home
RSS
My Take: The thin line between God and guns
April 10th, 2013

My Take: The thin line between God and guns

Editor's Note: The Rt. Rev. Edward J. Konieczny is bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Oklahoma. He was previously a police officer in Southern California.

By Edward J. Konieczny, Special to CNN

(CNN)  Both sides of the gun control debate think I’m on their side. I am the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Oklahoma, a believer in Jesus Christ and for more than 18 years before entering seminary, I was a police officer.

While I try to preach God’s love and mercy, I also have a concealed carry permit and sometimes take my gun on long drives through the isolated areas of my diocese.

I live with the knowledge that I share responsibility for the taking of a human life in the line of duty and that a good friend on the force was shot and killed after we’d swapped shifts. And I wouldn’t be writing this article if the rifle that was pointed at my head one night by a man in the grip of a mental illness hadn’t failed to fire.

Until very recently, I was adamantly opposed to any expansion of gun control. But as I have reflected on the current debate — and the emotionally charged and morally complex gun-related moments in my past — I find myself struggling and evolving in my understanding of guns in our society. I think it is time for an honest conversation about the assumptions on which both sides in the gun debate base their arguments. It's  time for both sides to acknowledge that neither offers a complete solution to the problems of violence in our society.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

In 1979, one of my best friends, a fellow police officer named Don, swapped shifts with me so I could play in a police softball tournament. During that shift, Don was escorting a man from a bar when the man pulled a semiautomatic weapon from his coat and shot Don in the chest. Don died at the scene.

The man who shot Don was a convicted felon, recently released from prison. He should not have been able to buy a gun, but he had bought the one he used and several others from a licensed dealer.

In 1982, I was leading a team of officers trying to catch a serial rapist who had escaped from prison. Acting on a tip, we spotted the suspect in a car he'd stolen from his latest victim. As he tried to run over us, several of us shot at him — causing him to lose control and crash into a telephone pole. When he tried to retrieve what we thought was a gun in the car, officers fired again, killing him. Although I wasn't among those who fired the final shots — and it's unlikely I fired the fatal one — I still feel partially responsible for his death.

In 1991, a few days before I was to leave the police department to enter seminary, I was dispatched to check on a man with a history of depression who had not responded to his family’s numerous attempts to contact him. No one responded to our knocking, and when my partner and I opened the door to his house, the man appeared directly in front of me with a rifle pointed at my head. He pulled the trigger, but the weapon did not fire.

Later we learned that the man had struggled with serious mental illness for years but was still able to purchase weapons.

My 18 years as a police officer taught me that the law has little influence on some people, that those people are dangerous and that individual citizens have a right to protect themselves. As a priest and bishop, I have walked with those who have lost loved ones to gun violence. And in the quiet of my own meditations, I often remember my friend Don, his wife and children.

By acknowledging the complex part that guns and gun violence have played in my own life, I have come to understand that it is possible, and reasonable even, to be both inured to and incapacitated by violence.

This happens to us as individuals, and it can happen to us as a society. We get used to living with something because we cannot bear the raw emotions we would have to confront to change it.

The horrific massacre in Newtown, Connecticut,  and the murders in other communities scream out to us. The unthinkable grief of the parents and grandparents who were called upon to bury their children and grandchildren make it clear to all of us that we have to face the raw emotions of gun violence whether we want to or not.

Clearly God’s command to practice mercy and justice requires us to formulate a comprehensive response to gun violence.

We need a reasoned conversation about existing privacy laws that protect the mentally ill but too often fail to protect our law enforcement officers and our citizens. We need conversations about movies and video games that desensitize our children to the effects of violence. We need conversations about loopholes in the laws that allow the sale of weapons at gun shows and by private dealers without proper background checks.

And yes we as a society need to have a reasoned conversation about the need for military-style assault weapons and large-capacity magazines in the civilian sector.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

We need not vilify gun owners nor make it unduly difficult to purchase and register a weapon.

There is no one wise enough to imagine every circumstance in which an individual might need a gun for protection or when a gun in the right hands might save innocent lives. But I would like my grandchildren to live in a world less violent than the one I have navigated, and it would be a moral failing if I refused to play my part in creating this world because I was too proud to change my mind or too mistrustful to work with people whose experiences may be different but who grieve as I grieve and share my prayers for peace.

