home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. Yakobi

@ISLAM.....go back to family business of cleaning toilets in Pakistan, taling of Quantum physic, dark matter and invoking Rooooooh (GHOST in muslim language) are not for street BHUNGS like you Mohammad A. Dar

March 24, 2013 at 6:20 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Your hind is hurting, hindu, ignorant. Stay away from your hind lover hindu santan, filthy goon, and you will be all right.

March 24, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
    • Yakobi

stop shooting dark matter from your ass, you saale bhangi ki aulad.

March 24, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
  2. aimeelouden

If I could just say, ask Jesus Himself, look into His Word – yes, some would call that praying or bible study 🙂 but God is big enough & when you truly search Him out with your whole heart, He will be found and that is the story of my life. I have also read many a story by people who have set out to disprove or show their point tht God does not exist, only to find Him:)

March 24, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
    • Sue

Nice storytelling aimee, as usual without any substance.

Got any evidence that would stand up to even a few seconds of honest scrutiny? Didn't think so.

March 24, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
    • redlynn8

I guess I would say, I have know much pain in my life & Jesus has been the ONLY One to give me peace & that sense of deep joy – I just feel it deep inside. I have tired many other things – not religions but things this life offers, & they were not all bad things (some were) but they never satisified or met the deep desires of my being.. but I can say, Jesus has.

March 24, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • redlynn8

it is still me, just logged in differently 🙂

March 24, 2013 at 6:40 pm |
    • sandalista

You cannot disprove something that doesn't exist. The burden of proof is on you. Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof.
      Old fairy tales mean nothing. Provide testable, disprovable evidence of your god.

March 24, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • redlynn8

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I totally understand what you are saying... I mean I could give you verses & stories from my life but I'm sure they wouldn't be proof enough because unless you see the Lord with your own heart, I know there is nothing I could say that would be enough. But I know the things God has shown me & the things He has done for me inside and around me... & that is more than proof enough for me 🙂

March 24, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
  3. His panic

They are in a total state of Panic.

Panic and Hysteria are similar behaviors. Hysteria is usually suffered by women but men can also act Hysterical. Both men and women can and indeed do panic ocasionally. This atheist guy is either hysterical or in a state of Panic which can lead to herd behavior on the part of his followers.

March 24, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
    • qazoo

I don't know about all that, but he's at that age. And he's questioning. And maybe denying his own beliefs to legitimize his behaviors, who knows. But he is certainly confused.

And he like all the rest of us will never have the answers, both sides operate off of faith. Believers & Non-Believers ..

March 24, 2013 at 6:22 pm |
    • His Panic

They are in a total state of Panic.

Panic and Hysteria are similar behaviors. Hysteria is usually suffered by women but men can also act Hysterical. Both men and women can and indeed do panic occasionally. Believers are either hysterical or in a state of Panic which can lead to herd behavior on the part of his followers. (See Benny Hinn video below for an example!)

March 24, 2013 at 6:23 pm |
  4. guv_garfunkel

What I've never been able to understand is why athiests seem to have the goal to destroy all religion, when religion is made out of so many different beliefs and people. That's like saying we need to get rid of doctors because they kill people through medical mistakes, get people addicted to narcotics, and cause people to go through so many procedures that are sometimes unnecessary. Who wants to join my crusade to rid the world of doctors? Great idea right?
    I am a very religious person, but I am certainly not any of the usual terms you athiests accuse against religion, such as intolerant, greed, hate, discrimination, etc. I'm a decent guy. I don't care if you don't believe what I do. I welcome you to believe how you want and we can get along. Why the hell are you attacking me? Because, by attacking all religion you are attacking me and of course that is going to make people feel threatened. Most athiests throw the term around "common sense" to describe their way of belief. "Why can't religious people just have common sense like me?" Well, why don't you start using some of that abundant common sense you have and realize all religions are not equal and quit attacking and ridiculing everyone that believes in God. Athiests are some of the most intollerant, hypocritical people I know and don't even have the 'common sense' to see that.

