home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • Faith Now • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. Nietodarwin

This is a great story.. Those kids are so lucky. We need to help all the kids that are being dragged to church, brainwashed against their will, told horrible tales of hell,etc. I hope the Freedom From Religion Foundation wins every lawsuit. The end of religion is the beginning of hope.

January 21, 2013 at 7:56 am |
    • Imsaying

What's wrong with being dragged to church? Some place that is usually peaceful... even if you don't believe, the bible has some good lessons about like... It doesn't promote hate, it gives some good advise.

January 21, 2013 at 8:13 am |
    • think about it

Believers, if wrong, will never know the difference (no afterlife, no judgment). While non-believers will have a long time to think about their decision (afterlife exists and suffer judgment). That's a good argument to consider. Humans are flawed– these posts filled with fears and hate on both sides prove it.

January 21, 2013 at 8:14 am |
    • Mirosal

Please show us your proof of this "afterlife" you mentioned. Show us it is real, and not the by-product of some long-ago lost religion that was caried over into the modeern myths practiced today. Also, your "god" is seriously whacked to punish those who live their lives in peace, yet using the logic that your "god" gave them (ha ha) decide that since there is nothing to show ANY god ever existed, this one doesn't either. Now, about that "afterlife" ... where is it, can we call or text someone there? Do you have pics of it? Surely if it IS real, you have something from there to show us, don't you?

January 21, 2013 at 8:26 am |
    • notea4me

Dragging kids to church is a form of brain washing. At that young age religious guilt will stay in their subconcious their whole life. That's why the church wants them young.

January 21, 2013 at 8:29 am |
    • JustTheFacts

Nietodarwin… A great story?… You won't feel that way when you end up in hell. Nor will the kids feel that way either, when they're in hell. Better check your facts. Don't believe everything you hear (like, there is no god or hell). Better ask them to prove it to you (that there is no god or hell). Hell really exists (so says Jesus Christ, the Son of God)…

As for the end of religion, once in hell you shall get your wish. There is no religion in hell…

January 21, 2013 at 8:49 am |
  2. WontWin

Attention non-believers. You can never win. Believers seem to have an answer to everything. They will argue till death do us part. For them to think that all the time and energy they have spent on god was a complete waste of time is unimaginable and frightening to them and therefore will go to great lengths to justify their beliefs. I read through these posts and some are quite entertaining but most are all the same – bla bla bla bla bla. To the believers: please don't waste your energy talking to me about your beliefs. I already understand.

January 21, 2013 at 7:55 am |
  3. SmartPerson

I've just about given up trying to save people from religion. Until it's seen as the mental illness that it is – and treatment becomes readily available – I fear that these people will just remain delusional – and potentially dangerous.....

January 21, 2013 at 7:50 am |
    • tweety1900

Christian Missionaries that help the poor in third world countries you consider mentally dangerous? Church groups that support intercity hunger centers are mentally dangerous? Teacher in Christian Schools are mentally dangerous? Chritians that cook meals for the homeless are mentally dangerous? Oh, and don't forget those mentally dangers workers that help unwed mothers... yes... they are a scary group.

January 21, 2013 at 8:03 am |
    • HarryJ

tweety1900
      Do they help the poor just for the sake of helping them, like secular charities do, or in order to better their chances of converting them and garnering the presumed favor of Jesus, thus helping their chances of getting into heaven, by doing so? I suppose that McDonalds just "gives" away toys with their happy meals out of the goodness of their hearts as well? Missionary work is still a selfish thing to do.

January 21, 2013 at 8:10 am |
    • tweety1900

HarryJ

A family member of mine went on a mission trip in South America. Several members of the group spent their week digging a 7 foot hole so the house that we being built would have a "septic tank.' Yes.. that is very selfish of them.

January 21, 2013 at 8:22 am |
    • tweety1900

Harry J
      Also, our parish is one a several that supports an inter city hunger center. In the fall, when they need school supplies for the kids, the center calls the parish for help. The parish asks for donations and the people drop them off after services. One or two members gather the items and drop them off at the center. The center then disburses the items to their clients. The parish never meets the client, know who they are or have any chance to "convert them" as you say.

This also happens at Thanksgiving when they need turkeys... at Christmas when they need gift cards or toys, or just during the year when food supplies are running low.

Tell me how this is selfish..

January 21, 2013 at 8:40 am |
    • Sue

tweety, you can have all that without the religious delusions. Just google on secular charities or atheist charities. And look up community centers near you.

In addition, none of the good things you describe have anything to do with, nor are they any proof of, the veracity of the claims of the Christian religion.

Religious affiliation of charities also always comes with strings attached and the usual promotion of the religion, like a cancer attached to the otherwise good, healthy organism that is the charity. Keep the organism but reduce and eventually eliminate the cancer.

January 21, 2013 at 8:51 am |
    • tweety1900

Sue,

I agree that there are many non relgious groups that do the same thing. My point goes back to the main comment that all religious are "Menally Dangerous." and religion should be treated as a mental illness. My point is that there are many good things that Christians do. For all of those out here that want to get rid of retgion, first realize that relgion does contrubute good to the world.

I personally feel that I am a moderate in this whole conversaton. Those that tell the non belivers that they are going to hell are as extreme as those that think relgion is a mental illness.

There is room for both believers and non believers in this world. Both side of the issue can do good work for those in need. But, both sides need to realize that (1)the other side can have an opinion that differs and (2) the other side can do good for this world.

January 21, 2013 at 9:12 am |
  4. Julie

This mother is doing the right thing. She refuses to indoctrinate her children from birth with fairy tales and nonsense. Its the way religion perpetuates itself generation after generation. Its similiar to the "stockholm syndrome". Parents are brain-washed and then continue the cycle of ignorance with their children. Losing critical thinking skills in the process. Its the worse kind of child abuse to teach your child to live a life of fear and obedience to something only the pyscologically damaged have seen or spoken too. Why would anyone believe anything some nim-rod is telling them from a church pulpit each Sunday without an ounce of evidence. Fortunately religion is dying a slow but painful death here in America.

January 21, 2013 at 7:48 am |
    • JustTheFacts

Julie… Believe it or not, most people on earth do have the ability to distinguish between things which are only fairy tales (such as the Cookie Monster, Snow White, Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Zues, Thor, etc) and things which are reality (Jesus Christ, Heaven, Hell, God). Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, there is a small segment of our society who lacks the ability to distinguish between fantasy and reality and often get the two mixed up (probably because they've been watching far too many science-fiction movies and have become confused). You seem to fall into this latter category…

My opinion is that, if you can't come to grips with the idea that this is the world where God truly exists, and to teach your children in a way so they'll be saved, then it would be far far better for you to allow someone else to teach and raise your children so you won't drag them to hell with you…

As far as there being "no evidence" that God exists – whoever told you that lied to you. The fact of the matter is, there is actually "overwhelming" evidence that God really exists (for starters, look no further than the existence of Jesus Christ). While there is absolutely not one shred of proof or evidence that he does NOT exist. So better check your facts…

January 21, 2013 at 9:22 am |
  5. Patricia Mueller

I am an atheist mom. It's been the right decision, even though I'm still trying to figure it out. I am mindful of teaching, and setting an example, for my children to be loving, caring, and responsible.
    It would be easy if all my child-rearing answers could be found in one book. But...nothing is found in any one source.

January 21, 2013 at 7:42 am |
    • JustTheFacts

That's because you've been getting your info from a false source. And all you have is false information...

Since you're an atheist, obviously you're not going to church. And if you're not going to church, then obviously you're not listening to the right people or getting your info from the right source. Therefore, all you can be is deceived...

January 21, 2013 at 9:01 am |
  6. Laura

I absolutely loved the essay. I live in the BIble belt and have had strangers come up to me, try to hold my hand and pray with me in a supermarket. I too, lied to my son about heaven when he asked what happens to people who die, because I couldn't bear to tell a little child what I believe to be true: nothing happens, we are biological organisms and we die. It's hard, though; even other kids ask my kid where we go to church. The weird thing is, I don't talk about my beliefs or try to shove them down anyone's throat, but no one seems to respect my boundaries when it comes to religion.

January 21, 2013 at 7:42 am |
    • Canada

Yaaa, those pesky Christians praying that you have a good life... annoying and obscene isn't it?

January 21, 2013 at 7:58 am |
    • Sue

It is obscene to believe in a fairy tale that is contradicted by ready evidence, when the claims and dictates of that fairy tale hold back advances in medicine and science, and have caused wars and countless deaths worldwide. Christianity is just such a fairy tale.

January 21, 2013 at 8:54 am |
    • JustTheFacts

Sue.. It is even more obscene that millions of people like you will end up in hell for believing a lie, when the truth is, that which they called a fairy tale was actually the real deal. and the lie which they believed was the fairy tale...

January 21, 2013 at 9:30 am |
    • Sue

Wow, JTF, sounds like your "loving" god is quite the vindictive ass hole. So, no thanks. Please keep your horrid fables about your ass hole in the sky to yourself.

January 21, 2013 at 11:43 am |
  7. DJYahtzee

I'm not a good Christian, Lord knows, but I'm thoroughly tired of listening to folks who claim to be loving moral people while insulting religion and God.

Christians are LESS guilty of trying to force their religion on non-believers then the God deniers are guilty of trying to force us into their lack of belief. Every lawsuit brought by Freedom From Religion people is a strike against freedom OF religion, an effort to narrow Christians' freedom to worship.

If your non-belief were as true and "pure" as some of you describe, you wouldn't be so active in your opposition. All the lawsuits and protests as well as the border-line profane, high-school humor being thrown around here might indicate narcissistic self-worship or a real belief in God's opposite number, otherwise why care about what Christians do?

January 21, 2013 at 7:37 am |
    • Julie

When is the last time an atheist knocked on your door and tried to convert you?

January 21, 2013 at 7:58 am |
    • Canada

As a CHRISTIAN, I've had Jahovah Witness knock on my door, they've always been pleasant and do not insult me. They respect my boundaries. But I can saee your point. Those Darn Door knockers! how dare they!

January 21, 2013 at 8:03 am |
    • JWT

i'm so happy to hear that you voted in favor of gay marriage DJ.

January 21, 2013 at 8:24 am |
    • notea4me

None of those lawsuits restricted your freedom of religion. They simply stopped you from imposing your dogma upon the rest of us. How would you like if a sudden influx of muslims into you town changed your religion to minority status. And everywhere you turned someone was shoving sharea law down your throat. There's two sides to every story.

January 21, 2013 at 8:37 am |
  8. betty

Just as people have the right to religious freedom, they also have the right to not believe. Your threats of 'going to hell' are meaningless to us.

January 21, 2013 at 7:32 am |
    • JustTheFacts

They may be meaningless in this world, but rest assured, they won't be meaningless in the world to come...

January 21, 2013 at 9:37 am |
    • MEI

@ just the facts,
      I suggest you change your profile name to Just The Beliefs!

January 21, 2013 at 9:40 am |
  9. saggyroy

Have you ever noticed how when someone lies and when they try to cover themselves with even more lies, until the lie is so totally preposterous and blown out of proportion it is ridiculous, and unbelievable except for the people who are in denial? That is religion.

January 21, 2013 at 7:28 am |
    • JustTheFacts

Yep, sounds like Atheism to me...

January 21, 2013 at 9:44 am |
  10. Nietodarwin

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullspit.”
    _ Richard Pryor
    If god created man in his own image, how come I'm not invisible?”
    _ David Powers

January 21, 2013 at 7:19 am |
    • Jimmy

Welp. Interesting story. Here's the thing. They were right. You DO need to be saved. Your views ARE wrong. Good news for now is; you mentioned a concern with feeling alone. You're not alone Hon, there are LOTS of folks going to Hell. Sounds awful and arrogant, doesn't it? Sounds like I'm forcing my religion upon you doesn't it? That would be because I AM. There's a reason for that. You're my sister in Christ & I love you. I want you to feel God's love too. Prayin for ya. Heaven needs great Mom's like you too ya know. :))

January 21, 2013 at 7:38 am |
    • Mirosal

Why does heaven need great moms? Can't "god" change his own diapers?

January 21, 2013 at 7:42 am |
  11. Jesse

I try to live by my Dad's words.

"Help if you can. If you can't, don't harm.

God is for people who don't have the courage or spirit to face problems on their own. There is nothing wrong in believing in God (any God) if it helps you get through life.

And death is inevitable. Everyone will die. Just like all life forms. So if you believe you can go to heaven then so can a carrot."

Works for me.

January 21, 2013 at 7:17 am |
    • saggyroy

There is nothing wrong in believing in God (any God) if it helps you get through life. – Except when it affects other peoples lives. For example when God told Bush it was a good idea to invade Iraq.

January 21, 2013 at 7:22 am |
    • northern light

"Except when it affects other peoples lives. For example when God told Bush it was a good idea to invade Iraq."

Or when Bush said that if you are a to be an non believer than you cannot be an American citizen.
      That s Christian tolerance and love.

January 21, 2013 at 7:42 am |
  12. JWT

You are instructed to delight in your god. I am instructed to delight in my wife. I was certainly never instructed to delight in your god other than for amusement purposes.

January 21, 2013 at 6:57 am |
    • JustTheFacts

That's because your instructions comes from the devil...

January 21, 2013 at 7:04 am |
    • sam stone

ooooh.....the devil......pretty scary, for those who believe in it

January 21, 2013 at 7:07 am |
    • JWT

What devil – you are still dreaming of your master. Wake up before its permanent.

January 21, 2013 at 7:07 am |
    • averagejoe76

@JustTheFacts – An you know for sure he gets instruction from Satan? And how come you know this? You have the 'holy vision' or somekind of 'holy teldpathy'? This is where you guys mess up............ 'details'.

January 21, 2013 at 7:14 am |
    • JustTheFacts

To "averagejoe76"… How do I know it? I know it because it's from the same place you get your information from. That's why you both agree…

January 21, 2013 at 7:30 am |
    • JustTheSkinny

Early Christianity: "hey let's make up some stuff! We can control some people with it thru fear; maybe it'll even scare some of the Romans; it might even be profitable! Cool, yeh? we'll start with current folklore as a basis, otherwise we'll look too much like a cult."

Luther, Henry VIII, et al: "these Catholics have too much control; plus the rules are too strict – to hell with my religion, we'll just make our own. It looks to be close enough so as not to look like a cult"

Joseph Smith: "I'm having some legal and financial problems, so I need to create something mind-shattering quickly. I can get my family to believe me. It'll be based on Christianity so as not to look too much like a cult." [ed. oops, someone went a little too far with the added pieces]

ALL ABRAHAMIC RELIGIONS ARE FOLKLORE!

January 21, 2013 at 7:50 am |
  13. alloy555

I see the question "is not christianity a religion'? NO NO NO, IS **RELATIONSHIP, with a living God, people! And yes, God will not strike you down for not going to church, but we are instructed to DELIGHT in the Lord, is one way we do that.

January 21, 2013 at 6:52 am |
    • sam stone

how do you define this "relationship"?
      what does god look like?
      what does god sound like?

January 21, 2013 at 6:59 am |
  14. Rob Menmuir

Good for Deborah. I am 72 and have been a devout and proud athiest all my life. Because of this I have no fear of death. I find it ludicrus that otherwise normal and intelligent people can believe in a god, especially because there has never been any evidence to suggest one exists. To me religion is the perfect scam. ("Throw your money into the collection plate or you'll go to hell")

January 21, 2013 at 6:45 am |
    • JustTheFacts

Rob Menmuir... You may not have any fear of death right now (all atheists lack the fear of death because they've been deceiving themselves about it). But you will indeed feel it before you die...

January 21, 2013 at 7:02 am |
    • averagejoe76

It's also one strong 'job-creator'. Can you imagine the scores of unemployed if religion stopped tomorrow? There are many who're skilled in worshipping the invisibles.

January 21, 2013 at 7:08 am |
    • jungleboo

"...You may not have any fear of death right now (all atheists lack the fear of death because they've been deceiving themselves about it). But you will indeed feel it before you die...

How odd, Mr. Rob, that you preach FEAR of death when you also preach "eternal life" with your god. Religions are double-speak because of this very mindset. An atheist can live his entire life with no fear of death, but appreciate every moment of this life as meaningful. You, on the other hand, live in a misery of guilt and self-loathing, begging your god for some kind of forgiveness for being born Human, and then dread death and cry about it and put up grave markers and try to prove that you were important. You have the gall to predict the future for happy atheists, telling them they will cringe from fear at their own death. No, dear. I could die today and have absolutely NO REGRETS, for I have used every bit of Life for good. Happy and productive. Ready at any moment to become inert stardust again. What an absolutely beautiful state of mind!

January 21, 2013 at 7:37 am |
    • tweety1900

You say "religion is the perfect scam." So, does that mean all the Christian Missionaries that help the poor in third world countries are a scam? Are Christian based hospitals a scam? Are churches that support the needs of intercity hunger centers a scam? Are christians that cook meals for the homeless a scam?

For all you that say "Religion is a Scam" or "Religions should be abolished"... think of the big picture and think about others before you say this.

January 21, 2013 at 7:54 am |
  15. Dereck

Rainbows are made when a unicorn farts.

January 21, 2013 at 6:25 am |
    • JustTheFacts

Did your parents teach you that?... It's no wonder you're so screwed up...

January 21, 2013 at 6:34 am |
  16. janet

Why is this story still running after so long? Haven't all the comments been exhausted on this subject.

January 21, 2013 at 6:23 am |
    • JustTheFacts

The devil wants to make sure he deceives as many people as possible. If this was a pro-God article, it wouldn't have lasted a day...

January 21, 2013 at 6:37 am |
    • sam stone

JustTheFarts: Paranoia getting to you?

January 21, 2013 at 6:44 am |
  17. Dan Barnes

Perhaps the problem is with how people insist that God is omnipotent in order to be God.

January 21, 2013 at 6:10 am |
    • JustTheFacts

God is God all by himself, even if you didn't exist. He is also omnipotent all by himself, even if you didn't exist. So your opinion of him matters not. The only thing you will achieve by speaking evil of him is sending your own soul to hell...

January 21, 2013 at 6:20 am |
  18. Yankeefan1a

It is sad that so many, church-goers and nonbelievers confuse religion with true Christianity.

January 21, 2013 at 5:17 am |
    • Russ

Christianity is a religion, is it not?

January 21, 2013 at 5:43 am |
  19. greymatter80

Adam and Eve had 2 children, Cain and Able. Cain then killed Able. After this, procreation took a turn...

January 21, 2013 at 5:15 am |
    • Russ

Cool story. Unfortunately the Bible is fiction.

January 21, 2013 at 5:56 am |
    • JustTheFacts

If the bible is fiction, then so are you. And trust me, you're not fiction...

January 21, 2013 at 6:42 am |
    • Mirosal

@ justthefacts ... can you verify the source for your litle book? Of course you can't. Your book is nothing but fiction in the least, and hearsay at the most. And THAT is why it is never considered evidence by any means of the word "evidence". Think about that, and ask a grown-up to help you with the big words.

January 21, 2013 at 6:47 am |
    • sam stone

JTF is a troll

JTF.....fvck you and your god

Clear enough?

January 21, 2013 at 6:48 am |
    • JustTheFacts

Mirosai… I don't have a little book, nor have I ever written one. So which little book of mine are you referring too?...

January 21, 2013 at 6:57 am |
    • Mirosal

The book of fables that descibes a genocidal yet all "loving" deity. Interesting paradox isn't it? Tell me, is every word, and I mean EVERY word, in your big book of mythology true? Answer carefully, I said EVERY word.

January 21, 2013 at 7:06 am |
    • JustTheFacts

Mirosal... Sorry. I don't know of any such "book of fables"...

January 21, 2013 at 7:09 am |
    • Mirosal

Sure you do. You call it the "Bible", but the correct spelling of the word is "buy-BULL", And it's full of babble. So, again I ask, is EVERY word in it true... EVERY word?

January 21, 2013 at 7:12 am |
    • JustTheFacts

Mirosai… And you have undeniable "proof" of that fact – that the Bible is untrue and full of babble? We'd love to see your proof. So please show us your proof. And we want undeniable "proof" – not opinions and not excuses. Either put up or shut up…

January 21, 2013 at 7:22 am |
    • Mirosal

I don't have to, The onus is not upon me. You have the claims that your "god" is real, and that your little book is "his" word. It is your claim, therefore it is up to you to show us the verifiable source for your "holy" book. I'm asking for your source that proves your book IS the word of a deity. Don't spin this on me, it isn't my claim that "god" is a reality, that's yours. It is YOU who has to, in your own words, put up or shut up.

January 21, 2013 at 7:29 am |
    • JustTheFacts

Mirosai… Just like the typical atheist. You'd say anything to evade the question. It appears you don't even have enough brains or commons sense to follow a simple statement, the statement where I said, "And we want undeniable "proof" – not opinions and not excuses." So what part of that did you not understand? The answer you provided was NOT proof. It was nothing more than an excuse and a sly attempt to evade the question. Either you have proof to show us, or you don't. The answer is either yes or no. If you have proof, then show it to us (and not excuses). If you don't have it, then I see no reason for me to be wasting my time with you…

January 21, 2013 at 7:41 am |
    • Mirosal

You're the one with talk of "god" and "devil". I evade nothing. Typical X-tian, you cannot verify your buy-BULL so you take it out on those who ask for that verification. It isn't up to me to prove a negative. Let's treat this as a court case. You are the plaintiff since you claim that "god" is real. We, the Atheists, make no such claim. All we want is the verification that your book IS the word of a deity. As the plaintiff, that's your job to show us. It is not up to the Atheists to prove you wrong, as we get the feeling that if you keep talking, you'll do that for us anyway.

January 21, 2013 at 7:50 am |
  20. RANX

Regarding religion..aside from the spaghetti monster,.....Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

January 21, 2013 at 4:59 am |
    • Ruben

Bro, put that pipe down.

January 21, 2013 at 5:38 am |