home
RSS
First on CNN: Atheists ratchet up rhetoric, use billboards to attack Republican politicians
March 3rd, 2013

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – An atheist organization known for being provocative plans to take that reputation to the next level this week by putting up seven billboards that call out prominent politicians and religious leaders.

American Atheists plans to target three Republican politicians: former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, former House Speak Newt Gingrich and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum.

The seven signs will go up around Dallas and Austin, Texas.

In one billboard, a picture of Palin is featured on the left, with a quote attributed to her. "We should create law based on the God of the Bible," the quote reads. Underneath the graphic is a tag line "GO GODLESS INSTEAD."

The billboard, however, misquotes Palin. In an interview with Fox News’ Bill O'Reilly, Palin addressed the growth in American secularism by saying America's founding fathers "would create law based on the God of the Bible and the Ten Commandments," not "should."

Each of the billboards has a similar format and includes a pitch for the group’s 50th anniversary convention in Austin.

Santorum is condemned for when he told an Iowa crowd last November that, "our civil laws have to comport with a higher law: God's law," while Gingrich is criticized for a remark he made at a CNN debate on October 18, 2011, in Las Vegas. "How can I trust you with power if you don't pray," Gingrich posited.

Virginia Davis, spokeswoman for Santorum, thanked American Atheists for the publicity.

"At a time when many are trying to remove God from the public square, the senator is appreciative of someone helping him very publicly express his strong belief that we are one nation under God," Davis wrote in an e-mail to CNN.

American Atheists President David Silverman, however, sees the billboards as a way to shame the targets.

"We at American Atheists are shaming these leaders for their bigoted and backwards remarks and attitudes, and conveying a message to today's atheists that we need not take it anymore," Silverman wrote in an e-mail to CNN.

Two religious leaders, the Rev. Robert Jeffress, pastor at the First Baptist Dallas, and Benedict XVI, now the pope emeritus, also are featured on billboards.

Jeffress' billboard includes a quote the pastor said during a 2008 sermon titled, "Gay Is Not OK." "What they [homosexuals] do is filthy," reads the billboard. Under the quote is the phrase "Go Godless Instead" and a rainbow flag, a symbol of gay rights.

This will be the only ad placed in Dallas, featured in a busy stretch of Interstate 30 and only a few miles from Jeffress' large church.

The First Baptist Church of Dallas is a member of the Southern Baptist Convention. Jeffress, who has been in its pulpit since 2007, is no stranger to controversy, including comments about Judiasm and Catholicism. After introducing Texas Gov. Rick Perry at the Values Voter Summit in Washington in October 2011, Jeffress told reporters he believed Mormonism was a cult, expressing a personal position and one held by his denomination. The move was seen as a particular slight to former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, a lifelong Mormon.

The billboard featuring Benedict XVI, who stepped down Thursday, cites a New York Times article entitled, "Vatican Declined to Defrock U.S. Priest Who Abused Boys." "The Church Protected Priests Who Abused Children," reads the billboard.

Silverman says the group plans to spend $25,000 on the billboards, which will go up on Monday and remain up for the rest of March.

"Everyone should be allowed to profess their faith, of course, but that does not shield them from criticism," Silverman wrote. "Everyone has the responsibility to lead moral lives, and 'It's my religion' is not an excuse for bigotry or immorality."

Silverman continued: "Some Americans seem to think that bigotry in the name of religion is somehow permissible. It is not. We hope that the believers of Austin place anti-atheist bigotry in the same category as anti-Semitism or racism - a relic of the past that needs to be jettisoned for all the right reasons."

Six of the billboards will be dispersed around the Austin area, with four placed on high traffic freeways.

This is not the first time American Atheists has used billboards to get its message out.

Last March, the group targeted Muslims and Jews with billboards that called God a "myth" in both Arabic and Hebrew.

In November 2010, the same group posted a billboard around the holiday season that read, "You KNOW it's a Myth. This Season, Celebrate REASON."

Silverman, who has been criticized for this in-your-face atheism, has long defended the tactic, saying that the confrontation is meant to "grow the cause and benefit the country."

