home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. Peter Bishop

How appropriate that this atheist be included in the belief section. Atheists are, in fact, some of the most religious people.
    They just become their own "God" and form their values from themselves. Once that’s all worked out, the next step is the preaching. And they do it all the time. Same sheep, just different clothes.

March 24, 2013 at 9:05 am |
    • Robert

I very much disagree with the comment, but I dig the screen name.

March 24, 2013 at 9:16 am |
    • Duece BIGALOW

You are more of a Peter Head than a Peter Bishop!

March 24, 2013 at 9:26 am |
    • freddo

You're a tad bit off there. While it's safe to assume some atheists are as narcissistic as you suggest, atheists don't own that franchise... and not all atheists are narcissists.

Interesting that you have to demonize atheists to reinforce your own beliefs.

March 24, 2013 at 9:26 am |
  2. meg

Todd Stiefel, somewhere along the line was deceived of course pagans existed and had stories in which makes god even more so believable. It was mans confusion and worship of other gods and not God. Look what they did at the mountain the people heard Gods voice and the first thing the knuckle heads do is worship a cow. Paganism was born from sinful men turning away from God pagans didn't make up God. I really feel bad for Todd that his eye s where so easily shut and yet he admits he felt the spirit of god and denies him even works against him.

March 24, 2013 at 9:04 am |
    • John

"Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

March 24, 2013 at 9:10 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

Your ignorance is amazing. He simply grew up and realized there is no sufficient evidence to support your imaginary friend or the imaginary friend of any belief.

March 24, 2013 at 9:11 am |
    • Duece BIGALOW

Meg, good morning ... you are an idiot.

March 24, 2013 at 9:28 am |
    • Crazyace

The Pagan religion came before your christian religion... Also the story of "Jesus" is taken from religions before it. The only thing that matters is that we don't want your crazy in our laws of the land. I could careless if you went to church every day. Just stay out of the government.

March 24, 2013 at 9:37 am |
  3. the Dean

Atheist are so funny. Spend so much time talking about not believing in God. That's like me saying, "I don't believe in Big Foot or the Loch ness Monster", but I'm gonna spend money, time, and energy letting everyone know I don't believe in them. Yeah, atheist, you believe in God by your own actions. Silliest thing ever.

March 24, 2013 at 9:04 am |
    • John

And believers spend exponentially more in attempting to recruit others. You demonstrate religion's greatest weakness – hypocrisy.

March 24, 2013 at 9:13 am |
    • Mxh

That's because belief in God is so pervasive in our society. Political decisions get made because of people's beliefs in god. Decisions on what to teach in schools get made because of what god says. Decisions on our healthcare depend on Gods rules. If other people didnt force their beliefs on everyone, atheists wouldnt meed to be vocal about their nonbelief.

March 24, 2013 at 9:15 am |
    • chyrd

Funny... but I have never heard of people who believe in big foot try to legislate the lives of others.

March 24, 2013 at 9:17 am |
    • Justin

I don't obviously don't believe in whatever it is you believe in. I also don't really like to put a label on myself unlike you. And I don't preach or tell everyone I don't believe either. If they ask then I tell. People like you though and whatever you believe in. You're telling me your religious organizations don't preach or spend massive amounts of money to further progress their motives. I think you need to do a little more research on your so called faith my friend. Open your mind realize you can be a perfectly good and awesome person not having to guy by what some wording in a book says.

March 24, 2013 at 9:27 am |
    • freddo

The lion's share of money is spent by religious groups advocating their beliefs, not atheists.

I look forward to a day when religious groups stop advocating to have their views as the foundation of public policy.

March 24, 2013 at 9:29 am |
    • thekarl

Your logic is flawed, however I agree that this militant atheism is silly. In my heart I am an atheist but technically I call myself an agnostic because I cannot affirm or deny anything I cannot prove without absolute certainty. To say absolutely there is no god is almost a big a leap of faith as believing in a god.

