home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Every letter of a word has meanings of its own, seeds to grow crop of words for humanity to communicate. From seeds of letters, blocks are created and than blocks are combined to create words to communicate intentions of a person. Word ATHEIST MEANS, A SELF CENTERED, DENIER OF TRUTH ABSOLUTE, OR A PERSON CLAIMING HIMSELF TO BE TRUTH ABSOLUTE GOD, A HINDU SHAMAN, A CROOK SPEAKING BY HIS SOUL, DESIRE, NOT OF TRUTH ABSOLUTE OF A MATTER. Atheism is not of human, but in line with mind set of a animals. Following words are best example to identify Atheism.
    DOG
    Letter D, means, THE. vowel O, represents, QUANTIFIED AND Letter G is result of one s intention from his mind and heart. Sounded Ga. meaning a secular, self centered by intention in opposition to truth absolute by intention. or an atheist,
    MONKEY
    Letter M means essence or choice of an intention, Vowel O represents Quantified. Letter N means enshrined or established. Letter K identifies function of a noun. Vowel E represents unity of an adjective and a noun in essence. Letter Y means Ye, from heart and mind, base of word Yes. meaning by self choice, with dis regard to truth absolute, a Secular, self centered or an atheist,
    DONKEY
    Letter D, means THE, Vowel O means QUANTIFIED, Letter N means established or enshrined. Letter K identifies function of a noun. Vowel E represents unity of an adjective and a noun in essence. Letter Y means Ye, from heart and mind, base of word Yes. meaning by self choice, with dis regard to truth absolute, a Secular, self centered or an atheist,
    As a matter of fact, word ANIMAL means nothing else, but a atheist, self centered or denier of truth absolute.
    Atheism, self center ism is way of animals and hindrance negativity to truth absolute GOD, foundation of consti tution of USA and universe and source for existence of every thing in existence, otherwise known as constant.
    Atheism is way of hindus, deniers of truth absolute, not of human, but animals observed by pot head hindu Swamis, ignorant goons, secular, self centered by their hindu soul, filthy desire and foundation of hinduism racism of hindu dark ages.
    Please visit Limitisthetruth.com to learn about truth absolute and hindrance of truth absolute by hindus, deniers of truth absolute, foundation of hinduism racism, product of Atheism, hindu secular ism, criminal self center ism of hindu Sanatans, crook goons to hind, fool humanity in to gentile ism, slavery of few.

March 24, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • S T F U

March 24, 2013 at 2:29 pm |
  2. llcoollj

None of these comments matter. Both sides' points in this forum are meaningless because they are all given anonymously. Mine is too but I don't care about either side. Then again, maybe I do. But when you post anonymously, it doesn't matter. How brave and passionate you all are when you can hide behind a made-up name. See, I'm doing it right now too. At least Stiefel put his name and face behind his beliefs. Everyone out here is a coward at heart, including me. Now THAT is the truth.

March 24, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

It is reasonable to fear the crazies. This is not a test of bravery, it's an opportunity to share opinions without the backlash from those who fear a different opinion threatens their belief system.

March 24, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
    • sqeptiq

Even anonymous opinions matter if they lead others to think. The author of the thought is immaterial if the thought is valid. The only real problem with anonymity is that it encourages trolls, but that's okay as well because we all need someone to laugh at.

March 24, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
    • Lola Bunch

....says the guy named "llcoollj...

March 24, 2013 at 2:33 pm |
    • yo yo

Interesting, you wrote a lot, but said nothing.

March 24, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

The sad part is people have to be anonymous, people can loose jobs, family, friends, ect just for speaking up. We all should be ashamed that our social structure is such that people have to either shut up or lie about what they think.

March 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

*lose*

March 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
  3. If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

The freedom to be a moral, ethical, loving human being without the threat of eternal punishment in the fires of hell .. it is the only true freedom.

March 24, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
    • sqeptiq

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." – Albert Einstein

March 24, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
    • yo yo

That's the key word, FEAR. That's what religion is all about.

March 24, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
  4. Lucidifer

*** SPOILER ALERT***

Humans don't have a soul.

March 24, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
    • mark

Prove it! Don't just say it. The cult of unbelief.