"That's why companies buy billboards - to get attention," Silverman wrote.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Catholic Church • Newt Gingrich • Politics • Pope • Rick Santorum • Sarah Palin

soundoff (3,513 Responses)
  1. bitnar

There are way more atheists than the polls indicate. They are just quiet folks who don't raise billboards and argue. They believe (or don't believe) as is right for them. Live and let live. Some of them are afraid of being judged. They still have moral values and believe in action over anything. Although putting up billboards isn't my style, I respect their anger and frustration.

March 3, 2013 at 11:55 am |
    • Linda

I agree with you.
      I read once, someplace, and have never forgotten it, that, Atheists right now, are very much like many gays, "staying in the closet", which I can realte to.
      I have always been what I like to refer to, as a "non-believer", since I was a child.
      But, I grew up in an area that was very religeous, where if anyone dared to admit that they were not religeous they would be very harshly judged, condemned, and ostracized, as would thier family and children.
      It was much easier to pretend to be "one of them" to avoid all of that, for yourself and your children, which I did for a long time.
      I finally could not deal with being dishonest about it, and admitted that I did not believe, and I was treated badly, told that I, "was an unfit Mother", "a Devil worshipper", and "had NO right to inflict my beliefs onto my children."
      It was hard, especially as there were neighbors, who shunned me and no longer allowed their chldren to play with my children.
      I FIRMLY believe that, just as in my emediate family, of five, where my Mother was the ONLY ONE, who actually believed, out of the five of us, but I was the ONLY one of the other four who stood up and admitted that I didn't believe, which would mean, that there existed in my own family FOUR TIMES as many "non-belivers", as the public actually saw, that more than likely, that same ratio exists in the general society, of there actually being about FOUR TIMES as many of us, as are willing to stand up and be counted.
      I am O.K. with what this group is doing, to some extent, except that, I think that although we "non-believers" have been "attacked verbally", etc. by religeous people, I think that it makes both gays and non-religeous people look bad, when we "go on the attack", and it also brings us down to their level.
      I feel that we need to work hard to show others, just as gays, also do, that we are good, honest, caring, and loving people, and not the monsters that we have been portrayed by some people, as being.
      When we go "on the attack" it makes us look bad, I fear.

March 3, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
    • End Religion

Some valid points in here. I think the big problem is that most atheists I know probably are the easy-going live and let live types, however we've been so easy going that religious types, who are never satisfied with the status quo, have been really pushing to get their religion into law. It's even more frightening to see some of it succeeding, and to know they cannot see that the end of that road is theocracy.

The thing is, if we stand by and let all this happen then we are a part of the problem. We may not be comfortable confronting people. We may feel bad inside ridiculing others. But we can no longer coddle the belief in imaginary creatures and their arbitrary rules being forced onto others. And so we must confront and ridicule and reason.

On one hand they will tell us the U.S. is based on Christian values then on the other proclaim they are being persecuted. Expect they will cry about it. Steadfastly use fact and reason and their arguments will either end or devolve into scripture quotes, I assure you, because they have nothing but paper-thin fantasy with which to argue.

March 3, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
    • Mike

As a Christian, I find this diagnosis pretty exciting. The Bible teaches that in the end times, there will be a falling away and growing hostility to the Gospel and God. What you are giving testimony to is actually a fulfillment of bblical prophecy. Translated that means that the Lord's return might be sooner than we expected.

March 3, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
  2. Babs

I thought Republicans were atheists. You can tell they haven't read the Bible in many years.

March 3, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • Brian

Amen!

March 3, 2013 at 12:01 pm |
    • Tyrone

awww sheeitt, that was dope yo

March 4, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
  3. Sam

The lunies are out in full force. If someone believes in God, why do you care? Really, are you the supreme intelligence on the planet and it's your job to set us all straight? I love when Athiests call others "bigots". You are all the biggest bigots of all! Freaking left wing hypocrytes! And yes, BIGOTS!

March 3, 2013 at 11:53 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Keep on stomping your foot, Rumpelstiltskin.

March 3, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • because

because the religious try to force their beliefs on the rest of us. if they left their god at home, it would be fine. but pretending the earth is 10,000 years old is just a joke. stopping loving lgbt couples from getting the same legal marriage rights as straight people is a joke. keep in mind the bible was used to justify slavery in the 1800s. religion is having a horrible impact on the advancement of society. as an athiest, i dont break laws, dont lie, steal, or cheat. i dont need god to be a good person. so i am left unsure what role such a deity plays. some day jesus will be seen in the same light as zeus and mars.

March 3, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
    • ???

It seems you are upset that people disagree with your outlandish beliefs and are starting to become organized.I don't blame you for being upset-New atheism is here to stay,and religious folks are going to have to defend their beliefs.Get used to it.

March 3, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
    • rick

sam: wrong question. we don't care. what we do care about is your belief being shoved down our throats.

so the question is, why can't you leave others alone? if "leaders" weren't saying this nonsense, if your ilk wasn't trying to make your religion the law of the land, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

March 3, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • Doobs

We'll be glad to live and let live just as soon as you stop trying to codify your personal religious beliefs into civil law.

March 3, 2013 at 12:42 pm |
  4. MM

I think these billboards might backfire on the Atheist because they are preaching to the wrong audience. Texas! Comon' now. Most people will read the major points on the billboards and totally miss the point so I'm sure the targets are saying 'thank you' right about now.

March 3, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • Mike

MM: I thought exactly the same thing. One of America's great seminaries is right in the heart of Dallas...Dallas Theological Seminary...That one school has produced some of this county's greatest theologians...Dr. J. Vernon McGee, Dr. John Mitchell, Chuck Swindoll, Dr. Tony Evans, etc. Resistance has the profound effect of making one stronger. I go to the gym a lot. Many blessings.

March 3, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
    • Linda

I fear the same thing.
      I agree with the person, who said, that, "The reason they have a problem with the religeous people, is because they want to force their beliefs onto everyone else, and make them, "The law of the land", rather than "leave their beliefs at home".
      But, I greatly fear, that any time that you "go on the attack", you risk being seen by many people, who might have been at least somewhat sympathetic toward you, as "being an aggressor", which is exactly what our opponents want us to be seen as being, since they see us as being "horrible, nasty, Godless, people".
      These signs will, I fear, accomplish much more for the opposition than for those of us, who have never been believers, but want to be seen, as what we are, and have always been, good, decent, caring and loving people, and good parents.

March 3, 2013 at 12:26 pm |
  5. Nick Gonzalez

I am 84 years old. I never thought that in my lifetime Religion would be exposed for the fraud, that it is.
    In the third grade my teacher lectured me for my disbelief in God.
    Halleluiah!

March 3, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • ???

Hey Nick..Great heart-felt comment.It must have taken lots of courage to be a non-believer all those years.Feel free to post more details from your life-long battle...you are an inspiration !

March 3, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • Linda

NIck, I am 64 yrs. old, and have gone through the same things, as I grew up in an area where religeon was very strong, ina in the schools, etc.
      The separaton of church and state was a complete joke.
      I wish I could say that I agree with you, that "Religeon has been exposed for the fraud that it is.", but I think that we are still FAR from that happening.
      I tend to look at it, having grown up in a family and then married into a famly that was very religeous, that, "IF believing in a God helps someone to cope with life, because, let's face it, "Life IS hard", then, I am FINE with that person being reliegous.
      I just get frustrated with the intolerance of reliegous people for ANYONE at all, who is NOT one of them, and that they then want to try to portray ANYONE, who does not believe what they do, as beinng horrible.
      I am a really nice person, caring, and loving, and very soft hearted, as are my children, who also are non-believers.
      I hope that in my lifetime, I will JUST see people of ALL kinds of beliefs, able to live together in peace and not always be feeling that "anyone who does not believe what they do, is Horrible and should be destroyed", That would be a HUGE step forward.

March 3, 2013 at 12:35 pm |
    • Mike

Hi Linda: I followed what you posted, but, and forgive me, I don't understand why you think what I shared was "part of the problem." I'd appreciate some clarification. One other thought. I am not about religion. I am a Christian in "relationship" with the resurrected Savior of the world, Jesus Christ. My faith is not a philosophical one, it is a historical faith in a historical person who exists in the dimensions of time and space...ie . history. I don't require anyone to agree with that position, however, that is my context...I kind of feel like you took me out of it. Many blessings!

March 3, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
  6. Jeff K

Well its to be expected isn't it. If christians start to get obnoxious with their beliefs pushing them on others there will be push back.

March 3, 2013 at 11:50 am |
    • Mike

HI Jeff..I know this might offend you. What you view as being obnoxious, we view as being both passionate and urgent. My wife and I were on our mountain rescue team in Calif. When we got a call out, we pulled all the stops in our efforts to save a person's life. There is going to come a day when history is going to come to a screeching halt, the Lord and Judge of the universe is going to return to judge the living and the dead. If a person has not received His free gift of salvation by faith in the One who paid for his or her sins, then the judgement for those sins will fall on them. That judgement will be executed for eternity in a place called hell, the lake of fire. No amount of disbelief, consensus, legislation is gong to forestall that event when God decides its time. As a Christian, I am going to do whatever I can to warn people of this eventuality and to help them see how much God wants otherwise as well...by introducing them to Jesus Christ..my savior, and their savior too, if they allow Him to be. Is this being obnoxious or compassionate. I believe the latter. Many blessings.

March 3, 2013 at 12:19 pm |
    • Linda

What Mike says here, is a lot of the problem.
      People of many different religeons, are taught, by the church leaders, that, "It isn't enough for them to just believe, themselves, and be happy with that, but they have a reponsibility to go out and try to "save everyone who is not a believer".
      And, that can be "non-believers" as well as anyone who is of another faith.
      I had an Uncle who married a Catholic woman, and became converted from the Lutheran belief that was what the entire rest of the family believed.
      Instead of him being simply taught by the Catholic Church, that, "It was fine for the entire rest of his family to be Lutherns, and just him become a Catholic.", he was, instead taught, that, "Unless he could convert the entire rest of his family from being Lutherns over to being Catholics, they would ALL burn in Hell."
      He about had a nervous breakdown, over his fear and frustration at NOT being able to convince ALL of the rest of his family members that, "They HAD to become Catholics or they would burn in eternal Hell."
      I felt realy bad for him, because, I felt that his new church was "A money making business, that was using him to try to get new business, by getting him to go out and "sell their prodect for them."
      But, in the process, they were hurting him, and causing major problems between him and the rest of his family.
      And this was NOT a religeous person trying to convert and "save" non-believers, this was a religeous person, trying to convert and "save" people who simply believed in God, but were of a different religeon.
      As long as religeons push their belivers to go out and "save" anyone who is not a member of their particular church, then we are going to continue to have people feeling that, "It isn't enough for them to simply believe, themselves, but they HAVE to go out and try to "save" everyone else.
      And, that means that those people, then CANNOT leave those of us, who simply want to be left along, alone.
      They are being told, that "It is their responsiiblity, as good Christians, to go out and force their beliefs onto others.
      The fault lies with the churches themselves, who are operating like big businesses, who are recruting, their followers to be "sales people" for them, instead of teaching them, that, "It is fine that they believe, but equally fine that other people believe other things."

March 3, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
    • Mike

Linda: sorry posted to the wrong post and misquoted you... was "a lot of the problem." refer to what I said above. Thx

March 3, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
  7. rick

so, the stories that made it into the "holy" bible were decided by a committee. many "scriptures" didn't make it, for both political and religious reason.
    there is nothing on this planet that was not written by a man. nothing. and we're to take these selected gospels, selected by men, as the written word of god, and discard the others because they were decided, for various reasons, again, by men, that they weren't "holy" enough?

March 3, 2013 at 11:43 am |
    • End Religion

yes, some "words of god" are better than others. And men are the judge of it. Makes sense, eh?

March 3, 2013 at 11:48 am |
  8. Bob

These billboards are fantastic. Great stuff. Wonderful to see people standing up against religious supersti-tion and standing up against prominent, too-powerful religious bigots such as the nasty ones in the billboards.

Freedom from religion and other supersti-tions can be achieved. The great pushback is underway.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
    Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

March 3, 2013 at 11:41 am |
    • Jeff K

I think its not about trying to argue against christianity its about blocking attempts of some to force christianity on others.

March 3, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • qqqqqjim

Spot on, Bob. You hit the nail on the head! We need politicians who believe in the laws of men, not the bible.

March 3, 2013 at 11:52 am |
  9. HarryGP

I have things to do, so if the creator happens to be reading this, yes, you are.

March 3, 2013 at 11:39 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

Missing your Sunday dose of Gullible Travels???

March 3, 2013 at 11:42 am |
    • ???

..so god has a computer now?Did he create his own?PC or mac?........

March 3, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
  10. Equality, WHAT!!!

Those who condemn religion should answer this question: Was there ever a man called Jesus Christ that was alive in this world? It isn't a false story. He was alive in the flesh and continues to live in the Glory of His father, God. Just as the manufacturer of every new toy has instruction booklet, the Bible is the instruction booklet for humans. Study it and live by it.

March 3, 2013 at 11:38 am |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

god does not live in a book

March 3, 2013 at 11:39 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

Studied it, it reads kind of like a bad version of the original Grimms Fairy Tales...so full of horror and abuse.

March 3, 2013 at 11:44 am |
    • Bob

So EQW, how come your "omnipotent" sky fairy couldn't do his saving bit without all the dead son nonsense, and how was Jesus' death a 'sacrifice' when a god ought to be able to pop up a replacement son with less than a snap of his fingers? Pretty pathetic "god" you've made for yourself there. And speaking of your Christian book of nasty AKA the bible, let's take a look at what's really in that evil book:

Numbers 31:17-18
      17 Now kiII all the boys. And kiII every woman who has slept with a man,
      18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Deuteronomy 13:6 – “If your brother, your mother’s son or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul entice you secretly, saying, let us go and serve other gods … you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death”

Revelations 2:23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Leviticus 25
      44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.
      45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.
      46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Note that the bible is also very clear that you should sacrifice and burn an animal today because the smell makes sicko Christian sky fairy happy. No, you don't get to use the parts for food. You burn them, a complete waste of the poor animal.

Yes, the bible really says that, everyone. Yes, it's in Leviticus, look it up. Yes, Jesus purportedly said that the OT commands still apply. No exceptions. But even if you think the OT was god's mistaken first go around, you have to ask why a perfect, loving enti-ty would ever put such horrid instructions in there. If you think rationally at all, that is.

And then, if you disagree with my interpretation, ask yourself how it is that your "god" couldn't come up with a better way to communicate than a book that is so readily subject to so many interpretations and to being taken "out of context", and has so many mistakes in it. Pretty pathetic god that you've made for yourself.

So get out your sacrificial knife or your nasty sky creature will torture you eternally. Or just take a closer look at your foolish supersti-tions, understand that they are just silly, and toss them into the dustbin with all the rest of the gods that man has created.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

March 3, 2013 at 11:44 am |
    • Yeoomala

And you should ask yourself if there was ever a similar story a few thousand years earlier that is identical in many respects to the Bible and Jesus. Of course you wouldn't want to look at things with your brain in an objective way would you?

March 3, 2013 at 11:45 am |
    • Earthling147

If a person named Jesus Christ lived a couple of thousand years ago, he's been dead for about 2,000 years. Dead, as in dead. Once you're dead, that's the end of the story. You can pretend all you want, but it won't change reality. Keep your religion in your church where it belongs, it is offensive to those of us who can think.

March 3, 2013 at 11:50 am |
    • bitnar

Your assumptions don't apply to everyone. I think these billboards are inflamatory, but they are in reaction to people like you who make assumptions about what everyone should believe.

March 3, 2013 at 11:51 am |
  11. Smarterest Human

rethugs deserve it. they have ruined america.

March 3, 2013 at 11:35 am |
  12. TC

If I was an atheist I would target believers too. However, the approx 5% of the population that refuses to believe there is a spiritual world are pretty much whack jobs like Gingrich and Palin. So I have no problem with the delusional, smug, arrogant, narcissistic atheists and politicians complaining about the other. Oh another thought – the common denominator rule is good tool – if you are a scant minority of the population, not only will your views not be advanced but also because the other 95% believe your wrong.

March 3, 2013 at 11:34 am |
    • .

It doesn't matter. Religious beliefs shouldn't be codified into civil laws in a secular country, which the US most certainly is. THIS is what the forefathers were talking about when talking about the separation of church and state.

March 3, 2013 at 11:40 am |
    • Doobs

At one time, those who believed in civil rights for women and African Americans were in the minority too. Might doesn't make right, no matter how smug you feel in your majority today.

March 3, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • End Religion

TC, our views are being advanced and your adherent percentage is dropping like a stone. Expect over the next 20 years for it to fall from 75% to more European levels of 12% or so. Remember your post when the role is reversed.

March 3, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • Earthling147

Atheism is growing by leaps and bounds, while belief in nonsensical bronze age mythologies is declining precipitously. Intelligence and awareness are increasing despite the efforts of religious extremists to stifle education and rational thought. Send us a postcard from oblivion, you should be there in a decade or so.

March 3, 2013 at 12:01 pm |
    • MTS3000

Ninety five percent? I love small-minded Christians; they make for unintentional comedy. Religion in the US according to a poll (yes, you can Google it) conducted last year stated that faith in organized religion is at an all time low. Fifteen to twenty percent do not identify with any specific religion. in addition, there are only two religions that I know of that are bent on squelching the rights of others: Islam and Christianity. Humanists, Shintoists, Buddhists, and certain sects of Judaism seem to get along quite well without beating others over the head with their fairy tales.

The bottom line is this: Christians are becoming far less relevant, and they are dying off. As in Europe, sanity will take over and religion will be relegated to where it belongs: in your private life. As a libertarian, your religious attempts to interfere in my private life via public policy not only offends me, but it ensures that I will help to fund groups such as the one in the article. In addition, go ahead and run a query on the correlation of religion and IQ. *Snicker*

March 3, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
    • Linda

There are already many, many more "non-believers", than are willing to stand up and be counted, and they are growing in numbers.
      As one other poster stated, most of the religeous people are older people, who are dying out, so there numbers are steadily decreasing.
      I am not in favor of "non-religeous" people being what I feel is aggressive and on the attack against religeous people, but, I do hope to see the day, when the "non-reliegous" will be much braver about standing up and being counted.

March 3, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
  13. Patrick

Hmm, Blacks as a percentage of population, 12%. Latinos, 16.3%, Whites 70%. Would be kind of stupid to waste your money targeting a minority audience now wouldn't it?

March 3, 2013 at 11:33 am |
    • kathleen

63.4% of the US population is white, non-hispanic (and falling) in 2011. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

March 3, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • H . D. HARVEY

Whatever prejudices I have I reserve them for individuals that I have a problem with, not racial groups, etchnic groups, and leave religious fanatics like you alone just as long as you don't come knocking as my door with your phony pious bigotry and hypocrisy. I have never seen or heard of any relilgion that did't place itsself before family, country and the welfare of the citizenry.

March 3, 2013 at 4:22 pm |
  14. Rayburn

Interesting that the head of the aforementioned atheist group is a Jew.

As usual, the tribe covers all sides that favor their agenda. The lunatic Christo-Zionists on foreign policy, and anti-normal Frankfurt School liberal crazies on the domestic front.

March 3, 2013 at 11:32 am |
    • .

This is what a bigot would say. Psst, your anti-semitism is showing. Get thee back to your trailer, trash.

March 3, 2013 at 11:44 am |
    • End Religion

"The truth is that the FSM is hidden all around us. And He's left clues like Italian-style bread crumbs to show us the path to His Eternal Noodliness. He's in our language—every time someone tells you to use your "noodle" they're unknowingly directing you to turn to Him for guidance. And whenever someone talks about a "consPiracy," they're just invoking the mischievous nature of Him and His Chosen People, the Pirates."
      – Gospel of FSM

March 3, 2013 at 11:45 am |
    • Earthling147

So what you're saying is that you are so incredibly thick you can't tell the difference between a person's last name and their philosophy. Tell me, does it hurt when you try to think?

March 3, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
    • ???

Please,let's not make the mistake of calling someone like Rayburn an idiot.Judging by his writing skills,he seems quite intelligent.The 19 that flew the jets on 9/11 were educated and intelligent.What they have in common with Rayburn is unwavering FAITH.That will be much more difficult to overcome than mere stupidity.

March 3, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
  15. Paul

Most Republicans do a good job of "preaching the good book" around election time but then forget about their "good book" until the next election. Of course there are those that live a life of "sin" but then, once caught, quote scripture and ask for forgiveness. I think the word for them is "hypocrites"

March 3, 2013 at 11:31 am |
    • Bob

I hope you aren't calling the Christian book of nasty AKA the bible a "good book".

March 3, 2013 at 11:48 am |
  16. Markus

You cannot defend X with X. The defendant cannot be treated as an independent witness. The Bible was written by people who believed Jesus was superhuman, and this is what is being attacked. It cannot be used as evidence that he actually was superhuman: you would have to provide evidence of him outside the story. You are in the position of trying to defend the existence of a figure like Merlin or Paul Bunyan, who also have stories full of superhuman feats. Find something outside the story, or else I will conclude that humans have made up yet another superhero.

March 3, 2013 at 11:30 am |
    • Cheryl

What is sad there are many people who do not realize that what Jesus did when He walked on the earth has been repeated many times throughout history including the 21st Century. Jesus was not superman He was and still is the Only Begotten Son of the Living God who shed His blood for people to be redeemed from the curse of Adam, the one who wanted to know what evil was. All generations have experienced this. Jesus gave His life and over came the grave just so people could have a hope beyond this world. When the cycle of evil is completed then things will be as God intended in the beginning.

March 3, 2013 at 11:41 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

Cheryl: What's sad id that there exists gullible fools like you who do not have any comprehension of reality!! Try reading more than the buybull little girl and maybe get an education outside of the one room shack.

March 3, 2013 at 11:45 am |
    • Bob

Cheryl, what a load of cr@p you just posted. How come your "omnipotent" sky fairy couldn't do his saving bit without all the dead son nonsense, and how was Jesus' death a 'sacrifice' when a god ought to be able to pop up a replacement son with less than a snap of his fingers? Pretty pathetic "god" you've made for yourself there.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

March 3, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Cheryl, the "cycle of evil" doesn't sound biblical. Cycle implies recurrence. I thought your God had arranged things so that evil was a sort of one-off thing, not really its fault, and dealt with through a unique sacrifice.

March 3, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • ???

Cheryl-If you were the only person on earth that believed this story,would you be considered insane?

March 3, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
  17. Kenchandammit

There is an invisible man way up in the sky and he knows EVERYthing! He loves me so much that he will make me burn for eternity if I look at my neighbors boobs, which he created. All of this has been proven true by the fact that people have been telling me so since I was a little kid.

March 3, 2013 at 11:29 am |
    • Hez316

I thought the President of the USA is a professing Christian?

March 3, 2013 at 11:32 am |
    • .

Hez, so what? Did you catch the POTUS looking at your neighbor's boobs? Something got lost in translation there, buddy, because you made no point.

March 3, 2013 at 11:34 am |
  18. jimmy

Beliefs are changing quickly, and faith in a God is on the way out. Its obvious to all there is no such thing as God, and the Bible bangers are in a panic. Circling the wagons cannot stop this new direction we are heading. In the end, all this God stuff is about is money and power that is now slipping away.

March 3, 2013 at 11:28 am |
    • mucklucky

I don't suppose you have read the book of Job.

March 3, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • Doobs

You mean the book where god and "satan" systematically torture a man, murder his children, ruin him financially, and afflict him with disease to settle a bet?

Yes, I've read it. It shows what a petty, violent egomaniac your god is.

March 3, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
  19. DrewATX

As far as marketing, this is pretty good. Austin hosts SXSW in March which brings in so many people that all hotels in town get sold out months in advance and brings in about 170 million to our local economy. Hollywood types (with active twitter accounts and millions of followers) converge on the city.There are parties thrown from Rachel Ray and other tv personalities, Perez Hilton and other bloggers, music labels, & merchandisers, etc. There are live streams of events that attract people tons of people. Who are the targets of these event? The young folks. Who follow these celebs? Young folks. I bet there will be pictures of these signs uploaded by bloggers and celebs to their millions of twitter fans.
    Like it or not, the message will go well past beyond Austin and hit the targeted audience.
    Not a bad purchase for $25,0000.

March 3, 2013 at 11:28 am |
  20. Pete/Ark

As an Agnostic, I doubt the existance of Athiests....

March 3, 2013 at 11:27 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

Do you believe a god exists? If yes, then you're a theist. If no, then you're an Atheist. Agnostic and Gnostic only define knowledge not belief.

March 3, 2013 at 11:35 am |