"was man one of god's blunders, or god one of man's?" Frederich Nietzsche

A quote like this leads people like you to suspect some lingering belief in deities, however I can assure you that just because the "god concept" is a handy tool in explanation and expression, I does not indicate that we beleive in gods of any type. Einstein was an atheiest yet he one said "I don't believe god plays dice with the universe" to suggest that the very nature of math and physics contains an underlying order even if we have yet to discover it, but many people took that analogy out of context and tried to claim he beleived in god when the sum total of his writings clearly showed he did not.

It does not really matter if there is a god or not, what matters is how your belief affects you and those around you. If your belief causes you joy and to do good towards you fellow man then your belief system is valid, but if it causes you to try and impose your will on others it comes from a falsehood.

March 24, 2013 at 9:34 am |
  4. Rabbittroup

I'm pretty sure Christians, sometimes Jews (and recently Muslims) get discriminated against more in america than Atheist do. I don't recall any religious debate I've been in where an Atheist was discriminated against. It's usually one party or the next (for me Ironically it's usually Atheist) that barely understands the foundation of a religion accusing it's followers of being blood thirsty zealots etc. Which is no better than a cop that racial profiles a Latino american in LA and pulls them over thinking they are gang banger. What most people that enter into religious debate fail to take into consideration is that just because someone calls them self a follower of a particular religion. It does not mean that they are a true believer and perfectly practice the teachings the religion is based upon.

March 24, 2013 at 9:03 am |
    • Damocles

Disagreeing with something is not discrimination.

March 24, 2013 at 9:10 am |
    • Jim

Try searching on "Trustworthiness of atheists". Atheists are seen as some of the least trustworthy people. That is why there are so few elected atheists, etc. This needs to change.

March 24, 2013 at 9:16 am |
  5. Craig

It's about time. I'll bet the fundies hate him. And that means it's working.

March 24, 2013 at 9:03 am |
  6. Paul Wilson

If I am told by somebody that (s)he is an atheist, I am NOT going to ask him(her) why. It could have been a major traumatic experience that snuffed that person's faith and/or religion..

I would, however, strive to convince that person that we do have afterlives, that matter is not capable of consciousness, that there's no point in existing, if we just go "pfft" at the moment of death. I expect more of my soul than to just go like that forever !

I do not believe in any hellfire.

March 24, 2013 at 9:03 am |
    • Bob Carlson

Without any science to back up your theory of an afterlife, it is just wishful thinking.

March 24, 2013 at 9:08 am |
    • JH1

The problem lies in expectations and assumptions that have zero evidence to back them up. Just because you expect and hope for more than what you can physically see, doesn't mean that's the way it is.

I could try my best to convince you that there really is an invisible Santa Claus with an underground South Pole lair to throw off the satellites because I really really want there to be presents from Santa, but my assertions would be 100% baseless.

March 24, 2013 at 9:09 am |
    • jungleboo

"...matter is not capable of consciousness..." By this you are indicating that a tree is not conscious of itself and its striving and growing toward light and water. You are indicating that cells in your left kneecap are not aware and striving to work in sync with their neighboring cells. You are indicating that the cats and dogs who know their master are not conscious of their devotion and their need for assistance. On the other hand, if the cell in the lower epidermis of your left kneecap began to "know" your intent, and lead the other cells around it, telling them that it knows what you want for breakfast and who your last trick was, well, it would seem that that cell would be on the verge of being cancerous, because it was overstepping its bounds, and out of sync with its reality. Just sayin'...

March 24, 2013 at 9:10 am |
    • TOOZX5

Or simply an investigation into the religion that led him to drop the faith, as the article mention. Blinding believing something, and not looking into the evidence for the claims will do that.

There was no point in species existing if they went extinct. Saying we have afterlives is an assertion you haven't proved with evidence. So you are simply creating an assertion. Making up claims to make yourself feel better....doesn't suddenly make the claims true. Evidence prove the truth of something. Not blind belief.

March 24, 2013 at 9:11 am |
    • Damocles

Why does it always have to be some kind of traumatic experience? Can't people simply say 'meh, I understand that I don't need to believe that there is some enti-ty looking over my shoulder to be a good person?'

March 24, 2013 at 9:15 am |
    • Nicodemus Grumpschmidt

Traumatic experience? No, rational revelation is what brings one to atheism. It appears you got things a bit confused here as per causal relationships.