March 24, 2013 at 2:33 pm |
    • Standup

Soul refers to the mind. Most humans are guilty of that.

March 24, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
  5. MandoZink

Those who point out past atrocities by so-called “atheists” are significantly mistaken as to the fundamental nature of the people who committed those acts. While RELIGIOUS violence is carried out by extremists in the name of their religious beliefs, the frequently mentioned historic atrocities by non-religious tyrants were committed by maladjusted individuals. They were either paranoid, narcissistic, megalomaniac, psychopathic, totalitarian or a combination thereof. They did not have any comprehension of the inherent moral sense of human kindness that the majority of rational atheists come to know. Integrity, understanding, and empathy for the human condition are the hallmarks of character that enlightened beings come to realize. Those awakened to intelligent atheism understand that this recognition of human quality is essential to a sane, compassionate, and universally moral society. ALL good people, both atheists and theists, should realize this. It is frustrating to feel the prejudice that religious people often project when they misjudge atheists as amoral. Surprisingly to you, we are more committed to all of humanity as a higher purpose in life, as we have to answer to ourselves for our discretions. We atheists cannot rely on a supreme being to forgive us not paying attention to our fellow man. “Do unto others…” is a commitment we share.

March 24, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
    • Kristin

Thank you, MZ! This is very articulate and concise, and is exactly what I have been trying to put into words. I do have to add that I think horrific acts performed in the name of a religious belief or serving a specific deity or philosophy is something so far beyond simple good and bad, moral or immoral. I am not sure if I am expressing this well. There is something about hiding behind a god that just perverts the true goodness of humanity. It makes me sad.

March 24, 2013 at 6:48 pm |
  6. mark

Damien has come to roost, and his minions are here in this forum to make fun of believers and worship/bow to his bruno magli's. St Atheist has risen! The cult of unbelief.

March 24, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
  7. orlando

thank to god , im a atheism !!!!! thank you all

March 24, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
  8. Christian7

What if the Bible is true and you receive zero proof that it is true and then you die? You probably think: well I will just say I didn't know God existed so I am innocent and if God is a loving god he would not send me to hell. Wrong. You are already condemned and it is right that sin is thrown into different levels of hell exactly where you belong. It is not about knowing that God exists. Satan knows that God exists, and he is condemned. Even if you could get past your lame arguments against God it would not even help you.. Jesus Christ is offering you a chance to change into a new creation that is not sinful. When you die, you would not be judged for your old nature, your new nature would make it in to heaven instead. Science does not explain how life began on earth. How did it begin?

"God created everything by number, weight and measure." - Issac Newton

March 24, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
    • clarity

"Even if you could get past your lame arguments against God "

Who needs to accept the lame spam suggested by rehashed ancient folklore?

March 24, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
    • Box

Lastday, Chirstian 7's. Year of the City: 2013. Carousel begins.

March 24, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

I would never assume that the christian god would do anything other than the most evil thing possible. For instance, if your god exists, I imagine that he will keep hell going forever and put whoever he wants to in there. He might keep me in heaven because I'm interesting, but eventually his evil nature would cause him to get upset at something we disagree on and he would throw me in his never-ending torture pit.

March 24, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

you have restated Pascals wager, which is the worst reason to believe, and is no real faith at all.

March 24, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • brady

what if the muslims are the correct religion? What are you going to tell Allah when you die? Or the mormons? Or any of the thousands of religions that have been around since to dawn of human civilization? Stupid logic.

March 24, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
    • demoguy1

You put forth a good argument for atheist... We should believe in jesus christ because it "might" be true? There is no proof, none what so ever that anything in the bible is true. I believe the bible states "do not pray to false gods". Could that include the ultimate false god? If believing in religion or a god gives you peace or comfort then please believe but do not push your false beliefs on others. Try meditation. No god to punish or send you to a bad place.

March 24, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
    • Christian7

brady, Your use of the word logic is wrong. It is a hypothetical. You have not shown at all how my logic is faulty. It is unlikely you are going to out logic a computer scientist. If the Muslims are correct that is a different hypothetical.

