home
RSS
My Take: What's next for President Obama's 'pastor-in-chief'
February 14th, 2013

My Take: What's next for President Obama's 'pastor-in-chief'

Editor’s note: Joshua DuBois served as director of President Obama’s Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships from 2008 until he stepped down last week.

By Joshua DuBois, Special to CNN

I first heard the name Barack Obama in the summer of 2004 over a half-pound burger and fries on Capitol Hill. I was putting in long hours as a legislative intern for a wily member of Congress between two years of graduate school at Princeton, where I was studying public policy. The pay was meager - enough for gas for my beat-up Chevy Blazer and a tiny Craigslist apartment with two guys and a cat. But it was good to be in Washington and have a few months to wrestle with what in the world I was going to do with the rest of my life.

But by the time my internship was ending in late July, I wasn’t any closer to figuring things out. I knew I loved Christ - I was an associate pastor at a small Pentecostal church back home - and wanted my career to be tied to my faith. I also knew I wanted to help people who were struggling; my grandmother was active in the civil rights movement, and my parents made sure that working for justice and mercy was in my bones. And finally, I knew that I had some serious student loans to pay back. The hard part was figuring out how to balance all three.

Late one day, July 27 to be exact, I walked a couple of blocks to my favorite neighborhood dive, a local spot named the Hawk 'n' Dove. There was always a happy hour special going on at the Hawk, and they showed more Red Sox games than Yankees - which, since I'm a Sox fan, was a good thing in my book.

I settled in to enjoy my burger when the place got quiet on me - and the Hawk 'n' Dove was never quiet. A man was on television, an Illinois state senator named Barack Obama. And this guy was giving quite a speech.

I put my food down and listened. The state senator touched on many themes I loved - themes of justice, of fighting for the vulnerable and sick, of deep love for my country. And then he said, almost out of nowhere: “The pundits, the pundits like to slice and dice our country into red states and blue states: red states for Republicans, blue states for Democrats. But I've got news for them, too. We worship an awesome God in the blue states, and we don't like federal agents poking around our libraries in the red states. We coach Little League in the blue states and, yes, we've got some gay friends in the red states. … We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America."

"We worship an awesome God."

That line hit me in the gut. This young state senator had reminded me of the songs I had sung at Bible camps growing up, arms upraised: “Our God Is An Awesome God.” He reminded me of long nights, struggles with homelessness and poverty and desperation that I had experienced over the years, and the power of pure worship to shout down life’s loudest dins. He reminded me that the grace I had felt since I became a Christian - felt so fully and so purely - was not relegated to one party or another, to a red state or a blue state, but instead was available to all who sought it. “We worship an awesome God in the blue states.”

I had to work for this guy.

And so, with no inside connections, I set about doing just that. Fortunately for me, Obama and the people around him - folks like Pete Rouse, Valerie Jarrett, Denis McDonough, Melody Barnes, Michael Strautmanis, and Chris Lu - valued results more than reputation, and saw the need to engage people of faith in the public square. So they took a shot on me. I am grateful they did, because it has been an amazing ride ever since.

As U.S. Sen. Obama’s adviser on faith issues on Capitol Hill, as candidate Obama’s religious affairs director on his 2008 campaign, and as President Obama’s director of the White House faith-based initiative, I have had the honor of seeing firsthand the life and heart of a president who cares deeply about his country, his family and his God, in times of prayer, conversation and diligent work. I’ve also been able to manage the White House faith-based office, leading a phenomenal team that expanded partnerships with faith-based and nonprofit groups around the country.

Over the last four years, we’ve dealt with our fair share of challenging issues, and played a role in some of the country’s most contentious debates. But more than anything, we’ve been able to marshal and amplify the extraordinary kindness of millions of Americans: religious and secular groups who are putting it on the line every day, expanding opportunity and dignity to those who need help most.

After this amazing journey, I am leaving the White House to serve in a few new ways.

