home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. vocalatheist

"...the 38-year-old has made an indelible impact on the nation’s fastest-growing “religious” group: the nonbelievers."
    While the article is fairly informative, the above quote is just pure laziness. Atheism is now a religion? Ridiculous. I also find it slightly amusing that a wealthy atheist using his money to advance skepticism and reason would even be noteworthy. I mean, it's not like he can claim tax exempt status, blather incessantly from the pulpit of his mega-church, and through his money around in an attempt to undermine the separation between church and state. Now that is a story I would love to read about in the CNN "belief blog."

March 24, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
  2. Mitch Miller Guentry

Quick, quick, quick....everybody, look at meeeeeee. I'm an atheist, which means my biggest claim to fame is that I don't believe in God. I need attention. Please, everybody...look at meeeeeeeee!!!!!

March 24, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • Answer

The christian came mocking. Very christ-like.

March 24, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • .

Yawn.

March 24, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • Mitch Miller Guentry

Oooh look at me everybody. My boyfriend left me. He was an atheist. So now I attack atheists.

March 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • Steve

I love how the hypocrisy of how just about every christian anywhere ever has ended there public pronouncements, whether they be at the local post office with friends or on national television at the end of a Superbowl, with "God bless" or "I wanna thank God" is lost on Mitch here.

March 24, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
    • == o ==

Dumb-ass Poe.

March 24, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
  3. FakeItGoodNASA

Hey I have a question...

Nothing against atheists, but does atheism require belief in evolution? If so, then what will happen to their 'belief' when Darwinism, the Heliocentric myth as well as all of NASA's fakery bite the dust?

March 24, 2013 at 7:34 pm |

Nope.

You can skip even evolution if you want to. But that is just plain being ignorant if you want to be educated on the world.

March 24, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
    • Bostontola

Don't forget about the gravity myth.

March 24, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • Allan Boise

To turn your question around, FakeIt, what do you think should happen to Christianity, since time and time again its tenets and claims, such as a flat young earth, and the absence of thousands of extinct species from its creation myths, as well as a large set of medical nonsense, has been proven just plain wrong?

March 24, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • Sue

Brilliant reply, Allan.

March 24, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • freethinkr

Maybe you can tell us via telepathy when the aliens come to take you away.

March 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
    • Tyler

You believe that heliocentrism is a myth? Then I guess you just don't believe in science then. And I'm sorry but you are living a lie if you don't believe in these proven facts.

March 24, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
    • The Tin Foil Hat Brigade Is Here

Another moon walk denier, amonst other things...if I see you bring up Sandy Hook as being a gov't conspiracy, I will come and adjust your hat personally.

March 24, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • Answer

I wonder if moon walk deniers teach that same thing to their kids, like a religion?

March 24, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • vocalatheist

Let's see... you don't believe in evolution, you don't believe the Earth actually orbits the sun, and you don't believe NASA really landed men on the moon. But you do believe in an anthropomorphic deity who has numbered the hairs on your head and think he actually listens to and answers your prayers. Yikes!

March 24, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • JWoody907

No, there's no requirement to believe in evolution, and really no requirement to believe in anything at all. There's also various beliefs inside the atheist community, including the support of the theory of evolution, people who don't really have a consideration of how we as a species came to be but argue that human efforts and focus should be placed on advancing the species and the common good, rather than hailing a fictional deity.

Really, atheism is nice in that there isn't a requirement to believe anything, it's just a collection of people who don't believe in a god or gods.

March 24, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
    • cmt123

Allan, perhaps you should read the Bible before dispelling its beliefs....nowhere in the Bible does it say the world was flat...in fact, if you recall, the Bible references sin being cast from East to West, an obvious depiction of a globe...if sin were to be spread from North to South, you would eventually head in the opposite direction, which you do not if you go East to West...I would love to mentor you in the ways of Christ...have time?

March 24, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
    • The Vocal Atheist

Genesis 1:16
      "God made two great lights–the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars." Oopsies!

