home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. biggles

The U.S Senate begins every session in prayer to Jesus christ

April 7, 2013 at 1:54 am |
    • R.M. Goodswell

Heh... so?

Does this do something special?

They start the session to an imaginary being...ok this get them in the proper frame of mind needed to lie to the American people?

April 7, 2013 at 2:04 am |
    • clarity

This is a drastic exaggeration and over-simplification of what the U.S. Senate Chaplain position entails. I would challenge Biggles to show where the current chaplain (U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Barry C. Black [ret.]) references his Christian God as "Christ" or "Jesus" in any of his prayers in his official duties as Senate Chaplain. I would be very surprised if this has occurred in recent times. I should also note, that Guest Chaplains, recommended by Senators to deliver the session's opening prayer in place of the Senate Chaplain, have represented many of the world's major religious faiths.

The Constitutionality of such positions for House and Senate have been challenged over the years. James Madison seemed to have mixed feelings about such positions, but wrote in late life that he opposed the long-established practice of employing chaplains at public expense in the House of Representatives and Senate on the grounds that it violated the separation of church and state and the principles of religious freedom. (See Library of Congress – James Madison Papers – Detached memorandum, ca. 1823.)

April 7, 2013 at 11:04 am |
    • Fernando

Are you citing evidence that prayer makes one ineffective?

April 8, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
  2. Tim Boyer

I don't believe in atheists.

April 7, 2013 at 1:13 am |
    • tallulah13

It makes you look like an idiot, but that's certainly your choice.

April 7, 2013 at 2:21 am |
  3. Thom Guerra

I am a Christian and I feel I'm being discriminated against by atheists when I'm told I can't celebrate a religious holiday or erect a display. Atheists taking Christians to court is a case of the government courts vs my right to practice my religion the way I want to. I don't care how you celebrate your "religion". Just show the same respect for my beliefs. PS – you won't give a crap, but I'll pray for you brother. Oh, I forgot. I'm not allowed to.

April 7, 2013 at 12:22 am |
    • HotAirAce

Have another beer and hug your Babble, Babble Humper.

April 7, 2013 at 12:24 am |
    • Saraswati

When did an atheist ever tell you that you couldn't celebrate your religion – either at home or with a group of friends in a public park? (assuming your religion doesn't involve drug use which might rule out the public park...)

April 7, 2013 at 12:26 am |
    • Mom

Thom Guerra,
      " I'll pray for you brother. Oh, I forgot. I'm not allowed to."

You sound like a petulant teenager.

You can pray all you want - all day, all night, whatever - just not on government time or on the government's dime.

April 7, 2013 at 12:39 am |
    • HotAirAce

Don't blame atheists for less religion in public – it was the US Supreme Court, staffed 100% by believers, that made the final decisions.

April 7, 2013 at 12:48 am |
    • tallulah13

Aw, poor baby. I'm sorry you don't get special privileges just because you believe a particular myth. It must be very disappointing for you to be treated just like everybody else.

April 7, 2013 at 2:23 am |
    • mark

What nonsense. "Atheism" is not an organized movement designed just to take away your beliefs or persecute anyone. If we gave back what you "religious" people gave to us who are NOT, then you would have a right to complain...but for now, just have the good grace to shut the hell up.

mark

April 7, 2013 at 6:22 am |
    • Kylyssa

I'm sure you'd be delighted to have your tax dollars pay for a bunch of Muslim, Pagan, Hindu, and Jewish religious displays, too, Thom. Separation of church and state protects you, too.

Isn't it funny how fundamentalist Christians only like separation of church and state when it protects them and not when it fails to give them special privileges above all others? One advantage you get out of separation of church and state is that you are allowed to discriminate against non-Christians and Christians you don't approve of in religious workplaces such as Christian schools when secular businesses aren't allowed to discriminate based on religion. Another is that tax-free status your churches that even for profit churches with fabulously wealthy clergy and politically aligned churches get to have.

April 7, 2013 at 10:33 am |
    • One one

Maybe if you get on your knees and pray to Jesus a little more you'll get your wish.

April 7, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
  4. james

does anyone really care? go to jw.org to learn what the Bible really teaches, free of charge. please before it is too late. j

April 7, 2013 at 12:04 am |
    • biggles

Shut up

April 7, 2013 at 1:48 am |
    • james

biggie, are you serious? best laugh I have had yet today, thanks, j

April 7, 2013 at 10:20 am |
  5. LAST DAY

Stiefel, don't waste your money for a lost cause (=i.e. atheism),

for GOD is absolutely real,

here, see and return to GOD immediately, in real sense,

for your own Eternal Salvation and Happiness, from now on and forever!

UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES!

April 6, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
    • Lance

Oh brother. The dirty little secret is no one will ever know the truth, but everyone likes to think they currently do.

April 6, 2013 at 9:09 pm |
    • tony

Any idea just how much money goes into collection plates every Sunday? I DO know how much is burnt as a true sacrifice to god, as taught in the bible. I bet all the religious believers know too, but of course , they don't want to think about that.

April 6, 2013 at 10:21 pm |
  6. adam2432

I guess I'm a little confused as to why Atheists feel they are discriminated against? I don't mean this in a condescending or mean way. I've just never heard anyone complain about being treated differently or wrongly for being atheist.

April 6, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
    • Helmont

I've seen many accounts of people being accused of "being in league with Satan" or called witches, when they revealed that they did not believe in God.

April 6, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • Rupert_Pupkin

One example is holding public office. There are very few districts and likely zero states that would elect an atheist to public office.

April 6, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • jrose

True, and another is that many companies run by Christians refuse to hire someone they know to be atheist. And as seen in many of the comments here, a lot of people think we atheists are angry, dangerous, communistic, etc. I'm just a normal guy with a job and a house and a loving wife. I don't make trouble for religious people and I don't feel lost or hopeless. I live a lawful, ethical life. I also happen to be an atheist. I'm hoping that in the years to come, strangers won't so often equate people like me with devil worshipers or anarchists.

April 6, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
    • tony

We don't get massive tax exemptions for organizing our motivation to live good lives.

April 6, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
    • Saraswati

It's not a big issue where I live but in a lot of places in Texas and similar areas they still have prayers and religious activities in the schools. One public school recently took kids on a field trip to a Christian festival and left all the other kids on campus in a day long study hall. Military organizations often leave non churchgoers to clean and do chores – what a choice? And then we have the prayer breakfasts and, especially under bush, prayer sessions in government. We have bible swear ins in court which in a majority Christian country can leave non-Christians in a bind as to whether to risk credibility by not swearing on the bible....or the opposite. There are a ton of tight spots that in various areas a non-believer might find him or her self in.

April 7, 2013 at 12:31 am |
    • biggles

Thanks Dottie for throwing yourself an opportunity to try our bull. Name a business that doesn't hire cause of our religion, god-haters. God-haters can get elected anywhere there are sufficient idiots willing to throw a way their vote.

April 7, 2013 at 1:52 am |
    • Wiggles

Walk down main street of any town in america wearing a "Christian" shirt.

Then walk down the same street wearing a shirt that says "Atheist" on it.

You'll be treated very differently.

April 7, 2013 at 2:51 am |
  7. Salero21

I'am so totally stomping on the Cons-ti-tu-tional, civil and Legal Rights of atheists and there's nothing they poor people can do about it! Is totally unforgivable on my part to do such a thing! I hope I didn't misspelled or mistype anything this time, otherwise the legal enforcement Branch of atheism THE GRAMMAR GESTAPO OF THE INTERNET will club me with toothpicks till I stop living.

April 6, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
    • tallulah13

Nah. Your freedom of speech is protected just as much as anyone else's. You are simply being an annoying jackass. If your goal is to make people think that religious proselyzers are loathsome individuals, you're doing a bang-up job.

April 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
    • clarity

True – tallulah; Salero21 is one of the jackasses that you can count on as one the great examples of fundie intelligence at work in the world today.

