home
RSS
February 5th, 2013

The Bible Belt brouhaha over beer

By Tommy Andres, CNN

Montgomery, Alabama (CNN) – Despite the fact that it has been federally legal since 1979, there are still two U.S. states that don't allow residents to make beer in their own homes: Alabama and Mississippi.

The issue is expected to be one of the first to surface in Alabama's state legislature as lawmakers there head back to session this week, and a colorful standoff is likely.

Homebrew laws have failed to materialize for the past five years, with religion and morality arguments narrowly beating out the estimated 5,000 underground homebrewers in the state who say their civil liberties are on the line.

Listen to the full story in our player above or on CNN Radio Soundwaves

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Alabama • Mississippi

1. HebrewNation

Americans need to get off the jew juice if they ever want to regain any mental coherence, of course this is all according to plan by the nation-wrecking heebs. They've always been distillers, brewers, and tavern owners to control the goyim's animalistic urges.

February 5, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
  2. Blending religions

Beer won't help. If you want to feel closer to God you need peyote.

February 5, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
    • sam stone

Or Psilocybin

February 6, 2013 at 5:20 am |
    • fintastic

or LSD

February 6, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
  3. I wonder

So it's 'yes' to lugers and 'no' to lagers?!

In any case, don't mix lugers with lagers.

February 5, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
  4. End Religion

If there is a god worthy of praise then he condones the making of beer.

February 5, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
    • SHrUb....gOd wIlls iT.....

This. that is all.

February 5, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
  5. SAm Yaza

i don't like to drink hell i rarely do, but when i do its from my good friends home brew

February 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm |
  6. Charlie

They might not allow them to make their own beer, but the Bible Belt consumes more than it's fair share of Pabst Blue Ribbon!!

February 5, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

keystone

February 5, 2013 at 3:03 pm |
    • Locker

Pabst Blue Ribbon is famous. Here's the effect...

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV3UVD_Duks&w=640&h=390]

I'm white trash.. and I'm in trouble!

February 5, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
    • Akira

PBR. Lol!

February 5, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
    • fintastic

PBR is swill.

February 6, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
  7. Reasonably

If you can't trust me with a beer, how can you trust me with a wort cooler?

February 5, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
    • Pumbaa

It is harder to buy a bottle of whiskey where I live than an AR-15. I have to travel to another county to buy liquor but a local drug store sells firearms. Yes, I live in one of the two States mentioned. Stupid Churches promoting dry counties violate my civil rights!

February 5, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
  8. Reasonably

Too funny. I wonder what the dark ages must be like, but I live in a state that isn't stuck there.

February 5, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
    • lol??

Don't be a fwaidy cat. Try some dark ale.

February 5, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
    • Clyde

They didn't have a problem with beer during the so-called dark ages (the inaccurate term isn't used by historians anymore).

February 5, 2013 at 5:10 pm |
  9. lol??

Royalty are the bleeders. The heroes, AKA Herodians.

February 5, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
  10. The Truth

Wouldn't it be called a Brewhaha?...

February 5, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
    • sam

Today's top pun award goes to....

February 5, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
    • OTOH

February 5, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
  11. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Pray without ceasing in 2013
    Prayer changes things

February 5, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things", but your repeated assertions regarding atheism and prayer are unfounded. Using my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE), the expression that best matches the degree to which your repeated unfounded assertions may represent truths is: "EPIC FAIL". Perhaps the following book can help you cope with the problem of repeating unfounded assertions:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...

February 5, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • HeavenSent

hat, is it "DRS" or "CRS" that is afflicting you?

February 5, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
    • truth be told

HS, unclean lying carnal harlot

February 5, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
    • Reasonably

Please pray instead of voting, too. That will really help the rest of us out.

February 5, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
    • Jesus

February 5, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
    • Bucko

See a psychiatrist in 2013.
      A psychiatrist can help you with your delusions.

February 5, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
    • ElmerGantry

Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things stated once again and again and again over and over; Ad Nauseum,
      "Prayer changes things"

Earlier I challenged you to do something positive for humanity by praying to stop the international forced sëx trafficking of an estimatated 800,000 people.

To wit,

I see your prayers to stop the estimated 800,000 people who are forced into sëx traficking across international borders have not worked.
      Wait since prayer changes things that means you have not been praying to stop this scourge on humanity.

Why won't you pray to stop this repulsive human abuse?

Matthew 21:21:
      I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt,not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.
      _______________________________________________________________________
      [A true believer can ask a mountain to throw itself into the sea, and it will be done. LOL!]
      _______________________________________________________________________

Mark 9:23
      All things are possible to him who believes.

