. there you go.

January 21, 2013 at 1:03 am |
    • Gir

"Do statistical analysis"

How ambiguous.

January 21, 2013 at 1:14 am |
    • T-Roy

What if the fornicator is the child's priest?

January 21, 2013 at 1:23 am |
    • sam stone

still in that closet, doogie?

January 21, 2013 at 5:17 am |
  14. Jez

Goddess – I love this woman! She is right on the mark!

January 21, 2013 at 12:51 am |
  15. coca-kola

Folks we all believe something, some of us believe Darwin, some believe Mohamed, some believe David Koresh and some Stalin. I believe the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth,

January 21, 2013 at 12:45 am |
    • tallulah13

I believe in things that can be substantiated by fact. You are welcome to believe whatever you want.

January 21, 2013 at 12:48 am |
    • BornAgainAthiest

Would you care to cite any repeatable experiment that supports the existence of a god?

January 21, 2013 at 12:50 am |
    • Athy

The teachings of Jesus are good. It helps to control the behavior of the believers. I just don't believe in god or a creator. These concepts are utter nonsense, totally without evidence.

January 21, 2013 at 12:51 am |
    • Len

Who "believes" in Darwin? Most of his findings are still relevant to the study of evolution, and he is to be admired for his genius in recognizing it despite his religious programming to assume a creator, that's all.

January 21, 2013 at 12:51 am |
    • HarryJ

So, you're saying that the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth is comparable to these other choices? That's kinda unfair to Darwin, isn't it?

January 21, 2013 at 12:56 am |
    • Mark

What a peculiar and motley crew of names you tossed together there. I think it reveals something about you and your presuppositions.

January 21, 2013 at 1:00 am |
    • Karl Denton

We don't believe in Darwin, Science is not something you believe in it just is, all the rest of it, religion is all about belief!

January 21, 2013 at 1:01 am |
    • T-Roy

"We all believe in something"

The difference is that somethings would exist if you believed them or not. Atheism is not a belief, but a lack of a belief. Stain existed whether you believe it or not. The laws of nature and physics operate whether you believe them or not.

You need a human and a mind to imagine and to have religion. Without man, there can be no god or religion.

January 21, 2013 at 2:20 am |
  16. kenny

can any religious person convince me they are intelligent? that they know how vast the universe is and they can even begin to understand a being that could create it. that they know the bible is full of contradictions yet they pick and choose which ones to follow. that their beliefs are solely based on their parents and if they were born to others would have completely different beliefs... seriously how can a religious person claim any kind of intelligence when you have to deny it in order to follow ridiculous beliefs...

January 21, 2013 at 12:37 am |
    • BornAgainAthiest

I'm an atheist (with advanced degrees), and I know several intelligent people who believe in God. The problem is not intelligence, but dependence. It's hard for non-independent thinkers to accept that they are alone in the universe and that all we see is all there is.

January 21, 2013 at 12:40 am |
    • kenny

people don't need to be intelligent to get degrees... intelligence is defined as the ability to understand ones surroundings and solve problems related to them. religious people tend to deny their surroundings and refuse to challenge problems that contradict their beliefs. they could be intelligent but they choose to not be. any intelligent person would see the bible and religion for what it is... a way for men in power to control humanity. its that simple.

January 21, 2013 at 12:52 am |
    • JimVA

So, Kenny, what is your criteria for being considered "intelligent" by you? If it includes total agreement with you and if it requires a denial of the existence of God, then I won't waste any more of our time since your issue then has nothing to do with intelligence. If you are truly serious (and "intelligent") about a dialog, then...

I understand that the universe is vast (infinite actually) in many dimensions – in size, complexity, and it's interrelationship with live as we know it. I understand and practice the sciences and reason, and know enough to understand there is much we don't know. I don't subscribe that trivial tales that were written as teaching tools for a primitive mankind are the literal explanation of how the universe works. I believe that God, like the universe, is infinite in scope and depth and when (again) is trivialized is diminished to a point of being ridiculous. I don't have to deny anything of reason to believe in God. Evolution is not only possible, it is consistent with my deep Christian faith (and with my mainstream religion by the way). Science to me is lame without faith, and religion is blind without science (I didn't come up with that, Einstein did).

