home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. Robert Middleton

If we got everybody on Earth to pray at the same time, would we blow a fuse in heaven?

March 24, 2013 at 10:30 pm |
  2. Believe

His e-mail is TRS1470@AOL.COM if you want to send a personal message

March 24, 2013 at 10:29 pm |
  3. Buck Rogers

Folks, we need to drop the 'is evolution true' vs. 'is the Bible true' and simply enjoy the scientific entertainment put forth by NASA whilst they hunt for ETs.....

March 24, 2013 at 10:26 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

............and land man on the moon, and develop much of the technology you are using to spew this nonsense in their spare time. Don't forget that.

March 24, 2013 at 10:28 pm |
    • Got faith?

Evolution requires faith

March 24, 2013 at 10:32 pm |
    • JJ

Evolution is proven fact. Religion is conjecture. They are no where near equivalent. Evolution does not make claims about the ORIGIN of life. It makes verifiable claims about how life developed.

March 24, 2013 at 10:34 pm |
    • Got faith?

evolution is a proven fact? Sure it is for the delusional.

March 24, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
    • Dippy

Evolution requires intelligence, something most religious folks are sorely lacking.

March 24, 2013 at 10:49 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

No. It is for thousands of scientists, some of whom frequently use the fact of evolution to diagnose nutjobs like you as the mentally deranged worms that you are.

March 24, 2013 at 10:49 pm |
    • JJ

@Got Faith. Um yes, biologists agree that Evolution is a fact. It can be reproduced in a lab, and has been. We can trace common ancestry through genes. That is far more evidence than any faith-based explanation can present.

March 24, 2013 at 10:57 pm |
    • janey33

JJ...Bioligists agree??? Who cares?? That doesn't make it true. Both biology and genes were created by God. God and science are perfectly compatible. There are several references to science in the Bible.

March 25, 2013 at 3:55 am |
  4. Thus Spoke a Modest Proposer

When you encounter someone who professes to be an Atheist, take the most personally advantageous action: eat him. Atheists are high in protein and a good source of B vitamins and amino acids. Be discreet in your endeavors until Atheists are recgonized as game animals by the state. Remember, you have nothing to fear except law enforcement as long as you have braised, roasted or broiled the Atheist to an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees. They are also good in casseroles and fricassees.
    Atheists are a small and weak minority who should be exploited.
    Make no mistake...I am an Atheist myself...but I will never reveal that to the world. It serves my interests to call myself a Christian in order to further my purposes.
    Do not bore me with notions of how I should obey my "inner moral sense". My moral sense is nothing but a biological construct, a primitive survival advantage I have outgrown...much as I have outgrown the need for God. I can discard them both easily...they are worthless to me...After all, God Is Dead and the only good is what is good for ME. I am the Superman. I am beyond Good and Evil.

March 24, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Captain Strawman!
      Able to jump from conclusion to conclusion without a shred of evidence or relevance to the issue!!!
      It's a bird! It's a plane! It's.............a pile of bullcrap!!!!!!!!

March 24, 2013 at 10:31 pm |
    • Thus Spoke a Modest Proposer

You sound animated. I enjoy lively prey. Are you available for dinner?

March 24, 2013 at 10:34 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

I don't eat dinner with cannibals. I shoot them.

March 24, 2013 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Vic

In the United States, most people believe in God!!! The silent majority!!!

March 24, 2013 at 10:24 pm |
    • End Religion

Enjoy it while it lasts. It's slipping. Bye bye.

March 24, 2013 at 10:26 pm |
    • Dippy

Yep. Sad but true. But people are becoming more enlightened and the tide is turning. Education is the key.

March 24, 2013 at 10:26 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Also the stupid majority. The majority that makes this the only post-industrial country that identifies strongly with anti-intellectualism. Praise jebus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 24, 2013 at 10:27 pm |
    • Carlson

The religious majority in America are anything but silent. If you think otherwise, you're deluded. The religious majority go door to door and preach in the streets, silent is the dumbest descriptor you could pick.

March 24, 2013 at 10:29 pm |
    • Heinrich

It'll be gone before the century is out I guarantee You...

March 24, 2013 at 10:35 pm |
    • Vic

Faith/Belief and Religiosity are two different things!

March 24, 2013 at 10:37 pm |
    • Keith

They are silent for a reason, they are DUMB, ask your average BELIEVER a serious question and they fall apart. They have NO answers other than the old stand bye "you must have faith". When I hear that I laugh and say "I win, you lose" which is always meet by embarrassed silence.

March 24, 2013 at 11:00 pm |
  6. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Dark matter was first docu-mented by Mohammad himself in fart of a donkey, read the Nobel Qur'an, you atheist goons

March 24, 2013 at 10:22 pm |
  7. pseudointellectual

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlZtEjtlirc&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2013 at 10:22 pm |
    • End Religion

Your propaganda is known to contain untruths. What else would we expect from religion?

March 24, 2013 at 10:30 pm |
    • Apple Bush

I wonder why Richard was being so nice to Ben Stein. He is more patient than me.

March 24, 2013 at 10:31 pm |
    • Mekju

The argument that God exists because the universe "must have started somewhere" is the worst argument an Xtian can make. If you can't comprehend that then you must ask yourself how Gawd was created. Don't give us the alpha and omega B.S. If you're argument is that something HAS to have a beginning then it applies to your version of the FSM as well.

March 24, 2013 at 10:53 pm |
    • John

It is strange to watch this while knowing God is there. You can see that he will not accept the truth as it is, that he wants God to be other than he is. He thinks of God as a 'property' he should be able to analyze, rather than a supreme being that can form everything he's studied. He doesn't want God, he wants something else that he can study and be above. He wants to be over God, studying God like some process or characteristic in nature, that he can control. If he can't have that, he wants emptiness rather than God. IMO. I know God is there, so I do not fear death, I know it is just a transition from the physical world, to the spiritual. Jesus showed the way, and he made it possible to know life after death, and forgiveness of sins through his sacrifice. He was sent by God to do this, and I thank him for that, and thank God for sending him. I know he won't listen, but someone has to say it, to say that God is right, and walk away.

March 24, 2013 at 10:56 pm |
    • End Religion

John, your god does not exist. I cleared a space on my desk and asked him to appear, but nothing happens. but we knew it wouldn't, right?

March 24, 2013 at 11:18 pm |
    • John

ER, how can you reject God and then expect him to do something for you afterwards? Besides, you put your trust in the nothing god, and from what I've noted, nothing never does anything, least of all, all at once like at a big bang event that science claims is so easy that nothing can form an entire universe all at once and never again, just because. That's the claim anyway. And yes, the desktop is still cleared here, ready for an enitre universe of matter and energy to form on it. Nothing is super slow today, like yesterday and the days before. Nothing isn't like the fractions of a second claimed for space time to form on my desktop with a universe spinning around and melting everything in sight. Nothing has been lame, that's for sure, not like the science descriptions of it.

Meanwhile, God exists and did what he said he did.

March 24, 2013 at 11:35 pm |
    • G to the T

Is there some pamphlet all the religious people are quoting from? NO theory in science says everything was created from nothing. To say it does just shows an enormous lack of integrity. You want to argue about the origin of the singularity, fine, but stop it with these strawmen arguements or no one will every take your side seriously...

April 18, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
  8. Atheist

I am happy
    I am ethical
    I never think about God
    I came from nothing and when I die I become nothing,
    Some of the finest men were atheists like Richard Dawkins, Steven Hawkings, Stalin, hitler, Mao, Sandra fluke

March 24, 2013 at 10:22 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Please translate word ethical.

March 24, 2013 at 10:26 pm |
    • Atheist

Ethical means abortion

March 24, 2013 at 10:28 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

So bad you were not aborted.

March 24, 2013 at 10:30 pm |
    • Steve

Atheist's are converted when they have an in-depth NDE and realize that you are NOT YOUR brain - mind and brain are separate and more and more people are waking up to that fact - sorry Atheist IS AS WRONG AS THOSE WHOM BELIEVED THAT THE EARTH WAS FLAT!!!

March 24, 2013 at 10:32 pm |
    • End Religion

Mankind understands NDE well. It has nothing to do with imaginary creatures. It is sometimes the fight or flight release of adrenaline or the body's release of dopamine during trauma that cause hallucinations perceived by @3% of the general population. Half of the people experiencing it aren't actually near death. One can experience the same effects with various drugs.

Scathing review from Sam Harris on the Eban Alexander NDE book:

March 24, 2013 at 10:48 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Regarding NDE's and similar experiences: It's important to not make life-altering decisions or plan anything important based on what you became convinced of while your brain was starved for oxygen.

March 24, 2013 at 10:53 pm |
    • Kenny

Neither Hitler nor Mao were atheist. Hitler mentions being lead by god at least a dozen times in Mein Kampf, and Mao believed he himself was a god. Neither of those are consistent with someone who is atheist. It is lies like those by religious nuts like you that help convert more and more people to atheism every day.... So keep up the good work!

March 24, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Rick

Atheists will have all of eternity to spend with their father Satan. They have hardened their hearts and will get what they want.

March 24, 2013 at 10:19 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Boo!

March 24, 2013 at 10:21 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Word Satan and Lucifer means, hindu atheist, filthy denier of truth absolute, self centered, with mind set of a dog, a secular. They deserve each other to be together in hind, hell.

March 24, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
    • End Religion

rick, you're a laughing stock. Peddle your snake oil elsewhere.

March 24, 2013 at 10:32 pm |
    • Kenny

Hate to break it to you, but there is no satan, nor hell for that matter. The fact that atheists realize that is why we are able to lead much more fulfilling lives, free of fear.

March 24, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
    • G to the T

I know in my case it was god that hardened my heart (just like he did the pharo), so it's not my fault that I don't believe. God interfered with my free will!

April 18, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
  10. Ray Briggs

Think how much money this guy could have saved if the teacher who misled him about the Old Testament was someone that understood it. He should take his money and enroll in a class that helps him discover God.

March 24, 2013 at 10:19 pm |
    • Looking ahead

Once someone rejects God, he doesn't make it easy for them to come back. It's like having an anchor strapped to your chest and being tossed into the sea. What's done is done, unless God sees some value to bringing him back.

March 24, 2013 at 10:27 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Ah. "Everybody's doing religion wrong but me!"

March 24, 2013 at 10:38 pm |
    • Heinrich

@looking ahead. So You're answer to it is that Your mystical sky Daddy made it so He wanted Him to become an Atheist? And is choosing not to let Him back?

You are a very sad person indeed. That kind of mentality is the exact thing that needs to be purged from our society.

March 24, 2013 at 10:40 pm |
  11. Journey

99.9% of the so-called atheist in the U.S. were at one time so-called Christians, like this man states that he once was. They got rubbed the wrong way at a church or a youth group, or got their heart broke by someone, and now the whole religion (and religion in general) has to pay for it. Most of them still read the Bible in secret and want to go back to the days when they actually believed...and when they see normal religiously oriented people living normal lives they get even madder and more bitter. In short: 99/9% of atheists are complete losers that wallow in their own anger. We aren't fooled. Ignore them.

March 24, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Who are you talking to, the atheists you are ignoring?

March 24, 2013 at 10:18 pm |
    • J-Pap

Yeah really. Nothing about what you say describes me at all. Typical.

March 24, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
    • Pancake House

We live in the dimly lit basement of our parent's home searching for answers to justify our beliefs.

March 24, 2013 at 10:27 pm |
    • Heinrich

Yeah sure Atheists are planning to take over the world with their evil machines.

What are You 5?

March 24, 2013 at 10:28 pm |
    • Frank

Nice try. But we aren't going to be ignored, and we aren't going away. The world is growing up and one day soon, fairy tales we be only for children.

March 24, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
    • Rapsy

LOL – that's the typical butthurt religitard reponse atheists are used to. Yes, we were hurt by a church, or church member. Unfortunately for you, the majority of Atheists merely actually READ the bible and realized what a pile of poo it truly is.

March 25, 2013 at 6:55 pm |
    • G to the T

Way to bare false witness! Keep up the "good" work...

April 18, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
  12. Answer

If there is no God then there is no right or wrong so don't wet yourself.

March 24, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
    • Heinrich

Okay pally no. Who the hell said atheists have no morals on what's right and wrong? Typical Christian straw man.

March 24, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
    • Answer

The christian c-o-c-k-s-u-c-k-e-r likes to play with names.

Why does atheism made you so afraid?

March 24, 2013 at 10:19 pm |
    • Pancake House

Answer – Your responses are confusing and contrasting. Are your saved or are you lost?

March 24, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
    • Pancake House

Heinrich – I think the question is where do you get the authority to say what is right and what is wrong?

