home
RSS
February 28th, 2013

Former Swiss Guard: Benedict, John Paul had personal touch

By Dugald McConnell and Brian Todd, CNN

(CNN) – Andreas Widmer knew two men - one who was pope and one who would succeed him - who despite their immense responsibilities were keen to the spiritual needs of the people around them. The sort of people others might hardly notice.

Widmer was one of those the clerics noticed.

He saw the inner workings of the Vatican as a member of the Swiss Guard when John Paul II was head of the Roman Catholic Church. The experience left him with an appreciation for what a pope sacrifices.

"Nobody wants to be pope," he said. To become pope is "to give up all privacy," Widmer said. "You're basically locked in; you have to go where you have to go. You lose your friends, you lose your family - you're a prisoner.

"Not one cardinal wants to be pope."

When the cardinals assemble their conclave to elect a new pope, he said, "they walk into the Sistine Chapel like this," he said, demonstrating averted eyes. "Don't make eye contact."

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, who became Pope Benedict XVI in 2005, had been looking forward to retirement, Widmer noted.

"He wanted to go back and write books" and be left alone, Widmer said of Ratzinger, 78 when he was elevated to become "pastor of the Church universal," shepherd to a flock of 1.2 billion people.

Widmer became a member of the Swiss Guard when he was 20 years old. The bodyguards are best known for their proximity to the pope, as well as their colorful uniforms. But Widmer says it is a competitive position, for which candidates have to meet stringent requirements - physical, mental and psychological.

Still, "I went there for all the wrong reasons," he said.

"I thought ... the coolest thing you could do is be a bodyguard." Widmer was a guard from 1986 to 1988.

He said his faith deepened from talking to John Paul II and Cardinal Ratzinger.

The first time Widmer spent Christmas Eve on duty, away from home for the holiday, he said Pope John Paul II saw that his eyes were red.

"Right at that moment, he comes out of his apartment. And he noticed, and he reached out to me, and he thanked me for being there, and he gave me courage."

Widmer said John Paul II had a rare gift for personally connecting with people.

CNN Belief: A look at possible papal contenders

"When he was with you, nothing else mattered. You felt like he got up in the morning to meet you. That's the presence that this man had when he was with you.

Today, Widmer is director of entrepreneurship programs at the Catholic University of America and president of the Carpenter's Fund, which provides loans for building infrastructure in developing countries. He describes his experiences with the popes in his book "The Pope & The CEO."

He agrees with many observers who say that John Paul II was at his best with the public, while Benedict was at his best with concepts and matters of doctrine.

But he says that Benedict also was personally warm, not withdrawn or reserved.

"He was very accessible," Widmer said of Benedict. "Often he would wait to go see John Paul, and he would be outside, and I could talk to him. Completely open, like I can to you."

And when Benedict - back when he was still a cardinal - spotted Widmer reading a book he wrote, he was sympathetic about what heavy reading it was. "'Read it in small bits,'" he said the pope told him. "'It goes down easier.'"

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Widmer admires Benedict XVI for leaving on his own terms, and for making way for a younger pope, who can travel abroad and give the Catholic Church new appeal.

But he disputes the notion that Benedict was becoming isolated at the Vatican.

"It couldn't be further from the truth," he said. "That man knows exactly what is going on. He's very connected."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Catholic Church • Pope Benedict XVI • Pope John Paul II • Vatican

1. Asydrarlild

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing somewhat analysis on this. And he in reality bought me breakfast since I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love reading extra on this subject. If feasible, as you develop into expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with alot more details? It is actually extremely valuable for me. Major thumb up for this weblog post!

michael kors handbag sale

April 9, 2013 at 11:53 pm |
  2. Karen

The priests he hid got way too personal with their touches.

March 2, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
  3. TV1

Instead of sharing God's love and praying for guidance – I come onto this blog and try to prove I'm right. Instead of 'turning the other cheek' when offended – I retaliate. I waste a lot of time on here arguing with others.

I have resorted to name calling, posting as multiple names and posting as other names. I will post things just to try and upset another person. Instead of bringing forgiveness, I bring wrong. Instead of bringing love, I bring hatred. Instead of bringing harmony, I bring discord. Instead of seeking to understand, I have been seeking to be understood.

I can change this. And I will. And I ask God for the strength to do this. I want to be better. What I do is more important than what I believe. I don't need to worry about what other's believe. There is nothing I can do about that. The best thing I can do is live in response to the love that God has shown me in my life.

March 2, 2013 at 11:08 am |
    • Cat Holic

Then please don't waste your time on this blog. Go out and help those who were abused and stop contributing to a church that enabled those priests to commit crimes.

March 2, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
  4. TC

The article is about a guy's personal interaction with two other people, not much to comment on really.

March 1, 2013 at 2:12 pm |
  5. Pozharnik

Wow, lots of comments about the fact that there is no proof God exists. No kidding. that's why it's called faith, the definition of which is belief without proof. And I submit that those non-believers who go to a blog called Belief simply to insult and deride those who do believe need to do a little growing up. Not all believers (of any faith) are good and not all are bad, most fall somewhere in the middle. Not all non-believers are immature insulting juveniles using the anonymity of a blog to indiscriminately insult the beliefs of people they know nothing about. It's a shame.

March 1, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
    • Say it ain't so

So true. i've had faith that the human race can be good, so far i haven't had any proof...

March 1, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I have no quibble with those who believe. What I loathe are those who SAY they have "evidence" and "proof" when they do not.

March 1, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
    • Filthy Hind I love to Mithrism lick and talk Islam bunk

The thing is, there is a reason you don't worship Allah. There is a LOT more to it, and you know it. Liar.

March 1, 2013 at 9:26 pm |
  6. AvdBerg

The Spiritual Truth

Narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it (Matthew 7:14).

March 1, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
    • Filthy Hind I love to Mithrism lick and talk Islam bunk

So Matthew learned to talk like Yoda ?

March 1, 2013 at 9:27 pm |
  7. Science

666667

Soul is on bottom of shoe can be replaced or repaired .

March 1, 2013 at 1:09 pm |