home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. atheist Realism

I too was a catholic,, a child sodomized by priests and a diocese who sent down their goons to threaten. Yep, at age 8.

Today I see the catholics calling us liars and fighting laws that would expose the truth to help the many children victims. I see them deflect with statements as others do it rather than setting the example on helping. I see other christians not standing for victims and their allowing the catholic church have their way in the continued destruction of already destroyed lives.

This is religion and belief? No doubt it's nothing more than a bunch of people off on a selfish salvatiot reality.n trip unable to accep

March 24, 2013 at 11:09 am |
    • atheist Realism

This is religion and belief? No doubt it's nothing more than a bunch of people off on a selfish salvation trip unable to accept reality destroying others along their path.

March 24, 2013 at 11:11 am |
  2. Ted

American Atheist is described as the "most-in-your-face Atheist group in the country". Hmm... when was the last time you heard ANY Christian or other religious group described in this way? Not sure that even the Krishna's, Mormon's or even Westboro ever earn this type of designation. In my lifetime I have been approached regularly by believers readyand wiling to spout all kinds of offensive garbage my way. I am not sure I have ever been physically present where an Atheist started an argument with a Christian. I know it happens, but this kind of reporting screams of the kind of unknowing bias that reporters often have when reporting on a minority group who is being repressed. Black Panthers and NOW get in-your-face not Klansmen.

March 24, 2013 at 11:08 am |
    • taxasjimbob

Almost all christians I meet are "in your face" about it. After years of listening to their mythological tales and flawed logic I now refuse to debate the issue unless they agree up front to accept the possibility that I might be right and they might be wrong. No use even taliking to someone who's mind is closed to new ideas.

March 24, 2013 at 11:19 am |
  3. Joe_ma

FAMOUS ATHEIST..

When we hang the capitalists they will sell us the rope we use.

Joseph Stalin

HA ha ha ha... What a sick mind of an Atheist.

March 24, 2013 at 11:07 am |
    • Alex R

I could list every theist in history that has been responsible for mass murder, but I don't have all week.

March 24, 2013 at 11:10 am |
    • atheist Realism

Stalin thought he was a god,, dictators and religion, the same

March 24, 2013 at 11:12 am |
    • Draax

Stalin was an atheist? Interesting considering he was named after saint joseph and was the product of a seminary. In addition, although he did make a large effort to remove religion, in order to gain power, he actually reinstated the Russian orthodox church once he was firmly in power.

March 24, 2013 at 11:18 am |
    • taxasjimbob

Stalin and Hitler were the products of christian upbringings. Why do christians choose to simply deny that all the evil they have caused throughout history did not happen?

March 24, 2013 at 11:22 am |
  4. ggman

I would get a different picture! At first glance I thought it was Justin Timberlake! ROFL. Plus I like how CNN sugar coats this guy.."Went into the family business of fighting skin diseases" Translation- rich boy that owns a pharmaceutical company for God know, no pun intended, what they pushed to get rich.

March 24, 2013 at 11:06 am |
    • RichardSRussell

Yeah, when he COULD have been making his money the old-fashioned way, the way the televangelists do it, by bilking senile grandmas out of their Social Security checks with steady demands for "love offerings".

March 24, 2013 at 11:11 am |
  5. wut?!?

This guy is just milking the cash cow, but he won't get a cent of my money. I'm a devout Atheist and make no excuses or apologies to anyone. Don't like it, fu** off!

March 24, 2013 at 11:06 am |
  6. Jim

The biggest challenge facing atheism is that many atheists are not content to just "come out," but feel a need to attack their religious neighbors. Imagine how far gay marriage would go if gay advocates talked about how stupid straight people were.

March 24, 2013 at 11:06 am |
    • Junger

*citation needed.

March 24, 2013 at 11:17 am |
    • Moby Schtick

Most atheists don't do as you assume, and it's not the biggest problem facing atheism by a long shot.

March 24, 2013 at 11:19 am |
  7. Jack

He went to Duke University. He inherited the "family business". And now he's on a quest to promote atheism? Really? Use your time and money in better ways dude.

March 24, 2013 at 11:05 am |
    • Ghia

Since you think something else would be a better use of his money, he should therefor listen to you?????

March 24, 2013 at 11:13 am |
  8. lancesackless

Yawn...another schmuck with money pushing his own ideals. He must be best buds with Bloomberg

Atheism the next civil right?!?!? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!

Hey, that's why I like the 1st Amendment: You have every right to speak up on what you are passionate about...no matter how asinine it is. I may not agree with the statement, but I'll defend your right to say it.

But seriously...thanks for the laugh. Atheism...next civil right like GLBT...*snicker*. Yeah, the slaves in olden times would sing their Atheist hymns in the fields. *giggle* Typical looney lib.

March 24, 2013 at 11:05 am |
    • RichardSRussell

THe slaves in the fields were fed Christianity to keep them humble and compliant till they could get their "pie in the sky bye and bye".
      It worked wonderfully well, too, because the Bible is riddled with approval of slavery and admonitions to be subservient to your masters.
      As Sam Harris remarked, "As a source of objective morality, the Bible is one of the worst books we have. It might have been the very worst, in fact — if we didn't also happen to have the Koran."

