home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. Jon

Nice to see all the trolls are out. I think its funny how all the atheist on here seem to be so angry in their responses. Go ahead and make your justifications of why you believe like you do. Nothing but a bunch of haters. Wait til you get close to death you will start to suddenly change your mind. Then you will start asking God to forgive you because you realize that its better to believe in something than nothing at all.

January 21, 2013 at 4:58 am |
    • Ken

You pretty much added to my recent response. They will pray like mad, with all their heart when they feel the grim reaper coming, or one of their children or other family members is in peril.

January 21, 2013 at 5:05 am |
    • Jon

Exactly! I pray God have mercy on their souls!

January 21, 2013 at 5:12 am |
    • sam stone

spend a lot of time on your knees, do you jon?

January 21, 2013 at 5:20 am |
    • Jon

Ha ha ha! You really got me! Real funny! What are you 15 years old. Guess you gotta keep that mind simple dont you.

January 21, 2013 at 5:27 am |
    • Ken

What about me, Sam? You can suck my C+++ because I am part of a liberal christian church that allows that. Christians are not all bad, just like others are not all good. Not that that is my thing, but what is wrong with you. Demonic possession, I guess.

January 21, 2013 at 5:35 am |
    • David in NC

You say these things like they are facts, but they are not. Atheists have looked at the evidence for a god or gods and found none. That is why we are atheists. I take it you have rejected all of the other thousands of man-made religions for the same reason that we atheists have, except that we have also rejected your religion for the same reason. We get mad when you try to impose your irrational belief system on the rest of us and are sad for the children who are being lied to.

January 21, 2013 at 6:39 am |
    • sam stone

jon: fvck you and your empty proxy threats

January 21, 2013 at 6:49 am |
    • sam stone

ken: reading comprehension a problem for you? i did not say that all christians were bad. i know quite a few who are fine, upstanding people. but, when cvnts like jon come on with the blah, blah, fvcking blah empty proxy threats, i have no issue telling them to kiss my big fat rump. if you have an issue with that, the offer extends to you, too

January 21, 2013 at 6:53 am |
  2. Ken

All of you are so smart and intelligent, aren't you. No judging here, but what if you are wrong about the non-existence of God and Christ? And mocking this belief, although the values taught are universally recognized to be good? And you claim to be tolerant? I wouldn't want to be you, particularly in the next life. God bless all of you super intelligent folks with no recognition of your so called spirituality. Ever heard of spell check?

January 21, 2013 at 4:56 am |
    • What IF

Ken,

This is another tired repeti.tion of Pascal's Wager - thoroughly refuted since the 17th century, when it was first offered as a reason for belief in the Bible's "God".

– What if the real "God" is Allah, or Vishnu, or Zeus, or Quetzalcoatl, or any of the other of thousands which have been dreamed up over the centuries? Some of them are very jealous and vengeful and will relegate you to nasty places for not worshiping them. You'd better cover your butt by believing in ALL of them and fulfill their wishes and demands.

– What if the real "God" prefers those who use logic and reason and punishes you as a silly sycophant?

– What if the real "God" detests those who believe something just to cover their butts in eternity?

January 21, 2013 at 5:05 am |
    • Ken

Yes, exactly. you are so super intelligent and smart. I recognize the fact and appreciate that other cultures manifestation of God is different. They might be right. And he/she may cast you down into Hell. Don't dismiss the possibility

January 21, 2013 at 5:15 am |
    • Jon

What ìf,

When are you going to realize that asking "what if.." questions get you nowhere real quick. Its like asking a question over and over expecting a different outcome. If you believed in God you won't be asking "what if....." questions all the time. Sounds like your pretty clueless to find the right answer.

January 21, 2013 at 5:21 am |
    • sam stone

ken: don't dismiss the possibilty that other culture's god(s) will send you to hell

January 21, 2013 at 5:24 am |
    • Ken

So you know all the answers? You know everything? I truly have never heard of anyone that does.