March 24, 2013 at 10:28 pm |

==quote==
      Pancake House

==end==

As you see there is a christian c-o-c-k-s-u-c-k-e-r who likes to use other people's handle when they can't win arguments.
      They can't stand it when they're on the ropes so it's their way to confuse posters.

I'm having fun playing with it.

March 24, 2013 at 10:30 pm |
    • Frank

I don't need an invisible man to tell what is right and what is wrong. The brain that evolved in me for 10,000 generations tells me that.

March 24, 2013 at 10:39 pm |
    • sam stone

right and wrong are defined by society, not god, so don't wet yourself

March 25, 2013 at 3:08 am |
  13. Vic

As Christians in this world, Jesus Christ is our comfort:

Jesus Comforts His Disciples

John 14:1-7

"14 “Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. 3 If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And you know the way where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?” 6 Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

Oneness with the Father

"7 If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.”

Jesus Is the Light of the World

John 8:12

"12 Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, “I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.”"

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

March 24, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
    • End Religion

Please learn to walk in the many footsteps of Bilbo. In His name I pray...

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty wet hole, filled with the ends of earth worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole, with nothing to sit down on or to eat; it was a hobbit hole, and that means comfort."

From the book of Bilbo, 1:1

March 24, 2013 at 11:25 pm |
  14. Rocket

Why do atheist attack Christianity much more than they do Islam. Scared huh, well I guess Muslims do threaten to kill anyone that doesn't follow their beliefs. I can see why athiest would wimp out or tone down their criticism of Islam and harass Christianity instead. Anyway I hate to see Atheist waste soo much money and time

March 24, 2013 at 10:13 pm |

Right back at ya.

Why does the religious right waste so much money on denying global climate change?

March 24, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
    • Heinrich

Because the Muslims aren't shoving it down our throats.

March 24, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
    • doughnuts

Because in this country, the vast majority of the believing public, and the ones making the most effort to turn their faith into the law of the land, are Christians.

March 24, 2013 at 10:22 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

You deal with the strain of a disease that is prevalent in your area first, not the one in Asia.

March 24, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
    • Tony

It is sad to know atheism exists. Those people are lost and will come to find they will not be welcome in the light of God if they don't change their ways.

March 24, 2013 at 10:26 pm |
    • Frank

Heard this argument before. Let's just say I'll clean my own house first. As for islam, it seems to be where christianity was a few hundred years ago, dominant, violent, plagued by factionalism and willing to murder and make war to keep power. That suggests a natural progression of religious philosophy from dominating myth to skeptical questioning to conscious abandonment for science and logic. This seems to be how societies grow up.

March 24, 2013 at 10:46 pm |
  15. Diane

I am praying for him.

March 24, 2013 at 10:12 pm |
    • Answer

We are glad you chose to do nothing. Keep doing it.

March 24, 2013 at 10:12 pm |
    • TheSpeaker

Much good it'll do anyone.

March 24, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
    • Answer

Please pray for me as I am probably headed for Hell.

March 24, 2013 at 10:20 pm |
  16. Futureman1

"All religion is mental illness. Christians are the sociopaths! Muslims are the psychopaths. Jews are the self loathing guilt obsessed, and the others are self absorbed and compulsive"! Every good thing about humanity comes from science and thought... From hunting weapons and fire for the Neanderthals to fusion cells for cars.. It's all science.. Religion has given us 10,000 years of division, war, torture, jihad, manifest destiny, slavery, .. It's all been done in the name of some God be it Zuess, Thor, Odin, Muhammed, or Jesus.. 10,000 years from now two guys will be discussing this.. First guy,, "you mean as late ar 2075 they believed a spirit in the sky created the universe?" ,, "Wow, says the second guy, it's a good thing the Morfisians came from the Andromeda Galaxy and proved to them that the universe was created by Fission and matter, they would still be killing each other over some God"

March 24, 2013 at 10:09 pm |
    • J-Pap

so true.

March 24, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
  17. Spin knows a ???

The United States is headed down the same road as Europe.
    We will soon be economically, intellectually and morally bankrupt, just as they are.

March 24, 2013 at 10:09 pm |
    • Heinrich

Care to elaborate on how Europe is morally corrupt? I think Europeans are quite nice thank You very much!

March 24, 2013 at 10:10 pm |
    • Answer

Let us know if you have ever visited Europe.

March 24, 2013 at 10:12 pm |
    • Spin knows a ???