March 24, 2013 at 8:38 pm |
  4. Bostontola

Religious people still discriminate against atheists in the workplace.

March 24, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • Answer

I wonder if being a black, and openly gay atheist is the worst of all things in this current environment?

March 24, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
    • The Tin Foil Hat Brigade Is Here

Only is he is engage to be married, Answer.

March 24, 2013 at 7:48 pm |
  5. John P. Tarver, MS/PE

One of the key differences between religion and science is that over time science changes. Notional hypothesis such as the big bang and evolution as a means to species have been found to be false and once that happens the believers in these ideas are beyond a leap of faith. This is why seperation of church and State must do something to remove the atheist religion from our public schools; as a matter of seperation of church and State.

March 24, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • Allan Boise

Yeah, John, nothing will change the biblical statements that the earth is flat (as well as round), and is young. Wrong, as well as self-contradictory and inconsistent.

The bible actually has changed significantly over centuries, but large parts of it are just simply and obviously wrong.

Do get over your delusions. It's high time.

March 24, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
    • John P. Tarver, MS/PE

Allan- Is it your position that the bible was once science? Perhaps your claim is true, but like the big bang and the notion that evolution is a means to species, there is no place in our public schools for teaching religion as science.

March 24, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
    • Answer

Religion belongs in a church not in schools.

March 24, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • Sue

Careful, Allan. John Tarver is a slippery eel. Now he is trying to slip in an attempt at making his bible stories equivalent to evidence-backed science, which they are not.

Shame on you, John Tarver, you deceptive slimeball.

March 24, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
    • clarity

@JPT: No, what is, in fact happening, and has always been happening since its inception, is that the more your ilk pushes to limit advancement and attempt to inject religion into government and its domain, the more the wall of separation is in fact, spread and applied. If you read Madison's notes and thoughts on his handiwork, it's quite obvious that is what he intended.

But also, I have to ask – can you give an example of, what you refer to as, the "atheist religion in our public schools"?

March 24, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

John, I can't believe that you really believe that; you certainly have no evidence. Post here what has shown the big bang and evolution to be incorrect.

March 24, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • clarity

Sue – he has been rattling off BS all day.

March 24, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • John P. Tarver, MS/PE

I equate obsolete science revered as religion as a violation of church and State, where the religion of obsolete science is taught.

March 24, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • A PhD (Emory University, Neuroscience)

John P. Tarver, I'm sure you're not as moronic as you seem. I'm not a believer, but it causes me pain to see you prancing around pretending to be a believer and abysmally stupid as well. I don't believe you. Go find another hobby.

March 24, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

JPT
      What science do you feel is obsolete and why? Where is the religion of obsolete science taught?

March 24, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
    • clarity

Yeah – let's get a follow-up on this from JPT – maybe just for once, he'll provide something besides a deluded headline.

March 24, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
    • John P. Tarver, MS/PE

phd- If you don't believe me then you can read the 1400 page tretise on the subject written by Dr. Gould. Gould does go on to support rapid, or random mutation evolution, but of course without evolutipon as a scientific basis, punctuated evolution is a baseless assertion; under the scientific method.

March 24, 2013 at 7:59 pm |

• Tarver, I can't guess what Stephen Jay Gould would think of current theories and evidence. Even Chad knows he's been dead for over a decade.

March 24, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
    • JWoody907

Save for the factual point that the Big Bang and evolution have been shown to have evidence to support them.

As you pointed out, science is willing to evolve overtime. When hypothesis are proven incorrect or in need of change, science changes them and then tests again to see how it works. Religion exists in the absence of change, you can show that religion is wrong and it will continue to claim it's infallibility without end.

March 24, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
    • clarity

So THAT's what all this is about, Tarver?? That has been argued he time and again by those who don't keep up to date with science. You're talking about out of date science and you're the one who can't keep up. Jeez.

