home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • Faith Now • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. zuul

there is only zuul

January 21, 2013 at 11:48 am |
  2. Aaron

I was raised in a non-religious family. Thank you for making your voice heard.

January 21, 2013 at 11:48 am |
  3. Gypsy

Try being a misunderstood Wiccan/ Neo-Pagan in this society, praying to gods and goddesses who, for 30,000 years, were worshipped prior to Judaism-Christianity-Islam. There are people who would rather see us DEAD than praying to Ganesha, Shiva, Ishtar, Isis, Athena, Osiris, Mithras, the Great Spirit, etc. There are many paths to climb to the mountain where divinity dwells, and who is to say that any one of them is better than the other? That being said, I still cannot openly discuss my religious beliefs, for fear of my life, quite honestly.

January 21, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • End Religion

Maybe consider moving. Have there been reports of mass Wiccan murders where you live?

January 21, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
  4. twoinchtammy

I too am raising my child without God. I don't know very many athiests/agnostics that give much thought to how Christians are raising their children – or care enough to condemn them for teaching their children religion. Yet, the same in reverse is not true. Anytime any non-believer comes forward to say, "No, this is not for me." they are buried in an avalanche of condemnation about their beliefs.

Can any Christian explain to me why this is? Why, if I do not bother you about how you raise your children, must you bother me about how I raise mine? Why do you care? What makes you think you know better then me?

Anyone????

January 21, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • Bonnie Smithb

God doesn't force us to believe, you believe or you don't! Your choice, for my self I had seen a little piece of Heaven and I can't wait to be held in my Father's arms! I have seen my 13 year old grandaughter pray for healing and receive it thats all I need to know! Thank You Jesus for making who I am!

January 21, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
    • JDJ

Thanks for your post. As a Christian, I must tell others the good news that Jesus forgives sin. I do not do this thinking I am morally superior, because I know my own heart and how vile it can be. I have to warn others that judgment is coming at the end of this life. If I have any compassion, any love for my fellow humans, I will tell them the bad news that we are all on our way to Hell and the good news that there is a way out. God allows people to believe or not believe as they choose, but I am sad when they do not believe. A pithy saying I recently heard is "Eternity too long to be wrong." I only ask that those who are not believers consider Jesus.

January 21, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
    • BlackCoffee

So you just choose not to remember the atheists that put up billboards claiming religious people are ignorant. I think you have selective recall. It is the atheists that have no tolerance for a different point of view.

January 21, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
    • BlackCoffee

Here is a post from one of your tolerant friends:

Reality to the Rescue

Religion is a mental disorder of confirmation bias, dellusions of grandure, and narcisism, although I'm thankful the theology is quite comical.

January 21, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
  5. GoodLerd

@Nemo
    Or maybe it was because we were at war, why blow something like that out of proportion. If we werent at war its not like it would have been ordered for the heck of it.

January 21, 2013 at 11:45 am |
  6. nopretensehere

For me, the whole premise of Christianity crumbles with this from the Brothers Karamazov:

Tell me yourself—I challenge you: let’s assume that you were called upon to build the edifice of human destiny so that men would finally be happy and would find peace and tranquility. If you knew that, in order to attain this, you would have to torture just one single creature, let’s say the little girl who beat her chest so desperately in the outhouse, and that on her unavenged tears you could build that edifice, would you agree to do it? Tell me and don’t lie!” “No, I would not,” Alyosha said softly. “And do you find acceptable the idea that those for whom you are building that edifice should gratefully receive a happiness that rests on the blood of a tortured child and, having received it, should continue to enjoy it eternally?” “No, I do not find that acceptable,” Alyosha said and his eyes suddenly flared up.

Dostoevsky, Fyodor (2003-11-04). Brothers Karamazov (p. 327). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

January 21, 2013 at 11:44 am |
    • bawlsaddict

I don't understand this at all.

January 21, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
    • nopretensehere

bawlsaddict – He is asking literally if you had the chance to build a world where everyone would live in peace and there would be no suffering but in order to achieve that you would have to torture one innocent child would you do it. Alyosha says "No". Then he asks if he finds it acceptable that others could live happily in that world knowing the cost. Alyosha again says no.

It's a HUGH slam on Christianity because this is precisely the proposition, Chris offers salvation to some but in order to have that salvation others MUST suffer. The idea of free will is that people have a choice but the cost of that free will is that some, even innocent children, will suffer. If you happily take your place in paradise, you do it on the backs of innocent suffering.

