home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. James

I believe in the Great Unicorn as supreme being. He has told me how to behave and how all others should behave. I challenge anyone to prove the Great Unicorn does not exist. He speaks to me daily. Plus, there are many many books that mention unicorns. Therefore, the Great Unicorn exists. If you do not worship the Great Unicorn you will be subjected to eternal goring when you die. All other beliefs are false! Praise the Unicorn!

March 24, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • Sense0326

The Great Unicorn is nothing more than a pagan myth. The Flying Spaghetti Monster is the only being worthy of our worship, for he has reached out his noodly appendage to touch the hearts of many. R'amen

March 24, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
    • Ralphco

Yah James it's already been done with the spaghetti monster thing.

March 24, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
  2. Christian7

The Soviets and Chinese communists were atheistic systems; they killed millions of their own citizens in peace time.

March 24, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • James

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

March 24, 2013 at 11:53 am |
    • tony

And where did the 1,000,000 Iraqi deaths go?

March 24, 2013 at 11:55 am |
    • psych ward staff

Repression of religion in communism by dictators is a terrible way to try to define atheism. Plus, it's silly to speak so broadly for the repressed populations of such regimes.

March 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • sam stone

they were also totalitarians, christian7....nice attempt at a strawman

March 24, 2013 at 1:23 pm |
  3. Alex R

Religion cheapens the natural wonder of the universe. I'm not amazed by Jesus or Allah, I'm amazed by the incomprehensibly vast universe that has existed for an incomprehensibly long time. I'm amazed that I am an aware organism capable of reflection and rational thought. I'm amazed that humans have conquered a planet. I'm amazed when I look up at the night sky and think of how much natural beauty there is in our universe. Science amazes me. When you try to say that God is responsible for that beauty and all that mankind has accomplished, you insult the universe itself. Why do we need man-made myths and monsters? Isn't what we have enough? I am in awe of the universe. It is far more amazing and wondrous than any deity conceived by man.

March 24, 2013 at 11:52 am |
  4. Zobby

I was an atheist long before I ever heard of this guy. I'm glad he is spreading the message but there is no "face of atheism". A not belief is not a belief or a religion. Just because I don't believe in Santa clause doesn't make mean im against Santa Claus. Some religions teach people important moral lessons, but they people reading them should also understand they are just inspirational fiction.

March 24, 2013 at 11:52 am |
  5. atheist Realism

I can see it now,, thousands of years ago, two aliens visited earth. One nudged the other, with laughter, and said 'want to play the jesus/god thing here too?'

March 24, 2013 at 11:51 am |
  6. Bostontola

Reading the comments it is sad to see so many arguments based on false assertions (e.g. Hitler was an atheist). I don't think these people are lying, they believe what they are saying.

What is sad, is that these arguments are propagated in churches and handed down in families. Many religious people think atheists go through life not seeing truth, but its really the other way around.

March 24, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • An Awesome Message from P.W. Swivel

People are People

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbD3Hlbvafo&w=640&h=360]

Thanks for watching.

March 24, 2013 at 11:56 am |
  7. Junger

There would be no need for this man to do anything if the religious didn't persecute Atheists.

March 24, 2013 at 11:51 am |
  8. Gary L. Wimmer, Master of Lithomancy

The debate over the existence of God goes on, but this athiest movement is a healthy response to the extremists of every religion who always insist that God is baised towards their point of view. With 7 billion people on th planet, there are 7 billion ways to see God... or not see God.

March 24, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • Doris

Padre Wimmer, or should we call you Pedra Wimmer?

March 24, 2013 at 11:53 am |
  9. Alex

Content to be a peaceful non-believer now...but more than ready and willing to become a militant atheist when the time comes!

March 24, 2013 at 11:49 am |
    • californiarestinpeace

People only become militant when they know they're wrong. So, don't do that. Keep an open mind. Nobody really has the answers to the secrets of existence or how we relate to the universe.....yet.

March 24, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
    • Alex

people become militant when the ignorant use beliefs instead of facts to persecute...

March 24, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
  10. atheist Realism

one thing proven over history,, religion and their believers are the last group anyone should listen to. Children especially.

March 24, 2013 at 11:49 am |
  11. edwardst35

A simple question for all of you simple YOUNG Atheists out there.......what came first, the chicken or the egg?

March 24, 2013 at 11:48 am |
    • Caleb

The egg, of course. Just because evolution via natural selection is too complicated for you to understand, it doesn't mean that it's not true.