March 24, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
    • John P. Tarver, MS/PE

Jay Gould's life work is his attempt to reconsile evolution with the hard physical evidence from geology. The layer of iridium 24 between eras with old species on one side and new species on the other caused Dr. Gould to try and create a means whereby evolution might be true. Consider for a moment that only 1% of species exist from the last mass extinction barrier and then try to see the logical paradox that species evolve over a long period of time.

March 24, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
    • Skarphace

Science was meant to change over time as new technologies and evidence becomes available. This is why scientists call their conclusions 'theories' instead of 'facts'. A theory is only valid as long as it has not been disproven. Contrary to what you seem to believe about scientists, they do not hold onto theories that have been disproven through scientific method.

This highlights the difference between science and religion. While new theories are developed and disproven theories are discarded, science progresses and becomes more and more accurate. Religious teachings, on the other hand, are regarded as fact, not theory, as they supposedly come from a higher power. These teachings are not discarded as they are disproven and therefore religion stagnates and does not progress.

If you want religious teachings to be taught in school instead of science, merely enroll your child in a school that teaches the religious ideas you adhere to. It is as easy as that. Leave science to those who value reason over dogma and leave religion to those who want to keep believing what they were taught to believe regardless of any evidence to the contrary.

March 24, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Tarver, species don't evolve at a uniform rate. You should think of evolution as landscape with selection pressures as mountain peaks. The mountain peaks are scattered and isolated. Genetic information is moving along the landscape. Most of the time nothing much happens – stability and gradualism. A peak is encountered and the genetic information is significantly transformed by going over it – speciation or extinction.

March 24, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
    • John P. Tarver, MS/PE

The scientific method requires a theory to be demonstrable and repeatable, like relativity; a standard Darwin's notional hypothesis never met. Yet "origin of species" is still taught falsely as a theory, even though the core notional hypothesis has been proven false by geology. Therefore taching evolution as a means to species in public schools is a violation of the seperation of church and State.

March 24, 2013 at 8:28 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Here John, you need a spell checker. It's separation (not seperation) of Church and State.

March 24, 2013 at 8:30 pm |
    • Impman

If god is real then only Atheists will be in heaven. Live in the moment and start to love each other and yourselves now because this IS your life NOW. there is nothing else. Get a grip on that then enjoy your life and treat others life just as precious.

March 25, 2013 at 12:43 pm |
  6. Heythere

What i see in these comments are Atheists being much more up front and honest with what they believe, even if it comes of sounding harsh. Theists use huge amount of passive aggressive wording when they right. since there only proof is a man made written book there is not much to be able to argue. With Atheist and not having to use another persons words to argue their case, feel this give atheists a much broader spectrum to argue from. I don't feel that i am an Atheist but reading what some people keep writing about religion and how it is suppose to serve them, makes me want to belittle those people to. There is believing in a hire power and then there is believing fully in a bible that was written by kings to control the masses. The first one is respectable, the second is believing in a fairytale or harry potter, just because you have never seen a wizard as long as you have faith in wizards then they are real:)

March 24, 2013 at 7:30 pm |
    • Saving the earth,one pithy comment at a time

Perhaps it is time you strolled on down to the local library and TRY? to take out a book on atheism..Sam Harris-end of faith..The god delusion by Richard Dawkins or god is not great,by the late,great Christopher Hitchens.Go for it.What do you have to lose my friend?

March 24, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
    • ..and for the good news;there is no Satan either !

.or slide over to youtube and check out Sam Harris @ U of Notre Dame.

March 24, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
  7. Bostontola

--–

March 24, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
  8. Adam

Atheism is NOT a religious group. But that is not to say that atheists do not have their own personal beliefs. Atheism is just one part of a persons personal ideology. This is what is so confusing to Christians. They see their religion as interchangeable with their ideology. They say they don't just believe in Christianity, they ARE Christians. Atheists simply do not believe in any Gods because of the lack of evidence for them, however that is not the core of their belief system that they would say makes them moral or informs their choices, that would be "being human" which is by far the larger part to most atheists ideology.

i·de·ol·o·gy (d-l-j, d-) n. 1. The body of ideas reflecting the social needs and aspirations of an individual, group, class, or culture. 2. A set of doctrines or beliefs that form the basis of a political, economic, or other system.