January 21, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  7. DeKalbBarbCity

I'll never forget an experience I had in high school years ago. We were each to stand in front of class and read the essays we wrote. I felt so sorry for one girl who read hers. Simply stated, her parents raised her with no religion. They wanted her to live her life naturally, and when she reached an age of maturity ready to make her own decisions, choose for herself what religion she wanted to join. This young woman noted the joy in her friends lives, as well as in their families. She however felt this amount of joy was unattainable for her, for despite her parents plan to "look around" and make a wise decision, she became incapable of loving someone or something beyond herself. She said everything centered around her, and her parents, and their profound belief in the fact that God did not exist. Her experiences rooted her firmly in her own type of anti-religion religion–which she was incable of escaping. Yet she could see that others had something that she never had. Some people have a hole (yearning) in their heart that is not fulfilled until it is filled with God. Others have such scarred holes in their hearts, and like this young woman, have convinced themselves they are incapable of experiencing the joy of God's love.

January 21, 2013 at 11:44 am |
    • mdwesterngrl

then her parents failed. but it has nothing to do with religion or lack thereof...

January 21, 2013 at 11:45 am |
    • One one

Do you recommend any particular god, or are they all equally effective ?

January 21, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • Religion is illogical...

The irony in your story is that religious people are the ones who thing the world revolves around them... The tragedy of your story is that's is an obvious fabrication.

January 21, 2013 at 11:48 am |
    • ??

.and I don't suppose she was ever bullied for her non beliefs.Perhaps the lack of acceptance by the majority led to the HOLE IN HER HEART.

January 21, 2013 at 11:55 am |
    • garyisabusyguy

barb,
      You seem to be making an unsubstansiated comparison between being non-religious and narcissiitic
      This seems to come from your own belief that your religious endeavors are largely bent on doing good for your fellow man

However, a large number of religious practicioners are there because they want to have themselves immortalized and to live forever in a perfect world. If you ask me, that is the most narcissistic desire imaginable. Each and every one of the true believer, numbering to the billions, will be forever and eternally iimmortalized? really?

And then you have the endless posturing, the play-acting to be 'good followers' when under the scrutiny of fellow believers, with the absolute denials of any 'human' behavior, only to haul out all the 'dirtiness' when they believe no eyes are apon them. Is this really a healthy model for any person's behavior

And as far as the non-believer, secular humanists go... Although you do not seem to have any actual experience with them... My own experience has been with people who care, almost to a religous point, about the well-being of other humans. They see their devotion not to an altar or a man with a collar or hat on,but to their fellow humans. They seek to understand the ways that humans behave and work to figure out how to both get people to act better, and to accept the things they do that we may find discomforting.

January 21, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
  8. JDJ

It is very interesting that this lady wants to raise her children without God when God says we must come to Him as children. A child is generally trusting. As adults, the temptation is to become cynical. God has placed an empty space in every heart that can only be filled when we repent of our sins and ask Jesus to save us. A faith can't be bad where the leader dies for you, gets back up from the dead, and only asks for you to follow Him.

January 21, 2013 at 11:43 am |
    • PeterVN

JDJ, it's classic Christian god fraudster strategy to get the kids while they're young and gullible and impressionable. Good for this mom in the story to start her kids off free from your sicko myths.

Like the great quote says,
      "Religion is for the ignorant, the gullible, the cowardly, and the stupid, and for those who would profit from them."

RAmen.

January 21, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • James

Really you want to raise children with God? You are way too funny. You are going by some book because you are scared and have no direction in life, so you go with something easy to accept...the bible. Im sorry that you have no direction in life and need to waste it dreaming of miracles.

January 21, 2013 at 11:48 am |
    • Daniel

Actually "God" never said that he wants you to come to him as a child..it is written in a book and books are made by man. Someone wanted people to accept religion during formative years because its much, much easier to form the mind of young children than a teenagers or adults (simply because these demographics tend to question things).

January 21, 2013 at 11:49 am |
    • One one

God placed an empty space in our hearts ? Why did he do that ?

We need to be saved ? Saved from what ?

January 21, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • Daniel

Follow the bouncing ball, its quite simple. Logic and rationality are king to us here on Terra Firma.

January 21, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • ??

Go to god as gullible little children.Grow up and try not to think too much.Yup- we get it.

