home
RSS
The money man behind atheism’s activism
March 23rd, 2013

The money man behind atheism’s activism

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Todd Stiefel is far from a household name, and the odds he gets recognized on a street corner, even in his hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina, are small.

Stiefel isn’t shy about his far-reaching goals.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

From Catholic school to atheist millionaire

CNN Belief: The secular high priest of SXSW

‘Just doing my part’

Walking the line

Stiefel speaks onstage at the Reason Rally.

Evidence of that is his work on cancer fundraising.

For 2013, the goal is to raise $500,000.

Expanding the community

Stiefel said he wants to see the atheism movement expand its footprint.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism

soundoff (7,617 Responses)
  1. Dummy Munny

What a waste of money. How many people could you feed with that? Does it really matter what someone believes if they're starving? A person of a gift of privilege shouldn't waste money on such ignoble causes.

April 17, 2013 at 8:52 pm |
    • Saraswati

As long as you also argue that money spent on religious conferences promoting their beliefs is wasted equally you would at least be consistent. Where I would disagree is that you ignore the fact that beliefs matter to what actual gets done. One reasons that there are so many people starving in developing countries is that the Catholic church has fought international funding of programs that provide birth control. Ditto for AIDS. I'm not making a claim that promoting atheism will save the world – it may well be other ideas that maximize happiness. But it isn't insane to think changing ideas might help.

April 17, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
    • zometimer

Lets tax churches! They really dont provide for the community anyway.

April 17, 2013 at 9:44 pm |
    • Terrance

Stiefel – $3.5 million spent promoting his beliefs.

Catholic Church – $6 billion spent paying off victims of their abuse.

I guess all those abused children and their family's spent those billions on food so it's like the church was just feeding the poor, right?

April 17, 2013 at 11:39 pm |
    • HotAirAce

How many people could be fed if the RCC and Pope-A-Dope sold their treasures and ceremonial clothes? Hypocrite!!

April 18, 2013 at 1:42 am |
    • Science

Or taxing the proberty.....................would feed millions ?

April 18, 2013 at 8:36 am |
  2. Sad

Perhaps Mr. Stiefel could bring more benefit to the world if he spent some of that wealth educating the other followers of his faith what it means to be a humanist. Perhaps if he took a few quiet hours to read through the continuous postings of bigotry, intolerance and plain hatred spread about by people who loudly proclaim their atheist affiliation.

Or, perhaps the church of atheism truly is just the "religion of me" and the concept of respect for other human beings is simply not possible.

April 17, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
    • zometimer

Its a constant battle with christians who force their beliefs on everyone they can. As an athiest I just want to be able to live in this secular country without some wacko declaring christian this or that.

April 17, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
  3. Damien

Satan - Winning since chapter 3 of genesis. Come join the winning team!

April 17, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
  4. Something to think about

Isn't it kinder to let people on their death bed lie down with whatever they want to think of. For example, if I tell you Captain Kirk is going to beam me up on the enterprise..and it's my last few hours of life are you going to proove me wrong or just kind of go with it out of compassion?

April 16, 2013 at 11:37 pm |
    • Dash Riprock

The only deathbed conversion attempts I have seen were Christians. I had a real problem with that when my father died. He was non-religious, but some Catholic friends kept showing up and spattering him with Lourdes holy water, and a fundamentalist couple twice did some mumbo jumbo soul-snatching-macarena-for-Jesus ceremony. It was in very bad taste as he would not have tolerated a minute of it, but he was drugged to the gills and unconscious, so I did not throw them out like I wanted to. I did have to tell them not to do it again, though.

Christian arrogance is truly astounding.

April 16, 2013 at 11:54 pm |
    • biggles

Get out your violins

April 17, 2013 at 12:09 am |
    • Dash Riprock

No violins, just a towel for the stealth holy water flinging.

April 17, 2013 at 12:16 am |
    • laststonecarver

I walked with my mother, across the bridge, to death –
      I held her hand, and told her stories about the great Used-to Was –
      She squeezed my hand to acknowledge –
      I walked back across the bridge alone, but she will always be a part of me –

April 17, 2013 at 5:42 am |
    • Something to think about

My mom was a Christian. She died last week. She was anything but arrogant. I didn't tell her I didn't believe in God. If someone has time left I'll talk about it, if they are on their way out...I'd rather they not be scared. I'd rather they think whatever helps at that point in time.

