home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • Faith Now • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. Terri

"All the world’s major religions, with their emphasis on love, compassion, patience, tolerance and forgiveness can and do promote inner values. But the reality of the world today is the founding ethics in religion is no longer adequate. This is why I am increasingly convinced that the time has come to find a way of thinking about spirituality and ethics beyond religion altogether." ~Dalai Lama

January 21, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
  2. ScienceSoma

Morality without religion is actually quite simple. Do your honest best in actions and words to avoid harming others. Why should you not hurt other people? Because you do not want them to hurt you. Most religions have this basic tenet and it really is all you need. There are, of course, complex moral issues that require considerable thought, but religion offers no more insight on these questions than an existentialist philosopher.

• Reasonably

Easier for most folks to not think for themselves, unfortunately.

January 21, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
  3. Whocares?

What's the meaning of your life? Family? Why love and sacrifice? Why bother to be moral, ethical and good? Society changes and law changes. What's fair and just, and who makes the rules? Religion helps us address these human concerns. The alternative is to leave man to his own whims and devices–so called intelligence–to create his utopia. For me, Jesus Christ still offers the most compelling reason for my being and living–infinitely more so than any scientists or intellectuals. God loves you!!

• religion,,

you lack purpose? Seems you are owned. Sorry to hear that.

January 21, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
    • tony

And I supposed he loved the 250,000 innocents he slaughtered in the last two Tsunamis?

January 21, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
    • Reasonably

Religion only gives you a metaphor for what should be axiomatic.

January 21, 2013 at 1:43 pm |
    • JWT

God's utopia – shudder.

January 21, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
  4. Ivan Kahn

You can’t argue with the masses who have been brainwashed from birth. Once upon a time EVERYONE believed the Earth was flat and they were wrong. Then EVERYONE believed the Earth was at the center of the Universe and again they were wrong. God does not exist and at some time in the future EVERYONE will again realize they are wrong. In the meantime the more enlighten among us will have to endure, just as those who knew the Earth was not flat nor the center of the Universe did.

5. virginia

The reason why Scientism won't hold as a religion is cause atheist suppress their emotions and emotions are needed to hold a large group of people to form a Religion...reason confort emotions but only cause it trying to supress emotions the very thing that holds Religions strong....that might be the reason why Athiest will for ever claim themselves to be loners cause that is the bases of their claim i don't belong i am not allowed to show emotions there for I am atheist...this making a Scientism something they claim but don't feel like they belong to cause the bonding glue is emotion athiest deny emotion even when they know they feel them....

• tony

I should go to school and actually learn what science is before you befuddle yourself any more. It's fundamentally sensibly figuring out the answers to questions we don't yet know the answers to. As opposed to guessing or wishful thinking.

January 21, 2013 at 1:43 pm |
    • Reasonably

I don't believe in isms. Isms in my opinion are a bad thing. A man should not believe in isms he should believe in himself.

January 21, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
    • JWT

Atheists can;t show emotion ? Where did you dig that crap out of ?

January 21, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
  6. sickofxians

Gandhi: "I like your christ, I do not like your christians, they are so unlike your christ."

January 21, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
  7. LEAVE BEIBS ALONE

Justin BEIBER IS THEG REATEST SINGER OF THE HISOTY OF THE WORLD!!!

January 21, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
    • Billy

HE IS NOT GOD – ARE YOU EF FING CRAZY!!!!

Eric Clapton, is, of course, God.

• Reasonably

We wish he would leave us alone...and go away never to sing again in the "hisoty" of the world. If typing in all caps would help I'd do it...but it won't.

January 21, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
    • The Truth

You are both wrong, Lemmy is God.

January 21, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
  8. Joe G

Who cares what her religion is and how she raises her kids? Obviously her neighbors do, but how exactly is putting an article on this website going to help her with that? It's ridiculous and seems to be a pretty overt attempt at getting attention. If you feel "frustrated and marginalised" by your Christian neighbors, then I think you are lacking in self-confidence and the ability to be steadfast in your beliefs. I'm not a Christian and if any parents of my son's friends ask me about it, I'll most likely tell them that I don't like to talk about religion or tell them the truth. If they decide that they want to try to "save me," then so be it. Creating a blog isn't going to make them any more understanding of my beliefs, so all it would really do is help me feel better about myself, "knowing that there are others out there like me." Grow up people.

January 21, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
    • bostontola

You ought to read the report, this is one of the most responded to ireports of all time. People are resonating with it. Isn't that enough reason?