March 24, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
  7. merlin215

Unbelievable , Another one who can't think straight and wants to ruin other peoples lives and beliefs ... God I wish these people would learn that money does NOT mean you are a God in your own right ... Where in the world do these people get their morals ? Also And CNN gives them an audience ... NOW we see what is wrong with this world RIGHT in front of our faces , but we choose NOT to believe what we see ... Sorry but I just get so mad with these Millionaire Babies that think they know everything , get older , and then second guess their " wisdom " ....

March 24, 2013 at 9:03 am |
    • I Am God

You complain about his money, yet I am sure your church or group has donated millions of dollars into political campaigns.

March 24, 2013 at 9:04 am |
    • Damocles

I'm guessing you would not be railing against any 'millionaire baby' who wished to donate to your cause?

March 24, 2013 at 9:12 am |
    • Steve

You have republicans and other rich christians doing the same thing in the name of God as well. I used to have faith in god and Jesus, but over the years I lost that faith and will never get it back. This guy has about as much right say what he wants and do what he wants just like all those other christians and religions do.

March 24, 2013 at 9:16 am |
    • Jim

If your beliefs are sound why would you be afraid of a billboard or a commercial? How is your faith being ruined?

March 24, 2013 at 9:18 am |
    • TOOZX5

What is up with you believers who aren't content & think every little thing is trying to be turned into a god of some kind? People spend their money..."they think its a god!". People gain confidence...."they think its a god!" People use the computer...."they think its a god! Idol worshipers!" Such simplistic cult mentality. Enough. Non religious people get their morals using rationality.

March 24, 2013 at 9:20 am |
  8. Christian7

Atheism is a religion like zero is a number.

March 24, 2013 at 9:03 am |
    • frhoads

You know as much about math as you do about philosophy. Zero is a number.

March 24, 2013 at 9:08 am |
    • JH1

Zero is a number. Atheism is not a religion.

Atheism is the TV channel you get when the TV is off.
      Atheism is the hair color bald.

"Belief" in atheism is the same as "belief" in gravity. It's not a belief. It's an acceptance or a rejection of a concept based on empirical information.

March 24, 2013 at 9:15 am |
  9. jerry

The money man they call him as though using the word money will become our God as it is his.

March 24, 2013 at 9:02 am |
  10. mark

His rhetoric is like an OMEN Good luck Damien!

March 24, 2013 at 9:00 am |
    • jungleboo

Watch a lot of movies?

March 24, 2013 at 9:12 am |
    • mark

March 24, 2013 at 9:16 am |
  11. Biff

I think most atheists would like to see Christians who believe in God actually do the good works that they are taught instead of saying one thing and then doing something completely different/sinful. I don't think that is too much to ask. I also think 'dose of reality' has valid points in his statements. I have not been around many atheists, but the ones I have been have behaved better than Christians, good fathers, good mothers....and so on. Bottom line for me, more atheists are good people than bad....just like anywhere else. I like to see their points and questions as well.

March 24, 2013 at 9:00 am |
    • Dawn Gray

Thank you.

March 24, 2013 at 9:08 am |
  12. Djensen

H.j. , I'm right there with you. As stated in this article, Todd may be a worldly example of what a major contributor can accomplish for atheism, but no words can adequately describe what his contributions will earn him at the Great White Throne if Todd continues to reject Christ. I'm praying for you Todd.

March 24, 2013 at 9:00 am |
    • JW

And he is thinking for you.

March 24, 2013 at 9:02 am |
    • I Am God

Why? We have free will. If God is going to punish us for expressing our free will, then why did he give it to us?

March 24, 2013 at 9:02 am |
    • jungleboo

"The Great White Throne". You have to be kidding. That simple statement says more about your worship of money and power than anything else you might possibly be preaching. Pass the collection plate.

March 24, 2013 at 9:14 am |
  13. CLK

The bible was written by man (and if you say it was written by God, then at the very least it was interpreted by man), all of which make it man-made, not God made.

