home
RSS
April 4th, 2013

Museum defends 'Jew in a Box' exhibit

(CNN)–Curator Michal Friedlander of the Jewish Museum in Berlin defends a controversial exhibition titled "Jew in a Box."

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Judaism

1. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things..

April 7, 2013 at 6:52 am |
  2. joe

Why is it that the slightest mention of anything religious brings out the stupidest and ugliest trolls on the internet? On both sides of the issue....

April 6, 2013 at 10:05 pm |
  3. Edwin

Sounds awful, but modern art is rarely to my liking.

April 6, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
  4. KARL MARX

Does the box represent Israel? In Moscow they have V. I. LENIN in a box, too.

April 6, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
  5. collectivedementia

How far do you think this would go if it were "Black in a Box"?

April 6, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
    • joey

Yeah your right,,,,and Jack in the box why are they doing this to Jack?Its horrific. Unimaginable!! Shame on all of them.

April 7, 2013 at 11:25 am |
  6. palintwit

Sarah Palin is a twit,
    Is a twit
    Is a twit
    Sarah Palin is a twit
    She likes to wallow in moose dung.

(Sung to the tune of Mary Had A Little Lamb)

April 6, 2013 at 11:14 am |
  7. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

April 6, 2013 at 6:27 am |
    • Jesus

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!~

April 6, 2013 at 10:37 am |
    • Really?

"Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things"

That's why the data; has shown that atheists have happier and healthier lives than conservative Christians. Your post is built on a lie !

April 6, 2013 at 10:40 am |
  8. Age of Reason

... the jewish people are the most intelligent, cohesive and successfull people in the world-bar none! They don't believe that Jesus existed! Therefore, by their success, you can know that Jesus Christ NEVER existed!

April 5, 2013 at 9:48 pm |
    • .

Galatians 3

1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
      2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law [Torah—Old Testament Law] , or by the hearing of faith?
      3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
      4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.
      5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
      6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
      7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith [in Christ], the same are the [spiritual] children of Abraham.
      8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.
      9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
      10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
      11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
      12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
      13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
      14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
      15 Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.
      16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
      17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
      18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
      19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
      20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
      21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
      22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
      23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
      24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
      25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
      26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
      27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
      28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
      29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs [of eternal life] according to the promise.  KJV

April 6, 2013 at 5:50 am |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

From book of hindu Mithra ism, racist savior ism of hindu dark ages called Bible. hinduismism, fabrication of hindus crooks to justify hinduism racism, human as gods.

April 6, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Age of Reason, if you are a Jew, then, you too have eyes that don't see or ears that can hear His truth. For Jesus was foretold in the Torah (OT).

April 6, 2013 at 4:26 pm |
    • Correctlycenter

Then I guess that settles it! Jesus Christ Who is God, Savior, Healer, Bread of life, Messiah, the Good Shepherd, Redeemer, Emmanuel, Creator, King of kings, Lord of lords, the Way, Truth and the Life, Rock of Ages, Friend simply doesn't exist because of spiritual blindness and tradition. YOU will be judged by Him some day.

"So that at the name of Jesus, all knees will bow in heaven, on the earth and under the earth. And every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Philippians 2:10-11...

April 6, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
    • Edwin

Odd attempt at logic. Since it is inherently flawed, we can infer (using your reasoning methods) that you are not Jewish...

The fact that Jews have been very successful in intellectual pursuits has little to do with a magical ability to know the absolute religious truth, but it DOES have to do with the values inherent in their religion.

Christians believe that spiritual enlightenment is ultimately divinely inspired - understanding can help, but is not the critical factor. It is possible to 'see the light' simply by hearing the gospel from another. Jews believe that spiritual enlightenment is derived from learning - the sign of a religious man was one that studied and deeply knew the Torah. It is impossible to convert to Judaism without long periods of study. That emphasis on learning is part of why Jewish families tend to produce more doctors, lawyers, and scientists. Simply speaking, Christians emphasize enlightenment over scholarly study; Jews emphasize the other way.

There is, of course, another reason why Jews are more prevalent in the scholarly and academic professions: for centuries, Christian Europe banned Jews from being able to own land. They were unable to be nobles or farmers - so they were forced into professions in order to be able to eat. Necessity made them successful.

April 6, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Psalms 22:1- 31

1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? [why art thou so] far from helping me, [and from] the words of my roaring?

2 O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.

3 But thou [art] holy, [O thou] that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

4 Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.

5 They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.

6 But I [am] a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, [saying],

8 He trusted on the LORD [that] he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.
      9 But thou [art] he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope [when I was] upon my mother's breasts.

10 I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou [art] my God from my mother's belly.

11 Be not far from me; for trouble [is] near; for [there is] none to help.

12 Many bulls have compassed me: strong [bulls] of Bashan have beset me round.

13 They gaped upon me [with] their mouths, [as] a ravening and a roaring lion.

14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

17 I may tell all my bones: they look [and] stare upon me.

18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

19 But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me.

20 Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.

21 Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.

22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.

23 Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.

24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.

25 My praise [shall be] of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.

26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.

27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.

28 For the kingdom [is] the LORD'S: and he [is] the governor among the nations.

29 All [they that be] fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.

30 A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.

31 They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done [this].

Amen.

April 7, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
    • HeavenSent

More proof that Jesus is Lord from the OT.

Isaiah 53:1-12

1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?