January 21, 2013 at 11:59 am |
    • JDJ

Peter,

Thanks for your response. Trying to reach children and adults is important to me. The beauty of reaching a child is that they may make a commitment to God while they are young and not get caught up in some of the bad things the world has to offer. I would never condone manipulation. A quick story on my own front, if I may. I had an across the street neighbor who was Hindu. We invited his child to come to Vacation Bible School at our Baptist church. His child came, had a good time, and responded to the message about Jesus. My neighbor susequently told me that he would not have let his child come if he had known what was going on at church. I told him that I certainly did not want to do anything to hurt our relationship or make him feel like I took advantage of him. He said he knew that I would not do that and we went on from there. I do not have to manipulate anyone because God is the one who convicts people of their sin. I am grateful that He did that for me.

January 21, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
    • JDJ

God did not originally create us to have something missing in our lives, but our wrong thoughts and actions, sin, broke us away from God. He offers peace to anyone who will take it while there is time. As to logic, God is big enough for questions. It is interesting that we think we have things figured out without God, when God is the very One who gives us breath and the ability to reason.

January 21, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
  9. Reality to the Rescue

January 21, 2013 at 11:43 am |
    • JustTheFacts

To a devil, I'm pretty sure religion would appear that way...

January 21, 2013 at 11:45 am |
    • Daniel

Agreed 100% my good man/woman. Its no wonder why there exists a strong correlation between increasing intelligence and decreasing religious beliefs.

January 21, 2013 at 11:57 am |
    • Daniel

@justthefacts...are you insinuating that Reality to the Rescue is a devil? I'd call that judgement, and according to your "religion" that is reserved for your superior being. I find it highly entertaining that your name is JustTheFacts, when really you have none.

January 21, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
  10. Lisa

So... she states that she doesn't tell them about God because she doesn't want to lie. How many parents lie about the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, etc.? I personally would rather my children believe in something than in nothing.

I agree with some of the other posters – expose the kids to both viewpoints and let them decide.

As as far as the 'brainwashing' that someone mentioned in a post – can't the same be said about this person? If she doesn't teach both sides, then she's brainwashing them to her side.

January 21, 2013 at 11:42 am |
    • myweightinwords

You are aware that there are many more than 2 viewpoints when it comes to religion, yes?

January 21, 2013 at 11:49 am |
    • Primewonk

There aren't two points of view. There are tens of thousands of gods that we have invented in the 200, 000 years we bave been modern humans.

I assume you advocafe feaching kids that all of these gods are just as real as the christian one?

January 21, 2013 at 11:57 am |
  11. bigsones

Why do people who belive in god bash those who dont belive, and why do non belivers bash people who belive. If you want to belive there is a god, good for your just dont rub it in my face. If you dont belive dont tell me that i am wrong and i am brianwashed. It is my choice to believe, but i will not rub it in your face. Let the kids decide what they want to do. If they want to go to church let them go, if they dont want to go then dont force them to go. Some people in this world need religion to make it day to day, they need to have faith in something. dont bash them for it. If you dont need to have faith in something I will not belittle you for it.

All of the bilbe bumpers and the aethiest need to stick to there own and stop trying to see who has the bigger balls.

January 21, 2013 at 11:42 am |
    • Lisa

well said...

January 21, 2013 at 11:46 am |
    • ??

Then tell them bible bumpers to stop knocking on my door and telling me to find the truth or end up in hell.Whether you like it or not,the internet/information age is here,and religionS and their followers will continue to be challenged for their ancient world views.

January 21, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
  12. Eric Kossian

Dear Deborah, As a parent of two, I understand how easy it is to find yourself without an answer to an honest question from a child. I have made the mistake of answering with a lie; in my case, harmless it may seem, but the lie was about Santa Claus. After several years of maintaining the lie, we thought it better to simply tell the truth to our young children. It was a significant trust builder in our relationship with our children to simply tell the truth. It is okay to not know the answers to many of life's difficult questions. Honest people not matter how spiritual will always have questions we don't fully know the answer to. So, I recommend simply telling the truth if you don't know the answer to a spiritual question just like it is good to tell the truth about the answer to a scientific question.

I am discovering that the most important thing is to search for Truth. There are scientific truths and there are spiritual truths as well. If there are truths there are also false beliefs. Many things we have been taught both in the home and in school and by society are simply not true. If the goal in our owns lives is honestly to search out truth in every sphere of our lives then
    we at least are asking the right question. Not asking the question will always lead to our children being duped by some
    "spiritual" or "scientific" or other well meaning person.