April 17, 2013 at 6:32 am |
    • laststonecarver

@Something,
      Your mom will always be a part of you –

April 17, 2013 at 6:56 am |
    • Jim

The problem is that's not all religion does. If it was most people wouldn't have a problem with it.

April 17, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
    • joey navis

the amazing and incredible hubris, on all sides really, is that so many think they KNOW, the believers and the skeptics all think they know what is beyond knowing. we DONT have a clue. afterlife?? heaven?? nothingness??? we have NO idea. our problem is we can't accept that we have NO idea.

April 17, 2013 at 10:48 pm |
    • laststonecarver

@Jim and joey,
      This particular story was really not about religion, or of knowing something you can't know.
      It was about compassion, for the dying –

April 18, 2013 at 5:41 am |
  5. rusty cheeks

benny hinn proves there is no god

April 16, 2013 at 10:38 pm |
    • Lord Krsna

I'm blue dabo dee dabo di..
      I'm blue dabo dee dabo di..

April 16, 2013 at 10:46 pm |
  6. Mike

It's not the book, it's the worship of it. Why can't religions just be gathering of readers and greeters who share what they like and dislike about the stories they read? It's not like it wasn't people who wrote the Bible; even most Christians will agree with that. Religions should just be giant book clubs.

April 15, 2013 at 11:31 pm |
    • biggles

Start your own club

April 16, 2013 at 1:06 am |
    • HotAirAce

I'm sure he meant "Start your own cult."

April 16, 2013 at 5:33 am |
    • Gutsy333

SEVERAL VERSIONS OF THE CHRISTIAN BIBLE CLAIM DIFFERENT THINGS. SO IT IS HARD TO BELIEVE CONTRADICTORY BOOKS, THE MORE RADICAL, THE LESS TRUST W0RTHY.

April 16, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
  7. biggles

We'd love to see the new study that shows the god-hating demons r happier than anybody, Dorothy, unless you or yours conducted the fraud.

Atheists on this forum are not smart, either. Jesus shed his blood for korn Welch to save him from the world, the flesh and the devil. [and little fvck sambo] lol

April 15, 2013 at 11:01 pm |
    • sam stone

"blah, blah, fvcking blah" – biggles

April 16, 2013 at 7:13 am |
    • fintastic

Mr Wiggles@ = 9 years old.

April 17, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
    • faith

feel better?

April 18, 2013 at 1:50 am |
    • Science

Biggles and faith

Holy Hallucinations 35

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XTCRdC8Dlo&w=640&h=360]

May 2, 2013 at 5:54 am |
  8. Salero21

No doubt about it atheism is the Full bloom of stupidity! Practical atheists are the worst of people, they're worst than wild animals. Jesus said so!

April 15, 2013 at 9:22 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

Awww poor salero. Your self-loathing got the better of you again? How sad it must be to be you.

April 15, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
      • bananas

she is lost

October 23, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • sam stone

salero: if you have the courage, take that big step to go meet jeebus

April 16, 2013 at 7:29 am |
    • Saraswati

"Practical atheists"?

April 16, 2013 at 7:34 am |
  9. Tim

The problem with atheism? Prove that there isn't something out there. I'll take agnosticism thank you

April 15, 2013 at 8:44 pm |
    • Atheism Duality

There are two types of atheism: One see's no evidence for any God's and thus does not believe in any. The other makes the claim that there are no Gods and cannot be any God's.

The important difference is that the first atheist is allowing for new evidence to be presented which could alter their conclusion, but at this time see's no evidence for any God's and thus does not believe any God's exist. Some might claim this is agnosticism but it is not as an agnostic believes there may or may not be God's but we have no way of verifying it so they see no reason to commit.

April 16, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
    • fintastic

@Tim, how do you prove a negative? If you are making a claim, you must provide the evidence for that claim. Is this so hard to understand?

April 17, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
    • lol??

God is a triune God, so naturally one would see elements of His nature in nature.

"Zec 13:8 And it shall come to pass, [that] in all the land, saith the LORD, two parts therein shall be cut off [and] die; but the third shall be left therein."