March 24, 2013 at 11:09 am |
  9. RichardSRussell

OK, the 5 minutes are up since I publicly mocked God on this forum by calling him a fraud and a phony.
    Some true believer claims "God will not be mocked", but I did it successfully.
    Just because HE was wrong doesn't prove that God doesn't exist, of course.
    But it does prove the guy doesn't know what he's talking about on THIS score.
    So what are chances he's got the rest of the fable right?

Again, God, ptui, I spit in your non-existent face. I mock you.
    But not as much as I mock your willfully blind and deaf followers.
    Really, people, if God existed, wouldn't it be obvious?

March 24, 2013 at 11:05 am |
    • lancesackless

Wanna know the best thing about Christopher Hitchens?

He's dead. 😀

March 24, 2013 at 11:06 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Hey, Lance – although Hitchens is, in fact, dead, his works, and words live on. In that limited sense, he is, in fact, immortal. Hundreds of years from now he will be revered as one of the intellectual giants that helped drag the human race, kicking and screaming, into the light and away from millennia of supersti-tious religious tripe.

So, have YOU done anything that will grant YOU such a legacy, hundreds of years after you are dead?

March 24, 2013 at 11:18 am |
    • donna

Lance, I just bought The God Delusion last week. Does that mean that he's actually still alive??????

March 24, 2013 at 11:38 am |
  10. MTD

I don't believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny; however, I don't feel the need to spend millions to prove my point those who may. This guy needed to be hugged more as a child.

March 24, 2013 at 11:05 am |
    • RichardSRussell

The followers of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny aren't spending billions to convince you of their existence, either, or oppress you if you scoff at them.

March 24, 2013 at 11:06 am |
    • MTD

Richard, then just ignore them.

March 24, 2013 at 11:08 am |
  11. Red

Money, money, money. That's all I saw in this dude after reading the article.

March 24, 2013 at 11:05 am |
  12. Luke

Why would Atheism need a 'money man' – if you don't believe in God and think religion is a lot of hooey, why would it bother you that other people do believe? – if religion doesn't mean anything to you, what difference does it make what other people believe? – I don't want atheists trying to force their beliefs on me any more than I want religious people forcing their beliefs on me – I 'm an independent with no real denomination and I'm not a fan of organized religion – I have never understood hating somebody because of what religion they are, it doesn't matter to me what religion a person is, and I doubt it matters much to God – but I do believe in God and even though my feelings are complicated, they are my feelings and I don't want Atheists telling me what to think any more than I want religious people telling me what to think – my beliefs are my own.

March 24, 2013 at 11:04 am |
    • 633music

You see, just like the "God" stores that sell religion, atheists have gotten in on the fleecing of the sheep act as well!

March 24, 2013 at 11:06 am |
    • JT

Notice how you're bunching us all into one group and saying how our "doctrine" is to hate religious people. Not even close.

March 24, 2013 at 11:08 am |
    • wut?!?

Atheists aren't trying to tell you what to believe in, they're merely trying to get you to use your head a little and realize that you're praying to and worshipping something that simply doesn't exist. Churches bilk people out of billions of dollars a year selling their snake oils . . . Atheists are only trying to save you money in this unpredictable economy. Everyone likes money don't they?

March 24, 2013 at 11:22 am |
  13. Surthurfurd

This is a good reason to state one is agnostic. Let them argue on the side and focus on the important issues based on degrees of proof not degrees of badgering.

March 24, 2013 at 11:04 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

Agnostic defines knowledge not belief. You can be an agnostic theist or an agnostic atheist.

March 24, 2013 at 11:19 am |
  14. 633music

No matter how much "evidence" I am shown, I still do not believe in atheists...

March 24, 2013 at 11:04 am |
    • Junger

That is the dumbest statement I've read today.

March 24, 2013 at 11:13 am |
    • mesamick

Oh, so your a republican I see.

March 24, 2013 at 11:13 am |
    • 633music

Exactly.

March 24, 2013 at 11:29 am |
  15. pie

Nobody would care about you god believing religious people, except you keep trying to run my world too.

March 24, 2013 at 11:03 am |
    • mesamick

The sooner the fantasy and delusion that there is some kind of a supreme being mastering over the universe and manuplating the very most minute details of each living human being on earth has been eliminated...the sooner we will have a fair, just and rational life experience on this planet.

March 24, 2013 at 11:12 am |
  16. Brian S

So, where are all the atheist charity groups out there? Are they too busy putting up billboards and youtube videos, like they have some kind of inside information on our place in the universe? All those irritating Christians with their bake sales and collecting clothes for the needy. They must be stopped!

March 24, 2013 at 11:03 am |
    • Junger

Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, any secular charity groups...

March 24, 2013 at 11:09 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Doctors without Borders ...

March 24, 2013 at 11:11 am |
    • Unintelligent Designer

Doctors without borders (secular), Peace Corps (secular)...

