home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. Fred

God cannot exist because something would have had to create him too. Can't create yourself, sorry.

March 24, 2013 at 9:56 am |
    • rebru chapson

see the Big Bang Theory – there has to be some point of origin!

March 24, 2013 at 9:58 am |
  2. Realist

****************

The Christian god emanates from the EVILBIBLE.com (visit the link)

****************

March 24, 2013 at 9:56 am |

*******************

So thank goodness he is imaginary ... GodisImaginary.com (visit the link)

*******************

March 24, 2013 at 10:01 am |
    • Realist

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

March 24, 2013 at 10:04 am |
  3. Nicodemus Grumpschmidt

To all believers: Notice the way Todd Stiefel approaches people and shares what atheism is really about. Far too many believers think that atheists are truly evil people simply because they don't believe in any fictional god. And why is that? Simple. The church wants its followers to stay in line so it villifies anyone whose beliefs, or lack thereof, run counter to that of the church. The church spreads all-out lies to accomplish this. One of the biggest reasons we atheists parted ways with religion was not only because of the fiction we were told to take as truth but also the great hypocrisy. Religion claims to be a beacon of morality but has for centuries used the name of its god to murder and maim people who stand in disagreement, no matter how moral those people may actually have been. And no, there was no original sin. No, there was no talking snake. No, there has never been any need for this silly concept of "salvation". No, there was no resurrection. No, there is no judgement. These are all ploys to scare the living daylights out of you to keep you fearful, keep you following the ways of the church, and keep your hard-earned, taxed income filling their tax-free coffers. Oh, and by the way, if you believe that god ordained the brutal murder of Jesus so that all humankind could be "saved", then you condone infanticide. That's another issue I have a little trouble with. There! Doesn't it feel good to truly be on the path toward enlightenment? 🙂

March 24, 2013 at 9:55 am |
    • Nate

That's the kind of full of yourself type of speech I would expect from someone like you.

March 24, 2013 at 10:03 am |
    • Ed

Nice one Nate, try to at least have an answer, rather then a foolish statement. It just reinforces his point. Again, you're too foolish to understand this.

March 24, 2013 at 10:10 am |
  4. Ed F.

Religion is the base of all evil, all war.

March 24, 2013 at 9:55 am |
    • Bob Carlson

I does appear to be true. I challenge any reader of this to cite an example of a war initiated without religion entering into the equation.

March 24, 2013 at 10:00 am |
    • Damocles

I kinda sorta have to disagree. I'd say people are the basis for evil and war. We are also the basis for good and peace. Kinda unique, aren't we?

March 24, 2013 at 10:02 am |
    • rand

Soooo funny!! This guys organization wants to attack FORMER Republicans who really hold no position of power at this current point in politics.

Just THINK how your money COULD BE SPENT all you donators out there...................oh and I'm an atheist

March 24, 2013 at 10:15 am |
  5. Joe_ma

I don't have respect to this man. Why not spend money on Humanitarian need or advancement of science and medicine. Like feeding the poor or sick children.

I guess history repeat itself like a well known atheist. Hitler, Stalin, Lenin. History will judge this man

I rather side with JFK, Hoover and G. Washington who rely on God to advance their country. Liberty One nation under god.

March 24, 2013 at 9:55 am |
    • rand

so TRUE!!!

March 24, 2013 at 9:59 am |
    • Richard Cranium

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. There are so many wrongs on your statement I can't even get stsr=arted, so I'll just say FAIL.

March 24, 2013 at 10:01 am |
    • Luis Wu

I guess you didn't read the part about his contributions to charity? Religion is just ancient mythology and superst!tious nonsense, it needs to be opposed and debunked at every opportunity. It's holding back progress in the world and contributing to ignorance. I applaud him for his work and I support his efforts 100%.

March 24, 2013 at 10:01 am |
    • I Am God

1.) Hitler was catholic. Stop denying the obvious.
      2.) He has donated to a lot of charities as well as we Atheists. Notice in the article that they stated that? Or are you claiming that donating to finding a cure for cancer and leukemia useless?

March 24, 2013 at 10:02 am |
    • I Am God

Oh and
      3.) Stalin, Mao Pao (whatever his name is), and so on and so forth followed "Communism" not "Atheism."

March 24, 2013 at 10:05 am |
    • Shawn

Yea....screw fighting for religious equality. He's wasting his time and money.....

March 24, 2013 at 10:08 am |
    • Joe_ma

Communism is atheism. They don't believe in God or religion. Look at East Berlin. Communist suppress their religion. They risk their live just to go over the wall to west berlin where they are free to practice religion.