First, with my friends at HarperOne, I am writing a book of daily devotionals based on the meditations I send Obama each morning. I’m honored that the president has said these reflections have been helpful to him, and excited to share a selection of these thoughts with all kinds of leaders around the country.

Second, with Michael Wear, the 2012 Obama campaign religious affairs director, and a few other dear friends, we will soon launch a new social enterprise, Values Partnerships. Values Partnerships will help public, private and nonprofit organizations bring to scale powerful, measurable partnerships with the faith community that solve big challenges, from improving public health to expanding financial literacy to reducing recidivism. We’ll also help leaders in the church and faith-based nonprofits navigate the public square around them, based on our experiences over the years.

Finally, I’m looking forward to teaching, speaking and writing about life at the intersection of religion and politics, particularly focusing on how believers can live their faith powerfully in the world. Through trial and error, I have a few lessons to share on that point, and many still to learn.

Words can’t express the gratitude I feel for a president and first lady who love so deeply and express that love through service, and for a team of current and former officials who have embraced the importance of people of faith in American life.

And as a committed African-American Pentecostal, I never thought I could become such dear friends with so many in the faith community - Christians and Muslims, Hindus and Jews, conservatives and liberals, Republicans and Democrats - who care first about God, and second about their neighbors, and seek to live this care out into the world. I would hope to honor those friendships, continue to serve this good president, and let my life and work be a song of worship in the exciting days ahead.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Barack Obama • Belief

1. RoyHill

EEK! Obama being the "Pastor in chief" .... I imagine somebody just spray painting a big cross on the chest and pounding on the bible so hard that the other side of the world feels it in terms of quakes.

October 8, 2013 at 4:25 pm |
  2. McShannon

The rich get richer they harbor their wealth in foreign ports not wanting to share their gains. Others come pleading to taste our liberty wanting a chance to be an American and without hesitation they drive the nails often die in military combat and do the lowly labor no one else will do. We deny them citizenship saying they do not benefit us. I think about what the bible says Luke 12:48 Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more. Then how is it that sharing for those with much in a country more blessed than any on earth is no longer a priority. Our Federal legislative body while requiring that a large percentage of all foreign aid packages must be spent purchasing American arms (billions and billions of dollars) in fact subsidizes the majority of patrons of John Boehner’s family owned bar via Lockheed Martin. This Majority Speaker of the House wants to punish education with lower budgets and target without second thought those that need food stamps because they can’t survive on our current minimum wage. Lobbyists have twisted the priorities of America and continue to do so.

September 24, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
  3. Curry

I'm glad he Mr. Obama found a job for Mr. DuBois, he can't seem to do it for anyone else.

September 20, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
  4. Elliott Carlin

"God bless Planned Parenthood"-President Barack Obama

Wonder what the article writer would think now of Barry's commitment to faith and family.

What utter nonsense.

August 31, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
  5. Choir Loft

Mr. DuBois isn't the first man of the cloth to be deceived by POTUS. Billy Graham thought tricky Dick Nixon was an honest man. It is not a good idea for a devout Christian to associate with the most corrupt political office on the planet. It does not serve an honest reputation well.
    and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

August 29, 2013 at 11:39 am |
    • Richard Cranium

It is also not good for a politician to be seen in the presense of religious "leaders" since all religions are false, and most religious organizations are corrupt.

August 29, 2013 at 11:43 am |
      • Elliott Carlin

You are correctly named

August 31, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
  6. silvertop

Joshua said he had become dear friends with people of the faith community, Muslims, Hindus, Christians, democrats, conservatives, and he wrote daily devotion for the president, and he saw the love of the first couple. How come we don't see what he sees in the president? Every time he speaks, he twists facts (latest is "phony scandals"), blames others, pitches one class against another, one race against others. I would like to see that love oozing out a little bit. He cares about the poor, good for him, but what programs does he have in that area other than food stamps and monetary assistance. By saying that he is fighting for the middle class, the other class is made to look like enemies. Love?

July 27, 2013 at 9:45 am |
  7. Just a guy

Josh – if you are a Christian – how can you support this president on his social issues – he is in bed with the Godless – you are known by the company you keep – what will you say to God when he asks you why you supported an abortionist – are you going to quote Roe v Wade to Him, lecture Him on a woman's right to chose? I'd like to know what you think.

July 22, 2013 at 9:08 pm |
    • Donald Duck

Your "god" is a figment of imagination, about exactly as real as I am.

(and you have no soul, that was fiction too, sorry!)

Death is coming

September 5, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
  8. Greg

Just wondering...does Mr. Obama do his daily devotional BEFORE or AFTER he does his kill list?

July 3, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
  9. McShannon

I always appreciate a good Sunday school lesson but often I’m troubled by what is not said. Job a righteous man examined his life and did not think he was wanting by any reasonable expectation. Sometimes we compare today with the time of Hitler and personally I have no trouble with that. I have a different account of that period and why the Jews were persecuted which affects my point of view as to who fits in today’s scheme of legislative equality. A great depression existed in Germany before Hitler gained power and the bourgeois as the Jews in Germany were noted to be at that time were aloof and unconcerned that fellow Germans were starving and jobless and they did not pursue any measures to lessen suffering of their countrymen. They flaunted their wealth with gold chains, cashmere clothes, art and homes far more valuable than the average German of that day. In their thinking at that time if the poor would just get jobs and work like Jews there would be no poor or hungry and therefore excused themselves from any endeavor to assist those in need saying, why should we give them money that we earned with our hard work and well we know how that worked out. We are not in a depression of the magnitude of Hitler’s rising yet I can hear those who say that we have no responsibility to allow the Hispanics citizenship who are the cogs in the wheels of construction in the USA today. They say the poor should get jobs and stop asking for handouts, though training and education funds are being cut so that wealthier Americans don’t have to pay more taxes. The rights of gay and lesbian are brought up constantly in Sunday school and Sunday sermon and while I cringe and despise that this group is so oriented I will not be part of or agree with laws that deny them equal access afforded you and me. Should we pass a law that gays and lesbians can’t work in NC? Some would say yes and verify that indeed we are not only Baptist but also shining hypocrites. A new arrival in heaven was given a tour by St. Peter who we should all deny because there are no saints are there? Getting on with the tour St. Peter points out a pristine group of housing and told the newcomer we must be especially quiet passing here as this section is all Baptist and “they think that they are the only ones here”.

July 1, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
  10. Elliott Carlin

"Half-pound burger and fries...."

Good thing he wasn't meeting Michelle that day-he'd a gotten a whuppin' from da lady herself.

"Bring on the collards!"

June 9, 2013 at 8:26 am |
  11. lamb of dog

First love an imaginary sky fairy. Second love your neighbor.
    Sick

May 6, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
  12. Free Man in the Republic of Texas

What's NEXT for OBAMA ???

HELL for ALL of eternity.

That's what happens when one "evolves"
    to be SMARTER than God Himself.

“But you said in your heart,

‘I will ascend to heaven;
    I will raise my throne above the stars of God,
    And I will sit on the mount of assembly
    In the recesses of the north.
    ‘I will ascend above the heights of the clouds;

I will make myself like the Most High.’

“Nevertheless you will be thrust down to Sheol,
    To the recesses of the pit.
    Isaiah 14:13-15

May 5, 2013 at 9:02 pm |
    • Science

Gravity is not up for debate ! ............E = mc2..........(U–Pb).................two math formulas..........that do not lie or sin !!!..........

Free speech helps educate the masses................POLITICIANS too !

Where do morals come from?

By Kelly Murray, CNN

BY the way ...................Splat goes a fairy in the sky !...............bye bye tinker bell !

Einstein's Gravity Theory Passes Toughest Test Yet

Apr. 25, 2013 — A strange stellar pair nearly 7,000 light-years from Earth has provided physicists with a unique cosmic laboratory for studying the nature of gravity. The extremely strong gravity of a massive neutron star in orbit with a companion white dwarf star puts competing theories of gravity to a test more stringent than any available before

Hey James Madison................religion has none it looks like.............with the comments on this blog.