As you can see, the absence of God does not remove a persons ideology and you can have all the same "social needs and aspirations" without proclaiming your devotion to one invisible deity or another..

March 24, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • John P. Tarver, MS/PE

Atheism became a religion when the global geological record proved species occur rapidly following a mass extinction, the opposite of evolution. For th past 40 years the athiest religion has been falsely taught as science, when it is not.

March 24, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

John, None of what you say is true. Atheism is not a religion. Evolution is a fact; if you have more information than the world's scientists, do share with us.

March 24, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • John P. Tarver, MS/PE

The global geological record proved evolution as a means to species false 40 years ago, but Saint Nicolas is real.

March 24, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • Skarphace

John: "the global geological record proved species occur rapidly following a mass extinction, the opposite of evolution."

Wrong. Speciation is a part of the theory of evolution. The opposite is the theory (Christians would call it 'fact') of creationism. The theory of creationism states that God created all species on the same day. Therefore, according to creationists no new species have come into being since species were first created. Creationsists hold that there is only subspeciation, not speciation. In other words, all forms of feline came from the first species of cat that God created. If two species can in fact produce offspring then they are in fact subspecies of the same species.

Therefore, your statement is a contradiction.

March 24, 2013 at 8:40 pm |
    • G to the T

@ John – I'll bite John, what's your proof that falsifies evolution? If you are referring to puctuated equilibrium, I believe you will find that it is complimentary to evolution and does not counter it in any significant way.

April 18, 2013 at 11:10 am |
  9. Mark

Unfortunately, "Bible study" in most churches is starts with the dogma of a particular brand of Christianity and interprets the Bible through that lens. Most Christians know nothing about 200 plus years of Bible scholarship. this is a disservice to the congregation

March 24, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
  10. lesliedevereaux

Internet atheistic approach: insult, slander, accuse, blaspheme. Psalm 14:1 says it best: "The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt. They do abominable deeds. There is none who does good."

March 24, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • Answer

Persecution complex. It works on you.

March 24, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
    • .

Time for a refresher course from Mathew 7. Get cracking, toots.

March 24, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
    • Apple Bush

lesliedevereaux, I don't say it with my heart. Hearts don't make language. Keep trying.

March 24, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • Bob

lesliedevereaux, speaking of abominable deeds, the Christian book of horrors AKA the bible is chock full of demands purportedly from the nasty Christian sky fairy to do all manner of violence including torture, rape, and murder, such as the following:

Numbers 31:17-18
      17 Now kiII all the boys. And kiII every woman who has slept with a man,
      18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Deuteronomy 13:6 – “If your brother, your mother’s son or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul entice you secretly, saying, let us go and serve other gods … you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death”

Revelations 2:23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Leviticus 25
      44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.
      45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.
      46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Note that the bible is also very clear that you should sacrifice and burn an animal today because the smell makes sicko Christian sky fairy happy. No, you don't get to use the parts for food. You burn them, a complete waste of the poor animal.

Yes, the bible really says that, everyone. Yes, it's in Leviticus, look it up. Yes, Jesus purportedly said that the OT commands still apply. No exceptions. But even if you think the OT was god's mistaken first go around, you have to ask why a perfect, loving enti-ty would ever put such horrid instructions in there. If you think rationally at all, that is.

And then, if you disagree with my interpretation, ask yourself how it is that your "god" couldn't come up with a better way to communicate than a book that is so readily subject to so many interpretations and to being taken "out of context", and has so many mistakes in it. Pretty pathetic god that you've made for yourself.