March 24, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
    • ari

i will answer your question as truthfully as possible.

the vast, vast majority of people who call themselves "skeptics" or "militant atheists" have never known a second of discrimination. they are middle or upper class. they are male. they are white, they are straight, they are well-educated. they hold good jobs. they live in nice parts of town.

most people would love to be like them, but they feel as though something is lacking. they WANT to feel oppressed. they desperately want in on this "persecuted group" thing. so they go after absolutely everything that offends them even slightly–often resulting in hilarity–in order to prove their point.

March 24, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Comparing religion to medicine, now that is funny.

March 24, 2013 at 6:22 pm |
    • G to the T

Ari – ironic that your response was anything but truthful, but only represents your opinion of what you think is in the hearts/minds of others. Please stop bearing false witness against others...

April 18, 2013 at 11:07 am |
  5. Fundies Gone Wild

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0-04VDrCbM&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
  6. ari

a rich white guy. how original!

March 24, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
  7. Etch A. Sketch

Can you religious nuts answer this question for me please:

What the heck is this thing you keep calling "God"????

A Nobel Prize and doctorate degree awaits the person who can rationally answer this question.

And if you can answer this question ... please explain how the "God" of whatever fairy-tale book you worship ... satisfies your argument.

Thanks in advance!

March 24, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Chad

See Genesis 1

March 24, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Chad, I see it. Now what?

March 24, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
    • Sue

Chad: see Leviticus.

March 24, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • jd

Simply because I exist on a Planet about a billion light years from any other currently living form of life, not chemicals, elements or gases, and how I don't see this as some random thing – there is something greater than you and I and the evidence is all around you.

March 24, 2013 at 6:31 pm |
    • Michael

March 24, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
    • Nicodemus Grumpschmidt

jd: To quote you, the evidence is all around that YOUR god does not exist. You seem to think that the term "higher power" can only be the god YOU believe in. How ridiculously selfish! And when you look at all the traits this god has been imbued with by his human creators, his flaws come through will glaring clarity when it comes to floods, famine, war, pestilence, meteorological phenomena, etc. And don't bother going into god apology mode. These so-called attributes of his are supposed to be absolute and unfaltering, yet you believers are quick to defend him when disaster strikes out of the blue. Please, start thinking.

March 24, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
    • G to the T

@Michael "Your Creator! The same one you curse when it to hot out side are when you smashed your finger, the one you get mad at when everything goes wrong yes -that one!"

LOL... cultural colloquialisms do not infer the existence of a god. That's like saying Jesus must be the son of god because we ended up using a system that counts years from the calculated date of his birth. In fact, I've made it a point to say "Gods damnit" these days, just so as not to confuse people like you... 🙂

April 18, 2013 at 10:11 am |
  8. WayOutThere

Fighting against the discrimination against atheists, REALLY? I guess I must be living in a bubble, because I have not once come across a restaurant that would not serve atheists. Or ever known an atheist for loosing his/her job because he/she did not believe in that "spaghetti monster in the sky." Maybe we have to go back way before I was born, when atheists had no voting rights, or had to sit in the back of the bus, or had their own "separate but equal" schools. Or go even further back to look at the root cause of why the founding fathers REALLY had to put in that clause to separate church and state. It must have been to protect those atheists that everyone likes to kick around.

March 24, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
    • End Religion

Don't you have access to Google, or are you willfully ignorant?

March 24, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
    • Christ

Great comment! If it didn't happen to me, then it must've happened to anybody! right?

March 24, 2013 at 6:20 pm |
    • ari

end religion, are you unaware that those laws mentioned in your second link are unenforceable, or are you aware of this but are still throwing a hissy fit?

March 24, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
    • WayOutThere

There are also many silly laws that no one ever follows anymore. The laws you put out there will never hold up in today's court. Next, you will say "uncaged bears are discriminated against" (http://www.nwmissourinews.com/news/article_3afc7840-6b3e-11e2-97fc-0019bb30f31a.html) and fish are unjustly stereotyped as drunkards (http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/ohio). See, I can google anything that proves my point too!