January 21, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
    • Gabriel Being

Creating awareness, through blogs or otherwise, stimulates conversations. While many of these conversations are not very informative or helpful, some of them can be used as learning tools to build upon, to learn, to teach. Those whom learn, teach and build may be far and few between, but so what. If just a few people gain something positive from this discourse, regardless of which side they're on, then something is gained from it. Very little is gained from hiding our beliefs, again, regardless of which side we're on.

January 21, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
    • Joe G

@bostontola: No, no it's not enough reason. What is her point? To try to connect with others who feel like they are being looked-down upon by their religious neighbors, right? To try to get the satisfaction of knowing that there are others out there like her. That doesn't answer my question: how does this help her cope with her religious neighbors? It doesn't. The only reason it is resonating is because religion is a lightning rod of controversy and people on both extremes are unbelievably opinionated and quite willing to bicker with each other ad nauseum. I'm not saying she's being disrespectful, but the whole idea behind this article is ridiculous, especially considering the religious climate in the country these days. It's just really annoying how people think that when they are out of their comfort zone, starting a blog will give them the confidence they were looking for all along.

January 21, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
    • Joe G

@Gabriel: I value honesty and respect. In that, I agree with this woman. However, there are so many Christians and Atheists who have no ability to respect each other. This article is not going to change these people. I found myself trapped in a religious conversation with two older, seemingly very devout individuals at a car garage one time. I was very blunt with them about my beliefs, but it was very clear that they weren't going to accept that I didn't believe in God. And that's fine, they weren't ugly or disrespectful about it, but in essence they were the kind of people that wouldn't let it go or take 'no' for an answer. I probably wasn't the first person cornered by these people and probably wasn't the last. But I didn't feel the need to start a support group to discuss my feelings, because it's not as if these were the kind of people I could track down and coerce into understanding my beliefs.

January 21, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
  9. nathan

you removed a post from my 91 year old grandmother CNN??? Really???? wow

January 21, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
    • Joe G

They probably thought your 91 year old grandma was actually a 111 year old dude. Happens all the time on the Internet.

January 21, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
    • The Truth

She shouldn't have been talkin about her tlt's then should she...

January 21, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
  10. tony

Most of us don't have any of the millions of church billboards to post rebuttals on.

January 21, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
    • GAW

But you have plenty of news forums to post on so quit crying.

January 21, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • tony

An explanation is not crying. Why do you think you have to like church billboard in order to be happy?

• GAW

Most Billboards are eye sores anyhow.

January 21, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
  11. religion,,

we need to tax religions and make those leaches pay property tax too. They are a worthless bunch who get grant money (our tax dollar), use our water system, police and fire department and our roads. They are leaches acquiring property wealth. TAX THEM

January 21, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

amen!

January 21, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
    • SoundFuture

Ah neo-atheism, our newest religion. Welcome. Also, road tax on gasoline my friend. They pay for the use of the roads :-)

• Austin

we have found favor with God. by the way God established a covenant with marriage, church and government.

• Gabriel Being

In addition to what you wrote, I would say that most businesses are held to Truth In Advertising standards. Why aren't religions, who solicit for money from people, required to demonstrate that their product is what they say it is...?

January 21, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
  12. bostontola

As a staunch (dare I say devout) atheist, I am fascinated at how (stubbornly) successful religion is. It's ability to hang on as a worldview after hundereds of years of scientific advancement is remarkable.

I also don't think it will just fade away as many suggest. It seems to be a powerful way to hold groups together, and groups are stronger than individuals.

January 21, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
    • religion,,

brainwash them as children and you get just that, the cycle of voodoo continues

January 21, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

religion is extremely powerful, because its basis is emotion, and people act and think based on emotion (at least to a certain extent, and too much so in my opinion)
      anyhow, that's where its danger lies

January 21, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
    • Frank Stanton

People are afraid of death, or, as Shakespeare wrote, "the undiscovered country." The golden rule exists in almost all religions and cultures. That is all that is needed to get through this life; to live a decent and meaningful life. If we look within, the answers are all there,

January 21, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
  13. Lanfear

IT'S EASIER TO FOOL SOMEONE THAN TO CONVINCE THEM THEY'VE BEEN FOOLED.

January 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
    • Gabriel Being

Very true... but I gotta hope that someday, just maybe, humanity will begin to get over it's need of illusions.

