home
RSS
April 18th, 2013

My Take: Godless in Boston mourn, too

Editor’s note: Greg M. Epstein is the Humanist chaplain at Harvard University and author of the New York Times best-seller "Good Without God." He directs the Humanist Community Project, a national think tank helping to study and build communities for the nonreligious.

By Greg M. Epstein, Special to CNN

Cambridge, Massachusetts (CNN) — After two days of holding back my own feelings to focus on the needs of a community in mourning, what finally split my heart in two was scrolling through the list of donations to the fund-raising page for Celeste and Sydney Corcoran, a mother and daughter among the tragically injured at the Boston Marathon.

Celeste, the mother, has volunteered for my congregation. She’s basically an aunt to a senior member of our staff. So I cried for the two-sidedness: A member of our community lost her legs below the knees, and nearly lost her daughter. And, in one day, nearly 4,000 people donated more than $250,000 to support them. They seemed to be saying, through their gifts, “Please do this for me too if anything should ever happen to me or my family.”

AC360: Mother lost legs, daughter nearly died in bombing

As a chaplain, I’m struggling to make sense of this tragedy just like any other member of the clergy. And like faith communities across the country, the thousands of people I work with are doing what needs to be done when tragedy strikes close to home. We’re offering one another comfort. We’re calling around to the point of exhaustion, trying to figure out who needs help and how we can provide it.

The only difference is, we are a community of atheists — a congregation of Humanists.

You’ve probably read the statistics: With 18% of the nation’s population now nonreligious, America is less religious today than ever before. This especially applies to young Americans, up to a third of whom now have no religion. That number may be closer to half on many of the college campuses throughout Boston, like the one where I work.

What you may not have noticed, however, is that in addition to the religiously unaffiliated, or “nones” as sociologists have taken to calling them, a new and very significant group of Americans has been emerging — the nonreligiously affiliated. Relatively quietly, many thousands of mostly young Americans who identify as atheists and agnostics have been coming together to form civically active, thoughtful secular community groups that now dot nearly our whole nation.

Sometimes you hear about the debates these groups hold with religious leaders. But while Richard Dawkins and the like are eloquent and controversial speakers on behalf of atheism, most such debates are actually organized by religious organizations. The vast majority of what Humanist and secular communities do is positive, uncontroversial and entirely American. We serve. We meet throughout the year. We help one another raise good kids. We celebrate life, and we grieve death.

So I don’t relish the opportunity — or the need — to say that right now, our community is grieving too, just like any other Boston-area congregation. Boston, in fact, is home to one of the biggest secular/Humanist/atheist/nonreligious communities in the world. (Sure, we don’t know what to call ourselves. But then again neither does the LGBT — or is it GLBT? — or LGBTQ? — community, and that hasn’t stopped them from thriving.) We meet every week. We’re getting ready to open up a large community center. We sponsor service programs where we invite interfaith groups to help us package thousands of meals for hungry kids. You can even join us this Sunday: We’ll be marking our losses together in a memorial gathering.

What is so disappointing to see people do, then, is blame the horrific and traumatizing events of this Monday on the godless, or on godlessness, as way too many on Twitter and elsewhere have been doing. As one young woman in our community said to me, “It’s hard enough to deal with senseless grief, but when people write things like 'Why do people have to be so godless to want to kill innocent people?' it makes me feel like I’m not safe either, like we’re being singled out for prejudice.”

Obviously when people say “I’ll pray for you” or “May God grant you strength,” they’re only expressing their own sincere convictions. But while not everyone holds those same beliefs, we all want to be acknowledged in a way that feels right to us.

And when political leaders like Gov. Deval Patrick or President Obama try to make sense of these moments by assembling interfaith services, it is admirable — far better for a politician to bring different religions together than to only recognize one religion’s view of loss as valid. But for goodness' sake, must the nonreligious continue to be excluded from such gatherings? I’ve seen Humanists knock on the door recently at the interfaith celebrations of political conventions, or after tragedies like Hurricane Sandy or Newtown. We wanted to help and were turned away. I hope this is where people realize: We are part of the community too. We care and want to offer our support just as much as anyone. We, too, are in shock and grief.

Secular people place our faith in the human ability to value life over death. We believe in committing ourselves to love and care and help as indiscriminately as possible, because that is what makes our lives worthwhile. We try our best, despite our doubt, to ensure that the good will that comes from tragedy will ultimately exceed the bad.