March 24, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
    • End Religion

I guess you answered my question: willful ignorance (the hallmark of a nutter). You can easily find atheist discrimination, but I understand you want to trivialize it and discount it, since, well, you're not an atheist.

March 24, 2013 at 8:21 pm |
  9. Josh

You people and your beliefs just blow my mind. I will never understand how level headed adults can believe something so ridiculous as the teachings of organized religion. In any other part of your lives you would call such outlandish ideas ludicrous. The best conclusions I can gather: you are completely brain washed or you are so afraid of the unknowns (death, origin of life, etc...) that you have to stick your head in the sand and believe in a fairy tale. Regardless, humans gradually get smarter with every new generation. Eventually, your archaic beliefs will fade away and mankind will finally begin to realize his true potential.

March 24, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
    • lolwut

This comment is fresh and original!

March 24, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
  10. Regina Spektor

So how about if all militant atheists to go to hospitals and wars and attempt to convince anyone who is praying that they are wrong to be asking god for help.

March 24, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
    • IslandAtheist

Why would a lovely god need to be asked?

March 24, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
    • End Religion

Regina, your god has a plan, does he not? Why would you pray to him to ask anything? According to the book he does what he wants. You and your prayers mean nothing to him.

Pro Tip: Your god doesn't exist.

March 24, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

To question Gods will and infinite wisdom is blasphemy! God will do what God will do, your prayers are actually insulting and blasphemous to think that you can control Gods will.

March 24, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
    • Regina Spektor

But people are comforted by prayer when there is nothing else they can do. So why would you take that away from them?

March 24, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • Josh

Because Regina, the alternative to prayer is action and accountability. These things, in the long run, are much more comforting and useful then shutting your eyes and talking to yourself...just saying.

March 24, 2013 at 6:48 pm |
    • Regina Spektor

Yes, action and accountability, absolutely. But there are times when action and accountability have been satisfied and there is nothing else that you can do. The cancer treatment has been taken, the doctor's orders have been followed, but my father is dying and there is nothing else I can do, but I still want to do something. Why can't my father pray if he wants to, and why can't I pray for him if I want to?

March 24, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
    • Nicodemus Grumpschmidt

We're not saying they're wrong. We're just saying they have just a good a chance of recovering if they pray to any other fictional character such as the tooth fairy or the easter bunny.

March 24, 2013 at 7:18 pm |
    • Regina Spektor

Yes, I know. But I still want to pray, so don't tell me I shouldn't.

March 24, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • End Religion

Reggie, no one in your thread told you to stop praying. Your post asserted the strawman to begin with. Hopefully you'll one day see how fruitless it is.

March 24, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
    • Regina Spektor

Yes, this thread has been kind and respectful, sort of. But other threads are not. Praying isn't fruitless if it gives me comfort.

March 24, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
  11. MrMister

Throwing good money after bad.................or bad money after good....................?

March 24, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
  12. Helaine

I don't see that Mr. Stiefel is badmouthing anyone. He is only speaking his mind about what he doesn't believe and encouraging others to do the same. There is so much aggression toward and discrimination against people who don't have religious affiliation; mostly, in my experience, coming from christians. It's interesting to me how defensive christians are in these posts: name calling, assigning unfounded ulterior motives to Mr. Stiefel's cause, and in general sounding very defensive. Always amazes me how fragile christian faith is - seems so many of them are angry and violent against anyone who doesn't think like they do. Guess I shouldn't be surprised; the history of christianity is full of its violence.

March 24, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
    • Answer

They do not like it when you don't believe in their particular belief.

We can be thankful that they do not and can not kill us for it.

March 24, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
    • Helaine

Answer: I believe they do (and have throughout history), in fact, kill lots of people in the name of christ. Most notably Planned Parenthood doctors.

March 24, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
  13. ken west

I agree with 99% of what u say more people need to really c that religion is a cult period the bible is evil or the way religions believe is evil very prejudice

March 24, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • Realist

atheists and religionist need to stop arguing. At the same time, we need to contribute more to science and place disclaimers on religious behavior. Get the god off our dollar bill for one

March 24, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
  14. Mike

It's so cute watching all these believers and non-believers having their silly little pointless arguments....Not realizing most of the real world doesn't give a crap what they believe or don't believe.

March 24, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • Realist

Atheists and christians will one day join us, Realists

March 24, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

You gave a crap to post here .. and realist gave a crap to respond. But I must ask Realist, how is a realist not an atheist?

March 24, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
  15. Brad

After all of his hate for Christians; they respond by praying for him.

March 24, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • Realist

chistians have persecuted atheists throughout history.

March 24, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • Nicodemus Grumpschmidt

As Father Guido Sarducci would say, "You have proof of this?"

March 24, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
    • Nicodemus Grumpschmidt

Well, I guess they can pray for him if it makes them feel better about themselves.

March 24, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

Don't be fooled Brad, this is NOT for him, it is selfishly for them ... they are praying for God's brownie points.

March 24, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
    • Think

What hate?

March 24, 2013 at 6:20 pm |
  16. m ike sposito

The way mans mind is constructed, he is uncapable of understanding the Divinity of God. That is the ROLE of FAITH. You must believe in God. Jesus even said that you have to "Believe" in him. Amen. That is all there is to it.

March 24, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • Realist

you are in insult to human intelligence. Please grow up.

March 24, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
    • Helaine

FYI: incapable

March 24, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
  17. ann

Ugh! An ex-Catholic! As a practicing Catholic, I find ex-Catholics the most unbearable. They just can't leave the Church and shut up. I'll take a Jehovah Witness any day over them.

March 24, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • Realist

I'm glad the 10's of thousands of children abused by their catholic hierarchy spoke out.

March 24, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

When those in the church shuts up, so will we. Listening to those who hid pedophiles complain about relative morality is just too much.

March 24, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
    • Nicodemus Grumpschmidt

Not very christian of you, o spewer of wrath and hate. (Just doing my duty to point this out to you. You're welcome.) 😉

March 24, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
    • Think

Truth will not be silent.

March 24, 2013 at 6:23 pm |
  18. LAST DAY

GOD has so loved the atheists

that He has sent His only Servant (=i.e. the long awaited and anticipated Son of David) now

thus to prove them that it is not a Myth;

GOD is absolutely real!

UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES!

Stiefel, so please, do not waste your money anymore for a lost cause (=i.e. atheism),
    sincerely turn to GOD now; you will be redeemed and have a TREASURE in heaven!

March 24, 2013 at 6:03 pm |
    • Answer

"Still $9.99."

"We do not offer discounts, because this is god's work."

"God needs your money."

March 24, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • Realist

please do not insult our intelligence. If aliens ever came here, they'd look at your religion as we did volcano worshipers.

You and your religion are an embarrassment to humanity..

March 24, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • M

You are an idiot.

March 24, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • LAST DAY

Jesus Water / Jesus Blood

Your Choice – Spring Special – 65% Off!

4 oz./7 oz. Gold Decorative Bottles

UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES!

March 24, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
    • Nicodemus Grumpschmidt

Son of David? Really? Joseph was of David's lineage, not Mary. According to the myth,Jesus was fathered by god, so no connection to David.So much for that bible verse.

March 24, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
  19. Sandy

I consider myself a Christian, and I am perfectly aware of the similarities between Old Testament stories and ancients stories told by other cultures in the same area. However, I think there's truth in all religions, and to me, the similarities between the stories told by different faiths (past and present) increases their credibility rather than detracting from it. At the same time, as a scientist, I accept the idea of evolution, the big bang, and all the other theories of modern science. I think it's very possible that some of the Old Testament stories are metaphorically true rather than literally true, much like the metaphorical parables that Jesus himself was so fond of telling.

For example, do I think the world was created in seven days? Well, I believe in an all-powerful God, so I think He absolutely could have done this if He wanted to, and have done it in such a way that all scientific evidence would point to the contrary (which it does). Or it's possible that the whole point of the creation story is to teach us about the relationships between God, humanity, and the natural world. Perhaps all the details (light on the first day, dry land on the second day, a garden with two trees, the snake, etc) were just a way of explaining these relationships to ancient peoples in terms they could understand.

My position is kind of an unusual one, unfortunately, at least for an American. I tend to keep a lot of push back from people on both sides on the debate. People on both sides try to tell me my position is a ridiculous, wishy-washy one. But I disagree.

To the fundamentalist Christians, I say that the Bible is not a science textbook; its purpose has never been to teach scientific truths, but rather, spiritual ones. I'd also remind them that historically the Church has had to eat its words many times because it was so dead-set on maintaining traditional and literal interpretations of the Bible. The heliocentric theory (Earth revolves around the Sun, and not vice versa) was considered heresy at the time it first came out, but now everyone accepts it as fact, and sees no reason why it would be incompatible with anyone's religious beliefs. Isn't it possible the same thing will soon happen with evolutionary theory? And as for social issues, fundamentalists would do well to remember that for centuries, people have used traditional interpretations of the Bible to justify all kinds of atrocities, from the Crusades to the slave trade. These people fully believed they were in the right, because they thought God had directed them to commit these crimes against their fellow human beings, and they were largely unwilling to even begin questioning their long-held beliefs. Modern Christians should look at history and remember the importance of keeping an open mind and always being willing to question traditional interpretations of the Bible, such as the belief that all members of the LGBT community are sinners who don't deserve the same rights as everyone else. Otherwise, we become just one more entry in the long, sickening history of Christians using religion to justify evil.

To the atheists, I say there's nothing illogical about believing in a higher power. There's no incompatibility between reason and religion, no conflict between science and spirituality. They are two separate things, two distinct but equally valid ways of understanding the world around us. Science deals only with the natural world; anything supernatural, if it exists, is completely outside the realm of scientific inquiry. How could you ever do a controlled experiment involving supernatural variables that can't be controlled? Science can never prove or disprove the existence of an all-powerful supernatural being, it can never prove or disprove the existence of an afterlife, of immortal souls, and so on. Atheism is as much of a belief as any religion; there can never be conclusive evidence that proves there is no God, just as there can never be conclusive evidence that proves there is one.

All that being said, I support what Mr. Stiefel is trying to do. I think we need more tolerance in our society for atheists, agnostics, and anyone who is questioning religion, for the same reasons that we need tolerance for people of all faiths.

March 24, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
    • End Religion

"two distinct but equally valid ways of understanding the world around us"

Sorry, but wrong. We describe our reality via science, not fantasy. You want to base your life on magic, fine, stop using your automobile, don't ever use medicine, please stop typing on your computer. Magic brought us none of that, science did. We do not "understand" the world around us using fantasy. Those who believe are simply denying the reality of our existence because they cannot grasp what it took to happen and cannot fathom that death is a very final end.

March 24, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
  20. Andrew Vrba

So lets recap.
    If you use your money to promote Religious beliefs, you're labeled a bigot.
    If you use your money to promote Atheist beliefs, you're labeled a hero.

March 24, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • Answer

Showing your own persecution viewpoint.

Let's see if you ask your own religious fellows about that. All those billboards you have – and none of the religious people don't call those companies "heroes"? You've been sitting under a rock pretending that you religious freaks don't whip yourselves up in arms and say "NOW that is GOD's work?"

Go fvck off you religious idiot.

March 24, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

If your religious beliefs include the use of the phrase "God hates f@gs" or a similar belief than yes you are correct.

March 24, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • John P. Tarver, MS/PE

Andrew- If you support Darwin's racism and hate religion you are a good CNN friend.

March 24, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

What are Atheist "beliefs"? I don't think you understand the term.

March 24, 2013 at 6:14 pm |