April 6, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
  8. Salero21

I'am so totally stomping on the Const-ti-tu-tional, civil and Legal Rights of atheists and there's nothing they poor people can do about it! Is totally unforgivable on my part to do such a thing! I hope I didn't misspelled or mistype anything this time, otherwise the legal enforcement Branch of atheism THE GRAMMAR GESTAPO OF THE INTERNET will club me to death with toothpicks till I stop living.

April 6, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
  9. Salero21

OK here I'am again to stomp on the civil liberties of the atheists to propagate their stupidity. On rapture day you will stay down instead of being lifted-up. So repent while you're among the living!

April 6, 2013 at 1:23 pm |
    • tallulah13

The rapture was invented in 1830, by a presbyterian preacher and a sick girl who claimed visions.

April 6, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
    • Salero21

tellulah13

You foolish, ignorant atheist, allow me to at least try to inform you.

While is true that the term "rapture", as it is popularly known is not even in the Bible and it was coined in the XIX century. It is based on an actual teaching of the apostle Paul and is part of the promise of Salvation from the Judgment that is coming to this world and upon all of you foolish unbelievers.

1Th 4:17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. That was the Apostle Paul in his first letter to the believers in the ancient city of Thessaloniki.

April 6, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
    • tallulah13

So why didn't you say "lifted up". I don't want to be lifted up. I don't want to live forever. I'm okay with this one life and dying and being forgotten. You have nothing to offer those who don't fear actual death.

April 6, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
    • faith

tallulah13
      "You actually have nothing to offer those who do fear actual death. You have nothing but hollow promises of an afterlife for which there is no evidence. Saul of Tarsus played the long con like a master."

you are a liar

April 7, 2013 at 3:44 am |
    • faith

liar

April 7, 2013 at 3:45 am |
  10. Salero21

OK here I'am again to stomp on the civil liberties that atheist enjoy to propagate their stupidity. I don't want to see any boohooing from you atheists. Your stupidity will be obliterated from the face of the earth forever. On rapture day you will all go Down instead of being lifted-up. Repent while you're still among the living!

April 6, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
  11. faith

who was that fellow? from where did he come? why did he claim to be god?

April 6, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
    • faith

haters have no idea.
      don't care.
      doesn't matter.
      we hate him, is their creed.
      any excuse will do.
      don't you get it?

he was who he said he was and that is unacceptable.
      he must be destroyed,
      whatever it takes

or, we could discuss santa
      two peas in a pod

April 6, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
    • faith

notice the mad dash by the proofies. they run over each other to be the first not to say a word. predictable as Pavlov's mut.

no one could make up this colossal event. no one sat down one day to write this sacred record. it didn't pop into someone's mind one day, "hey, i'll invent an incredible story about god;'s son and allow myself to be murdered for it." the inability of heathen and infidels to present one intelligent argument to substantiate their bull is fascinating.

of course we could always discuss FSM

April 6, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
    • faith

i got it dottie. let's discuss your gods, FSM and santa. what's your buybull have to say about them? did they die to set u free, freak?

April 6, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
  12. aurelius

"So great are the evils to which religion has led men". Euripides More power to you, Todd.

April 6, 2013 at 2:43 am |
    • faith

atheists are responsible for all evil

April 6, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
    • tallulah13

I think a better theory is that trolls are responsible for all evil. At least they're really annoying and rather pathetic.

April 6, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
  13. faith

"Truth Prevails 🙂
    Robert: Is it really predilection if it is a taught thing? It is passed through the generations but as more information becomes available and is shown to contradict the need for a god, it is less likely one will believe. "
    what recent information has been proving we do not need god?

For 2000 years your group persecuted the whole world....and you are pathetic enough to say "don't touch me, my virgin ears"? Check yourself. Turnabout is fair play. (She can't shut up! report her)

"Truth Prevails 🙂
    Robert: No-one is born believing in a god. Belief is a taught thing and usually when it comes to a god or gods, is not based on anything that can be substantiated with any form of evidence. As we advance, the number of those believing in religion will decline." how do you know? you are a liar

And the all-time winner has got him by the balls. He picks up Gideons Bible open at page one old Charlie stole the handle and the train won't stop going

April 6, 2013 at 1:26 am |
    • Magnificent New Channel - MUST SEE!

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW3PBK6GOv0&w=640&h=360]

April 6, 2013 at 7:07 am |
    • MUST SEE Creatard Pwnage Par Excellence

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QIrfxj02pQ&w=640&h=360]

April 6, 2013 at 7:08 am |
  14. faith

"Christians assume wrongly that if there is a god, it is theirs.
    As for your attempt to equate gravity with the existence of a god, your ignorance is astounding. It is quite possible, and frankly, immensely enjoyable to live life for its own sake, and for the sake of those around you, without the manufactured guilt and fear that accompany religious faith. It is not possible, at all, to live life on earth without gravity." hence, god.

"It is Christians who believe with all their hearts that they have dominion over all the world.
    They believe that an anthropocentric enti/ty made the entire universe just so that they can exist in it.
    To think that mankind is the predilect object of Creation is the height of delusional arrogance." no no no dumbo. exist? enjoy! you nit wit. and you and i are exactly the reason for the entire universe and jesus.

April 6, 2013 at 12:27 am |
    • biggles

Dottie convinces others that she loves life. I can sense her happiness from thousands of miles away, can't you?

April 6, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
  15. faith

i used to be an atheist. i got sick of their lies, immorality and anything goes philosophy. they like children, well done. they like money, too, yours. they like se x, especially with their children. their nakedness is a turnoff and selling old people to nursing homes is depraved. they envy christians. all they do is sit around and plot ways to undermine them.

they never tell you this stuff in their promotional material. trust me. i been there

April 5, 2013 at 9:02 pm |
    • The real Tom

How many different screen names have you used to post this pap?

April 5, 2013 at 9:06 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

I doubt everything you've said in that post. I think you are lying little zealot who feels that lying for Jesus is justified and a good thing.
      Or there's a few other options:
      1) You're completely insane and actually believe the stupidity you post.
      2) You're a Poe.

April 5, 2013 at 9:06 pm |
    • faith

sam stone

sam stone
      Pompous pious fvck

April 5, 2013 at 9:39 pm |
    • faith

i love you sammi, i love you so much sammi. my hero! i love you sammi, i love you so much sammi. my hero! i love you sammi, i love you so much sammi. my hero! i love you sammi, i love you so much sammi. my hero! i love you sammi, i love you so much sammi. my hero! i love you sammi, i love you so much sammi. my hero!

April 5, 2013 at 9:46 pm |
  16. faith

occasionally some boob is sincere and refuses to seek god, even on her death bed. most boobs are liars and showoffs. they strut around like big-shots, flaunting their disbelief in god. they like to be seen as members of the in crowd. they talk a lot. put their child in peril and they cry out for god's help like frightened pigs.

April 5, 2013 at 8:38 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

Awww look at the pathetic little zealot. So offended by the fact that people don't blindly accept his denomination of Christianity. Poor "persecuted" moron.

April 5, 2013 at 8:40 pm |
    • faith

"sam stone
      Pompous pious fvck

Marriage equality is coming. If it bothers you, you can either put on your big boy pants and accept it, or you get get on your knees with your sidearm and go meet jeebus. Either way works for me"

sammi, sup babe? u like suicide for the followers of jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebus? u naughty girl, dorothy

April 5, 2013 at 9:41 pm |
    • faith

atheists don't put up with anything. especially when that loudmouth, dorothy encourages disciples to blow their heads off. i wonder how many children she's influenced to blow people away. good thing atheists rebuke her

April 5, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
  17. Fundies Gone Wild! They are Panicking!

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0-04VDrCbM&w=640&h=360]
    _ _ _ _ _ _

April 5, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
  18. Up Your Rear Admiral

Salero21, I'll see you in the rapture capsule with the unicorns. Don't forget to wear your nose ring – the big steel one that I padlocked the chain onto when we were practicing for the uplifting.

This time though, when the swirling starts up and your head gets pulled into the vortex, don't keep your mouth open like you did in the last practice, or you'll get the brown floaters coming in again, and you know what they taste like.

April 5, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
    • The real Tom

It's pretty hilarious that Salero thinks that atheists give a crap what he does.

April 5, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • Salero21

The atheists are barking like dogs, howling like wolves, screeching like monkeys and squealing like swine! 😀 😛 They must have the rabies!

April 5, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
    • The real Tom

"The rabies"? What kind of buck-toothed cretin are you?

April 5, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
    • Salero21

The atheists are having a case of the rabies. 😀

April 6, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
  19. Salero21

Ok atheists I'm back to stomp on you all.

Atheism is monkey business. Besides being fools as THE Scriptures clearly says, atheists are also extremely hypocritical. Now you can start with your boohooing about being oppressed by us Christians. Start wasting your time barking, howling and screeching, because nobody is going to hear your crying, nobody is coming to your rescue. You will no be lift-up on rapture day.

April 5, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
    • Ken Margo

Ooohh I'm scared. Reading what you wrote "You will no be lift-up on rapture day." spelling is a bigger issue for you than the so called rapture.

April 5, 2013 at 6:23 pm |
    • Salero21

OMG, OMG, 😛 😀

I misspelled miss-typed and Ken Margo, who is one of the secret agents of the legal Branch of atheism, the feared GRAMMAR GESTAPO OF THE INTERNET. So let me correct that before THE GRAMMAR GESTAPO OF THE INTERNET come knocking at midnight. It should read as follows: "You will NOT be lifted-up on Rapture day." or better yet, "On Rapture day, you will NOT be lifted-up!"

But I doubt very much that THE GRAMMAR GESTAPO OF THE INTERNET, the internet legal Branch of the Monkey Business that is atheism will ever be satisfied, much less forgive for this unpardonable grammatical sin.

That's how extremely Hypocritical they are!

April 5, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • Up Your Rear Admiral

This time though, when the swirling starts and your head gets pulled into the vortex, don't keep your mouth open like you did in the last practice, or you'll get the brown floaters coming in again, and you know what they taste like.

April 5, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • The real Tom

Salero, go fvck your mother. You know you want to.

April 5, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
    • Salero21

The atheists are squealing like swines!

April 5, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • Fundies Gone Wild!

It's the Fundies that are in a state of Panic!
      [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0-04VDrCbM&w=640&h=360]

April 5, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
    • The real Tom

Hey, Salero? When are you going to get that GED? "Swine" is already plural, like "deer." Try to wrap your two brain cells around that, honey.

April 5, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
    • Salero21

OMG OMG,,

aNOther MIsstypo and the GRAMMAR GESTAPO OF THE INTERNET is all over me again, and again, and again. So TOM, You do agree with me that atheistS are squealing like swine. Are they still howling like wolves, barking like dogs and screeching like monkeys?

April 5, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
    • The real Tom

Oh, so you figured out that "swines" is incorrect and using it brands you as a retard? Good for you! Maybe there's hope!

As for the rest of your swill, dearie, who gives a turd's weight to any of it? You're a troll. Nobody gives a sh!t what you type here.

April 5, 2013 at 8:38 pm |
    • Salero21

The Real Tom atheist is having a case of the rabies. That's because as an atheist he/she/it is like a rabid wolf.

April 6, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
  20. Pam

I'm not exactly an atheist, but I sure respect them WAY more than those obnoxious christians. Religion is the greatest scam ever fostered on humans. The Catholic Church had to make their jesus supernatural – they had to get a foot up over pagans. It's just so ridiculous. I asked a friend, who is Catholic, why people make such a big deal out of the bible since it was written by men and not by a god. Frankly, she had to agree that it is just a book written by men! Yes, men with all their own prejudices and viewpoints – not any god. So stupid.

April 5, 2013 at 4:09 pm |