home
RSS
April 18th, 2013

My Take: Godless in Boston mourn, too

Editor’s note: Greg M. Epstein is the Humanist chaplain at Harvard University and author of the New York Times best-seller "Good Without God." He directs the Humanist Community Project, a national think tank helping to study and build communities for the nonreligious.

By Greg M. Epstein, Special to CNN

Cambridge, Massachusetts (CNN) — After two days of holding back my own feelings to focus on the needs of a community in mourning, what finally split my heart in two was scrolling through the list of donations to the fund-raising page for Celeste and Sydney Corcoran, a mother and daughter among the tragically injured at the Boston Marathon.

Celeste, the mother, has volunteered for my congregation. She’s basically an aunt to a senior member of our staff. So I cried for the two-sidedness: A member of our community lost her legs below the knees, and nearly lost her daughter. And, in one day, nearly 4,000 people donated more than $250,000 to support them. They seemed to be saying, through their gifts, “Please do this for me too if anything should ever happen to me or my family.”

AC360: Mother lost legs, daughter nearly died in bombing

As a chaplain, I’m struggling to make sense of this tragedy just like any other member of the clergy. And like faith communities across the country, the thousands of people I work with are doing what needs to be done when tragedy strikes close to home. We’re offering one another comfort. We’re calling around to the point of exhaustion, trying to figure out who needs help and how we can provide it.

The only difference is, we are a community of atheists — a congregation of Humanists.

You’ve probably read the statistics: With 18% of the nation’s population now nonreligious, America is less religious today than ever before. This especially applies to young Americans, up to a third of whom now have no religion. That number may be closer to half on many of the college campuses throughout Boston, like the one where I work.

What you may not have noticed, however, is that in addition to the religiously unaffiliated, or “nones” as sociologists have taken to calling them, a new and very significant group of Americans has been emerging — the nonreligiously affiliated. Relatively quietly, many thousands of mostly young Americans who identify as atheists and agnostics have been coming together to form civically active, thoughtful secular community groups that now dot nearly our whole nation.

Sometimes you hear about the debates these groups hold with religious leaders. But while Richard Dawkins and the like are eloquent and controversial speakers on behalf of atheism, most such debates are actually organized by religious organizations. The vast majority of what Humanist and secular communities do is positive, uncontroversial and entirely American. We serve. We meet throughout the year. We help one another raise good kids. We celebrate life, and we grieve death.

So I don’t relish the opportunity — or the need — to say that right now, our community is grieving too, just like any other Boston-area congregation. Boston, in fact, is home to one of the biggest secular/Humanist/atheist/nonreligious communities in the world. (Sure, we don’t know what to call ourselves. But then again neither does the LGBT — or is it GLBT? — or LGBTQ? — community, and that hasn’t stopped them from thriving.) We meet every week. We’re getting ready to open up a large community center. We sponsor service programs where we invite interfaith groups to help us package thousands of meals for hungry kids. You can even join us this Sunday: We’ll be marking our losses together in a memorial gathering.

What is so disappointing to see people do, then, is blame the horrific and traumatizing events of this Monday on the godless, or on godlessness, as way too many on Twitter and elsewhere have been doing. As one young woman in our community said to me, “It’s hard enough to deal with senseless grief, but when people write things like 'Why do people have to be so godless to want to kill innocent people?' it makes me feel like I’m not safe either, like we’re being singled out for prejudice.”

Obviously when people say “I’ll pray for you” or “May God grant you strength,” they’re only expressing their own sincere convictions. But while not everyone holds those same beliefs, we all want to be acknowledged in a way that feels right to us.

And when political leaders like Gov. Deval Patrick or President Obama try to make sense of these moments by assembling interfaith services, it is admirable — far better for a politician to bring different religions together than to only recognize one religion’s view of loss as valid. But for goodness' sake, must the nonreligious continue to be excluded from such gatherings? I’ve seen Humanists knock on the door recently at the interfaith celebrations of political conventions, or after tragedies like Hurricane Sandy or Newtown. We wanted to help and were turned away. I hope this is where people realize: We are part of the community too. We care and want to offer our support just as much as anyone. We, too, are in shock and grief.

Secular people place our faith in the human ability to value life over death. We believe in committing ourselves to love and care and help as indiscriminately as possible, because that is what makes our lives worthwhile. We try our best, despite our doubt, to ensure that the good will that comes from tragedy will ultimately exceed the bad.

All that said, I don’t have a clue what Celeste’s beliefs are, and I don’t care. I just hope she and Sydney and everyone else injured get well. After all, would you believe for a second that every Christian pastor knows whether or not every visitor to his or her congregation truly believes in the Ascension? Nor should they. The point of a congregation, to me, is just to care about the people in it, and better yet, to help bring people together to care about one another. Our community is including everyone, religious or not, in our thoughts and hopes at this tough time. It would mean a lot to us if others do the same.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Uncategorized

soundoff (3,411 Responses)
  1. Senseless

My response to this article: a big "lol!"

April 19, 2013 at 9:13 am |
  2. Thoth

'Godless' people are always going to be excluded by "believers". The typical believer cannot process the notion that being morally sound, loving and caring can be accomplished without 'faith' in some religious creed. In their minds Atheists, and people of faiths other than their own are somehow devoid of the 'higher understanding' that they've achieved. We are painted as robots with no emotion (other than 'anger'); yet many atheists are humanists and care very much about the success of humanity – something threatened by religious conjecture.

April 19, 2013 at 9:09 am |
    • Saraswati

While certainly a lot of theists have no problem with moral atheists, I agree that a lot cannot swallow this notion. If a person believes him or her-self only morally constrained by their religion it is a real blow to the ego to accept that there are others out there who do not need religion to behave ethically. It is admitting that you are an inherently less moral person than others around you. But again, I don't think this is by any means all Christians – just a subset. Many Christians are happy to work and partner with non-believers and only believe that their faith enhances them.