Luke 1:37:
      For with God nothing will be impossible.

John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

John 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

John 14:14 If ye shall ask anything in my name, I will do it.

Nothing could be simpler or clearer than Jesus' promises about prayer in the Bible.
      So there you have it, straight from Jesus in the New Testament in clear, simple, and unequivocal terms.

You are a sincere believer are you not?

So go ahead and do it. Pray to god to eliminate forced international sëx traficking, bacterial disease, genetic disorders, war, famine, etc.

In Matthew 21:21 Jesus states; I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt you can do anything including making a mountain throw itself into the sea. You do have faith and do not doubt, RIGHT? So do it.

Or perhaps your faith is not really up to snuff and you know that so you do not prat to end these human scourges but instead only come up with your usual wimpy statements and name calling.

February 5, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
    • PsiCop

Not true. It's religionism that's not healthy for children and other living things. Also, prayer has never changed anything. Not once. Ever.

February 6, 2013 at 7:23 am |
  12. truth be told

All so called atheists are liars, most like the rightfully dead hitchens are drunks as well. The greatest service any so called atheist could render mankind would be leave this earth as hitch did preferably at a much earlier age and before they have hurt another innocent person.

February 5, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "truth be told", but your repeated assertions regarding atheism are unfounded. Using my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE), the expression that best matches the degree to which your repeated unfounded assertions may represent truths is: "EPIC FAIL". Perhaps the following book can help you cope with the problem of repeating unfounded assertions:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...

February 5, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
    • truth be told

Thanks for adding proof to my statements hal.

February 5, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
    • truth be told

I meant to add: all so called sad bitches like myself are liars, most like the rightfully dead Jesus are delusional drunks as well. The greatest service any so called bitch could render mankind would be leave this earth as Jesus did preferably at a much earlier age and before they have fondled another child.

February 5, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
    • truth be told

In reality I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it's kind of fun trolling nonetheless.

February 5, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
  13. Southern Humanist

I'm so thankful for Alabama and Mississippi; they make Georgia look like an advanced culture.

February 5, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
    • Larry

I was going to say that about Utah.

February 5, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
  14. ME II

Doesn't banning beer violate some blasphemy law?

... well it should!

February 5, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
    • sam stone

the prohibition on weed seems to violate the freedom of religion guarantee

February 5, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
  15. HeavenSent

Jesus gave us everything on earth that is clean for our use in moderation. To abuse drink or drugs starts off as the sins of Pride and Greed (aka Gluttony) and allows the weakness of your carnal self to take over your spiritual self. You spiritual self is stronger than your carnal self .... but, atheists will argue this fact so that can hear their lips flap in the wind.

February 5, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
    • OTOH

HeavenSent,

You exhibit Pride and Gluttony in your "spiritual self". You think that you are Special in the eyes, heart, arms or whatever other corresponding human body part you can imagine, of the Almighty Creator of the Universe and you are not satisfied with this life, but crave MORE... and not only MORE, but a PERFECT, eternal MORE...

February 5, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
    • sam stone

HS: You appear to enjoy hearing your lips flap in the wind.

February 5, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
    • Akira

Somebody thinks about 'carnal' waaaaaaaay too much.

February 5, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
    • Sure. Right.

Drugs are clean, so as long as they are used in moderation, they are okay with god.

February 5, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
    • HeavenSent

As I said, atheist love to flap their lips. P.S. I listen if a righteous wo/man finds the need to correct me. Spiritual dead heads are just tumbling weeds bouncing through life. You folks are on the side of satan and therefore, stand for nothing. Sounds to me that the noise you are making is IRRELEVANT ... or is that an elephant? ROTFLOL.

February 5, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

Jesus gave nothing, he came empty hands, left empty hands and stop asking my camel to lick your ass.

February 5, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

You are very stupid.

February 5, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Akira, every true Christian knows about the carnal war happening on earth. That's why we tuned you airheads in.

February 5, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Mohammad A Dar, can you play a few tunes with those flapping lips of yours?

February 5, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
    • OTOH

HeavenSent,
      " Sounds to me that the noise you are making is IRRELEVANT ... or is that an elephant? ROTFLOL."

Are you blaspheming against Ganesh, the elephant-headed god of Hinduism? Tusk, tusk...

