home
RSS
January 29th, 2013

Belief Blog's Morning Speed Read for Tuesday, January 29, 2013

By Arielle Hawkins, CNN

Here's the Belief Blog’s morning rundown of the top faith-angle stories from around the United States and around the world. Click the headlines for the full stories.

Belief on TV:

Tweet of the Day:

Photo credit: TANG CHHIN SOTHY/AFP/Getty Images

Cambodian Buddhist monks sit during a prayer ceremony in front of the Royal Palace in Phnom Penh on January 26, 2013. Tens of thousands of Cambodian Buddhist monks and people gathered to pray for the late former King Norodom Sihanouk, who will be cremated on February 4, 2013.

Enlightening Reads:

Reuters: Russia to rework bill on offending religion
The Russian government asked parliament on Sunday to amend a bill that would set jail terms for "offending religious feeling" – a measure lawmakers proposed after last year's Pussy Riot protest at a Moscow cathedral. In a statement issued on International Holocaust Remembrance Day, the government suggested existing legislation, if altered, might suffice to protect faith communities and seemed to question the need for the bill; critics have said it may harm Jews, Muslims and others outside the Russian Orthodox Church that President Vladimir Putin has been anxious not to alienate.

U.S. Catholic: Catholic samba group turns parade into procession after nightclub fire
A Catholic samba group in Rio de Janeiro changed its parade plans after the nightclub fire that killed more than 230 people, most of them students from the local university in Santa Maria. The Catholic samba block group known as Revelry for Christ was scheduled to parade through downtown Rio Jan. 27. Instead, the group turned its parade into a religious procession, with approximately 30,000 would-be party-goers singing Catholic hymns and making their way to Rio's metropolitan cathedral, where Archbishop Orani Tempesta celebrated Mass.

The Jewish Daily Forward: Landmark Synagogue Seeks Right to Demolish Itself
With its imposing blocklike twin towers and sober neo-Gothic design, the synagogue at 60 Norfolk Street on Manhattan’s Lower East Side has stood like a sentry at its present site since 1850 — long enough to earn landmark status from the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission. But now, this synagogue’s own congregation is seeking its destruction. Congregation Beth Hamedrash Hagadol, considered to be the oldest Russian Jewish congregation in the United States, is looking to reverse the landmark status of the venerable structure in which it once prayed in order to demolish it and make way for a multi-use development.

Huffington Post: 7 Things About Prophet Muhammad: A Clarification
In her recent piece, "7 Things That May Surprise You About Muhammad," author Lesley Hazleton offers unique insights into Prophet Muhammad's life. Giving credit where it is due, I've enjoyed Hazleton's TED talk on Prophet Muhammad, and many of her writings on Islam. In fairness, however, several of her "7 Things" are incorrect. This article mentions and clarifies these matters.

The Guardian: The church's sold-out CD proves silence is golden
The news that a CD containing half an hour of silence recorded in a Sussex church has sold out of its first pressing, and that the church is now taking orders from as far away as Ghana, seems a little baffling. "In this day and age, everybody seems to live busier, noisier lives – people sometimes like to sit down and just have a bit of peace and quiet for a little while," suggested Ronald Byng, the member of the congregation at St Peter's, East Blatchington who came up with the idea of recording in the church, although precisely how a CD of silence is supposed to blot out the relentless noise of everyday life remains unexplained.

BBC: Richard Dawkins and Rowan Williams booked for Cambridge debate
Richard Dawkins and Rowan Williams are to discuss the role of religion at a Cambridge Union debate. Prominent atheist Prof Dawkins and the former Archbishop of Canterbury will discuss whether "religion has no place in the 21st Century" on Thursday. They were involved in a public discussion at Oxford University last year. Ben Kentish, president of the union, said it should be a highlight of the debating society's 200-year history.

The Jerusalem Post: Student turns Holocaust survivors’ words into song
As the granddaughter of Holocaust survivors, 22- year-old Bar-Ilan University student Naama Winetraub has always found the Shoah to be an important and moving subject in her life. This is why she has decided to take on a special project in the hope of “bridging between the generations of the Holocaust and Israel’s future generations.” The initiative, a series of songs composed entirely of messages from the Holocaust generation, began after Winetraub came to a significant realization during her summer break last year: “My generation is the last generation that can still talk to people who lived through the Holocaust,” she told The Jerusalem Post.

Join the conversation…

My Take: An American Jew finds MLK – and a new understanding – on the West Bank…
Arri Eisen, PhD. – professor of pedagogy at Emory University’s Center for Ethics, Department of Biology and Graduate Institute of the Liberal Arts – says the symbolism of President Barack Obama’s inauguration falling on Martin Luther King Day was not lost on many of the Palestinians he met while at the West Bank. “Who would have thought in Martin Luther King’s day that you would now have a black president? If that can happen in the U.S., then maybe one day there can be peace here,” he heard.

- A. Hawkins

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa2DF5be3dM&w=640&h=390]

January 30, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • lionlylamb

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeGijutBSx0&w=640&h=390]

January 30, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
  4. Liar Patrol

Hey look! It's December! Sitting outside of an office building stealing wi-fi again? I guess it's better than stealing a hotel's computer usage you're not entitled to use. And their soap and stuff.
    You know who this is, folks? None other than Douglas. Yeah THAT Douglas. Live4Him's friend. So mild-mannered here, right? Another one of his little personalities. Oh, yeah, he lied about being raised in a secular home. He was raised Roman Catholic, although I'd be ashamed to admit that if I was as big a liar as he is. Oh well, enough troll-busting. I'm going to take a nap.Zzzzzzzz.

January 30, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
  5. Science

Check your god(S) at the cave enterance before entering.. No god(s) required for studying humans..

updated 1 hour 55 minutes ago
    Jan. 29 2013

Scientists have unearthed and dated some of the oldest stone hand axes on Earth. The ancient tools, unearthed in Ethiopia in the last two decades, date to 1.75 million years ago.

Ancient DNA reveals humans living 40,000 years ago in Beijing area related to present-day Asians, Native Americans January 21, 2013

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-01-ancient-dna-reveals-humans-years.html#jCp

January 30, 2013 at 6:41 am |
  6. lionlylamb

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htgV7fNO-2k&w=640&h=390]

January 30, 2013 at 12:04 am |
  7. Kosmos

I'm making $86 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbor told me she was averaging $95 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I'm my own boss. This is what I do, Rich45.ℂOM

January 29, 2013 at 10:08 pm |
  8. therealpeace2all

@December

Hi December...

You Said: "Did jesus not say something along the lines of "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. " John 14:6, now granted this quote says nothing of eternal hellfire, that christian concept came after jesus as far as I know so who knows who's lying in the bible or not. The main point I am showing you here is simply, you don't get to go to heaven and get eternal life or bask in gods grace unless you believe in Jesus. That's a string, how can you even debate this"

You Said: " Jesus Christ is the lord of my life. I strive to do what he asks. "

As it is written in the Bible, there are some useful things that may be helpful to ones' life.

You Said: "I **know** God has a plan of salvation for his creation. I believe my salvation is in Jesus hands."

Knowing implies absolute. How specifically do you think you **know** this ?

You Said: "I do the best I can, with what I have, where I am at."

I would suggest that for the most part, everyone does the best that they can, given the resources available to them. I would aa-smume that you are a good person doing good things.

You Said: "It works for me."

Good for you ! Glad to hear that someone has found a world-view that works for them.

Regards,

Peace...

January 29, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
    • December

>>Those are the literal words as it is written in the Bible. As to whether they have any basis in reality is a conversation for another day.

YEA. NO KIDDING. I know, but I asked the original poster to explain where it says "Accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, or spend eternity in hell and damnation." Or something to that effect. The guy unfairly attributing things to me, so I got a little frustrated. But then I remembered I used to think that way. And I probably still am guilty of doing that, too. So, I tried to take the higher road.

That verse doesn't cover his original claim. And he even stated that. What I'm supposed say? This guy doesn't like Christians and he is trying to take a verse out of context. I just ignored it.

I encourage you to read the entire chapter to be able to wrap some context around the dialogue Jesus Christ is having.

Also read John Chapter 10, where Jesus states "I have other sheep..."

>>Knowing implies absolute. How specifically do you think you **know** this ?

Well, I trust that God has a plan for salvation for his whole creation. I have caught glimpses of this plan in action. And I want to be a part of it.

Peace to you, too.

January 29, 2013 at 9:54 pm |
    • Science

Check your god(S) at the cave before entering. for study.

January 30, 2013 at 5:47 am |
  9. Good News

“The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
    He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
    and recovery of sight for the blind,
    to set the oppressed free,
    to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”

January 29, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
  10. December

> "Do you really think just because your church hasn't explicitly said "we're right, they're wrong"..."

I know that they believe in Jesus Christ. It is not so much about proving other people wrong. It is about doing what Jesus Christ asks us to do. And that is to love people who believe in Hinduism and Judiasm.

> "No, that's the definition of being a christian, is follo...."

I have a different definition of what it means to be a Christian than you. I'm fine with that.

> "How am I twisting your words @December? religion, "

I just don't agree with your understanding of Christianity, salvation and the after life.

> Did jesus not say something along the lines of "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. " John 14:6, now granted this quote says nothing of eternal hellfire, that christian concept came after jesus as far as I know so who knows who's lying in the bible or not. The main point I am showing you here is simply, you don't get to go to heaven and get eternal life or bask in gods grace unless you believe in Jesus. That's a string, how can you even debate this?

That doesn't support your previous statement. Where does it say

"I'll still be sent to hell for not being a christian"

or

"I am condemned to hell because I don't accept jesus as my lord and savior"

--–

> Do you honestly not believe that jesus is the lord and savior and just think he was a prophet? Correct me if I'm wrong here, this should be good.

Jesus Christ is the lord of my life. I strive to do what he asks.

I know God has a plan of salvation for his creation. I believe my salvation is in Jesus hands.

God may have other plans of salvation for other people. I don't know.

I focus on what I can do. What I do is what Jesus asks me to do: Love God and love others.

I do the best I can, with what I have, where I am at.

It works for me.

January 29, 2013 at 5:29 pm |
    • Steely Dan

Love your mama, love your brother
      Love 'em till they run for cover
      Turn the light off, keep your shirt on
      Cry a jag on me

Oh Michael Oh Jesus you know I'm not to blame
      You know my reputation for playing a good clean game
      Oh Michael Oh Jesus I'll keep my promise when
      You turn that heartbeat over again

January 29, 2013 at 7:31 pm |