January 21, 2013 at 5:24 am |
    • Ken

And I believe in the God of Abraham, which Jews, Christians and Muslims all recognize. Other manifestations of God may be part of the same trilogy, but that is what I believe

January 21, 2013 at 5:28 am |
  3. Justin

I can't wait for the day religion means nothing to this country and people start using logical thought instead of following 2 thousand year old fairy tales.

January 21, 2013 at 4:48 am |
    • JustTheFacts

That day is coming. It's called Judgment Day. Everyone in the lake will have the same kind of thoughts...

January 21, 2013 at 6:01 am |
  4. steve

this is ridiculous that people are making a big deal about this junk....so what if she is not religious?? who cares??? thats teh whole point of freedom of religion, meaning you're also free to not have one....want to argue about it? sdgarrett817@ymail.com lets chat. i grew up in a non-religious home and am just fine, i am happily married and am serving. No i am not disrespectful during religious moments or anything i will still politely bow my head but that makes me no less a person than the guy next to me who is heavily religious.

January 21, 2013 at 4:06 am |
  5. Lori

I have to say that I am truly disappointed with how much religious close-mindedness is present in the various comments to this article. My parents neither encouraged nor discouraged religion: though they never took me to church, they did not discourage me from going with friends, if I so chose. They allowed me to learn as I saw fit and make up my own mind about what God or Gods may or may not exist, and I think I am a better person for this. In my adult life, I have chosen to avoid church mainly because I don't think anyone should be told what to believe, and I absolutely support this mother. Anyone who lives by the rules of any one single religion cannot, justly, call any atheist closed-minded or wrong: no one can ever really know what lies beyond this life.

January 21, 2013 at 4:04 am |
  6. Tim Boyer

Asking a believer not to share his or her thoughts on salvation is like asking a doctor to withhold life-saving treatment from a dying patient.

January 21, 2013 at 4:01 am |
    • Meri

true. but we have to be careful because Jesus, as He spoke, He had SO much anointing in HIm that the hungry in the spirit, DREW to HIM! and to those who did NOT want HIm, he didn't continue to push Him self on to them. But he continued to feed (spiritually) those who hungered and thirst for Him!

January 21, 2013 at 4:07 am |
    • sam stone

nonsense. a doctor is trained to test for an recognize disease. regarding salvation, all a believer has is an opinion.

January 21, 2013 at 4:41 am |
    • JustTheFacts

Meri... If atheists and unbelievers didn't also "push" themselves onto others the same as believers do, they wouldn't be on this forum. They're constantly trying to push their unbelief onto us, whether we're interested in it or not. That is precisely the purpose of this ridiculous article. Furthermore, why are you here? Well, we're here for the exact same reason...

January 21, 2013 at 6:09 am |
  7. Daniel Tosh

You ever hear girls say that? “I’m not religious, but I’m spiritual.” I like to reply with “I’m not honest, but you’re interesting!”

January 21, 2013 at 3:52 am |
    • Meri

here is what I see: religion is one thing, having a relationship with God is another. And God DID say to stay away from witch craft, and sorcery and magic, which are spiritual, aren't they? so a person can be spiritual, just not having a relationship with God.

or did i misunderstand what you meant?

January 21, 2013 at 3:58 am |
    • queenbee9

There is a difference. Being Religious means to buy into a man made and defined structure for worshipping God. ADDED to the bible or to the idea of a higher being are all kinds of rules and ceremonies and rituals and demands that each religion makes specific unto itself. you can be religious and not really believe in God–it is called having the "form" of religion–liking perhaps the pomp of some churches or the ritual or thinking it makes someone seem pious or helps them to appear upstanding to a community. You can also be spiritual but not be religious–this usually implies believing in a God or higher power and acknowledging that link in your life but staying away fro established religion. It is not at all like your example–to say you are not honest but a girl is interesting is to suggest speaking in contradictions–but the only way a person thinks religion and spirituality are or have to be mutual is if they have very little understanding of either.

January 21, 2013 at 4:20 am |
    • sam stone

meri: what authority do you have to speak for god?

