home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. Benny Hinn Hill

March 24, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
    • Benny Hinn Hill

March 24, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
  2. tony

HOLD THE PRESSES!!!

I think I'm just starting to have a vision.

March 24, 2013 at 12:18 pm |
  3. Josh-Wa

Atheism is a religion in the same way that "healthy" is a disease, or "not stamp collecting" is a hobby.

March 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
    • Keith

What?

March 24, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
    • Sense0326

Truth!!

March 24, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
    • atheist Realism

well said

March 24, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
    • .

Duh, Keith. It means atheism ISN'T a religion. Get a clue.

March 24, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
    • skytag

Seems to me that if atheism is a religion then so is not believing in Santa Claus or leprechauns.

March 24, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
  4. ELH

I do not consider myself an atheist however I do not believe in an omniscient being that in some way created the universe in which our insignificant little round rock exists.

The universe as we know it began with a stupendous release of energy, spewing every kind of sub-atomic and atomic particles outward an near the speed of light.. What was before this event, the 'Big Bang' is unknown and even if some theory were advanced, unprovable. I have faith that the Big Bang is why and how I am here.

In a like manner, believers cannot prove the existence of the Supreme Being, and must rely on faith alone–not truth, but faith.

March 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm |
    • Jeesh

ELH
      You are a modern day deist, good for you.

March 24, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
  5. Zobby

Man created all gods and deities, just as he created bugs bunny and mickey mouse.

The difference is people don't believe in bugs bunny and mickey mouse.

March 24, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
    • JesusChrist Son of God Son of Mary Brother to the Holy Ghost

I do, but I don't exist. Quite a paradox, isn't it.

March 24, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
  6. Mike

Religion simple definition...Belief. He has followers. Lots of money like churches. People follow him support him. Websites a rallies promoting his beliefs. Huh

March 24, 2013 at 12:12 pm |
    • tony

Beliefs like the Earth going round the Sun???

March 24, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
  7. Snuffles

All hail the Great Pumpkin!

March 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
    • Pumpkin Carving by Doris

You can easily make a lovely Charles Manson pumpkin for Halloween.
      It can also be Jesus, just tilt the "X" over the forehead up into a cross.
      [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h_T3EYCsKI&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm |
    • @OD

And no ma$turb@1ion allowed

March 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm |
    • All hail

Benny Hinn he cured my erectile dysfunction for good but I can't wear loose clothes.

March 24, 2013 at 12:18 pm |
    • Benny Hinn Hill

March 24, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
  8. dave90210

Gods, have always been CREATED by mankind and SERVE mankind to explain away the unexplainable. We had sun gods, moon gods, the stars were all gods, then we sent a man to the moon god and discovered it's just a rock, and the sun is just a star and now all the gods are gone. The only purpose god now serves is as a overly simple solution to two unanswerable questions. 1) How did we get here? 2) Since I think I should go on forever, how can I do that without creating a gawd?

March 24, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • tony

Well, we do now have "CELEBRITIES" . . . .. . . . Awesome!!!!!

March 24, 2013 at 12:12 pm |
  9. TC

Seems like most of troll atheists on the CNN forums could learn a thing or two from their funding sponsor

March 24, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
    • I Am God

Maybe you should look at some of your religious brethren's comments on here and you can probably see why.

March 24, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • tony

At least atheists learn.

March 24, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

You're here....shouldn't you be at church or somewhere worshiping your imaginary friend?

March 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
    • the AnViL™

TC ignorantly spittled: "Talk about throwing your money away. This guy could be helping the poor but instead he blows on trying to tell the atheist message to a world that doesn't."

and from the article:

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

maybe instead of pissing over troll atheists you should try reading the article so you don't look like such a massively ignorant tool on a national public forum.

just a suggestion, champ.

March 24, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
    • The Tortured

Know why ahtiests are trolls? I'll tell you why: Over one thousnad years of being tortured, beaten, executed, shunned, fired from jobs, mocked, ridiculed, damed to eternal hell, etc – for not believing in god. Your turn believers!

March 24, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  10. tony

Science is why you get the right change at the Supermarket.

Religion is why Churches give no change.

March 24, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
    • psych ward staff

March 24, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • Nicodemus Grumpschmidt

Bravo, Tony! And you'll never hear of any church saying any one follower overpaid. Ain't no such thing!