March 24, 2013 at 10:09 am |
    • Shawn

If I could conceive that the general government might ever be so administered as to render the liberty of conscience insecure, I beg you will be persuaded, that no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny, and every species of religious persecution.
      - George Washington, letter to the United Baptist Chamber of Virginia, May 1789, in Anson Phelps Stokes, Church and State in the United States, Vol 1. p. 495, quoted from Albert J Menendez and Edd Doerr, The Great Quotations on Religious Freedom

March 24, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • I Am God

Jo-ma you are clueless. Let us put it in simple terms for you.
      Communsim – a political group
      Atheism – a group that does not belief in deities

Now that should be a great help to you in your future education. Learn the difference before spouting off some dumb rhetoric you heard from a priest who believes he speaks the word of God.

March 24, 2013 at 10:14 am |
    • JustJosh

"I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.."

"The Party, as such, stands for positive Christianity, but does not bind itself in the matter of creed to any particular confession."

"In the Bible we find the text, 'That which is neither hot nor cold will I spew out of my mouth.' This utterance of the great Nazarene has kept its profound validity until the present day."

Indeed spoken like a true atheist, eh? Sorry, but Hitler was a Christian.

March 24, 2013 at 10:14 am |
    • I Am God

Joe-ma if you wish to advance our country then follow our fore fathers in the Separation of Church and State.

March 24, 2013 at 10:21 am |
    • Joe_ma

@ I am God. If you want to be Atheist then go to Atheist country like Russia, China, And North Korea. Don't spread your idealism because its a total nonsense here.

If I will raise my children and I will insist that their are God even there are none. If they had no one to go when they are in trouble or problem at least they have the imaginary God to rely on to go on.... What happen if Atheist loose hope. They kill themselves or kill someone because there's no hell or heaven for them.

This is the same as Santa Clause. Even they're not real all kids are happy. I believe when your kid you also believe in Santa Clause.

March 24, 2013 at 10:45 am |
    • Joe_ma

GOD Believer.

It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors.
      George Washington

ATHEIST:
      “It is not truth that matters, but victory.”
      ― Adolf Hitler

Who do you side?

March 24, 2013 at 10:57 am |
    • I Am God

Joe ma they have brainwashed you well didn't they? Hitler was Catholic you ignorant fool. Look it up in the history books. Also SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE YOU TROLL.

March 24, 2013 at 10:58 am |
    • Moby Schtick

Your examples of great christians are JFK, Hoover, and Washington????? Stupid troll is stupid.

March 24, 2013 at 11:02 am |
  6. a-money

This is nonsense... saying atheism is a religion is like saying bald is a hair color...or saying not collecting stamp is a hobby...This is the dumbest article I've read today smh...

March 24, 2013 at 9:55 am |
    • Luis Wu

Absolutely.

March 24, 2013 at 10:02 am |
  7. rand

WHAT exactly is the POINT of this man's efforts? I am an atheist but I am not going to STOP OTHER PEOPLE FROM BELIEVING! It's THEIR CHOICE to believe. This man is nothing more than a CONTROL FREAK

March 24, 2013 at 9:54 am |
    • chentwinks

Agree, wholeheartedly!

March 24, 2013 at 10:07 am |
    • SixDegrees

You sound fearful. Afraid people might start thinking for themselves, you sound like.

March 24, 2013 at 10:10 am |
  8. RillyKewl

Go get 'em Todd Stiefel!!
    What an inspiration.
    More power to you, Brother.
    And, thank you.

March 24, 2013 at 9:54 am |
  9. Jon

God=Santa Claus.

March 24, 2013 at 9:54 am |
  10. gzone555

I am an atheist, and cannot see how any intelligent person can believe in the god myth.

March 24, 2013 at 9:53 am |
    • Luis Wu

Intelligent people don't.

March 24, 2013 at 10:02 am |
  11. mikeinsjc

He's scared. He thinks come Judgement Day, sincerity is going to count.

March 24, 2013 at 9:52 am |
    • Gerald

Atheism seems to be a curse word in this world, believing in god is like believing in Santa, but for adults, but yet again, how can they grow up if life expectancy on this planet is around 70?

March 24, 2013 at 10:02 am |
    • Ryan

What about his statements or persona could be construed to support that assertion? Being afraid of something you don't believe in is, so far as I can tell, unlikely. I imagine that Christians do not, on average, fear being reincarnated as a lesser being for their impiety towards the Hindu gods, for example.

March 24, 2013 at 10:09 am |
  12. Which god?

Given the condition of our world, god is either profoundly evil, profoundly incompetent, or non-existent. Take your pick.

March 24, 2013 at 9:52 am |
  13. Miguel

Being a true Catholic Christian is not about just a book, but also a Person. Atheism doesn't exist. Everyone has a god. Where you heart is where your god is.

March 24, 2013 at 9:52 am |
    • Bob Carlson

Huh?

March 24, 2013 at 9:53 am |
    • Damocles

Well, hell, that's going to be painful as all get out when the Alien deity bursts through my chest because, you know, that's where my heart is.