March 24, 2013 at 11:49 am |
    • atheist Realism

you god was created by man.. oops, there you go

March 24, 2013 at 11:50 am |
    • tony

Was the wheel invented by rolling the first collection plate?

March 24, 2013 at 11:50 am |
    • Jeesh

Same question for the not fully brainwashed YOUNG Christians.

March 24, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • Zowi

The egg. Laid by a bird that was not a chicken.

March 24, 2013 at 11:55 am |
    • dave90210

Bacteria.

March 24, 2013 at 11:56 am |
    • Cyrus

The Egg- evolved into the Chicken

March 24, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
    • californiarestinpeace

The egg would have evolved first. Are you aware that some species of frog gave birth gastrically, or from the stomach and through the mouth?

March 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
  12. Ed

This man will burn forever for his sins.

March 24, 2013 at 11:48 am |
    • tony

Not unless we frack the oil sands

March 24, 2013 at 11:49 am |
    • Jeesh

Ed
      Preparation H.

March 24, 2013 at 11:49 am |
    • Junger

The beaty of not believing in this sadistic Christian god is that you don't have to live in fear of God...but you do have to live in fear of Christians.

March 24, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • Alex

"Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense." Voltaire

March 24, 2013 at 11:56 am |
    • God

Com on people, give me a break. My job doesn't end at 5 and I god 6 billion children.

March 24, 2013 at 11:56 am |
    • dave90210

Bring it on gawd. We're not ascared.

March 24, 2013 at 11:58 am |
    • totally

Sun burn?

March 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

Ed: Do you not see the immorality in that statement?? How is it you feel justified in wishing eternal torture on a fellow human? Does your god not teach to love another or does that only pertain to those foolish enough to idolize him?

March 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
    • Cyrus

Heaven and Hell is right here, right now on earth as we live. At best, we're fertilizer once we're dead. Stiefel seems to be in heaven right now doing some good. Be good for goodness sake, not for god or any organized religion... They (god & religion) might have been needed 1000 years ago, but not today.

March 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
    • Jim Brody

That's not for you to decide.

March 24, 2013 at 12:26 pm |
    • californiarestinpeace

A snake told him that.

March 24, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
  13. Bob Vulich

If there truly is no god, then forming an organization to stand against the beliefs of people who DO believe in this spurious being is like forming an organization against the beliefs of people who advance the idea of a fourth primary color. We KNOW a fourth primary color does NOT exist. If these atheists are correct in their beliefs that there is no god, shouldn't that be self evident for all to see. Why not just marginalize those who want to believe and move on? Why so much effort and resources to block a certain view? Almost sounds like a veiled challenge for this god to show himself.

March 24, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • tony

Lack of evidence of god is self-evident. Unfortunately, religious education is designed to mask that.

March 24, 2013 at 11:48 am |
    • YouMayDisagree

Because belief in god influences people's decisions which influences life's of others, that is the only reason atheists are looking for the truth.

March 24, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • chubby rain

The "fourth color" believers aren't trying to force their teachings into schools and politics. To paraphrase Gandhi, if more Christians were like the Christ they say they are following, I would have no trouble with that religion.

March 24, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • dave90210

I think most Atheists want people who choose to believe in silly religions to believe in those silly religions in their own places of worship and not in places like public schools. I am an atheist and have no problem with anyone who wants to set up camp in their church and go on a 24/7 endless prayerathon. Have at it. But keep it out of public schools and government etc.

March 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
  14. YouMayDisagree

Peter needed to see Jesus walk on water, Moses had to have a burning bush, yet all common people have to have a blind faith, sounds like a classic fraud to me.

March 24, 2013 at 11:46 am |
    • tony

Just send more money.

March 24, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • G to the T

Hell – Thomas even got to poke Jesus' wounds!

March 27, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
  15. kd

'If you don't understand something, and the community of physicists don't understand it, that means God did it? Is that how you want to play this game? If that's how you want to invoke your evidence of God, then God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller and smaller as time moves on.' – Neil deGrasse Tyson

March 24, 2013 at 11:45 am |
  16. 633music

No matter how much "evidence" I am shown, I still do not believe in atheists...really...
    And Bible and religion aside, evolution is a silly little fairytale without equal.

March 24, 2013 at 11:44 am |
    • Bob Carlson

You've mention this a number of times but I am not getting your point. Please elaborate.

