home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. EDWARD

Go to Google, punch in Robert Ingersol, and do a little reading.

March 24, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
  2. Mitch Miller Guentry

Ok, what if I also wear silk trousers ? Kewl ?

March 24, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
    • Stich smiller daughtry

Do you also support nudist colonies?

March 24, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
  3. Mitch Miller Guentry

Ok, what if I am a vegetarian, wear black framed glasses, am gay, wear PETA shirts, play acoustic music,don't believe in God, eat only organic veggies.......AND I add bowling shoes to my wardrobe.....will I be the kewlest ?

March 24, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
    • Stich smiller daughtry

Do you also drive a Toyota Prius? Do you also cuss a lot? do you also support abortion? In other words, do you support mammal rights?

March 24, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
  4. Roberto

How sad Todd. Hope you don't "wake up" too late!

March 24, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
  5. Christards Gone Wild!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0-04VDrCbM&w=640&h=390]

March 24, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
  6. Mitch Miller Guentry

If I shop at Whole Foods and pay $16 for an organic orange AND I become gay, will that raise my kewl status even more ?

March 24, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
    • Mitch Miller Guentry

I already do that and I am.

March 24, 2013 at 7:59 pm |

• Not interesting.

March 24, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
  7. Mitch Miller Guentry

black framed glasses....check
    Kafka book in hand.....check
    PETA t shirt .....check
    regurgitated rhetoric to spout about God not being real.....check
    ................oh yeah, I'm one kewl dude!!!!!!!

March 24, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
    • Gaydar

is on fire

March 24, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
    • Doc

Thinking abilities disabled.............check
      Lobotomy performed, just in case any reasoning faculties are still active.......check
      'GOD H8S F.AGS' T-shirt.................check
      Armed with 2000 year old arguments for invisible old men in the sky that have been refuted on countless occasions.......check

................oh yeah, I'm one kewl religie!!!!!!!

March 24, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
  8. Len F.

One of the more interesting contrasts I see sociologically between atheists and Christians, say, in America, is that of their respective capacity to self-organize.
    Granted that we could almost say that 'Christianity' doesn't even exist to the degree that there are such numerous competing and contradictory denominations, Christians by and large on at least some level see their job description as involving the spreading of the Gospel and leading people to Christ.
    And this takes organization.
    They've also had some 2,000 years of practice organizing and making converts, and they tend to gather every Sunday to be reminded of their mission statement.
    It will be interesting, therefore, to see how Todd Stiefel will inject the requisite marching orders into the atheism movement necessary to organize itself in likewise fashion to Christianity.

March 24, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • JC

The rules have changed. We now have the internet.

March 24, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

Sociologically speaking, atheism isn't a group, it's a definition of not believing in theism. Lack of belief is not an organization. A-theists don't "follow", that's the difference. There will be no "marching orders". All he is doing is letting people know it's ok to let go of the indoctrination, you're not alone. Atheism doesn't take over, religions simply fade away.

March 24, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
  9. rexdogcanadien

What proof do we have that there is a God who created the world and all there is in it? This idea of a God who is all seeing, all knowing and all powerful cannot be categorically proven nor can be categorically denied. Therefore, God is irrelevant in our lives. There is but one certainty: All living things were born to die.

March 24, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
  10. Mitch Miller Guentry

I look like so kewl and super smart. I read Kafka and eat spinach wraps while i tell everyone that God isn't real.

March 24, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
    • The Tin Foil Hat Brigade Is Here

You'd be even cooler if you were gay as well.

March 24, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
    • ..and for the good news;there is no Satan either !

If I didn't know better,I would swear you are being sarcastic.Not funny-just sarcastic...and that is probably because you have no strong argument to counter the atheists on this thread.But that's OK,neither do any of your other religious pals..

March 24, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
    • The Vocal Atheist

I suspect you smoke spinach wraps.

March 24, 2013 at 8:30 pm |
  11. russ

Belief in no god is just as illogical as belief in God.

March 24, 2013 at 7:48 pm |
    • Answer

Evidence for god?

Can you explain why you believe?

March 24, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
    • The Tin Foil Hat Brigade Is Here

Finger snaps.

March 24, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

What? .. "Belief" in no God? That sentence makes no sense. Belief in a God(s) is the opposite of NO belief in God(s).
      Here's a proper sentence. "I do not believe in unicorns". NOT "I believe in no unicorns".

March 24, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
    • Gyrogearloose

Yup. That's why, for the most part, I don't waste my time worshiping or trying to convince others not to worship.

March 24, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Russ, Can you explain why you don't believe in Odin, Zeus, Kokopelli, Akua, etc. What evidence do you have that they don't exist?

March 24, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
    • Lilith

Russ, they are not equal. There are infinite things that have no proof or evidence, that does not make them equal, it makes them infinitely improbable. For example it is more probable that an invisible Stegosaurus is orbiting Pluto right now than there are Gods. Why? Because both Stegs and Pluto are known to be/have been real, Gods are not, but yet it is extremely improbable that a Steg is orbiting Pluto right now.

March 24, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
  12. Mitch Miller Guentry

Like, bashing God and supporting gay rights is like the kewl thing to do and stuff. It like totally puts you in the in crowd.

March 24, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • Mitch Miller Guentry

Oooh look at me everybody. My boyfriend left me. He was an atheist. So now I attack atheists.

March 24, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • == o ==

Poe

March 24, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
    • DavidTX

Everyone knows what you are Mitch, and you are doing none of the rest of us any good being exactly what the atheists point at us and say. Not all of us are hateful instigators pretending for Christ.

March 24, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
    • Rapsy

I'm frankly surprised you're not angry at your magical sky daddy for denying you the ability to articulate a point of view other than blaming everyone for being gay.

Maybe you should communicate to him telepathically and ask him to bestow you with more intelligence. When he does, we'll be right here waiting.

March 24, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
  13. Ed

You Xtians are hillarious. You are SO offended by millions spent to promote secular values, while BILLIONS are given to promote religion every year. If xtians didn't constantly try and chip away at the wall between church and state, there would be no need for the man above to do what he does.

March 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • Rapsy

It's so sad when all they have left is to make up their own "science", such as the world only being 6000 years old, and people lived in harmony with dinosaurs. Elect a few of these idiots I to office and then you get to watch them try to sneak creationism into schools.

But point out scientific theories to them that contradict their belief that animals didn't just magically appear out of thin air fully formed, and their heads explode.

March 24, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
  14. Nic

that's a lot of money wasted. goodness how many children could he have saved with these millions!! anybody who was raised having to believe in the old testament would certainly become disgusted and turn atheist. i wish his priest would have told him about the new testament, and not the old. too late!!!

March 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • Bostontola

Don't you love it when other people tell you how to spend your own money.

March 24, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • Ed

How many children could be saved with the BILLIONS wasted on the construction of massive buildings, and the utility costs of mainting these buildings that sit largely empty 6 days a week.

March 24, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
    • lagun_greg

Well Nic, it's really a pity that you have to defend What Yeshua Said to everybody. If it hadn't been that absolutely everybody else in the religion, and especially Paul, weren't hypocrites and liars, you wouldn't have to do that now. but tht act is that Christians have betrayed Christianity, not the world at large. Reading the NT at young age only makes you want top run away from the church, not join it.

March 24, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
    • ..and for the good news;there is no Satan either !

Jesus believed with all his heart-every word in the old testament.Ya,check it out.Was he/it mistaken in his/it's beliefs?..I hesitate giving Jesus a human gender definition.If he was god's son,he was not human,therefore can not be defined as a human male..just sayin'

March 24, 2013 at 8:15 pm |
  15. Mitch Miller Guentry

IMe and my friends are so super kewl. We frequent underground coffee shops and listen to acoustic music while we bash God. We make our own shoes and wear black framed glasses. We're just so kewl and hip. My best bud Matt and I are headed out to grab some micro brews and tell everyone how we don't believe in god cause we're kewl and are at the top of the food chain of kewlness. Did I mention we're vegetarians ? Yep, that adds to the kewlness.

March 24, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • Bostontola

Please tel me you're trolling or you're under 12 years old (or both).

March 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • Mitch Miller Guentry

March 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • Rapsy

It's always hilarious in a " where laughing at you, not with you" kinda way when a person who believes in the power of magical thoughts and sky-fairies attempt to mock others.

What's even funnier is just how hard you're trying. *pats you on the head*. Consider yourself acknowledged. Now run away little religitard and hide yourself away from reality in your magical book of stories, mmmkay.

March 24, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • == o ==

Dumb-ass Poe.

March 24, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • ..and for the good news;there is no Satan either !

You know what kewl guy,I wouldn't mind meeting up with you and your Kewl friends,if you're open to listening to the word of Jesus.Us christians is kewl and understandin'..Ps;I never say NO to a good vegi-burger either...xxooxx..

