home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. Darn it

All this time I've been non-believing and I've done it for free. Real nice, I get to sit around scared of my own death, miserable and angry and not a cent to show for it.

I don't get why atheism is even a movement. I've been skeptical, I've been miserable, I've been having to make my money at an actual job. I must have done something wrong somewhere.

And to the Christians, don't bother trying to convert me, if I could believe in anything I would have by now.

April 14, 2013 at 11:16 am |
    • Moby Schtick

Atheism isn't a movement. What other option are you implying when you say that you get your money by working a job?

April 14, 2013 at 11:19 am |
    • biggles

Tell Dorothy not to recruit me.

Glad u r miserable!

U should be. Don't consider xtianity. You'd never make it

April 14, 2013 at 12:19 pm |
    • DavidTX

Rational thought is the movement. Atheism is just a conclusion you come to after applying the rational thought.

April 14, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
  2. Stephen Hawking is an Idiot

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX5HP0aYo98&w=640&h=360]

April 14, 2013 at 10:58 am |

• Booooorrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnngggggg! On Wheel of Fortune, people "buy" vowels. Christian bands need to buy some chords.

April 14, 2013 at 11:03 am |
    • Nietodarwin

“Scientists do not join hands every Sunday and sing "Yes gravity is real! I know gravity is real! I will have faith! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!" If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about the concept.”
      _ Dan Barker, Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists

“I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.”
      _ Stephen Hawking

April 14, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
  3. Jay

"Discrimination against atheists?" What a tool.

April 14, 2013 at 10:55 am |
    • Richard Cranium

There is quite a bit of dicrimination against atheists...why do you scoff?

April 14, 2013 at 11:02 am |
    • DavidTX

This is the same sentiment they had just a little over a hundred years ago with "Discrimination against n$%ggers? What do you mean? They aren't even really human so you can't discriminate against them..." The fact that the religious feel this way about atheists is shameful and disgusting but it's true. They can imagine all sorts of evil being done to those who believe that their faith is hollow and based on nothing but lies. Just admitting you are an atheists is effectively telling the religious "You are full of shlt" and they do not like it one bit so they get angry and attempt to stomp us out.

April 14, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
    • Nietodarwin

As an atheist, I'm happy that things have downgraded to mere discrimination. The mentally ill and delusional "believers" of many religions have been killing atheists for years. (Luckily, christians muslims and jews also love to kill the other religions that are different from their own.)

Religion. It`s given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.
      Charlie Chaplin

You are basically killing each other to see who has got the better imaginary friend.
      Richard Jeni

Religious faith not only lacks evidence, its independence from evidence is its pride and joy, shouted from the rooftops.
      Richard Dawkins

The World is divided into armed camps ready to commit genocide just because we can't agree on whose fairy tales to believe.
      Ed Krebs

April 14, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
  4. biggles

Dorothy and korn

April 14, 2013 at 10:11 am |
  5. Nihilism

Anyone else here with me in the void of utter meaninglessness? I'm here. It's a horrible state, it's only cure perhaps is humor.

April 14, 2013 at 8:52 am |
  6. Science

Where do morals come from?

By Kelly Murray, CNN

Learning is fun with facts.......................... and facts work when teaching children.

Atheist Prof. Peter Higgs: Stop calling Higgs boson the ‘God particle’

Professor Peter Higgs said recently that there is no God and so people should stop referring to the theoretical partial that
    bears his name as the “God particle.”

Pope praises science, but insists God created world updated Thur October 28, 2010
    Stephen Hawking is wrong, Pope Benedict XVI said Thursday – God did create the universe. The pope didn't actually mention the world-famous scientist, who argues in a book published last month that the laws of physics show there is no need for a supreme... \

Science

Heaven is 'a fairy story,' scientist Stephen Hawking says updated Tue May 17, 2011
    By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor The concept of heaven or any kind of afterlife is a "fairy story," famed British scientist Stephen Hawking said in a newspaper interview this week. "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when...

April 7th, 2012

The Jesus debate: Man vs. myth

April 14, 2013 at 8:11 am |
  7. LAST DAY

GOD absolutely exists,

and HE is the Omnipotent.