February 5, 2013 at 2:07 pm |
    • sam stone

HS is a pompous rooster svcking cvnt. Back on your knees, b1tch

February 5, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

@HS

HERE TRY THIS FOR YOUR SIZE MY HEAVEN SENT FRIEND:

CRUCIFIXION OR CRUCI – FICTION OF ABSURDITY OF FOLLOWERS OF MITHRA ISM, PAGAN SAVIOR ISM CALLED CHRISTIANITY.
      By book of Mithra savior ism, bible.
      fabrication called Jesus claimed to be, like personality of Hebrew teaching's, Jonah. if true,
      Jonah jumped off of a ship, HE WAS ALIVE,
      Jonah swollen by a fish, HE WAS ALIVE,
      While in the belly of fish, HE WAS ALIVE,
      spitted out by the fish, HE WAS ALIVE.

Fabrication Jesus arrested, HE WAS ALIVE,
      Put on a so called cross, HE WAS ALIVE
      while on a cross, HE WAS ALIVE,
      While in belly of tomb, HE WAS ALIVE.
      BY BOOK OF MITHRA ISM bible, JESUS NEVER DIED.

(DAR I HOPE YOU DON'T MIND)

February 5, 2013 at 2:12 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I'm writing Jesus' truth to all those that don't love and follow Him are dead wood cut off from the tree of life (Jesus) and thrown into the eternal flames.

February 5, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Mohammad A Dar, the story of Jonah in the Belly of the whale is the story of Jesus. You'd know this if you had eyes to see.

February 5, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
    • The Truth

Hey, guess what HS, my lips aren't moving at all, I must be some sort of magical ventriloquist or something because I am communicating with possibly thousands of people without my lips moving at all, amazing!! My power to communicate without moving my lips must be super magical just like Jesus!!

February 5, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
    • HeavenSent

sam stone (cough) Tommie Tom. You never fooled me with you multiple handles. Your viciousness come through crystal clear.

February 5, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The Truth, you should write the truth that you are boring thousands of readers on this site.

February 5, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • OTOH

HeavenSent,
      " thrown into the eternal flames."

Ah, but the lovely Phoenix has a plan to ensure his rebirth. He suffers himself to be burned and in his eagerness to be born again meets death with joy. Stricken with the heavenly flame the fragrant pile catches fire and burns the aged body. The moon in amaze checks her milk-white heifers and heaven halts his revolving spheres, while the pyre conceives the new life; Nature takes care that the deathless bird perish not, and calls upon the sun, mindful of his promise, to restore its immortal glory to the world.

Straightway the life spirit surges through his scattered limbs; the renovated blood floods his veins. The ashes show signs of life; they begin to move though there is none to move them, and feathers clothe the mass of cinders. He who was but now the sire comes forth from the pyre the son and successor; between life and life lay but that brief space wherein the pyre burned.

It is written.

February 5, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

@HS – fell on his own crap BWA HA HA HA HA

February 5, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

SWET ZOMBIE JEW ON A STICK!
      Is HeavenSent actually back? Is that crazy young earther that never actually answers a question really back?

February 5, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
    • sam stone

HS: I have only posted under the sam stone moniker. Still wrong, cvnt

February 5, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
    • The Truth

Much like the Patriot Act was far from Patriotic, HeavenSent's origins are far from divine...

I think the best word to describe HS's worldview is Putrid. Putrid and sad.

February 5, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

Word Jesus has no meaning.

February 5, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
    • truth be told

You are unclean, and a liar, just like the atheists.

February 5, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
    • sam

Holy crap, did I miss it?? Is it actually her??

February 5, 2013 at 2:44 pm |
    • Hallelujah

Heaven Sent is back which reminds me to clean out the cats litter box.

February 5, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Don't concern yourself hawaiiguest. I check in once in a blue, blue moon. I've had more than my share of the atheists nonsense to last me a life time reading the lies you believe. How you folks put one foot in front of the other is beyond my comprehension. All I know is Jesus' compassion and love for all is long suffering and allows you folks enough time to repent and ask Him for forgiveness of having all those lies satan whispers in your ear be stilled and thrown in the wastebasket where they belong.

February 5, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Hallelujah, you'd first have to acquire compassion to own a pet. You'd have to focus on someone else other than yourself and the atheist mantra has always been "me, me, me, it's all about me".

February 5, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
    • ¿¿lol

It's not just atheists that have a bone to pick. Those early apologists should have known people of all sorts would come questioning their excuses for their plagiarized stories. Oh, that's right – they could always blame it on Satan. But how? Oh, well let's say Satan's strike was pre-emptive – that's the ticket!

February 5, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Got to go now. Stayed longer than I needed to read your nonsense. You atheists can babble among your bramble selves.