So what is it that you consistently find "unintelligent" about every "religious person"? Or have you only been talking with the nut cases?

January 21, 2013 at 12:58 am |
    • John

Yes Kenny, you are alone, because you rejected God. That is why he doesn't make himself known to you. It's what you wanted.

January 21, 2013 at 1:02 am |
    • Gir

I don't think having faith makes you unintelligent. It just means there's at least one aspect of your life where you willingly refuse to apply logic.

January 21, 2013 at 1:03 am |
    • Answer

Look at the need of the religious people...

===Here is a christian saying that he/himself is in a relationship== Funny.

–quote–
      John

–end–

@John

What a wonderful bond you have .. LOL

January 21, 2013 at 1:05 am |
    • Athy

Depends on the degree, Kenny. I've never met a degreed scientist, mathemetican or engineer (and I know literally hundreds) who was not intelligent (and most are atheists, by the way). I've met a few other degreed people who were a little less intelligent, but certainly above average. I've met a whole shitload of people who had no degrees at all and are not intelligent. I've never met a stupid person who had a degree. But there are plenty of intelligent people without degrees. So what's your point?

January 21, 2013 at 1:13 am |
  17. tracydushaj

So one in five is not affiliated with any religion. That's 20%. Of those, 68% say they believe in God, just have no specific religion. So that makes 13.6% of the 20% believers, just not affiliated. That leaves 6.4% of people being "atheists". Not that numbers matter, but for all of your crying, you guys are still the VAST minority. If I moved to Afghanistan, I would automatically assume I would need to adapt to the PREVAILING culture, which is Islamic fundamentalism. I hate to break it to you, oh vast and infinitely intelligent atheists, but the prevailing culture in America was, and still is, a Judeo-Christian one. For such a little crowd, you sure do make a loud, annoying cry at how unfair things are for you.

January 21, 2013 at 12:37 am |
    • LinCA

Gotta start somewhere. Delusions won't cure themself.

January 21, 2013 at 12:39 am |
    • Jenifer203

What are you so afraid of, tracydush?

January 21, 2013 at 12:39 am |
    • tallulah13

Well, gosh. I guess some of us took seriously the freedom of religion promised by the Consti.tution of the United States.

January 21, 2013 at 12:43 am |
    • BornAgainAthiest

When I look at the demonstrable failures of mass belief/action... One of my favorite sayings is: "that many people can't be right..."

January 21, 2013 at 12:44 am |
    • Allen

Hate to break it to you..but this is not afghanistan. We are a secular country with no religious affiliation. Treaty of tripoli. Educate yourself.
      So, minority groups should be quiet and be like everyone else. Got it.

January 21, 2013 at 12:44 am |
    • Answer

"If I moved to Afghanistan, I would automatically assume I would need to adapt to the PREVAILING culture, which is Islamic
      fundamentalism."

===Why would you need to convert if you're in the right?

Oh yeah unlike you christians who practice at political maneuvering to instate laws that bring you your CHANGES.. those freaks use real violence.

January 21, 2013 at 12:44 am |
    • Len

So, what you're saying is that, it's really important to just go along with the crowd and not challenge the local bullies no matter how wrong, or mean they are? I guess you've never watched any after-school specials, have you?

January 21, 2013 at 12:46 am |
    • Mark

Unfortunately for you, being a majority doesn't make you any less wrong about your belief system. It's the natural tendency of affluent, educated societies to become less religious for a variety of reasons, so as long as we can keep from churning out tons of high-school dropouts and keep a strong middle class we have increased religious disaffiliation to look forward to.

January 21, 2013 at 12:46 am |

@Len:

Ha!

January 21, 2013 at 12:49 am |
    • tracydushaj

I am definitely not afraid of atheism, or its adherents. Atheists are worshiping, too. They worship self. Atheists have faith, too. Faith in the hope that there really is no God.

January 21, 2013 at 12:49 am |
    • Answer

There's no finer saying – that the apologists have made up – to pin down atheism as a religion.

So they try and keep on trying with no results.

====quote===

tracydushaj

====end===

January 21, 2013 at 12:54 am |
    • tallulah13

I find it funny that christians claim that atheists worship "themselves". Is there anything more self-centered than believing that the universe was created just for humans and that the most powerful being imaginable is watching 24/7 in order to discern who gets to live forever in paradise and who has to suffer for all eternity. The ego required by christians is sometimes astonishing.

January 21, 2013 at 12:57 am |
    • tracydushaj

Prevailing culture, not prevailing belief. My faith doesn't change. I just wouldn't go around suing every school to get the Koran taken out of it because I was offended, or because hearing it made me feel "out of place'. As a Christian in a predominately Muslim nation I would be, shockingly, intelligent enough to realize that I am in the minority. As far as Christians using political maneuvering, isn't that the system in place to be used to invoke change? Do not atheists do the same? Do not all politically active Americans do the same? Not my fault there are more Christians...

January 21, 2013 at 1:02 am |
    • Mark

@tracydushaj

"Atheists are worshiping, too. They worship self. Atheists have faith, too. Faith in the hope that there really is no God."

It's like you're trying to make Christians look dumb. Please stop.

January 21, 2013 at 1:04 am |
    • the AnViL

once again – another glaring example of the divisive, discriminatory nature of xianity.

they literally believe minorities do not deserve equality.

– tracydushaj – you should be ashamed to be so ignorant on a national public forum.

January 21, 2013 at 1:04 am |
    • Mark

@tracydushaj
      If you want a theocracy maybe you should start your own country because America is not about that. Perhaps the middle east would be more to your liking.

January 21, 2013 at 1:10 am |
    • tallulah13

I really don't get what you are trying to say, tracy. Do you think that minorities should just shut up and accept marginalization? Do you think that it's good and proper that people who don't believe the same things you do should be silenced? Wow. No offense, but I find that thought process to be immoral, selfish and blatantly unConsti.tutional.

January 21, 2013 at 1:10 am |
    • Damocles

@tracy

So your faith is nothing more than wanting to be on the team you think is going to win.

January 21, 2013 at 1:43 am |
  18. Jenifer203

The Christians here all seem so defensive and hating, and they lash out or change subjects when anybody says boo to their crazy mad beliefs about zombies and talking snakes and all. I don't think that would be the case if their god existed.

January 21, 2013 at 12:36 am |
    • BornAgainAthiest

Not zombies... animated bones... latter part of the Old Testament... Just like Jonah was swallowed by a "big fish" not to be confused with a whale... and lasted 3 days...

January 21, 2013 at 12:47 am |
    • lol??

Mark was just braggin' about americult's youth luvin' zombies. Did you gwow up?

January 21, 2013 at 1:03 am |
    • Mark

@lol.
      I was actually making a connection between the popularity of vampires as manifestations of the youthful fantasy of everlasting life and the childish notion of utopian everlasting life in monotheistic religions. It's funny to see how it got churned around in that soggy mess of yours into whatever it is that you were attempting to say.

January 21, 2013 at 1:17 am |
  19. Answer

What's the matter 'lol' ? Can't tell a knock knock joke on your own?

January 21, 2013 at 12:35 am |
    • lol??

Who's there?

January 21, 2013 at 12:59 am |
    • Answer

Lazy as well. Good to know.

January 21, 2013 at 1:02 am |
  20. Domine

If Christians are taught to love one another. Why are we getting such a hateful response?

January 21, 2013 at 12:32 am |
    • Jenifer203

Domine I just posted about the same too.

January 21, 2013 at 12:38 am |
    • Len

They love each other, ... everyone else can, literally, go to hell.

January 21, 2013 at 12:39 am |
    • tallulah13

I think it's fear. They are lashing out because they have no facts with which to protect their beliefs. All they have is idle threats and insults. It's sad, really.

January 21, 2013 at 12:45 am |
    • lol??

Are you one or the another, boss?

January 21, 2013 at 1:00 am |