January 21, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
    • Reasonably

I think Bush the lesser said it best: "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

14. Sinner59

Everyone is discreminated against and marginalized by one group or another for an infinite number of reasons. There was a time when I considered myself an athiest and a couple said they were praying for me. It didn't bother me, I just considered the source. It long after that the source revealed himself to me. We need to get a backbone and stop being offended so easy. We are not all victims. Try to raise your children to not be spineless victims.

January 21, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

that's why I prefer using the term freethinker, because the word atheist alone doesn't fully describe a thinking atheist.
      i'm just saying that one can be an atheist but not because they properly justified their belief at any point
      i understand that happens

January 21, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
  15. Cdn_parent

Religion is a business.

January 21, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
  16. bostontola

I'm a believer, I believe there is no god.

January 21, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

except for IPU, right?

January 21, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
    • bostontola

except mine is peach, I have to be different.

January 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
  17. Jim T

tallulah13 The evidence that God exists, is that we're here. It's not emotional. It's obvious he exists. Your coming up with a separate conclusion must be drawn based on the presupposition that God doesn't exist in the first place. It's an endless loop, one neither you nor I will ever come to terms on. The reason is because you're refusing to believe in God and I am acknowledging that He exists. It makes sense to me, it appeals to reason. The bible is congruous with what I knew in my heart and mind to begin with. It further explains why men can't believe in Him. It all makes perfect sense. I'm aware that you don't get it. You know what? You can't. Why? Because you rejected Him. It's a conundrum. It's frustrating for me because I get it. I have to let it go. Like can you convince someone who is insane that they're insane? No, why? Because they're insane.

January 21, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
    • religion,,

sounds like proof for evolution.

January 21, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
    • Austin

get on your knees and beg for faith. its the only way to live. the bread of life. not given based on personal qualifications. this woman is right. it is natural and revealed within, either through light, or darkness. if therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness. you need to ask for your spiritual receiver to be healed and it will be.

January 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
    • Billy

Fail.

January 21, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • Jim T

Religion is mans attempt to reach God. Christianity is Gods attempt to reach man. Has nothing to do with religion. All men are religious, football is a religion if that's where your faith is. Atheism, evolutionism you name it. Famous form Atheists have departed from their views and switched to believing in God. Happens all the time. The universe has a mind behind it. The evidence says design. DNA is complex. It's information. Information comes from a designer. You have to decide there is no God then anything's possible including the absurd. Think about it.

January 21, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • UncleM

Complete logical failure.

January 21, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

What evidence? Science explains the universe, the earth, life on earth, etc. without the need for a god. What do you base your opinion on? The fact that you can't believe it happened without supernatural help? What created the god? If you feel that a god does not require a creator – why does a universe?

January 21, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
    • Madtown

Christianity is Gods attempt to reach man.
      ------
      Laughably wrong, and completely backward. Christianity is a creation of man, not God. It(like every other world religion) represents man's attempt to come to some sort of understanding of the spiritual, and to define and organize a structure regarding his beliefs. God has nothing to do with it.

January 21, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
    • saumon111

Hey mate,

When some nuts say that a myth, such as Santa, leprechauns, Zeus, your god or else is real, the burden of proof is on them, not on the rationnal people.
      If I tell you that I can fly you won't believe me unless I can prove it. Now if I apply your childish fake logic I'm just gonna answer you "ahah, I don't need to. I know I can fly. Prove that I can't!".

Who is in an eternal loop of stupidity now?

January 21, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
    • Jim T

My point and proof for God is inexhaustible UncleM and tallulah13, save your righteous indignant pity for us poor Christians because you're far from out of the woods. When I'm finished you'll be on the run and in complete denial as UncleM is. It's expected and only illustrates what I've been saying all along. You're the one that has sadly, rejected God and you have no excuse.

January 21, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

So basically you have nothing.

January 21, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
    • Jim T

Santa is a play on words, Satan. My contention is, you have to first start with a presupposition for "science" to explain the universe without a "god" You have to. "IF" there is no god then anything is possible isn't it? How do we know evolution is possible or the universe made itself and designed itself all by itself? Well that's easy science explained it and there is no god so it must be true. Circular reasoning. I can explain nonsense too. I can explain how a piano made itself all by itself. well a tornado billions of years ago come through a pine forest and..come on. Your blinded by your own haughty pride filled ignorance. You're a fool. God exists.