January 21, 2013 at 4:44 am |
    • JustTheFacts

To make the statement "I'm not spiritual, but I'm religious" is very much like saying, "I don't serve God, I serve the Devil". And yet you expect people to be okay with that...

January 21, 2013 at 6:14 am |
  8. NTB

this lady took advantage of the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut to draw fans to herself and to speak against God. She is a real tool of Satan.

January 21, 2013 at 3:45 am |
    • Meri

That is very possible. when you pick up on such things, your eyes are wide open and that is a gift!

January 21, 2013 at 3:51 am |
    • steve

yeah because nobody before that had EVER said they were not religious.......-.-

January 21, 2013 at 4:07 am |
    • Bman

You think it is just Newtown? What about Jonestown? What about Saddam Hussein? Or even what about a god who creates a world where millions of people die at the hands of Hitler and Nazi Germany and the Catholic Church ignored what was going on? Her views are shared by millions who have a hard time accepting that god (of any religion) wants to allow such hatred in our world. And do not pull the "oh, but Satan is at fault". If God was so knowing, why does He or She need to give such ideas and thoughts for mankind to believe in?

January 21, 2013 at 4:14 am |
    • queenbee9

The reason God allows evil to exist and bad to happen is like a lab rat asking why a scientist has set up a maze that shocks him when he goes down certain directions. Consider this perspective: This is a testing ground and the human body is the vehicle necessary to navigate this testing ground. It is NOT the real person, just the shell to get around in–the soul is the real you. In that scenario, if God reveres the real you and feels he can do what he wants to the shell–then the things that happen on this plane ONLY matter if this is all you can imagine and believe that you are. If this is it–then God is just capricious and cruel–but if your body is not you and is just a shell, then what happens to the body does not matter, but what happens to the soul does. The point of trials are to make choices to go through and to define or refine your soul and make a choice–souls grow that way. Regardless if a life is 3 months long or 99 years, I believe what we go through shapes and changes us until our soul is set and a certain point is made. For different people the point of clarification comes at different times and under different stressors. so when I hear of a child very young who died of abuse or a woman very old who lived a long time–I think –Okay–their soul was "set" or defined to a point and then they exited–and I believe in reincarnation so I believe this refinement process can happen over and over again but it is all happening to a vehicle (our bodies) whether it changes the soul has and will continue to be the actual CHOICE that we make.

January 21, 2013 at 4:31 am |
    • sam stone

"The reason God allows evil to exist and bad to happen is like a lab rat asking why a scientist has set up a maze that shocks him when he goes down certain directions."

Really? Does the scientist want to spend eternity with the rat? Does the scientist claim to know the rat before the rat is born? Did the scientist have his son whacked (but not really) because the rat will make bad choices that he knew about ahead of time?

January 21, 2013 at 4:50 am |
    • Justin

That's some nice insane rambling you got there (the person above this post and to be so simple minded to think your life is a 'testing ground'. Sorry when you die you cease to exist just like anything else and that's the grim reality and there is no greater purpose..

January 21, 2013 at 5:00 am |
  9. Journey

After reading her heartbreaking article I can only hope that she finds access to the mental, social and/or child protective services that President Obama plans to increase in the next 4 years. My family and I are praying for her and her children.

January 21, 2013 at 3:42 am |
    • Meri

Journey,
      Prayer is a WONDERFUL weapon! It is straight to God! He is the fighter of the battles here on Earth, and we are right along side of HIM when we pray, and speak against darkness in Jesus' name.

January 21, 2013 at 3:48 am |
    • HotAirAce

Mental health professionals can deprogram jesus believers so that they can escape the death cult they are in.

January 21, 2013 at 4:00 am |
    • Meri

and hot air ace, you know what happens to these people's soul's after their bodies die???

January 21, 2013 at 4:03 am |
    • HotAirAce

Soul, what soul? How do you know anyone has a soul?