The Big question is ETHICS ! does religion have any ?

The Ethics of Resurrecting Extinct Species

Apr. 8, 2013 — At some point, scientists may be able to bring back extinct animals, and perhaps early humans, raising questions of ethics and environmental disruption.

April 30, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |

May 1, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |

Dinosaur Egg Study Supports Evolutionary Link Between Birds and Dinosaurs: How Troodon Likely Hatched Its Young

And NO ANGELS the pope KICKED them OFF the TEAM last year !

From Soup to Cells—the Origin of Life

the wrong path is Adam and Eve !

Human Y Chromosome Much Older Than Previously Thought

Mar. 4, 2013 — The discovery and analysis of an extremely rare African American Y chromosome pushes back the time of the most recent common ancestor for the Y chromosome lineage tree to 338,000 years ago. This time predates the age of the oldest known anatomically modern human fossils.

No god(s) needed or required to graduate from public schools in the US

Remember : Adam had to POKE himself hard with his OWN BONE to create Eve.

No god(s) needed................... Old. DNA works..................also catches crooks !

Ancient DNA Reveals Europe's Dynamic Genetic History

Apr. 23, 2013 — Ancient DNA recovered from a series of skeletons in central Germany up to 7,500 years old has been used to reconstruct the first detailed genetic history of modern Europe.

Ca-nabis and Cannabinoids (PDQ®) – National Cancer Insti-tute

Mar 21, 2013 – [1,2] These plant-derived compounds may be referred to as phytocannabinoids. ... have a protective effect against the development of certain types of tumors. ... In lung cancer cell lines, CBD upregulated ICAM-1, leading to ...

Good stuff !

The fact...............the earth is to old for this nonsemse ! Time to EVOLVE !

Ancient Earth Crust Stored in Deep Mantle

Apr. 24, 2013 — Scientists have long believed that lava erupted from certain oceanic volcanoes contains materials from the early Earth's crust. But decisive evidence for this phenomenon has proven elusive. New research from a team including Carnegie's Erik Hauri demonstrates that oceanic volcanic rocks contain samples of recycled crust dating back to the Archean era 2.5 billion years ago. Their work is published in Nature.

For what...................... ? Make sure to read what the pope said !

Where do morals come from?

By Kelly Murray, CNN

Learning is fun with facts.......................... and facts work when teaching children.

Atheist Prof. Peter Higgs: Stop calling Higgs boson the ‘God particle’

Professor Peter Higgs said recently that there is no God and so people should stop referring to the theoretical partial that
      bears his name as the “God particle.”

Pope praises science, but insists God created world updated Thur October 28, 2010
      Stephen Hawking is wrong, Pope Benedict XVI said Thursday – God did create the universe. The pope didn't actually mention the world-famous scientist, who argues in a book published last month that the laws of physics show there is no need for a supreme... \

Science

Heaven is 'a fairy story,' scientist Stephen Hawking says updated Tue May 17, 2011
      By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor The concept of heaven or any kind of afterlife is a "fairy story," famed British scientist Stephen Hawking said in a newspaper interview this week. "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when...

April 7th, 2012

The Jesus debate: Man vs. myth

Make sure to read comments

April 18, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |

Breaking News

NASA: Three planets found are some of best candidates so far for habitable worlds outside our solar system.

NASA: Mars could have supported life

Star Dust we are

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWdU_px9ApE&w=640&h=390]

Holy Hallucinations 35

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XTCRdC8Dlo&w=640&h=390]

The ORIGIN story is bullsh-it...............so is the bible............... nasty !

From Soup to Cells—the Origin of Life

Scientists have unearthed the first direct signs of cheesemaking, at a site in Poland that dates back 7,500 years.

Human Evolution

BBC. Planet of the Apemen. Battle for Earth 1. Ho-mo Erectus

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUliLKSJ4bQ&w=640&h=390]

BACKFILL on E =mc2.....