March 24, 2013 at 11:46 am |
    • atheist Realism

yeah,, and 1 + 1 = 2 is just a delusion

March 24, 2013 at 11:46 am |
    • Science

It would be NICE......... but
      Maybe they should not have created the wedge !!!
      The wedge strategy is a political and social action plan authored by the Discovery Insti-tute, the hub of the intelligent design movement. The strategy was put forth in a Discovery Insti-tute manifesto known as the Wedge Docu-ment,[1] which describes a broad social, political, and academic agenda whose ultimate goal is to defeat materialism, naturalism, evolution, and "reverse the stifling materialist world view and replace it with a science consonant with Christian and theistic
      convictions.

Peace

Please watch what the Discovery Inst-itute is trying to prevent.......................... evolution

Thanks

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okWkmgkS00w&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • Gadflie

Preset your evidence against evolution. But, be warned, if you use a logical fallacy or misuse statistics, I'll embarrass you.

March 24, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • 633music

Creator or no, Evolution is not something we should put our faith in.

March 24, 2013 at 11:49 am |
    • 633music

Simple Creator or no, Evolution is not something we should put our faith in.

March 24, 2013 at 11:50 am |
    • Gadflie

633, why is that, other than it goes against the myth you believe in...

March 24, 2013 at 11:50 am |
    • Darwin

god is the silly little fairy tale. we have PROOF that evolution is real, what is your proof that god exists???

March 24, 2013 at 11:50 am |
    • Bob Carlson

@633music. Evolution is not based on faith as you state. Evolution is both a fact and theory based upon repeatable scientific findings. How can one ignore the facts presented and state they don't "believe" in it? Should God suddenly appear to me, I would then feel it strong enough to state God is a fact (assuming I'm not mentally deficient of course).

March 24, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • Science

To 633..................................... music you might want to read this ?

Dover Trial Transcripts............................................. FACTS.

Below are the complete transcripts from the Dover Trial. Thanks to our friends at the National Center for Science Education for helping us fill in the missing transcripts.

March 24, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • 633music

Darwin, you missed it...CREATOR or no...Evolution is a slily, silly, sad fairytale. Requires a great deal of credulity and faith...
      Its ok, just get another theory, because that one is broken...
      And really, that should not offend anyone here, as none of you concocted this nonsense..
      Reading some of the posts, I am SURE you can do better...

March 24, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • 633music

@Bob Carlson I have read the Evolution "Bible", I found it to be full of holes.

March 24, 2013 at 11:58 am |
    • 633music

@Science I find that to be like the fake preachers who say, the Bible is true, just look in the Bible...never offering REAL facts to support what they say...

March 24, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
    • Science

To 633 let us see if you can answer this ??

Was the bible around back then ?

Human Y Chromosome Much Older Than Previously Thought

Mar. 4, 2013 — The discovery and analysis of an extremely rare African American Y chromosome pushes back the time of the most recent common ancestor for the Y chromosome lineage tree to 338,000 years ago. This time predates the age of the oldest known anatomically modern human fossils.

No god(s) needed or required to graduate from public schools in the US

Remember : Adam had to POKE himself hard with his OWN BONE to create Eve.

March 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
    • 633music

@Science the Bible? Has nothing to do with Evolution being a real option of how life or anything else began...boring...uh..it was an accident....no mater how massively complex....uh...yea...just happened....uh....900 million years ago....

March 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • Science

In the beginning...

"...we have a viable theory of the universe back to about 10-30 seconds. At that time, the currently observable universe was smaller than the smallest dot on your TV screen, and less time had passed than it takes for light to cross that dot."
      -George F. Smoot, Winner of the 2006 Nobel Prize in Physics

Have a nice day

March 24, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
    • Tom LI

You don't believe in atheists? Really? Even if you met a real live one?

But you believe in a God, and that he sacrificed himself to himself, to pay a debt he didn't incur?

March 24, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
    • MUST SEE Creatard Pwnage Par Excellence

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QIrfxj02pQ&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
    • 633music

@Science Wow, was he there? Even if it is true, do you understand how much is left that is left unexplained? Over simplified squared...

March 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
    • 633music

@Tom LI Read the posts, God aside, evolution is silly...again, not trying to offend anyone's faith or beliefs, just do not buy the evolution bunk...

March 24, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
    • Shout-Out: logicked

LOGIC OVERLOAD FOR 633 ?

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns5pnPab29k&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
    • 633music

Again, no offense to anyone...you can believe as you so desire, but Evolution sounds like pseudo religious nonsense...

March 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
    • History Channel's "The Bible" Parts 3 & 4 - In Under 11 Minutes!

Good Stuff................................. 633 !

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTRn28iZD_g&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2013 at 12:19 pm |
    • 633music

Even if we think the "God's" of all the religions are absurd...how scientific is it to rule out that there may be a higher intellect somewhere?
      ANYONE who truly understands the basics of the make up of living things...as en example, knows that Evolution offers a childish explanation to how and WHY they came to be.
      Again though, not ONE of you here invented the notion of accidental life...so...you should not be offended by an alternate view.

March 24, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
    • 633music

Thank you, but I prefer not to watch the show...

March 24, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • Science

633 the mind what a trip !

Mind mapping NO GOD(S) REQUIRED !

Gone but Not Forgotten: Yearning for Lost Loved Ones Linked to Altered Thinking About the Future

Mar. 18, 2013 — People suffering from complicated grief may have difficulty recalling specific events from their past or imagining specific events in the future, but not when those events involve the partner they lost, according to a new study published in Clinical Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science.

Maybe the bible needs to be updated

Have a great day !

March 24, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
    • Prehistoric shark captured on film

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mneDhOtVEQw&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2013 at 12:35 pm |
    • 633music

@Science So, you think I believe you hate the Bible? I would only believe it I knew you truly understood it...inspired or not, much of it is brilliantly relevant, and beautiful. Your beliefs are perhaps inspired by the fake friends of the Bible...

March 24, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
    • Thai Researchers Discover 100-Million-Year-Old Crocodile Fossile

The fairy a fossil yet ?

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwD_hjq_V7U&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
    • californiarestinpeace

And now we know why and where the lake of fire myth originated. Still like to know where the devil got his horns and tail though.

March 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
  17. tony

Hey you Republicans!

Heaven is Socialism!!!!

March 24, 2013 at 11:44 am |
  18. Thai Researchers Discover 100-Million-Year-Old Crocodile Fossile

The FAIRY IN THE SKY A FOSSIL YET CREATIONISTS ?

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwD_hjq_V7U&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2013 at 11:44 am |
  19. mike from iowa

Consider the amoutn of damage that the ignorance of religion has caused your loved ones. Think how far behind in technology we are, from where we should be. It should be like "Star Trek" right now. Think how religion gave rise to the rift between Muslims, Jews and Christians. Religion fuels war, it is used for political power, it transfers money from the poor to the powerful, it retards progress, it displaces responsibility, it risks the future of humanity. End religion in our lifetimes.

March 24, 2013 at 11:44 am |
  20. Kyle

Trying to prove the existence of a god with a bible is trying to prove the existence of Superman with a comic book. One half will remain rational while the other half dream and hope in fairy tales. When conflicts between those different fairy tales causes death and destruction, those who think rationally have every right to claim THEIR existence and right to live peacefully. If that voice costs money to be heard, so be it.

March 24, 2013 at 11:43 am |
    • atheist Realism

yeah,, but superman was nice. He didn't threaten anyone with eternal damnation if they didn't believe in him

March 24, 2013 at 11:44 am |
    • el_incr

The very idea of eternal damnation has its foundation in the Bible. The should PROVE that a man didn't write that book. We, in our self centeredness, would've come up with that concept.

March 24, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • el_incr

Let me try that again; The very idea of eternal damnation has its foundation in the Bible. That should PROVE that a man didn't write that book. We, in our self centeredness, would NOT have come up with that concept.

March 24, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • Tom LI

to el-incr – uh, why not? Your logic makes no sense. If we humans were already blaming our allleged mistakes as transgressions and slights against the Gods – why wouldn't we think up eternal damnation? Humans have long been playing with the ideas of a "forever after" – and they predate the Xtian ideas. Forever-after was already a developed idea in the East before the Xtians borrowed it from their probable exposures to them on the many and diverse trade-routes in and out of the Middle East. Its very probable Jesus was exposed to them living with a tradesman carpenter father in a huge cross-roads of trade routes.

Oh, yeah, the Bible was not written, it was compiled – from a bunch of scattered proto-xtian manuscripts and a loose collection of Jewish ones specifically (OT). No ONE person wrote the Bible. Its new compared to the stories contained within it.

March 24, 2013 at 12:03 pm |