home
RSS
April 18th, 2013

My Take: Godless in Boston mourn, too

Editor’s note: Greg M. Epstein is the Humanist chaplain at Harvard University and author of the New York Times best-seller "Good Without God." He directs the Humanist Community Project, a national think tank helping to study and build communities for the nonreligious.

By Greg M. Epstein, Special to CNN

Cambridge, Massachusetts (CNN) — After two days of holding back my own feelings to focus on the needs of a community in mourning, what finally split my heart in two was scrolling through the list of donations to the fund-raising page for Celeste and Sydney Corcoran, a mother and daughter among the tragically injured at the Boston Marathon.

Celeste, the mother, has volunteered for my congregation. She’s basically an aunt to a senior member of our staff. So I cried for the two-sidedness: A member of our community lost her legs below the knees, and nearly lost her daughter. And, in one day, nearly 4,000 people donated more than $250,000 to support them. They seemed to be saying, through their gifts, “Please do this for me too if anything should ever happen to me or my family.”

AC360: Mother lost legs, daughter nearly died in bombing

As a chaplain, I’m struggling to make sense of this tragedy just like any other member of the clergy. And like faith communities across the country, the thousands of people I work with are doing what needs to be done when tragedy strikes close to home. We’re offering one another comfort. We’re calling around to the point of exhaustion, trying to figure out who needs help and how we can provide it.

The only difference is, we are a community of atheists — a congregation of Humanists.

You’ve probably read the statistics: With 18% of the nation’s population now nonreligious, America is less religious today than ever before. This especially applies to young Americans, up to a third of whom now have no religion. That number may be closer to half on many of the college campuses throughout Boston, like the one where I work.

What you may not have noticed, however, is that in addition to the religiously unaffiliated, or “nones” as sociologists have taken to calling them, a new and very significant group of Americans has been emerging — the nonreligiously affiliated. Relatively quietly, many thousands of mostly young Americans who identify as atheists and agnostics have been coming together to form civically active, thoughtful secular community groups that now dot nearly our whole nation.

Sometimes you hear about the debates these groups hold with religious leaders. But while Richard Dawkins and the like are eloquent and controversial speakers on behalf of atheism, most such debates are actually organized by religious organizations. The vast majority of what Humanist and secular communities do is positive, uncontroversial and entirely American. We serve. We meet throughout the year. We help one another raise good kids. We celebrate life, and we grieve death.

So I don’t relish the opportunity — or the need — to say that right now, our community is grieving too, just like any other Boston-area congregation. Boston, in fact, is home to one of the biggest secular/Humanist/atheist/nonreligious communities in the world. (Sure, we don’t know what to call ourselves. But then again neither does the LGBT — or is it GLBT? — or LGBTQ? — community, and that hasn’t stopped them from thriving.) We meet every week. We’re getting ready to open up a large community center. We sponsor service programs where we invite interfaith groups to help us package thousands of meals for hungry kids. You can even join us this Sunday: We’ll be marking our losses together in a memorial gathering.

What is so disappointing to see people do, then, is blame the horrific and traumatizing events of this Monday on the godless, or on godlessness, as way too many on Twitter and elsewhere have been doing. As one young woman in our community said to me, “It’s hard enough to deal with senseless grief, but when people write things like 'Why do people have to be so godless to want to kill innocent people?' it makes me feel like I’m not safe either, like we’re being singled out for prejudice.”

Obviously when people say “I’ll pray for you” or “May God grant you strength,” they’re only expressing their own sincere convictions. But while not everyone holds those same beliefs, we all want to be acknowledged in a way that feels right to us.

And when political leaders like Gov. Deval Patrick or President Obama try to make sense of these moments by assembling interfaith services, it is admirable — far better for a politician to bring different religions together than to only recognize one religion’s view of loss as valid. But for goodness' sake, must the nonreligious continue to be excluded from such gatherings? I’ve seen Humanists knock on the door recently at the interfaith celebrations of political conventions, or after tragedies like Hurricane Sandy or Newtown. We wanted to help and were turned away. I hope this is where people realize: We are part of the community too. We care and want to offer our support just as much as anyone. We, too, are in shock and grief.

Secular people place our faith in the human ability to value life over death. We believe in committing ourselves to love and care and help as indiscriminately as possible, because that is what makes our lives worthwhile. We try our best, despite our doubt, to ensure that the good will that comes from tragedy will ultimately exceed the bad.

All that said, I don’t have a clue what Celeste’s beliefs are, and I don’t care. I just hope she and Sydney and everyone else injured get well. After all, would you believe for a second that every Christian pastor knows whether or not every visitor to his or her congregation truly believes in the Ascension? Nor should they. The point of a congregation, to me, is just to care about the people in it, and better yet, to help bring people together to care about one another. Our community is including everyone, religious or not, in our thoughts and hopes at this tough time. It would mean a lot to us if others do the same.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Uncategorized

soundoff (3,411 Responses)
  1. The real Tom

"How do you choose to define murder? Is your definition the only intelligent way to define it? Is there any reasonable room for doubt?"

I don't "choose to define murder." This nation has laws that define it. No need for some fairy or any bible.

Of course there's "room for doubt." That's the difference between idiot like you and reasonable people.

April 19, 2013 at 10:14 pm |
  2. Observer

A good example of murder is when God TORTUROUSLY KILLED EVERY pregnant woman, child, baby, and fetus on the face of the earth.

April 19, 2013 at 10:11 pm |
  3. faith

"Christians stood out because they created a “miniature welfare state" to help the less fortunate, Stark says. They took in infant girls routinely left for dead by their parents. They risked their lives to tend the sick when plagues hit and others fled in terror. They gave positions of leadership to women when many women had no rights, and girls as young as 12 were often married off to middle-aged men..." r stark

April 19, 2013 at 10:06 pm |
    • faith

How did the preaching of a peasant carpenter from Galilee spark a movement that would grow to include over two billion followers? Who listened to this "good news," and who ignored it? Where did Christianity spread, and how?

April 19, 2013 at 10:12 pm |
    • faith

More than 40 percent of the people on earth today are Christians, and their number is growing more rapidly than that of any other major faith.

April 19, 2013 at 10:16 pm |
    • The real Tom

Wow. When you are talking to yourself, you need help. Get some.

April 19, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
    • HotAirAce

The dead jew zombie death cult aka christianity is only growing because of third world countries whose populations are reproducing like rabbits.

April 19, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
    • Austin

God told Adam to populate the earth. We are supposed to worship God and produce faithful offspring.

April 19, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
    • The real Tom

Austin, when are you going to produce any offspring?

On second thought, get a vasectomy. NOW.

April 19, 2013 at 10:39 pm |
    • Atheist

Actually, the largest gains have been in the secular categories, all of which have consistently doubled every 18 years. Islam is way outgrowing Christianity, which is growing less that the rate of population growth.

April 19, 2013 at 10:40 pm |
    • faith

The so-called Scientific Revolution of the sixteenth century has been misinterpreted by those wishing to assert an inherent conflict between religion and science. Some wonderful things were achieved in this era, but they were not produced by an eruption of secular thinking. Rather, these achievements were the culmination of many centuries of systematic progress by medieval Scholastics, sustained by that uniquely Christian twelfth-century invention, the university. Not only were science and religion compatible, they were inseparable–the rise of science was achieved by deeply religious Christian scholars. (Random House Trade Paperbacks ed., 2005, p. 12.)

April 19, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
    • The real Tom

"Random House Trade Paperbacks ed., 2005, p. 12.)"

BWAH! Haha ahhhahaa!

April 19, 2013 at 10:43 pm |
    • Observer

faith,

There wasn't ONE new scientific revelation in the Bible. It could have mentioned the existence of germs, for instance, or the fact that the earth wasn't the center of the universe.

Nope. Instead we got the mind-numbing nonsense of Noah's ark which seemed to disobey most known laws of science.

April 19, 2013 at 10:49 pm |
    • faith

"Kepler studied to become a Lutheran pastor until Maestlin decided that he would make a better maths teacher and packed him off to Graz. All of his life he remained deeply religious and all of his scientific work was characterised by a very strong Christian metaphysics."

"Pascal was a Jansenist" j s wilkin

April 19, 2013 at 10:53 pm |
    • Righteo

That is the funniest fumbled citation I have ever seen.

April 19, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
    • faith

The Christian image of God is that of a rational being who believes in human progress, more fully revealing himself as humans gain the capacity to better understand. Moreover, because God is a rational being and the universe is his personal creation, it necessarily has a rational, lawful, stable structure, awaiting increased human comprehension. This was the key to many intellectual undertakings, among them the rise of science. (Stark, p. 12.)
      rodney stark (1934-) Professor of Sociology and Comparative Religion, University of Washington. President, Association for the Sociology of Religion, 1983; ASA Sociology of Religion Section, 1997.

Having begun his life's work as a journalist working for the Oakland Tribune from 1959 to 1961, Stark entered graduate school at the University of California, Berkeley, in 1961 and earned his M.A. (1965) and Ph.D. (1971) there. He has twice received the Distinguished Book Award from the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion (SSSR), in 1986 for The Future of Religion: Secularization, Revival, and Cult Formation (with William Sims Bainbridge, University of California Press 1985) and in 1993 for The Churching of America 1776-1990 (with Roger Finke, Rutgers University Press 1992).

April 19, 2013 at 11:00 pm |
    • Observer

"The Christian image of God is that of a rational being "

Yep, like supporting slavery and discrimination against women and the handicapped.

April 19, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
    • Righteo

Now we're getting the whole dust jacket! Bwa! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

April 19, 2013 at 11:03 pm |
    • The real Tom

Righteo says: "That is the funniest fumbled citation I have ever seen."

That's because "faith" is the most brain-dead azzhole poster to have ever cited anything on this planet or any other.

April 19, 2013 at 11:59 pm |
    • Akira

"Old Testament Israel was commanded not to have any poor people, as in the should be taken care of. They were a priestly nation."

Oh, wow. Sounds Socialist to me...don't let lol?? know...her head will explode at the injustice of it all...

April 20, 2013 at 12:00 am |
  4. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Here's another:

for days unnumbered
    poor chad quotes 'the empty tomb'
    so tediously

April 19, 2013 at 9:58 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Wrong spot for the Belief Blog Haiku contest.

April 19, 2013 at 9:59 pm |
    • Righteo

Where is the right spot? I wanna play!

Moron-a-thon Chad
      Excellence in feculence
      Disingenuous

April 19, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
    • Righteo

Roll on, flat tire truck
      For we have kitties to splat
      And drive-throughs to crash

April 19, 2013 at 11:00 pm |
    • Righteo

God's hair on the sun
      Locked-in triangle of days
      No brain, no headache

April 19, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Dead cat in the road
      I had a dream so it's true
      Jesus is real

April 19, 2013 at 11:37 pm |
    • Akira

Sleeping in jail cell
      Dreams about above ground pools
      Revelation nine

April 20, 2013 at 12:13 am |

Austin
      Austin
      Your comment is awaiting moderation.
      Austin
      @ Mass D
      "By the way, there are many people who keep dream journals, but only psychopaths try to decipher them as divine inspiration."

i am going through this again...
      all of the dreams I had, that I discern were visioins, were because I was having dreams that were LEADING what my reality and awake life was about to actually present to me. Did I know when i wrote them down, or expect, for these dreams to be doing such a thing? there were a few where I knew that I could expect something. and they did hit .

two nights in a row, and a little space between the third dream,

#1I dreamt about the tile patio , a huge and beautiful rock tile with wide grout and a beautiful pattern and color, ater i had entered a stone arch entrance. There was an arm reaching into a whole, a whole chizzeled out of the ground. and the arm pulled out a leather bag full of gems. wrote these down in the middle or the night half asleep. The next day....I kept reading my bible.......

Jeremiah 43:8-13
      New American Standard Bible (NASB)
      8 Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah in Tahpanhes, saying, 9 “Take some large stones in your [a]hands and hide them in the mortar in the brick terrace which is at the entrance of Pharaoh’s [c]palace in Tahpanhes, in the sight of [d]some of the J.ews; 10 and say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, “Behold, I am going to send and get Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, My servant, and I am going to set his throne right over these stones that I have hidden; and he will spread his canopy over them.

#2 the next night I dreamed that i was being attacked by a motorcycle gang and that the leader of the gang had a huge animal horn, att.atched to his seat. he could not even sit on his bike. he was trying to run me over. they were a rebel gang.
      the next day, i had finished reading Jeremiah and gotten into Lament.ations

◄ Lament.ations 2:3 ►

New International Version (©2011)
      In fierce anger he has cut off every horn of Israel. He has withdrawn his right hand at the approach of the enemy. He has burned in Jacob like a flaming fire that consumes everything around it.
      ◄ Lament.ations 2:17 ►

New International Version (©2011)
      The LORD has done what he planned; he has fulfilled his word, which he decreed long ago. He has overthrown you without pity, he has let the enemy gloat over you, he has exalted the horn of your foes.

I DID NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE BOOK OF JEREMIAH AND THE STONES, AND I HAD NO RECOLLECTION OF LAMENTA.TIONS. i COULD NOT HAVE TOLD YOU WHAT ONE MAIN POINT WAS OTHER THAN I KNEW JEREMIAH WAS A PROPHET.

#3 a few days later I had a dream that there was a huge pile of feathers underneath a bed. that day, I was reading in the book of daniel, ◄ Daniel 4:33 ►

New International Version (©2011)
      Immediately what had been said about Nebuchadnezzar was fulfilled. He was driven away from people and ate grass like the ox. His body was drenched with the dew of heaven until his hair grew like the feathers of an eagle and his nails like the claws of a bird.

the kid who i had the dream about, got into trouble that day, which i had suspected the feather was a sign that he would be humiliated. he had his work pass suspended which was a major blow.

#4 dreamed I was poisoned by mercury in alcohol. the next dream, didnt have a single dream for two weeks, this next dream I had just let two snakes out of a cage. one was a viper, the other was a rattler. but I had not thought even thought the word viper for a long time. when i woke up, i said to the kid next to me................."something is going to happen today, this one is a sign" i knew the snakes were a sign..

two hours later i went down to bible study, the leader, on the second passage, said turn to proverbs 23:32

29 Who has woe? Who has sorrow?
      Who has strife? Who has complaints?
      Who has needless bruises? Who has blo.odshot eyes?
      30 Those who linger over wine,
      who go to sample bowls of mixed wine.
      31 Do not gaze at wine when it is red,
      when it sparkles in the cup,
      when it goes down smoothly!
      32 In the end it bites like a snake
      and poisons like a viper.

#5 Dreamed i was in a wh.ore house and I flooded it because i turned on a water spitot upstairs and just let it go and left it on. I had been praying about lust. I didnt catch this dream, until a few week later i did a study on water. I had no clue about this dream. i seemed like a random joke. but i got kicked out for letting the water run and flood.

15 Drink water from your own cistern, running water from your own well. 16 Should your springs overflow in the streets, your streams of water in the public squares? 17 Let them be yours alone, never to be shared with strangers. 18 May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth. 19 A loving doe, a graceful deer– may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be intoxicated with her love. 20 Why, my son, be intoxicated with another man's wife? Why embrace the bosom of a wayward woman? 21 For your ways are in full view of the LORD, and he examines all your paths. 22 The evil deeds of the wicked ensnare them; the cords of their sins hold them fast.

# 6 dreamed i was touring a house and went out back and there was an ABOVE ground pool with an flush deck and a privacy fence right around the deck.

two days later the kid sleeping next to me pulled out a piece of paper , sheldon clay was his name, and he showed me his blue print he drew, of a new house, with an above ground swimming pool , with a flush deck around the pool, and a privacy fence on the deck.

#7 this kid on night threw a roll a tp and racked me. I was furious and said to myself, I wonder if he has the light in his eye. and then i rebuked my judgment of his spiritual condition. THE NEXT MORNING he woke up and came up to me and said, "i had a dream last night that i was going around to see who had a special light in their eye to see if they were possessed or not"
      this kid was not a bible verse type of guy.

#8 had a dream that the kid who was ripping on me lost his money
      a month later i over heard him talking about how he lost his money, and i said watch this, and pulled out the dream i had that he had lost it.

#9 the cat dream. I had a cat at my house, that night i dreamed that a demonic voice sang to me which inverted my body and then presented the same cat, covered in blood.

I woke up and the cat was dead in the highway, 550 feet from my house.

#10 I had a dream i was inside the st. louis arch and I was in there with my cousin, and she was pointing at a glass case , with a bust of someone. she said "look, its thomas Jefferson" and the place was very nice. very expensive and ritzy.

I had no idea what the st. louis arch was about. but what i had been doing, was getting heavily into the rumors about masons, and this dream just came to me. and when I googled this and I started trembling . this is called "a word of knowledge" which is a type of spiritual gift.

There have been numerous other ones that I believe were spiritual words of knowledge that i wont get in to .

None of this stuff, is me trying to fit things together. everything i dreamed, and then experienced in real life as i have stated. Some of these, are totally obvious. others, I have complete faith that they were also spiritual revelations, because I know %100 that some were, so I can have faith that others probably were too. and 8 of the first ten there, all happened in jail.

This is organized, and relevant information that is a dream, relating to reality that i was about to live.

That is spiritual revelation.

March 18, 2013 at 12:46 am | Reply

March 24, 2013 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |

April 20, 2013 at 12:17 am |
    • Akira

Sleeping in camp cot
      Dreams about above ground pools
      Revelation six

April 20, 2013 at 12:24 am |
    • The real Tom

"i am going through this again...
      all of the dreams I had, that I discern were visioins"

You idiot, you can "go through" them ad infinitum. It won't matter a whit, Austin. Your "dreams" are meaningless and so are your posts.

You're a delusional nut case who should be inst itutionalized and medicated post-haste to protect the public.

April 20, 2013 at 12:33 am |
    • Austin

The only sane one
      Not psychotic! Not! Not! Not!
      Sane demon dreams

April 20, 2013 at 1:14 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

ROFLOL Akira

April 20, 2013 at 2:05 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Austins dreams come true
      It could be a demon though
      Exorcism now

April 20, 2013 at 2:15 am |
  5. Bostontola

LOL??: "God makes the claim of creating adam and eve and their procreatin' did the rest. Is not evolution a much more diffi-cult process"?
    Yes! Evolution is much more difficult than snap. That's what makes evolution so much more beautiful and awe inspiring. There is more evidence of evolution than there is for the existence of the Roman Empire. Few people doubt that there was a Roman Empire. It's also easier to postulate that evil spirits invaded a sick persons body than the theory that micro-organisms, too small for humans to see with the naked eye, invaded the body. The evil spirit theory led to no effective treatments. The micro-organism theory has led to an enormous number of effective treatments. Nature isn't easy, or simple, it's complexity is a source of endless beauty.

April 19, 2013 at 9:50 pm |
    • lol??

Impressive that you're dazzled by beauty. That bein' the case I won't be celebratin' with you and your drug company pals doin' the over prescribing of antibiotics and doin' the biological warfare gig when they throw their big bashes. Where is your example of a species split, and not something I need a microscope for? Make it a BIG animal, something magnificent!

April 20, 2013 at 1:34 am |
    • redzoa

Not sure if these organisms meet your definition of "BIG" or "magnificent", but they don't require a microscope and they do, in fact, represent speciation. For real time observation, I believe the best examples are the fruitfly experiments. There are lots of other examples if you care to search for "speciation."

April 20, 2013 at 1:59 am |
    • redzoa

Furthermore, a nice example of significant morphological changes can be found in the Pod Mrcaru lizards. Not presently clear if these lizards are reproductively isolated from the parental forms, but then given their physical isolation, evolution predicts isolation is likely as the separate populations continue to acquire distinguishing mutations, morphology and behaviors.

April 20, 2013 at 2:04 am |
  6. BacBac

right tom, right... that's it

April 19, 2013 at 9:49 pm |
    • The real Tom

Still can't figure out how to reply? You pitiful boob.

April 19, 2013 at 9:50 pm |
  7. faith

how to scare an atheist to death? watch

who was jesus christ?

April 19, 2013 at 9:40 pm |
    • The real Tom

You are completely clueless, aren't you?

April 19, 2013 at 9:41 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Another lie, as I managed to read your question and am still breathing.

April 19, 2013 at 9:42 pm |

lol

thanks dodo. i am a true genius and a prophet

like taking candy from a baby

April 19, 2013 at 9:44 pm |
    • The real Tom

How to scare faith to death: ask it to prove jesus was divine.

April 19, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
    • BacBac

tom and hotair- quick responses to 'faith' but no response to me. My feelings are hurt.

April 19, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
    • The real Tom

You're not worthy of a response, BacT-it.

April 19, 2013 at 9:46 pm |
    • faith

does any one view the videos posted here, ever?

i skip over them and most posters' comments, especially when they preach xtian

April 19, 2013 at 9:47 pm |

"The real DODO,
      How to scare faith to death: ask it to prove jesus was divine."

jesus was divine? where did you come up with that idea, Dorothy, in Greece translating for your daddy?

12 out of 19 atheists hate their fathers

April 19, 2013 at 9:51 pm |
    • Atheist

Is this what death feels like? Apparently I've been scared to death, but it feels like a nice Friday evening to me.

I think I'll have a nice burgundy to celebrate my death. It must have been very scary.

April 19, 2013 at 9:51 pm |
    • The real Tom

Oh, so now *I'm* "dorothy"?

My word. If you're not in therapy, honey, you should be.

What a weirdo.

April 19, 2013 at 9:56 pm |
    • Akira

"12 out of 19 atheists hate their fathers"

You'll provide the supporting citation, right, faith?
      Because otherwise I'll just think you made that up, and you'd never do that, right?

April 19, 2013 at 10:04 pm |
    • The real Tom

The "12 out of 19" thingie is a hoot. Has anyone seen any statistics that use such numbers?

What a muttonhead.

April 19, 2013 at 10:24 pm |
    • Observer

How to scare a Christian to death: force them to OBJECTIVELY read the entire Bible.

April 19, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
    • faith

the "four corners of the earth" is proof god doesn't know squat, according to our baby gods. god cannot speak figuratively. they take great offense with god for being god. they know how he should speak and rule and love. his bet over job's love is considered a trite, cruel gesture. killing job's children, destroying his possessions and afflicting him with terrible sores was done simply for kicks. the children who perished in Egypt over Passover died at the hands of a sadistic dictator. nothing more to it.

their infantile black and white conclusions typify their best thinking. if god existed, he would never create hell. he would never punish wrongdoing. his holiness and Christ's atoning work do not enter their thinking other than to try to infer human sacrifice and atrocity. god can't even die without igniting passionate hatred. FOOLS

April 19, 2013 at 11:39 pm |
    • Observer

faith,

April 19, 2013 at 11:44 pm |

"Observer
      faith,
      Should you be picking on "fools" while you support a book that says that serpents talk and unicorns exist?"

and odd, wrinkly, smelly, hairless apes like you can use a computer? what a god

April 20, 2013 at 12:04 am |
    • The real Tom

faith, dear, do you ever manage to put a coherent thought together?

When did such a momentous event occur?

April 20, 2013 at 12:06 am |
    • Dippy

It never has.I

April 20, 2013 at 12:21 am |
    • biggles

I LOVE DODO' 2. Do u?

April 20, 2013 at 12:25 am |
    • Dippy's Disciple

bigbutt, you are a moron.

April 20, 2013 at 12:29 am |
  8. BacBac

From 'Why I raise my children with God'. One of my favorite openings...

I begin any consideration on the question of God with the realization that we cannot convince men (or women) of the existence or non-existence of God. Let's be honest with ourselves on that point. So, what is the value of the discussion then? Ultimately, it may be little more than a deep need to remind ourselves of what we believe. And it might be an opportunity to encourage those who see things our way – and discourage those who don't. We would do well to remember that there are really smart people who believe in God. There are also some really dumb ones. And vice versa. And as C.S. Lewis reminds us, whether we are atheists or believers – there will be times when we doubt our beliefs, whichever camp we fall in

April 19, 2013 at 9:22 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Why do you believe in something for which there is not a shred of proof? What are you lacking in your (assumed) adult life that requires you to continue to believe childish fairy tales?

April 19, 2013 at 9:51 pm |
  9. BacBac

April 19, 2013 at 9:06 pm |
  10. Observer

BacBac,

Yes. But murder is a crime and illegal.

April 19, 2013 at 9:02 pm |
  11. faith

"The real Dorothy
    Oh, Austin. It's really tragic that you never had a decent education. Your inability to grasp the simplest concepts is just sad. Evolution occurred. It is occurring and it will continue to occur.

"God is a creative genius." If he existed and had any 'creativity', he'd have created you with more than two brain cells."

as long as you refer to yourself dottie, as a source for the bull you write, you will always receive the same vicious rejections. You are slick, though, honey. Almost had the entire community of scholars convinced you were legit.

April 19, 2013 at 8:57 pm |
    • ..

who does faith speak to? only faith know? lol

April 19, 2013 at 9:01 pm |

honk if u love dodo

April 19, 2013 at 9:04 pm |
    • faith

akira ain't bad. just keep that bag over her head

April 19, 2013 at 9:05 pm |
    • Akira

"akira ain’t bad. just keep that bag over her head"

Excuse me?
      Why bring me up?

April 19, 2013 at 9:44 pm |
    • The real Tom

Why? Because faith is a fvcktard who's got nothing else to present.

April 19, 2013 at 9:46 pm |
    • Akira

Wow, Tom...it just seems so...random, yanno?

April 19, 2013 at 9:55 pm |
    • The real Tom

Well, the moron is likely bombed out of its mind. It just accused ME of being "dorothy."

April 19, 2013 at 9:57 pm |
    • Akira

You're in grand company, Tom. Clarity and I are also dorothys.

April 19, 2013 at 10:14 pm |
    • The real Tom

Well, then, I consider myself flattered. I couldn't wish for a better parallel than you two! 😉

April 19, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
  12. faith

"HotAirAce
    {!} – Wrong!! Nonbelievers have come to their conclusions because they looked for independent, factual, objective and verifiable evidence (facts) and there are none. But go ahead, be the first believer to successfully make the case for (any) god."
    lol

April 19, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
    • ..

Where's your alter-ego biggles and Austin? Ya think you're fooling anyone?? And answer HAA's post. You can't. Game over.

April 19, 2013 at 8:57 pm |
    • faith

yea! be the first! no one in history ever convinced anybody god exists. (we got nothin to worry about, come to think of it. uh oh. duh)

April 19, 2013 at 8:59 pm |

I LOVE DODO

April 19, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
    • faith

SERIOUSLY DODO, if u ever get a date, everyone will believe in miracles

April 19, 2013 at 9:02 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Please forgive me as I forgot that not everyone here has good reading comprehension skills and cannot understand subtlety.

April 19, 2013 at 9:21 pm |

"HotAirAce

To be clear, no one has ever proven conclusively that any god exists or that a divine jesus existed. Now, go ahead and be the first to do so. That is, for crystal clear clarity, prove conclusively, by providing objective, independent, factual and verifiable evidence, the existence of any god and/or a divine jesus." lol

sieg heil

April 19, 2013 at 11:49 pm |
    • The real Tom

Gee, that was about as impressive as a fart, faith. Maybe even less so.

You are among the least impressive posters to appear here. Ever.

April 19, 2013 at 11:53 pm |
    • bb1

So Sig Heil and lol are the only answers faith can come up with? I'm underwhelmed.

April 20, 2013 at 1:50 am |
  13. BacBac

Observer you are correct.
    Murder was discussed though, yes?

April 19, 2013 at 8:28 pm |
  14. lol??

AKIRA, source??

April 19, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
  15. hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Chad", but based on the truth values assigned to your assertions over the past six months, along with the repetitive nature of your assertions, I can now predict with a high degree of accuracy that your assertions for the next six months will be unfounded.

April 19, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • lol??

Do you see the Boolean world, prophet of the greatness?

April 19, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • Science

hal 9001............... Agree .................could be a quorum. LOL

April 19, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
    • lol??

Give us a date for the next recordable species split. Get some newspaper reporters on the scene.

April 19, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • The real Tom

Sure, lollypoop. Just as soon as you grow a brain and provide evidence that gawddidit.

April 19, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
  16. lol??

God makes the claim of creating adam and eve and their procreatin' did the rest. Is not evolution a much more diffi-cult process because you have to have a male from one tribe and a female from another gaggle evolve exactly the same way at the same time at the same place and then LIKE each other? You don't have the wiggle room of 100,000 years either. What kinda of magic are you feeding the public with that magic banana? They would have at least made the newspapers and maybe won one of them peace prizes, too. Free tickets to the county fair for everybody, on the house!

How is it exactly at the time of a species split? Fireworks? Run and head for the hills to escape the "lessers" left behind? The lessers throw a party and are glad to be rid of the freaks? All kinds of new inbreeding once the escape is complete? By now there ought to some photo evidence of these types of events from lower animals not capable of partyin'. Tell the wurld O SCIENCE GENIUSES!!!

April 19, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • ..

What an idiot. Where did the wives of A&E's children come from? Answer: they were OBVIOUSLY their sibs. Yay. You embrace incest. And you say atheists are the immoral ones? Pull your head out of your ass, moron. If God had created other people, wouldn't THAT be in the Bible, too? Keep your blind faith that espouces incest, slavery, and genocide.

April 19, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • lol??

Double Dot, you and Silly Dot have a pwoblem.

April 19, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
    • oOo

Ooo – great defense lol?? We be scared!!!!

April 19, 2013 at 7:56 pm |

April 19, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
    • ..

Yeah, lol??, the "pwoblem" I have is I don't suffer fools gladly. And you're the biggest fool preaching for Jesus. Dipshit.
      You're babbling about A&E and children fucking each other to populate the world. You have the audacity to call everyone else immoral when Lot fucked his daughters. When Noah and family fucked each other to repopulate the world (again!) Give it up. God has a cornerlock on immorality.

April 19, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
    • Austin

American King James Version
      These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

"Perfect in his generations" meant his genes were fairly undefiled as well as complimenting his faith. This is why he could and should reproduce from his immediate family.

My good friend from Iraq, a Hebraic guy, told me that his mom wanted him to marry his cousin (4th cousin) and some people still don't go outside the bloodline for marriage.

April 19, 2013 at 10:48 pm |
    • Austin

Lots daughters got their dad drunk and they were perps in this case.

April 19, 2013 at 10:53 pm |
    • ..

Oh, bull, Austin. That is the weakest EXCUSE for incest I have ever heard. What you apologist won't do to excuse these bastions of the Bible fucking their immediate family. They fucked their daughters. The daughters fucked their brothers. Their mothers fucked their sons. That is SICK, IMMORAL behavior, and it was sanctioned by GOD.
      Puhleeeeeze.

April 19, 2013 at 11:34 pm |
    • lol??

tom tom sings her praises to the evilution god,
      "...........Evolution occurred. It is occurring and it will continue to occur..............."
      Copycattin' again??

"Rev 11:17~ Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; ........."

April 20, 2013 at 1:17 am |
  17. The real Tom

JLA, what are you personally doing to reduce the number of abortions? Do you abstain? Always use a contraceptive? Urge the schools in your area to provide comprehensive s3x education? Urge your lawmakers to make sure that Plan B and other contraceptives are available for all women?

Yeah. I'll bet.

April 19, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
  18. Austin

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mneDhOtVEQw&w=640&h=360]

April 19, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
    • Austin

there are other fish with "pusher" appendages. archeopteryx, duck bill platipus, orchids that look identical to bumble bees, shark with pusher, fish with pushers

dog, wolf, fox, lab,
      birds are birds. dogs are dogs. beavers arent ducks. did they mate? no God is a creative genius.

April 19, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • Prehistoric shark captured on film

You forgot the Chomp Chomp austin

April 19, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
    • .

Just like you don't mate with other species, dolt. I hope.

April 19, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
    • Austin

I try not to.

April 19, 2013 at 10:43 pm |
    • The real Tom

No other species would have you, Austin. Your OWN species won't have you.

April 19, 2013 at 10:44 pm |
    • Austin

there are a few different species that we shouldnt mate with based upon their hoof. cleft hoof is ok. single hoof is unclean.

April 19, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
    • ..

Figures you'd fuck a pig or a goat. Mr. Ed will be relieved and so will Francis.

What about claws? Squisg kitties OK?

April 19, 2013 at 11:42 pm |
    • Austin

Pigs are unclean.
      Single hoof.

April 20, 2013 at 12:13 am |
    • The real Tom

Oh, really, Austin? You don't EVER eat bacon? Ham?

You glutton. You wouldn't pass up a chance to gorge yourself on either or both, you fvcking lying hypocrite.

April 20, 2013 at 12:38 am |
  19. Observer

The Bible never mentions abortion, but Christians sure love to fantasize that it does.

April 19, 2013 at 6:58 pm |
  20. Akira

HAA, that's 83%.
    Women who obtain abortion represent every religious affiliation. 43% of women obtaining abortion identify themselves as Protestant, and 27% as Catholic; and 13% of abortion patients describe themselves as born-again or Evangelical Christians.

April 19, 2013 at 6:53 pm |