Einstein letter, set for auction, shows scientist challenging idea of God, being 'chosen'

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

Decades before atheist scientist and author Richard Dawkins called God a "delusion," one world-renowned physicist – Albert Einstein – was weighing in on faith matters with his own strong words.

“The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends,” Einstein wrote in German in a 1954 letter that will be auctioned on eBay later this month. "No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.”

May 4, 2013 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |

Cheech & Chong's History of 420

Cheech & Chong's History of 420 from CheechAndChong

All cults...........creationists, ID believers and devil cults.................

The fact...............the earth is to old ...........time to EVOLVE !.

Ancient Earth Crust Stored in Deep Mantle

Dover Trial Transcripts............................................. FACTS.

Below are the complete transcripts from the Dover Trial. Thanks to our friends at the National Center for Science Education for helping us fill in the missing transcripts.

Education works for children

Earth From Space

Detailed satellite images reveal the web of connections that sustain life on Earth. Aired February 13, 2013 on PBS

Program Description

"Earth From Space" is a groundbreaking two-hour special that reveals a spectacular new space-based vision of our planet. Produced in extensive consultation with NASA scientists, NOVA takes data from earth-observing satellites and transforms it into dazzling visual sequences, each one exposing the intricate and surprising web of forces that sustains life on earth. Viewers witness how dust blown from the Sahara fertilizes the Amazon; how a vast submarine "waterfall" off Antarctica helps drive ocean currents around the world; and how the sun's heating up of the southern Atlantic gives birth to a colossally powerful hurricane. From the microscopic world of water molecules vaporizing over the ocean to the magnetic field that is bigger than Earth itself, the show reveals the astonishing beauty and complexity of our dynamic planet.

February 16, 2013 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |

Peace

Free speech helps to educate the masses..............POLITICIANS TOO !

The Big question is ETHICS ! does religion have any ?

The Ethics of Resurrecting Extinct Species

The fact...............the earth is to old ...........time to EVOLVE !..................Creationists...........ID believers and christians !

Ancient Earth Crust Stored in Deep Mantle

Maybe they should not have created the wedge !!!

The wedge strategy is a political and social action plan authored by the Discovery Insti-tute, the hub of the intelligent design movement. The strategy was put forth in a Discovery Insti-tute manifesto known as the Wedge Docu-ment,[1] which describes a broad social, political, and academic agenda whose ultimate goal is to defeat materialism, naturalism, evolution, and "reverse the stifling materialist world view and replace it with a science consonant with Christian and theistic
      convictions.

Dover Trial Transcripts............................................. FACTS.

Education works for children

Where do morals come from?.............the answer is not the bible read and find out !

By Kelly Murray, CNN

By the numbers .......easy to do !

Doc................Love FACTS !...............Evolution is a dirty word to them !

Monkey Math: Baboons Show Brain's Ability to Understand Numbers

May 3, 2013 — Opposing thumbs, expressive faces, complex social systems: it's hard to miss the similarities between apes and humans. Now a new study with a troop of zoo baboons and lots of peanuts shows that a less obvious trait – the ability to understand numbers – also is shared by humans and their primate cousins.

From Soup to Cells—the Origin of Life

Human Evolution

Dover Trial Transcripts............................................. FACTS.

They lost in 2005............still trying !

May 6, 2013 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |

Peace.......

May 6, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
  13. Science

The truth we hope.

Free speech helps educate the masses................POLITICIANS too !

Where do morals come from?

By Kelly Murray, CNN

Gravity is not up for debate !

Einstein's Gravity Theory Passes Toughest Test Yet..............................E = mc2..........(U–Pb).................two math formulas.

The Big question is ETHICS ! does religion have any ?

The Ethics of Resurrecting Extinct Species

April 30, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |

May 1, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |

And NO ANGELS the pope KICKED them OFF the TEAM last year !

From Soup to Cells—the Origin of Life

the wrong path is Adam and Eve !

Human Y Chromosome Much Older Than Previously Thought

No god(s) needed or required to graduate from public schools in the US

Remember : Adam had to POKE himself hard with his OWN BONE to create Eve.

Ancient DNA Reveals Europe's Dynamic Genetic History

Ca-nabis and Cannabinoids (PDQ®) – National Cancer Insti-tute

Good stuff !

The fact...............the earth is to old for this nonsemse ! Time to EVOLVE !

Ancient Earth Crust Stored in Deep Mantle

For what...................... ? Make sure to read what the pope said !

Where do morals come from?

By Kelly Murray, CNN

Atheist Prof. Peter Higgs: Stop calling Higgs boson the ‘God particle’

bears his name as the “God particle.”

Science

May 4, 2013 at 6:42 am |
    • Science

BACKFILL on E =mc2.....

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

May 4, 2013 at 6:47 am |
  14. CraigRB

What a thrilling opportunity it must have been for Mr. DuBois to have been able to work with a President who will perhaps go down in history as one of our greatest Presidents of all time. I might add that it must have been great for Mr. Obama to have had such a brilliant and devoted adviser as this dedicated pastor.

April 11, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
    • old golfer

I'd like to have some of what you are smoking. As to Obama being one of the great Presidents, the jury is still out on that. One fact for sure, he has run up more debt than all the Presidents in our history, with the help of an incompetent congress. When the bills for Obamacare begin to come in, the spending will grow a lot more. Time will tell if we can continue to survive on printed fiat money and money borrowed from other's, namely China.

July 4, 2013 at 9:07 am |
  15. Kg

Wow,I finally read something rational,nice and very Christian like on one of these sites. Thanks the man from Africa!

March 27, 2013 at 10:51 pm |
  16. james

What's next for President Obama's 'pastor-in-chief' ???–The door perhaps !!!

March 18, 2013 at 11:18 pm |
  17. stevieray

I thought the right Reverend Wright was Obammy's Pastor in Chief in 2004?!...you know, the "God Damn America" guy that he now disassociates himself with?!

March 18, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
    • The real Tom

The re-election was in November, honey. Your side lost. Again.

March 18, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
    • Remember when...

There was no your side, my side and we were all Americans?

April 14, 2013 at 10:46 pm |
  18. YoungGeezy

What wuz my president doin on da history channel last night yo? I did like his black hoodie, when he was talkin to Jesus........When he gonna be on da show about Mohammed?

March 18, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • Tribbles

You're late for your TeaKlan meeting.

March 18, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
  19. Ezechial

democrats consider obama our god. That’s why are are offended.

March 18, 2013 at 6:00 pm |
  20. Ezechial

God works in mysterious ways........he has outed the Keynian born, Obama. Both of his fathers were in FACT Muslims that hated the USA, capitalism, religion, white people, and imperialism. Both fathers left his radical/progressive Muslim-man loving mother. No wonder Barry is trying his best to destroy this country............a friend of Lucifer.

March 18, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • Yeah Right

Isn't it great that you can turn on FOX and Limbaugh and find out what your opinions are everyday? I mena, if you didn't have those, you would have no idea what your opinions are.

March 18, 2013 at 6:22 pm |
    • Atheists Anonymous

Someone who can't spell their own name, Kenyan, and has the nerve to say men who were married to a white woman for years would hate white people because they are Muslim. Are you sure you are not the one who hates Muslims. I am a Christian from Africa and here we intermarry freely with Muslims. Somehow Christianity is declining in America and rising in Africa. Could it be that we love whites, Arabs and Muslims and therefore get to share the Gospel while most Southern white Christians only sit and watch FOX and don't go to school. How does someone like you who produces almost nothing compete with a Kenyan professor on the World Market? That is why America is suffering. Stupid People who are Racist are killing it.

March 22, 2013 at 3:59 am |
    • CraigRB

It's people like you with your insane, uneducated ideas that are making it easier and easier for Democrats to win elections. Thank you, keep up the good work.

April 11, 2013 at 12:01 pm |