January 21, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
    • NickZadick

Believing in god because there needs to be a creator of the universe is one thing...believing god put out a instruction book for his club alone and go to an eternal disney land ih the sky is another....

January 21, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

No you have many things backwards. Santa is another mythical creature although not the one that seems to spring immediately to your mind. Gods were invented by primitive tribes to explain rain, floods, drought, wind, thunder, lightning, earthquakes, day, night, life, the universe, etc. Science explains them. If you feel that the human body was designed by an omniscient, omnipresent being please explain why it made such a poor job of, and has not corrected, such things as the spine, laryngeal nerve, the blind spot caused by the optic nerve, the appendix, etc. DNA and evolution show that the biblical (and all mythical) accounts of the origin of humans and other species is incorrect. You have no evidence apart from the imaginings of middle eastern sheepherders centuries ago.

January 21, 2013 at 2:05 pm |
  18. religion,,

I treat religion as I do p–o-r-n,, I keep it away from kids. Religion is just another voodoo, witchcraft.

January 21, 2013 at 1:26 pm |
    • AvdBergism source of filthyRainerBraendleinism©

Absurdity of Christian Captain Crunch dog. Goon Hebrew National dog, Ron Jeremy foot-long dog. Hindu goon dog. Islam dig. goons all. NO DOGS!!

January 21, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
  19. Austin

for the wages of sin are death. did you ever wonder if you hate Jesus and reject redemption because death reigns in you bodies, and you are a slave of sin and the wickedness of your deceitful heart. dont feed this to your children

January 21, 2013 at 1:26 pm |
    • religion,,

religion couldn't exist without 'fear'. Anyone who denies it's fear has the makings for a terrorist. (Fear, a tactic in brainwashing.)

January 21, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
    • Reasonably

You'd rather feed them hatred and bigotry and fear? I'm choosing to feed mine love, compassion, respect, honor and being good humans without any baggage.

When the next religious war forms between Christianity and Islam will you then realize how ridiculous religion is?

January 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
    • ScienceSoma

Having no reason to think Christianity is valid or that god is real is not the same as hating it. How do you hate something that is not there? It would be like hating the Tooth Fairy.

January 21, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • Austin

if you dont believe in evil then you allow it, promote in and breed it. that is not innocent.

January 21, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
    • Madtown

did you ever wonder if you hate Jesus
      ---–
      "I don't hate Jesus. I have no idea who he is, why would I hate him?"

- sincerely,
      a primitive Australian Aboriginal tribesman

January 21, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
    • Daniel

Austin, what's it like back there in the Bronze Age?

20. Owen

I find it troubling that many people need to believe in God in order to make moral choices. It's like they don't see the value in doing the right thing and being ethical if no one was keeping score.

The one thing we can all control is how we live our lives on a daily basis. The influences we have on our children, grandchildren, co-workers, friends is the only guarantee of a legacy that we have.

January 21, 2013 at 1:25 pm |
    • Lanfear

January 21, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

I don't think it's that some people need a score keeper so much as that right and wrong become extremely subjective rather quickly without a law giver.

January 21, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
    • Lanfear

Nail on the head, Owen. Never understood either why people need a book to tell them how to behave. I am thankful to have been brought up without religion. I do good things because it feels rewarding, and not because the bible tells me to. I volunteer with charities and also donate money to local causes... it's sad that so many people do this stuff just to make themselves look good in front of "God" and perhaps make it easier on their conscience when they ask for forgiveness every Sunday. Guess what, if there is a God then he can see right through it.

• MasterWooten

Owen without any creed or faith, what you deem "moral" or "the right thing" or "ethical" is eaither meaningless or just a matter of you persona opinion and open to your whims.

"The one thing we can all control is how we live our lives on a daily basis."

No you don't. You work for somebody, the bottom of your finances may fallout, one of your kids maybe become ill, someone can KILL YOU!!!

You don't control a damn thing either in your life or your surroundings which is why you are completely dependant on His mercy!

• Lanfear

Sorry for the duplicate.

January 21, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Bill, but that law-giver doesn't need to be a supernatural being that the majority of the world do not believe exists or has the authority to make that law.

January 21, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
    • Lanfear

@MasterWooten,
      Ever do something kind, simply because it feels good? That feeling comes from within, it has nothing to do with an external being. Good parents will teach you this. And what is the point of using the bible when nearly everybody who preaches it just picks and chooses which parts to follow? The bible is a horrible point of reference.

January 21, 2013 at 2:01 pm |