March 24, 2013 at 8:21 pm |
  16. Bostontola

Religious people discriminate against people of some other religions.

March 24, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • lagun_greg

you mean every other religion.

March 24, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
  17. Heythere

suppose to say when it gets dangerous**

March 24, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
  18. Heythere

I don't believe in god, but i'm not an Atheist. Just because someone has a similar view to something doesn't automatically put them into that category. whats funny to me is i don't know anyone 5 thousand years old to back up theist and i don't recall knowing anyone over billions of years old to back up atheists, yet both sides know there right. once i meet that person i let you all know what happened in the beginning. last thing to add lack of religion has allowed me to open my eyes and take look at many different types of beliefs throughout the world. i feel that religion closes you off to one point of view not allowing more knowledge in. we can all be civil and learn from eachother even if we have contradicting ideas, it's when someone is so set in there ways not allowing new information in is when i get dangerous

March 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
    • Heythere

suppose to say at the end when it gets dangerous*

March 24, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

The difference being that the science is generally repeatable or observable through experimentation. Evolution has been proven because of common descent, distribution, DNA, modern farming, and more; you don't have to have lived for millenia to observe it, we can observe it now.

March 24, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
    • John P. Tarver, MS/PE

You are a very religios man santa, but in fact evolution as a means to species was proven false by the global geological record 40 years ago. Just as the big bang was invalidated by relativity a century ago. A theory under the scientific method must be demonstrable and repeatable, but Darwin invented his own scientific method of his idea being "falsable"; a standad met 40 years ago.

March 24, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
    • clarity

Come on, Tarver – you've been spouting nonsense all day – grow a pair for once and provide some evidence for all this BS. Anyone can make a headline here and you just seem to be a prolific spewer, but with no guts to back stuff up.

March 24, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
    • clarity

Well I guess now we know what Rumplestiltskin Tarver is upset about (see previous page). He's griping about science being taught that's supposedly out of date and he is way out of date on evolution theory. The nerve. But that is so typical. He'll disappear for a while and then return spewing his vast wealth of """"knowledge"""" like he is some wind-up doll from the bargain bin.

March 24, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
    • John P. Tarver, MS/PE

Clarity- I recommend Dr. Gould's 1400 page attempt to reconsile evolutionary theory with the hard physical evidence of geology. As far as modern biology is concerned "origin of specie" is an ant study; devoid of other scientific content.

March 24, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
    • clarity

JPT I suggest you leave Gould the man who's been dead for quite a while and get up to date. These responses already give to you below should highlight that you are the one who is out of date and out of touch with realilty:

==============================

Science was meant to change over time as new technologies and evidence becomes available. This is why scientists call their conclusions 'theories' instead of 'facts'. A theory is only valid as long as it has not been disproven. Contrary to what you seem to believe about scientists, they do not hold onto theories that have been disproven through scientific method.

This highlights the difference between science and religion. While new theories are developed and disproven theories are discarded, science progresses and becomes more and more accurate. Religious teachings, on the other hand, are regarded as fact, not theory, as they supposedly come from a higher power. These teachings are not discarded as they are disproven and therefore religion stagnates and does not progress.

If you want religious teachings to be taught in school instead of science, merely enroll your child in a school that teaches the religious ideas you adhere to. It is as easy as that. Leave science to those who value reason over dogma and leave religion to those who want to keep believing what they were taught to believe regardless of any evidence to the contrary.

============================

Tarver, species don't evolve at a uniform rate. You should think of evolution as landscape with selection pressures as mountain peaks. The mountain peaks are scattered and isolated. Genetic information is moving along the landscape. Most of the time nothing much happens – stability and gradualism. A peak is encountered and the genetic information is significantly transformed by going over it – speciation or extinction.

March 24, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
  19. Mitch Miller Guentry

Please look at me. I need attention.

March 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
  20. Ron from New Jersey

Unfortunately Todd's story falls short of the truth. The New Testament class wasn't the big picture in his call to atheism was it Todd? You had another very deep need to pin our failures on God didn't you?

March 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
    • Eric

You don't beg questions, do you, Ron?

March 24, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • Ted

Eric: Kaching. Awesome.

Ouch. Ron, you'll be able to sit down soon; the redness will go away.

March 24, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • laguna_greg

Oh Ron, who are we supposed to pin the Christian god's failures on, then? Each other?

March 24, 2013 at 8:01 pm |