Here is the Ultimate Proof,

for all atheists and agnostics,

who would courageously seek

and clearly and unmistakably see the Truth,

here now:

UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES!

April 14, 2013 at 6:26 am |
    • Sciernce

.............Facts work when teaching children

Atheist Prof. Peter Higgs: Stop calling Higgs boson the ‘God particle’

bears his name as the “God particle.”

April 14, 2013 at 6:41 am |
  8. A serious look at death

This is for the nonbelievers. Don't you think we should take a serious look at death/dying, the neurology of DMT, maybe the structure of time as it relates to passing away?

I understand religions are not going to help...so now what do we do?

April 14, 2013 at 4:54 am |
  9. biggles

U c boys, that's the problem with Dottie. She hates those she wants to hate. Our korn Welch gets a pass. The witch ain't got the stomach to criticize a music celebrity like the korn. Filthy hypocrite

April 13, 2013 at 11:33 pm |
    • faith

I really felt God helped me have the courage to quit. I wasn't happy with Korn for the last few years because my heart was with my kid. She was with her nanny most of the time at home. I was always worried about her and wondering if she felt she was unloved because her mother left her [when she was a baby], and I was never home. It was just a constant battle.
      Welch became a Christian, quit drugs, and dedicated his life to his faith and his young daughter, Jennea

but dottie, u r so sweet

April 14, 2013 at 12:28 am |
  10. KIM JUNG UN

COMRADE dear brother fellow revolutionary Steiffel will be new premier of america next year. I will be yur new president and great leader. thank you, thank you. no god no need god, no worri fellow COMRADES ATHEISTS victori is ours soon. MAO was greates example of revolution and no god exist.

Once in Power and control all pretty girls blondes redheads rednicks hill billys will be for soldiers. Fat women scrub floors sweep street milk cows in farms. Christians to labor camp interns, sweep streets, re education, cutting sugar canes for my COMRADE Fidel in Cuba. Thank yu, thank yu all. be seat.

I have 500,000 parachutists, 500,000 special operators better than christians team 6 SEAL. 2,000,000 infantry, 10,000 tank. Will take Hawaii in one day, California, go over rocky mountain, cross Misispi river on to capital. ALL Christians sent to labor camps. NO worries anymore comrades just matter of days.

April 13, 2013 at 9:34 pm |
    • Thy Gap Illuminator

Oh please.

April 13, 2013 at 9:39 pm |
    • My name is Bond

This is the end of you bladdered ar-se Kim JUNG, I'm bloody mad this time!!

April 13, 2013 at 9:41 pm |
  11. Luv me some Krishna

Say I take down my posters of Krishna and replace them with Orlando Bloom. Say I buy all my crystals from a gemologist instead of a book store. And I never use sage again instead of in a recipe for poultry, and my ouijah and bible get tossed out in favor of a monopoly board and a copy of newsweek.

Would you "approve" of me then? Would I meet your set of standards. Would you even care that I was bored or unhappy and liked everything where it was?

I mean people pretty much know it's not about "proof" when the get interested in something. Why take it away from me.
    I'd adapt.

But I shouldn't have too.

That's my only complaint.

April 13, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
  12. faith

"Everyone is broken in this world. There’s so much divorce, hate and unforgiveness. For people to see this, I think it’s just really uplifting. I never thought it would happen, and I’m not sure they did either. The fans just love it, because a lot of the fans back in the day were like, suicidal, and from broken homes and abuse. They looked up to us like their family. And to see their family split up was hard on them. To get it put back together, there is a joy around the people who care about it.” korn welch

where's your hatred dorothy? r u getting soft?

April 13, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Christians have a much higher divorce rate and domestic abuse rate than atheists. Not much of a light to the world, there. Well, I guess we atheist are, for our nonbelief.

April 13, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Just curious

Was that stat because there are simply "more" of them? Just wondering.

April 13, 2013 at 6:20 pm |
    • fyi

Just curious,

"Rate" = number per 100
      (or per 1,000, or per 1,000,000 or whatever)

April 13, 2013 at 6:35 pm |
  13. faith

can't do his blood

can't handle korn my man

can't say who christ was

can't figure out from whence the bible came

dorothy

u need some new demons

what do your demons do all day, my precious?

lie all the time

run from truth

repeat how u hate the church

condemn a pope, graham, etc.

lol

April 13, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • faith

i'd work on that

April 13, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
  14. brian

I've always been fascinated by the fact that religious people consider their religion or god to be the one true god and all others false just because they were born in a certain location in the world where their religion just happens to be dominant. Not to mention they were indoctrinated with their beliefs at an early age by their parents, which is brainwash by definition, regardless if their parents intentions were good. There is no more credibility with one religion than there is with any other. every religion is based on ancient literature, none of which has any evidence to support what it says. If you need a book to teach you how to be a good person you're not very smart and not a good person to begin with. Religion serves no purpose except to provide a false sense of hope, comfort, and security for the weak and misguided. Faith does not equal fact and never will. If you didn't have that convenient word called "faith" then what would you have? People confuse faith for fact in order to convince themselves that what they've been taught must be true. Religion poisons the world and breeds corruption and violence and war. Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings.

April 13, 2013 at 3:15 pm |
    • Geesh

Yeah, science- created nitroglycerin, dynamite, nuclear capabilities that creates destruction.....yeah all, hail science

April 13, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
    • faith

"brian
      I've always been fascinated by the fact that religious people consider their religion or god to be the one true god" lol

Dorothy, can u try a new line or 2? don't u get bored? u lie like crazy. one might expect a good atheist, one who really knew her bologna, wouldn't have to be a psychopathic liar! lol

April 13, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
    • faith

so, brian, you support the korn man's conversion to the one true god?

y aren't u insulting brother welch like all other fundies u and yours trash?

April 13, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
    • brian's assistant

how is brian's post a lie, faith? just cause you said so? so, h . o . w . ?

April 13, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Great point, brian. I'm glad that science allows us to share ideas immediately from around the globe whether people agree or disagree. Two people who claim to hear god's voice and have the indwelling of the holy spirit have no idea what the other person thinks and where they disagree about god and what he wants without the internet. Thanks Science! For shame, holy ghost!

April 13, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • Geesh

Science is not infallible plenty of examples of discoveries with good intentions are used for mass destruction, case in point Alfred nobel's creation of dynamite. Science is an imperfect idol

April 13, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Only a fvcking moron would say that science was/is "infallible." How stupid would that be?!?!

April 13, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

OF course, two Christians can both claim to have the holy spirit and disagree on nearly everything in the bible and neither of them sees the problem. How stupid is THAT?

April 13, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
    • Geesh

Not every scientific hypothesis proves to be correct, hence an inexact imperfect method. Results are not always 100% correct.

April 13, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
    • Geesh

A lyric from one of Sting's songs, says has not seen a miracle of science that has not gone from a blessing to a curse, nor a military solution.

April 13, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
    • The real Tom

Hmmm. Interesting take on science, Geesh, considering it's medical science that is keeping your wife from dying.

April 13, 2013 at 10:27 pm |
    • Grace

Geesh, what are you on about? No one says science is infallible. If you can disprove a scientific theory with a better theory, that's a good thing. That's encouraged. And as for the weird leap to "WMDs exist, and therefore science isn't always good" – science is IMPARTIAL. The way people use science, on the other hand – that can have a value judgment.

Faith doesn't have the same constant testing of conclusions that science invites. Faith generally claims to have solved the big questions, and the individual has to supply proof to validate that preconceived solution. Religions do not like revising conclusions, because it's hard to revise holy texts without concrete proof that God has submitted edits these days.

Which probably explains why many atheists are attracted to science: most of us were raised in a religious environment, and rather than proving the religion's hypothesis, we instead gathered proof and then when we got a different result than the Church taught, we said "hang on a second..." We're naturally inclined towards empirical Methodology. Other people are naturally inclined towards the path that says the secret ingredient is faith. Atheists don't accept secret ingredients – if you have proof pony up, otherwise we're going to assume it's all smoke and mirrors.