2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, [there is] no beauty that we should desire him.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were [our] faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he [was] wounded for our transgressions, [he was] bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [was] upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither [was any] deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put [him] to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see [his] seed, he shall prolong [his] days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, [and] shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him [a portion] with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Amen.

April 7, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Jeremiah 23:5   Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.

Luke 20:39-47

39   Then certain of the scribes answering said, Master, thou hast well said.

40   And after that they durst not ask him any [question at all].

41   And he said unto them, How say they that Christ is David's son?
      d he said unto them, How say they that Christ is David's son?
      42   And David himself saith in the book of Psalms, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

43   Till I make thine enemies thy footstool.

44   David therefore calleth him Lord, how is he then his son?

45   Then in the audience of all the people he said unto his disciples,

46   Beware of the scribes, which desire to walk in long robes, and love greetings in the markets, and the highest seats in the synagogues, and the chief rooms at feasts;

47   Which devour widows' houses, and for a shew make long prayers: the same shall receive greater damnation.

Amen.

April 7, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
  9. USMC 1371

Lets do false profits in a box start with mohammad

April 5, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
  10. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things,

April 5, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
    • Jesus

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!.

April 5, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
    • Really

"Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things"

That's why the data; has shown that atheists have happier and healthier lives than conservative Christians. Your post is built on a lie!

April 5, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
    • Atheist, me?

Really
      it is sad to note the obvious misinformation in your post. It is well proven that religious people are happier than non-religious people! CNN has even published it here once!

April 5, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
  11. Rynomite

Why is this controversial? It's not like it's "jew in an oven".

April 5, 2013 at 11:10 am |
    • Chuckles

I don't think it's the particular setting, it's the fact that they're putting people on display like animals.

Germany already has a little history with treating jews a little less than human, so to put them in a zoo-like setting doesn't exactly help that image.

April 5, 2013 at 11:14 am |
  12. Jonah

I would like to invite all my friends to view General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints starting tomorrow (Saturday) at 10:00 A.M. MST. Just click on lds.org.

April 5, 2013 at 10:51 am |
    • joey

We are as of now,Not Friends.No,i will not be attending or viewing ther mormoin in the box.

April 7, 2013 at 11:29 am |
  13. May be a good idea

but not in a museum.

April 5, 2013 at 10:12 am |
    • guest

Jews show-boxing themselves again.

April 5, 2013 at 10:23 am |
  14. Bob1god

JEW in a box, oh my, how controversial!

April 5, 2013 at 2:12 am |
  15. frederick johnsen

In 1914 my late-neighbor paid one pfennig to see a black man at a fair in Cologne, Germany, as their were no blacks living there at the time. How things seem to have stayed the same.

April 4, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
  16. HeavenSent

T i t u s 1:10-16, 1 S a m u a l 8:4-9, A c ts 9:10-23 to start your reading.

April 4, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
    • End Religion

Reading the bible is the last thing anyone needs. It's nothing but trouble.

April 4, 2013 at 10:00 pm |
    • Science

HS ...................do it daily might ?

Here is where the discussion should be ? Not with some outdated fairy.

Can Synthetic Biology Save Wildlife? From Re-Creating Extinct Species to the Risk of Genetically Modified Super-Species

April 5, 2013 at 8:03 am |
    • HeavenSent

If you read His truth that I posted which was blocked on the other article until I had to work around the block, you'd learn truth. I guess some love being conditioned in lies..

April 5, 2013 at 10:50 am |
  17. Chuckles

Honestly I find it pretty funny and it's also probably engagingly informative. It's actually quite astonishing how much people don't know about Judaism and are afraid to ask questions lest they be branded an anti-semite. I've also made it very clear to any of my friends that asking a question, regardless of how stupid or insensitive it sounds out of curiosity is not anti-semitic nor will I ever get offended. I think this is a good idea and is obviously getting flak because jews want to not be portrayed as a dying animal in a cage for the masses to see before they're all gone, but the sad truth is whether we're in glass boxes at a museum or not, Judaism isn't going to be around forever.

April 4, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
    • HeavenSent

T i t u s 1:10-16,
      1 S a m u a l 8:4-9,
      A c ts 9:10-23 to start your reading.

April 5, 2013 at 10:51 am |
    • dustball

Chuckles, God's word will be around forever.

Another exhibit recently had a woman sleeping in a glass box. I predict some day in the future, a teenager will play a video game in a glass box in a museaum, and people will be fascinated by it. His mom will make him sandwiches in an adjacent glass box.

April 6, 2013 at 6:12 am |
    • isolate

Six thousand years of history and you can say that?

April 6, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
  18. Reasonably

Could start a new fast food franchise.

April 4, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
    • Alias

That's not a very kosher thing to say..

April 5, 2013 at 10:30 am |
  19. William Demuth

The Berlin museum?

I bet they have a thousand dead Jews in a box in the basement

Perhaps France or England, but GERMANY??

Some curator is about as blind and insensitive as is possible for a german

April 4, 2013 at 4:17 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I saw a Jewish comic in Berlin. It was pretty morbid stuff, but the crowd loved it. I think modern German humour is all based on masochism.

April 4, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
  20. Lycidas

??Was there to be a pic with this article?

April 4, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
    • Science

A video .

April 4, 2013 at 4:15 pm |
    • Flung

Yeah, the pic was of a hairy, smelly ass in a box. But you'd know more about that stuff than me anyways...

April 7, 2013 at 2:09 pm |