home
RSS
A killing, a life sentence and my change of heart
Jeanne Bishop, left, and her sister Nancy visit Scotland in 1990, the year before Nancy's murder.
February 2nd, 2013

A killing, a life sentence and my change of heart

Editor's note: Jeanne Bishop is the sister of Nancy Bishop Langert, who, along with her husband and their unborn child, was shot to death by a juvenile. Since the murder of her family members, Jeanne Bishop has been an advocate for gun violence prevention, forgiveness and abolition of the death penalty. She is a criminal defense attorney in Chicago.

By Jeanne Bishop, Special to CNN

(CNN) - I have been paying close attention to the changes coming since the U.S. Supreme Court struck down any mandatory life sentences for juveniles who kill.  A teenager killed my sister.

He killed her dream, too. She wanted to be a mom.

My sister Nancy married young.  She was overjoyed when she got pregnant at age 25.

That dream died three months later, when she and her husband walked through the front door of their home and found their killer waiting for them.

He was a 16-year-old with a history of violence.  He wanted to see what it was like to kill someone. He found out when he broke in and shot Nancy, Richard and their unborn baby and left them to die on a cold basement floor.

When the killer was arrested, details emerged that turned my stomach. He had joked about murdering my family members, even attended their funeral.

When he was convicted of the murders, he was remorseless. When he was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, I was glad.

After sentencing, my mother turned to me in the courtroom and said, “We’ll never see him again.” I was glad of that, too.  I wanted to wipe him off my hands like dirt.

I never spoke his name. I wanted his name to die and Nancy’s to live.

When a coalition of people (including law professors such as Bernardine Dohrn and Randolph Stone whose advocacy on behalf of children I have always admired) launched efforts to abolish juvenile life sentences, I was appalled. The last thing I wanted was to attend parole hearings year after year, to beg bureaucrats not to release the person who had slaughtered my loved ones.

So I publicly fought any change in the sentence.  I told myself that fight was not just for my family, but for other family members of loved ones murdered by juveniles who would be affected.  I was like Saul early in the Book of Acts, the righteous one with a zeal for justice, before he was struck down and humbled and given a new name: Paul.

Then, I repented.

My road to Damascus moment didn’t come in a blinding light or a voice from heaven. The voice that changed my heart was that of a Mississippi-born, Vietnam veteran, Yale-educated  Southern Baptist pastor and academic named Randall O’Brien.

O’Brien told me something true - that Nancy’s killer and I are both children of God, equally beloved and equally fallen. O’Brien reminded me of Jesus’ example on the cross of what to do with those who have harmed us: pray for them.

I had never prayed for the person who killed my loved ones; I had never even uttered his name.

I say it now: David Biro. I began praying for him in the only place I could: the garden where Nancy and Richard and their baby are buried. I dropped to my knees and asked God for something I never could have imagined, that Nancy’s killer get well enough to get out someday.

I don’t know that he will; he is not there yet.  But I do know that no one, including him, is beyond the forgiveness and redemption and purpose of God.

My two young sons taught me that. We were talking about loving your neighbor as yourself.  Stephen asked, “What about the person who killed Aunt Nancy?”

Brendan replied, “We can’t love what he did. But we have to love him, because God made him for a purpose.”

Brendan is right. God made each of the juveniles serving life sentences for a purpose.  I can no longer support a sentence that says never.

Repenting privately would be cowardice, since my past support for locking up some juveniles forever has been so public.  So when lawmakers in my state of Illinois consider bills next month that would abolish juvenile life sentences, I will be there to speak in favor of the mercy of a second chance.

Dr. Marcus Borg, a biblical and Jesus scholar, notes that the roots of the Greek word for “repentance” mean “to go beyond the mind that you have.”

My mind is changed; my heart is remade, and a new task lies ahead.

- kramsaycnn

Filed under: Belief • Guns • Violence

soundoff (1,981 Responses)
  1. Sports Fan

I was watching the Super Bowl (I think the Lakers are up at half time) and then the Grammy Awards started. I thought that was next week?

February 3, 2013 at 8:21 pm |
    • Sports Fan

Now they turned off the lights and it is just nothing but tomfoolery.

February 3, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
    • Sports Fan

They are just grab assin' out there. Grab assin'!

February 3, 2013 at 8:59 pm |
  2. scranton

You dishonor you sister.

February 3, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
  3. Jacob Murphy

It seems to be that the issue here is once again one of remorse and rehabilitation. David Biro was 16 years old at the time of this killing, and he showed no remorse – per Jeanette Bishop's own words. That is old enough to know right from wrong and to show (feel) remorse for such actions.

Rehabilitation is another story – one which the majority of us are not qualified to answer. But I think if a person is capable of knowing the difference between right and wrong, can feel remorse yet shows none, and/or cannot be rehabilitated, they should be a candidate for a sentence without parole.