Who said corrupt? Perhaps your reading comprehension is lacking?

March 24, 2013 at 10:12 pm |
    • Spin knows a ???

@answer: Yes, I have visited Europe. As a matter of fact I have been there too many times to count. My business takes me there frequently. Have you any other questions?

March 24, 2013 at 10:14 pm |
    • Heinrich

Corrupt and Bankrupt are interchangeable. And it doesn't change the fact that Your statement is wrong. Many people from Europe still have religious beliefs.

You should really do Your research before You go making absurd statements like Europe has no morality.

March 24, 2013 at 10:14 pm |

Ya I do.

Let us hear how many viewpoints of all of Europe that you have taken in to make your assessment.

March 24, 2013 at 10:16 pm |
    • TheSpeaker

Yet they consistently rank higher than us (especially in the Netherlands, Sweden, and Norway) in every major and important demographic. Healthiest, life expectancy, education, infant mortality, economic stability, overall happiness, etc. Why wouldn't we want to be one of those?

March 24, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
    • Answer

You must have made effort to cover the whole span of Europe in every niche and culture to make your incredible ignorance come to light. All that vast generalization must be so hard for you to just make up.

March 24, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
    • Spin knows a ???

@heinrich:
      Corrupt and bankrupt are synonyms? I shall have to alert Roget's.

As far as the state of Europe is concerned, I have no need to explain my position.

March 24, 2013 at 10:21 pm |

==quote==

This:

and with this:

" I have no need to explain my position."

====end===

Tells us a lot.

March 24, 2013 at 10:24 pm |
    • Heinrich

Unfortunately You do. Your ignorance on Europe is astounding. The only morally bankrupt and corrupt nation with religious wackamoles is America. The majority of them anyway.

March 24, 2013 at 10:26 pm |
  18. kylef

For the atheists, how was life created?

March 24, 2013 at 10:06 pm |

And your god?

March 24, 2013 at 10:07 pm |
    • Anonymous

From nothing

March 24, 2013 at 10:08 pm |
    • THE REALIST

Please tell us oh wise one!

March 24, 2013 at 10:08 pm |
    • Apple Bush

kylef, I am not sure how life started.

March 24, 2013 at 10:09 pm |
    • Answer

Are you afraid of our answer of "we don't know?"

March 24, 2013 at 10:09 pm |
    • THE REALIST

... too bad you were created when the Doctor kept the afterbirth.

March 24, 2013 at 10:09 pm |
    • Heinrich

I suggest You watch Universe from nothing. It offers a good explanation without a deity involved.

March 24, 2013 at 10:12 pm |
    • kylef

no one knows. so why make fun of a group of people like Christians or any other religion trying to figure it out. Atheism is just another religion and that's where their argument fails: how life began

March 24, 2013 at 10:17 pm |

==quote==

kylef

==end==

Let us hear that again. You religious people haven't figured it out like you said was all figured out in your bible?

Did I hear that?

March 24, 2013 at 10:22 pm |
    • doughnuts

It wasn't "created."

March 24, 2013 at 10:24 pm |
    • G to the T

"how was life created" – Wrong question as it presupposes a creator. If you asked "how did life begin here on Earth" then I might be able to point you to some of the current theories on ambiogenesis...

April 18, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
  19. THE REALIST

*****
    *****

Your GODisIMAGINARY.com (please visit the site) and thank goodness
    ... because he emanates from the EVILbible.com (visit this one as well).

*****
    *****

March 24, 2013 at 10:05 pm |

*****
      *****

Your GODisIMAGINARY.com (please visit the site) and thank goodness
      ... because he emanates from the EVILbible.com (visit this one as well).

*****
      *****

March 24, 2013 at 10:06 pm |
  20. chanel # 5

everyone dies.

any more priests or atheists want some prepubescent fellas? they are going like hot-cakes. we have a special for multi-priests, multi-athies or combos. 7 kids for the price of 8. good while supplies last. for more info call we are the faithful or god-haters abundant life.

March 24, 2013 at 10:00 pm |
    • Answer

Glad to know you feel so afraid of death.

March 24, 2013 at 10:02 pm |
    • The Tin Foil Hat Brigade Is Here

Everyone knows it's the good Christians in their own homes who are the worst pedophiles, chanel #5. Get off your high horse, you enabling denier.

March 24, 2013 at 10:12 pm |