home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. YouMayDisagree

I have kids, trust me if god exist she is a 5 year old girl, that is my only logic explanation for the world we live in...that or quantum mechanics.

March 24, 2013 at 11:32 am |
    • Ralph_in_FL

My guess would be Cthulhu on PCP.

March 24, 2013 at 11:38 am |
  2. atheist Realism

I find it interesting that a god took six days to create the universe and rested on the seventh.

Seems he forgot to clean up, leaving all those comets and meteors flying around. Guess he's not that perfect after all.

March 24, 2013 at 11:32 am |
  3. Thomas Paine

As to the Christian system of faith, it appears to me as a species of Atheism – a sort of religious denial of God. It professes to believe in a man rather than in God. It is a compound made up Chiefly of Manism with but little Deism, and is an near Atheism as twilight is to darkness. It introduces between man and his Maker an opaque body, which it calls a Redeemer, as the moon introduces her opaque self between the earth and the sun, and it produces by this means a religious, or an irreligious eclipse of light. It has put the whole orbit of reason into shade.

March 24, 2013 at 11:31 am |
    • atheist Realism

man is not the center of the universe,,even though the popes used to tell us they were. Man is purely incidental,,

March 24, 2013 at 11:34 am |
    • Junger

WAT

March 24, 2013 at 11:34 am |
  4. 633music

No matter how much "evidence" I am shown, I still do not believe in atheists...funny!

March 24, 2013 at 11:30 am |
    • Unintelligent Designer

That's too bad, because your approval means so much to me.

March 24, 2013 at 11:32 am |
    • Gadflie

Still straining at fleas and swallowing camel's eh?

March 24, 2013 at 11:32 am |
    • NickZadick

and I don't believe that you really believe that your club will get you to spend an eternity in fairyland in the sky!

March 24, 2013 at 11:32 am |
    • Moby Schtick

It makes me happy when stupid people describe their stupid reasons for not agreeing with the perspective I hold.

March 24, 2013 at 11:33 am |
    • 633music

Great arguments....but still lacking...sorry, still do not believe...

March 24, 2013 at 11:34 am |
    • 633music

I think atheists should be called angryists, I mean...if they really existed...but they do not.

March 24, 2013 at 11:37 am |
    • 633music

Bible and religion aside, evolution is a fairytale without equal, just a ridiculous notion. Get a new religion guys, this one is broken.

March 24, 2013 at 11:39 am |
    • Moby Schtick

I don't want you to disbelieve, 633. I want stupid people to be god believers. I only want intelligent people to be atheists.

Don't stop.......believin'....Holy on to that fee--eee--eeelin'

March 24, 2013 at 11:43 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Just because you think evolution is a lie does not make your belief therefore true.

March 24, 2013 at 11:53 am |
  5. Prehistoric shark captured on film

CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP goes the bible

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mneDhOtVEQw&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2013 at 11:30 am |
    • Thai Researchers Discover 100-Million-Year-Old Crocodile Fossile

THE FAIRY A FOSSIL YET?

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwD_hjq_V7U&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2013 at 11:38 am |
  6. Javier Mercado

It's a shame the catholic church with it's strict, but useless rituals, ruined this guy's chance to meet the real Jesus. All he had to do was study the Bible (which the catholic church does not do) and he would have seen how all the prophesies have been fulfilled up to the next one coming: the return of Jesus for his church. When he gets left behind with the rest of the non-believers, how will he explain this? It's a shame that the road he choose and those who blindly follow him will take them straight to hell for eternity.

March 24, 2013 at 11:30 am |
    • tony

He probably looked at the heavens for signs as god said to do in Genesis 1:14, and saw none, except astrophysics.

March 24, 2013 at 11:32 am |
    • Gadflie

You need to read it again kid, the single prophesy that Jesus repeated and paraphrased the most often did NOT come true before the specific deadline that he set. False prophet indeed!

March 24, 2013 at 11:33 am |
    • Keith

Many of us that only found hate and shame in the church you call the truth have found solace in the Catholic Church.

More of us that have attended college know that the "Bible" which was created by the "Catholic Church" doesn't contain all the truth and it is not the inspired word of "God" but the words of fallible men.

Your judgment of others would lead me to believe that your brand of "Christianity" is a detriment to love and cooperation of mankind.

March 24, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
  7. MandoZink

Theists would benefit highly from a comprehensive lesson on the history of mythologies. By the way, here's my take on Pascal' Wager:

1. Line up all of the gods that man has had since we started plugging the gaps of our ignorance with myths.
    2. Notice there are thousands.
    3. Pick one, knowing the odds are you are doomed!
    4. Now cheat and pick all of them.