So get out your sacrificial knife or your nasty sky creature will torture you eternally. Or just take a closer look at your foolish supersti-tions, understand that they are just silly, and toss them into the dustbin with all the rest of the gods that man has created.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

March 24, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • Allan Boise

Awesome post, Bob. Good points. Christians, those quotes are straight from your holy book, before you go accusing us again of "bashing" or being mean. Get over that already.

March 24, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

"They are corrupt" – I can't imagine how. I'm not aware of anything I do that would seem unfair or dishonest.

"They do abominable deeds" – actually we probably do mostly the same things. Some of us just don't tack on god-worship in addition to our other deeds.

"There is no who does good"- Most of us give to charities, volunteer, and do what we can to make the world a peaceful place where everyone will enjoy living.

March 24, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
    • sam stone

wow. nothing more impressive than being able to quote a book. good work on getting them synapses to fire, gash

March 24, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
    • .

Leslie's blog, which is touted as "lesliedevereaux
      The greatest WordPress.com site in all the land!" has exactly one entry:
      "Hello world!" Apparently the world finds her as boring as I do; it hasn't answered in 7 months.

March 24, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • ..and for the good news;there is no Satan either !

OK.Thanks for the unfounded generalizations.Please don't pick on us for refusing to follow the great MAFIA-BOSS in the sky.Why do you insist upon insulting people who think differently than you.Does it make sense when Muslims insult and threaten you and your way of life?..anyhow STFU !

March 24, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
    • G to the T

Ironic that you manage to insult, slander and accuse atheists while claiming that they are the ones doing it...

April 18, 2013 at 11:12 am |
  11. Phazon

A house does not create itself you can suggest life came from nothing but yet you see evolution not creating houses come now your wisdom in the wisdom of men is what makes you ignorant.

March 24, 2013 at 7:21 pm |

Oh a square planet.

Look at that in the sky. Did you find one?

March 24, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by 'Phazon' is an instance of the Argument from Ignorance fallacy

March 24, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

What you don't understand about evolution speaks volumes.

March 24, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Evolution has led to many animals having shelter created by their own bodies, like the chambered nautilus. Other animals have evolved to seek shelter. Still other animals, us for example, evolved to create shelter by modifying the environment – we build houses from things we take out of the environment.

March 24, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Evolution doesn't build houses, therefore the theory of evolution is wrong. Got it.

March 24, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Life didn't come from nothing. It came from elements produced by the big bang forming amino acids; the exact mechanism is unknown but several experiments have proven that it is possible. So life was formed and then species evolved. Definitely no creator (or assembler) required at least since the big bang and probably not before that.
      Face it dude, that bible is factually incorrect – they just want your tithe, they have expensive lifestyles.

March 24, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
    • sam stone

and from where do you derive your "wisdom", phazon?

March 24, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
  12. sippyjuice

Hey CNN, non-believers are not part of a religious group.

March 24, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
    • Answer

Don't worry over it. Labeling attempts have happened countless times.

Pigeonhole. Make anything stick. D-e-m-o-n-i-z-e.

You'll learn the various tactics under wraps.

March 24, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
  13. sippyjuice

Hey CNN, non-belief is not a religious group...

March 24, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
  14. Ed

What surprises me isn't so much the article, but the people responding. Those who are believers, comment and respond without rudeness. Those who are atheist, or agnostic if you prefer, are responding to the believers with maliciousness. This is the way of ignorance, whether you believe or not.

March 24, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
    • End Religion

We've been polite for 2000 years as you burned us at the stake, hunted and killed us. We're not being so polite any longer. Your notion of deserving respect for worshiping an imaginary pedophile is disgusting and laughable. Grow up.

March 24, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • Sue

Actually, Ed, I can readily find both pleasant/polite comments and animosity/rudeness from both sides. Which posts are you reading?

March 24, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • sam stone

really, ed? you have not read believers bloviating proxy threats or insults?

March 24, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
    • Nicodemus Grumpschmidt

Ed, are you actually reading all of the responses? There's just as much vitriol on the believers' side as you claim there is on the atheists' side. Try to be a little more objective here.