April 19, 2013 at 9:13 am |
    • Thoth

@Sara – "Many Christians are happy to work and partner with non-believers and only believe that their faith enhances them."

I disagree. First of all, 'enchances' them how? They are enchanced by believing in creeds conjured up by men throughout history? Empathy exists without religion. Humans in general are social and sympathetic – no god required.

Second – no, most religious folks are quite stubbornly ignorant of anything beyond what they've grown up being told and view their religious ideology as paramount to morality. Hence their use of the terms "god fearing" "good christian" etc.... Look at the Boy Scouts of America – specifically denies atheists to join. As do many 'causes' as the author mentions. When someone tries to help out of the goodness of being human, but refuses to believe in dogma they are often rejected.

April 19, 2013 at 9:32 am |
    • Saraswati

@Thoth,

It's hard to say for sure given the lack of hard data. We have about 54 percent of American's willing to vote for an atheist:

Which would put about 50% (orvery slightly more) of theists in that camp (depending on other data you accept on counts). I interpret these as people who not only think atheists can be not only fairly moral but can have the qualifications to be president. But We don't know how that breakdown goes of religions among theists (Christians vs other theists or deists) or how US Christian differ from those in other parts of the world (a large proportion of the Christians I know are not in the US and atheists are much more easily elected in the UK, Italy or Australia).

So I may be wrong but am just going on the best information I have.

One difference in how we might count these folks could be an issue of how some Christians are looking at a difference between being moral and being "optimally moral". I would bet that many a Christian (maybe most) would argue something like "Sure an atheist can be moral, and may even get into heaven, but they aren't AS moral as a Christian." I would be including these folks in my numbers while you may not be.

April 19, 2013 at 9:47 am |
    • Saraswati

I think another twist is that many Christians would have no problem believing that someone who doesn't believe in god could be moral, but would automatically assume an "atheist" was immoral based on cultural associations with the term itself.

April 19, 2013 at 9:50 am |
  3. Marcy

We get it; you're atheist. You should not use this tragedy to boost your platform. (just as any religious/political group should
    not either) It's in bad taste.

April 19, 2013 at 9:06 am |
    • Saraswati

Excluding a group that was impacted by the tragedy from a national mourning process is tasteless.

April 19, 2013 at 9:14 am |
    • Doobs

Now go post your comment on the "My Take: Light will conquer darkness in Boston" piece as well, just to be fair. Just change the first line "We get it; you're christian, blah blah blah"

April 19, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
  4. Donnie the Lion

"If matter is the final reality and there's no higher authority we need to answer to, why love and be kind to your neighbor?" That is a fair question....the answer is, it is the right thing to do for the individual and for the larger social group. What is good for the larger social group is ultimately good for the individual.

One thing about an atheist: they will never kill another person due to religious extremism.

April 19, 2013 at 9:04 am |
    • notraitors

They already have. Look at the Third Reich and the Soviet Union. The Roman Empire also had a good track record of persecuting the newly-formed Christian church

April 19, 2013 at 9:12 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

What??? The Roman empire wasn't atheist – it had their pantheon on gods. Hitler was a Roman Catholic; Stalin used the machinery of the Russian Orthodox church.

April 19, 2013 at 9:24 am |
    • Bible Clown©

"Third Reich" Catholics and Lutherans. They painted crosses on their Panzer tanks and took along chaplains to bless them as they went about destroying God's enemies, the Jews. Nice try painting THAT as atheism.

April 19, 2013 at 9:53 am |
    • Doobs

@ notraitor

"Gott Mit Uns"

April 19, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
  5. Ray

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what we think. The only thing that matters is what is true. We don't define truth. It is what it is. God loves you and wants a relationship with you. That's truth according to the Bible.

April 19, 2013 at 9:02 am |
    • not my chair

i am not sure if this is a christian comment or not...

April 19, 2013 at 9:06 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

So, if it doesn't matter what I think, because your god loves me, and I think that your god story is a load of garbage, do I still get to go your heaven, notwithstanding my lack of belief?

April 19, 2013 at 9:11 am |
    • Thoth

Upon death one enters Duat where Anubis weighs the heart on a scale against the feather of Ma'at, the goddess of order, truth, and riighteousness. If it outweighed the feather of Ma'at, then you are more wicked than good and your heart is devoured by Ammut. You then die a second death and are completely annihilated from existence.

Truth for thousands of years longer than the Bible – according to the Ancient Egyptians.

April 19, 2013 at 9:18 am |
    • mk

But you see, what you THINK is that the bible is truth. Not everyone thinks that.

April 19, 2013 at 9:21 am |
    • Saraswati

@Thoth,

See "Maranatha"'s logic below. It's only true if people CURRENTLY believe it. You have to meet a threshold of millions in the current day. So if the bible is true we just diminish belief and then it won't be true. Reality is so nifty when determined on the beliefs of our neighbors!

April 19, 2013 at 9:25 am |
    • NClaw441

Attack– you posted: It doesn't matter what we think???? I find that to be a very troubling comment. It doesn't matter that I think it's fine to detonate bombs at the Boston Marathon, and because I think it's fine, I do it? That doesn't matter?
      ***
      Your comment reminds me of that joke about the baseball player and the umpire. The baseball player says to the ump, "What would you do if I called you an SOB?" The ump says, "I'd throw you out of the game." "What would you do if I just THOUGHT you were an SOB?" The ump says, "Nothing. You can think what you want." The player responds,"Then I think you're an SOB."......

April 19, 2013 at 9:34 am |
    • Thoth

@Sara – apologies – forgot about the statute of limitations for religious truths.... 8-}

April 19, 2013 at 9:38 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

But the Bible is truth according to what?