March 24, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
    • Christian7

demoguy1, I do not accept Jesus for no reason. You have no idea why I believe what I believe. I am putting into perspective for you what your worst case scenario is. I do not expect you to be smart enough to read what I am tying and turn towards Christ and get it right. I expect you to go into a 7 year tribulation during which you will remember my words. At that time, get down on your knees and pray and ask Jesus to be your lord and savior. The words are less important than meaning it in your heart. It will be very very bad for you. But accepting Jesus at that time is the best case at anytime no matter how much it cost you, even if it cost you your life. Go ahead and mock me. I did not write this for approval of men. It is information you will need

March 24, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
    • brady

You didn't answer my question. In the hypothetical situation that you where to die and find out Allah is the one true god what you say to him? Shouldn't you also be a muslim incase that is "the one true religion?" Or better yet practice all religions so all your bases are covered when you die.

March 24, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
    • jan buyck

That's Pascal's wager: what if god exists and Atheists are wrong? But what if Jews, Muslims, Bhudists, Hindu's, "The followers of the spirit in the volcano", etc... are right? Then all christians are doomed too...

March 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

brady
      The christians don't like it when you use their logic against them...to them it isn't fair.

When someone uses pascals wager as a defense, they are defenseless.

March 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
    • brady

I've got to stop arguing religion with people, it goes nowhere. It's just sad we have to wait for a generation to grow old and die before change can happen.

March 24, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
  9. MICHAEL

Atheist are in good company...Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin..The boys of Columbine who obeyed their own moral law...Have you ever read whose writings Hilter followed? Probably not.

March 24, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
    • Alex

Hitler was catholic...

March 24, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
    • clarity

You need some education. Hitler was a Christian.

March 24, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
    • Apple Bush

MICHAEL, are you trying to bait an atheist into listing religious atrocities? There isn't enough room on this blog.

March 24, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
    • brady

yeah because religious people have never committed atrocities. You are either a Troll or a very sad person.

March 24, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • MandoZink

Michael,
      See my post above. It won't do you much good, but it may help others, even if just a little.

March 24, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • sqeptiq

Hitler was a catholic.

March 24, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
    • yo yo

Religious people are in good company, almost every despot, tyrant, king, queen, emperor, empress, or dictator worldwide from beyond the beginning of history.

March 24, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
    • Alex

read your history books for some clarity, clarity

March 24, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
    • Hello

read Caesar's Messiah by Joseph Atwill..

March 24, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
  10. Lucidifer

There doesn't seem to be a way to talk to devout christians without them taking offence. It's because they hold their beliefs emotionally and take any rebuttal personally. So I don't worry about offending christians anymore.

I just treat them as if they are trying to convince me that Winnie the Pooh is real. And when they demand that I must love honey too, I understand that they are not using critical thinking skills but merely expressing their fragile emotions.

The first amendment gives them the right to be infantile, but it does not protect them from being shown to be infantile.

March 24, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
    • Apple Bush

The atheists be after me Lucky Charms!

March 24, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
  11. Patrish

An article I enjoy. I was raised in all the Sunday school, church and choir stuff. Once I got into the world and aged, I found religion very flawed. To go on and on about some deity that you can't prove exists, and more than you can prove fairies exist is rater silly. I do believe in 'thoughts are things', good old metaphysical concept, and if you focus, dream, plan, and believe on something you can make it happen. It has nothing to do with GOD or his will. If it gives you comport to believe in a fantasy figure, so be it, but don't shove that believe in my face. As I see the ridiculous behavior of some of our Christian politicians, I sure want would vote for an atheist any day.

March 24, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
  12. Silviu Gavriliuc

I came from a country where people tried to remove God from the hearths of people and decleared they are atheists and need no God. The system changed and Christ is still on the throne. Todd, you can fight and use your resouces against God, but you can not win. We have been praying with our church for your salvation.

March 24, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
    • Box

Silviu Gavriliuc, you are a runner and will be terminated. Your thought patters and reasoning abilities are flawed. Fish, and plankton. And sea greens, and protein from the sea.

March 24, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

Silviu ... instead of wasting (what you consider to be precious) time praying for Todd perhaps you should pray for healing sick children .. so far it hasn't been working!

March 24, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
    • sofi

HA!

March 24, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
  13. cleareye1

This guy is just as legitimate as the Pope.
    Obviously, we cannot afford to continue to subsidize religion forever. It must stand on its own or die out, just as many other human creations have before it.

March 24, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
  14. conexes

People in this very country are homeless and hungry. Spending millions of dollars on billboards with the goal of promoting anything is senseless, let alone when it serves nothing in particular.

March 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Tell that to the churches who carry out the action 99.99999% more than atheists do. Or are you a hypocrite?

March 24, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
    • .

The Christians who put up billboards such as "Got religion" should read your post.

March 24, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
    • John P. Tarver, MS/PE

It serves the athiest ego (devil) to advertise their faith.

March 24, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
    • CarrotCakeMan

Promoting freedom from oppressive religion is a Good Deed.

March 24, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

conexes .. I'm assuming you've seen all the "God loves you" and the "Life is nothing without God" signs. They certainly serve no purpose .. especially since the money for them came from tax exempt status!

March 24, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
    • Colin

John, you are an idiot. Go away. Don't insult atheists by saying our ego is tied to some fictional bull that we don't even believe in. You are the definition of a lunatic and a hatemongerl.

March 24, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
    • .

Atheists don't believe if any gods, ergo no faith in the non-existent. You're rather uneducated when it comes to atheism, aren't you Tarver?

March 24, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
    • John P. Tarver, MS/PE

Colin- Psychology says your ego has all the characteristics of the devil, not the bible.

March 24, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
    • cleareye1

His efforts serve freedom. Anyone can free themselves of unwanted belief systems. If religion did not work their propaganda on children with threats it would have faded away long ago.

March 24, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
    • clarity

Mr. Tarver, BShitter:

what is this? "athiest"

March 24, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
    • Fungeek

Churches and pastors are not taxed. This cost us all at least 71,000,000,000 dollars last year alone (by way of comparison, that is 30x the cost of the Mars Curiosity program – in TOTAL). That is money that the rest of us pay for by way of increased taxes and decreased spending on social/infrastructure/government programs.

Churches within the U.S. are estimated by the I.R.S. to pull in roughly 120 billion dollars a year. It's estimated that current church real estate within the U.S. amount to roughly a half-TRILLION dollars in holdings.

Last year alone, Gideons International distrubuted over 84 million bibles at a cost to their organization of roughly $5 per bible for a total cost of 420 BILLION dollars spent on bibles they handed out. Do you want to take a wild stab at how many people you can feed, clothe, and provide safe drinking water to (12% of the 5 year old children in Africa last year died to DIARRHEA because they can't get safe drinking water – WATER!!!!)?

March 24, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
    • Colin

It's people, like you John, who make me understand that atheists exist in a state of semi-unrealized war because religious monsters like you exist everywhere and are guiding this planet towards oblivion if good atheists don't stand up to stop you, possibly with force. Thank you for confirming once again, that what you represent is an unchanging enemy. Atheists, learn from this. Learn that we must win. Learn that we don't have time to rest on the laurels of our intelligence. We must act now.

March 24, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
  15. SayIt

religion = hypocracy

March 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
  16. silentcount

Can't think of any discrimination against atheists today, but there's quite about against Religion, as if somehow society would be better without it. However, things will only get worse if more people believe that there is no final penalty for taking one's own life, and others along with them. No amount of government programs can fix that growing problem. Only the church can. It's separate from government and should be, but probably more important to the good health of society.

March 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Your assumptions are incorrect.

March 24, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
    • CarrotCakeMan

Religious nuts are NOT being "discriminated against" when we won't join their nasty churches and let them force their peculiar, minority "beliefs" onto all other Americans.

March 24, 2013 at 2:05 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

If the church can fix these problems ... what is it waiting for?!

March 24, 2013 at 2:07 pm |
    • Colin

Agreed; you are wrong, Silent.

March 24, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
    • Mr.Butters

Did you really just lump depressed people trying to cope with suicide into the same category as those who go on killing sprees? You have serious issues. And it has nothing to do with your religion. You are just clearly disturbed.

March 24, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
    • Harangue

Christianity and Catholicism are the two most widely spread religions in the west. You're not being discriminated against. Meanwhile your religious leaders have on more than one occasion called out a "war" on atheism, because they feel threatened whenever someone who wants to use common sense over blind faith comes along. I can assure you, anything you have seen or experienced against religion is in the minority of people. Coming out as an atheist is in many cases as hard as one coming out as being gay. I know many a person who has been shunned by their brainwashed family for deciding not to believe in an invisible genie.

March 24, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
    • Patrish

Religion and a believe in God doesn't fix much. All religions have a agenda. Yous believe and act as they do to be accepted. Religious people want to impress 'God', or others, and they are not doing it in secret. You help or give your time to a person, an animal, the environment, etc. because it is the right thing to do, and to make this a better place for all with gain for yourself.

March 24, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
  17. Moby Schtick

So that's your third or fourth lie on this thread alone, Chad? I did point it out to you when I referenced Stan's post. You lie because it's who you are, Chad. You can't help it. And I love it and I love you!! Keep up the great work for atheism.

March 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
  18. Trixie

It never ceases to amaze me how catty religious folk can be when their cages are rattled even the least little bit. What are they afraid of? Do they not think think that Atheists have a right to be heard? I'm not understanding this. After 2000 of having their beliefs shoved into out faces, they don't like the fact that voices of reason and logic are now proving the ignorance of the bible? Nobody's attempting to take their god(s) away from them; they simply need to realize that theirs is not the only viewpoint on the matter.

March 24, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
    • John P. Tarver, MS/PE

You violate our first amendment rights and think it should not be a problem.

March 24, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
    • midwest rail

Please cite a verifiable instance where your 1st Amendment rights have been violated.

March 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
    • .

And how are atheists violating your first amendment right, Tarver? Worship as you please. Just don't try to legislate your "beliefs" into law. Get a clue.

March 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
    • clarity

Tarver – Mr. BS:

What violation?

You need to learn more about the 1st Amendment before you spout off like you usually do.

James Madison:

Every new & successful example therefore of a perfect separation between ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance. And I have no doubt that every new example, will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt. will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.

The Civil Govt, tho' bereft of everything like an associated hierarchy, possesses the requisite stability and performs its functions with complete success, Whilst the number, the industry, and the morality of the Priesthood, & the devotion of the people have been manifestly increased by the total separation of the Church from the State.

Madison came to oppose employment of chaplains for the House and Senate.

March 24, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
  19. a-man

Atheists / agnostics do not need to prove anything – you can not prove nothing.

March 24, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

.. and we don't need to since we are not claiming something exists.

March 24, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
  20. John P. Tarver, MS/PE

At the root of Darwin's "origin of species" is pure racism and his followers are just plain evil.

March 24, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
    • tony

Name calling is a great way to spread religion.

March 24, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
    • el_incr

John,
      can you give any objective support for your assertions? I would like to read them here in this forum.

March 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

His "followers"? You seem to be so indoctrinated that you can't comprehend that you DON'T need to follow anything. Accepting what Darwin pointed out is not different that accepting what Newton showed us .. you don't "follow" them, you simply accept the reality of what they showed us & we can observe for ourselves.

March 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

The only reason you hate evolution is because it threatens your myth.

March 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
    • Larry

Darwin was no more racist than any other white guy living back then, including Christian clergy. Even Helen Keller was a raging racist by our standards today. Lucky for us we've all evolved a lot since then, well most of us have anyway. What pockets of racist thinking that are still out there aren't in scientific circles, but there are still some pretty deep pockets of it within religious ones.

March 24, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
    • John P. Tarver, MS/PE

Darwin attempted to take away humanity from blacks.

March 24, 2013 at 2:04 pm |
    • John P. Tarver, MS/PE

el- the editor will not allow me to post the historical facts here.

March 24, 2013 at 2:07 pm |
    • What is That Thing on Aaron Neville's Face?

JPT: "el- the editor will not allow me to post the historical facts here."

LOL

March 24, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
    • cleareye1

It's people like Tarver who are a real danger to humanity. Their irrational beliefs have led to the deaths of millions and they are not satisfied yet. They want more death, particularly if it's the deaths of other religious people holding slightly different fantasies.

March 24, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"Darwin attempted to take away humanity from blacks."

No he didn't. The Bible did though, I have heard Christians quote the part about the cursed decendants of Ham many times.

March 24, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
    • Yakobi

There are no gods or goddesses, demons or devils, ghosts or goblins. Religion was invented by man to control the masses.

March 24, 2013 at 2:24 pm |