home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) – Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Faith Now

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. john

Happy Easter , Lord is Risen!

March 24, 2013 at 7:37 am |
  2. william

Sir, I plead with you to listen to me. God is real. Man sinned. God sent His Son to die on a Cross for the propitiation of those sins. Jesus rose from the grave after 3 days. He is alive now and makes intercession on behalf of those that have asked Him into their hearts in a personal way. This is the only way to heaven. If there was another way then Jesus would have died in vain. God says in scripture that even nature speaks to His existence, so that "no one is without excuse" (for believing). You, like many others in the Catholic movement were raised on "pomp and outward religion", and I fear never really experienced the true saving grace of Jesus Christ. When one asks Jesus into their heart, spiritual blinders are removed and one begins to see the reality of the existence of God in a personal and tangible way. Having said all of that, the Bible itself even speaks that not all will believe in Him, so I do not find it odd that you, at this present time, are on of those who don't believe. Lastly, I will remind you that you are without excuse. 2 Peter 3:9 says this, and I quote, "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." God loves you.

March 24, 2013 at 7:36 am |
    • One one

Does it ever occur to you that everything you are saying is simply mythology ?

March 24, 2013 at 7:42 am |
    • tomnikoly

You my friend are delusional.

March 24, 2013 at 7:42 am |
    • skytag

We all know the myth. We also all know you have no evidence to support anything you just said.

March 24, 2013 at 7:48 am |
    • JMEF

William
      Sorry pal I do not want to believe in a bigot for a God with his chosen people and leaving out two thirds of the people on earth while having all his followers kiss his holy butt to get his benevolence. Why pray/prey tell would he allow his "Vicars of Christ on Earth and other clergy types" be such cheap hustlers getting wealthy off of the bounty of the sheep. Enjoy your delusion, you are free to do so.

March 24, 2013 at 7:51 am |
    • jimbob

I see the brainwashing came early and stayed late.

March 24, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
  3. johnh1625

Whether one believes in God or not, what an incredible waste to spend vast sums of money on this particular cause. This is an obvious example of another narcissist engaged in "Hey look at me!" behavior.

March 24, 2013 at 7:36 am |
    • tomnikoly

I see. Religion has no one like that. Right.

March 24, 2013 at 7:42 am |
    • SixDegrees

Driven by any megachurches lately? Or noticed how much evangelical nutjobs spend trying to force science out of the classroom and replace it with narrow christian theology courses? Stiefel's expenditures are a drop in a huge bucket in comparison. And those a holes trying to subvert public education need to be countered; they are a foundational danger to the Republic.

March 24, 2013 at 7:43 am |
    • Aaron Webb

As opposed to the hundreds of millions poured into religious advertising yearly?

March 24, 2013 at 7:55 am |
  4. LAST DAY

Atheists and Agnostics,

it is not a myth,

there is a GOD,

here is the Ultimate Proof:

UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES!

March 24, 2013 at 7:35 am |
    • Funny

And which "God" specifically did that? Was it "your God" of course?

March 24, 2013 at 7:52 am |
  5. To Believe or Not

There is nothing that has been more destructive to humanity than religious doctrine, and belief in the same.

March 24, 2013 at 7:34 am |
    • Heebeejeebee

Really? You have empirical evidence that this statement you have just proclaimed is a fact? I'd really love to see that evidence. I'm not arguing for or against what you've written, I'm challenging the boldness of saying religion has caused the most damage. If you study ancient and even recent history you will find this is certainly not the case. It's popular and hip to write what you've written above but it's just a trend that has "production money" behind it. It's trendy like The Beatles, Punk, Disco, etc were. There is a marketing angle. Believe what you like but don't go around make bold proclamations if you don't have empirical data to back it up.

March 24, 2013 at 7:44 am |
  6. Greg

Careful Christians will wage war on you for talking smack on Jesus!

March 24, 2013 at 7:34 am |
    • bigfoot

I believe in God. And I believe that American Christians are about as far removed from him as one edge of the universe is from the other.

March 24, 2013 at 7:35 am |
  7. Mike Litoris

If it takes the threat of burning in an imaginary land and a book that tells people to love their neighbor to keep people from being complete a – holes, then I'm willing to tolerate Christians trying to shove their religion down my throat. I don't need religion to be a good person, many people do.

March 24, 2013 at 7:33 am |
    • JC

If it only worked that way. Instead what we see are religious moon-bats using cherry-picked bible verses as justification for hatred and bigotry. Visit yahoo any day of the week for multiple examples. Today they were particularly full of hate just coming from palm sunday mass and all.

March 24, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
  8. Snowdog

Pretty sad that this man lives his life hating God, who does exist, and will judge this man. He will face the one he does not believe in and be separated from the one who loves him forever. I feel sorry for him.

March 24, 2013 at 7:32 am |
    • Akinsc

one cannot hate what one does not believe in. I do not hate santa.

March 24, 2013 at 7:33 am |
    • Snowdog

Why a movement then? Atheism is a religion trying to disprove God.

March 24, 2013 at 7:35 am |
    • IgnoranceOverload

"Pretty sad that this man lives his life hating God" He never said he hated God... He said he does not believe
      "who does exist" Proof? For those who are not educated your answer will be "faith" "explain all this" we would but you still wouldn't get it
      "and will judge this man" Not to concerned with that.... say your right....your "just" God will understand
      "He will face the one he does not believe in and be separated from the one who loves him forever" Please tell me how we can make this happen on Earth? I don't want to have to wait to die to be separated from you.
      "I feel sorry for him" Please don't. He is not worrying about you

March 24, 2013 at 7:58 am |
  9. Polar Bear

Well, this is the "Era of the Fringe." Instead of being outcast and marginalized as they should be, they are now elements to the Great American Freak Show. Amazing what bitter little children with a chip on their shoulders can do with Daddy's money.

March 24, 2013 at 7:31 am |
    • mb2010a

You're talking about Christians, right?

March 24, 2013 at 7:36 am |
    • JC

Yeah I agree. Exactly why have those moonbat christian believers in fairy tales not been marginalized yet.? Don't worry. They will be.

March 24, 2013 at 8:47 pm |
  10. Eastern Orthodox

Lord have Mercy!

March 24, 2013 at 7:31 am |
  11. john

Well, Religion is personal choice, so everybody should respect that.It is up to you , to believe or not believe.
    To insult either side is wrong.I do believe in Christ my Lord, My savior , and I also have friends who do not believe , but we respect each other. There are those who are doing wrong on both sides(remember people are imperfect) , and they should be condemned.Silent majority are good people , they suffer the most..Just love each other, like Christ Loves You.

March 24, 2013 at 7:31 am |
  12. dwight

I wonder if atheists pray in the final moments before death. Not like their terminally ill or anything or praying not to die but starting to figure out that "wow, I'm in shock and don't want my conscience wandering off in a dark state (not hell) for the next zillion years, trap inside my lifeless body".

I wonder if their pride will stop them from prayer of forgiveness which will be too late by then. I doubt it.

March 24, 2013 at 7:30 am |
    • bigfoot

Are you trying to say, "there are no atheists in foxholes?"

March 24, 2013 at 7:33 am |
    • IgnoranceOverload

The beauty of Atheist and death is there is NO FEAR at that time. We understand that we are going to the same state as before we were born. I did not fear before I was born, you have your conscious to worry about.

March 24, 2013 at 8:01 am |
  13. Carole

Why do we need an atheist movement? Nobody has said he can't be a atheist. It is his/anybodies choice. Mr. Stiefel needs to get down off of his "soap box" and spend some of his time and money doing something worth while. Maybe he should volunteer at a soup kitchen. Of course, volunteering at a soup kitchen doesn't give Mr. Stiefel much publicity which he seems to enjoy.

March 24, 2013 at 7:30 am |
    • Akinsc

Based on a number of posted comments, there is a large population that have a misconception of what an Atheist is. An organization that educates people, clearing up misconceptions and encouraging a dialogue with others that believe differently is a bad thing?

March 24, 2013 at 7:38 am |
    • Pennsytuckian

Let me post this excerpt from the article...you must have skipped over it:

"Stiefel continued: “I also see inter-belief work, though. I do find a lot of value in inter-belief work and I do see a lot of value in general charity work.”

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

March 24, 2013 at 7:45 am |
    • At least Thank the Sun

Atheist Latin A (against) Theis(m). Against any Theory of God. Not that confusing. He is welcome to that. I didn't know Atheists are now Evangelical. He is welcome to his non-belief, but if he's calling himself a Humanist, there are too many humans in need of help. Pulling people from their "closet" does nothing to help the suffering of innocents. Waste of money.

March 24, 2013 at 7:47 am |
  14. Robert Middleton

Get over it, people! There ain't no Santa Claus, no Easter Bunny, no Tooth Fairy, no god. Grow up!

March 24, 2013 at 7:30 am |
    • Snowdog

To relate the Easter bunny and Santa Clause to God is pretty sad. You will meet God one day Robert whether you belive in him or not. I feel sorry for you.

March 24, 2013 at 7:34 am |
    • IgnoranceOverload

SnowDog– Please do not feel sorry for him. He is at peace now with life, without fear. It is actually pretty liberating. And when he sees someone in need... guess what he does? Help them.... Crazy isn't it? While you are praying for someone, he is actually helping!

March 24, 2013 at 8:04 am |
  15. An Awesome Message from P.W. Swivel

People are People

Thanks for watching.

March 24, 2013 at 7:28 am |
  16. At least Thank the Sun

Do people know the difference between Agnostic (Latin – To not Know) and Atheist (Latin – To reject all theories of God)? I can fully understand Agnostics. It's hard to believe in something you feel you've never seen. Have Atheists done their homework, though? Checked out the 7 major world religions and the hundreds of others? Not likely.

But be an Atheist. Be my guest. Why do the rest of us need to join your Club? That sentiment goes for all organized philosophy. If we want to know, we'll call you. Leave it all out of public policy. Why try to eff with a belief system in which someone finds comfort?

Here'a a thought: Worship the Sun. Atheists feel they owe nothing to the Universe. If you cannot find a belief system that fits you, thats fine. I get it. Do you owe nothing o the Sun? It gives you light, heat, food, and you'd perish without it. Are you THAT ungrateful you owe nothing to any part of the Universe? Silly.

I truly hope when you find yourself facing tragedy alone, or watched any loved one in peril that this great Void you want us all to accept will give you comfort.

Do Atheist believe in helping the less fortunate? Or are they FEBUS (F Everybody But Us)? Take your billboard money and sponsor family with a terminally ill child that can no longer afford treatment. If you are a Humanist, the take the money and help other humans instead of wasting it trying to pull people out of their "closet." Take care of your own closet. I'll take care of mine.Should we meet, what shall I say when you sneeze? God Bless you, whether you want it or not.

March 24, 2013 at 7:28 am |
    • One one

Christians worship a god they believe sends people to hell for eternal torture if they don't believe in him. I find that disturbing.

March 24, 2013 at 7:36 am |
    • Robert

I find that doing something for others out the goodness of one's heart and the love of fellow man to have more impact than doing something nice for others so the 'eye in the sky' will approve. I don't think you fully understand what being an atheist means.

March 24, 2013 at 7:42 am |
    • Snowdog

God does not send people to hell. You send yourself to hell. God will give you what you want. If you do not want anythng to do with him in this life he will have nothing to do with you in the afterlife. He will grant you what you want. It does not mean he does not love you. He is rightous and cannot let sin into heaven. That is why he sent Jesus.

March 24, 2013 at 7:43 am |
    • One one

@snowdog, what a load of bull. Your god created hell and your god sends people to hell, or so you believe.

2 Thessalonians, 8-9:"In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power."

Translation, believe in me or else. And you lick the boots of this imaginary god.

March 24, 2013 at 7:52 am |
    • At least Thank the Sun

Dear One One, I am not asking anyone to be a Christian. I do understand Atheism. I do not like to see either group evangelize. I do not think anyone should waste their time pulling people from any or either closet. When people want something, they'll ask for it. It's obnoxious and ignorant of this man to waste money on taking away something many find comfort in, just as obnoxious as it is to attempt to push a particular theory of God on anyone who is not asking to be redirected.

March 24, 2013 at 7:56 am |
    • IgnoranceOverload

ALTTS– Look around... all you read is Religious folks saying they feel sorry for Atheist. I have not read one Atheist saying that they should STOP believing in what they believe and join Atheist thought.

March 24, 2013 at 8:08 am |
    • At least Thank the Sun

Ignorance Overload... If his stated goal is pulling people from the "closet" of faith, that would be asking others to abandon a mythology which gives them comfort. I say Keep the faith...to Yourself.

March 24, 2013 at 8:16 am |
    • G. Hale

FEBUS?

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

March 24, 2013 at 8:24 am |
  17. The Truth

Dear Todd:

"4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. [a] 5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

10 When the LORD your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to give you—a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, 11 houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant—then when you eat and are satisfied, 12 be careful that you do not forget the LORD, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

13 Fear the LORD your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name. 14 Do not follow other gods, the gods of the peoples around you; 15 for the LORD your God, who is among you, is a jealous God and his anger will burn against you, and he will destroy you from the face of the land. 16 Do not put the LORD your God to the test as you did at Massah. 17 Be sure to keep the commands of the LORD your God and the stipulations and decrees he has given you." Deuteronomy 6:4-17 NIV

March 24, 2013 at 7:28 am |
    • GonzoG

Dude, now, I mean this with ALL DUE RESPECT, but quoting the Bible to prove the validity of your faith is NOT proof. It's like saying "This is true because it says it's true." It's called a self-referential argument.

I DO respect your faith. I have my OWN faith and ask the same.

March 24, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
  18. boyamidumb

Just another "belief" fanatic.

March 24, 2013 at 7:26 am |
  19. Josh

Every knee will bow and every tounge confess that Jesus is Lord, even this guy.

March 24, 2013 at 7:26 am |
    • mb2010a

Or not...

March 24, 2013 at 7:43 am |
    • Robert

If I die and find myself in front of a god, I will judge him/her. Not the other way around, thank you.

March 24, 2013 at 7:44 am |
    • IgnoranceOverload

Words written by a man many years ago... think of all the craziness in the world today! Imagine the psych of the person that wrote that.... yet you cling to it so many years late.... that's scary stuff!

March 24, 2013 at 8:11 am |
  20. iceman18

And what redeeming "make the world a better place" purpose does he ultimately wish to achieve? Believe what ever you want to believe and then do something useful with your life. Go visit a Pediatric cancer ward.

March 24, 2013 at 7:26 am |
    • At least Thank the Sun

Exactly.Well said. Visit a Cancer ward. even better, pay for the treatments when insurance runs out. cover the cost of the Funeral. While you're there make a little speech to the family about the great Nothingness of it all. I'm sure he can pull them out of the closet right then and there.

March 24, 2013 at 7:34 am |
    • Snowdog

STupid, Becuase there is sickness and evil in the world there is no God. Stupid and ignorant statement. The diseases in this world are caused by man, not God. God created a perfect world that we screwed up. Satan is real as well who is the author of evil, not God.

March 24, 2013 at 7:38 am |
    • IgnoranceOverload

SnowDog– every time I read something your write I want to just give you a hug. I really think you might have PTSD from your Religious upbringing. The amount of fear you have is not healthy!

March 24, 2013 at 8:13 am |
    • G. Hale

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

March 24, 2013 at 8:22 am |