April 14, 2013 at 2:58 am |
    • Grace

Geesh, I should also mention that religion can be used for good and evil as well. For example, the Pakistani anti-blasphemy laws that are meant to protect Islam and the Koran have proven to be a double-edged sword. Good in theory, but now resulting in manufactured revenge accusations against minority communities where a blasphemy charge is hard to prove, frequently goes the way of the mob, is used to settle old grudges and I believe carries the death penalty.

We could also look at the religious subjugation of women in Saudi, at the case of the Indian woman who died in Ireland because a Catholic hospital refused to abort her non-viable fetus, at the Magdalene Laundries, at women being arrested at Jerusalem's wailing Wall – religion has been a driving force in pinning women to inferior or powerless positions for millennia. And in most cases, there's a strong argument to be made that the "rules" trapping women are not even in the religious texts! They're "interpretations" tacked on at a later date.

So, yeah – religion has it's own forms of WMDs.

April 14, 2013 at 3:10 am |
  15. Fundies Gone Wild! They are Panicking!!

Check out the post by the Tard Salero21 too below! The tard needs some basic education badly! LOL.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0-04VDrCbM&w=640&h=360]

April 13, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
    • Spread the Word

You need Adobe Flash Player to watch this video.
      Download it from Adobe.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mLOUWl-L-s&w=640&h=360]

April 13, 2013 at 3:40 pm |

• [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZrTeFLIR30&w=640&h=360]

April 13, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
  16. Salero21

Hello there foolish, ignorant atheists! Is me again ready and always willing to stomp and trample on your belief on non-belief and on your dozen or so absurd "theories" about how the the Universe, the world, animals and mankind came into being. Parroted and promoted by A$$es with Diplomas like Red Barf. There's absolutely nothing you can do about that!

Don't forget and if you do I will ALWAYS remind you all that Atheism is nothing more than stupidity in Full bloom. Got it?

Now, this is what I posted in the tread about: "Where do Morals come from" in this Belief blog. Pay attention you may learn something!

God the Creator of ALL things Created, granted man a conscience and the sense of Right and Wrong. God didn't do that with animals, that's why animals are unable to judge even among themselves. They just follow the basic instincts that God the Creator gave them to live and survive. Though they were Created before man!

God allowed and granted man the unique Privilege to Believe, belong, have and Practice religion. Man however after sin was already ingrained in his soul, co-rrup-ted religion and started worshiping creatures and creation rather than Adoring and Worship the Creator God. The Evil consequences and the end result of that corruption that are so well known, caused entire civilizations to fall and fail.

The Apostle wrote about it this way in his letter to the Romans:

Ro. 1:20-27
    1:20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities –his eternal power and divine nature– have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
    1:21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.
    1:22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools
    1:23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
    1:24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to se-xual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.
    1:25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator –who is forever praised. Amen.
    1:26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones.
    1:27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed in-de-cent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

April 13, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
    • Roberto

April 13, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
    • Salero21

There's nothing you can do about that! No wait, wait; you can bark like dogs, howl like wolves, squeal like swine and bleat like goats. The Bible say so, Jesus said so; therefore start RIGHT NOW!

April 13, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • Salero21

@ Roberto,

Is that the best you can retort with? How stupid!

Pay attention boy you may learn something! In Heaven there's going to be a whole lot of people who while on earth were sick, unhealthy, injured, poor etc. Likewise in Hell there's going to be a whole lot of people who while on earth were healthy, rich and had a whole of fans and followers.

The Difference between those in one place and the other is made by Jesus and by their stance towards Jesus ONLY.

Did you learn anything?

April 13, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
    • Salero21

Hellooooooooo atheists! I can't hear you... oops I meant to say, I can't see you barking, bleating, howling or squealing.
      I now you all can do better than that. Jesus said so! He called Herod a fox. Where is Red Barf?

April 13, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
    • Salero21

Oh well, I have to go run some errands for wife. If God wills I'll see you Monday. Remember; Atheism is stupidity in Full bloom!

April 13, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
    • clarity

Do pay any attention to the troll, Roberto. Salero21 is an all bark, and no proof kind of troll.

April 13, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
    • The real Tom

Salero, do you imagine you are convincing anyone to change his mind with your silly blather? You must think very highly of your persuasive powers. I hate to disappoint you, but you couldn't sell air conditioners in Death Valley, honey.