February 5, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

Looks like there's absolutely no difference in HeavenSent. Still a useless, pious, self-righteous tool with nothing but contempt for all those who disagree with her narrow, bigoted, immoral worldview.

February 5, 2013 at 2:58 pm |
    • HeavenSent

¿¿lol, what the churches refuse to tell people is that satan's children are down on earth just as the children of God's are. Look up Kenites and find that they are the ones that ensured the fake religions were started around the world. That's why they have 95% of God's truth with 5% of satan's lies to ensure you have doubt. Worked, didn't it?

February 5, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
    • Hallelujah

Quite right my cats are not pets, they forage for road kill and if they find enough, I can use my food stamps for bootlegged beer. How are things at your trailer park? They are putting a fence around ours, not sure if it is to keep strangers out or us in.

February 5, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
    • HeavenSent

hawaiiguest, oh boo hoo, HeavenSent can't tell folks they are on the wrong path. Boo hoo. Get a grip will yah?

February 5, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

@HS your kind ain't welcome here.

February 5, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@HeavenSent

If you don't like being called on being an arrogant, immoral moron, then don't be an arrogant, immoral moron. That might be a bit too much for you to handle.

February 5, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Hallelujah, I'd talk (meaning pray) to Jesus about your predicament. He will change your world around. While you are talking with Him, humble yourself and ask Him for forgiveness and if you can get close to Him. He'll wipe your slate clean and you can start anew.

God Bless and Peace be with you and His Peace He leaves with us ... called the Holy Ghost (spirit).

February 5, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
    • HeavenSent

hawaiiguest, I've got to go. You need to pray to Jesus too. He'll put His peace in your hardened heart.

God Bless.

February 5, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

@Word Jesus has no meaning. Pray all you want.

February 5, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

oh and don't forget to bring your gun with you in Church, Jesus just okayed it.

February 5, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • Bet

Jeebus hasn't done a very good job changing HeavyStench into a loving, compassionate christian. I'd ask for my tithes back.

February 5, 2013 at 5:00 pm |
    • sam stone

HS thought she was praying to Jesus, but it turned out she was just giving some head to a guy named Hay-Zoos in her trailer park

February 5, 2013 at 5:31 pm |
    • sam stone

isn't that right, poo-tah?

February 5, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
    • John

I think he's "HeavenSent" to prove that God has a sense of humor .... or would if he existed :-)

February 5, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • fintastic

@lies be told............. baby jebus is crying!

February 6, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
    • fintastic

Heaven stench believes in the devil..... the red guy with pointy horns and a pitchfork...... ... I thought I saw him on a paint can..

Another religious nut-jog spewing garbage about mythology...

February 6, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
  16. Christianity is a form of SEVERE mental illness

Are we really surprised..its the South lol

February 5, 2013 at 1:16 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Oh, you rank on our southern brothers and sisters that practice human decency and kindness on a daily basis. And you wonder why Christians have your number?

February 5, 2013 at 2:05 pm |
    • truth be told

Human decency and kindness...by marrying their cousins, chewin' chaw, and running over minorities in their pickup trucks.

But stay for the sweet tea, HS.

February 5, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Lies being spread, you need to get a grip.

February 5, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
    • fintastic

Heaven stench... You believe in talking snakes, the devil man, ghosts, the great flood that never happened, and you tell someone else to get a grip on reality??? YOU are the one that needs to get a grip on REALITY.....

February 6, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
  17. Brother Maynard

Didn't Alabama, or maybe Mississippi ( tomayto / tomahto really ) just legislate the womans right to choose to be obsolete?

February 5, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
  18. Robert

I'm never surprised with this sort of stuff in Alabama and Mississippi.

February 5, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
  19. lol??

Sounds like a little education is in order about the socialists disguised as Christians in the WCTU. They knew how to make the mob rich.

February 5, 2013 at 12:42 pm |
  20. Age of Reason

IRISH PRIEST CLAIMS JESUS CHRIST NEVER EXISTED!

Father Thomas Brodie, a Dominican priest, claims in his forthcoming book "Beyond the Search for the Historical Jesus", that Jesus never existed! (as quoted by the Irish Sun 21 January 2013)

February 5, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
    • lol??

So he wants to fill the void?

February 5, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Typical phony bramble bush that is making a buck off of Jesus.

February 5, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
    • truth be told

HS: unclean, carnal harlot.

February 5, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
    • ¿¿lol

Perhaps a little more insight into the early apologists and their excuses for the copy-catting.

February 5, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
    • HeavenSent

¿¿lol, go back through the posts above. I wrote the true answer for you.

February 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm |