home
RSS
My take: A word to Christians - Be nice
February 9th, 2013

My take: A word to Christians - Be nice

Editor's note: John S. Dickerson is author of the book “The Great Evangelical Recession: 6 Factors that Will Crash the American Church ... and How to Prepare” and senior pastor of Cornerstone in Prescott, Arizona. Follow him on Facebook or Twitter @JohnSDickerson

By John S. Dickerson, Special to CNN

Last week a high-profile American writer and news personality asked me a painful question: “Hey pastor, can a Christian tweet hate?”

It was not a hypothetical question. He was asking because some of his 1.3 million Twitter followers claim to be “Christian,” and some of the meanest, most perverse hate-tweets he receives come from these self-proclaimed Christians.

We’ve all seen folks, Christian and otherwise, lose their cool in a Facebook face-off or in the comment section under a controversial news story. But as I scrolled through the “Christian” hate tweets to this news personality, I was baffled and ashamed by these so-called followers of Christ. One user describes himself not merely as Christian but as “sharing God’s message of Grace with everyone I encounter.” The messenger of Grace recently tweeted that he doesn’t merely hate this news personality, he despises and loathes him.

These are the moments when it’s embarrassing to be a Christian. I’m not embarrassed to believe the extravagant claims of Christianity: that Christ was born to a virgin, died for our sins, physically rose from the grave and is returning to rule the world. But I am embarrassed to be associated with some of the people who claim his name.

I have written in the past about the bad reputation that Christians have in America. Some argue that it comes from misrepresentation by the media. Others argue that “all who live godly will suffer persecution,” and that’s why we Christians have a poor reputation. Maybe there’s some truth to those claims, but we Christians have to acknowledge another reason why we are perceived as hateful: because many of our number are.

More and more, I see hateful Christians chalking up their disrepute to “persecution.” God tells us otherwise. In 1 Peter 4 we’re told, “If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed. …” And that’s the truth; sometimes we are insulted for proclaiming the good news of salvation in Christ. But listen to what follows: “If you suffer, however, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler.”

The Apostle Peter is more or less saying: If you suffer for sharing the good news of Christ, great, you’re blessed. But if you suffer just because you’re being a criminal or acting like an idiot, then don’t blame it on Christ.

Some 2,000 years ago, Peter knew so-called Christians would be criminals and “meddlers.” He knew some would claim, “Wow, I’m really suffering for Jesus,” when they are really just suffering for being jerks.

The word “meddler” means busybody: someone who inserts himself into matters that are not his own. Might this include some people involved in the Twitter, Facebook and “comments” showdowns of our day?

So yes, “all who live godly will suffer persecution.” But let’s not be jerks, get persecuted and then blame it on Christ. American Christianity, with its past position of cultural superiority, gave birth to some self-righteous and condescending so-called Christians. These folks may be culturally Christian, but they know little of Christ and his actual message of humility and repentance. I am convinced that, if Jesus Christ were here walking among us, he would have nothing to do with those who claim his name and consistently spew hate.

Theologians and academics will argue about that last sentence. Isn’t Jesus “a friend of sinners?” Yes. Doesn’t Jesus’ grace wash away the sins of those who trust in him? Yes. Wouldn’t that include the sin of "hate tweet"? Yes.

In seminaries and churches, we tend to engage in obscure questions about theology. For example, “Is it possible for someone to truly trust Christ and spend their entire life tweeting hate?”

Maybe so. But Jesus didn’t engage in such esoteric abstractions. He taught simple truth with clarity, authority and practicality. On controversial issues—“Are hate tweeters true Christians?”—I find myself drawn to the simple words of Scripture. Theologians will argue and debate, but God’s word is simple and clear.

“Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness.” (1 John 2:9,11)

“With the tongue we praise our Lord and father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.” (James 3:9,10)

“If anyone says, ‘I love God,’ yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.” (1 John 4:20)

Jesus put it this way in Matthew 12:34-36: “For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken.”

If we will give account for every careless word spoken, might we also give account for every careless comment typed or tweeted?

Christians aren’t the only ones hurling hateful blows on the Web. But we are the only ones who claim to follow the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. So let’s be nice.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of John S. Dickerson.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Uncategorized

soundoff (10,298 Responses)
  1. One one

"Jesus Christ and his Father our God."

Christians keep saying their religion is monotheistic but talk about it like there is more than one god. They have Jesus AND his father. Then there is Satan, demons, and angels.

The bottom line is, it's a primitive polytheistic blood cult.

February 10, 2013 at 10:16 am |
    • Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged

Primitive tribalism that evolved into glorified pep rallies for the winning "team".

February 10, 2013 at 10:18 am |
  2. ldavid69

I know the author means well ,but to believe that some unproven diety died for everyones sins, whatever sins there are, very subjective, is arrogant. I will never believe in any of this nonsense. I need proof, not my society telling me about these ancient tales that offer nothing.

February 10, 2013 at 10:16 am |
    • snowboarder

assuming you fall for the entire fallacy of original sin spoiling the universe and hereditary sin.

February 10, 2013 at 10:18 am |
    • Christian7

You will probably not be given proof, and then the judgement.

February 10, 2013 at 10:23 am |
    • XYZ

Idavid, if you like to know whether it's true, ask God to reveal Himself to you and He will. You will experience Him in ways you never thought possible. Unfortunately Christians are all too often a poor reflection of what they were meant to be, but God will not disappoint

February 10, 2013 at 10:28 am |
    • snowboarder

xyz, the secred decoder ring fallacy. always good for a laugh.

February 10, 2013 at 10:29 am |
  3. OrganicManLives_N_anOraganicUNiverSE

Today's Christians are the opposite of Jesus. Firstly, as a life long researcher of religion myself; Jesus never intended to start a cult, and if he did they they would need to follow his ministry of "Esoteric" christianity ... not the EXOteric version they now practice. It's the complete opposite and why so many people shy away from an empty message. 24/7 Drive-by forgiveness, without any work leading to personal change would have made Jesus a sad man. He gave his life so that others may learn, not SIT and SPIT at others. Constantine tore the original bible into various parts and sent them to different corners of the earth for a reason. It was too powerful to know the truth of ESOTERIC work. Good luck christians !

February 10, 2013 at 10:13 am |
    • OrganicManLives_N_anOraganicUNiverSE

I forgot to tell you, I love you and forgive you even though you don't know what it is you do.

February 10, 2013 at 10:15 am |
    • lolwut

you assume that it wasn't all made up years after it was supposed to happen. What other information would be taken so seriously without a shred of evidence.

February 10, 2013 at 10:15 am |
    • Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged

Posting sanctimoniously is a sin. ;)

February 10, 2013 at 10:16 am |
    • OrganicManLives_N_anOraganicUNiverSE

dead sea scrolls, the nag hammadi library, the bible-sinaiticus, and writings of the same period. more is still being unearthed today. I think what you refer to is the bedtime story of Jesus, where he is the son of god who came to give his blood for your sins.... ha ha, that my friend is the bed-time story that was fabricated. The Greeks change the word Metanoia to "REPENT" not the original ..."CHANGE"... which makes total sense.

February 10, 2013 at 10:26 am |
  4. Surthurfurd

Richard: it did not say humans were created to be like God looking in the mirror. It means humans were created from God's will the way he wanted them to be. BTW: I am an agnostic.

February 10, 2013 at 10:13 am |
    • Richard Cranium

That is an interpretation. Another is that we are made in gods image....god is invisible and has no image.

February 10, 2013 at 10:15 am |
  5. WW

Yes, Christians are not good Christians anymore.

February 10, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • Richard Cranium

When were they?

February 10, 2013 at 10:13 am |
    • Christian7

Only God is good.

February 10, 2013 at 10:23 am |
    • GWH

when they were burning people alive for being heretics of course.

February 10, 2013 at 10:28 am |
    • wo

I was a Xtian until I know who the truth. These preachers and others wear a perpetual pasted on wide smile and in reality it is all hate of others who are not xtians. They always LOVE to say they love the sinners but not the sins- utterly not true. A xtian brother can hate a not so xtian sibling so much that others outside the family, other xtians are much better.

Now I worship my toad- it 's simpler

February 10, 2013 at 10:29 am |
  6. Skorpio

Islamic clerics, as opposed to any other religious order, are the most perverse, violent, intolerant, irrational and discriminatory people and they use any means TV, radio, internet, etc. to show it. They are the main instigators of all evil.

February 10, 2013 at 10:09 am |
    • snowboarder

it is no coincidence that the most devoutly religious places on this planet are also the least educated.

February 10, 2013 at 10:12 am |
    • lolwut

Those crazy christians on tv like pat robertson, and that wacko radio guy who got those people to think that the end of the world was coming are obviously upstanding christians citizens. If jesus was real I bet he would be so proud.

Looking at the world with your blinders on is what makes the sheeple so dangerous.

February 10, 2013 at 10:13 am |
    • Surthurfurd

Why are you acting like those you condemn?

February 10, 2013 at 10:14 am |
    • lolwut

I'm a complete idiot, too.

February 10, 2013 at 10:15 am |
  7. snowboarder

i had the flu recently i found myself watching tv for long stretches while laying in bed. i have to admit that i was shocked at the religious programs selling "no evil oil" and "prayer cloths", not to mention the whole prosperity church nonsense.

what people are fooled by these charlatans?

February 10, 2013 at 10:09 am |
    • Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged

...suckers still buy snake oil :)

February 10, 2013 at 10:15 am |
    • OrganicManLives_N_anOraganicUNiverSE

"Judge not lest ye be judged"... that's all you do?! LMAO@U

February 10, 2013 at 10:32 am |
  8. inspiration

The guy should be emabarressed for believing religious nonsense!

February 10, 2013 at 10:09 am |
  9. Michael

I think those who are religious and those who are not religious need to grow up, and learn how to actually be human for a change, as someone who is gay and who also happens to be a wiccan ( which isn't a religion by the way) I am constantly being judged, Christians say I am going to hell, while Atheists say I am crazy, seriously, the problem isn't with Religion or a lack there of, it is with this self proclaimed need to always be right, that is why we have so many problems in the world,as a wiccan but more importantly as a human I am taught how to respect and love, myself, others and all of life, for what is our mere purpose in life if not that, it surely is not to hate or judge others, what kind of life is that, who would really want to live that life, if that was applied to every religion and every atheist this world would be a much happier place.

February 10, 2013 at 10:07 am |
    • snowboarder

Wicca (English pronunciation: /ˈwɪkə/) is a modern pagan religion focused around witchcraft.

seriously? and i thought the religious were nuts.

February 10, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • inspiration

Religion or no religion, people are selfish morons and will remain so. We have overpopulated the Earth, exhausted our resources, and polluted everything. The global warming is a one of the results, and it will eventually kill us all.

February 10, 2013 at 10:12 am |
    • Michael

Snowboarder- not all wiccans believe it to be a religion, technically I am a witch not a wiccan, and witches don't think of there beliefs as religious, to me its more of a way of life.

February 10, 2013 at 10:15 am |
    • Michael

Oh and snowboarder thank you for proving my point exactly, Inspiration I actually agree its sad but its true, I have tried to enlighten a few people, but all in all people are too stuck in there selfish narrow minded ways.

February 10, 2013 at 10:19 am |
    • snowboarder

mike, whether you believe your religion is a religion or not is immaterial. wiccan is just a new-agey religion.

i can understand how traditional religions that hold their adherents by coercion and fear still thrive, but i don't understand how people can be fooled by new religions such as wiccan or mormonism.

February 10, 2013 at 10:26 am |
    • Michael

You obviously are an atheist right so you believe in science, that is a belief, why are you so quick to judge a group of people who have by far, even if it is a religion has done the least amount of persecution and violence out of all religions,that alone speaks volumes, you act no better than the religious fundamentalists, Being a witch not just for me but for many others is not a religion, and it is not some new agey belief I was fed ,that's just something that was fed to you, its a lot more than that, if you took the time to actually research what it really is than maybe you would understand it more, but I guess people are afraid of what they don't understand.

February 10, 2013 at 10:38 am |
    • Michael

Also paganism is not a new religion btw paganism existed long before man created religion, it is just now starting to reemerge, also you say you don't understand why beliefs like mine still thrive well its simple because my beliefs don't believe in fear or hate, or coercion, I guess that's why most people don't understand it.

February 10, 2013 at 10:47 am |
    • snowboarder

mike, lol afraid? now you're projecting.

of course you make the common mistake of most religious stating that reliance on science is a "belief". no one places faith in science. unlike the unearned pedestal that religion has been placed upon, science is constantly challenged. equating it to "belief" is the refuge of the ignorant.

February 10, 2013 at 10:48 am |
    • Michael

What is your issue dude I have no beef with you, why are you so fixated on me and my beliefs, when there are numerous others who believe in hate and violence, I don't believe in either yet you judge me um okay that's so rational of you, are you really that insecure that you have to prove me wrong or something, awe poor you and your ego, look I don't judge you for you lack of beliefs, all I ask is that you don't judge me for mine, and yes you are afraid, if you weren't than you would have never replied to my comment in the first place, and you wouldn't have replied with such hostility and anger.

February 10, 2013 at 10:57 am |
    • Michael

Oh and you talk about ignorance kettle meet black, you judge a whole group of people , even though you know nothing about them , you just assume that you do, people like you are the reason why this world is so f ed up.

February 10, 2013 at 11:17 am |
    • Craig Chilton

TO Michael —

YOU wrote —

“Technically I am a witch not a Wiccan, and witches don't think of their beliefs as religious. To me, its more of a way of life.”

Some of the “Christians” who were living 375 years ago in that which today is Massachusetts would have been gleefully toasting marshmallows over you. And today we have an infestation of the hateful and bigoted, pseudo-Christian RRR Cultists. I don’t think our situation as a nation has improved a whole lot over the last 4 centuries.

April 12, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
    • Craig Chilton

TO Michael —

YOU wrote —

“Look, I don't judge you for your lack of beliefs. All I ask is that you don't judge me for mine. "

Ah! BINGO!! In those two short sentences, you just cut to the CORE of one of the two greatest afflictions of humanity. One of those is breed. And the other is the one that you just so aptly pinpointed in just 20 or so words — BUSYBODYISM. If *only* the world could be CURED of that mental aberration overnight, perhaps 90% of the world’s problems would no longer exist by sunrise!

April 12, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
    • Craig Chilton

TO Michael —

TYPO correction to last post was necessary. (The word, "greed," below, was misspelled "breed" in the previous post. (And obviously, breeding is necessary, or there would be NO human race. :) )

YOU wrote —

Ah! BINGO!! In those two short sentences, you just cut to the CORE of one of the two greatest afflictions of humanity. One of those is greed. And the other is the one that you just so aptly pinpointed in just 20 or so words — BUSYBODYISM. If *only* the world could be CURED of that mental aberration overnight, perhaps 90% of the world’s problems would no longer exist by sunrise!

April 12, 2013 at 4:58 pm |
  10. Jay in Florida

I like Christ... I just don't like Christians - Mohandas Gandhi

February 10, 2013 at 10:07 am |
    • inspiration

I don't like Gandhi. He was a hypocrite.

February 10, 2013 at 10:13 am |
    • Richard Cranium

Ghandi and christ never met.

February 10, 2013 at 10:17 am |
    • Daniel in FL

Thank you so much for posting what Ghandi said. I could never remember the exact phrase. I think there is so much focus
      on the supposed supernatural dogma that the teachings of Jesus are completely ignored. Ghandi was an example of what it means to be a Christian- and how early Christians behaved- they were wiling to die for truth just as Jesus died for truth.

February 10, 2013 at 10:19 am |
    • OrganicManLives_N_anOraganicUNiverSE

nothing smells more like self righteousness ...then to call others hypocrites.

February 10, 2013 at 10:20 am |
    • Richard Cranium

Daniel in FL
      You are aware that Ghandi was not christian, right?...He was Hindi, and it is a bit insulting to say he is an example of christians.

Also, jesus did not die for truth, and christians do not die for truth, in this context. You do not know it is truth, and even whether or not christ even existed is still debated. THAT is the truth. Learn the difference between truth and what you believe is the truth.

February 10, 2013 at 11:29 am |
  11. Surthurfurd

Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

There are far too many Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc... who create God in their own image. They claim God supports their will.

February 10, 2013 at 10:07 am |
    • Richard Cranium

If I was created in gods image, why aren't I invisible?

February 10, 2013 at 10:10 am |
    • Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged

What about the poor Neanderthals? Why did god leave them out? :( Talk about a bigoted god.

February 10, 2013 at 10:12 am |
    • Will

Stop beating your kids.

February 10, 2013 at 10:15 am |
    • Center Of The Universe

The Annunaki created man.
      Yours is a slave race.
      You think that intelligent beings from other worlds are gods
      because you where so primitive.

The human race has amnesia.
      Much of your past has been lost, and the rest of it
      has been hidden from you.

You are not ready for the truth.
      Noahs ark.
      DNA library.

The great flood.
      End of the ice age.

Adam & Eve.
      First two "humans" created from Alien/Simian DNA splicing.

This in no way solves your "God" question.
      It simply states the fact that you have been worshipping a higher intelligence.
      The species called "Man" is arrogant.

You want to know what "God" is ?
      Its called the natural universe.

Now go back to your book, and worship that old "white" man
      sitting on his throne, answering all of your prayers,
      while tossing thunderbolts accross the furmament.

You have much to learn.

February 10, 2013 at 2:58 pm |
  12. muslim2012

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRKD4r78FM&w=640&h=390]

February 10, 2013 at 10:07 am |
    • Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged

Aww, this little christian is getting his racism fix on Sunday morning.

February 10, 2013 at 10:09 am |
  13. Will

Christian don't understand why they are hated;. Not even this guy. So let me be the first to explain it to you in little tiny simple words: free will. Most people don't want to be forced into believing your crap. This starts with the children of so-called Christians. They see the BS, and like children are wont to do, tell their parents that they see the BS. This causes the parents to react with violence. If I had a nickel for every Christian parent who beat his kid into believing, I'd be sitting on a mountain of millions. Step 1 into rehabilitating your religion: stop beating your kids. Yes, your ranks would fall by 90%, but at least you'd be genuinely following the teachings of Christ and would be doing so with a clean conscience. Although, one of the sad things is that the conscience of a child-abusing Christian parent typically IS clean. No way do they believe they're doing wrong. They're too sick...

February 10, 2013 at 10:06 am |
    • Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged

What a bummer to live in a free country, but be shackled by religious dogma. :(

February 10, 2013 at 10:08 am |
    • Surthurfurd

You seem to be condemning people for doing what you are doing. Tribal thinking is defeating.

February 10, 2013 at 10:08 am |
    • Will

I do not beat my kids like you do...

February 10, 2013 at 10:11 am |
  14. SixDegrees

The god worshiped by evangelical fundamentalist christians carries a pitchfork, if you believe what his followers say.

February 10, 2013 at 10:05 am |
  15. kamanakapu

The jewish culture only goes back about 8 thousand years. When india crashed into asia about 65 million years ago there were thousands of indians on the continent of india and thousands of asians on the landmass of asia. This means that billions of people had lived and died before the jews created their god, the garden of eden, and adam and eve.

February 10, 2013 at 10:04 am |
    • snowboarder

i don't think humans had evolved yet 65 million years ago. you might want to start again.

February 10, 2013 at 10:05 am |
    • SixDegrees

Er – the modern human species arose roughly 1 million years ago, at most. Pretty much everything you claim and everything derived from it is wrong.

February 10, 2013 at 10:07 am |
    • Will

There were no human 65 million years ago you twit. There were dinosaurs though....

February 10, 2013 at 10:08 am |
    • SImran

While you are wrong with your timeline (actually pretty messed up to be honest), the following depicts the dilemma of the Sumerians and also the Indians when Christian God was creating the universe. It is a really good read:

Members of the earth's earliest known civilization, the Sumerians, looked on in shock and confusion some 6,000 years ago as God, the Lord Almighty, created Heaven and Earth.

According to recently excavated clay tablets inscribed with cuneiform script, thousands of Sumerians—the first humans to establish systems of writing, agriculture, and government—were working on their sophisticated irrigation systems when the Father of All Creation reached down from the ether and blew the divine spirit of life into their thriving civilization.

"I do not understand," reads an ancient line of pictographs depicting the sun, the moon, water, and a Sumerian who appears to be scratching his head. "A booming voice is saying, 'Let there be light,' but there is already light. It is saying, 'Let the earth bring forth grass,' but I am already standing on grass."

"Everything is here already," the pictograph continues. "We do not need more stars."

Historians believe that, immediately following the biblical event, Sumerian witnesses returned to the city of Eridu, a bustling metropolis built 1,500 years before God called for the appearance of dry land, to discuss the new development. According to records, Sumerian farmers, priests, and civic administrators were not only befuddled, but also took issue with the face of God moving across the water, saying that He scared away those who were traveling to Mesopotamia to participate in their vast and intricate trade system.

Moreover, the Sumerians were taken aback by the creation of the same animals and herb-yielding seeds that they had been domesticating and cultivating for hundreds of generations.

"The Sumerian people must have found God's making of heaven and earth in the middle of their well-established society to be more of an annoyance than anything else," said Paul Helund, ancient history professor at Cornell University. "If what the pictographs indicate are true, His loud voice interrupted their ancient prayer rituals for an entire week."

According to the cuneiform tablets, Sumerians found God's most puzzling act to be the creation from dust of the first two human beings.

"These two people made in his image do not know how to communicate, lack skills in both mathematics and farming, and have the intellectual capacity of an infant," one Sumerian philosopher wrote. "They must be the creation of a complete idiot."

February 10, 2013 at 10:14 am |
  16. vortex1964

I agree with the authors comments and I am a Christian. The word of God says not all that say,"
    Mat 7:21 "Not every one who says to me, 'Master, Master,' will enter the Kingdom of the Heavens, but only those who are obedient to my Father who is in Heaven.
    Mat 7:22 Many will say to me on that day, "'Master, Master, have we not prophesied in Thy name, and in Thy name expelled demons, and in Thy name performed many mighty works?'
    Mat 7:23 "And then I will tell them plainly, "'I never knew you: begone from me, you doers of wickedness."

Obedience to the teachings of our Lord and Savior are required to enter into his kingdom. We can not determine anyone's salvation but we can be fruit inspectors. The bible says," by their works you will Know them." Our Lord suffered and he did not revile those that persecuted him. He did not exercise his might and power which was his right. He submitted to the death on the cross. He left us an example of a servant. God does not want us to be punching bags but he did not do or say evil because those around him were evil.

Allot of people claim to be something, when in fact their lives reflect a different reality,. This goes for the world in general, we live in a fallen world.

I am sorry that people are not able to experience the Love of God. My desire is that you come to an intimate knowledge of Jesus Christ and his Father our God.

February 10, 2013 at 10:04 am |
    • Surthurfurd

It is frustrating when people claim to be Christians yet feel no requirement to follow the words of Jesus.

February 10, 2013 at 10:05 am |
    • Answer

Funny bs.

February 10, 2013 at 10:05 am |
    • Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged

Obedience to his word would be to stop making intolerant, self-righteous, sanctimonious rants. Are you presuming to be God yourself? Isn't that blasphemy? ;)

February 10, 2013 at 10:06 am |
    • Will

Hey a real Christian. Awesome. Do you beat your kids a lot or just a little?

February 10, 2013 at 10:09 am |
    • Mark

What if, as an atheist, I discover I've inadvertently followed the morals exactly as set forth by your imaginary friend? Do I get to go to "his kingdom"? Do I have to? Should I? Why can't I just follow those morals, and not compromise my personal integrity by believing some weirdo-talk?

February 10, 2013 at 10:12 am |
  17. Stacey L. Erickson

If you want to have any peace in your day at all, please stop reading the comments. Now.

February 10, 2013 at 10:03 am |
    • Vince

Great advice...I read your comment, decided not to go any further...Have a BLESSED Week!

February 10, 2013 at 10:09 am |
    • patricia pratt

AMEN!!!!

February 10, 2013 at 10:17 am |
  18. chuckly

what does it say in this day and age when I as a christian am more offended my most 'Christians' replies and comments on websites like this or even facebook or twitter, then I am with non-christians posts? Shouldn't it be the opposite?

February 10, 2013 at 10:03 am |
  19. rjo3491

Today's Right Wing Christians are modern day Pharisees. My guess is they'll be surprised when God doesn't smile on them.

February 10, 2013 at 10:02 am |
    • Surthurfurd

Well noted. I seem to recall Jesus getting in lots of trouble for getting into a rage over a temple used to make wealth for people.

February 10, 2013 at 10:04 am |
    • bannister

The problem is, it's hard to define "right wing" – is someone who believes in small, limited government automatically a "right winger" – if so, then I'm a right winger..

February 10, 2013 at 10:10 am |
    • rjo3491

Actually Surth, that's not where I was going. I was thinking more along the lines of self righteousness. Consider the story of the Pharisee at the temple thanking god for not making him a sinner like the balance of the, "commoners". I see much of that in message board comments today. The Right Wing loons on Yahoo are the best!

February 10, 2013 at 10:10 am |
    • vortex1964

I would argue that we be fruit inspectors and not judge because if we judge we might be judged in the same measure we use. God sees the heart of men and only he can judge rightly. The comment that conservative right wing Christians are Pharisees, is incorrect. Being a conservative Christian myself, I can tell you my aim in life is to demonstrate the Love of God because God is love. You can not compromise the truth of salvation and Gods love nor his wrath. There is wrath and it is coming unto the children of disobedience. Its just as true as Gods love. We will all stand before the creator and every knee will bow and tongue confess Jesus is Lord.

February 10, 2013 at 10:10 am |
    • Answer

@vortex1964

Yep you bow and cluck like a chicken alright.

February 10, 2013 at 10:12 am |

****
      bannister

Never before in the history of America has there been 350 BILLION people living in this country.
      Smaller government is just a Republican code word for "No government".

You want clean water to drink ?
      Clean air to breath ?
      Want your beef and drugs tested for safety ?
      Safe roads and schools ?

Republicans scream smaller government because they dont want "REGULATION".
      Let the banks and the oil companys run rampant over you.
      More money for wars, less money for education.

You swallowed that BS.

February 10, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
  20. Surthurfurd

How dare another Christian suggest that Christians should follow Jesus and not political and selfish dogma!

February 10, 2013 at 10:01 am |