We must proceed with humility. But we must proceed.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Edward J. Konieczny.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Crime • Episcopal • Opinion

1. raymundo dionicio

the highest in the rank could be kindly invited to defend Homeland joining National Guard. This is the pool of people allowed to carry concealed weapons.

April 10, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
  2. cryofpaine

You cannot have rights without responsibility. They are two sides of the same coin. If you want the right to own a deadly weapon, you have the responsibility to make sure that you know how to use it properly and safely. And government has the right to hold you accountable for upholding your responsibility, and the responsibility to safeguard your right once you have met your responsibility. There is nothing wrong with requiring that someone wanting to purchase a gun be able to pass a simple background check. For instance, if someone lists "committing mass murder" as one of their likes on their Facebook page, you probably shouldn't sell them a gun. If someone just escaped from death row, you probably shouldn't sell them a gun. These kinds of checks will help cut down on the amount of guns criminals have access to. It won't stop them all, but every little bit helps in this case.

And as to the question of whether the public should have access to military-grade weapons, we already accept a certain amount of restriction. The 2nd amendment protects the right to "bear arms", not "bear firearms". Arms are anything from rocks to ICBM's to nuclear weapons. So why isn't the NRA upset that you can't go down to the local 7-11 and pick up a landmine for your front yard, or a stockpile of nukes? Because we recognize that there have to be reasonable restrictions on what the average citizen has access to. You do not need access to an assault rife. If you want to protect yourself, that is the wrong weapon. That is a weapon for indiscriminately killing large groups of people at once, not protecting yourself from a single or small number of criminals. You are likely to do more harm with that than the criminal you're trying to stop, especially without proper training not just in hitting a target, but also how to respond in a crisis. Has there ever been a single instance where a civilian stopped a criminal with an assault rifle? Not that I can recall. A quick google search turned up lots of articles about whether or not to ban them, but not one mentioning that anyone with an assault rifle has ever managed to stop a crime. The same would go for high capacity ammo.cartridges. If you haven't been able to take down an assailant with what you have in one clip, what makes you think you would be any more effective with more bullets? Probability I guess would say that your chances go up the more you try, but who are you hurting with those failed attempts in the mean time?

Then there's the "Red Dawn" scenario. The average citizen finds themselves suddenly forced to fight off an army, either from an invading force, or from their own corrupt government. So let's look at those. If we were ever invaded to the point where the military of the mightiest superpower was unable to stop them, does your one assault rifle really help? Really? And honestly, if you are that paranoid that you think that the entire military force of the US would roll over and play dead for someone who is so clearly corrupt that the average citizen feels it necessary to take up arms against them, you need help. See a therapist for your paranoid delusions. The military is made up of people. Men and women who are willing to put their lives on the line every day, not for an individual, but for the ideals of freedom and liberty. Do you honestly think that they're that much less intelligent than you are that they couldn't see that the situation was wrong when you clearly could? Do you really think they would willingly participate in the subjugation of the citizens they swore to protect, and the removal of their freedoms?

April 10, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
    • Kent State massacre

US military shooting unarmed students. google it

April 11, 2013 at 11:31 am |

@Kent state,

so ... you're arguing that the 'peace' protesters at Kent State should have been an armed insurrection instead?

What's your point, other than to state that frightened officers will order their troops to fire – like Kent State, or frightened soldiers will fire – like the redcoats confronted by an rock-throwing mob in Boston in 1770?

April 11, 2013 at 11:49 am |
  3. raymundo dionicio

the ranking on the stress tests would determine the weapons allowed to own.

April 10, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
  4. Ken Margo

@christianity.................Fishing is a skill. Shooting an animal from great distances is not. Just like farmers raise cattle, farmers can raise other animals also.

April 10, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • Ken Margo

This appears in the wrong spot.

April 10, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
  5. Bob

"The just shall live by faith; but if he shrinks back My soul will have no pleasure in him." Hebrews 10:38 This verse is often applied to salvation, to which it certainly pertains. This verse also speaks to us as Christians regarding these type of issues. We must walk in faith concerning these things, as a matter betweeen each believer and the Lord. As Christians we must keep our focus on God's eternal plan, keep our eye on the prize and not lose sight of the race that we are running. "As many as received Him (Jesus Christ) to them, He gave the right to become children of God" John 1 God Bless

April 10, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • fintastic

“Oh, it’s quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password, and the doors will open.”