April 19, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
  6. Maranatha

@Greg – I've read Homer's works, both of them a couple of times. Great literary work! Really enjoy them.

But, we *ALL* know that the Illiad and Odyssey are works of fiction. No one today is following Homer and claiming that he is a prophet.

On the *other* hand, MILLIONS of people believe that the Bible is the Word of God, and MILLIONS of people have and are following Jesus Christ.

Your comparison is silly and disingenuous, and you know it.

But, may God open your hear to His love and your mind to His truth.

If you find room for Him, you will NEVER regret it.

Peace to you.

April 19, 2013 at 9:01 am |
    • not my chair

all hail the mighty Gandolf, may he protect us from the evil that is Souron. my question is why is your god the right god? why does religion keep having to change their view and explanations for the world?

April 19, 2013 at 9:13 am |
    • Matt

This is argument ad populum, nothing is true simply because lots of people believe it, even if it's MILLIONS of people.
      There is no reason to believe the Bible is any more truthful than the Illiad or Oddesey, at least those works of fiction were consitent with themselves. At points in time people really believed in Thor and Zeus, loads of people believed they were real, Jesus is simply another in a long line of mass distributed myths.

April 19, 2013 at 9:14 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Just because millions of people believe something doesn't make it true. Millions believe in Allah. Millions in Vishnu. So? Are they all right, by virtue of the fact that a lot of people believe in them? Give it enough time and EVERYONE will know that the Bible is a work fiction.

April 19, 2013 at 9:14 am |
    • Saraswati

And yet millions still believe the Mahabharata to be true...so it must be.

Can't follow the whole conversation though as the OP seems to have broken the thread Chad-style.

April 19, 2013 at 9:22 am |
    • Bible Clown©

"Your comparison is silly and disingenuous, and you know it." There are at least thousands if not millions who still believe in Zeus and Athena. It only takes one sincere pagan to demolish your argument. Maybe you should spend a lot of time sincerely reading everything you can find about Zeus? It could change your life. Once you let Zeus into your heart, you'll have, er, a Zeus in your heart? OR maybe there is about as much chance of you being convinced by a silly book about a thunder god as there is of ME BEING CONVINCED BY A SILLY BOOK ABOUT A THUNDER GOD. You are talking to grownups here, do you actually think we have never seriously considered these things?

April 19, 2013 at 10:07 am |
  7. Jim

This is a purely silly article. Of course atheists mourn during this time in Boston, they are humans as far as I remember.... What's the next info,ercial/article? "Jews Mourn in Boston?" "Muslims Mourn in Boston?" The premise of this article is infantile.

April 19, 2013 at 8:50 am |
    • Me

The point of the article was the people blaming the bombings on the "godless" ones. Being godless does not equate with being a bad human, to put this long article in very simple terms. The people who do these things are inhuman, and inhumane. They may actually have a god.

April 19, 2013 at 9:03 am |
    • Yup

Exactly. That's because they are simply using the tragedy as an excuse to promote atheism. There is no real story here.

April 19, 2013 at 9:03 am |
    • mbal

Did you even read the article?

April 19, 2013 at 9:12 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

The article is about how religious groups are dismissing the grief of the non-religious my excluding them from community endeavours.
      A group of sincere people seeking to lend a hand in a time of tragedy are being pushed out because they don't have faith in the supernatural.
      The article isn't about promoting atheism – it is about promoting inclusion.

April 19, 2013 at 9:17 am |
  8. Brandon Brown

It is absolutely deranged to me, the thought by secular humanists, that all humans should be proud of themselves. I'll never understand that way of thinking as long as I live.

April 19, 2013 at 8:47 am |
    • sybaris

If you are a christian it is easily understood why you would think that way. Christianity is a filthy perverted disease of the mind.

April 19, 2013 at 8:54 am |
    • Brandon Brown

Yeah but you're an atheist I'm assuming right? And your a secular humanist. If I'm a Christian, shouldn't I be proud of that? Since all humans should be proud of themselves?

April 19, 2013 at 8:55 am |
    • mk

That's because you've been taught that we're all horrible beings incapable of lasting a minute without being a "sinner" not worthy of our own name. The churches teach you that you're nothing but a bottom feeder that can only be forgiven by going to church. This is how they get you to return to their church, donate to their cause and keep you following blindly.

April 19, 2013 at 9:02 am |
    • Brandon Brown

No I believe I myself am a horrific sinner. Some of the stuff I've done in my past has been absolutely horrific and it would be a shame if there wasn't a hell for God to send me to. That's why it is breath taking that he would send his son to die in my stead.

The key to happiness is not to be proud of yourself, but to realize that you can't do anything a part from God's grace.

April 19, 2013 at 9:05 am |
    • jbar2506

I'm with you Brandon.

Shame, shame, shame, shame on them. Using this incredible tragedy as an opportunity to project their own agenda.
      What a disgusting piece of garbage they are……………

April 19, 2013 at 9:06 am |
    • not my chair

all people should be proud of themselves, if they can not be proud of themselves then their actions have not allowed it and the fault is on the individual. its sad to me that you need a higher power to judge you instead of judging yourself.

April 19, 2013 at 9:23 am |
    • Bible Clown©

" Some of the stuff I've done in my past has been absolutely horrific and it would be a shame if there wasn't a hell for God to send me to. " Turn yourself in to the police and serve your time. Or do you mean you've done horrific things like curse and watch cartoons and play a video game?

April 19, 2013 at 10:10 am |
    • Doobs

@ jbar2506

What about the article "My Take: Light will conquer darkness in Boston"? Did you post a complaint on that one?

Shame shame shame on the christian author of that piece for using this tragedy to promote the christian agenda. See how that works?