Much of what is presented as true in Christianity I have found not to be true. There are whole groups whose purpose ultimate purpose is no longer truth but a chosen nobel cause such as peace, justice, abortion, environment. Beware of those.

It seems logical to me that we ultimately have to decide if we are truth seekers, such questions as did humans and this complex world just happen or was it created? If it just happened, end of discussion. There is then no morality other than your morality or mine, chosen on a whim at any given moment and my morality is never any better than yours and yours never any better than mine. This also means there really is no basis for any law. Old Saudi men wanting 8 year old wives is no worse than setting a legal age for drinking. such is the nature of things when we do not seek truth.

I find it interesting that you studied religious history. That is simply other peoples synopsis of what others believe. What if others are wrong; what if the author is wrong? Why not go straight to the originals to find out if what Mohammad said about
    slaughtering all unbelievers rings with truth? Why not look at what Buddha said about reincarnation and put it under the microscope of truth ( I love the idea of a lot entire lives to improve myself but is it true?) Or what Jesus said about blessed are the peacemakers for they shall see God?

The problem I have found with looking for truth is that I may not be comfortable with the revelation and it's logical requirements so I make the untrue to myself decision to stop looking for truth so I dont have to change to become more true.
    Jesus said, Know the truth: it will set you free (not enbondage you). He also said IAM the the Truth. To the degree that I have truth and truth possesses me I find I have more and more freedom and empowerment to pursue more truth. But my search for truth cannot replace yours. Too many simply believe the truth that "learned men" "men of the cloth" tell us. Jesus warned most vehemently against them as they more often than not lead to control and manipulation and systems and religion without any relationship. In my search I am discovering without relationship with Creator I have very little worth living for as all good things come from His hand.

January 21, 2013 at 11:42 am |
  13. david

it's silly to think man is sovereign in such a large existence. People can choose to believe whatever they want, but academic and religious minds alike agree that life is not random happenstance. Belief in nothing is a belief all its own...Usually because the moral requests of faith is inconvenient or they simply feel the microcosmic complications of their lives are more important and all absorbing. The truth is that there are many powers and influences in the world, both tangible and some that are intangible, more spiritual in nature. A belief in nothing actually defies scientific logic, and is a coping mechanism of its own. Some are afraid that we're alone, others are afraid that we're not.

January 21, 2013 at 11:41 am |
    • the AnViL

you are mistaking "no belief" with "belief in nothing" – which negates everything else in your post.

your assertions are rejected – you're ignorant about science and logic.

dismissed.

January 21, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • BlackCoffee

If you believe in nothing, how can you believe something is wrong. Whether is is a belief in nothing or a belief there is no God why are atheists/agnostics so threatened by Christians? They seem hell-bent (sorry, had to do it) on convincing us we are wrong.

January 21, 2013 at 12:56 pm |
  14. Eric

It's just really sad that people don't know how good God is and that He gave us a way to be made right from all of the wrong we have done. I believe. And if I'm wrong, then what... I won't know because I will die and cease to exist. If I'm right then those who don't believe will die and know the truth, but too late. I pray daily for those who choose not to believe to stop living for themselves and live for the TRUTH.

January 21, 2013 at 11:39 am |
    • Religion is illogical...

You're living your life according to something called 'Pascal's Wager', which is a logical fallacy.

January 21, 2013 at 11:42 am |
    • Colin

Hey Eric, a quick question.

If you were worried that your children, who you love very much, would not believe something you told them, such as "smoking is bad for you," would you:

(a) have your family doctor explain to them the various ill effects of smoking;

(b) show them a film produced by the National Insti.tute for Health on the topic;

(c) set a good example for them by not smoking; or

(d) refuse to give them any evidence of the ill effects of smoking, insist that they rely entirely on faith and then take them out into the backyard and burn them to death if you ever caught them smoking?

And what would you think of an "all loving Father" who chose option (d)?

January 21, 2013 at 11:48 am |
    • Blind leading the blind

That is cool you are a religious fanatic, but don't sell stupid here. Why is it religious fools are always selling their beliefs? Level headed people that don't really buy "religion" don't go around trying to recruit more non believers. Go pray in peace and leave the rest of us alone.

January 21, 2013 at 11:49 am |
    • JustTheFacts

To "Religion is illogical"... And you're living your life according to what Lucifer started. So what's the difference?...