March 24, 2013 at 8:32 pm |
  15. Pallas Athena

I'm not buying any of their atheist products. This is a form of Christian bashing and it's wrong. I believe in God and should be able to practice my religion as my personal faith dictates without someone always trying to convince me to do otherwise. To keep trying to downplay my faith is wrong and that is religious harassment. If you need facts, Sodom and Gomorrah fell and that HAS been proven. Also, from what I understand ALL atheists go to Hell without exception so if you think it's bad now....

March 24, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • Answer

You have those good christian thoughts of us burning. It works for your own little comforts.

Go right on ahead with those fire and brimstone.

March 24, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Telling us we are destined to an eternity of torture is exactly the kind of abuse we are fighting against. Teaching this to children is tantamount to child abuse. Your concepts of fair judgment are abysmal and immoral.
      That's just one example of what we abhor about your "religion".

March 24, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • End Religion

Your religion is childish. Grow up.
      Let me get this straight, Sodom and Gomorrah fell therefore a guy with a beard lives in the clouds? Completely logical...
      There is no hell, idiot. Your threats mean nothing. Take the thumb our of your mouth.

March 24, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
    • Sue

great points, AtheistSteve.

March 24, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
    • Nicodemus Grumpschmidt

Oh, you poor victimized christian. I feel so sorry for you. Do you need a handkerchief?

March 24, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
  16. Justin H

As an atheist, I am happy for his efforts. While I do not expect to see all Americans abandon their religion, I would like to see a revolution of secular reason invade the public square. I would like to see government decisions made on the basis of civil rights, rational thought, and scientific evidence. In the 21st century, there is no reason for the pervasive and archaic religious based thinking in the public square.

March 24, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

What do you mean, when your say, RIGHTS? literal translation please.

March 24, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • Yakobi

stop shooting DARK mohammad matter from your ass

March 24, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
  17. mrchumpy

I HAVE COME TO THE INTERNET TO ARGUE ABOUT RELIGION.

Let the reasoned debate commence.

March 24, 2013 at 7:07 pm |

You've came shouting.

That's a classic troll.

March 24, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Religions are hinduism, corruption of truth absolute by hindu Sanatans, filthy goons to justify hinduism racism by making human gods, a hindu filthy trick of hindu dark ages, hindus stupids still follow hinduism corruption of truth absolute called religions, even though almost no one believe Kings and their hindu Prophets fortune tellers to be gods of human. Shear hinduism, stupidity.

March 24, 2013 at 7:12 pm |

Islam, wipe time. Hands.

March 24, 2013 at 7:13 pm |
    • Topher

What would you like to debate?

March 24, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • Answer

As soon as the question is asked Gopher will leave. So let it begin and end at the same time.

March 24, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

don't worry you atheist goon Answer, my father did and his father and his father they all used hands, and I am not ashamed of using my hands, I have no problem cleaning your ass too, with my bare hands, for an extra dollar, I would lick your dar matter too!!!

March 24, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
    • Answer

Islam came from camel, father. Oh good. Nice to see where, hands, filth, came from.

March 24, 2013 at 7:18 pm |
    • sam stone

topher: i would like to debate why anyone would want to worship such a vindictive petty pr1ck, if not out of fear

March 24, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • Topher

sam stone

Hey, Sam. You getting any of this snow? It's like a blizzard here.

" i would like to debate why anyone would want to worship such a vindictive petty pr1ck, if not out of fear"

Well, we love Him because He first loved us. He left His throne so take the punishment we deserve. He gave His life so that we can live. And as to your point about fearing Him ... we SHOULD fear Him. Jesus said in Matthew 28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell."

March 24, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
    • sam stone

the punishment we deserve?

wow.

without guilt, your belief system is dead in the water.

according to you, god created man knowing man would "sin". so, god would be glorified for his "justice" or his "mercy". basically, we are pawns in god's self-glorification fantasy. and you want to worship this pr1ck?

March 25, 2013 at 3:15 am |
    • sam stone

more blah, blah, fvcking blah empty proxy threats.

your god is impotent.

your guilt is self imposed

you are a snivelling sycophant

March 25, 2013 at 3:19 am |
  18. lesliedevereaux

Well, at least there is an atheist that is doing something to improve various societies. While most atheists simply satisfy their desires instead of contributing to the community, this man is actually serving. BUT, if he is correct then all of his efforts - along with all people that have served throughout history - are pointless. Again: nothing matters if there is no God and afterlife.

March 24, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
    • Answer

What a surprise that you favor your delusion and say that. Couldn't have guessed you were to associate -out of need- to self approve that it came from god.

March 24, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • .

"Satisfy their desires?" You haven't a clue about what an atheist really thinks, do you? It appears you are just repeating the latest fire-and-brimstone pap you heard st the sermon you came from educate yourself. You know zip.

March 24, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

We are in the position of defining what matters. We do that and work towards those things – generally by trying to make the world a place where everyone will enjoy living.

March 24, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

How terribly limited is your evaluation of life if you think it's pointless without an imaginary overlord and some magic live-forever card. Inexplicably you've convinced yourself that you are worthless. Charming.

March 24, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
    • darthjhova

I'm truly sorry you can't see the beauty in the universe without the veil of God obstructing your vision.

March 24, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • sam stone

so, leslie: your current life does not matter? why are you here? would you not be happier on your knees in front of the savior?

March 24, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • CMFJ

"While most atheists simply satisfy their desires instead of contributing to the community..."

You have a rather distorted, and likely completely speculative, view of atheists. Your assumption that atheists do not contribute to the community is wrong. I am an atheist and I contribute to my community through charitable work, but I also view my profession (medical research) as something that contributes to mankind. That my work in science could contribute to our civilization is very important to me.

"BUT, if he is correct then all of his efforts – along with all people that have served throughout history – are pointless. Again: nothing matters if there is no God and afterlife."

You are essentially saying that you cannot comprehend anything other than what you believe. In your construct of existence, apparently your motivation requires god and the afterlife. Instead of coming to the logical conclusion that atheists simply have a different paradigm for why life matters, you just assume that atheists do not care about anything.

Atheists love their family and friends just like you do. They care about the world, about their fellow man, and about being good people. You many not be able to understand why, but they do. Just because you are do not understand why they do it, does not mean they do.

March 24, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
  19. organically

Religion is the biggest scam in the history of humanity

March 24, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
    • Answer

Filthy hands. No toilet paper.

March 24, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

so true religions have created bhungs like me, I shoot dark matter from my ass, and use my hands to wipe it clean, but I would never accept paper towels because it is a creation of atheist goons

March 24, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
    • Answer

Make sure you wipe every bit. Most important hands.

March 24, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
  20. Mel

Im a believer in Christ. Ive never forced my faith on anyone that didn't want to hear. I never judged someone because they didn't believe. Its funny how there are all these atheists trying to force their beliefs on everyone else. Like I have said many times at one point and time in life, WE will ALL find out one day when we die. Ive come across many atheists and the first thing they do is mock others. How is that understanding?

March 24, 2013 at 6:58 pm |
    • .

I don't think you have met even one atheist, let alone many.

March 24, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
    • Science

Mind mapping NO GOD(S) REQUIRED!

Gone but Not Forgotten: Yearning for Lost Loved Ones Linked to Altered Thinking About the Future

Mar. 18, 2013 — People suffering from complicated grief may have difficulty recalling specific events from their past or imagining specific events in the future, but not when those events involve the partner they lost, according to a new study published in Clinical Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science.

Maybe the bible needs to be updated

Have a great day !

March 24, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • Noah

No one finds out anything when they die, because one cannot think if they don't exist.

March 24, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
    • jimbob

Like serial killing and mass murder it is impossible to understand.

March 24, 2013 at 7:18 pm |
    • Sue

Mel, your post makes you a hypocrite.

March 24, 2013 at 7:18 pm |