– Gandalf

April 11, 2013 at 9:23 am |
  6. Paul

"This guy is a muslim, he believes in the same god that christians believe in."
    –Keith

Muslims and Christians don't believe in the same god.

April 10, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
    • Christianity is a form of SEVERE mental illness

Actually you do...

April 10, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • sam

Sorry dude! Same god.

April 10, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
    • the only thing worse

Yep, same god. Same as the jews and the acid bathers. Brotherhood like only religion can deliver.

April 10, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
    • Science

Hey Paul

How about there is no god(s) required !

Atheist Prof. Peter Higgs: Stop calling Higgs boson the ‘God particle’

Professor Peter Higgs said recently that there is no God and so people should stop referring to the theoretical partial that
      bears his name as the “God particle.”

April 10, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
    • sam stone

isaac and ishmael are brothers.

April 10, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
  7. SPW

I implore you all to look up Joseph Lozito and watch his interview. He was stabbed repeatedly on a subway train while the police watched, soon after they took credit for apprehending the attacker even though Mr. Lozito had done all the work.

The police have no sworn duty to protect us, that is why we need guns.

April 10, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
    • SPW

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEH0WJqPZU&w=640&h=360]

April 10, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

What's the ratio of subway stabbings (not gang related, but by total strangers) to subway journeys?

How does this compare with say being struck by lightning, or winning a lottery scratcher?

April 10, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • Christianity is a form of SEVERE mental illness

SPW,

Um the incident took place over a matter of seconds before he tackled him and the police officer grabbed him. It appears you have a personal issue with the police vs guns.

April 10, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • SPW

You seem to be missing the point, your very argument could be used against you as well

April 10, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • SPW

It did not happen in a matter of seconds, there is a video there for you to educate yourself as the man who survived the stabbing actually tells you what happened

April 10, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • Ken Margo

@SPW......If the police are not obligated to protect us, why do we have them? We can save a ton of money by just getting rid of them. In that case YES we need guns.

April 10, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
  8. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Ya, there is no line between Islam ism, and terror ism, filth ism

April 10, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • Answer

Islam ism is filth ism.

April 10, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

hinduism absurdity of hindu secular, filthy terrorist by faith, there is no difference between a hindu animal, ignorant self centered and hindu secular criminal self centered terrorist by faith in hindu secular ism, terrorist self center ism, way of hindus, criminals to live by hinduism terrorism by faith to follow hinduism racism.

April 10, 2013 at 9:12 pm |
  9. the only thing worse

Atheists are those people that, given the divine origin of that which does not exist, are perhaps in power of not believing in that which does not exist but must. It holds then that sacrifice and prayer are the natural bed partners of each frozen moldy rapist in a tie but god dwells within them both and if you can towel off before honey I’m home it tickles less when it hurts.

April 10, 2013 at 7:01 pm |
  10. Sryian Al Qaeda Jihadist

Obama wants gun confiscation in America . After we take Syria , were coming to visit you ! Thank you Obama , for making our job of total world domination for Islam that much easyer ! Allah Akbar ! Death to America ! Thank you Obama for the guns !

April 10, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • Ken Margo

Who is this terrorist? Doesn't he know Allah is looking for places to bomb.

April 10, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
    • Reasonably

Troll fail.

April 10, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
    • Keith

This guy is a muslim, he believes in the same god that christians believe in. It is obvious that he has asked his/your god what to do and god has told this guy to attack America. WHY hell I don't know why don't you ask your god.

April 10, 2013 at 7:00 pm |

@keith what?

April 10, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
  11. Ken Margo

The real solution is to get rid of all guns period. They have zero use. Shooting animals for "sport" is not a skill. Any idiot could do that. You would drastically reduce crime to astronomical levels if we just get rid of all the guns.

Now for a bit of reality: IT WONT HAPPEN. The reason IS NOT the 2nd amendment. The real reason is their is just too much money to be made. The same reason we cant get rid of drugs is the same reason why we cant get rid of guns. MONEY MONEY MONEY.

April 10, 2013 at 6:46 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

God, guns and green-backs: the real American holy trinity.

April 10, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • Ken Margo

I always wondered. How Catholics can be pro life and pro gun at the same time?