January 21, 2013 at 11:50 am |
    • jackson

The truth? You mean YOUR truth. After all, there are many different religions on the planet, each with their own god, and each with their own beliefs. For you to assume that yours is the correct one and everyone else's isn't is the very height of arrogance and egotism.

Why don't you keep your beliefs to yourself and allow everyone else the right to believe what they choose.

January 21, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • FreeFromTheism

Alright, Eric, please, do not pray for those that do not agree with your world-view as you are doing them a disservice. At least in an abstract sense, you are forcing your beliefs on them (no matter how good your intentions are).
      You say its sad how people don't know your god, but what if Islam is true, then you're going to burn in their version of hell (or whatever). What if Hindusim is true and so on... You're only picking one god out of many and you believe that your god and what you know about it (including what it DEMANDS of you) is right.
      I would also maintain that Pascal's wager is a bad argument and you can look into yourself (look up Pascal's wager and you'll know what I am talking about)

January 21, 2013 at 11:52 am |
  15. Sam Beiler

I am full of questions about God and most of the answers I have heard most of my life fall short....BUT, if I am going to limit myself to a God that I can understand, control and manipulate,then he is no God at all. I admit that too many theologians and evangelicals have created a god of their own liking and present hm to the world as indisputable fact, but don't let that keep you or your children from the wonder of a creator who cares for us.To believe that we need all the answers will rob us of a life of joy.

January 21, 2013 at 11:39 am |
  16. Jen

For james again, since he really needs to watch and listen to this until he gets it.

January 21, 2013 at 11:38 am |
  17. The Truth

"Children should learn to do the right thing because it will help them feel better about themselves." I think the ultimate goal in doing the "right thing" is indeed for both parties to feel good about themselves, but this is not reality. Children need to learn the sacrafice of doing the "right thing" regardless of how it makes them "feel." Doing the "right thing" doesn't always make you feel good, but it is still the right thing. Christianity = Selflessness

January 21, 2013 at 11:38 am |
    • .

@The Truth

Have you donated all of your wealth and possessions to the poor?

January 21, 2013 at 11:39 am |
    • goat

The author was making the point that it's better for children to believe in doing good because it makes them feel good, rather than doing good to appease an imaginary person who is constantly watching them.

January 21, 2013 at 11:50 am |
    • The Truth

I don't have "wealth," but I do "possess" free time in which I do donate to helping others. I am also part of a religion, Catholocism, that helps and does more for those suffering on this earth than any other organization, government, or group has done since the dawn of humanity. People always forget (or conveniently overlook) this when they are discussing how horrible Christianity is.

January 21, 2013 at 11:55 am |
    • The Truth

@Goat That argument still lacks. Shouldn't helping others be for the sake of helping others, or in a bigger picture, humanity as a whole? Even if you don't believe in God, doing things solely for "self" is narcissistic, and completely contradicts another point she makes in her essay.

January 21, 2013 at 11:59 am |
  18. packerbadger

Jesus just told me you thumpers are idiots.

January 21, 2013 at 11:37 am |
  19. Gawd

Bill Nye says it best.

January 21, 2013 at 11:35 am |
  20. LORD IS A AWESOME GOD

He loves all, even those foolish enough to pretend his power does not exist.

January 21, 2013 at 11:35 am |
    • Dana

You are the brain-washed nitwit.

January 21, 2013 at 11:36 am |
    • Seyedibar

Which god are you talking about. At last count there were over 3000... and if you're referring to the biblical god, there are 36.

January 21, 2013 at 11:36 am |
    • Primewonk

Your god loves us so much that he threatens to kill us and torture us for all eternity. What a loving putz!

January 21, 2013 at 11:43 am |
    • EnjaySea

And how do you figure that believing something for which there is not one shred of evidence is not foolish?

January 21, 2013 at 11:43 am |
    • Religion is illogical...

LOL... Nice job of contradicting yourself.

January 21, 2013 at 11:44 am |
    • joelstewart

AN awesome god

January 21, 2013 at 11:48 am |
    • JustTheFacts

He loves their "soul" and nothing else. He doesn't love their sin and their evil ways...

January 21, 2013 at 11:48 am |
    • I wonder

@LORD IS...

If this LORD is as smart as you say, wouldn't he know that I was pretending to believe? I just don't ... and would be pretending if I said that I do.

January 21, 2013 at 11:56 am |