February 3, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
  4. Bum

And how will you feel if he gets out and murders someone else? If there are no repercussions that stick, what is to prevent anyone from repeating their heinous crimes? Will your god convince you that the next victim was in his design also?

February 3, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
    • MIchael Joseph

Does anyone know who won the SuperBowl 10 years ago? Does anyone care? 22 grown men being paid millions of dollars to chase a pigs bladder down a cow pasture, when they could each afford their own ball, all in desperate need of rest, with 80,000 fans in desperate need of exercise. What is going to matter 500 years from now? It will matter if you are in heaven or hell. Hell is eternal. There is no game about that. Death is like Game 7 Sudden Death overtime in Hockey –at any moment it is over. There is no next season. Like it or not God made you and he owns this stadium and he made the rules. Ever told a lie? You broke his rules. Ever stolen? Thief! Lust is adultery. Hatred is murder. You will go to hell if found guilty in your sins. Jesus died while we were yet sinners. No one else died for you. Jesus is God and only his death satisfies a holy just God. We don't choose the devil's team. We are born on it. That is why Jesus said YE MUST BE BORN AGAIN. You need to get traded to God's team. Repent, and believe the Gospel. No ticket you aren't going to enter the Super Bowl. No Jesus you aren't going to enter Heaven. Salvation is A PERSON. Jesus. Not a prayer or performance or in a pew or in a pool of baptism. Don't miss life because you had your head in the game the whole time. And don't miss eternal life because you let the devil keep you distracted from thinking about what really matters by focusing on game after game after game. Games are for children. Death is for everyone. Where will you spend eternity? I am on the winning side. I hope you join me.

February 3, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
    • End Religion

MikeyJoe, there is no heaven or hell. Religion is a shell game. Take your thumb out of your mouth and grow up.

February 3, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

"only his death satisfies a holy just God."

Wow. Just.........wow. Wow. Woooooooooow.

Just a tip: Don't vote. Nobody wants loonies having a part in deciding issues of societal importance.

February 3, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • Bob

Michael Joseph, your claims are nonsense and you are losing bigtime. Think again about your claims:

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement. Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

February 3, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
    • tallulah13

Michael Joseph, you said exactly one true thing: "Death is like Game 7 Sudden Death overtime in Hockey –at any moment it is over."

The problem with your post is that you immediately contradict yourself and start talking about an afterlife. There is no evidence of any afterlife, god, satan, heaven or hell. There, however, is plenty of evidence to show that your god is exactly like every other one of the thousands of gods created and worshiped by humans: Imaginary.

February 3, 2013 at 8:54 pm |
  5. lol??

Da slobster mobsters in Illinois stopped the death penalty. They go gaga over Gacy.

February 3, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
  6. December

People got p.ssed when Jesus suggested that God's prophetic mission typically pushes beyond human boundaries.

He wasn't killed just because He claimed to be God. People were angry that he said God's mercy and healing are extended to those regarded as "outsiders".

Outsiders can = murderers, atheists, Buddhists, humanists, the over-churched

Anytime we draw a line, and say us and them – God asks us to love "them."

February 3, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
    • End Religion

Doug, your god and your jesus never existed. They said none of what is purported, and further none of the things you have imagined they said.

February 3, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

I draw a line and ask for a crisp $20.

February 3, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
    • Bob

December, Jesus' whole claimed "mission" is a load of horse manure. The whole premise of Christianity that the death of the son of god would have been any kind of "sacrifice" and was required to deal with "sin" is utter nonsense. This is a supposed omnipotent being that we are discussing. Christians, think this through a bit: how come your 'omnipotent' creature couldn't do all that supposed saving without the loony son sacrifice bit? And for that matter, how was it a sacrifice at all, when an omnipotent being could just pop up a replacement son any time it wants with less than a snap of its fingers? Pretty feeble god it is that you've made for yourself there.

Christians, give that some thought and maybe it will help you leave your delusions behind. You will remain a laughingstock otherwise, and the more you dwell in your silly delusion and ancient myths, instead of keeping up with advances in medicine and technology, the more America slips downward relative to the rest of the world in science and other fields.

February 3, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
    • December

Bob-
      First off, I don't reject the advances in medicine and technology – at my church we pray for, pay for and contribute to their advances.

> Pretty feeble god it is that you've made for yourself there.

This is how God has revealed himself to us. He says his people are the poor, orphans and widows. And asks us to help them.

February 3, 2013 at 8:45 pm |
    • Free Nuts

For Creations

February 3, 2013 at 9:18 pm |
  7. Kathleen

it may be the right thing to do but I could not forgive or pray as Jeanne Bishop has. I firmly believe that if you parole violent killers like Biro, they will kill or commit violence again.

February 3, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
  8. Sports Fan

I am watching the Super Bowl right now and there is some football being played.

February 3, 2013 at 7:30 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Yeah, I've been watching too. It's a weird sort of football, though. Something's wrong with the ball. It's out of round and won't roll. The players have to carry it and throw it, which they can't do all that well because they're wearing armor and some sort of blinders that make them run into each other.

February 3, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • Sports Fan

Tom, they ran out of chicken wings and the people in the hole watching got mad a smushed all the balls. Plus I think they are wearing the armor and helmut because I have a short attention span. Anyway that is why strange metals can be super conductors.

February 3, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
    • MIchael Joseph

February 3, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
    • Bob

Michael Joseph, your Jesus claims are a steaming pile:

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

February 3, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
  9. Tom, Tom, the Other One

Jeanne Bishop, author of this piece, seems to be affected by something like Stockholm Syndrome. Her faith seems to have facilitated it by encouraging excessive sympathy with the killer. Just one of the evils of religion, I suppose.

February 3, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
    • Austin

evil comes from the heart of men, not religion.

February 3, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • Sports Fan

Austin, define evil and then we can go to work on your anatomy skills (hint: brain.....)

February 3, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • Austin

no i wont define evil. the heart of man is desperately wicked and deceptive beyond measure.

A former striper turned ministry leader who claims she once considered becoming a lsbian has offered up a rather unusual explanation for homsxuality.

In an article for Charisma magazine, writer Cedric Harmon interviews a woman named Contessa Adams who claims that she was once possessed by sxual demons.

i think it is real and true. i wont elaborate on how peverse demons are.

February 3, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
    • Austin

during sleep paralysis people experience demonic attack and many cases of mental molestation. you tube

and i have my own experience with it that i wont talk about. but it was during a "dream"

February 3, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Where do you, like, meet these sexual demons, Austin?

February 3, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
    • Sports Fan

Austin, with a all due respect to the mentally challenged, are you retarded?

February 3, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
    • Austin

no the devil is real. trust me. I am called to faith. thats all. it sounds mantally insane but it isnt.

THIS SHT IS REAL

February 3, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
    • End Religion

austin, is this the same dream where you ran over a cat and then fucked the roadkill?

February 3, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
    • Austin

no different dream.

one night i woke up and there was a whirlwind of light in my room and a high pitch noise to it. and i turned on the light and it was gone. no one believes that one either. it looked like i was inside a light tornado

February 3, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
    • Austin

end religion, why do say things like that that are so grossly perverted, when i am being serious. that the demon showed me in my dream that the cat was dead, and it was the only day i had ever seen the cat. and it was dead when i woke up.

this isnt a game. its not funny.

February 3, 2013 at 8:27 pm |
    • End Religion

What I want to know is how are these things connected:
      - sex with feline roadkill
      - your DUI jail time with inmates who "picked on you" (feel free to share more intimate details)
      - a bright, loud vortex in your bedroom
      - your obsession with prophecy and not so surprisingly the bible
      - your obsession with 9 AV or whatever the hell that is
      - your need to post the exact same information under many different names

Want to know what the connection is? We've been telling you for some time but you don't seem to want to know. It's either a chemical or physical problem in your head combined with a possibly tiny IQ. Go get'r checked out, will ya? I'll miss your bugnutty crazy posts but I'll be happier to know you're getting some help.

February 3, 2013 at 8:42 pm |

lol Austin.

February 3, 2013 at 8:51 pm |
  10. dean edward

christianity is such an illogical and rationally flawed religion that it never ceases to amaze me. to follow anyone that advocates pardoning evil people without rehab or retribution is stupid and wrong.

February 3, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
    • Thomas A. Hawk

You criticize for lack of logic but you don't offer a logically sound argument to support your assertion. Do you actually understand logic?

February 3, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Look at the basic premise of the New Testicle. If christian cultists readily accept that, they will accept ANY cra-zy idea. And we've already seen their willingness to accept nonsense in action. Slavery? Check. Subordination of women? Check. Marginalization of minorities? Check. Destruction of cultures around the world? Check. Stupid grounds for denying gay rights? Check. All justified using the Holey Babble.

February 3, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
    • Thomas A. Hawk

TANK, that isn't even remotely a logically sound argument.

February 3, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Because the way you refute an argument is to cross your arms and say "Nope. It's not logically sound."

Id-iot. Why would a dumbas-s like yourself think that he is qualified to evaluate an argument?

February 3, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • Thomas A. Hawk

Tank, OK, I'll show you a sound argument so you know what one looks like.

All U.S. States each have a capital. (Premise)
      Kansas is a U.S. state. (Premise)
      Kansas has a state capital. (Conclusion)

Now here's one that isn't valid.
      Some birds can fly.
      All birds are animals.
      All pigs are animals.
      Pigs can fly.

The reason that I initially responded to Dean Edward is because he called Christianity illogical but didn't follow by demonstrating a knowledge of logic himself.

February 4, 2013 at 12:33 am |
    • Thomas A. Hawk

TANK, just for yuks, did you ever notice that 7*7 = 6*8+1 ? Works for all n - n*n = (n-1)(n+1)+1

Initial case, n = 1
      1*1 = 0*1+1
      1 = 0 + 1
      1 = 1

n+1 case. ^ means raise to the power. That is 2^4 is 16.
      (n+1)(n+1) = (n + 1 – 1)(n+1+1) + 1
      (n+1)(n+1) = (n)(n+2) + 1
      n^2 + 2n + 1 = n^2 + 2n + 1

That's an inductive proof. Do you still have doubt that I can recognize a proof?

If you do, where's my error? - math challenge only without the name calling.

February 4, 2013 at 12:38 am |
    • TANK!!!!

Nice non sequitur copy-and-paste you've got there. You still haven't addressed the alleged illogic in dean's post or mine. You still look as dumb as before.

February 4, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
  11. Sports Fan

One of the two teams in the Super Bowl will win IF they score more football points than the other team.

February 3, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
    • tallulah13

Heretic. Hockey is the One True Sport.

February 3, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
    • Sports Fan

Silly tallulah13, you can't score football points in a hockey tournament!

February 3, 2013 at 6:58 pm |

• Besides, hockey is a reindeer game.

February 3, 2013 at 6:58 pm |
    • Ned

Bowls are for fruit. Football is for wimps. Rugby Oi Oi Oi!

February 3, 2013 at 7:01 pm |
    • just wondering

talullah who is your favorite hockey team?

February 3, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • Sports Fan

I knew a reindeer sir or madam. You are NO reindeer.

February 3, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • just wandering

just wondering, what is your favorite toe?

February 3, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • Akira

Gotta agree with talullah13 on this one!

February 3, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • Sports Fan

Akira, you seemed to have missed the point here too. You can't win the Super Bowl unless you score more football points than the other team, even if you dunk more hockey discs.

February 3, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
    • JJ

The team that will win is the team that baby Jesus picks.

February 3, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • Sports Fan

Yes JJ, but that little shit never tells the truth.

February 3, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
    • Akira

Sports Fan, oh, I agree; you are a most wise sage.
      This game most definitely be won if one team doesn't score more points than the other.

February 3, 2013 at 7:34 pm |

Excellent Akira.

February 3, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
    • tallulah13

Red Wings all the way! If there is a god, his name is Steve Yzerman. (I know he's retired and now working for the Bolts, but my faith is true.)

February 3, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
    • Sports Fan

Yes, they make outstanding work boots.

February 3, 2013 at 9:06 pm |
    • tallulah13

Heretic.

February 3, 2013 at 9:09 pm |
  12. Live4Him

@fernando : Josephus : Born 3 or 4 years after jesus was supposed to have died.

So you're argument is that I could not gather any information on a president born before my time from those who were alive earlier? False.

February 3, 2013 at 6:37 pm |
    • Live4Him

I'm heading out now.

February 3, 2013 at 6:37 pm |
    • Terry

L4H, your position keeps getting weaker. At other points you were claiming eyewitnesses, now not even that.

Good riddance. Hopefully we can say the same for your religion soon.

February 3, 2013 at 6:40 pm |
    • Answer

This generation and surely the next will be the end to their sophistry and lies.

These maggot creationists can't escape the influence of the internet.

February 3, 2013 at 6:42 pm |
    • tallulah13

Here is a link to a cite which shows why Josephus is not a reliable "witness" to the existence of Christ.

February 3, 2013 at 6:46 pm |
    • fernando

February 3, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
    • austin

I have had a dream where a demon presented to me that a cat was dead, and i went outside and it was dead.

also , revealed "word of knowledge" is a type of special revelation that I have experienced 3-4 times

also, special revelation of scripture that i was unfamiliar with happened, 5-6 times about scripture that i was going to read the next day.

I am one hundred percent positive that there is a devil, and God. and that I have a soul . and apparently it is obviously eternal. I believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, that He is God in the flesh, and that His name and blood are the most precious things on earth.

February 3, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
    • Bob

Austin, the basic premise of your religion is absurd, and false. The whole premise of Christianity that the death of the son of god would have been any kind of "sacrifice" and was required to deal with "sin" is utter nonsense. This is a supposed omnipotent being that we are discussing. Christians, think this through a bit: how come your 'omnipotent' creature couldn't do all that supposed saving without the loony son sacrifice bit? And for that matter, how was it a sacrifice at all, when an omnipotent being could just pop up a replacement son any time it wants with less than a snap of its fingers? Pretty feeble god it is that you've made for yourself there.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

February 3, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

@Lie4Him
      Seriously..........dude, I gotta ask. Do you pick and choose when to turn on your thinking faculties when engaging in sophistry?