All that said, I don’t have a clue what Celeste’s beliefs are, and I don’t care. I just hope she and Sydney and everyone else injured get well. After all, would you believe for a second that every Christian pastor knows whether or not every visitor to his or her congregation truly believes in the Ascension? Nor should they. The point of a congregation, to me, is just to care about the people in it, and better yet, to help bring people together to care about one another. Our community is including everyone, religious or not, in our thoughts and hopes at this tough time. It would mean a lot to us if others do the same.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Uncategorized

soundoff (3,411 Responses)
  1. Bob

faith is as useless here as it is anywhere.

April 24, 2013 at 1:03 pm |

hey, hold up.

sambo asked her to blow her head off

April 24, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
    • John

I have faith that the one posting as "faith" will discontinue their moronic tirade, but I know my faith is misplaced.

April 24, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
  2. Akira

Faith's example of civil discourse.

Dumbo, if u can’t comprehend the posts, you can’t categorize the poster as a poe and vain, u dodo bird. stop reading the posts. u complete idiot, if u can’t understand them. DUH.

CIVIL DISCOURSE? HAVE A CHAT WITH YOUR ONE TRUE LOVE AND MINE, SAM THE SHAM, THE CHARMER FROM DOWN UNDER, THAT FLAMIN FVCKTARD

Mrs. Fred Phelps has spoken, and her true colors have been outed.

April 24, 2013 at 1:02 pm |

akira,

would you be a good person and ask sam to hush?

April 24, 2013 at 1:57 pm |

Certainly, faith.

sam, hush.

Of course, I don't expect sam to stop posting his thoughts any more than I expect you to stop posting yours; both of you are completely within your rights to do so.

April 24, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
  3. faith

u think faith is a believer? lol

April 24, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
    • faith

they think faithie b a believer! lol

April 24, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
    • Akira

Faith does not believe in God or Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior.
      Wow. Did I ever have her pegged wrong.

April 24, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
    • laststonecarver

@Akira,
      faith speaks in a certain style, that is familar to ol' skool folks, like me –
      faith does explain somewhat obtusely, in a reply to:
      Roscoe
      April 21, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply

All that wisdom, and can't take it to the bank –

April 24, 2013 at 3:18 pm |

Laststonecarver:
      Ah. The "old skool style" of talking translates poorly to the written word, however.

I hope you've been well. I haven't seen you in a while.

April 24, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
    • laststonecarver

@Akira,
      I am well, thanx – and I wish you good health, both in mind and body –

April 24, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
  4. faith

time out girls

"making fun of a fellow believer"

who? who b makin fun?

April 24, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
    • BU2B

April 24, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
    • Akira

Did you not post this, faith?
      "dear russ,

are you still here you illiterate twit?"

April 24, 2013 at 12:41 pm |

CERTANWY.

April 24, 2013 at 12:49 pm |

"BU2B
      There's no need to make fun. A believer makes fun of himself/herself by believing what they do."

hows comes this idiot can b a big horses rear end?

April 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
    • .

Faith if you said that you ARE making fun of a fellow believer, you insipid simpleton! How do you not REALIZE that??

April 24, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
  5. Bill Deacon

Nice article. Best exposition I've seen from a secularist here on CNN. I have trouble wrapping my mind around why a community that is non religious needs a chaplain though.

April 24, 2013 at 11:53 am |
    • biggles

They need salvation thru the shed blood of Jesus. The last thing the devil wants them to hear.

April 24, 2013 at 11:56 am |
    • faith

I SAY woman where did you learn all those things you say?

you listen to the news man on t.v.

i had to leave today just when i thought i'd found you

it was a new day yesterday but it's an old day now

We will be geared to the average rather than the exceptional
      God is an overwhelming responsibility

The summer lightning casts its bolts upon you
      and the hour of judgement draweth near.
      Would you be
      the fool stood in his suit of armour or
      the wiser man who rushes clear.

bard of modernity, mister

April 24, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
    • Science

And 3 frutcakes of xmas past still hanging out...............hey Bill what did the old pope say back in 2010 ?

April 24, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
    • Bob

Chaplain – A member of the clergy attached to a private chapel, instltution, ship, branch of the armed forces, etc.