April 19, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
  9. Jdyoun01

If anything, us secular people moun deeper than someone who has deluded themselves into thinking a sky fairy has set up an amusement park in the clouds where you will be reunited with all your loved ones after death. When you die, that's it. No curtain call, no second chances, no take backs. That's the true beauty in life. It's vain and egotistical to assume that you have earned an eternity in paradise for 76 years of shuffling around in a fluid filled meat sack.

April 19, 2013 at 8:45 am |
    • Maranatha

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.

He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

Revelation 21:1-5

April 19, 2013 at 8:49 am |
    • Maranatha

Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.

No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.

The angel said to me, "These words are trustworthy and true. The Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, sent his angel to show his servants the things that must soon take place."

Revelation 22:1-6

April 19, 2013 at 8:51 am |
    • Science

And the old pope tossed out the angels last xmas.

April 19, 2013 at 8:55 am |
    • KLP

fluid filled meat-sack...?

April 19, 2013 at 8:59 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

@ KLP – kinda catchy, isn't it?

April 19, 2013 at 9:26 am |
    • Bible Clown©

" It's vain and egotistical to assume that you have earned an eternity in paradise for 76 years of shuffling around in a fluid filled meat sack."'
      Not really – we all DESERVE to live forever in perfect bodies, but we're not gonna get what we deserve. Putting up with this world really ought to qualify us for a reward at the end. But it's pretty unlikely.

April 19, 2013 at 11:36 am |
  10. Melanie

Mr. Epstein,
    What a great article! I, as an Atheist agree with you 100%. I can't say how many times I have discussion with people, and once I reveal that I am an Atheist, their demeanor changes immediately. I now am the "bad/evil/horrible" person. Suddenly they won't look me in the eye, and become totally uncomfortable. A real shame, because I am the same person they liked just a few minutes ago.

April 19, 2013 at 8:42 am |
    • WASP

@Melanie: you think that's bad i live in a jewish neighborhood in lower brooklyn, i had one crossing himself when he seen me walking his direction. XD
      fracking no manners.

April 19, 2013 at 8:44 am |
    • Science

Hey WASP ................here is one that i carry in my pocket at all times.................blows there minds !

The meteorites( chondrite) that magnets stick too........... no come back....................older than the fairy in the sky !

The look is priceless !!!

April 19, 2013 at 9:02 am |
    • Science

All that naitive iron ...........................= metal universe............just add water !

Star dust...................cool stuff !

April 19, 2013 at 9:07 am |
    • Doobs

@ WASP

You had a Jewish person cross themselves when they saw you? LOL! Good one.

April 19, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
  11. notraitors

Why mourn? If macro evolution is correct, then we're all just biological accidents. Nothing special about that.

April 19, 2013 at 8:41 am |
    • WASP

@NO: you are an ass. 🙂

April 19, 2013 at 8:42 am |
    • notraitors

When you have no answer, resort to name calling. How 2nd grade of you.

Now it's time to go back to the zoo with your monkey ancestors....

April 19, 2013 at 8:50 am |
    • sam stone

we are also social beings, and do not like to see others suffer

April 19, 2013 at 8:56 am |
    • WASP

@no: why should i treat you as anything more than you are for having such a heartless, ignorant statement?
      yes i mourn for those that are gone because they will NEVER COME BACK.
      why do you mourn? remember they aren't dead in religious terms, so they aren't gone forever.
      so you should be rejoicing they have returned to be with your GOD.

April 19, 2013 at 9:16 am |
    • Bible Clown©

"we're all just biological accidents" I had a mother AND a father, and I was planned. Maybe YOU were conceived in a car's back seat or something, but don't speak for the rest of us. People are unique, no two alike ever, and every man's death diminishes me. So never send to ask for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

April 19, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
  12. Ima Pseudonym

The wake of a tragedy seems like a poor time for ideological flag-waving. I don't care what your beliefs are. I don't care what your beliefs aren't. What you think isn't what's important right now. The victims and the culprits are.

If you donated money to charity for the wounded, then of course that's good. But I hope you didn't just do it for a pat on the head. Atheists and the Faithful alike need to get over themselves.

April 19, 2013 at 8:39 am |
  13. KLP

Why is it so hard for theists to give "nones" the same courtesy, if not support, when it comes to the social commentary. Your beliefs suggest an all powerful authority. Why must so many among your faith then be so insecure when realizing you cannot convince everyone of your dream of a celestial arbiter and savior? Monotheistic history suggests every living thing on this planat has much to fear from organized, monotheistic dogma. Still the labeling of we "nones" seems laced with fear or outright hatred...Please, read your book again and be kind to your neighbors, judge not others, etc...

April 19, 2013 at 8:33 am |
    • Science

It would be NICE......... but
      Maybe they should not have created the wedge !!!
      The wedge strategy is a political and social action plan authored by the Discovery Insti-tute, the hub of the intelligent design movement. The strategy was put forth in a Discovery Insti-tute manifesto known as the Wedge Docu-ment,[1] which describes a broad social, political, and academic agenda whose ultimate goal is to defeat materialism, naturalism, evolution, and "reverse the stifling materialist world view and replace it with a science consonant with Christian and theistic
      convictions.

April 19, 2013 at 8:44 am |
    • Maranatha

I don't think I am being unkind when I simply do what my Lord and Savior has asked me to do - and that is share the Gospel with people who cross my path. After all, to NOT warn people of impending judgment and hell would be the hateful thing to do. Now that I and others this morning have pointed you to Jesus, it is up to YOU to decide whether you will look into His claims further, or simply reject them as nonsense. I have done my duty to you – I pray you find Life. I know that many will reject these words – but others who are reading may find Life in them. Maranatha!

April 19, 2013 at 8:45 am |
    • Maranatha

Then He [Jesus] taught them many things by parables, and said to them in His teaching:

"Listen! Behold, a sower went out to sow.

And it happened, as he sowed, that some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds of the air came and devoured it.

Some fell on stony ground, where it did not have much earth; and immediately it sprang up because it had no depth of earth.
      But when the sun was up it was scorched, and because it had no root it withered away.

And some seed fell among thorns; and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no crop.

But other seed fell on good ground and yielded a crop that sprang up, increased and produced: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred."

And He said to them, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear!"

Mark 4:2-9

April 19, 2013 at 8:46 am |
    • notraitors

2 questions:

Why do the "nones" have such a problem with public displays of nativity scenes and crosses? Are you being forced to believe anything by them being there?

April 19, 2013 at 8:47 am |
    • sam stone

marantha: biblical quotes are only valid to those who accept the supposed authority of the bible. if you want to witness to others, fine, but do not act all offended and opporessed when the object of your preaching tells you to fvck off

April 19, 2013 at 8:58 am |
    • Bible Clown©

"what my Lord and Savior has asked me to do – and that is share the Gospel with people who cross my path" He asked you to stand ready to witness, not chase people down the street waving pamphlets.

April 19, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
    • Bible Clown©

"They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose. They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they dam'-well choose. As in the thronged and the lighted ways, so in the dark
      and the desert they stand, Wary and watchful all their days that their brethren's day may be long in the land.
      Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, not as a witness to any creed, But simple service simply given to his own kind in their common need."

April 19, 2013 at 1:06 pm |
  14. Matt

Natasha, I'd like to direct you to Patton Oswalts peice regarding the Boston bombings:

"I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will.""

So you see Natasha, there is nothing nonsensical about that statement. Goodness is not a trait endowed upon us by some divine sky ghost only to those who bow down to him, it's inherent in all of us, it is evil that is the exception.

April 19, 2013 at 8:30 am |
  15. Bruce

Atheists choose to exclude themselves from interfaith gatherings by their non-belief in God. By definition, "
    inter-faith" means "between faiths", therefore if you have no faith, you have nothing in common to share with those who do. Console yourselves among yourselves as you choose to eschew the Judeo-Christian principles this Country was founded on.
    All of mankind counts time by the birth of Jesus. All of recorded history is broken up into two parts "B.C" (Before Christ) and A.D. (Anno Domini).

April 19, 2013 at 8:28 am |
    • Saraswati

Just to clarify, Bruce, are you a) under the impression that Buddhists, Hindus and other non-Christians are generally excluded from interfaith events? b) arguing that they should be?

April 19, 2013 at 8:30 am |
    • WASP

@BRUCE: "Judeo-Christian principles this Country was founded on."
      1) the founding fathers weren't christian, you were lied to about them being christian.
      2) seeing they are the founding fathers they could have set up a monarchy, yet decided not to, why?
      3) if the founding fathers were christians, then why don't we have a national religion like england?

BC/AD:
      The term B.C. is used by nearly everyone in the United States to mean dates in the Julian Calendar before the birth of Christ, or at least before the date once thought to be that of Christ's birth (the year 0). The abbreviation refers to "Before Christ" and although was believed to have been first used by the Venerable Bede, that genius Anglo Saxon monk, dates to at least the 6th century.

It wasn't until the 19th century when the birth of archaeological science made the term a necessity; and in general the term is meant to refer to "before the Roman period". Beginning with the year 1, the Julian calendar refers to AD, which see. Some scholars prefer to use the term "BCE" rather than BC, which has a slightly different (but somewhat more defensible) meaning; or BP, which avoids the whole silly problem, but adds another layer of confusion.

LINK: http://archaeology.about.com/od/bterms/g/bc.htm

April 19, 2013 at 8:41 am |
    • KLP

Oh Bruce, this nation was founded on so much more than religion. All many wanted was freedom FROM religion and all the nefarious ties it required to retain and grow its authority. Why do the "faithful" fear so many and so often? Do remember that the only reason the world marks time (calendar) is through the spilling of much "non-believer" blood at the hands of powerful clergy-slash-state authority and the age old tenet that to the victor go the spoils and the edit of history. I suspect that your oversight is innocent ignorance and not "blasphemous" support for the deaths of innocent millions.

April 19, 2013 at 8:42 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Bruce
      The Solar Hijri calendar is the official calendar in Iran and Afghanistan. The persian caldendar is one of the longest chronological records in human history.
      According to the Hebrew calendar, it is theyear 5773.
      The Chinese calendar is still in use.

Saying the whole world uses the Gregorian calendar is like saying the whole world uses the metric system.
      Almost true, but not quite....

April 19, 2013 at 8:44 am |
    • mk

Why do you have to believe in a god to come together and say some words and grieve together? Why should there be requirements for coming together as human beings? This separation of ceremonies that you suggest is what is explicitly wrong with religions...they separate us.

April 19, 2013 at 8:48 am |
    • Bible Clown©

"All of mankind counts time by the birth of Jesus. " Actually, that's not true at all. Why bother to lie about a thing like that?

April 19, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
    • Doobs

So much fail in one post.

April 19, 2013 at 1:26 pm |
  16. Maranatha

@Truth Prevails 🙂 - there is plenty of evidence for the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Our faith is not a 'blind faith' that so many people misunderstand. Our faith has been passed down to us through the written Word of God – and confirmed by the Holy Spirit Himself, Who is given to us when we turn from our own ideas (and 'science' as god) and trust in Jesus' atonement for our sins. There is plenty of evidence - you just can't see it yet. @Bails – keep speaking His truth in Love. You will be persecuted for it (as is shown here – though only a mild rebuke today), but you already know that, as our Lord has told us such. Grace and peace to you - this day! Maranatha!

April 19, 2013 at 8:21 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Plenty of evidence – you just can't see it yet? Then it's not evidence

April 19, 2013 at 8:26 am |
    • Austin

The Work of the Holy Spirit

26 “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me.