January 21, 2013 at 4:05 am |
    • steve

so....youre saying she needs to lose her children and seek professional help just because she doesnt believe in god and is not religious?

January 21, 2013 at 4:09 am |
    • Meri

Hotairace,

I know you have a heart. do you not? I know you have feelings.... and you were able to feel very much so as a child. How can such sensitive beings.....as you and I come to a complete stop after the body stops?

January 21, 2013 at 4:11 am |
    • HotAirAce

Why should they continue? When you're dead, you're dead. Do you have evidence to the contrary, or just childish wishful hopes?

January 21, 2013 at 4:29 am |
    • sam stone

"you know what happens to these people's soul's after their bodies die???"

do you? if so, on what basis do you claim this knowledge?

January 21, 2013 at 4:53 am |
    • sam stone

meri: animals have feelings, and empathy. do they have souls, too? will my childhood dog bowser be in heaven, too?

January 21, 2013 at 4:55 am |
  10. Nils Arvidsson

I basically flunked Sunday school at the age of six. I came home after my first lesson and told my mother that they were lying all the time.
    Walking on water is impossible, period.
    Staying out of that religious crap has been a blessing, whatever that is. Religion is spread through brain washing and scare tactics and I feel sorry for all it's victims.

January 21, 2013 at 3:18 am |
    • Meri

Nils, I can some what relate to what oyu are saying. I put my 5 year old into a christian based school. the teachers were kind and sweet, and didn't yell at the kids. AND they pushed a story into their minds, and tested them on it. the one of Moses as a baby. it was like they totally wanted my son to know a story, BEFORE knowing WHO was behind the whole thing!

January 21, 2013 at 3:41 am |
  11. Mark

The Christians I've had conversations with concerning their religious beliefs, are very ignorant of the bible. I've yet to meet one who has bothered to read all of the bible. And when it comes to other religions, and gods that proceeded their own, they are total ignorant. You can try to educate them to the fact that many of the beliefs associated with Christianity were taken from earlier Sumerian, and Egyptian beliefs, that predate Christianity, and they will strongly deny that, having no idea what you are talking about.

They will also deny that the King James version of the bible describes the earth as flat and immovable (see the web site “Flat Earth Bible” for versus), or that their deity commanded the killing of fetuses and young children, on more than one occasion. See Isaiah 13:15-18 for an example.

Key words for learning more about the roots of Christianity: “Sumerians, Egyptians, Christianity.

Also see: Hebrew Bible: Plagiarized Mythology and Defaced Monotheism

Another common response from a Christian, when you mention items that are in their bible, they had no idea were there, is: “You sure know a lot about the bible”. Yeah, that’s why I’m an atheist.

January 21, 2013 at 2:39 am |
    • Steve C

Mark – exactly. The bible is full of hate and God passing judgements and killing people he doesn't particularly care for. It is a horrible horrible example for anyone to follow, and the truly moral reject it.

What the religious don't seem to understand is that atheists don't reject religion (and especially the bible) because we are "lazy" or have "fallen", it's because we DO understand it, and we believe, rightly or wrongly, that our morality is better. Therefore, trying to "save" us is as evil to us as it would be for you to be seduced by the "devil".

January 21, 2013 at 2:49 am |
    • sparky

I red a Book once

January 21, 2013 at 3:00 am |
    • So true

I once had the joy of conversing with a fundamentalist who did not know the fundamentals, as so few of them really do. He kept saying that Pride was one of the Ten Commandments. It did me no good trying to convince him that Pride is not a Commandment but a deadly sin.

It was the least of his errors.

January 21, 2013 at 3:06 am |
    • Steve C

@So True – Sounds even dumber than the fools who think that U.S. law was based on the 10 Commandments – I believe only 2 of the 10 commandments are actually laws (don't murder or steal). The thing makes me laugh the most is that commandment 2 says not to have any imagery of the lord – the Jews understand this, but try to find one Christian household that follows that one! (most don't even know that it's a commandment, others do and say "well it really means" this or that, to justify).

January 21, 2013 at 3:27 am |
    • Meri

In Isaiah 13 God is pretty much done with dealing with evil of evil people! He has had it with those kind, who were probably very inhumane themselves! what kind of evil did they actually do to each other?? probably things that would get a person to the death penalty in this modern day and God saw it and said, "ENOUGH!" done with this kind of people!

and so yes, it is pretty sad what is in isaiah 13. It makes me very saddened to hear that there was no mercy on the children in the wombs of these people.

and it happened before the day of Jesus in history.

now days abortion is legal. lots and lots of people are fighting against abortion. Look, God killed evil people through out the old testiment, not people who were good. EXCEPT Jesus. and that is a whole nother thing! when I invited Jesus into my heart, i saw a change in my life, that is why I love God. and I know He loves you too.

ask God to help you understand who He is. that is the only way life and the bible will make sense to you. and it fits you according to your own personal life amazingly enough!

January 21, 2013 at 3:33 am |
  12. FSM

The Flying Spaghetti Monster has revealed His existence to all. Do you eat pasta? Know that when ever you do, you are consuming the Holy Visage of the Flying Spaghetti Monster! In doing so, you glorify His Name, even without knowing, because you have an internal spirit that drives you toward the Truth of His existence!

I pray that you allow His Noodly Appendage to come into your life.

In the Name of the Pasta, the Parmesan, and the Holy Fettucine,
    R'Amen.

January 21, 2013 at 2:18 am |
    • kenny

it feels sooo good to slap a religious person in the face for foisting their bs beliefs on us.... its soooooo delicious to feeeeel that slap and watch them cower and squirm like pathetic little ants...

January 21, 2013 at 2:32 am |
    • arky

I see you point, just don't know why you do it. hate much or is it just an exercise to get the artistic blood to boil and you are going on to write the great pulitzer prize winning novel. . .

January 21, 2013 at 3:04 am |
  13. urda thara

Dear Thought-Full and Love-Full Mother, Thank you for making and raising wonderful kids ! There are many aspects of life on earth - they all have equal value. It is the public display of conflicting religions that is ruining this country. And that still, in our country, as soon as someone says he or she is a “Christian” then that person is considered extremely special, good, and above everyone else. It would be interesting to know several aspects of a neighbor, teacher, bus driver, or politician, including his or her life philosophy. But a person acting within the realm of his or her political office should never mention his or her religiion at that time, because then it appears that his or her political position is endorsing that religion. The U.S. should eliminate "prayer" in Congress and in all political events. It is immoral for that to continue in our government. You are raising children who will be open-minded and not prejudiced. The world needs more parents like you. It is not more "moral" to hold a religious belief than to believe in people and love and being productive and helpful.

January 21, 2013 at 2:15 am |
    • Athy

How true.

January 21, 2013 at 2:22 am |
  14. JaniceG

No one can prove whether God exists. Therefore, no one has a monopoly on the truth of whether God exists. People should be free to worship God or not to believe in God without trying to force their belief, or lack thereof, on other people.

January 21, 2013 at 2:08 am |
    • Damocles

So anything that nobody can prove one way or another to the satisfaction of everyone else should be allowed to be worshiped as any who worship those things see fit? I could so get behind that because I could come up with some cray ass stuff.

January 21, 2013 at 2:14 am |
    • FSM

I pray that you allow His Noodly Appendage to come into your life.

In the Name of the Pasta, the Parmesan, and the Holy Fettucine,
      R'Amen.

January 21, 2013 at 2:17 am |
    • Felicitas Panganiban

I agree with you. Nobody should force their belief on anybody. But I call it sharing, not forcing. When I believe, I feel stronger within because in my difficult times, I have someone to talk or complain to. I do not feel alone. That feeling is a blessing to me that I can not help but try to share. My job is just to plant a seed but it's God's job to make it grow. The seed could be planted on fertile soil, on shallow soil or on thorned soil. My job is to share, it's not my job to make anybody accept what I share.
      My believing in God is by faith and my heart could see Him through faith." Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

January 21, 2013 at 3:00 am |
    • bubba's cousin

There's proof. It's just not accepted by skeptics. atheists. non-believers. There's Truth but it doesn't seem to be the Truth that every one wants to embrace.