March 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm |
    • g2-b837363fe05d124be3384fdddef67d01

March 24, 2013 at 12:47 pm |
  11. Zobby

Human civilization is on the verge of a new era. We can only move toward by abandoning old mythological beliefs and trusting in science.

March 24, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
    • David Anderson

I always find it amusing when I hear an atheist say we should believe in science, not religion. Science is about evidence. Religion is about faith. They exist in different domains. Most of the great scientists have been God fearing men.

March 24, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Faith isn't a "different domain," it's just "believe because you want to believe because it makes you feel better." You can use faith to believe in anything, and that's why it's worthless as a DETERMINING factor.

March 24, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

"Most of the great scientists have been God fearing men." The modern trend has been otherwise. However, if the domain of faith and God is such that these things are never invoked to explain anything or solve any problems, then they are welcome to their own domain.

March 24, 2013 at 12:33 pm |
    • g2-b837363fe05d124be3384fdddef67d01

"Science is about evidence. Religion is about faith."

To put it another way, science is believing because you have the evidence, religion is believing in spite of the evidence.

March 24, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
  12. Zekes

What I never understand about Athiests is that they always want to make certain that you know that they are in fact 'Athiest'. It must come from the insecurity of knowing that they will be dead some day. I bet you that 5 minutes before they die, 90% of them have a change of heart and suddenly have faith.

March 24, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
    • I Am God

Doubt it. And you making this statement is laughable at best. Remember the Westboro Church? Sort of makes your comment looks foolish.

March 24, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
    • tony

The other 95% come back and tell us how good it is "up there"? How about more that just one????

March 24, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
    • What is That Thing on Aaron Neville's Face?

I'm an Atheist so you must be talking about someone else.

March 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
    • @OD

Zekes, this is your creator speaking, I know you ma$turb@1e, I commend you to stop

March 24, 2013 at 12:12 pm |
    • Chris

You are the insecure one. We don't need a fairy tale to be able to live life. And the vast majority of us don't do deathbed conversions.

March 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm |
    • Zekes

Looks like I touched a nerve. Maybe try Scientology or something 😉

March 24, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
    • Saving the earth,one pithy comment at a time

Five minutes before the terrorists hit the building on 911,they had TOTAL faith.Their faith in god was ALL they needed.

March 24, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
    • Nicodemus Grumpschmidt

Dude, I love how you project your flaws on your enemies. It's YOU who is insecure as so conclusively proven by your religious affiliation. It's YOU who has to go to church to deal with this insecurity and be told what to do. We atheists are not like that. Moreover, I accept you and your propensity for nonsensical religious belief, You, however, choose to hate because atheists and agnostics don't believe what you do. Get rid of the hate and bias your religion has emblazoned on your brain. You'll be much more relaxed and rational. 😉

March 24, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • Zekes

Sorry, but all of you are missing the point. I am probably Agnostic more than anything else. By screaming– 'I am Atheist' all the time and shoving it down our throat turns you into the same as those religious extremists. No different.

March 24, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
    • sam stone

There is no way of verifying that one way or the other.

March 24, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
    • Zekes

Exactly! There is no way of knowing, one way or the other. So in the mean time, please continue to be Atheist (or what ever), but don't be Extremist about it.

March 24, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
    • EdwardTr

The prejudice against atheist is huge most of us do not say anything. We want to come out and be accepted for our beliefs without reprisals against us or our kids.

March 24, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
  13. @OD

Ok, you try to create the universe in 6 days...after creating the Higgs boson my imagination ran out...

March 24, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
  14. BruceINpanama

I'm sick of politicians ending every speech with "And may God Bless you."

It seems apparent to me that most politicians DO NOT believe in God based on their actions.

Why do the members of both parties at all levels of government insist on perpetuating this lie when it is completely obvious they could care less about God?

Could it be just to get votes? LOL

March 24, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
  15. Alex R

Can someone explain to me why Scientology is a laughing stock in our society? I agree that their beliefs are nutty, but you sound pretty dumb if you believe that a virgin have birth to a man who walked on water and rose from the dead, and you say "wow scientologists believe some crazy things!" Scientology may be less popular, but it is no less crazy than any other religion. So much hypocrisy...

March 24, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
    • Zobby

It takes an unbiased mind to see things that way.

March 24, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

Scientology hasn't had the time to take hold in the way christianity has.

March 24, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
    • sam stone

i don't know that one belief is any more nuts than the other. however, one has had longer to take hold

March 24, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
  16. Barb

I asked several religious people recently: "If God has always been here, and you truly believe that he came from nothing, then why is it so impossible to believe that the entire universe came from nothing, or something very small?" I received only one actual reply "Out of cosmos is great design and mathematical precision....Are we to believe that all this precision and design is the result of chance?" To which I answered "And yet so many people believe that God was created out of nothing. They simply see that He was here, and has always been here. Why question one and not the other? Science changes constantly with new findings and evidence. I do not blindly follow science, but it has provided far more answers than that of any religion I have looked into. I question both, not just one." That was the end of the discussion. A lot of people with faith seem to be too afraid to not believe, I think. They're also afraid of the unknown and their religion helps provide them with the answers of what science has yet to answer. As for others.. (and seems a large amount in the U.S.) I'm not sure, other than they have become obsessed with God.

March 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • Chadrock

I like the response, Barb. But what if the universe didn't come from nothing? What if "it always was", just like believers think that their god "always was"? There doesn't have to be a beginning and an end to everything.

March 24, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
  17. Zobby

The world will never progress as long as people in this world are killing each other and governing their lives based on fairy tales.

March 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • Anon

In many cases, religion is what prevents people from killing each other. Without God, morality does not exist, save for what morality you choose for yourself. And if your personal morality doesn't find killing to be evil, on what grounds can anyone criticize you?

March 24, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
    • David Anderson

This is the heart of the matter. People see evil in the world and are unable to believe that a loving God could permit it. So they cease to believe in Him. But our minds are far too limited to understand everything. Knowing our limitations in the larger context of the universe brings us back to the place where we can reconsider the question of the origins of everything and worship that power.

March 24, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
    • Chadrock

Anon: Sorry, but it's very arrogant to think that only your religion is "moral". Morals are learned from society, not from religions (a type/part of society) alone.

March 24, 2013 at 12:35 pm |
    • sam stone

david: man (with his limited understanding) wrote he books(s) that man largely uses to define god. did the bible authors have any a priori knowledge?

March 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
  18. Vic

In "electromagnetics," you learn that you can receive a "radio signal" through a "beer can" for antenna for your "radio (receiver") as well as through the fanciest antenna! Why is that?! The answer is simple!

All the power is put in the source, "the transmitter!" The "communications industry" puts great emphasis on the "ability to transmit" radio signals, as strong as possible, so anyone with any level of means can receive them!

God is the same way! He reveals Himself through a tremendous amount of evidence so any person, regardless of their level of intelligence and/or effort, can detect Him!

This leads us to the following:

Science ventures into the 'physical' existence and can not venture into the 'metaphysical' which is believed to be behind this creation!

There is a characterization of a 'universal impulse' for "God and Religion (Faith/Belief") by the scientific community! I couldn't agree more on the following premise:

We are programmed to detect and sense the 'physical' world through our physical bodies! The same way, we are programmed to detect and sense the 'metaphysical' through our metaphysical spirits! The 'universal impulse' for God and religion (Faith/Belief) comes from the programmed spirit just like the 'universal impulses' for food and s e x come from the programmed body!

Now, when you think about God, keep an open mind to that God Himself (Who Is Metaphysical) is not subject to this 'physical' world and its science (physical laws) that He created all. Therefore, science can not prove or disprove God! In scientific terms God is imponderable! However, this entire creation, including life, is huge "EVIDENCE" to a "CREATOR" == "GOD" !!!

Romans 1:20
    "20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse."

Colossians 1:16
    "16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him."

Hebrews 11:3
    "3 By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible."

Acts 17:24-28
    "24 The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; 25 nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things; 26 and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, 27 that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28 for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His children.’"

[Scripture is from the New American Standard Bible (NASB)]

A Previous Related Post:

March 24, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
    • Darwin

plz stop quoting the bible

March 24, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

What "tremendous evidence" do you have of any of the thousands of gods man has created?

March 24, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
    • Gadflie

So, which god? We humans have invented so many after all...

March 24, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
    • psych ward staff

Well that was a big bowl of stupid. Evidence? LOL.

March 24, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
    • Nicodemus Grumpschmidt

Nice try but the problem here is with your "transmitter." In radio and TV, the transmitter is real, not imagined. The results of the actions of the transmitter are causally traceable back to that transmitter. This god you so ardently believe in is not causally traceable. Therefore, your attempt at proof of his existence falls miserably short. All your "argument" proves is that this god is an instrument of man's to control the thinking and actions of others. And with you, it worked. I'm stunned at the shortsightedness of your attempt to prove your god's existence.

March 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
    • Unintelligent Designer

How does this account for the tens of thousands of different versions/interpretations of The Bible? If this God is truly speaking to us through a couple of tin cans and a string, we should all be receiving the same message, loud and clear.

March 24, 2013 at 12:12 pm |
    • JT

Religious crackpot quoting from a book of fables.

March 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm |
    • YeahItsMe72

Vic, your contorted logic and attempts at rationalizing are exactly why Atheists need to speak out.

March 24, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
    • Saving the earth,one pithy comment at a time

Excuse me-I will now go and fashion a tin-foil hat in anticipation of transmissions from YOUR god.I know he likes to rest on Sunday,so I hope he doesn't get p o ed and cast me in to the hot place.

March 24, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
    • Agonafer

I could not agree more, for those who only live in the material world, who don't see the true nature of God, it is easy to dismiss God. I think is an effort to strip man of his humanity and spirituality. God reveals to only those who truly seek Him. Mark 8:18

March 24, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
    • sam stone

bible quotes are only relevant to those who accept the supposed authority of the bible

March 24, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
    • sam stone

agonfer: look up "confirmation bias" and get back to us.

while you are at it, please explain how the god of the bible is any more valid than any other

March 24, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
    • g2-b837363fe05d124be3384fdddef67d01

"God is the same way!"

You know a lot about the God who is beyond our understanding. Just how do you manage to eff the ineffable?

March 24, 2013 at 1:05 pm |
    • Agonafer

Let me give you analogy – you can't teach your dog quantum physics, so is with human mind when it comes to God. If some people can't understand God, they ought to try to understand Him through Science or Religion what ever means they chose. Don't claim you know, that He does not exist. Psalm 14:1

March 24, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
  19. TC

March 24, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
    • tony

How do you like the nice suits, cars, big homes, etc., of the mega church owners?

March 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • the AnViL™

try reading the article, moron.

March 24, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
    • SixDegrees

Better than blowing money on forcing science out of science classrooms in the public schools and replacing it with a bizarre brand of hate-filled theocracy.

March 24, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • Science

TC ..........................and they (see below for they) are still trying and WASTING money !

Dover Trial Transcripts............................................. FACTS.

Below are the complete transcripts from the Dover Trial. Thanks to our friends at the National Center for Science Education for helping us fill in the missing transcripts.

Maybe they should not have created the wedge !!!
      The wedge strategy is a political and social action plan authored by the Discovery Insti-tute, the hub of the intelligent design movement. The strategy was put forth in a Discovery Insti-tute manifesto known as the Wedge Docu-ment,[1] which describes a broad social, political, and academic agenda who

April 4, 2013 at 7:12 am |
  20. the AnViL™

those who believe in an imaginary man in the sky are delusional.

delusional thinking is a form of mental illness.

those who believe in gods should be prohibited from voting, serving on a jury, holding public office, purchasing or owning firearms or teaching public schools.

tolerance of religious idiocy is coming to a swift end.

March 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
    • tony

Amen

March 24, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
    • TC

I know you want that to be the case but it's not even close to that at the moment and never will be.

March 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • Unintelligent Designer

So at the moment someone goes from being a believer to a non-believer, are they suddenly cured of this mental illness you speak of? Or is it the case that they're simply better informed? Point being, this train of thought is just as narrow as that of the young earth creationist.

March 24, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

How are the two lines of thought equally narrow, again? There seem to be some missing connections there.

March 24, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
    • the AnViL™

unintelligent designer – people can still be batshit nuts and not believe in an imaginary man in the sky.

also

the constitutions of several states in our nation prohibit atheists from serving on juries and running for office – etc... they never seem to like it when anyone suggests reversing things. that's comical.

tell me why we should tolerate religious idiocy in the 21st century – and then explain why you think it's a good idea to let people who are demonstrably delusional make decisions for society or teach kids – let alone possess firearms.

March 24, 2013 at 12:19 pm |
    • faith

YOUR PROOF BOB DYLAN is as you state?

jimmy carter?