April 19, 2013 at 8:28 am |
    • Austin

evidence, proof. Personal

if it were the parting of the sea, my friend Magic Underwear, then it would be public proof. But now days it is personal,through a personal relationship. The Holy Spirit is being revealed.

April 19, 2013 at 8:30 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

@ Austin:

Ghostbusters 12:14 – Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

You quoted from a book. So what?

April 19, 2013 at 8:31 am |
    • Paul

I'm familiar with all the "evidences" of Jesus. The Gospels are eyewitness accounts. But they are not. There is secular evidence of Jesus' existence such as Josephus. The Testamonium is a Christian forgery. The apostles died for their beliefs. This is Christian tradition without any evidence. There are tons of manuscripts. Yes and no, only a relative few date within a few hundred years of Christianity. And the fact that there are lots of manuscripts later only shows it was a popular religion and there are tons of manuscripts of the Koran too. All the "evidences" your church and your apologists hand you are pure nonsense to placate the gullible. This includes you.

April 19, 2013 at 8:32 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Maranatha
      Faith, by definition, is belief in a prospect despite the lack of evidence.
      It is the willing suspension of critical thinking in order to accept that which cannot be proven.
      If there is incontrovertible evidence in favour of a given proposition, faith is no longer required.

And given that the Christian ethos and culture has dominated American society for hundreds of years, I hope you'll forgive those of us who don't believe the "persecuted minority" crocodile tears.

April 19, 2013 at 8:33 am |
    • Maranatha

@Attack – as Jesus Himself said:

"If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own."
      John 7:16-17

Scientific method – right here. You just refuse to run the experiment. And as such, you are really being foolish.

April 19, 2013 at 8:33 am |
    • Jeff

Can you show that God actually wrote the words? My understanding is it was mortal man that wrote the words and claimed them to be God's.

Sorry, but we have heard that story before. Men once claimed to know the will of the gods and now we treat those as myth. Would you trust a man you don't know with your bank account? I know i won't. But funny that I shouldn't trust a man with my bank account and yet I should trust men I don't know with my soul.

If the written word of God was written by God and can be validated as such think you will have a point. But if it was written by man then I just can't buy in. I mean man can't even write an article on a news website without trying to push an agenda.

April 19, 2013 at 8:33 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

@ Austin – Proof. You keep using that word. i don not think it means what you think it means!

I have a personal relationship, known only to me, but based on my personal experience, that Zeus is the one true and only god, and that if you do not bow down before Zeus (and me, as his duly appointed representative on earth), when you die Zeus will torture you forever.

According to YOUR standard of proof, that is sufficient to prove the existence of Zeus. So let me ask you – do you now believe in Zeus? Because if it's good enough for YOUR god, it's good enough for MINE.

April 19, 2013 at 8:34 am |
    • Maranatha

Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

So they asked him, "What miraculous sign then will you give that we may see it and believe you? What will you do? Our forefathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written: 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.' "

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."

"Sir," they said, "from now on give us this bread."

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.

But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe.

John 6:29-36

April 19, 2013 at 8:35 am |
    • Maranatha

@Doc – I don't know where you got your definition of 'Faith' – probably some modern dictionary, or maybe even the Internet. But, here is my definition – from a writtten work that has survived the test of the ages - it was here long before you, and will be here long after you depart. Here is the True definition of Faith:

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
      Hebrews 11:1

'Substance' – not imaginary.

- i.e.: you can't see radio waves, but they exist. We now can detect them with instruments; just as Christians who are born again can perceive the Holy Spirit - through the 'instrument' of our own spirit. But only those spirits that have been quickened to live can commune with the Holy Spirit. Unless a man be born again, He cannot understand, or receive the things that are from the Spirit of God.

Blessings to you my friend. May God give you a heart of flesh, and a Spirit of Life and Love.

Grace.

April 19, 2013 at 8:39 am |
    • Dan

Maranatha, Fantastic posts!!! Shining light to those in darkness. God bless!

April 19, 2013 at 8:44 am |
    • Austin

The Testamonium is a Christian forgery. The apostles died for their beliefs.

No I hightly doubt that. One can experience revelation or the spirit and then turn around and still claim the bible is forged. That would be obstinate unbellief.

Your struggle with the name of Jesus is not your final decision. God can open your eyes and you should wonder about this and struggle with the jealousy of hearing others testify of God's presence.

April 19, 2013 at 8:46 am |
    • KLP

Just please be sure to give credit for ALL things to your "source", not just the positive, happy outcomes or the suffering of only your "opposition". Once you apply this principle, some of your standards will appear much different in the light of fact.

April 19, 2013 at 8:48 am |
    • Science

Sounds like a chad is that you chad ?

April 19, 2013 at 8:49 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I have an old radio set, uses tubes but still works. Can it be born again so that it can detect the Holy Spirit? Any other sort of instrument? Or must I plug myself in to detect it? If I am to be both observer and participant I would be very susceptible to self-deception and we couldn't have that in the important work of detecting the Holy Spirit.

April 19, 2013 at 8:51 am |
    • Maranatha

@Dan – thanks for the encouragement - and many blessings to you, my brother. See you in the Real Life, around the Throne! Shalom!

April 19, 2013 at 8:54 am |
    • Austin

KPL, that is a type of exploitation upon God to blame God for the consequences of sin and depravity.

This world is fallen, and it is not God's fault. God is holy . God turns his back on sin and gives us the path to reconciliation.

If it were not for the allowing of sin, Adam would have died. now these consequences are part of life. God did not sin.

God allows you to sin and live. such is life in this world. Depravity, the absence ot the spirit of conviction, is the habitiual sin and a road that leads to death.

The bombs are evidence of sin and of God,.

April 19, 2013 at 8:54 am |
    • Austin

Plug yourself in doc. You are the receiver. Praise God.