May 2, 2013 at 5:35 am |
    • Science

Oops lol??...................video post above for you too !

May 2, 2013 at 5:56 am |
  10. Someone explain to me

How is no hope better than false hope if the outcome is the same...I am not getting that point at all.

April 15, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
  11. Atheism is a form of SEVERE mental illness

Jesus saves

April 15, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
    • sam stone

Ironic that people desire to spend eternity with a being from whom they have to be "saved". Spiritual Stockhholm Syndrome.

April 15, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
    • Eric

Let's go get 'em, boys and girls. Zombie jesus can't have our children's brains anymore.

April 15, 2013 at 5:22 pm |
    • Atheism is a form of SEVERE mental illness

Atheism is like watching paint dry. BORING!!!!!!! Atheism is like picking up your dog's poop. It's a hassle, but you gotta do it or else your entire existence would in vein. Atheism is like a black hole. It sucks you into nothingness. True Atheism is like searching for your keys when their lost. You know its somewhere and you just got to find it...doesn't mean its not there!!

April 15, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
    • Dippy's sub

It's "vain." Not "vein."

Do you make an effort to write poorly or is it a natural talent?

April 15, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • Really?

"Atheism is a form of SEVERE mental illness"

That's why there's a new study out that shows atheists live happier and healthier lives than conservative Christians. Then there's the study out that people who just act religious but aren't true believers suffer from mental illness.

April 15, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
  12. Salero21

OK, here I'am again you foolish ignorant atheists! To remind you that atheism is stupidity in Full bloom.

April 15, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
    • sam stone

eat your sidearm, pen-day-ho

April 15, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
    • Red Dwarf

Keep posting Salero21! You make it much easier to pick which side of the debate to join with your unwitty responses and even less witty ideology. It's like picking teams for any sport where no one wants to be picked by the Captain who's pants fell around his ankles tripping the whole team up and losing the game last time... the Christians are standing off to the side trying to hide behind the bleachers to avoid getting picked by him and being made to look foolish.

April 15, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
    • Salero21

@ Sammy stoned,

Can't disprove or refute what I said huh?

April 15, 2013 at 9:17 pm |
    • Salero21

@Red Barf,

Are you sick, still barfing?

April 15, 2013 at 9:18 pm |
    • sam stone

Why should I seek to refute stupid statements from stupid people?

Follow jeebus, like all the other sheep.

April 16, 2013 at 7:31 am |
  13. Felix Sinclair

Why shouldn't people who actually ADMIT they don't believe in gods make some money from it?

April 15, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
    • Someone explain to me

Same reason people who believe in them shouldn't make money. Why should I pay you for your opinion..y'know?

April 15, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • Saraswati

@Someone,

You pay people for their opinions all the time: doctors, lawyers, accountants... You might also pay just for the entertainment value, perhaps the equivalent of a performance artist. Few people in a modern society actually produce goods.

April 16, 2013 at 7:36 am |
    • Someone explain to me

Yeah but there is a big difference between me paying a doctor to get a tumor out of my body, and me paying to hear someone tell me there isn't a figment under the bed.

It's like: "So what do you have proof of?"
      him: "nothing"
      me: "Hey..me too!"

((shrugs))

April 16, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
    • HotAirAce

You don't really want to put astrologists out of businesses, do you? And the difference between a god believer or jesus myth cultist is?

April 16, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
  14. LAST DAY

GOD is absolutely real;

see and witness these "Ultimate & Irrefutable Proofs" in this regard

with your own eyes

here now:

UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES!

April 15, 2013 at 5:25 am |
    • Science

Hey last day.....................are you as smart as a 5th grader ?

Is he smarter than a 5th grader ?

Listening to the Big Bang - In High Fidelity

Apr. 4, 2013 — A decade ago, spurred by a question for a fifth-grade science project, University of Washington physicist John Cramer devised an audio recreation of the Big Bang that started our universe nearly 14 billion years ago.

April 15, 2013 at 7:00 am |
    • Science

And the only miracles are in the soup !

Origin of Life: Power Behind Primordial Soup Discovered

April 15, 2013 at 9:47 am |
    • Science

An illusion it is.

Engineering 'Ghost' Objects: Breakthrough in Scattering Illusion

Feb. 19, 2013 — A team at the NUS Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering led by Dr Qiu Cheng-Wei has come out with an optical device to "engineer" ghosts.

April 15, 2013 at 10:58 am |
    • Dennis

Pastafarianism is much more fun than plain old Atheism!

April 15, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
  15. von

I've heard people scream this ignorantly towards the heavens, "if you're real,God, show yourself." So, when God does come down to show himself (Jesus), we reject him and have him killed. If God showed up in all his glory to the whole world, we would STILL rationalize his appearance and STILL not believe.

April 14, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
    • von

Furthermore, this is not an anti-religious movement, this is an end-time anti-Christ movement. This guy thinks he's making his own path. NO, he's right on time according to God's calendar – FOOL!

April 14, 2013 at 6:13 pm |

• rinse and repeat lunacy –

April 14, 2013 at 6:26 pm |
    • Ted

"rinse n repeat" – yeah try to be a little more cliche, please

April 14, 2013 at 9:54 pm |
    • sam stone

wow, von.....pretty impressive.

April 15, 2013 at 6:11 am |
    • Hmmmm

"I've heard people scream this ignorantly towards the heavens, "if you're real,God, show yourself."

I call bull shlt. I do not think he has ever heard anyone scream this but is inventing what he thinks non-believers in his mind would do...

April 15, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
    • sam stone

wow, the end times.....luckily, that hasn't been predicted before

April 15, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
  16. Salero21

All animals of all species and subspecies have been observed and recorded showing affections and compassion even to animals of other species, genus and families. Domestic and farm animals of course do show affections even sympathy towards their masters, owners/farmers. I once saw a cricket trying to revive another cricket that I have step on while doing some work in the crawlspace.

Animals have of course customs, instincts, practices and rituals, like in mating rituals. However animals do NOT have or practice Religion, because they don't have an innate discernment of Right and Wrong. If well trained some domestic animals and pets appear to show remorse or guilt. However they don't do that on their own. Only Human beings belong, follow, have or practice Religion.

I'm not a religious man but I don't hold grudges against any religion. It is a characteristic that separates us Humans from the animals.

When atheists attack in their irrational and ravenous rants any and all religions, or in particular Christianity; what they're doing in fact is attacking the very fiber of Humanity. In doing so these atheists descend to levels lower than that of Wild animals. They [atheists] become as dogs, goats, swine and wolves in their irrationality.

Just as Jesus said and compare them to! Jesus called Herod a Fox, and said of those who refused to believe (in a Metaphorical way of course), that they were such as dogs, goats and swine and wolves. Jesus said so, the Scriptures say so, God says so!

Always keep in mind atheists that atheism is stupidity in full bloom. I'll be around to remind you in case you forget. Now you can bark, bleat, squeal and howl all you want. I'm not listening!

April 14, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
    • oOo

LOL. starting with the second paragraph – this just falls apart quickly showing exposing the mind of a very deluded, uneducated individual.

April 14, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
    • tallulah13

You actually don't know if animals practice religion or not, Salero. Perhaps those who are untouched by humanity do so.

But I doubt they do, simply because animals tend to live in the "now, and deal in what is tangible. Humans, on the other hand, do not like what they do not understand, and strive to quantify it. For some, research and observation are enough to take the fear out of the unknown. But those who lack the means or the will to look for honest answers often turn to the supernatural, to the detriment of the society around them.

April 14, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • Salero21

@ tallulah13,,

Aha, I don't know but you do know right? You fool the reason God granted man to have religion is because unlike animals, man was Created after God's own likeness. But once man disobeyed God started to die and became a fool, you fool!

April 14, 2013 at 8:41 pm |
    • Salero21

oOo,

Aha, so you're so "Educated", that you may be another one of the many a$$es with a Diploma. Can't refute or disprove what I said right?

April 14, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
    • The real Tom

"I'm not listening!"

Are you putting your grubby little fingers in your ears and yelling, "Lalala, I can't hear you", Salero?

What are you, 15?

Is English a second language for you? If not, why are you capitalizing random words? You seem incapable of writing even your simple thoughts in any coherent way.

April 14, 2013 at 8:46 pm |
    • Roger

Oh Salaro, where do I begin – first off, you would need to prove that animals "don't have an innate discernment of Right and Wrong" to prove your point. We are starting to learn that animals do have morals, and if you are not looking at right and wrong from a religious perspective, then it's all subjective anyway. Good luck with that. If you are looking at right and wrong as coming from God, then that's different, but you'd have tons more to prove there. Good luck also proving that religion is a necessary fiber of humanity. Once you get past that, then claiming any advantage we have over animals might make sense (in regard to religion).

April 14, 2013 at 8:54 pm |
    • The real Tom

"what they're doing in fact is attacking the very fiber of Humanity."

What utter nonsense. There are billions of people on this planet. Are you actually contending that all civilization owes its existence to religion? Do you have any evidence that bears that out? There are plenty of thriving societies that are nearly completely secular. There's absolutely nothing remotely true about your claim.

April 14, 2013 at 9:04 pm |
    • tallulah13

Salero, as I said you can't prove that animals don't have religion. You cannot prove humans were created in the image of god because you can't even prove your god exists. All you have is the fear of your own inconsequentiality. You are a pitiable being, and if indeed you are created in a god's image, then you worship a pitiable god.

April 15, 2013 at 1:17 am |
    • redzoa

It appears a premise of the original post's argument is that unlike animals, humans have an innate sense of right and wrong. Clearly, this poster has never raised human children. . .

April 15, 2013 at 1:30 am |
    • Salero21

@ Roger,

So.. when you say "we are starting to learn", should I suppose that includes you as a researcher/scientist; or are you just parroting? You fool! You'll probably discover that atheists fall below animals in their irrational scorn of Christianity. Just as Jesus said!

April 15, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
    • Salero21

@ The real Tom is a Fake Tommy,

Your Vernacular language is Gibberish!

April 15, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
    • The real Tom

Shove it up your rectum, Salero, you little dick.

April 15, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
    • Salero21

@ The real Tom tummy fake,

Psst, your orientation is showing!

April 15, 2013 at 9:20 pm |
    • Science

Sally.............. video posted above for you too ...................sweet cheeks !

May 2, 2013 at 5:59 am |
  17. My name is Bond

I'm bloody mad now! I asked for it to be shaken and I got it stirred by Todd Stiefel.

April 14, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
    • M & Q

He is full of wacky backy Mr. Bond.

April 14, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
  18. mason

Maybe Todd can help launch a SBN Secular Broadcasting Network for television??? One can hope.

April 14, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
  19. Mary Romans

Its very simple, believe in God and you go to heaven, if you do not then you go to HELL

April 14, 2013 at 12:43 pm |
    • faith

believe in dorothy and go to a mythical somewhere, sometime, not too sure exactly, maybe dorothy will tell us in her next best seller,

I AM GOD, GOD IS ME, SO BEAT IT UNLESS YOU PLAN TO BOW DOWN TO WORSHIP ME or i don't have a clue but i enjoy asking xtards who wrote matthew. i know who wrote it, but do you?

April 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm |
    • Nietodarwin

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullspit.”
      _ Richard Pryor
      If god created man in his own image, how come I'm not invisible?”
      _ David Powers

April 14, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • sam stone

very simpleminded.....

how do you expect that people can fear retaliation from a being in which they do not believe?

do you fear thor? odin? ganesh, baal?

ignorant fvcking diseased gash.....

April 15, 2013 at 6:13 am |
  20. rh

Funny how the only article I see on the "Belief" blog about atheism mocks it.

And "atheism movement"? Please – is there a "creamy peanut butter" movement? I don't believe in a god but I believe in morals. Hopefully that puts me with other people who happen to believe in a god.

The only movement there should be is the "separation of church and state movement" – why is the idea of "God" so pervasive when the government is not supposed to establish a religion? Why do I as an atheist not have access to tax benefits that anyone who touts a belief in a god can get?

April 14, 2013 at 11:39 am |
    • Roger

rh – "Please – is there a "creamy peanut butter" movement?"

Hey, don't knock it. Believe me, it's much more comfortable than an extra-crunchy peanut butter movement.

rh – "I don't believe in a god but I believe in morals. Hopefully that puts me with other people who happen to believe in a god."

Do you think morals come from a god? Take a look at the other article "Where do morals come from?" Read some of the discussion regarding "objective morality".

April 14, 2013 at 12:16 pm |