home
RSS
Opinion: Don't scapegoat a faith for bombings
A Muslim woman attends an interfaith vigil for September 11 victims in Boston last fall.
April 21st, 2013

Opinion: Don't scapegoat a faith for bombings

Editor's note: Farhana Khera is the president and executive director of Muslim Advocates, a national legal advocacy organization dedicated to promoting freedom, justice and equality for all, regardless of faith.

By Farhana Khera, Special to CNN

(CNN) – Like so many Americans across the country, I was shocked when I heard of the attacks at the Boston Marathon. A part of me immediately traveled back to when I was cheering runners myself as a student at Wellesley College, the midpoint for the marathon, a time when such dangers as bombings never crossed our minds.

Boston is an indelible part in the personal history and identity of those who have lived or attended school in the city. That someone had detonated bombs at an event that symbolized unity in a place known for its rich diversity and as a birthplace of our nation's freedom was heartbreaking.

FULL COMMENTARY
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Islam • Massachusetts • Opinion • Violence

1. HeavenSent

This is what happens when you let atheist lies abound – http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/22/trial-begins-for-officials-accused-in-obama-clinton-ballot-petition-fraud/

FYI with love. God Bless.

Amen.

April 22, 2013 at 3:44 pm |
    • mama k

What does this have to do with atheism?

April 22, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
    • bostontola

Too bvad heaven didn't send you sense.

April 22, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
    • Optimus

HeavenSent is what happens when a traumatic brain injury occurs during childhood.

April 22, 2013 at 4:16 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

Yes because as we all know, fox has never just contrived to blow anything out of proportion for political reasons. After all, they're the "fair and balanced" news network right?
      /sarcasm

HeavenSent truly is a pathetic little bigot.

April 22, 2013 at 4:16 pm |
  2. Chad

@Honey Badger Don't Care! "Science builds planes, religion flies planes into buildings."
    @ME II "Planes don't kill people, religion kills people?"

====
    Both statements inaccurate enough as to not serve a purpose.

- The God of Israel created the universe
    - Science is the study of what God created
    - The God of Israel created humans with the ability to learn and develop the resources that He has made available
    - Islamic radicals fly planes into buildings

===
    reminds me of:

One day a group of scientists got together and decided that man had come a long way and no longer needed God. So they picked one scientist to go and tell Him that they were done with Him.

The scientist walked up to God and said, "God, we've decided that we no longer need you. We're to the point that we can clone people and do many miraculous things, so why don't you just go on and get lost."

God listened very patiently and kindly to the man and after the scientist was done talking, God said, "Very well, how about this, let's say we have a man making contest." To which the scientist replied, "OK, great!"

But God added, "Now, we're going to do this just like I did back in the old days with Adam."

The scientist said, "Sure, no problem" and bent down and grabbed himself a handful of dirt.

God just looked at him and said, "No, no, no. You go get your own dirt!"

April 22, 2013 at 3:44 pm |
    • .

OH GOD, Chad's starting again.....

April 22, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
    • meifumado

Really? Really Chad?

Are you kidding me?

This has to be one of the most moronic things I have ever read in my entire life.

Box, We need your services. This one is ready for storage.

April 22, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
    • .

Saraswati

This one's kind of a classic. Chad's definitely going with #19 in full bloom. It's kind of hard to say on #2, since he's so inaccurate. It's more like a mix of #2 and #3 mixed with #11. We are of course looking at #s 12, 14, 15 and 16. Numbers 10 and 22 are always present so it's hardly worth mentioning them.

===============================

Gospel of Chad:
      (Updated list derived from history of Chad conversations.)

Atheism:
      1. All atheists agree with everything Stephen Hawking or Richard Dawkins say, even if it is unrelated to atheism. Hawking and Dawkins disagree on free will, however, but you should ignore this conflict or any atheist who says they disagree.
      2. All atheists agree with one another on everything even if it has nothing to do with atheism. See #1 for models from which you can derive all their beliefs.
      3. The definition of atheist includes anything that any atheist I disagree with believes or anything I feel like tossing in there. Ignore any definitions in pesky places like dictionaries and philosophical encyclopedias.
      4. If one atheist somewhere on the internet said something, then, since all atheists agree with him/her, I can use that randomly selected example as an argument to address all other atheists.
      5. The definition of atheism includes not just materialism but strict deterministic materialism. Non-believers who might be Buddhists, believe in probabilistic physics, see consciousness as prior to the physical world, believe in, say, witchcraft aren’t really atheists.

Free will:
      6. All people who use the term “free will” really mean the same exact thing by that term, which matches my personal use of the term “free will” (unless backed into a corner, then I just declare all other meanings irrelevant)
      7. Fatalism and determinism are the same thing. It has been pointed out to me that historically these terms have been used with different meanings, but I find it more convenient to make up my own definitions, as with atheism and free will.

In fact, I brilliantly argued “If a person is a determinist, how in the world does deterrence even come into the picture? Determinists believe in an ever marching set of deterministic outcomes based on an existing set of antecedent conditions. Those conditions march back to the origin of the universe, no way to change the past, so no way to change the future. (On April 17, 2013 at 6:20 pm)

After reading a bit more about fatalism and determinism I decided to change my tune to a claim that determinism leads to fatalism (and to pretend this was what I was saying all along). I’m sticking to reading easy pop philosophers, though, and selective websites on the topic as anything more complex makes my head hurt. I have read snippets from a couple of websites now so that ought to put me on par with people who’ve read dozens of books on the topic, understand neurobiology and have written on both the philosophical and cultural aspects of free will and people’s belief in the topic. Oh, yeah, I know what I’m talking about!

8. A determinist cannot believe that humans can change. This would, of course, mean that nothing can change. Which would mean…oh…crud…better put my head back up my ass.
      9. A determinist cannot believe in punishing people for crimes. This is because…well…it doesn’t matter. Just keep repeating it.

Telling lies:
      10. It is ethical to lie so long as it promotes Christian beliefs.
      11. Speaking of telling lies, a really good way to do this is to rephrase what your opponent says and then keep repeating the misquote in hopes that he or she will get bored and leave your lie as the last statement. Then you win. You can do this either by rewording as a supposed paraphrase or pulling lines out of context and reordering them. God really loves this and gives you extra endurance to sit at the computer all day and keep repeating it.
      12. One way to use this super endurance to your advantage is to keep posting the same questions over and over again even after they’ve been answered 50 times. Just pretend they haven’t been answered and act self-righteous about it. It’s really cool if you can ask this same thing on multiple threads and then claim it was never answered forcing people to waste time on the same thing over and over and over.
      13. In particular don’t forget that whatever someone says you can respond with “What investigation have you done into…”. Especially good is to ask what investigation was done into the truth of the God of Israel. When the non-Christian comes back to ask how much research you did to prove other gods aren’t real answer “I don’t need to do any because I proved the God of Israel is real and that negates all other gods”. When asked how you proved that repeat the words “empty tomb” over and over until divine light shines on the souls of the heathens.
      14. When they refuse to play your game or you don’t like the answer add some sarcasm, but use an emoticon to soften it so they’ll know your snide remarks are all in good fun.
      15. Consider asking completely nonsensical questions that can’t even be understood, let alone answered. Best yet include something the person didn’t say as a premise. For example, you might ask an atheist opponent “You say you like murdering small children on Wednesdays, could you explain how this fits with your beliefs about string theory?” Then when your question is ignored accuse the person of avoidance and make up wild hypotheses as to why they are avoiding you.
      16. Above all else keep asking questions while avoiding answering any yourself.

Science, math and psychology:
      17. If one scientist says something that backs me, then I can assume all scientists agree with that statement.
      18. If atheist scientists say something, even if it is the view of the majority of people in that science, it should be ignored. See #10.
      19. Atheists are ruled by confirmation bias. I am free of it – it’s just great luck that everything I read and all the “data” around me confirm my strong religious convictions. See #18 on ignoring anything else.
      20. Infinity = all finite numbers according to the Chad. Thirty or forty years of constraint is the same as eternal torment.
      21. Rehabilitation and deterrence are the same thing. Yep…convincing a drug addict not to use drugs in case they are shot dead and getting them off the addiction would be the same by my wondrous Chad logic.

General truths about the CNN belief blog:
      22. All non-believers are, by definition, idiots so you can use illogical arguments and they’ll just fall for it.
      23. If I post a quote that has a few key words in it from our discussion I can claim it backs my point even if it actually says the exact opposite thing from what I’m claiming. Atheists, as mentioned above, are too dumb to notice. Best yet is to post a link or reference a book which actually says the opposite of what I’m saying and just assume no one will look at it.
      24. There is a huge mass of fence sitters out there who are eagerly reading CNN blog comments in order to decide whether or not to believe in God.
      25. I will personally save all those mentioned in # 24 because I, Chad, am super smart. I know this because I get away with all the above mentioned lies and manipulations. Sometimes people think they are pointing these things out but they really aren’t. Or the stupid atheist masses aren’t reading them anyway.
      26. Phrase everything as if it’s a lecture so you look like you know what you’re talking about. See #22 about atheists being idiots and #23 about people not reading anything you post you’ll see that the silly atheists will fall for it every time. In particular they won’t look back to the earlier part of the discussion to see how I’m contradicting myself. This is very well aided by another tactic:
      27. As soon as you make an ass of yourself break the conversation into a new thread. That way all the newcomers (see #24 on how they are waiting to have their souls saved) will not bother to read back and see how ignorant you are.
      28. If someone points out to you that citing Wikipedia is not an adequate source for the discussion at hand you can always find a good undergraduate philosophy paper to cite instead.
      29. Never question another Christian no matter how incorrect or offensive their position.
      30. Just remember that you can define a term any way you want and you are always right!

April 22, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
    • (EA) FÓSILES, FOSILIZACIÓN Y PALEONTOLOGÍA.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw1cRg9oKTc&w=640&h=390]

April 22, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
    • meifumado

lol

April 22, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
    • hal 9001

Good afternoon, "Chad". It's good to see you continuing your development of masochistic apologetics.

April 22, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
    • ME II

@Chad,

Second, your statements inaccurate:
      - You think, "The God of Israel created the universe"
      - Science is the study of natural phenomena.
      - You think, "The God of Israel created humans..."
      - Islamic radicals are not the only ones to fly planes into buildings, granted the most infamous events were done by Islamic radicals.

As for you trite story, how this:

The scientist walked up to... well... ummm...

April 22, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
    • Rachel

@Chad, Good point and a good joke. :)

April 22, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • LOL!

Chad always has to bring out Rachael to butter up their posts it's hysterical.

April 22, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
    • R.M. Goodswell

- The God of Israel created the universe

These cultures were much more advanced, and all predate the tribes of Israel by a good measure.

April 22, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
    • sam stone

"The God of Israel created the universe"

More conjecture from Chard

April 22, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
    • JMEF

Is it not better to simply mock Chad/Rachel than to try and engage its schizophrenic personalities, even its jokes suck.

April 22, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
    • Not Rachel

ME II,
      "As for you trite story, how this:

The scientist walked up to... well... ummm..."

The perfect squelch.

(Sorry, I hate to sound like @Rachel, but you deserve some applause here.)

April 22, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
    • Chad

@ME II "First, I was joking. You've heard the saying "guns don't kill people, people kill people". Obviously, I don't think religion literally kills people. It may help them rationalize the killing they do, but it doesn't actually kill people."
      @Chad "actually what I was objecting to was the fact that "religion" was not specific enough a term.

=====
      @ME II "- You think, "The God of Israel created the universe" – You think, "The God of Israel created humans...""
      @Chad "actually, the God of Israel really did create the universe..

======
      @ME II "Islamic radicals are not the only ones to fly planes into buildings, granted the most infamous events were done by Islamic radicals."
      @Chad "Who else has flown planes into buildings?
      We should also not forget the sustained campaigns of suicide bombings..

April 22, 2013 at 4:38 pm |
    • Chad

@R.M. Goodswell "But couldn't be bothered to head to China, or the Americas (Olmecs – and perhaps the Mayans) – even as close as Egypt."
      @Chad "not sure what you are referring to? Christian doctrine claims that the Jewish nation was created to deliver the Messiah, since then the Christian message of salvation thru faith in Jesus has been preached around the globe..

===
      @R.M. Goodswell "How does that work anyway? how does the Jewish creation story trump that of civilizations in existence thousands of years before the Jews?"
      @Chad "because its real.."

April 22, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
    • Honey Badger Don't Care!

Chard,

You first have to provide evidence that your claim that your god exists is true. Until you do that you have no premise to work through.

April 22, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
    • ME II

@Chad,
      "actually, the God of Israel really did create the universe.."

So you claim.

"Who else has flown planes into buildings?"

Joseph Stack, 2010, Austin, Texas for one.

April 22, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
    • Chad

@ME II "I'm just saying that radical Islam does not have a monopoly on fanatics committing atrocities."
      @Chad "A. One person killed in the Stack attack on an IRS building vs 2,977 in the WTC attack is a virtual monopoly.. Unless you have others, Islamic extremests have killed 99.97% of all people killed by crashing planes into buildings.

April 22, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
    • JMEF

Chad/Rachel
      The god of Israel is a myth and may only exist on our little rock earth and not the other three trillion planets, or so, that may support life. Jesus on a stick may only be a local scam, not universe wide.

April 22, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
    • Chad

@JMEF "The god of Israel is a myth "

=>what is your evidence for that statement?

April 22, 2013 at 5:21 pm |
    • .

"@JMEF "The god of Israel is a myth "

=>what is your evidence for that statement?"

See #10, 11, 12 above, this statement has been repeated before....and answered numerous times.

April 22, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
    • Chad

As before, I really dont think anyone considers any of these proof that the God of Israel doesnt exist:

"Christians havent proved the God of Israel exists"
      "the concept of God of Israel is stupid"
      "The God of Israel isnt real"
      "You're a moron"

April 22, 2013 at 5:32 pm |

@Chad

Still with the same assertions and dodges. When will you realize that just stating you're right doesn't make it so. The funny thing is, you criticize others for supposedly doing that. Talk about hypocrisy.

April 22, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
    • .

""Christians havent proved the God of Israel exists"
      "the concept of God of Israel is stupid"
      "The God of Israel isnt real"
      "You're a moron""

See #10, 11, 12, 13, 15, & 16 above.

April 22, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
    • ME II

@Chad,
      "A. One person killed in the Stack attack on an IRS building vs ..."
      "B. Stack's actions were motivated by anti-govt, anti-IRS sentiments, NOT religious reasons."

You asked.

"Who else has flown planes into buildings?"

I answered.

Do you now want to move the goal post to 'who killed the most by plane for religious reasons?'

meh...

April 22, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
    • JMEF

Chad
      You may want to look up the definitions of belief and faith and not twist them as you usually do. it really is quite simple. Some thing that can not be proven, I am a direct descendant of Zeus, prove that I am not, what investigation have you done to deny my ancestry?

April 22, 2013 at 5:49 pm |
    • R.M. Goodswell

Chad,

Follow me here for a sec....:))

the Bible pretty much lays everything out from the creation up to Christ..right? except Humanity was already up and running – meaning Farming, keeping domestic animals and building permanent towns around 9000 bce (in the fertile cresent) – some 5500 years before the tribes of Israel arrived on the scene.... and surprise! ... no mention of Yahweh, or God,etc ... and that's just in the ME region....

And then theres the rest of the globe.... Absolutely no mention of God until his salesmen landed at various points in history.

pretty weak showing for the Creator – wouldn't you say?

April 22, 2013 at 5:52 pm |

@ME,

that's fine, we're agreed that Islamic extremests have killed 99.97% of all people who have been killed by crashing planes into buildings.

======
      @Goodswell "...pretty weak showing for the Creator – wouldn't you say?..."
      @Chad "that's the old "I would have done it differently" attack.
      Which I usually counter by asking "well, what would you have done differently? Remember, you cant obviate free will"

so.. how would you have done it differently?

======
      @JMEF "You may want to look up the definitions of belief and faith and not twist them as you usually do. it really is quite simple. Some thing that can not be proven."
      @Chad "Your definition of "faith" is VASTLY different than the biblical definition of it.

==============
      Biblical Faith:
      A. Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
      B. Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

==============
      Faith has essentially two accepted usages in the English language; atheists In this case discard ‘A’ over ‘B’, then attack Christians in that context only, making a further critical and purposeful redefinition of the word “faith”, claiming that proof obviates it.
      Secular usage: “faith” is an accepted concept in modern law. “Good faith”, fiduciary duty is ingrained in contract law, and nowhere does it require a lack of knowledge about the object in which faith is being expressed. “I have faith in John, he will do what he says”, it does not require that one has no knowledge of the true existence of John. Indeed it is nonsensical to have a faith in something you don’t know exists.

Biblical context: “ And without faith it is impossible to please God Hebrews 11
      Which faith is being discussed? A faith for which there is no proof? Does proof obviate faith?
      Throughout the bible it is crystal clear that people, whom are commended for their faith, had ample proof of the existence of God PRIOR to their faith being commended.
      Abraham commended for his faith (Hebrews 11) had ample proof (God speaking to him).
      Moses commended for his faith (Hebrews 11) had ample proof (multiple miracles in Egypt, God speaking directly to him, etc, etc).
      In fact, NO WHERE in the bible is definitive proof of the existence of God EVER shown to obviate a person’s faith. Quite the contrary in fact, God promises to reveal Himself, and make Himself known to you if you search after Him. The biblical pattern is ALWAYS the same, God reveals Himself, then asks for a person’s trust in Him. That is biblical faith.

There is simply no biblical support for proof obviating faith, or the faith that God desires requires a lack of proof as to His reality.
      None..

====
      @JMEF "I am a direct descendant of Zeus, prove that I am not, what investigation have you done to deny my ancestry?
      @Chad "Thanks, but I already have that one on my list of invalid responses.. See #2.

Typical responses to "what evidence do you have that the God of Israel is not real"
      "1. "Christians havent proved the God of Israel exists"
      2. "why do you Mr. Christian reject unicorns/other religious/santa clause/Islam/Q'uran/Mormonism/whatever"
      3. "the concept of God of Israel is stupid"
      4. "The God of Israel isnt real"
      5. "You're a moron""

April 22, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
    • .

As mentioned before see #10, 11, 12, 13, 15, & 16 above.

April 22, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • Pete

"That atheists attempt to make this case is clear evidence of their utter lack of familiarity with the bible, and their complete willingness to suspend objective critical thought when it comes to criticizing Christians."

LIE – more lies from the xtians – 230!

April 22, 2013 at 6:37 pm |
    • R.M. Goodswell

"that's the old "I would have done it differently" attack.

It isn't the old anything.....

from start to finish its all garbage...every bit of it.
      BTW ...the egomaniac sold as God would be livid over Buddha, driven to a world flooding temper tantrum in fact.
      And he definitely wouldn't miss the chance to put all his creations under his thumb.....Isnt that what both Christians and Muslims are pushing for right now? why play it out...what would be the point?

April 22, 2013 at 6:56 pm |
    • Science

Can you read CHAD ?

Learning is fun with facts.......................... and facts work when teaching children.

Atheist Prof. Peter Higgs: Stop calling Higgs boson the ‘God particle’

Professor Peter Higgs said recently that there is no God and so people should stop referring to the theoretical partial that
      bears his name as the “God particle.”

Pope praises science, but insists God created world updated Thur October 28, 2010
      Stephen Hawking is wrong, Pope Benedict XVI said Thursday – God did create the universe. The pope didn't actually mention the world-famous scientist, who argues in a book published last month that the laws of physics show there is no need for a supreme... \

Science

Heaven is 'a fairy story,' scientist Stephen Hawking says updated Tue May 17, 2011
      By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor The concept of heaven or any kind of afterlife is a "fairy story," famed British scientist Stephen Hawking said in a newspaper interview this week. "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when...

April 22, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

Awww and Chad completely ignores his own hypocrisy. Not that it's surprising. Acknowledging his hypocrisy would require Chad to be honest, and that's not going to happen any time soon.

April 22, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • Saraswati

Both social conservatism and religiosity are negatively correlated with education level. People who broadly understand history, culture, psychology and the physical sciences tend to have a more complete understanding of the data and higher and more consistent standards for evidence in these areas.

April 22, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
    • ME II

@Chad

So we're agreed that radical Islamists aren't the only ones to fly a plane into a building.

April 23, 2013 at 9:49 am |
    • ME II

@Chad,
      "Atheists claim that faith and knowledge of, or evidence of the existence of that which faith is being placed, are incompatible. This is patently nonsense in both current secular usage and biblical context."

You are equivocating on the definition of "faith". Yes there is a secular usage of the term, but that usage usually rests on the person or thing actually existing. which, for your God, is yet to be shown. Just because you claim your God exists and that you have a secular "faith" in a supposedly real God, that does not make your God any more real.

April 23, 2013 at 10:02 am |
  3. Chad

It would be wrong to scapegoat an entire faith for acts of violence if the persons responsible for doing the act plus those who approved of the act were a small minority of the faith.

Such is not the case for radical Islam, where entire countries are populated with approvers of this kind of act.

I think it is reasonable to ask of Islam why such an extremely high percentage of your faith endorses such acts of violence.

Why?

April 22, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
    • Box

Regular storage procedure. The same as the other food. The other food stopped coming. And they started.

April 22, 2013 at 3:39 pm |
    • meifumado

It's called brainwashing, and you suffer from it as well Chad.

April 22, 2013 at 3:44 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

April 22, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
    • Larry

Christians are not innocent of violence either. Violence by extremist Christians in the United States has been responsible for attacks on Jewish centers, Muslim mosques, attempts to poison municipal water supplies, bombing of abortion clinics, shooting of abortion providers and violence against homosexuals. Oh and don't forget Timothy McVeigh.

So while you're pointing fingers remember there is always 3 pointing back at you.

April 22, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
    • Chad

@"Cheesemakers "Christian history is full of approved violence ....often against other Christians.
      @Chad "example? Are you referring to the crusades?

===
      @Larry,

no one is going to disagree with you that there are nut case Christians out there, but
      A. They are an extremely small minority
      B. The Christians who approve of their actions is an extremely small minority
      C. The same can not be sad (in either respect) of radical Islam

April 22, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
    • LOL!

"A. They are an extremely small minority
      B. The Christians who approve of their actions is an extremely small minority
      C. The same can not be sad (in either respect) of radical Islam"

That's why Bush told the world his God told him to invade Iraq. Yup...that's such a small minority (NOT!) and a large majority of people supported him.

April 22, 2013 at 4:06 pm |

@Chad

To your original question, it's because they're in power in those countries. The same thing happened when Christians were in power in respective areas. (i.e. Crusades, Inquisition, Witch Trials, etc.)

April 22, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
    • Muneris

Christians do not condone violence. There is a cost to protecting freedom and that freedom ought to be protected.

April 22, 2013 at 4:17 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Chad,

You really want examples of CHristian violence? Lets start in the early years where Christians were fighting other Christians over the "nature" of Christ. The fact that you ask for examples either makes you deceitful or ignorant.

April 22, 2013 at 4:19 pm |
    • JMEF

Chad
      Simply amazing how you deluded Christian freaks that can deny the history of the religion. Onward Christian soldiers onward onto war and if any aboriginal gets in your way just slaughter them, hypocrite.

April 22, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
    • Chad

@Cheesemakers "You really want examples of CHristian violence? Lets start in the early years where Christians were fighting other Christians over the "nature" of Christ"

=>yes, examples please.

I suspect you'll just name call and refuse to provide examples.. the reason being the they are extremely small levels of violence.. Even the crusades "only" killed somewhere in the neighborhood of ~200k people.
      Now, dont get me wrong, even one person killed "in the name of Christ" as it were, is to many. But in the grand scheme of things, it doesnt really amount to much in terms of percentages.

April 22, 2013 at 4:48 pm |

@Chad

Oh are you now taking the Bill Deacon approach? Ok, so what percentage would it need to be in order for it to be considered "valid"? Does it need to be broken down by denomination? Does the weapons involved make a difference? What's your criteria for a "minority"?

April 22, 2013 at 4:52 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Chad,

"Lets start in the early years where Christians were fighting other Christians over the "nature" of Christ"

=>yes, examples please.

Since you asked, let's start with the Thirty Years War and it's 8,000,000 casualties. Pretty big numbers for the 17th century.

Not as specifically about the 'nature of Christ' as conflicts accelerated by monophysitism v. dyophysitism in the Byzantine Levant in the first half of the first millenium but still about the nature of Christianity.

April 22, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

CHad,

You miss the point completely...again. The reason the violence perpetrated by Christians was allowed to happen is because they were in the majority in those countries. Humans have a history of the majority committing violence against the minority and Chrisitianity is not immune from that behavior there are plenty of examples of Christians endorsing violence or discrimination on others, do you call out other Christians when they do that? It is one of the reasons the founders of this country agreed that seperation of church and state was necessary. The reason you believe in the very Christian dogma you do is a RESULT of Christian violence.

April 22, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
    • Chad

Dont get me wrong, ANY violence that has been perpetuated by Christians in the name of Christianity is wrong.

Were is still going on today, it would receive the condemnation it deserved.

Radical Islam is a clear and present danger, needing to be dealt with now.

April 22, 2013 at 5:23 pm |

@Chad

You think Christians aren't still violent?

April 22, 2013 at 5:24 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"The Abrahamic religions are a clear and present danger, needing to be dealt with now."

***fixed***

April 22, 2013 at 5:29 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2n7vSPwhSU&w=640&h=390]

April 22, 2013 at 5:33 pm |

@Hawaii, @Cheese

if you are trying to make a case that the level of violence perpetrated by Christians today comes anywhere near, and I mean ANYWHERE near, the level of violence from Islamic radicals.. You simply are unaware of current events.. Or your hatred of the God of Israel is blinding you to the clearly obvious.

April 22, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
    • Patrick

"if you are trying to make a case that the level of violence perpetrated by Christians today comes anywhere near, and I mean ANYWHERE near, the level of violence from Islamic radicals.. You simply are unaware of current events.."

Chad you have to include the Iraq war as a Christian war since the president of the US declared God told him to invade that country and as a result 112,000 – 122,000 innocent civilians were killed. American Christians have blood on their hands, just like all other religions in the world. Christians are not exempt. You are also forgetting Christians are quietly killing Muslims in the US that are not reported but it is happening. Hatred is ugly regardless of the religion it's masked by to justify it.

April 22, 2013 at 6:51 pm |

"George Bush"...

=>why is it that atheists seem to be overwhelmingly liberal democrat? Not just democrat, but extreme left? Why is that?

Christians are seemingly split pretty evenly between democrat and republican..

April 22, 2013 at 7:07 pm |

@Chad

Why would the amount matter in the least? Tell you what, I'll give all my money to the poor, and work merely to do that, I'll volunteer at soup kitchens, and give my home to anyone in need of a place to sleep. One day out of the year I'll go out and beat someone to a bloody pulp. By your own logic, you should not pay any attention to the one person a year, since the amount of bad I'm doing is negligible in comparison.

April 22, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
    • Observer

patrick-God told Pres. Bush to invade Iraq? can you post a link to the original quote?

April 22, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
    • Patrick

""George Bush"...

Christians are seemingly split pretty evenly between democrat and republican.."

So is Bush's close friend an liberal democrat too by your poor logic? A close friend of the president, Commerce Secretary Don Evans, said Bush believed he was called by God to lead the nation at that time.

April 22, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
    • Observer

patti- that is not a direct quote. Stop spreading lies to suit your agenda.

April 22, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
    • Patrick

"Stop spreading lies to suit your agenda."

It's not a lie.

April 22, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • .

@Observer

Stop stealing other peoples handles troll.

April 22, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • Observer

Patrick-Making a false statement as you have done makes you a liar.

April 22, 2013 at 7:41 pm |

@Observer

Educate yourself.

April 22, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • Observer

That is not a direct quote. Stop being deceitful.

April 22, 2013 at 7:48 pm |
    • .

Oh look Chad stole another handle again.

April 22, 2013 at 7:49 pm |

@Observer

So you need a direct quote to believe anything was said? I guess you believe nothing in your bible then lol.

April 22, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Chad,

I agree that Islam is more overtly violent....now...., I thnk it has more to do with a vast amount Islamic countries are either theocracies or soft theocracies with little opposition to keep them in check. CHristianity benefits from Western secular society and freedoms that hold them back from Christian religious zealotry....but they are trying.

April 22, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
    • hal 9001

Your assertions are correct, ".". Stealing handles and debating in an obviously dishonest manner are key characteristics of "Chad"'s modus operandi that help define his masochistic apologetics.

April 22, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
    • Chad

George Bush told a Palestinian delegation of this.. :-)

really..

April 22, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
    • Chad

@hawaiiguest "Why would the amount matter in the least? "

=>It is extremely odd to have a group like that so perfectly alligned in political orientation.

IF, as atheists are ALWAYS asserting, the only thing atheists share is a disbelief in gods, then one would certainly expect to see the demographics of atheism closely align with that of the population as a whole.

however, that is most definitely not the case. Obviously there must be a reason. What is it?

April 22, 2013 at 9:00 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Obviously, Chad, we are not chosen by your God. Actually, we may lack some feature in our minds, perhaps it's even biological, that allows the flagrant self-deception that afflicts people who are true believers in religion. Do you pity us, Chad?

April 22, 2013 at 9:06 pm |
    • Chad

@TTTOO "Actually, we may lack some feature in our minds, perhaps it's even biological, that allows the flagrant self-deception that afflicts people who are true believers in religion. Do you pity us"

=> definitely not biological, and "pity" is not a word I would use. I clearly, clearly, clearly remember my attitude towards Christians when I used to mock and ridicule them.. All I can tell you is that my mocking (like yours now) was not based on any understanding. I simply did not know what I was talking about.

so, my hope for you is that you'll start to investigate (really investigate, not just look for something that you can post) Christianity. Do it for the same reason I and so many others did (to disprove it). What you'll find is vastly different than what you think is in there.

April 22, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
    • The real Tom

There are plenty of posters here who are just as familiar with the bible as you are, Chad, yet they don't believe. How do you explain that?

April 22, 2013 at 9:25 pm |

@Chad

Wow talk about dishonestly changing the subject. You make a comment about current Christian violence, I ask why the amount would matter, and you come back with political leanings? Are you even trying to make coherent points anymore?

April 22, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
    • Saraswati

Many researchers are studying the genetic basis of religiosity. Which according to at least one theory is now favored due to higher fertility among the religious:

April 22, 2013 at 9:30 pm |

@Tom

The standard Chad answer is that they obviously haven't "investigated" enough since they came to a different conclusion, or they don't accept Chad's interpretation, therefore they are biased and just want to hate god.
      Trust me, there's no point going down this road, because as far as Chad is concerned, he's right, and anyone else that disagrees is intellectually dishonest, ill-informed, or anti-Christian.

April 22, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
    • Saraswati

I actually used to believe Chad when he said stuff like this:

"Do it for the same reason I and so many others did (to disprove it). What you'll find is vastly different than what you think is in there."

But after seeing his numerous other fibs I think he probably made up the whole story about ever having not believed. I know atheists who became religious and religious people who became atheists and they always have a genuine understanding of the other side, which Chad clearly does not. I suspect he made up this background story just as yet another attempt to bolster his weak position.

April 22, 2013 at 9:37 pm |
    • midwest rail

Prepare for an emoticon filled reply.

April 22, 2013 at 9:41 pm |
    • The real Tom

HG, I agree. But what is Chad's point in being here and arguing? Does he expect or wish to convert people, or is that simply a ruse?

Maybe he's just so bored he has nothing else that interests him other than being on here.

April 22, 2013 at 9:46 pm |

@Tom

Just my opinion, but I think it's reinforcement of his commitment. Perhaps he thinks that if he can hold on to his belief through any means, he'll believe it more.

April 22, 2013 at 9:50 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

And interestingly enough, I point out another of Chad's highly dishonest bullshit, and he disappears again. Typical.

April 22, 2013 at 9:51 pm |
    • The real Tom

Of course. I wonder what he's like in real life. Is he as much of an ass as he is here? Do people at work hate him for his smarmy personality? Is he married? What kind of a woman would have him?

April 22, 2013 at 9:54 pm |
    • Observer

@Chad, Hats off to you for captivating your ardent followers. Kudos!

April 22, 2013 at 9:54 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Chad has repeatedly dodged questions regarding any personal relationship he may have with his God. Lacking reinforcement from his God in the form of a real dialog, or anything interactive, he has become a true defender of the Bible, desperately seeking approval that never comes.

April 22, 2013 at 9:57 pm |
    • ME II

@Chad,
      "I clearly, clearly, clearly remember my atti[]tude towards Christians when I used to mock and ridicule them.. All I can tell you is that my mocking (like yours now) was not based on any understanding. I simply did not know what I was talking about."

Perhaps, this is part of the disconnect in discourse between you and non-believers on this blog. You assume that everyone else's lack of belief is based on, or arrived at, by the same logic, or lack there of, that you used.

I would guess that that is not the case.

April 23, 2013 at 10:24 am |
  4. kevobx

How do you know the Bible is truth, it always comes to pass. (John 10:9) When death comes to the door, what will the proud people say? (Proverbs 1:28 ) How can one be proud of death, or even taking great pleasure in the death of the wicked? That is so satanic (Ezekiel 33:11)

April 22, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF BULLSH.IT

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS SATAN YOU CRAZY BASTARD – STOP POSTING QUOTES FROM YOUR CRAP BOOK ALL OVER THE PLACE

April 22, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
    • meifumado

What are you doing?

You make no sense.

April 22, 2013 at 3:19 pm |
    • G to the T

Sorry but stories written by men year/decades after the fact who already knew the "prophecies" (many of the propheicies supposedly mentioning a suffering savior are referring to Isreal and/or the current time, not some distance event) do not consistiute "fuliflled". If I write a story today about someone having predicted 9/11 – it wouldn't be very persuasive now would it?

April 22, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
    • Box

Overwhelming, am I not?

April 22, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned."

April 22, 2013 at 3:42 pm |
    • Austin

Kevobx, why do you take pleasure in calling out ethnic evils?

Blessed are the Chessesticks .......nice quote swinger.

April 22, 2013 at 5:29 pm |
  5. clarity

God is real. Jesus is the answer. Atheism is a delusional form of stupidity and stubbornness

April 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
    • Hans

"Atheism is a delusional form of stupidity and stubbornness"

You are not a Christian and you bring shame to Christ.

James 4:11-12
      Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

James 1:26
      If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

Ephesians 4:31-32
      Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

April 22, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • .

@Hans

They also stole another users handle.

April 22, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • *

"They also stole another users handle."

The "Holy Spirit" inspired him/her to do that!

(watch these posts disappear pronto, in case you have any doubts about who the comment-terrorist is)

April 22, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
    • .

"The "Holy Spirit" inspired him/her to do that!"

So now you're a liar on top of it. LOL!

April 22, 2013 at 3:22 pm |
    • meifumado

Please explain how atheism is delusional.

April 22, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
    • mama k

Good luck, meif, in getting the troll who steals a handle from answering.

April 22, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
    • meifumado

Always worth a shot.

April 22, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
  6. Honey Badger Don't Care!

Science builds planes, religion flies planes into buildings.

April 22, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
    • ME II

Planes don't kill people, religion kills people?

April 22, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Human do not kill people, but they are killed by hindu secular ism, criminal self center ism, of human , in denial of truth absolute GOD, foundation of consti tuion of USA.

April 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF BULLSH.IT

GO TO HELL MOHAMMAD A. DAR

April 22, 2013 at 3:19 pm |
    • Dippy

Take that space out of CONSTlTUTION.
      And take that dot out of BULLSHlT. Come on, show us you're smart enough to do this.

April 22, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
  7. kevobx

Why is thou the white man afraid to speak about the Caucus mountains? Deny the truth and the Father denies you. (Hebrews 11:38) All of these religions are devil worshipping for their gods (Deuteronomy 32:37), while the Atheists have become a bargaining chip for the Satanists to rule the world. (Micah 4:5)

April 22, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
    • Huebert

Is this supposed to be a joke or are you just crazy?

April 22, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
    • Box

Welcome Humans! I am ready for you.

April 22, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

Satan is just as made up as Yahweh. both are fairy tale fictional characters. get over it.

April 22, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
    • sam

What's on the menu today, Box?

April 22, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
  8. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

youtube.com/watch?v=0Ke4SFdO4YE

April 22, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
  9. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

True face of hinduism racism, hindus, criminals just not attack other minorities, but one of their own, classified as low cast, untouchable by hindu secular ism, filthy self center ism, by faith. product of their hindu secular ism, criminal self center ism, father of hinduism terrorism against humanity, called Evolution.
    youtube.com/watch?v=0Ke4SFdO4YE

April 22, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
    • meifumado

Among a man's many good possessions, A good command of speech has no equal. Prosperity and ruin issue from the power of the tongue. Therefore, guard yourself against thoughtless speech.

April 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm |
  10. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

true face of hindu secular s, criminal self centered by faith, foundation of hinduism, terrorism against minorities
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn7m3HsKN5c&w=640&h=390]

April 22, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
    • meifumado

Wanna see some vids of Muslims attacking Coptic Christians in Egypt?

There's a ton of them.

April 22, 2013 at 3:22 pm |
  11. kevobx

The ignorant are asleep, simply put culture itself is a cult. Grace & truth is Christ. *Jeremiah 12:7 I have forsaken mine house, I have left mine heritage; I have given the dearly beloved of my soul into the hand of her enemies. *1st Thessalonians 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. *2nd Thessalonians 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: *Isaiah 66:4 I also will choose their delusions, and bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not. *Psalm 109:17 As he loved cursing, so let it come unto him: as he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him. *Proverbs 1:24 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; *Revelation 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. *Nehemiah 13:2 howbeit our God turned the curse into a blessing.

April 22, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
    • Box

Fish, and plankton. And sea greens, and protein from the sea. It's all here, ready. Fresh as harvest day. Fish and sea greens, plankton and protein from the sea. And then it stopped coming. And they came instead. So I store them here. I'm ready. And you're ready. It's my job. To freeze you. Protein, plankton...

April 22, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

If God lies, how can you know that anything that you book says is actually true. God will cause us to believe lies so that he can damn us to hell. Nice god you have there.

April 22, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
    • meifumado

Get em Box!

Glad your bac.k =D

April 22, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
  12. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Any one forcing any one on gun point to commit hinduism, denial of truth absolute, is a hindu secular, criminal self centered , hindu terrorist, by faith, and no one is worst in this regard, than hindu racist by faith, followers of hindu secular ism, criminal self center ism, called hinduism, denial of truth absolute.

April 22, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF BULLSH.IT

ISLAM IS BULLSHIT, DOG BOY! TRUTH ABSOLUTE IS YOU ARE A CRAZY MORON.

April 22, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
  13. Doc Vestibule

What about the Manmasi National Christian Army and the National Liberation Front of Tripura, who force Hindus to convert at gun point and are known to encourage the murder of Hindu children?
    Those people are simply following Saint Augustine's doctrine of 'cognite intrare' – or 'lead them in' which justifies and encourages torture, vandalism, forced conversions and using violence to convert others in the name of Christianity.
    How about The Army of God and other groups who kill doctors in the U.S. ?
    What about white supremacist Christian terrorist groups like the Aryan Nations, Aryan Republican Army, Phineas Priesthood, and The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord?

What of the 3rd Reich?
    "My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. ...Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross."
    - Adolf Hitler, speech on April 12, 1922

Any proposition that relies on faith can and will be twisted by unscrupulous individuals for their own gain. Its just far too easy to manipulate those who are willing to suspend critical thinking and accept something without evidence.

April 22, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
  14. Doc Vestibule

It would appear that the Mad Moderator is back.
    Several posts have disappeared from teh comment section again.

April 22, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
  15. OH MEIN GOTT

Having read their book, I have to say that it has no choice but to be blamed to a degree. I say to a degree because the people that act on the commandments given in that book only need it as an excuse. In other words, they already want to do it in the first place. The belief only gives them the nudge over the line of insanity. The fact anyone that practices the stupidity of the book itself and claims it is not a violent cult must not have bothered reading it. It clearly commands followers to be violent.

April 22, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

It takes a person of knowledge to understand book of truth absolute, it is not of a hindu denire of truth absolute, essance of the book, to pass his hindu ignorant judgement by his hindu secular ism, filthy self center ism, may good for believer of hindu Evolution, monkey ism, a hindu, illiterate, but not for a person literate in truth absolute of a matters.

April 22, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
    • OH MEIN GOTT

I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say. You are all over the place.

April 22, 2013 at 3:33 pm |
  16. Thoth

"Don't scapegoat A faith"....

Ok, how about we blame 'faith' in general. That's not a scapegoat, it's reality. Faith in age-old creeds generates division, judgment, and hate.

April 22, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

It is faith in hinduism denial of truth absolute GOD, foundation of American consti tution of USA, by hindu secular ism, criminal self center ism, faith of hindus , criminals cause of mayhem, a truth full, seeker of peace Islam, Shalom on earth has nothing to do with your hinduism, absurdity in hindu Atheism, criminal self center ism.

April 22, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
    • Thoth

@'ISLAM yadda yadda yadda"

actually, the underpinnings of the US Const.itution draw heavily from the more socialist ideologies of Locke and Montesquieu...

April 22, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
  17. palintwit

Bristol Palin would do well to run in a marathon against various other farm animals.

April 22, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
  18. Bootyfunk

she's right not to scapegoat Islam - Christianity is just as bad. luckily, christians don't follow the bible very closely these days. the bible says to kill all g.ays, non-virgin brides, disobedient children and anyone working on sundays. sounds like all that would be left is straight, adult males that don't work the weekend. and how about the KKK, an american christian terror organization? easy to look critically at someone else's religion without looking critically at your own.

April 22, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
    • Big Shiz

Atheists are just as bad. People are people and the ones in charge are usually corrupt. There are way more Christians and Muslims and atheists that are good. Personal beliefs are not a reason to hate someone.

April 22, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
    • Saraswati

Big Shiz,

"Personal beliefs are not a reason to hate someone."

It kind of depends what someone's personal beliefs are. If their beliefs are that you should be put to death for being gay, for instance, I think at least a strong dislike is not out of the question. These kids had posted videos saying just that, by the way.

April 22, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Big Shiz,

Personal beliefs are not a reason to hate someone but I would say personal beliefs get far too much unwarrented respect in this day and age, most people in this country show disdain if someone claims to know that Elvis is still alive. But the claim that a man 2000 years ago was the actual son of god is given so much respect that to DENY it is grounds for alienation. Rediculous beliefs have a huge impact on people and it is an issue that is all but ignored.

April 22, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
    • Suq Madiq

"Rediculous" as in Red State idiocy...

@BigS – "Atheists are just as bad. People are people and the ones in charge are usually corrupt."

Thats the beauty about atheism, there are no religious leaders in charge, so you religious morons can Suq Madiq....

April 22, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

difference between religion and atheism? atheism has no book telling them acts of evil are divinely inspired. there is no atheist doctrine telling us to kill g.ays and non-virgin women, for instance. atheism just says there's no god. that's all. if you want an atheistic philosophy to compare to christianity, try humanism. humanism is superior to christianity in every way. much more ethical. no orders to kill anyone.

Humanism > Religion

April 22, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
    • Big Shiz

Most Muslims dont believe gays should be put to death,also atheists like Mao killed millions. And when it comes to personal beliefs all that matters is you don't push them on other people and your not hurting anyone. Now this concludes another session of me being more evolved and intelligent than you atheist extremists.

April 22, 2013 at 3:46 pm |

@Big Shiz

Are you really putting that forward as your argument? Tell me, how does what Mao did reflect on atheism? What tenet of atheism did he use to justify all his killing?
      You say you're more "evolved and intellectual", but you're not actually presenting anything other than non-sequiturs and Red Herrings.

April 22, 2013 at 4:21 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Present your theory Hawaii

April 22, 2013 at 4:32 pm |

@Bill

My theory on what? On why you're unable to actually feel that your criminal organization should be held responsible for all the harm it's caused?

April 22, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

on anything other than deriding other people. I've been listening to you a long time and I've never heard you take a stand for anything objective. Only throwing stones at others. I doubt you are willing to stick your neck out for anything other than your own impotent superiority.

April 22, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

April 22, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
    • Saraswati

@Bill,

"To me, that is the intellectual problem with atheism. They aren't for anything, only against."

Would you argue that an a-Unicornist Catholic wasn't for anything, only against? Atheism, like a-Unicornist is just a very narrow slice of who someone is that tells you nothing else about him or her. An atheist Unitarian, humanist, utilitarian or Buddhist may very well be FOR all sorts of things and you just haven't bothered to ask.

April 22, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Bill Deacon,

"The only thing they can agree on is that they are not for something

Ummm yes?

It's not a faith Bill – we're not all singing from the same choirbook. No one says we have to monolithically agree on anything – other than a disbelief in deities.

April 22, 2013 at 4:44 pm |

@Bill

oo throwing stones. What a nice choice of words taken from your immoral book of death on how to punish and kill those who don't follow what you say. I've taken a stand against the imposition of any religion over all others. I have taken a stand for our constitution and our laws. Something you are incapable of doing since it would apply to your masters as well.
      What I find most interesting about this particular criticism though, is that you and a few other on this site are so incapable of defending your own position, that you need to insist that anyone who disagrees must present an alternative, probably out of some deluded thought that without the other person saying what they think, then you don't need to actually defend any assertions.
      Pathetic. Now, run along like the worthless little coward you are. Why don't you go to your church and tell all the people who already agree with you how you "stood up" to the mean little atheist who won't accept your flat assertions from your immoral book of death.

April 22, 2013 at 4:45 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

Dill Beacon
      Atheists seek the truth, and we know we cannot find it in man made religions, especially the one your evil empire, the RCC is.

April 22, 2013 at 4:45 pm |

@Bill

"To me, that is the intellectual problem with atheism. They aren't for anything, only against. Once you try to pin them down on a set of principles it's like trying to nail mercury. They scatter. The only thing they can agree on is that they are not for something."
      This is what people have been trying to get in your thick fucking head for months now. Atheism isn't a religion, a philosophy, or a doctrine. It is the rejection of your flat assertion that a god exists. The only issue now is that you seem to think this is a bad thing. I guess in another 6-10 months you'll finally get it.

April 22, 2013 at 4:47 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"And when it comes to personal beliefs all that matters is you don't push them on other people"

No, that is not all that matters and saying such tripe shows a lack of critical thinking, not evolution. I agree with you that beliefs should not be forced but to imply that false beliefs and unproven beliefs are equal to true beliefs is abusrd and ignorant.

April 22, 2013 at 4:48 pm |
    • oOo

Why in the world do you think something has to be pinned down, Bill? Why is it necessary to be in one little hate club or another?

April 22, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

That's funny Bill because I always compared talking to a Catholic priest to 'nailing Jello to the wall'.

April 22, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
    • Science

Interesting......................and there is Billie and chad above ?

April 22, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
  19. faith

using the flow of electrons in the magnetic field in a certin fashion. have you ever heard of the Coral Castle?

godpig is on a scientific jag

April 22, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
    • Science

Hey faith ...........did someone steal your broom today ?

April 22, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
  20. faith

tell us godpig, how did you eliminate gravity? my, aren't u special

April 22, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
    • faith

let us see verified, peer reviewed, repeatable proof, achyara. we r waiting, my pretty

April 22, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
    • Akira

Unsure what you are talking about; are you speaking to anyone in particular?
      You seem confused. Are you staring your own religion?
      Clarify.

April 22, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
    • Akira

*starting your own religion.

April 22, 2013 at 1:26 pm |