April 10, 2013 at 6:54 pm |
    • SPW

They have zero use, until you're being stabbed and have no way to defend yourself while police officers spectate

No, this isn't a hypothetical, it actually happened to a man in New York. Police took the credit, he came out with his story that he had to fend off the attacker on his own suffering many stab wounds, and the police stated they have no legal obligation to protect citizens.

So if the police aren't protecting us, we obviously have to protect ourselves. Even if you got rid of guns there would still be a black market.

April 10, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • Ken Margo

@SPW That is the biggest bunch of Bu'll Sh'it I've read. I live in NY. The police here will shoot you if you fart and ruffle your pants. Stop with the nonsense.

April 10, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • SPW

Look up Joseph Lozito

April 10, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • JM8237

So have you ever hunted? Animals have keen senses that make hunting much more of a challenge than you apparently realize. Second, some people actually enjoy not just the challenge of the hunt, but eating the meat of the animal. I love venison, it's very tasty, but I rarely get any because I myself don't hunt.

So, that said, your solution of getting rid of all guns is deluded, and it's not because of money. It's because guns have been around for hundreds of years, there are 300 million (if not more) of them in this country alone, and finally because some of us actually subscribe to the idea of self-protection. If you want to rely on the police, that's fine. Just remember that the courts have already ruled the police have no duty to protect you. So when seconds count, the police (if they show up) are only minutes away....

April 10, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • Ken Margo

@SPW.......Please read what YOU wrote. "The Police took the credit"

Took credit for what? According to "Joseph" they didn't do anything.

"police stated they have no legal obligation to protect citizens."

Was the police officer that said this a crack addict? This makes absolutely no sense at all.

According to "the story" the man was stabbed and guess what HE SURVIVED. Survival doesn't usually happen when guns are involved.

April 10, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
    • SPW

A police officer took credit for apprehending the suspect after Mr. Lozito was taken to a hospital, the suspect was actually apprehended by Mr. Lozito and another citizen

Watch the interview with him that can be found on youtube

April 10, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
    • SPW

And he was stabbed like 13 times, twice in the head.

April 10, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • Christianity is a form of SEVERE mental illness

"Shooting animals for "sport" is not a skill. Any idiot could do that."
      It is clear you have never hunted to be saying such an ignorant statement. Majority people would starve in the wild before they could easily shoot their meal.

April 10, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • SPW

Sadly it seems you refuse to take the time to even look it up because you're too busy being defensive

http://www.youtube com/watch?v=3kEH0WJqPZU

April 10, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Sure. And most of the game is so reduced by historical predation (by guns) that it does gets more difficult all the time. It's not a shooting gallery anymore.

Real sportsmen hunt game with bows.

April 10, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
    • Ken Margo

@JM...................There is ZERO skill sitting in a spot, waiting for an animal a distance away using binoculars and shooting it with a high powered gun. As I said before ANY IDIOT can do that. There have been lots of inventions that have gone the way of the do do bird. Why? Because financially it wasn't cutting it. Money makes the world go around, money keeps drugs available and money keeps guns around. My way of eliminating guns is simple. Stop selling them to the general public. Make it a severe punishment for using a gun OUTSIDE OF YOUR PROPERTY. Yes their are way too many guns available. This problem will not be solved overnight.

April 10, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • Ken Margo

@SPW.............I see you believe everything you see on the internet. I live in NY I know how the cops are. You are probably in mud slick Mississippi, Just finished having s3x with your cousin and now you want me to react to everything you say. Be real.

April 10, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
    • SPW

'You are probably in mud slick Mississippi, Just finished having s3x with your cousin'

You're not a very witty guy, that shows

April 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • Ken Margo

@SPW.............Why do you say that? Are you having s3x with some other member of your family?

April 10, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
    • Apatheist

@Ken... to successfully shoot and kill an animal requires a bit more skill than you may think. regardless, you need to understand that guns are useful and even necessary in rural environments. you don't help your side of the debate by making uneducated comments. there are very valid arguments on both sides of the gun debate. find and watch the recent sam harris interview on real time with bill maher.

April 10, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
    • Ken Margo

@Apatheist.......................I just don't see it as being fair someone hiding, wearing a fragrance to attract the animal, using binoculars to shoot an animal from a great distance. I consider using a bow and arrows to be a skill. Again farmers raise cattle, chickens etc.... They can raise other animals as well.

April 10, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
    • Apatheist

@Ken.... i'm not advocating recreational hunting, nor do i oppose it. my argument is that guns DO have legitimate uses, recreational use included (whatever that may entail). there are valid arguments on both sides.

April 10, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
    • Ken Margo

@apatheist.........................I'll give you this. Put enough restrictions on guns so that they can ONLY be used for legitimate purposes. Fair?

April 10, 2013 at 8:33 pm |
    • fintastic

@I'm not a GOPer,................ "Real sportsmen hunt game with bows."

"sportsmen" = someone who kills for fun.

April 11, 2013 at 11:00 am |

@fintastic,

No argument from me. I don't hunt. But hunting is not illegal.

I know lots of people who hunt with guns and people who hunt with bows. The degree of difficulty with bows is much greater and it requires far greater levels of skill. Arguably it gives the game a 'sporting' chance.

April 11, 2013 at 11:14 am |
    • fintastic

@gop............. I understand but regardless, of the level of difficulty, we're still talking about killing for amusement.
      That fact that we associate the words "game" and "sport" with killing is wrong.

April 11, 2013 at 1:09 pm |

@fintastic,

hunting offends my personal sensibilities – which is why I don't do it.

As a society we do not have a consensus that it is immoral.

April 11, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
    • Apatheist

@fintastic/GOPer i don't hunt either... i just don't have any moral objection to it. i disagree with the argument that hunting is somehow immoral simply because we can by slaughter house meat at our local grocer. disassociating yourself with the actual killing does not absolve yourself from the act itself. if you are a vegetarian, more power to you.

April 11, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
    • fintastic

gop....

"I do eat meat, so I'm not in a position to be judgemental about it – unless it is the hunting of animals without using the game for food – which even most hunters will agree is wrong."

@aha.... yes, I am a vegetarian..

April 11, 2013 at 2:54 pm |

@fintastic,

"Is it sport hunting or hunting for survival?.... most hunters will tell you they do it because they enjoy it, not because they have to do it to survive.......

I once had a laughable discussion with someone here who claimed that they needed to hunt (and therefore access to firearms) to put food on their table and that the supplemental food from hunting was essential for them to make ends meet. Given the cost of firearms, ammunition, and everything that goes into a hunting trip I was unconvinced, but there are doubtless those who believe this is the case.

None of the hunters I know need to hunt for food. They do dress their kills and later eat them, I suspect largely to 'rationalize' the activity as being distinct from indiscriminate killing.

But as I said, I'm in no position to judge – and I don't like thinking about where my animal protein comes from.

April 11, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
    • Saraswati

I'd rather people ate meat that was free until it was shot than that was factory farmed. For that reason, I don't criticize hunting. However, I have never met anyone who hunts for that reason. People hunt because they like hunting, from the outdoors to the toys to, yes, killing. In today's US everyone who hunts enjoys it. It's not necessarily a nice aspect of humanity, but I will take it over people blinding wolfing down factory farmed burgers.

April 11, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
    • fintastic

@Apatheist... " i don't hunt either... i just don't have any moral objection to it. i disagree with the argument that hunting is somehow immoral simply because we can by slaughter house meat at our local grocer. disassociating yourself with the actual killing does not absolve yourself from the act itself. if you are a vegetarian, more power to you."

I agree with most of what you said. I do have a moral objection to killing animals, that's one of the reasons I became a vegetarian years ago... how could I maintain a moral objection to killing animals if I was eating them?..

April 11, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
    • Apatheist

@fintastic exactly... as a vegetarian, you have every right to criticize hunting. as a carnivore, i would consider myself a hypocrite if i did the same.

April 11, 2013 at 4:04 pm |
  12. Jihadi American Obama voter !

Dirka dirka dirka Mohammid Jihad ! I love goats ! We love Obama !

April 10, 2013 at 6:42 pm |
  13. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

I can't remember where I pulled these figures (wikipedia perhaps) but they seem to be close to yours:

......................... Guns ..... Deaths
    .......................... p100 ...... p100k
    USA .................. 88.80 .... 9.20
    Switzerland ..... 45.70 .... 3.50
    Finland ............ 32.00 .... 3.64
    Sweden ........... 31.60 .... 1.47
    Norway ............ 31.30 .... 1.78
    Canada ........... 30.80 .... 4.78
    New Zealand .. 22.60 .... 2.66
    Australia .......... 15.00 .... 1.05
    Denmark ......... 12.00 .... 1.45
    UK ...................... 6.20 ..... 0.25
    Mexico ............. 15.00 ... 11.14

Except in Mexico, most of these gun deaths are suicides. Again excepting Mexico, the relative percentage of homicides as the cause of firearm death is highest in the US (40%).

April 10, 2013 at 6:37 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Ooops – posted in the wrong spot.

April 10, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
    • His panic

It is more than crystal clear, at least to me that they are in a total State of Panic! Panic and Hysteria are different terms for similar occurrences. Ma$$ Hysteria can lead and have lead to riots and stampedes. Americans are fat so an stampede of Americans will really, really look like an stampede.

April 10, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
  14. Gene Brady

Another religious leader who doubts God's will! Jesus KNEW what was coming to him and he still had no weapon. This clown does though. I find all these people silly/dangerous and stupid, as well as phonys

April 10, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • fintastic

@gene............ please explain how you know "god's will" ?

April 11, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
  15. graphicsgeezer

The US has the highest rate of gun ownership You have 88 guns per 100 residents, and a gun death rate of 10.2 per 100,000 In Canada there are 31 guns per 100 people and a gun death rate of 2 per 100,000. In Australia, there are 15 guns per 100 people and 1 death per 100,000. In England there is .24 guns per 100 and 6.2 deaths per 100,000. I love Americans because you're so argumentative. But I'm worried that there won't be any of you left if you don't get around to doing something soon.

April 10, 2013 at 6:33 pm |

Australia .......... 15.00 .... 1.05
      Denmark ......... 12.00 .... 1.45
      UK ...................... 6.20 ..... 0.25
      Mexico ............. 15.00 ... 11.14

April 10, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
    • Ken Margo

You need to talk to congress. Until they grow a pair and stop listening to the NRA, shootings will continue.

April 10, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

I'm guessing your source is:

and

April 10, 2013 at 6:43 pm |

@Ken,

there's been enough talk. It is time for Congress to act.

Of couse as you say – they are too afraid of not being re-elected to do anything about this issue.

April 10, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • Ken Margo

No it's time for VOTERS to act.

April 10, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
  16. rock woman

Finally, someone speaks with the voices of sanity, justice, and mercy. Would that we all follow his example instead of repeating ad nauseum all the "for" and "against" mantras that have been stuffed into our heads.

April 10, 2013 at 6:31 pm |

@rock woman,

reposting my comment from page 1:

I won't argue with any of the words of the Rt. Rev. Edward J. Konieczny either – what he says is sensible, but when all is said and done he has said little other than we need to talk about guns and gun violence.

He doesn't take any position about what he thinks should be done.

With all respect Rev. Konieczny, we need to do something about guns and gun violence, not just talk about it.

April 10, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
  17. Trevor

Guns and jesus, a red neck paradise.

April 10, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
  18. 20iken13

what happened to thou shall not kill?

April 10, 2013 at 6:22 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

commandment did not cover hindus, denier of truth absolute, but were ordered to be eliminated along with their hinduism, illegality for peace ,Islam on earth.

April 10, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • STFU

SHUT UP MOHAMMAD YOU IDIOT RACIST GOAT HUMPER!

April 10, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

@STFU, nothing wrong with goat hamper ism, hindu, my father did it, my Mohammad did it, copulating with a goat was legal then, it is legal now, read Quran ignorant, read sharia laws, it is all there in black and white Hindu, secular s, denier of truth absolute, 360*, there is no line, go to the link below, goon

L0033076 Credit: Wellcome Library, London
      A man copulating with a goat or deer.
      Gouache 19th century
      Published: [S.l.], [18–?]
      Size: gouache 15.6 x 8.5 cm.
      Collection: Iconographic Collections
      Library reference no.: ICV No 51428 and External Reference 47694i
      Full Bibliographic Record: Link to Wellcome Library Catalogue

April 10, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
  19. raymundo dionicio

The owner should pass physical, psychological and social stress tests. enforced. War mode stress tests, too. This requires full training. Business are you hearing? Maybe Navy and Army training new revenue?

April 10, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
  20. Truthis

Where is his faith?

April 10, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • cindy

What is that supposed to mean?

April 10, 2013 at 6:08 pm |