home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. are122

Swear there ain't no heaven and pray there ain't no hell...but ONLY your dying will tell. Do we have a spirit that will exist beyond death or are we equivalent to roaches that in the grand scheme of time only exist for a meaningless moment to reproduce and disappear unremembered in eternity? Until you die skeptics and speculators, no matter what you say, you will never really know.

March 24, 2013 at 11:23 am |
    • tony

What about all those who swore to come back to their loved ones?

March 24, 2013 at 11:24 am |
    • Rob Johnson

I firmly believe in life after death, but I also believe that the standard Heaven/Hell mythology is nothing more than transparent propaganda designed to keep the sheep in line.

As the article says, just because somebody doesn't buy in to mainstream Christianity doesn't mean they believe in nothing.

March 24, 2013 at 11:36 am |
  2. eclectic8

You can't disprove the existence of God. Even the big name atheist authors admit the possibility of God's existence.

March 24, 2013 at 11:22 am |
    • Gadflie

That's funny, pretending that the logical fallacy "negative proof" is actually evidence. Or are you saying that you truly believe that leprechauns possibly exist?

March 24, 2013 at 11:26 am |
    • tony

In the same probability as winning every lottery that ever happens

March 24, 2013 at 11:27 am |
    • atheist Realism

and you can't disprove the existence of the boggy man. Guess the boggy man exists with your logic.

March 24, 2013 at 11:27 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

So? The onus is on the person who says that god exists. prove that god exists. What evidence do you have. Atheists simply say, we have not seen any proof that would lead one to conclude that a god exists. Show us sufficient relevant reliable credible evidence and we will believe.

So, bring the evidence.

Ummm, still waiting......

March 24, 2013 at 11:27 am |
    • SixDegrees

And, once again, we have a demand for a negative proof – recognized as a fallacy for centuries, by the church no less, and forbidden in any court of law for the same reason.

It is up to those making positive claims to provide positive evidence of their claims. It is NOT the responsibility of the skeptic to prove their assertions wrong.

March 24, 2013 at 11:36 am |
  3. masonshew

As an atheist, I think it's important to make society aware of my perspective without beating anyone over the head with it. The relational, "get to know us" approach is working wonders for the LGBT community. Militaristic, angry rants are only going to turn people away. It really is all about making connections with people, and giving them the opportunity to relate to your perspective on a personal level.

Having said that, I think billboards and other marketing tactics can be used as the vehicle to provoke thought within a community. They can also be used to generate resentment. Bees, honey, vinegar and all that.

March 24, 2013 at 11:22 am |
  4. The Problem with Miracles

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JI-0py-YQY&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2013 at 11:22 am |
  5. RichardSRussell

I mocked God. I still mock God.

I'm still here.

"God will not be mocked"? Ha!

God is a fraud. His followers try to be bullies by saying "My guy will beat you up", but the Big Guy never shows.

You'd think they'd learn, but no. Willful ignorance seems to be almost (heh) a religion with them.

March 24, 2013 at 11:21 am |
    • tony

You can't argue with a dead leader.

March 24, 2013 at 11:22 am |
  6. the AnViL™

Christian7 ignorantly asked: "By what means do you know there is not life after death? You know everything and are incapable of error?"

it's called biophysics and thermodynamics.

when you cut off the oxygen to the brain, the neurons which comprise you, your memories...etc. decay and die.

when the brain dies – the biochemical energy which powered those neurons obeys the laws of thermodynamics and "flows downhill", dissipating out into the surrounding system.

there is no mechanism to cause all that energy to remain coherent. it spreads out into the surrounding system – like smoke from a blown-out candle, never to be reassembled again – for eternity.

there are no "souls".

the flat fact of the matter is – when we die – that's it. we silently and finally meet oblivion... forever.

the good news is – when you die – you will have no knowledge of the fact – as the organ you once used to know things with will no longer exist.

there simply is no afterlife. after life – there is only death.

deal with it.

March 24, 2013 at 11:21 am |
    • Alex R

Why even bother leaving a scientific response, they'll just post a Bible quote to rebut you. Blind belief in ancient books makes me sad.

March 24, 2013 at 11:25 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

shhhhhhhhhhh, you'll ruin the delusion...without that belief this entire next week holds no meaning for them....remember they live for death 😉

March 24, 2013 at 11:25 am |
    • Face-Palm

Everything you said is true. However, let’s set that aside. As a fellow Atheist, I ask if you really think truth matters at all for these people. There is no amount of truth that can penetrate the willfully ignorant mind that buries itself in the sand by choice.

March 24, 2013 at 11:33 am |
    • the AnViL™

you guys are no fun!

March 24, 2013 at 11:37 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

Face-Palm: It's almost a willful ignorance. I know some amazingly intelligent christian's but when it comes to their belief, there is no breaking it, no matter how much information you provide them with. Having lived in small towns and huge cities, I've noticed that with exposure comes differing views...so if you're not exposed to a differing view, you're not likely to change your stance....I believe that this is changing due to the explosion of mass media. There are definite risks with coming out as an Atheist for some people. For some people they hold on and pretend due to the risk of losing family, friends, in some cases employment. There are clergy out there who don't believe but yet stay due to this being the only life they know....they risk losing an income; they risk family...the same things we risk. Check out clergyproject.org

March 24, 2013 at 11:43 am |
  7. tony

The ninth commandment is the proof that judaism and christianity are based solely on foolish circular reasoning- and nothing else.