January 21, 2013 at 3:12 am |
    • tallulah13

Wow, Bubba. How did you get the proof that no one else has ever been able to find? Why don't you tell us what it is? The world has been waiting for 2000 years.

January 21, 2013 at 3:47 am |
  15. nlorklor

God is real. This woman is wrong. Heaven is real. Hell is real. People are in hell now. People are in heaven now. Jesus died for the sins of the world. He rose from the dead. He is Lord. He is coming again. He will judge the living and the dead. If you don't repent and believe in Him, you will burn in the lake of fire forever and ever. If you do repent and believe in Him, you will enjoy His presence and love and wonder forever and ever.

January 21, 2013 at 2:00 am |
    • Damocles

You say he will judge, but people are already in hell? Judging the dead seems an awful lot like kicking someone when they are down.

January 21, 2013 at 2:04 am |
    • kenny

that belief is a wish... no basis in truth or fact... if you wanna make believe like that you are a child...

January 21, 2013 at 2:05 am |
    • Meri

...and to know Jesus is the key into Heaven.

January 21, 2013 at 2:09 am |
    • SaveMeNot

nlorklor, I know someone who can really give you good deal on the Brooklyn Bridge.

January 21, 2013 at 2:10 am |
    • FSM

No, no, no, NO!! The Flying Spaghetti Monster promises STD-riddled strip-pers and a volcano of stale beer to all who reject His Noodly Appendage, not burning in a lake. How do you burn in a lake anyway? S-illy christians and their false god. The FSM has bigger balls than the christian god. Believe in him!! Be doused in the Holy Alfredo Sauce!!!

January 21, 2013 at 2:10 am |
    • kenny

and to know donkey pooo is the key to donkey heaven.. you ignorant fool...

January 21, 2013 at 2:11 am |
    • Meri

kenny- do you believe what you say about donkey pooo?

January 21, 2013 at 2:17 am |
    • kenny

you sound like a child molester... they believe very strongly they aren't evil.....

January 21, 2013 at 2:24 am |
    • Felicitas Panganiban

AMEN to that!! As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
      The thing of God is foolish to unbelievers and men has thought that they are so wise or too wise for their own good.
      I believe that these unbelievers will someday confess that God is real and will accept the truth that they need God and will be blessed.
      Can these unbelievers honestly believe that people just happen to exist. Just like any plant that grows, someone made it happen? I see God in all creations.
      God is a Loving and Just God. We sin, we get punished. We accept Him by faith that even in difficulties we have peace & hope. We are not created like puppets. We have our own free will . And let's not forget, the rain drops on the good and the bad.
      God less you!!!!
      We are created

January 21, 2013 at 2:38 am |
    • Steve C

... and if you are very very good all year, Santa Claus will come down your chimney and bring presents. WhatEVER.

January 21, 2013 at 2:43 am |
    • greymatter80

The only reality we as thinking beings should accept is one that we can verify. Everything else is just an idea. Ideas are good, because if we see evidence to challenge them, we can change them. Beliefs are bad. When we believe something, and we see evidence to challenge the belief, we reject the evidence instead of the belief.

January 21, 2013 at 5:01 am |
    • sam stone

nlorklor: does it make you feel all pious to play god?

fvck you and your empty proxy threats

January 21, 2013 at 5:05 am |
  16. nleeklee

January 21, 2013 at 2:00 am |
    • Athy

I'll just bet you really believe that. Astounding.

January 21, 2013 at 2:20 am |
    • It's fun to use your imagination

Yes it's real . . . real stupid.

Real means "actually exists". When you can show even the slightest evidence that your god actually exists, then you can use the word "real." Otherwise, it is more accurate if you call god your "invisible fantasy super buddy."