March 24, 2013 at 11:11 am |
    • Bob Carlson

Atheist Charities like the American Red Cross, UNICEF, Planned Parenthood USA, Doctors Without Borders, Direct Relief International, and many many more. Educate yourself and just Google Atheist Charities. They do exist and they do good things.

March 24, 2013 at 11:11 am |
    • Steve

There are a few "atheist charity" groups out there, but mostly there are atheist philanthropists, including several billionaires whose names you would recognize. They don't plaster the word "atheist" all over their charitable works, because, to them, what matters is results, rather than who gets the credit.

March 24, 2013 at 11:12 am |
    • JT

Bill Gates is an Atheist and he's almost done eradicating Malaria in Africa...

March 24, 2013 at 11:15 am |
    • Jeesh

Brian S
      Charities that sell their BS along with what aid they give out have a hidden agenda. For example the little muther bi-tch Teresa used the money that came in to build an empire not help the suffering, get real.

March 24, 2013 at 11:21 am |
  17. Alicia

I respect people for their convictions being a Christian and I always tell them that, if they are 100% grounded and comfortable in their belief, nothing I say or do will convince them otherwise.

This life is about choices and choice is all we have.

March 24, 2013 at 11:03 am |
    • stanley

"You have the right to your own opinions, but not your own facts."
      I agree completely that close-minded people are never going to change their minds. That's why you don't target close-minded people; you target open-minded people willing to learn something new. It's the same strategy that Obama and Romney used in the recent election–target the swing states.

March 24, 2013 at 11:07 am |
  18. Tom

As usual, the most pathetic, illogical, immature comments are from our gullible, religious sub species....

March 24, 2013 at 11:02 am |
    • Mike

And for the record, a TRUE Christian believes in loving ALL their brothers and sisters. Too many use their religion as justification to "hate" others. That is not the act of a true Christian.
      We, as Christians, disagree with many people for many reasons but one thing that distinguishes a true Christian is that they continue to love that person no matter their beliefs.
      Only repentence and faith in God and his son Jesus Christ though will get you into Heaven. Good deeds won't do it alone.
      So if you're wrong in your belief that there is no God then I truly feel sorry for you becaue if I'm right then God will judge and you will be judged harshly. But maybe you're right, so go on thinking that way if you wish. Just don't criticize others for their beliefs simply because you are an unbeliever.

March 24, 2013 at 11:06 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

@ Mike – what if YOU're wrong??? Pascal's wager, my friend – there may be a god, and that god may HATE faith-types. Thenm you are SOL!

March 24, 2013 at 11:10 am |
    • Junger

Pascal's wager, Tom. Look it up.

March 24, 2013 at 11:11 am |
    • stanley

So YOU personally love non-believers. Do you think your God does? According to your own words:

"Sure, but what if YOU are wrong? Enjoy the heat brother because that is what awaits you."

It seems that He doesn't. By contrast, what if YOU are wrong? The worst that will happen to you is...nothing. You'll waste some time on a myth, but no atheist will try to intimidate you with an atheist hell or an atheist psychopathic god. The fact that atheists are winning on the basis of reason, and Christians are losing even with intimidation, shows how weak the Christian case really is.

March 24, 2013 at 11:11 am |
    • Paul

You can't just make yourself believe something if you can't support it. I can't believe 1 = 2 or that the sky is red, I don't care if you say you will torture me I wouldn't be able to actually believe it. No matter what I won't be able to make myself believe it.

If you only say you believe in god because you are scared of what might happen if you don't, guess what you don't actually believe in god.

March 24, 2013 at 11:24 am |
  19. Dana

Here is one of many great reasons to not believe in that magical nonsense.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHbYJfwFgOU&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2013 at 11:02 am |
    • DJP

Quite the unfortunate possition Bill Nye is taking. Believing in evolution is at least as irrational and makes life complicated as believing in God and his creation. Each require us to leave certain questions as unanswered. However with evolution we are asked to believe in a giant multi billion year set of virtually impossible coinciidences and base our belief of life on that.

March 24, 2013 at 11:12 am |
    • Richard Cranium

At least evolution has huge volumes of evidence to support it. More added every day.

Not one shred of evidence showing any of the thousands of gods men have created for himself.

March 24, 2013 at 11:16 am |
    • JT

@DJP Do you even know what evolution is?

March 24, 2013 at 11:19 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

@ DJP – Oh, that science thing again! Not to be trusted! Oh, now how is it that you can communicate your thoughts, and read the thoughts of others, from all over the world, instantaneously? Hmmmm – science? Yeah, and that law of gravity – that's some crazy stuff as well. Since we don;t know 100% everything about it, we better let the religitards teach their theory of "God's sticky invisible goo keeps people on the world"

March 24, 2013 at 11:23 am |
    • Moby Schtick

DJP, you should take college classes to learn about evolution. Your misunderstanding of it causes you to make statements that prove your ignorance. Don't stay stupid.

March 24, 2013 at 11:23 am |
    • DJP

Well apparently evolution has evolved into some other concept recently. As far as the science comment of course science exists and explains the world around us. Diverting the discussion in that fashion does not prove your point it mearly distracts from the discussion.

March 24, 2013 at 2:29 pm |