April 19, 2013 at 8:56 am |
    • Greg

@Maranatha from a writtten work that has survived the test of the ages

So is the Illliad and the Odyssey, thus proving Attack's god Zeus, right? So is the Epic of Gilgamesh from where the Noah flood story in the Bible was taken. So are dozens of other mythological/religious works. That's not evidence of anything.

April 19, 2013 at 8:57 am |
    • Maranatha

@Tom Tom – I guess you'll never know (until it's too late) unless you actually do some real investigating yourself. Look up 'Josh McDowell' and see what I am talking about. Or, just go back to sleep and play. But, I hope you do some real searching, in earnest. He *is* there – and you *will* find Him if you truly seek Him.

It took me 41 years to wake up to that Truth – and thank God that He did finally wake me up.

I pray He does the same for you.

Grace & Peace in the Name of Jesus.

April 19, 2013 at 8:57 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Marantha
      Scientology teaches that one cannot achieve spiritual clarity until one learns to see the substance of normally undetectable Thetans and then begin to get rid of them.
      High level Scientologists are known as "Operating Thetans".
      Their faith is just as solid as yours. They as.sert that they've plenty of evidence and will give personal testimony as to the awakening they experience once becoming "Clear".

Practi.tioners of Reiki manipulate the energy that permeates us all, realligning and redirecting said energy through the force of their will. If you accept that auras and chakras are substantive qualities of life, you will see them too and be able to manipulate them. It is not too far off from Christian Science, a discipline that claims that anyone can channel Christ's healing powers if they just follow Mary Baker Eddy's instructions.
      Her books are literally filled with first hand testimony of her magic healing powers.

Any proposition that relies on faith can and will be twisted by unscrupulous individuals for their own gain. Its just far too easy to manipulate those who are willing to suspend critical thinking and accept something without evidence.

"Some people have faith in the craziest things.
      They follow outdated conventions that were recorded.
      But most of it, to me, all sounds insane.

Maybe it's all you need to get you through the night.
      Maybe you've seen the light.
      But you know that popular consensus doesn't make it right."

– Dr. Greg Graffin

April 19, 2013 at 9:00 am |
    • Austin

Maranatha,

That made my day!

April 19, 2013 at 9:02 am |
    • not my chair

i dont think the word evidence means what you think it does

April 19, 2013 at 9:03 am |
    • sam stone

"Our faith has been passed down to us through the written Word of God"

The edited, translated hearsay of iron age man

" and confirmed by the Holy Spirit Himself"

look up "confirmation bias" and get back to us

"Who is given to us when we turn from our own ideas (and 'science' as god) and trust in Jesus' atonement for our sins."

What, other than the bible, makes you believe man is "sinful"?

"There is plenty of evidence – you just can't see it yet."

Delusional people say that all the time....."my teapot talked to me, but he won't talk to you"

April 19, 2013 at 9:04 am |
    • WASP

@maranatha: i have a favorite passage as well from your "holy book".
      know this one from growing up a southern baptist.
      1 TIMOTHY 2:12
      "But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."

seeing this book has survived the ages; get back in the kitchen woman and know your place. 🙂

April 19, 2013 at 9:06 am |
    • WASP

@maranatha: " as Jesus Himself said"
      so you were there to hear him speak those words? no? then you can't TRULY state that as fact now can you.
      it is not even second hand knowledge; it's umpteen times removed knowledge which means it can not be trusted nor admitted in court as evidence if this was a court trial.

April 19, 2013 at 9:09 am |
    • watchfuliiiii

Wow you had two glasses of kool aid. Kings and lords? sound much like the system of government that was around while People were writing the bible. If written now you might be worshipping a president or prime minister of the universe. please quote some more of your biblical fantasy quotes as your argument. I know its scary but your on your own. Too bad you have been taught to fear the unknown your whole life.

April 19, 2013 at 9:09 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

I am not implying that there is no value to the message of Jesus Christ.
      People are not good to one another by default. Effective cooperation is a learned skill and the successful religions recognize this. Christianity reveals this truth about ourselves most poignantly in the character of Jesus Christ. His message is one of peace, charity, modesty and forgiveness – the traits most important to develop when living in a society.
      I believe that the vast majority of Christians lose sight of this core principle and get lost in sectarian dogma, arguing mythological minutiae.
      In the end, the definition of Christian is to live your life in the image of Jesus Christ. Faith in miracles, divinity, resurrections, and other fantastical flourishes isn't required to live a life of pacifism, charity and humility.

April 19, 2013 at 9:11 am |
    • Austin

the miracles are required to validate any shred of Jesus Christ or the Bible. There is no point in a lying mechanical self development. What a farce that would be. Especially when it comes to the controversial parts of the bible and the rigorous moral code. Throw it out if He is not risen from the grave. do it for the Cannanites , get rid of it if He is not risen.

He is risen. I have experienced supernatural communication of the Holy Spirit. The spiritual power is God, and He can coordinate absolutely anything. He lets bombs go off, yet He ministers to the individual. we do not understand His ways.

His ways are above every inkling of the human imagination. And Evil , sin that leads to death, will come to a screeching halt.

The name of Jesus will be exalted. His Name is above all names.

The Holy Spirit is being revealed on the tablet of man's heart.

April 19, 2013 at 10:14 am |
    • Bible Clown©

"But now days it is personal,through a personal relationship. The Holy Spirit is being revealed." Really? Because all through the Bible, God and His ministers and emissaries are pretty bold and proud of themselves. But now you say God has come down in the world and just whispers in your ears at night? Sure that's God and not a talking snake?

April 19, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
    • WASP

@bible: "Sure that's God and not a talking snake?"
      ROFLMFAO! XD
      but seriously that is a great point. how can any christian that claims to "hear god,jesus, holy spirit know 100% that it isn't some other "noncorporal thing" or just their own insanity talking to them?
      answer they don't that's what makes it so funny.

April 19, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
    • Bible Clown©

" Look up 'Josh McDowell' and see what I am talking about." I once met Josh. "Fanatic" is the word that sprang to mind. I though immediately of the priests who ran the Inquisition, which is a very different vibe than what I expected from one of the founders of Campus Crusade for Christ. I perceived him as a cold power broker on his way to the top, and not someone you want noticing you. You could hang out with Scott Ross all day and not feel oppressed or threatened; I didn't want to be in the room with Josh. Man, I hadn't thought about that in years.

April 19, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
  17. peach

Godless There is no god you idiots

April 19, 2013 at 8:19 am |
    • TG

It is not surprising that so many are on the "bandwagon" of saying that "there is no god". It has become the accepted "norm" in many places. This is because most find it the easiest path, with no accountability toward a "higher power". These have failed to seriously examine the evidence.

As an ancient prophet of the Bible wrote: "The wicked one according to his superciliousness makes no search; All his ideas are: "There is no God."(Psalms 10:4, New World Translation) The word "superciliousness" comes from the Hebrew gobahh 'aph that literally means "the height of the nose". Hence, many never give any in-depth or serious consideration to the evidence (that is everywhere) that their is a Supreme Designer, never looking past their noses, but just quickly rule this out because it takes effort, mental effort, to establish that God does exist.

For example, on the molecular level, we are made up of proteins. What are the odds of a single protein coming into existence at random ? 10 followed by 113 zeroes. Mathematicians has said that anything above 10 followed by 50 zeroes is impossible. Yet the ante or stakes are raised when one considers that a cell has some 2,000 proteins that serve as enzymes. Now what are the odds ? 10 followed by 40, 000 zeroes. A noted English astronomer Sir Fred Hoyle (1915-2001) once said that this is "about the same as the chance of throwing an uninterrupted sequence of 50,000 sixes with unbiased dice."

Hence, the odds are stacked against life originating by chance (much less the way the precise arrangement of the earth), but are shown that only a Supreme Designer could have created the universe and all life. The Bible identifies him as Jehovah.(Ps 83:18)

April 19, 2013 at 9:19 am |
    • Bible Clown©

"so many are on the "bandwagon" of saying that "there is no god"." What a shock. You mean the Bible actually warns that people will find the Bible unbelievable? Why, that just HAS to be the work of a Supreme Being. Who else could have predicted the future so well? It's like a story for small children, talking animals and all.

April 19, 2013 at 1:16 pm |
  18. Disgusting

Way to make this about you and your agenda. Unbelieveable. Truly disgusting, abhorrent behavior. Shame on you and especially shame on CNN, although I guess we shouldn’t be surprised. CNN is nothing more than an agenda-pushing organization under the guise of news. But you would think that people would be able to rise above their self-centeredness and agendas when dealing with a tragedy like this. Guess not.

April 19, 2013 at 8:19 am |
    • Saraswati

Yes, the organizing body should have risen above its agendas and welcomed representatives from all groups who had suffered loss.

April 19, 2013 at 8:32 am |
    • Doobs

You must have missed this "My Take: Light will conquer darkness in Boston"

Are you going to go and complain about the disgusting, abhorrent minister who promoted the christian agenda in that article? No? Then STFU.

April 19, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
  19. Natasha

'Secular people place our faith in the human ability to value life over death." How can you make this nonsensical statement in the face of such an blatant example of humanity's inherent lack of value of life over death? You make no sense. Sure, there are lots of basically good people out there, but potential for evil resides in each and every one of us.

April 19, 2013 at 8:09 am |
    • Pete

And you think that believing in some god helps stop religious people from hurting others? My experience is that it actually prompts them to.

April 19, 2013 at 8:26 am |
  20. Bails

ok. you win. i won't pray for you. But I love you, just as God loves you. I hope you come to accept His love before you stand before Him one day.

April 19, 2013 at 8:04 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

Funny and very typical christard comment. Saying that sort of thing is futile when you don't have evidence and we know that. You may not care that what you believe is true but we like to base what we believe off of evidence. You may not have understood what they tried to teach you in Grade 5 science class but not all of us failed that class. You're on the wrong side of history when it comes to your belief, more and more Atheists are coming out every day because people no longer fear your imaginary friend.

April 19, 2013 at 8:11 am |
    • Ramsey

How very condescending of you. We hope you and your imaginary friend have a super weekend.

April 19, 2013 at 8:11 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

@ Balls – so you know the mind of god? You actually claim knowledge of the mind of an omniscient, omnipotent, limitless, eternal being that created the universe? You KNOW what that being thinks?

Well, I give you credit – it is a ballsy thing to state. Arrogant beyond belief, but ballsy.

April 19, 2013 at 8:17 am |
    • Maranatha

to @Attack – again you are showing your ignorance. @Bails is simply standing on the eternal Word of God, to wit:

"The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment:

"For who has known the mind of the Lord
      that he may instruct him?"

But we have the mind of Christ.'

1 Corinthians 2:14-16

April 19, 2013 at 8:24 am |
    • Maranatha

@Ramsey – and YOUR statement is NOT condescending? LOL – I have to laugh because you atheists are so blind. But, I also weep for I know where you are headed (unless repentance is found). May the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ bless you this day - even though you don't believe in Him yet. Someday, you will. May you come to know Him and love Him before your last breath in *this* world. Maranatha, Shalom.

April 19, 2013 at 8:27 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

@ Maranatha – the eternal word of god? Like from the bible? Like from Leviticus? Rabbits chew their cud? Bats are birds? Insects go about on all fours? That eternal word?

The "eternal" word that was written by people, translated and retranslated by people?

THAT eternal word?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

April 19, 2013 at 8:28 am |
    • Bible Clown©

Sacrifice a sheep for us. It's in the Bible, you know. Perfectly normal thing to do.

April 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm |