home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) – Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Faith Now

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. Pierre

Romans and Jews were excellent at writing their history, so why is it that Jesus is nowhere to be found in their history? He is only mentioned in religious books. The new testament was written by Greeks 70+ years after the presumed death of JC.

Would you like to read more facts that your priest would never dare tell you? Search for "Did Jesus really live?" written by
    Marshall J. Gauvin 1922

March 24, 2013 at 8:06 am |
    • Blair B

Jesus was referenced in the writings of Josephus, who was a very well known secular Jewish historian living during the time of Jesus.

March 24, 2013 at 8:22 am |
    • Will Mahoney

Blaire – 1 account outside of the bible vs. the entire roman historical records? hmmmm.

March 24, 2013 at 8:26 am |
    • Pierre

Josephus wasn't even born when Jesus presumably died.

March 24, 2013 at 8:43 am |
    • G to the T

Blair – Josephus only references the fact that Christians existed. His piece cannot be realisitically used as external evidence of the existence of Jesus. Personally, I think he probably existed, though the stories about him were likley embelllished over time...

March 25, 2013 at 3:44 pm |
  2. Yorgos

Personally, I am an agnostic leaning atheist multi-millionaire, and have given away a very large chunk of my fortune to charity, including Autism, children's cancer organizations, and animal rights. I stepped aside from our family businesses in order to help and take care of my Autistic son full-time. How DARE some of you say that agnostics or atheists are mean-spirited or evil?! Look in the mirror. Perhaps some of YOU are the callous, insensitive, evil hypocrites!

March 24, 2013 at 8:05 am |
    • Geoffrey

You sound paranoid. What are you afraid of?

March 24, 2013 at 8:15 am |
    • Yorgos

Paranoid? Come on now. What a moronic response. Part of being human is to question things, especially 'the big question'. Don't you think and use YOUR brain? Try living in REALITY once in a while. It's very comforting.

March 24, 2013 at 8:22 am |
    • Geoffrey

"How DARE some of you say that agnostics or atheists are mean-spirited or evil?!"

Look at your response to my question. I'm just curious why you folks feel so inferior.

March 24, 2013 at 8:34 am |
  3. Shade

God Bless this Man!
    Keep up the Good Work.

March 24, 2013 at 8:05 am |
    • IgnoranceOverload

I see what you did there :/

March 24, 2013 at 8:23 am |
  4. Suresh Chari

Good for him! "God" didn't PUNISH him by taking away all his money, did "he"? Silly, stupid, sheeple "believers".

March 24, 2013 at 8:03 am |
    • Common sense

There are a million better ways this fool could be spending his money. I think he just likes the attention.

March 24, 2013 at 8:07 am |
    • idl3d3m0n

March 24, 2013 at 8:12 am |
    • jungleboo

@ Common Sense: Do you lack purpose and drive in your life. Do you only produce, or act out, to "get attention"? You are missing the driving point here. To work for a cause that you believe in.

March 24, 2013 at 8:35 am |
  5. Ryan

Another CNN article blasting religion and admiring atheists! I once “believed” in an unbiased reporting source called “The Old CNN.com.”

March 24, 2013 at 8:01 am |
    • idl3d3m0n

People are getting smarter. Not such a bad thing. With greater intelligence comes less indoctrination....

March 24, 2013 at 8:03 am |
    • Ryan

People also have too much time on their hands and worry too much about what their neighbors believe in or what principles they hold. Everyone needs to mind their own business and let people believe in what they want!

March 24, 2013 at 8:07 am |
    • Science

Ryan good read................................................ you might want to

Dover Trial Transcripts............................................. FACTS.

Below are the complete transcripts from the Dover Trial. Thanks to our friends at the National Center for Science Education for helping us fill in the missing transcripts.

peace

March 24, 2013 at 8:09 am |
    • usvet

so it's only unbiased if they only tell your side of the story? that's all i can get from your comment,would you care to expand on your comment about how an article about an atheist is biased but one about Catholics(of which they are many right now)is not?

March 24, 2013 at 8:10 am |
    • Common sense

People are obviously NOT getting smarter. Phones and Technology maybe, but not people. This is evidenced by the majority of Americans choosing to re-elect Obama. Why can't people just believe in what they want to believe in ? This country was founded on RELIGIOUS FREEDOM !

March 24, 2013 at 8:14 am |
    • Ryan

I know, I know! You atheists are smarter than everyone else and understand the true meaning of life. You all went to your Ivy League schools and work at your non-profits and this makes you intellectually superior then me. I just went to a state school and watch sports so I must not “know” or truly “understand” anything.

March 24, 2013 at 8:25 am |
    • One one

@common, do you mean like trying to force the teaching of creationism in public schools ?

March 24, 2013 at 8:27 am |
    • jungleboo

@ Coomon Sense: You must have heard that one Sunday issue of the New York Times contains more printed and graphic information than an 18th century citizen of England would have encountered in his entire life. You say people are not getting smarter, but phones are. You are sadly mistaken. No, people are not repositories of all the information that they come across now, because it is too much information. But our world has made it possible for us to know where to find accurate information, and find it very quickly. If you are of a certain age, you might remember the "card catalogue systems" in your local library. That was information on a cryptic scale. I am glad those days are over. And I am glad that religious indoctrination of children is on its way out. If our country was founded on "religious freedom" as you say, the children would not be subjected to such abject brainwashing at such an early age. It would be illegal to force a child into "Sunday school".

March 24, 2013 at 8:43 am |
  6. yoshimoto

This is a perfect example of the "look at me" syndrome. Nobody knows the outcome of next years Super Bowl any better than they really know if God exists (He does). But they get to be on TV and interviewed by all these reporters and that's what turns them on. Of course you could argue there is no God, that's the whole idea isn't it. But in my life personally, I truly believe there is divine intervention......

March 24, 2013 at 8:01 am |
    • idl3d3m0n

Funny how you say that no one can "know" anything for sure. Except of course God can know. And you know God knows...
      Hypocrite

March 24, 2013 at 8:02 am |
    • Suresh Chari

Oh, but you are sure – "He does".

BS.

March 24, 2013 at 8:04 am |
    • Jeesh

yoshimoto
      Ah, nobody knows if God exists but you do, you are so special as most believers in one faith or another feel the same way or would not have faith. Haven't seen Stiefel on Sunday morning TV yet; I guess he can't bump out the evangies.

March 24, 2013 at 8:10 am |
    • One one

There is a better example of "look at me". Google "pope" and check out his outfits, hats, and jewelry. He makes Lady GaGa look like a Girl Scout.

March 24, 2013 at 8:23 am |
  7. Alex R.

Man I wish my workplace treated me like God's followers treat him. I'd get credit for everything that went right, but any time something went wrong, I would get no blame whatsoever! If some of my co-workers started telling others that this was unfair, my co-workers would respond, "Oh come on, you're just trying to rile up people and start trouble. Go back to your cubicle and stop insulting the perfect worker Alex R.!" Easiest job ever!

March 24, 2013 at 8:01 am |
  8. The6thsense

Being par of an atheist group is almost eh same as being part of a religious group...
    Believe in whatever you want, as long as it is nt organize or part of a group.

March 24, 2013 at 8:00 am |
    • jungleboo

Drug rush?

March 24, 2013 at 8:04 am |
    • Alex R.

Why do religious people get to group up and fight for their interests, but when an atheist group gets together to fight for THEIR rights, everyone gets all offended? Atheists are one of the last groups it is still socially acceptable to discriminate against, such as over 50% of Americans saying they would never vote for an atheist. Why shouldn't atheist groups form to fight this injustice?

March 24, 2013 at 8:04 am |
    • Akinsc

Alex R: Don't forget smokers. If you are an atheist and a smoker, it's perfectly acceptable to take you out and shoot you.

March 24, 2013 at 8:22 am |
  9. Tkp353

Religion is what it is...call it weak, dumb, stupid...whatever. But I can tell you that religion is what killed Jesus. Religion is not what I have...just faith and belief that He is Lord. I don't go to "Church"...except in my house, or the house of other believers. Jesus brought in the new law...and that simply says believe in that He was, and is, Who He Says He is...and you will be saved. Simple faith....like a little child...is all He asks. What a beautiful gift.

March 24, 2013 at 8:00 am |
    • idl3d3m0n

Faith: Believing something without evidence.

What we call the Ignorant.

March 24, 2013 at 8:01 am |
    • Common sense

There are many theories that lacked evidence for many years, that later turned out to be true. Are you willing to bet your eternal soul that there is NOT a God ? I would call that bet ignorant.

March 24, 2013 at 8:17 am |
    • jungleboo

@ Common Sense: If your God values your having placed a right bet on him, he is no better than the horse races, which is a rather banal human pursuit attracting people who have nothing better to do with their lives than spend it hoping for a jackpot.

March 24, 2013 at 8:49 am |
  10. Jason

His money is not being wasted. It's his money and he can spend it as he likes. Mitt Romney gives an incredible amount of money to his kooky church. This man gives part of his fortune to his beliefs. Lots of Americans do the same thing.

March 24, 2013 at 7:59 am |
  11. rougecatholic

pride comes before the fall

March 24, 2013 at 7:57 am |
    • Yorgos

Ridiculous! Pride is part of being human. As long as it is well placed.

March 24, 2013 at 7:58 am |
    • jungleboo

Does your screen name really mean rouge, as in the French word for 'red'? Or were you trying for Sarah Palin's use of the word "Rogue"?

March 24, 2013 at 8:02 am |
    • mfmaine

actually, it's "pride goeth before a fall"....don't misquote the alleged inspired word of God. Even an agnostic like me has read it.

March 24, 2013 at 9:07 am |
  12. brakon

Atheism? It's like believing you exist all by itself, without intelligent guided life. Problem is, life IS intelligently created. Without intelligent planning you wouldn't have this universe and everything in it, run smoothly as is.

March 24, 2013 at 7:55 am |
    • Yorgos

Actually, science and common sense can explain the formation of planets and life.

March 24, 2013 at 7:58 am |
    • AudreyE

So you believe. Obviously, other people disagree. If it could be proven so easily, there would be no dissension.

March 24, 2013 at 7:58 am |
    • MUST SEE Creatard Pwnage Par Excellence

March 24, 2013 at 8:04 am |
    • jungleboo

"Running smoothly", you say. How about just running? Constipation, volcanic eruptions, acne, asteroid attacks, mass murders, earthquakes, hang nails, dead batteries, slip-n-falls, Siamese twins, computer glitches, Interstate pile-ups, floods, bank fraud, false promises, hair lips....oh, I could go on. Sure it's a beautiful world, and I always accentuate the positive in my own life. But to walk around pretending that you are in some divine plan of "running smoothly" means you are closing your eyes to the wonder of things just evolving for their own benefit, and you hanging on for dear life. Not scary, not scary at all. Actually, pretty dang incredible. Why strange things up by inventing a Know-It-All leader who has your good fortune at Heart, except when something bad happens to you. Then it's His Plan, and it's all mysterious. Why does that make sense to you?

March 24, 2013 at 8:15 am |
    • TOOZX5

Atheism is the rejection of unsupported assertion of deities. Atheist don't believe something for no reason with no evidence to justify it. That's nothing more than gullibility.

There is no such thing as an intelligently created universe. It doesn't "run smoothly". People who say such things have no idea how the universe work. The universe is incredibly destructive, wasteful. Nothing intelligent about that. Life certainly isn't intelligently guided. Intelligent design imply simplicity. Life is highly complex. Nearly 99% of all living organisms that ever lived on earth have gone extinct. How is that intelligent? Natural birth defects aren't intelligent. Our own galaxy will collide directly with Andromeda. What, then, was the purpose for the existence of our galaxy in the first place? Where is the intelligence in that? The universe is on a one way road to certain death as the expansion continue to accelerate and drive stars and galaxies further apart ensuring eventual death of all life in the universe. What then is the point of life in a Universe destine to destroy life? Its nonsensical. Simply people who like to make noise. Please. Spare us the idiocy.

March 24, 2013 at 8:18 am |
    • brakon

Define science? Science is a subject not Creator, we didn't happen by our own will. Science is dead, nature is dead by itself ..it doesn't know for need to create intelligent life

March 24, 2013 at 8:29 am |
    • brakon

Only a fool would say universe isn't running intelligently. Does our body know on it's own to be body and that swe need eyes to see teeth to eat, everything is in perfect order. What Knew? nothing? HOW?

answer

March 24, 2013 at 8:31 am |
  13. History Channel's "The Bible" Parts 3 & 4 - In Under 11 Minutes!

March 24, 2013 at 7:55 am |
  14. idl3d3m0n

I invite any and all Christians to state your case, opinions or scriptures. It is you Christians that will do all the work needed to expose your religion for what it really is, and that is....Nothing. It's fiction. It's you selling a belief in the hopes that more people will join your cause and donate money and submit so that you will feel more powerful.

Sorry but I got news for you, people are getting smarter. Intelligence will lead ALL people to ultimate salvation not your fairy tale fiction bull****.

March 24, 2013 at 7:55 am |
    • stfualready

I wish their was some sort of movement where people just kept their opinions to themselves.. Atheists will forever be immortalized with the likes of Christianity and Islam...not because of it's foundation or opinions on God...but because they wanna go shoving their personal life choices down everyone's throat. I don't believe in a God but I'd be embarrassed to call myself an Atheist. If you don't believe in dragons... then why commit your life to their demise?

March 24, 2013 at 8:10 am |
  15. Blah

This guy is the man

March 24, 2013 at 7:52 am |
    • angeson

March 24, 2013 at 8:11 am |
    • jungleboo

@ Angeson: "Sad little tramp took it up the wazoo from an old priest and not devotes his life to hating God for it. I'll pray for him."... What a frightening individual you are. Your prayers sound like Linda Blair's demonized soliloquies in The Exorcist. Take a good long look in the mirror while you pray. Your impulses are dangerous to humanity.

March 24, 2013 at 9:01 am |
  16. Heebeejeebee

I can't make up my mind. I love the ethic and spirituality of the Gospels and some other parts of the New Testament and Old Testament but can't accept the entire Bible. I've studied Buddhism, Zen, Hinduism, Islam and Taoism. They all have great ethic and moral compass information that is compatible with something a Humanist might think. I sway between Christianity, Theism and agnosticism almost daily. It's a pit that every one of us are sitting in whether we have the guts to acknowledge it or not. We jump up, trying to catch hold of some of the grass rooted around the pit and pull ourselves out but it always gives way and we fall back in. this is true of all of us whether you are an atheist, agnostic, theist or deist. There's only one real way out and that involves a helping hand – see, I'm swaying toward deism again.

March 24, 2013 at 7:50 am |
    • Russ

Consider letting facts be your guide.

March 24, 2013 at 7:53 am |
    • idl3d3m0n

Listen to Russ. Live your life with an open mind and accept no religion period. Try them all out, as I have done and maybe (hopefully) your mind will allow you to find TRUTH.

March 24, 2013 at 7:56 am |
    • At least Thank the Sun

Nicely put. If all people of any Dogma were to be honest, they would admit there is doubt. At lease you have done your homework. I feel everyone has the right to reject Theism, provided they know even a little bit about what they are rejecting. It's so much easier to 'hear' from a person like you who has at least done a bit of a Walkabout.

March 24, 2013 at 8:08 am |
  17. Reality

Dear Mr. Stiefel,

These "to the gut" potential Facebook/Twitter postings should save you a lot of money:

Putting the kibosh on all religion in less than ten seconds: Priceless !!!

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion.

The Apostles'/Agnostics’ Creed 2013: (updated by yours truly and based on the studies of historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven??

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A descent into Hell, a bodily resurrection
    and ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
    (references used are available upon request)

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

Added details available upon written request.

e.g. Taoism

March 24, 2013 at 7:49 am |
    • Reality

For your next billboards:

SAVING 1.5 BILLION LOST MUSLIMS:
      THERE NEVER WERE AND NEVER WILL BE ANY ANGELS I.E. NO GABRIEL, NO ISLAM AND THEREFORE NO MORE KORANIC-DRIVEN ACTS OF HORROR AND TERROR LIKE 9/11.

SAVING 2 BILLION LOST CHRISTIANS:
      THERE WERE NEVER ANY BODILY RESURRECTIONS AND THERE WILL NEVER BE ANY BODILY RESURRECTIONS I.E. NO EASTER, NO CHRISTIANITY.

SAVING 15.5 MILLION FOLLOWERS OF JUDAISM:
      ABRAHAM AND MOSES AS BEST ONE CAN TELL NEVER EXISTED.

Added details upon request.

March 24, 2013 at 7:53 am |
  18. Yorgos

I wholeheartedly applaud Todd Stiefel for having the intelligence, curiosity, humbleness, and introspection to QUESTION the ultimate, age-old question facing humanity, instead of just being a 'sheeple'. Personally, I am an agnostic, as I don't believe one can prove (or disprove) the past or present existence of a supreme deity, a.k.a. 'God'. But certainly, and logically, one can assume that it was mortal men that conceived of, and wrote ALL religious books, tomes, and manuscripts throughout history. I have a lot more respect for those that may believe in a 'God' DIRECTLY, without the nonsense and taint of man.

March 24, 2013 at 7:49 am |
    • .

he got drunk and stupid at college, a common failing. higher education often educates common sense from those not able to comprehend what knowledge is really about.

March 24, 2013 at 7:53 am |
  19. Doug

This guy is no different than all the true believers who try to convince you to join their church. He is small, foolish and can't accespt that another person can have a different opinion. If someone wants to believe in god that is there business. If doing so makes them happy, a better person and they are not hurting anyone than leave them alone. With a little luck he will blow his fortune and have to go and spend his time making a living.

March 24, 2013 at 7:48 am |
    • ldavid69

Did you read the article in full? He said there is good and bad in religion at the end of the article. He is looking to end prejudice toward atheism is all.

March 24, 2013 at 7:59 am |
    • lilyq

Amen.

March 24, 2013 at 7:59 am |
    • jungleboo

What you might want to consider is the endless brainwashing of children by parents and community leaders whose right "to believe whatever they want" necessarily extends to and taints the minds of those youngsters in their charge. If everybody had a right to their own opinion, as you seem to indicate, the children would be free throughout childhood and adolescence to explore and absorb and repudiate all ideas that come their way, eventually arriving at their own opinion. Threatening the children with hellfire and damnation surely does not recognize their right to form an "informed" opinion. What say you?

March 24, 2013 at 8:00 am |
    • One one

There is a difference: he doesn't promise you eternal life if you believe him or threaten you with eternal torture if you don't.

March 24, 2013 at 8:00 am |
    • peppe

Absolutely, if someone want to believe in God, great. Problem is they want to impose there view on me (e.g., contraception, abortion, marriage equality, WARS, WARS, WARS). If only they actually lived what they preach – "Thou shalt now kill (usually, see footnote below*)"
      *Unless the person you want to kill has a lot of oil, and insulted your father, would be nice if he spoke a different language, Oh, and you'll need to make up a story, like maybe weapons of mass destruction, then it is OK"

Really? GW prayed about whether to bomb Iraq and the Prince of Peace, said "Yeah, bomb the **** out of them"? Really???

March 24, 2013 at 8:05 am |
  20. stevie68a

Religion is a mass delusion. It is exploited by the clever few to take advantage of the not too bright.
    You can be a good person without this nonsense. We need people like Todd Stiefel to create alternate ways of thinking, such
    as fantasy vs. reality. Plain and simple, religion is a lie used to control people.

March 24, 2013 at 7:48 am |
    • ldavid69

Exactly. Look on the bright side stevie. You and I are not wasting time and money on this societal scam , and it is a scam. Funny how religious beliefs are based on where one is born. Can you say incotrination?

March 24, 2013 at 8:00 am |
    • ldavid69

*indoctrination.

March 24, 2013 at 8:01 am |
    • jungleboo

"... It is exploited by the clever few to take advantage of the not too bright." That is the entire case in a nutshell. Thank you for this clear and concise definition!

March 24, 2013 at 8:19 am |
    • Patrick

Amen to that
      I attended a baptist service with a girlfriend years ago. It was very apparent that "the preacher" was simply the smartest of the stupid in the room. Pass the collection plate! Needless to say, we didn't date for long.......

March 24, 2013 at 8:23 am |