Oh darn. It's God's lottery. He'll make you stop after number 3.

March 24, 2013 at 11:29 am |
  8. mike from iowa

How about the fact that this god has never returned. 2,000 years waiting for Jesus. What's the plan? What kind of leader keeps it's followers in the dark, unproductive, confused, killing each other? Seriously, if you can believe there is a god behind religion, then you are delusional.

March 24, 2013 at 11:28 am |
    • tony

There is no detectable of evidence so far of a god's interference in the Universe running itelf for the last 13.8 Billion years

March 24, 2013 at 11:31 am |
    • 633music

Good questions...if you really want the answer, all you have to do is ask.

March 24, 2013 at 11:31 am |
    • Bob Carlson

This bear repeating what I have already stated.

When one person is delusional, we call him insane, when multiple people are delusional, it is called religion.

March 24, 2013 at 11:33 am |
    • fisherjason

Exactly! An iphone app/updates would be good, a television commercial every now and then would be nice: "Hey everyone! It's me, God! ...Just thought I'd pop in and say hello, and remind everyone "thou shalt not kill"! Okay, got that? Just want to make sure I'm clear! NO KILLING! Okay, bye!!!

March 24, 2013 at 11:39 am |
  9. Dug

My neighbors have planted white croses on each side of their drive. On each in big letters is "He is risen", now THAT is truly "in your face".

March 24, 2013 at 11:27 am |
  10. Morality without God

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCovYF51qHE&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2013 at 11:27 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

well-said. I would like to read some posts of those who claim that you must have religion to have morality, or that the Abrahamic god is in any way moral.

March 24, 2013 at 11:34 am |
  11. BigSkyHumanist

Should we really care about what people do or do not believe in? People have all kinds of strange beliefs, but what those are is not important unless one acts on a belief that harms others. As a fan of Jefferson, I would like to remind people that religion is not the issue, except for those priests and preachers who think they can use political power to try and make people believe in their God.

But, that’s impossible. Those in power can make us do things against our will, but they can't make anyone believe in their God. That is freedom of conscious, that can’t be taken away. That is what the 1st amendment is about, not freedom of religion, but freedom of the mind.

March 24, 2013 at 11:27 am |
    • *

* conscience (not conscious)

March 24, 2013 at 11:55 am |
  12. Todd

Some one has posted that it is both arrogant and ignorant to say, "I know the truth." - how is it not arrogant and ignorant to say, "you cannot know the truth"? If some one cannot know the truth, isn't that a truth statement? Doesn't this undercut what is being said?

Another person said something to the effect that atheism is not organized. Isn't it the point being made by Todd Stiefel – atheists need to organize? Isn't disorganization or non-organization a basic tenet of being atheist?

March 24, 2013 at 11:27 am |
    • Moby Schtick

"Truth" is a difficult concept to deal with because it's not clearly defined. What is truth? –is a valid question because of the function of "truth" as we deal with it and use it.

Atheism is a lack of belief, and lacks in belief can be irrelevant or sometimes can act as a unifying factor. For example, people who don't believe in the Loch Ness Monster have little need to come together in unity. However, if a society started using belief in Nessie as a basis for laws and scheduling the work week and determining who could run and hold political office, then those non believers might want to get together and work towards some common goals.

Does that answer your questions?

March 24, 2013 at 11:31 am |
  13. Christian7

Alexander Polyakov (Soviet mathematician): "We know that nature is described by the best of all possible mathematics because God created it."

Paul Davies (British astrophysicist): "There is for me powerful evidence that there is something going on behind it all....It seems as though somebody has fine-tuned nature’s numbers to make the Universe....The impression of design is overwhelming."

"God created everything by number, weight and measure." - Issac Newton

"The rights of man come not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God" – John F Kennedy

March 24, 2013 at 11:26 am |
    • sjordan

Yes, great men can sometimes be wrong too. Thanks for pointing that out.

March 24, 2013 at 11:28 am |
    • tony

If you write lies or ignorance often enough, it gets to sound like the norm.

March 24, 2013 at 11:29 am |
    • Thomas Paine

March 24, 2013 at 11:30 am |
    • eclectic8

Thank you. These sound like some pretty reasonable people. That's why the faith vs reason argument is so false.

March 24, 2013 at 11:32 am |
    • Richard Cranium

Adding the OPINIONS of others does not add credibilty to the argument. They do not provide any evidence that there are any gods. They only point out their own beliefs.

Moot point.

March 24, 2013 at 11:33 am |
    • Christian7

sjordan, How did you verify that they were wrong? How do you show that the universe was not designed? Do you have any proof?

March 24, 2013 at 11:42 am |
    • Thomas Paine's assistant

Sorry, Richard, that was supposed to be a fresh post, not a reply to this one. Noted.

March 24, 2013 at 11:44 am |
    • Moby Schtick

Christian7, how can you believe in your god when you've not yet proved that the universe wasn't farted into existence by an invisible unicorn? If you haven't yet proved that the universe wasn't farted out of an invisible unicorn, get to work.

March 24, 2013 at 11:45 am |
  14. mike from iowa

You can't disprove the existence of an Invisible Flying Spaghetti Monster, so I am pretty sure one exists.

March 24, 2013 at 11:25 am |
    • eclectic8

lol. good luck with that.

March 24, 2013 at 11:27 am |
    • Bob Carlson

The Pastafarian way of life is the only true one!

March 24, 2013 at 11:28 am |
    • Christian7

You do not know that the Flying spaghetti monster exist because you can't prove that he does not exist; But it is illogical to say that the flying spaghetti monster does not exist if you lack the ability to search everywhere to verify that he does not exist. I do not know if the Flying spaghetti monster exists or not. I can say that I don't think he exists, but I am illogical if I say he does not exist, because it is impossible to know this.

March 24, 2013 at 11:31 am |
    • Christian7

You logic failed at the "so" part. You jumped to conclusions. That is illogical. You would have been far better off giving some the reasons why you think the flying spaghetti monster exists. Did he predict the future like the Bible did? IS there any reason to believe that he exists?

March 24, 2013 at 11:34 am |
  15. YouMayDisagree

What is the best and longest existing energy source in the universe? A neutron star that is a pulsar maybe? This is where we should look for alien intelligence, probably brains in jars all connected in a virtual network powered by the pulsar for gazillions of years and not traveling through space looking for earth, why would they? I wish I believed in god, in that case such nonsense and stupid thoughts would not cross my mind.

March 24, 2013 at 11:24 am |
  16. Jeff from Upstate

If you have doubt, look up Unitarian Universalism.

March 24, 2013 at 11:24 am |
    • Gadflie

I admit, the UU's are a fun group.

March 24, 2013 at 11:29 am |
    • Sunnysmom

UU's got me questioning the ridiculous notions of some organized religions, but definitely set me on the path of spirituality in the ways I believe to this day. I don't attend anymore but they were great.

March 24, 2013 at 11:37 am |
  17. atheist Realism

religion couldn't exist without fear,, Deny it's fear, you have the makings for a terrorist.

March 24, 2013 at 11:24 am |
  18. Thomas Jefferson

Whenever... preachers, instead of a lesson in religion, put [their congregation] off with a discourse on the Copernican system, on chemical affinities, on the construction of government, or the characters or conduct of those administering it, it is a breach of contract, depriving their audience of the kind of service for which they are salaried, and giving them, instead of it, what they did not want, or, if wanted, would rather seek from better sources in that particular art of science.

March 24, 2013 at 11:24 am |
  19. America

This guy and others like him are what is destroying the moral and cultural backbone of America. A little higher education and his family's money and all of a sudden he understands our being. Unfortunately a lot of people believe his BS... Just look at the sky and realize that it goes on forever and then tell me that we o not answer to a higher power that created us for a reason.

March 24, 2013 at 11:23 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Well, 'murica, no. Simply looking at the sky is not a reasoned basis for concluding that you have to answer to some "higher power".

March 24, 2013 at 11:25 am |
    • Gadflie

Sorry kid, your awe doesn't impress me as evidence of god.

March 24, 2013 at 11:25 am |
    • John Adams

The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses.

Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind.

March 24, 2013 at 11:25 am |
    • tony

Actually, that's what the massively funded, religious establishment does.

March 24, 2013 at 11:26 am |
    • buffalo

Okay. There is no bearded old grandpa guy waiting in the sky to judge you.

March 24, 2013 at 11:30 am |
    • Rob Johnson

The sky does not go on forever, and even if it did, that doesn't mean we were made by a God for a reason.

I'm actually more of a "spiritual but not religious" person myself, and not an atheist, but the kind of faulty logic employed in this post is exactly what drives many intelligent people away from organized religion.

March 24, 2013 at 11:32 am |
    • Chip Smith

Wow.

March 24, 2013 at 11:34 am |
    • Sunnysmom

I would argue it's judgements like yours in all forms that are destroying America.

March 24, 2013 at 11:40 am |
    • Sunnysmom

In case you need a scripture to get it...Luke 6:37 – “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven

March 24, 2013 at 11:43 am |
  20. tony

Religion still has it that the tsunamis were the work of a loving god

March 24, 2013 at 11:23 am |
    • atheist Realism

and hell the creation of a compassionate god

March 24, 2013 at 11:25 am |