March 24, 2013 at 11:20 am |
  8. theVenetian

The article's author typifies the level of ignorance prevalent in the worshippers crowd. By calling atheism a "religious movement" he shows his utter lack of understanding of the word "religion" which is :" The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods." Fans of imaginary sky Daddies will do anything it seems to discredit a philosophical movement which opposes everything they stand for by lumping them with their own kind. It's desperate and patheti

March 24, 2013 at 11:20 am |
  9. me

Just a thought. Why can't we all believe what we want, without taking the rights of others? Is the Nativity scene or the Mennorah that offensive? Why must a simple Cross be removed because it offends a few? Doesn't our Country face bigger issues than where the Ten Commandments are placed or where a Mennorah is placed? I thought we were allowed Religious freedom. Having to remove these items doesn't sound like Freedom to me. Personally, I don't care what other's believe in, it's not my call. I have my beliefs, you have your's. Why must there be a right and wrong?

March 24, 2013 at 11:20 am |
    • tony

It gets our children killed in false wars.

March 24, 2013 at 11:21 am |
    • atheist Realism

it begins with stopping childhood brainwashing. In the end, we will have a more loving and compassionate society/world

March 24, 2013 at 11:21 am |
    • SixDegrees

Because our nation is founded on the principle that NO religion will rule through the power of the state. How do you think a Muslim would feel, walking into a courtroom with the 10 commandments plastered on the wall behind his judge? How would you feel, in the same situation, encountering a judge with quotes from the Koran prominently displayed in his court?

If you don't see a problem with this, you seriously need to sit down and give it some deep thought.

March 24, 2013 at 11:22 am |
    • Unintelligent Designer

You can display religious symbols on private property. To the best of my knowledge, no one is trying to take that right away.

March 24, 2013 at 11:30 am |
  10. Pope Benedict XVI

Sign me up !

March 24, 2013 at 11:19 am |
  11. tony

The collection plate is absolute proof on god's non-existance.

March 24, 2013 at 11:19 am |
  12. Thomas Jefferson

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth.

March 24, 2013 at 11:19 am |
  13. BlackDynamiteNYC

This guy was way too smart, and asked too many questions to fall for religion.
    The more questions you ask, the more feeble the answers get.
    Religion is great for people who would rather not think for themselves too much.

This guy is no sheep. The Force is strong with this one......
    BD

March 24, 2013 at 11:18 am |
  14. JGN

Well Joe ma, capitalism and communism being political systems and atheism being a belief system you are rather mixing your metaphors there.
    I am an outspoken atheist but I have to say that this rich ex-catholic who posts all the billboards is really not a very effective atheist; he's still reacting to his catholicism, rather than moving on in my opinion. Ted is correct, there are so many religious groups 'in your face' during every holiday (yes, don't forget the real meaning is 'holy day') and often selling religion at your own front door, but I really do not believe it's necessary for atheists to take on some of those odious characteristics in order to 'fight back'. Reason IS what fights back, and being reasonable means letting others hold their own beliefs no matter how ridiculous they seem to you. The exception is when those beliefs harm others, so yes I am fully supportive of the ousting of pedophiles in the catholic churches and making damn sure our leaders in this country are not at least fanatically religious so that they can more easily relate to the rest of the world. The billboards I do not find heartening however. Fanaticism in ANY guise has too many ulterior motives stacked up beside it. This guy should know this if he really did use his reason.

March 24, 2013 at 11:18 am |
  15. Takaonna

@Alex R : yes because you know the spanish crusades weren't a big mass murder... Also assuming because you beleave in a higher power that has no proof of existing makes people not want to kill mass amounts of people and Stallin was a nut job Hitler was a christian just keep going back and forth from here...

March 24, 2013 at 11:18 am |
  16. openminded19

to MO – we do not fear God for he, it, she, does not exist. You have your beliefs, I have my nonbeliefs.

March 24, 2013 at 11:18 am |
  17. Face-Palm

The golden rule…

Why is it that the oppressed Atheists are more in line with the Golden Rule than the Religious?

Just look below and read the hateful bile of the Religious compared to the measured kindness of the Atheists.

March 24, 2013 at 11:16 am |
  18. atheist Realism

I find it interesting that on religious articles, the believers use passages in their arguments when attacked. On atheist articles, atheists use common sense and logic in their arguments when attacked.

My guess, if their were a god, these believers would be an insult to the intelligence he gave them.

March 24, 2013 at 11:16 am |
  19. Luis Wu

Christianity, like all religions, is nothing more than ancient mythology, written thousands of years ago by members of a primitive society in an effort to explain existence and comfort people in the face of their mortality. I've read both the old and new testaments cover to cover. I've read many other religious texts as well. They're all just ancient mythology from primitive cultures, nothing more. Period.

When I look around, I don't see a god flying around in a cloud or pillar of fire, I don't see sticks turning into snakes, I don't see rivers turning to blood or wine, seas parting, etc. etc. If that stuff was real and happened then, it would be happening now. I don't see miracles happening, all I see is a lot of ignorant people blindly accepting ancient mythology as fact, while rejecting modern scientific knowledge. If people would use their brains for a change, THINK about it using logic, reason and objectivity, then they would understand that it's just old myths. It's just so utterly obvious.

What religion you are is mostly determined by where you were born and which mythology you’ve been indoctrinated with since birth. That right there should tell you it’s not real.

All the gods that have been worshipped throughout history would fill 10 football stadiums, but of course everyone believes that THEIRS is the only one that’s real. It’s just all so stupid.

March 24, 2013 at 11:16 am |
    • Willy L

René Descartes was a great philosopher who believed in reason and objectivity. He said "Cogito Ergo Sum". He believed in God and prove His existence. Did you read Descartes Mr Luis?

March 24, 2013 at 11:37 am |
  20. Heather

All intelligent people are atheists. Religious people are just stupid sheep who need the crutch of blind faith to get through life.

March 24, 2013 at 11:16 am |