April 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
    • faith

"Roberto
      If your God is real, then you don't need doctors or modern medicine. Just pray away the sick. Ask and thou shalt receive."

the atheist god promises to send u 2 hell. on your mark

April 13, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
    • brian's assistant

More blather from Salero's troupe of babblers. Tom is right – these dunces are their own worst enemy in trying to get anyone to sign on to the folklore.

April 13, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
    • The real Tom

The reason Salero quotes the bible is that he can't put together a coherent sentence that doesn't have at least 3 errors– he isn't smart enough to go GET an education so he doesn't look like the moron he was born to be. Anyone that lazy and stupid isn't worth the bandwidth he consumes with his inane drivel.

April 13, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
  17. HeavenSent

Cursed [be] he that maketh the blind to wander out of the way. And all the people shall say, Amen.

Deuteronomy 27:18

April 13, 2013 at 11:59 am |
    • Roberto

Judge not, that ye be not judged. Christians always seem to forget that verse.

April 13, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
    • fintastic

"This evil cannot be concealed by the power of the Elves. We do not have the strength to withstand both Mordor and Isengard. Gandalf, the Ring cannot stay here. This evil belongs to all of Middle-Earth. They must decide now how to end it. The time of the Elves is over, my people are leaving these shores. Who will you look to when we've gone? The Dwarves? They toil away in caverns, seeking riches. They care nothing for the troubles of others."

Elrond

April 17, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
  18. faith

NO KORN

April 12, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • faith

told ya

April 12, 2013 at 6:40 pm |
    • biggles

The animals have grown strangely quiet. Hmm. They must hate the korn man, no? He claims to be a delusional, hateful, stupid, selfish, sick fundie, exactly the kind they love to hate. Usually takes years for them to finish hurling insults. What b up?

April 12, 2013 at 10:03 pm |
    • Science

biggles and faith ..................lost in space, can't find that place....................where the fairy in the sky been hiding aye ?

April 13, 2013 at 6:16 am |
    • biggles

Where is the hate? Where is the vitriolic bull? Where are the god-hating demon possessed pigs?

April 13, 2013 at 10:26 am |
  19. stanknasty

If monkeys were evolving a little at a time and it took millions of years to evolve, how did they poop if their bottom did not evolve but after millions of years in the process? It doesn't make sense. If you can't go poo, then you won't be around much long... therefore if it doesn't make sense, it's not true. No poop for millions of years? How's that possible? I can't go a day without pooping.

April 12, 2013 at 5:19 pm |
    • WOW

LOL. Theism – Where an uneducated theist is our best customer."

April 12, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • The real Tom

I didn't think there were people that stupid...

April 12, 2013 at 6:37 pm |
    • JB

Troll, take a basic biology course.

April 13, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
  20. stanknasty

The atheist motto is: God doesn't exist and I hate Him.

April 12, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
    • The real Tom

Gee, how original! I have NEVER heard THAT one before!! YOU must be a GENIUS!! How is it you are posting on a forum with all the rest of us mere mortals when you possess such tremendous insight and such original and unique thoughts???

April 12, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • biggles

Good one. Now all these tough girls will run home to mommy and whine for days.

April 12, 2013 at 9:58 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@biggles

Actually, I personally like when theists post that kind of utter stupidity. It give a nice showcase of the damage religion does to the mind, and the utter stupidity and close-minded bigotry of the heavily religious.
      So keep going stanknasty, and you too biggles. You do a wonderful job of completely undermining the constant rhetoric of the religious being good people because of their religion.

April 12, 2013 at 10:02 pm |
    • John

The atheists motto:

"If God is mentioned, deny it ever happened because they'd have to be liars or delusional, and if it actually happened, say nothing did it instead"

April 12, 2013 at 10:09 pm |
    • Roberto

The atheist motto is: "It seems kind of dumb to believe that there's a magic invisible man in the sky who is all powerful but had to kill his son (who is also him) to save us from his own wrath because he engineered us in a way that we would want to break his "laws" just to test us.

April 13, 2013 at 1:32 pm |