March 24, 2013 at 9:56 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

No Miguel, not everyone has a god. I don't require one, nor do any Atheists that I know of.

March 24, 2013 at 9:57 am |
    • bosefasaurus

What a dumb statement.

March 24, 2013 at 9:58 am |
    • Duke

I assure you atheism is alive and well in my household ... and I reserve my highest mockery for "true believers".

March 24, 2013 at 9:59 am |
    • michael

There is such a thing as not believing in anything. Your mind just cannot comprehend the idea that we are not too different from the rest of the animals around us. We will die and rot in the ground like them.

March 24, 2013 at 10:00 am |
    • Luis Wu

How utterly stupid.

March 24, 2013 at 10:03 am |
  14. Ross White, Canada

Hey, I like this guy... he's not afraid to say the truth about all this fary tale nonsense. I just hope some bible thumper nut doesn't decide to shoot him "in the name of God" or some stupid crap like that.

Joel Osteen on the other hand... "Hey, you can buy my book for only $49.99" (Visa and Mastercard accepted). That dude has a personal net worth of 40 million dollars. All from "The Lord." Amazing...

Religion is THE biggest ripp off in the world. How can anyone NOT feel stupid buying something that is not even tangible? Oh wait, I know... because they were brainwashed as kids. (My bad...)

Best Christain quote ever – "Because it says so in the bible." (Or, down south, correctly pronounced "babble.") No reason, no logic – just "because"...

NO THANKS! I have a brain of my own...

March 24, 2013 at 9:52 am |
  15. Jason

Thanks for all the great work Todd !!

March 24, 2013 at 9:51 am |
  16. Who Cares

I am an atheist and I could give a crap about joining any atheist groups. What would be the point? I cannot PROVE god does not exist, I simply do not believe the story of the Christian Bible nor the Koran nor Torah (Which Christians do not believe either...duhhhh). What is so hard to understand about that? Again – I cannot PROVE god does not exist, I simply ain't buying the story.

March 24, 2013 at 9:51 am |
    • Ross White, Canada

Good point actually. I would never join a club of any kind either. I'm just tired (very tired) of having the bible thumpers constantly pushing their nonsense on those who don't believe the things they do.

Hey, Christians... LEAVE ME ALONE

March 24, 2013 at 9:55 am |
    • Shawn

The problem is, if Atheists remain divided individuals, we will continue to be discriminated against. Behind gays, we are the #1 discriminated minority in America. Be thankful Stiefel and those like him exist, or you would be even further marginalized.

March 24, 2013 at 10:06 am |
    • Ryan

I couldn't disagree more with Shawn. I don't think that discrimination against atheists is so rampant that an atheist wearing a hoodie or playing loud music outside a convenience store would be shot out of fear, for example, and I think claiming that atheists are victims is unproductive. In fact, really sadly, it's Christianity that has historically proselytized an ideal of being the noble victim of ignorant repression–of being a "martyr" for some higher cause. Privileged white people misconstrue themselves as victims when someone speaks up and disagrees with them, as if disagreement were the same thing as persecution. I don't think we're well-off imitating that; in fact, I think we'd do well to get rid of that self-aggrandizing obsession as a society. I'm not sure if I would join an atheist group or not, but I can think of several different reasons to do so:

– Finding a group of people with shared beliefs can create a sense of community and mutual support

– Increasing visibility of a supportive group may help others to come to terms with their own doubts

– Responding to the claim that only the religious are compelled to act for social good requires action, not just words

There are likely others as well, but martyrdom is not one of them.

March 24, 2013 at 10:33 am |
    • TOOZX5

You cannot prove that Zeus doesn't exist either. So what? Does that then mean he may exist too? You can disprove specific religious claims in regard to nature since nature is testable.

March 24, 2013 at 11:50 am |
  17. Shawn

From all the comments from religious people on here, it is quite obvious that Stiefel's fight to end discrimination against Atheists is far from over.

You people coming in here to post comments about how Atheists are going to Hell is like an Atheist coming into a church and flipping off the cross. You invent yourselves as a victim whenever Atheists simply show that they exist.

March 24, 2013 at 9:51 am |
  18. shiststone

SOOOO Glad that Mr. Stiefel is using his fortune and energy to organize the atheist movement! We need more like him to combat the religious nut cases that have mislead the human race for far too long!

March 24, 2013 at 9:50 am |
  19. Dan Roper

If it wasn't for the assertions put forth by religion, there would be no need for Atheism. We simply choose not to believe that which you propose.

March 24, 2013 at 9:50 am |
  20. stayinalive

Just another wacko group no different than religious cults. Some guy who knows how to make money but clearly doesn't know how to spend it.

March 24, 2013 at 9:50 am |