February 3, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
    • End Religion

austin, tell us more about your time in prison and how the other criminals "bothered" you.

February 3, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
    • Austin

maybe someday you will realize evil and sin are a reality. look, there is a God, and you hate Him. those who love Him, that brings glory to Him. it comes down to loyalty to what is good. loyalty to the one who gave you life and a soul. and you cant fathom God allowing evil and so you blame Him....that is where we all struggle. but instead of you being responsible for you self, He took responsibility for your nature. eternal life is the whole reason sin was alowed. glorification of God, and those who choose Him. but you dont believe that because you are too proud to ask and rely on God to sustain your faith. this pride is evil, and the most foolish thing a man can do. spiritual suicide. faith is a gift, not a personal quality.

February 3, 2013 at 7:13 pm |
    • Austin

jail not prison. if i was relying on my own assets to attract you into my testimony i would leave out anything to prop up a bunch of crap. but that is not why i am here. I am here to convey to you the reality of the living God. that no personal merit qualifiied Israel or any believer, and that God loves all of you. everyone has been justified. none of us are faithful, but God is faithful in love. He will give you faith if you ask for it, if you need it. If you realize sin and evil are real, He is victorious through His resurrection and He will be back. in the mean time, He is calling you to salvation through the name and blood of Jesus.

February 3, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • Bob

Again, austin, give your beliefs some more serious examination. The whole premise of Christianity that the death of the son of god would have been any kind of "sacrifice" and was required to deal with "sin" is utter nonsense. This is a supposed omnipotent being that we are discussing. Think this through a bit: how come your 'omnipotent' creature couldn't do all that supposed saving without the loony son sacrifice bit? And for that matter, how was it a sacrifice at all, when an omnipotent being could just pop up a replacement son any time it wants with less than a snap of its fingers? Pretty feeble god it is that you've made for yourself there.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

February 3, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
  13. Answer

This is my paraphrasing of the words that Christopher Hitchens had once said...

"Even if you give the maggot creationists everything they claim in their bible as true they still can't tell you what is a divine event."

February 3, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

The fact that creationists have not been killed by their own monumental stupidity is miraculous. All praise jeebus, who sustains the liars and sophists who commit crimes against their fellow man in his name!!

February 3, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Most apologists/exegisists who post on here want it both ways: their Truth is supernatural but is responsible for everything natural (except nasty unsightly things like evil – that would be our doing).

February 3, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • truth be told

A divine event ... judgment and retribution (what goes around comes around)
      Having a drunken lying blasphemous self deceived atheist die with its throat rotted out at a relatively young age. The same throat that thought it was being so smart by insulting God.

February 3, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
    • Answer

What god?

You looking at your toilet and finding that floatie?

February 3, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
  14. Marybeth

Buddhist are one of the most kind, loving, and forgiving of people and yet they don't believe in your "God". Christians don't corner the market on good values (hardly!), nor do those who believe in God. It's the self-righteous moralizing that makes people so very angry. Please believe in whatever you choose, but please don't demonize those of us who may not share those beliefs or assume that you walk on higher moral grounds. I believe Jesus cautioned about judging others....

February 3, 2013 at 6:32 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Y'see, jeebus is a fickle id-iot who rejoices when christian cultists flout his absolute ordinances. In fact, he's so pleased that christians think he's so stupid that he intends to spend an eternity hanging around with these liars. Isn't that great?

February 3, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
  15. skytag

Psychopaths should be locked up until they die. No amount delusions about an imaginary being can cure psychopathy.

February 3, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

No cure can overcome your outrage over what a psychopath may have done. Besides, keeping them locked up is the least we can do for their victims. Right skytag?

February 3, 2013 at 6:37 pm |
  16. austin

oh..........and this is the uniformitarianism theory debunked 18 centuries ahead of time. thanks lyell and hutton for crediting Peter with his nul hypothesis.
    2 Peter 3:3-6

3 Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4 They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.” 5 But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed.

February 3, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
    • austin

and the bible says the earth was round, spinning on an axis, and that stars are as the sands of the seas.

is that true that physics is falling apart, and doesn't know what is going on?

February 3, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

"the earth was formed out of water"

Time to throw modern chemistry out through the window then.

February 3, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
    • Bob

Austin, the bible actually contradicts itself on the shape of earth and on many other fronts. Care to try again, at defending your disgusting, evil Christian delusions? Have a look at this fine stuff in your horrid Christian book of nasty:

Numbers 31:17-18
      17 Now kiII all the boys. And kiII every woman who has slept with a man,
      18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Deuteronomy 13:6 – “If your brother, your mother’s son or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul entice you secretly, saying, let us go and serve other gods … you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death”

Revelations 2:23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Leviticus 25
      44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.
      45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.
      46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Note that the bible is also very clear that you should sacrifice and burn an animal today because the smell makes sicko Christian sky fairy happy. No, you don't get to use the parts for food. You burn them, a complete waste of the poor animal.

Yes, the bible really says that, everyone. Yes, it's in Leviticus, look it up. Yes, Jesus purportedly said that the OT commands still apply. No exceptions. But even if you think the OT was god's mistaken first go around, you have to ask why a perfect, loving enti-ty would ever put such horrid instructions in there. If you think rationally at all, that is.

And then, if you disagree with my interpretation, ask yourself how it is that your "god" couldn't come up with a better way to communicate than a book that is so readily subject to so many interpretations and to being taken "out of context", and has so many mistakes in it. Pretty pathetic god that you've made for yourself.

So get out your sacrificial knife or your nasty sky creature will torture you eternally. Or just take a closer look at your foolish supersti-tions, understand that they are just silly, and toss them into the dustbin with all the rest of the gods that man has created.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

February 3, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
    • austin

tank, you arent reading that properly, out of water :not in the water resting on the water, floating on the water...

Bob, i can understand if you are wanting stem cell research to cure someone. I am not big on the pandering in law and lobbying, but a democracy is a democracy. i responded about the slavery and the other stuff as the vehicle of israel that had to survive, not that they were special, but the message and atonement and the redemption through the blood is all that mattered about Israel.

You have no chance.

you need to stop shaking your fist at God. your whole outlook on the old testament is like a criminal trying to justify burning a library down.

February 3, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

@ austin Of course! I'm not reading it properly unless I ascribe to your particular and baseless interpretations.

"floating on the water"

There goes centuries of work in Geology as well! Jeebus be praised!!!!!!!

February 3, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • Bob

Austin, actually read what I presented. It is NT and OT both. So again, look more closely at your beliefs. The whole premise of Christianity that the death of the son of god would have been any kind of "sacrifice" and was required to deal with "sin" is utter nonsense. This is a supposed omnipotent being that we are discussing. Christians, think this through a bit: how come your 'omnipotent' creature couldn't do all that supposed saving without the loony son sacrifice bit? And for that matter, how was it a sacrifice at all, when an omnipotent being could just pop up a replacement son any time it wants with less than a snap of its fingers? Pretty feeble god it is that you've made for yourself there. Give that some thought and maybe it will help you leave your delusions behind. You will remain a laughingstock otherwise, and the more you dwell in your silly delusion and ancient myths, instead of keeping up with advances in medicine and technology, the more America slips downward relative to the rest of the world in science and other fields.

February 3, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • Bob

And furthermore Austin, your analogy was a false one.

February 3, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
  17. Philip

Live4Him- you are wrong. Concede this round to Akira.

February 3, 2013 at 6:25 pm |

18. Live4Him

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

February 3, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
  19. Sports Fan

Creationists don't even know that the first Seahawks franchise was in Miami ! lol!

February 3, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
    • Sports Fan

Please do not report me for copy cat!

February 3, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
  20. Reality

Only for the eyes of Jeanne Bishop who still has not responded to my original message:

The Apostles' / Agnostics’ Creed 2013 (updated by yours truly based on the studies of NT historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven?????

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
    ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
    (References used are available upon request.)

February 3, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • Live4Him

@Reality : Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by many semi-fiction writers.

There are many non-Christian writers who acknowledge that the rumor of his resurrection occurred. Why would they record this history if his body was still in the tomb?

February 3, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Live4Him

Now, there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of wonderful works—a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews, and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ; and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him, for he appeared to them alive again the third day, as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him; and the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.
      Josephus, Flavius, Antiquities 18.3.3

February 3, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
    • End Religion

John 6 – "53So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves.54“He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.55“For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink.56“He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.57“As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me.58“This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever.”

The tomb was empty because you ravenous Chrisitans gobbled up your own savior. How do I know? Because the tomb was empty!

February 3, 2013 at 6:26 pm |
    • fernando

Josephus : Born 3 or 4 years after jesus was supposed to have died. Antiquities written a few six decades later, around the time the oldest biblical manuscript emerges. Not a contemporary account.

February 3, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • tallulah13

That particular quote from Josephus has been shown to have been added generations after the initial writing. One can only suppose that unscrupulous clerics decided to "create" proof for the gullible and illiterate. There is certainly no reason now for a moderately educated person to believe in such a fabrication.

February 3, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
    • John

Fernando, all historical accounts are written after they occurred. Please, pay attention, because if your claim is that an account written afterwards "just has to be wrong", then to you, all historical accounts must be wrong. And if you claim all historical accounts have to be written before they occurred... well, then I guess I can see why you aren't able to comprehend God existing.

February 3, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • OTOH

John,

There are many historical events which were reported on-the-spot in real time. The purported most important event since the beginning of time (Jesus's life and alleged astounding miracles), and not a single real-time (that's what 'contemporary' means, you know) report? Not. A. Single. One. ?

February 3, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • fernando

@ John Stop putting words in my mouth. As I told Live 4 Him above:

"We have primary sources with contemporary and corroborating evidence for each president. The primary sources for the christian myth of which we are sure are not contemporary, and often not corroborating."

The earliest primary sources of the christian account do not date beyond 100 AD and the authors for all except Paul's epistles cannot be concretely established.

February 3, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
    • fernando

And I said nothing about the question of god's existence. If you think the falsity of the christian myth is an argument against the existence of all versions of "god,". .............well, I can't even begin to fathom why you would think that.

February 3, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • dean edward

For anyone with the mental power to use google, look up saviour myths... Christianity was only one of a long line of pagan savior myths and was not the first by any means. its time for people to wake up and realize what this religion is all about.....mythology.

February 3, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • John

Fernando, the account is accurate and says Herod Archelaeus was the ruler at the time of Jesus's birth. Herod the Great had died in 4BC, his three sons, all names Herod, became rulers of their specific regions then. Archelaeus was banished later, before Joseph was visited by the angel when Joseph said he didn't want to go back because of Archelaeus... can't get any better historical account... but it's like anything where YOU want to reject God, you won't believe anything... I could tell you God said X, Y, and Z, and you won't believe it... anything, nothing is good enough if you want to reject the truth. It's always been that way, you're not the first, and God knows how to deal with you, just turn his back on you and reject you, like you rejected him.

February 3, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
    • End Religion

John, if it were 2113 and I want to make up a lie about Zippo The Odd-Snouted Miracle Worker being born in 2013, apparently all I would need to do is say an angel appeared and told me Obama was President when Zippo was born. Suddenly it is historically accurate? You see what you want to see, however there isn't one single credible eyewitness. Your jesus never existed.

February 3, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
    • John

ER, it looks like you're admitting the eye witness accounts in the New Testament are historically accurate. Good. Because Herod Archelaeus, did rule during the time of Jesus's birth, and like Jospeh feared going back later, the angel told him he didn't need to worry anymore and to go back. Herod Archelaeus was banished by then, gone, so Joseph went back. It says Joseph also feared the family of Herod, the two other brothers named Herod still ruled. That's accurate. Now your claim is that "Jesus was just made up" and the account is accurate. What ever... nothing is enough... everyone is a liar... God can't exist because you don't want him to exist. But ER... I know he exists... I know you're wrong. I know what God said, and I know you're wrong... it's you that has to wonder, I don't have to wonder. I simply tell you he's there, and you deny it.

February 3, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

@ John Well, the Greek myths also mention the city of Athens. Therefore Athena must exist, and Zeus as well.

"can't get any better historical account"

Well, we can rule out a career in textual and historical analysis for you right away.

" I could tell you God said X, Y, and Z"

The implication being that we should accept you as a mouthpiece of god?

And it is YOU who will not accept the truth, which is why you fabricate nonsense arguments like the ones you've given so far. If lying to yourself and rubbing your hands at the prospect of those who don't agree with you being "rejected by god" makes you feel better of yourself, that's fine. but think twice before presenting faulty arguments like the ones you've presented in public. Not everybody is as prone to self-delusion as you are.

February 3, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
    • John

Tank, this is the typical pattern, the people that hate God, or hate what he wants, typically do so without knowing that the account is historically accurate. After that, the only thing left is their desire for God not to exist, and saying anything said by eye witnesses, just has to be a lie. And this is where you hide in a hole saying nothing else exists... only you exist... everything else is a lie. OK, for you, everything else is a lie. Like I said, I already know God is there, you can hide in a hole and hope he isn't. There were multiple witnesses then, 12 at the time, and more after. Notice though, you have faith that the entire universe formed from your god called "nothing", and you also deny that God did even the most simpliest of miracles through Jesus, basically insignificant compared to a universe forming. You must really not want God to be there... but I'm telling you, he's there.

February 3, 2013 at 8:40 pm |
    • tallulah13

John, disbelief in god is not hatred of god or hatred of what you believe your god wants. Most of us who don't believe simply looked at the facts and realized that there isn't a single rational reason to believe in your god or any god. You have decided that you want to believe in something because it makes you feel good. Sorry. This doesn't impart any special virtue upon you.

February 3, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
    • End Religion

John, now you're just devolving into lies which is very sad since it appears I will be the source of your burning in hell for all eternity. I feel a tear coming on.

You want to know what existed? Your mom. Of all the books and films and classes taught in the name of Jesus, there doesn't exist any credible evidence your jesus existed, however I don't know a single thing about your mom. I would bet there probably weren't any books or films written with her as the main subject, no classes taught in college about her, but I *do* believe your mom existed. I guess she'd be disturbed you're lying.

There is no empirical evidence of the tiniest miracle (supernatural event) ever occurring, not in "jesus' time" and not in ours. People do not walk on water. They do not rise from death after a few days. They do not fly up to the clouds to live with other sky fairies. The whole shebang was developed by goat herders more ignorant than our average 10th grader is today, in an attempt to explain their world. It's preposterous for anyone to carry on with it today, and even moreso to expect any sort of respect for the childish notions known as religion.

February 3, 2013 at 8:56 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

@ John Why do you keep putting words in people's mouths? Just because you can't argue the facts is no warrant to start setting up straw men. And stop begging the question. The validity of the "historical record" of jeebus has not been proven. The basis of your sophistry is still as weak as before.

"There were multiple witnesses then, 12 at the time, and more after."

The Babble makes the claim of miracles, and the same Babble says there were witnesses, so it must be right. In the same vein, I have five billion dollars stacked in my garage that I'm willing to split with you, and I'm telling the truth because I tell you that 5000 people passed by my house and saw it. Do you believe me?

February 3, 2013 at 8:56 pm |
    • John

ER, not to discount Jesus raising from the dead, but really, there are endless numbers of accounts of people waking up at their own funerals, and some where they were found to have woke up after being buried... in the ground... and then dying again in their casket. IIRC they used to add a rope for people to signal they're alive. Look it up if you're interested. Regardless, it's not a problem for God to do any miracle, IMO, after creating a universe, and all the predictions he's done, knowing people's hearts and minds, what they'll do, and say later... think about it. God already knows what you're thinking... you have no excuse.

February 3, 2013 at 9:51 pm |
    • Reality

Saving Christians from the Infamous Resurrection Con/

From that famous passage: In 1 Corinthians 15: 14, Paul reasoned, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith."

To wit;

From a major Catholic university's theology professor’s grad school white-board notes:

Jesus and Mary's bodies are therefore not in Heaven.

Only Luke records it. (Luke mentions it in his gospel and Acts, i.e. a single attestation and therefore historically untenable). The Ascension ties Jesus' mission to Pentecost and missionary activity of Jesus' followers.

The Assumption has multiple layers of symbolism, some are related to Mary's special role as "Christ bearer" (theotokos). It does not seem fitting that Mary, the body of Jesus' Virgin-Mother (another biblically based symbol found in Luke 1) would be derived by worms upon her death. Mary's assumption also shows God's positive regard, not only for Christ's male body, but also for female bodies." "

The Vatican quickly embellished this story with a lot CYAP.

With respect to rising from the dead, we also have this account:

An added note: As per R.B. Stewart in his introduction to the recent book, The Resurrection of Jesus, Crossan and Wright in Dialogue,

p.4

p.168. by Ted Peters:

Even so, asking historical questions is our responsibility. Did Jesus really rise from the tomb? Is it necessary to have been raised from the tomb and to appear to his disciples in order to explain the rise of early church and the transcription of the bible? Crossan answers no, Wright answers, yes. "

So where are the bones"? As per Professor Crossan's analyses in his many books, the body of Jesus would have ended up in the mass graves of the crucified, eaten by wild dogs, covered with lime in a shallow grave, or under a pile of stones.

February 3, 2013 at 10:59 pm |
    • End Religion

@John: "there are endless numbers of accounts of people waking up at their own funerals"

We're talking about dead people, not people who we thought might be dead but who weren't. We didn't always possess the medical knowledge we have now. I heard about the rope in the casket before, in a documentary about how medical knowledge used to be poor and how the funeral business took advantage of people's fears of being buried alive by selling these caskets. Don't quote me but I think the show also said they didn't know of a case where anybody was saved via such a rope/bell in the casket.

***
      "Regardless, it's not a problem for God to do any miracle"

Obviously it is a problem. There aren't any miracles. All events are perfectly natural.

***
      "IMO, after creating a universe, and all the predictions he's done, knowing people's hearts and minds, what they'll do, and say later... think about it. God already knows what you're thinking... you have no excuse."

I understand you have a strong emotion that makes you want to believe god created the universe, however we happen to have zero empirical evidence for any god and on the other hand we have much EE that the universe's creation was a natural process that started with the Big Bang. That is our reality.

There is no EE any god exists, let alone that such a being can read minds or whatever other parlor tricks you can imagine.

February 4, 2013 at 12:09 am |