I think the term "chaplain" is ill advised. He should have gone with "counselor" or "maybe "Humanist mentor".

As for a need to have a mentor, those who are searching for something other than the pure conjecture that is organized religion still need a centered guide who can ask leading questions that get one thinking and questioning their understanding of the universe and their personal space within it.

April 24, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
    • Akira

And, again, you don't know who it is you are posting to.
      Bill Deacon is a devout believer.

April 24, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
  6. biggles

Russ. Oh Russell. Did you finish posting here for good? Dodo was having such a wonnerful, wunnerful debate wit yas. She was making all her usual arguments to hate the true god so she can sneak in the devil, which she is. Did she give you the heave-ho?

April 24, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • biggles

I LOVE DODO!

April 24, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • biggles

Why do akrimonious and dippy the dork answer for dodo:-) ?

April 24, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • Akira

I am far from acrimonious. I don't believe you know what the word even means.

I also and not speaking *for* Russ, who is a devout Christian, but speaking *about* him, and telling you and faith both that you wouldn't know a true Christian posting on this board if one came up to you personally and laid waste to all of your pseudo "proselytizing".

Amy name is Akira, biggles. Please have enough respect to not bastardize my name; I haven't done so with you.

And please remember Mathew 7, 1-5; you are *very* judgmental of people, some of who I respect as Christians. You seem to lack respect even for God, as you continuously
      Refrain form capitalizing His name.

I don't expect you to understand my post.

April 24, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
    • faith

hold up. i think i'm beginin to catch on. there b 2 standards for the atheists. 1 for xtards and 1 for them. uh oh! them atheists b bigoted rascalians

Gonna lose my way tomorrow,
      Gonna give away my car.
      I'd take you along with me,
      But you would not go so far.
      Don't see what I do not want to see,
      You don't hear what I don't say.
      Won't be what I don't want to be,
      I continue in my way.

Don't see, see, see where I'm goin',
      Don't see, see, see where I'm goin',
      Don't see, see, see where I'm goin' to,
      I don't want to.

Everyday I see the mornin' come on in the same old way.
      I tell myself tomorrow brings me things I would not dream today.

_the great literary genius of modernity

ian jethro tull anderson

April 24, 2013 at 1:16 pm |
    • .

Hey faith, Akira seems to try and be decent to both believer and atheist alike. UNLIKE you, bitch. Gotta streak of meaness in ya, gotta come from old split hoof himself. Liar for Jesus, Jesus's mouthpiece twat that you are!!

April 24, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
  7. Jay

Pretty soon, atheists are gonna say its ok for a 50 year old man to be attracted to a 15 year old! 'They were born that way!'

April 24, 2013 at 8:09 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

That's simply ridiculous! Not unheard of but ridiculous none the less. We're the ones fighting for equal rights and a 50 year old being a perv is not right. You might want to educate yourself before spewing such crap because obviously you know nothing about Atheists. I do believe it was the christian god that impregnated a 14 year old innocent girl (or so the myth goes)....supporting that myth would in turn mean you'd be the one supporting a 50 year old going after a 15 year old.

April 24, 2013 at 8:18 am |
    • Dan

The only ones marrying girls under 15 and justifying it are the sick perverted Christians we have here in Utah, New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada with the Mormons and FLDS.

April 24, 2013 at 11:37 am |
  8. biggles

Russ done distappeared. Dodo, u seen Russ? Him and you, I mean observation deck, was having a hootin and a howlin big time here pretending to have a conversation. Uh oh. Twernt pasosta notice. Akira, u seen anvil face or reality t.v.?

Say hi to em for me if u does.

April 24, 2013 at 3:09 am |
    • Akira

No, I don't know them, but I'll bet you know Rev. Fred pretty well. You both preach the same kind of hatred.

April 24, 2013 at 11:36 am |
    • Dan

biggle = big giggle, which is what I get every time a Christian nut starts spouting their doctrinal (and urinal) verbal idiocy 🙂

April 24, 2013 at 11:40 am |
  9. faith

dear russ,

are you still here you illiterate twit?

April 24, 2013 at 12:36 am |

anybody seen russ?

April 24, 2013 at 12:43 am |
    • faith

C, c, c. thar b them hypocrites, again. zippity dippity doo dah calls people illiterate twit and no atheists goodie 2 shoes says nothin. BUT, when someone thinks a xtard calls somebody that, well, that is all good.

satan, u need some fresh recruits

is there one intelligent god-hating twit willing to b humiliated in a debate? step right up

(i think we need sam the fvcking fvcktard

April 24, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • Mass Debater

" willing to b humiliated in a debate" lol

Did someone request to be humiliated in a debate?

April 24, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
  10. faith

dear russ

are you still here? haven't seen you posting for several days. what's up wit dat?

April 24, 2013 at 12:30 am |
    • Dippy

It's "with that" you illiterate twit.

April 24, 2013 at 12:33 am |
    • Akira

Um, Russ is a Christian, who writes beautifully...much better than the usual bunch of Christians commenting here do...and you are not only a) making fun of a fellow believer, but b) calling someone out to has obviously superior writing skills to you own? SMH

April 24, 2013 at 11:33 am |
    • faith

"Faith, I comprehend the written word very well; it does have to be written coherently, however; you have not done so in any of the posts I have ever read that you authored.

I agree with HG and MR.
      Not only are you a crazy poe, you are apparently a vanity writer that is not interested in any sort of civil discourse."

dumbo, if u can't comprehend the posts, you can't categorize the poster as a poe and vain, u dodo bird. stop reading the posts. u complete idiot, if u can't understand them. DUH.

April 24, 2013 at 12:43 pm |

"Dippy
      It's "with that" you illiterate twit." that's what i said, u illiterate twit.

akiramonious, you are not very bright

April 24, 2013 at 1:05 pm |
    • Akira

I don't worship Satan, so your intelligible rant was for naught.

April 24, 2013 at 1:06 pm |
    • Akira

I'm not Dippy. Address your remarks to him.
      I'm not akrimonious. My name is Akira.

April 24, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
    • faith

do any of u god-hating nazis knoed any intelligent god-hating Nazis? invite them

April 24, 2013 at 1:21 pm |

"Akira
      I'm not Dippy. Address your remarks to him.
      I'm not akrimonious. My name is Akira."

if u ain't akrimonious or dippity doo dah, don't answer posts addressed to them, DINGBAT

April 24, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
  11. faith

report the violent threats and the hate speech to the president, your congresspeople, nbc, abc, cbs, the nyt, l.a. time, wsj, etc. we are asking the adl to assist us

dodo blocks me from reposting dodos posts. she is a hacker

April 23, 2013 at 12:29 am |

lol

April 23, 2013 at 12:30 am |
    • biggles

That's who dodo is akira. LOL

April 23, 2013 at 12:57 am |
    • Akira

Wait...I'm dorothy AND dodo?
      Um, no. Saying so is breaking the 9th Commandment, biggles.
      I know you wouldn't do that, being such a good Christian and all..you would never knowingly and deliberately lie and bear false witness and slander another...right?

April 23, 2013 at 9:04 am |
    • biggles

Sambo stonebo is beyond funny. Her most off repeated garbage goes like this. I b wonderful and go kill yourself. Gets to love that idiot. One of a kind moron.

Kiss me sambo! U big naughty girl

April 23, 2013 at 10:15 am |
    • biggles

Very hard worker. Posts here 18 hours a day. Love the sambo

April 23, 2013 at 10:16 am |
    • Akira

@biggles, are you referring to me? My name is Akira.
      You seem to be confused about the identity of certain posters, biggles.

There are several sams here: sam, sam stone, (who is different from sam), and Sam Yaza, (who is different from sam and sam stone.)
      Which is "sambo"?

I hope this clears up your confusion.

April 23, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
    • biggles

Hi akira, how's that job a yours? Work in hard I see. Fool!

April 23, 2013 at 12:19 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

Akira
      you will never clear up biggles confision...it posts under so many names, it has confused itself beyond repair.

April 23, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
    • Akira

Biggles: my job is fine, thanks for asking.

Richard Cranium: yeah, I guess.
      I won't attempt to further educate; if biggles chooses to remain ignorant, it is biggle's right to do so, I suppose.

April 23, 2013 at 12:33 pm |
    • biggles

Dearly beloved,

You might want to heed our Lord's admonition. He said before you point out the splinter in someone's eye, remove the plank from yours first.

Stupid witch dodo akira lol

April 23, 2013 at 10:19 pm |
    • Akira

I see biggles is Lying For Jesus again.

April 23, 2013 at 10:27 pm |

biggles said:
      "Dearly beloved,

You might want to heed our Lord’s admonition. He said before you point out the splinter in someone’s eye, remove the plank from yours first.

Stupid witch dodo akira lol"

O:! Oh, are you talking about Mathew 7, 1-5? Yes, you ought to refresh your memory, eapecially since you saw fit to call me "stupid witch dodo akira."

Mathew
      7:1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."

You are one of the biggest hypocrites on the BB, biggles. I doubt you'll recognize yourself; hypocrites don't, generally.
      Take the log out, boy.

April 23, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
  12. faith

a reminder to believers, we are not debating. this forum has nothing to do with the honest and open exchange of ideas, in case you have not yet discerned that. use your gifts to perceive who and what goes on.

if you are a baby in christ, go to 1 cor. ch. 12 and study through ch. 14. if you are familiar with your gifts, apply them here. you will understand

April 22, 2013 at 11:03 pm |
    • faith

"For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are an aroma that brings death; to the other, an aroma that brings life" this is a tool. use it

April 22, 2013 at 11:14 pm |
    • Austin

The word of God is a living miracle that has the power to over rule a persons stubborn will. thank God for His mercy.

April 22, 2013 at 11:20 pm |
    • Austin

Water boarded.....stuck in trees ? Ahahaha

April 22, 2013 at 11:22 pm |
    • faith

So then tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is for a sign, not to unbelievers but to those who believe. Therefore if the whole church assembles together and all speak in tongues, and ungifted men or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are mad? But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an ungifted man enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all; the secrets of his heart are disclosed; and so he will fall on his face and worship God, declaring that God is certainly among you.

April 22, 2013 at 11:34 pm |
    • .

Then you won't care that I say this to you, faith: fuck you, you insane delusional bitch. I beliece you're fucking nuts. You and squish kitty boy should hook up, although your spawns would be born with a brain.

April 22, 2013 at 11:45 pm |
    • faith

we know evil itself shines like light, sometimes. true colors? that light cannot and will not last. that's a tool. use it

that aroma? the stench of death permeates everything they say and do, everything they are, no matter what

have you ever smelled burning human flesh? there you go

April 23, 2013 at 12:10 am |
    • faith

"But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an ungifted man enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all; the secrets of his heart are disclosed"

god gives some the ability to see into a person's secret thoughts and then declare them before her and others.

these are some of the tools with which god equips his kids in order that they may try the spirits and test the spirits, among other purposes

April 23, 2013 at 12:20 am |
    • Athy

Faith, whatever you do, don't stop posting your stupid comments. You're one of the best promoters of atheism I've ever seen. Keep up the good work for us. And Austin is a great help too. How can anyone read his comments and not turn atheist?

April 23, 2013 at 12:36 am |
    • doing the wash

Faith is correct. Lots of dotties, left to right, and fruit too. The fruits are serious stuff.

April 23, 2013 at 1:01 am |
    • sam stone

Austin: Your god has no mercy. Your god is a vindictive pr1ck. Have another drink

April 23, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • biggles

Poor little sambo. God is a prvck? Lol. You have no idea. Just wait, my love. When you beg him to kill you and you won't be able to die!

April 23, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • biggles

A prvck. A pvck. Heavens to mergatroid. You will wish that he was just a prvck when you stand before him, naked, trembling, exposed. Dear god, have mercy on this idiot, for she hasn't the slightest clue the things you have in store for the devil and his demons. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth

April 23, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
    • faith

devils don't debate. they lie, poison, deceive, trick, twist, howl, complain, curse, tease, embarrass, taunt, reject, scoff, cry, moan, accuse, run away, bargain, attack, shoot arrows, misquote, throw temper tantrums and smell. they stink, but they can't smell themselves. wherever they wander, their stench is overwhelming. burning flesh always gives them away.

a prvck? god is a prvck? lol.

April 23, 2013 at 12:42 pm |
  13. faith

what is the kosher tax?

"What is so disappointing to see people do, then, is blame the horrific and traumatizing events of this Monday on the godless, or on godlessness, as way too many on Twitter and elsewhere have been doing." LOL

April 22, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
    • faith

“Your churches will be used to teach the Jews’ religion and in less than two hundred years the whole nation will be working for divine world government… All religions will be permeated with Judaism without even being noticed by the masses, and they will all be under the invisible all-seeing eye of the Grand Architect of Freemasonry.” dodo

April 22, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
    • faith

"If the jews wanted Christianity, why wouldn’t they have been the ones to create it – instead of that satanism that they call judaism? The jews main authority is the Babylonian Talmud, not the Bible. The jews tried to hi-jack Christianity by “adopting” the first 5 books as their Torah, which they give little heed to. The jews don’t want Christianity. Or, hasn’t anyone noticed? Christianity gives true Christians an authority higher and entirely independent of that power of the jews, or that of the authority of the state, which is what the jews hide behind." dodo

pretty sharp gal, huh? she knows her stuff

dodo, one thing i don't get. do u mind if i ask u one question, dear?

April 22, 2013 at 8:27 pm |
    • faith

appreciate your feedback, you definitely know your history. To sum it up in Hoff-like terms–prehistoric humans were all pagans, practicing human and animal sacrifice and living in fear and dread of the unknown, otherwise refered to as “evolutionary religion” based on ghost fear. Sacrifice was performed to appease the evil spirit ghosts and to cojol the spirits into giving them good luck. The jews found themselves on top of the evolutionary religious heap having invented monotheism with their one god Yahweh, the spirit of the Sinai volcano, much like Hawaiians have Pele. This tribal “deity” was the Hebrew god that got written about first, eventually being considered god of all nations by the jews. dodo

April 22, 2013 at 8:32 pm |
    • Akira

Who in the heck is dodo now? Who do you keep quoting? What thought are you trying to convey?
      Who are you addressing these posts to??
      Your posts seem less and less rational with each passing day...

April 22, 2013 at 8:41 pm |

thanks babe.

why do you hide your hatred for the jews on this forum, but broadcast it where you won't feel threatened?

April 22, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
    • Akira

Please post one instance where I have ever expressed hatred for the Jewish people.
      You cannot. I don't hate them.

And Twitter is the kosher tax?

"what is the kosher tax?

“What is so disappointing to see people do, then, is blame the horrific and traumatizing events of this Monday on the godless, or on godlessness, as way too many on Twitter and elsewhere have been doing.” LOL

Are you confused?

April 22, 2013 at 8:49 pm |

"Akira
      Who are you addressing these posts to??
      Your posts seem less and less rational with each passing day..."

honey, if you demonstrated the ability to comprehend it, i'd try to explain it to you again.

be still. keep reading. ask your mother. u never no, u may catch on b4 the rapture

April 22, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

I think faith has just completely lost it. He/she is now completely insane, and there's no sense in responding to anything. None of it will make any sense.

April 22, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
    • midwest rail

Akira, there appear to be two, and only two, possibilities.
      1. faith is the ultimate Poe.
      2. faith is mentally unstable.

April 22, 2013 at 8:53 pm |

I agree with HG and MR.

April 22, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
    • .

She's a bitch. She won't answer the simplest questions, she's a liar, and worse yet, she's a liar for Jesus. Dodo and dottie don't even exist. She's nothing but a bat shit crazy bitch liar for the Lord. Sombody should have drowned HER at birth.

April 22, 2013 at 11:54 pm |
    • .

"honey, if you demonstrated the ability to comprehend it, i’d try to explain it to you again."
      LMFAO! Lying twat. What do ya mean AGAIN? You never explained in the first place, you stupid bitch.

April 22, 2013 at 11:59 pm |
  14. faith

Observer
    Yes. EVERY pregnant woman, child, baby and fetus on the face of the earth TORTUROUSLY DROWNED by God.

define TORTUROUSLY

April 22, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • midwest rail

Is there a nice way to drown someone ?

April 22, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
    • faith

Well aside from the fact that many of them were like water-boarded when then got stuck in trees and junk.

April 22, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
    • Akira

Oh, yeah, drowning is gentle. Right.

April 22, 2013 at 9:08 pm |
    • biggles

Nah. U morons.

2. Akira baby, no one said u hated nobody, moron.

Dodo is dodo, the filthy devil.

April 23, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • Akira

Biggles, tootsie pop pookie pumpkin pie, you just called me dodo in a post above these.

So, yes, faith did tell me I hated the Jewish people, because she replied right after my post with "why do you hide your hatred for the jews on this forum, but broadcast it where you won’t feel threatened", and I was the only one talking to her on that thread at that point.

Care to change your post? It doesn't appear that I'm the moron, fool, et cetera; I can follow a thread and I know the function of the reply button.

When one writes in a confusing manner, one should expect questions, and when the replies are equally irrational, it is not the fault of the reader, but the author, who fails to communicate thoughts in a cohesive, understandable way.

April 23, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
  15. biggles

Well, excuse me. I thought Adolf acharya would appreciate the publicity.

April 22, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
  16. Bull In The Heather

More quality satire from Faith. Love it!

April 22, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
  17. Vance

....And still no one cares..

April 22, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
  18. Ryan

Are unicorns mentioned in the bible? No, when you read a bible that accurately render the Hebrew. Nine times the scriptures refer to an animal by the Hebrew term re'em'. The aurochs (wild ox or bull) seems to have become extinct by the 17 century. So the bible does not support the idea of unicorns as renowned in legend. It does draw an accurate picture of the wild bull that existed in biblical times and down into the not-too-distant past. Instead of believing a lie that Richard Dawkins writes in his books about unicorns in the bible, do a little research so that your not so stupid.

April 22, 2013 at 8:48 am |
    • Saraswati

Didn't I see this exact same post yesterday?

April 22, 2013 at 8:49 am |
    • ME II

@Ryan,
      So, you're saying that the current interpretations of the Bible are incorrect?
      Good to know, thanks.

April 22, 2013 at 9:57 am |
    • ME II

@Ryan,
      Sorry, that should probably be "translations" not "interpretations".

April 22, 2013 at 9:58 am |
    • Akira

Well, of course both versions of the KJV does mention unicorns, so maybe that is the book Dawkins referenced; as many Christians still use the KJV, perhaps Dawkins wasn't so far off the mark. Perhaps not everyone is as stupid as you think. Perhaps a little research of your own is called for.

April 22, 2013 at 5:31 pm |
  19. faith

therefore, let's discuss the most special, the most talented, gifted people in world history, those most unique of all god's people, indeed the people he chose to introduce us to his son, the jews.

April 22, 2013 at 12:23 am |
    • faith

from which seminary did craig m lyons graduate dottie?

April 22, 2013 at 2:00 am |
  20. Roscoe

Mourn? Nonsense.. Every atheist I've ever met have all been selfish , nihilistic monsters...

April 21, 2013 at 8:09 pm |

Lol.

April 21, 2013 at 9:43 pm |
    • The real Tom

How many atheists do you know, Roscoe? I doubt you have met many and those you have met probably never bothered to engage you in enough of a conversation to warrant your assessment. And have you ever met any believers who are selfish? If not, it would suggest you don't know very many believers, either.

April 21, 2013 at 10:20 pm |
    • faith

"The point is this. Alchemy is not supernatural as you say. It is just a science where different forces are used. The main driving force is the sun. Do you believe the sun has no effect on the below? What then is Spring about? Do you believe also that the moon has no effect? Dew is the next use in nature. What is dew about, moisture, and does it have an effect? Alchemy is a system where these forces are used to acomplish a task. I told you, it is a process similar to making compost, but it is taken much further. Can compost be made? Is that chemistry? is that supernatural? Let me tell you this one thing. Mercury, messenger of the Gods. The explanation is this. Mercury is actually dew or vapor. It in the air, likea cloud, absorbs something from the lights, moon and sun, which in the past were seen as Gods, and when it condenses and feeds the below, changes were noted. So, mercury, the messenger is vapor that had been in contact with one of the lights and then condensed and fed the below. Lastly, it is matter and shape. Surly you have to admit shape was important in the past. PHI is everywhere. All I mentioned is done within an oven that is designed after PHI. That is how nature Works. Can you not see that? Is this a bunch of facts that mean nothing to any of you? Perhaps, I could mention it in a different way. "The Light is Good." That is Genesis, what did they mean that the light was Good? It is about the same light, sun and moon. Why is it Good? It is because it maintained the below, earth. They just found another use. It is like a cloud and rain, same thing. Rain is full of nitrogen, and when it rains things grow. The ancients studied nature. Osiris is a result of that study. God, through organized religion is a result of that study. All your terms, spirit, Soul, resurrection is from that study. The religion of Osiris is from that study. Astrology as it is defined is from that study. Almost everything that is spoken of in that comic book is from that study originally. I can, and probably should, make a comment or two on every page of that hysterical piece of garbage. all of it is bologna.

all i said is all about nature. You yourself have probably worked in some way in the past with some force in nature to do something. Have you grown a Garden? Have you ever made compost? Is that chemistry? Is that supernatural? Consider all that is being talked about, jesus and Osiris, Horus and all linked to the sun and the stars. Is that not all that I have commented on? Why is it that my comments are seen as some kind of remark that has no ties to anything. That it has no meaning. Try to remember one thing. All of it is about trying to prove Jesus is a Myth. Try also to remember that all of it is linking Jesus to Osiris and astrology, yet, none of it is explained as to where it all came from originally. Why is it that I have said, I found what it all is based on "Originally" and it is "Supernatural" and so disreguareded? Now I want to say just one more thing about it. All of it is based on one thing, and that one thing is a process, 16 months long, that is tied to and explains everything we have talked about, and, it is the explanation that explains everything discussed. It is the information that Sir W. Budge said must exist, but he feared was lost.! Now consider one more thing. alchemy is not explained. By that I mean, there is 37 different series allegories by person, all very famous in the past, and I can explain all of them, and tie them to all that total moron, me, am talking about. No one else but me in the world can do that. Now if that is considered supernatural, then i guess I just don't have the ability to say it any clearer. So what I purpose is to go page by page and explain what it is tied to Originally. If i do it for most of the book, would that be enough to show that perhaps i have found an explanation never given before, but it is the One Explanation. Why? if it was not, then any of you could easily prove what I am saying is wrong. What your saying is not proof of anything. You use words that show you do not understand how nature works, and you don't understand what ancient Egypt was about.

Consider this one last thing. Not only shape, heat and light and vapor, Sacred Geometry and shape, they also used and found the Music scale, the vowels also. Now, were they doing that to learn how to sing and speak? or was there more to it. They also used magnetics. Look to – code 144- It is an indepth explanation of the Emerald Castle. How they lifted 100 ton blocks of stone. It all has to do with a pyramid, magnetics, and how to use the force in a way to eliminate gravity. No, we can't do it but I think we soon will be from what the study shows. But what the study also shows is that my explanation is valid, and much of it is the same! So you see, the problem here is that none of you have any idea about the past of Egypt. You can't explain any of it as myth if you don't know what it was based on! That is the whole problem of osiris and Jesus. You think it was a made up story and myth. It was not. It is based on what they called, 'The magic of Egypt" as discusssed in the Gnostic gospels. We call that same science, alchemy. None has been explained. All of it is the base of what they were about. Yes, Jesus is tied to it as was Osiris, but Jesus spoke of it as did the Alchemists, that makes him more than a myth! Only the Select Few ever knew this Science. The myth makers as you see him or them, would not discuss secrets that would have them killed also.

GUESS WHO?

April 21, 2013 at 11:03 pm |
    • Joe

You pretty much wrote a book on here (a stupid book, like the garbage that Dawkins writes) and you made no sense at all! #justwasted10minutesofmylifereadingyourstupidcomment

April 21, 2013 at 11:28 pm |
    • Daniel

Spoken like a true muslim roscoe

April 21, 2013 at 11:45 pm |
    • laststonecarver

@faith,
      E. Wallis Budge transliterations, of the AE Book of the Dead – Is that is what you are talking about?
      – Every picture tells a story – don't worry about the language of the AE –
      Comparison is a helpful key in determining the meaning of the glyphs –
      Keep in mind 4 major influences – pre-Hyksos, Hyksos immigration, Grecian and Roman – (and even Bonaparte's army
      Also keep in mind preconceived religious notions, and how they can corrupt objectivity – (like Bishop Landa and the Maya)
      If you are religious, you will perceive in that fashion – if not religious you may find other treasures of wisdom
      – there is much wisdom waiting to be re-animated –
      Find the Eye, that is described in the Carrying of the Eye ritual –

April 23, 2013 at 11:29 am |
    • laststonecarver

@faith,
      (and even Bonaparte's army taking target practice on the sphinx) – like the taliban and the buddhist shrine

April 23, 2013 at 11:33 am |