So it's hard to believe what's written in it because it's so contradictory, and geared towards getting vengeance on those who don't believe, most likely because that was man's way of keeping other men in check. So it's no more right or wrong than anything Dr. Seuss wrote. It's just series of parables that encompass a large majority of struggles every man faces. Do you believe, not believe. Do you sin, not sin. Do you get vengeance or not, etc. The 10 commandments are supposed to be that "road map" but if you notice all 10 of them are broken in the bible, and many broken by God. Thou shalt not kill. That one is broken a lot in the OT. How can you follow a set of rules from a God who breaks the very rule he created? That's why I am not certain most of what the Bible says was said by God. It was written by man. And in turn you can lift any passage from any book and make it mean what you want it to. And that's what people who believe in religion do. They've justified their actions with excerpts from the Bible.

And the reason? Because man wrote the bible, not God. And man has no clue where he came from or where he's going after he's dead. There's no real definitive proof of what came before or what will come after. So that makes it very hard for man to grasp. He's no better than the ant he squishes below his feet. His life has as much meaning as the ant's and can be taken away as quickly.

What organized religion does is gather up people in hopes that a collective belief in an afterlife will somehow make it true. And collective religion also was formed to keep people in check otherwise the chance of an afterlife will be dashed.

Religion and God are two different things. Religion really has nothing to do with God, but everything to do with man.

I don't believe in religion because it's excludes people and it hurts people, and it's driven by power, money and a odd and inaccurate approach to knowing if there is a God and who he is. Look at the catholic church. It's a spitting image of what God, if we are to believe the bible, didn't want in a religion. People worshiping the pope, a man who is no more closer to god than any man. And the church had condoned for years abuse of others and then turns around and pays off people with the billions of dollars it collects from those who "believe". No, religion is about man and money. And people confuse the two all the time.

God, I don't know. I know there is some sort of spirit we all posses. I've seen it leave my Dad's body. I've felt the spirit of my dead cousin. Sometimes I've overwhelmed with a feeling of universal love. I know that in my heart, I don't want to hurt people. I also know there are all sorts of theories on how we came about and what else is out there in the world, but there's no proof of any of it. Just theory. For many, God creates an image we can believe in, in hopes that someone, somewhere has all the answers. I'm not so certain "we" were created in God's image as much as we created God in ours. Because otherwise we're just all ants.

I certainly want to believe, but I'm certain I don't want to follow what man has conjured up. I don't think "God" is about religion.
    And I don't think we were created in his image. I think the God image is far different than what it will really be. At least I hope it is because the Bible paints a really scary picture of God.

I want to hope there's an afterlife and that what's in my heart gets me there, not the the deeds I did on earth did, because if that's the case, I'm doomed. Personally I think if people stopped trying to follow their "religion" and started following their heart, they'd have a better chance at an afterlife and do much better in this life.

March 24, 2013 at 9:00 am |
    • Christian7

I agree with Newton when he said this:

"I have a fundamental belief in the Bible as the Word of God, written by those who were inspired. I study the Bible daily."– Issac Newton

March 24, 2013 at 9:01 am |
    • Dawn Gray

Absolutely the best post I've ever seen anywhere. You have put to words what I believe more eloquently than I ever could.

March 24, 2013 at 9:12 am |
  14. cjbigcat

The last time a German non-believer with this much ambition shoved his agenda and world views down the public's throat, it didn't turn out so well.

March 24, 2013 at 8:59 am |
    • JW

Yeah,and he was a Catholic.

March 24, 2013 at 9:01 am |
    • Richard Cranium

If you are refering to Hitler, he was a believer, actually had something of a religious obsession, and he was backed early on by the catholic church.

What german are you refering to?

March 24, 2013 at 9:02 am |
    • I Am God

Wow. I guess you need to study history better. Hitler was Catholic.

March 24, 2013 at 9:03 am |
    • Fact checker

Why does any of this make headlines? People religion and lack there of should be the persons bussiness.

March 24, 2013 at 9:07 am |
    • Fact checker

Hitler was raised Catholic but denounced it long before he went into office.

March 24, 2013 at 9:07 am |
    • cjbigcat

He used Christianity as a tool even though he was raised Catholic. The Catholic church behind the scene was helping him after all. He was an occultist.

March 24, 2013 at 9:09 am |
    • Gladdensnoot

Hitler was not a Catholic. His parents were, but he was not.

March 24, 2013 at 9:10 am |
    • I Am God

How do you think he roped the masses to Nazism? He was Catholic through and through and you used that to his advantage to gardner support.

March 24, 2013 at 9:11 am |
    • Nicodemus Grumpschmidt

Oooohhh! Using Hitler in a feeble to attempt to support your argument. That kind of mindless propaganda works on you, obviously, but not on those of us who have a functioning cerebral cortex. Like so many fundamentalist/right wing "arguments", you select the exception to try to prove the rule. Cjbigcat, here's a news flash. It doesn't work that way. Take a look at who atheists are, get a feel for their sense of morality, then apply that toward a world view. Once you do that, you'll see our intentions are all for the good without any wrathful, vengeful god to screw things up and cause misery for others.

March 24, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
  15. Bob Carlson

To quote someone else who's name escapes me – "When one person is delusional, they call him insane; when multiple people are delusion, it is called religion."

March 24, 2013 at 8:59 am |
    • Fish or Cut Bait

And I suppose there's no Santa or Easter Bunny either, huh?

March 24, 2013 at 9:05 am |
    • allenwoll

Robert M Pirsig

March 24, 2013 at 9:20 am |
  16. Jim

DIscrimination against atheists - in our current society, you've got to be kidding.

March 24, 2013 at 8:59 am |
    • Chris

It's clear from that you aren't one.

March 24, 2013 at 9:25 am |
    • TOOZX5

Over 70% of the U.S. is christian

March 24, 2013 at 9:25 am |
  17. J R Brown

As an atheist, this man embarrasses me. Atheism is NOT a religion to be preached...it is simply the notion that there is no God upon which the religions of the world are based. Being the equivalent of an atheism marketing front man is no different than being a Christian televangelist. Chances are, the man thinks there's money to be made in marketing atheism to the masses and that's the sole reason he's in this mode of "religious gamesmanship".

March 24, 2013 at 8:58 am |
    • JMEF

J R
      I would agree if there was no litmus test for politicians that being a declared atheist or agnostic immediately disqualifies you as an acceptable candidate in both parties. It wasn't until recently that an open LBGT could get acceptance. Perhaps, you are right that it is all about the cash flow but that is an assumption, until I see the first Cathedral of Atheism constructed or Hour of the Power of Atheism on Sunday morning I will not pass judgement, too Christian.

March 24, 2013 at 9:08 am |
    • allenwoll

JRB - Theism and Atheism BOTH suffer from the fact that their ideas can NOT be verified objectively - Therefore their ideas remain BELIEFS, the cornerstones of all religions.
      Agnosticism is the credible alternative.

March 24, 2013 at 9:26 am |
    • Chadwick

What baffles me is that both christians and atheist accuse each other of stereotyping while simultaneously being offended that the other accuses them of such stereotyping. Look, the fact is that there are good and bad people that profess a belief in God. There are also alot of good and bad people who do not believe in God. The belief (or lack of belief) is not what defines any of us as good or bad people. I believe in God and I always will. That belief does not make me better or worse than anybody else. What determines a good person is his or her actions, plain and simple. There needs to be respect on both sides. If you have a conviction and you are passionate enough to share it with others (be it religious or otherwise), good for you. That doesn't mean you are shoving it down anyone's throat. We should all be free to express what we believe (or don't believe) and that doesn't make us any more or less of a good person.

April 9, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
  18. mike

ALL RIGHT!!!!!

March 24, 2013 at 8:58 am |
  19. sharkusg

Great. You don't believe in God. Does that really require a campaign?

March 24, 2013 at 8:57 am |
    • The_Lightbringr

It does when we live in a country that people would turn in to a Christian version of Taliban Afghanistan if given half the chance...

March 24, 2013 at 9:01 am |
    • sjordan

You wouldn't think so, but it does. There's really no one to keep Christians from steamrolling over our government and taking away rights of Americans without the Athiests who are willing to come out of the closet and stand up for their freedom.

March 24, 2013 at 9:02 am |