January 21, 2013 at 3:02 am |
  17. FSM

Here is irrefutable proof for my god.

Look at the DNA strand. Look at how long and thin it is. And look at the two strands connected by a hydrogen bond. Looks awfully like alfredo sauce sticking between two strands of pasta, doesn't it?

That, my friends, is just ONE of the billions of examples of the Flying Spaghetti Monster expressing Himself in Nature. His Noodliness be Praised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Convert to Pastafarianism now, or be condemned to an eternity filled with STD riddled strip-pers and stale beer volcanoes.

January 21, 2013 at 1:51 am |
    • Damocles

Wouldn't the STDs take an eternity to come about in eternity?

January 21, 2013 at 1:54 am |
    • Mary Christmas

Ramen!

January 21, 2013 at 1:56 am |
    • FSM

The FSM is not restricted by human paradoxes. His Noodliness be Praised!! May Pirates inherit the Earth!!!!

January 21, 2013 at 1:57 am |
    • Damocles

Ohhh... deific STDs... yeah those would be nasty.

January 21, 2013 at 2:01 am |
  18. Dan

We are Gods creation, He can do with us/as he will, can the clay say to the potter why did you form me this was?

January 21, 2013 at 1:28 am |
    • Athy

We are not god's creation. We're just evolved organisms, like all other living things. No mysterious, invisible, inexplicable creator was involved.

January 21, 2013 at 1:37 am |
    • Al

I tell my kids that all the time. I created them to serve me. It's not their place to ask why.

January 21, 2013 at 1:38 am |
    • Answer

Saying the same line to bring that small comfort to your little mind. It's so revealing about the state of the religious person's mentality.

They must try to assert their little fantasy on every body to appease their battered minds.

January 21, 2013 at 1:40 am |
    • tallulah13

Sorry, Dan. I'm a living organism, evolved to survive the current conditions on the planet. I am not clay, and I can find no evidence to support the existence of any god.

January 21, 2013 at 1:41 am |
    • Mark

@Dan.
      Thank you for sharing your mythology with everyone. Sunday school clearly was not wasted on you.

January 21, 2013 at 1:43 am |
    • FreeFromTheism

you just need a rather large dose of skepticism

January 21, 2013 at 1:45 am |
    • Damocles

Are you under the impression that clay can talk?

January 21, 2013 at 1:52 am |
    • kenny

wow you are a mental midget... ie you are retarded... stupid... idiotic.. in your nonsensical beliefs... you know nothing of the world around you... you hide like a coward. .... from the truth that is existence and that it ends with you sleeping forever... its sooooo simple a child can understand but your religious delusions prevent you from understanding... so sad

January 21, 2013 at 1:59 am |
    • sam stone

Does the potter claim to want to spend eternity with his creation?

January 21, 2013 at 5:09 am |
  19. jess

I believe in being openminded and accepting of all. I return things that aren't mine, I do not lie ( well try really really hard not to), I do not cheat, I do not cuss ( unless hurt really bad), I treat everybody with the respect and nicness I would want to be treated with, would never kill, rob, assault somebody. I help people, I try not to be envious but I am everytime I see a slk500 mercedes. I am pro-choice believer, my brother is gay( and he is my favorite out 4 brothers). And I am a christian. God gaive me free will to be who I want to be. I do not belong to any specific religious group.

January 21, 2013 at 1:26 am |
    • Mark

"I am a christian... I do not belong to any specific religious group." Does this mean you are not a practicing Christian?

January 21, 2013 at 1:37 am |
  20. Athol Foden

If our children were born in China or Turkey or Indonesia, they wouldn't even be Christians. Before drilling down on Christianity shouldn't everyone question if they have the right god? Or even why there are major gods.. controlling each their own geographic corners of the world.. and not one of them is real.. or can be proven. So don't believe your parents mumbo jumbo ro the schools.. find your own spirituality if your really need it.

January 21, 2013 at 1:26 am |
    • lol??

"Luke 12:48 ........................For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required:................"

January 21, 2013 at 11:52 pm |