home
RSS
Catholic ads in NY: Jesus was 'the original hipster'
April 24th, 2013

Catholic ads in NY: Jesus was 'the original hipster'

By Pallavi Reddy, CNN

(CNN) - Ads around Brooklyn bring a new meaning to Joan Osborne's lyrics, “What if God was one of us?”

In a new ad campaign launched by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn this month, people in the borough and neighboring Queens have a new way to view Jesus: “The Original Hipster.”

The ads feature the bottom half of a man - meant to be Jesus - wearing robes with a pair of dirty red Converse sneakers peeking out from the bottom.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

In a news release, the diocese refers to Seth Meyers' joke on “Saturday Night Live” that Converse sneakers are why more Catholics are returning to the church, and says the marketing campaign is “showing a cooler and more welcoming side of the Catholic Church.”

Brooklyn's Williamsburg neighborhood, near Queens, is considered to be the "unofficial East Coast birthplace of hipsterism," as a 2012 article in Forbes put it.

Monsignor Kieran Harrington said he understood the importance of relating to the people of the area.

“Jesus appears (in these ads) like people of the L train,” he said. “What is a hipster anyway? Someone who stands against the (mainstream) culture. Jesus stood against the culture.”

CNN Belief: The Curious Case of the Christian Hipster

Ten months ago, the conversation started about creating such a campaign to let people know there are a variety of different faces who attend the church.

Harrington says these particular ads were a collaboration with the ad and PR agency Ruckus. Now they are found in places where the church doesn't usually advertise, including bus stands, restaurants and gyms.

The ads have generated online buzz in Salon, the Gothamist and other sites, and traffic on the diocese's website has gone up 400%, Harrington said.

As for what kind of ads to expect from the diocese next, the monsignor said: “It’s for you to find out.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Jesus • New York

soundoff (1,086 Responses)
  1. Rafael

April 25, 2013 at 5:43 am |
    • faith

good point. many, many invisible skydaddys were more influential than god's son

"Rafael
      If hipster means going against the mainstream culture, I can think of a whole bunch of historical figures that came before Jesus and went against the mainstream. Some even ended up winning and not getting pinned to a cross; making a bigger difference in the world they lived in while still alive. Christians use the name of Jesus to manipulate people to come to their cult, hence why he's now a hipster. In reality, he was nothing but someone, amongst many, that went against the Roman Empire and lost miserably. Got tied up and nailed to a cross like countless thousands have been by the Romans. The rest is nothing but fantasy, created and manipulated by human imagination fit their needs. Wake up, people."

April 25, 2013 at 8:04 am |
  2. Jesus

I am here, but you would never know it. I was recently in the hospital, and all who tested me were found to be wanting. I blessed each and every one. But no one would believe me if I told them the truth, for you are all too self centered to accept me, now. Be good to each other. Love one another, and tell people that you love them every single day. This is the only solution. You will know it as you exercise your free will. You will feel that love not leaving you, but filling you up. It is the only way you will survive.

April 25, 2013 at 5:14 am |
  3. Science

Hey Glenn................is the devil cult part of your religion ?

April 25, 2013 at 5:04 am |
  4. faith

"to be surrounded by such mental prowess is indeed a big fat joke. they r collectively the dumbest idiots of all time, but they b funny! hysterical! they believe their own bvll shvt!"

don't get me wrong. they deserve hell. they belong in hell. they desire hell. they long to be condemned to the fiery pit. we can't help them. it is their decision, their conscious choice. and they r the funniest bunch of crybabies in history

April 25, 2013 at 4:54 am |
    • faith

"If you knew me then you would know I am certainly not innocent of much. Ha ha ha
      But seriously I really wanted to hear you say that there is No God instead of attacking something that as you believe is not there with your various posts. I would enjoy a real and courteous conversation about the subject with you if you are game.
      I can appreciate you being angry about religion I am too. Moral superiority is a nasty thing. Be it religious or secular.
      A little about me is that my faith in a creator is not based so much religious dogma but rather a personal relationship. I know I know to you it may sound like an imaginary friend but to me it is very real.
      While I cannot prove to you the existence of my creator what makes you so sure they do not exist? Or are you of the more maybe they do and maybe they don’t doctrine?"

have u talked to russell?

April 25, 2013 at 5:06 am |
    • Science

Mourning faith ..................the word of fire aye ?

And the devil cult ?...........caused by religion ?

April 25, 2013 at 5:15 am |
  5. Science

Chad and his book of nasty..........and the talking snake ?

April 25, 2013 at 4:45 am |
  6. biggles

Lol girls

April 25, 2013 at 4:33 am |
    • biggles

Y did u kill Jesus Christ? No one?

April 25, 2013 at 4:34 am |

anybody see this thing? "Bootyfunk
      @faith
      if god was there and did nothing – he is EVIL and not worth worshiping. only a monster would stand by and watch innocents be killed when he could stop it with a snap of his fingers. also, he should make children bullet proof so school shootings won't ever happen again. also, god murdered EVERYONE on earth but a single family – Noah's. he drowned babies, the disabled, the infirm, the elderly, etc. ALL men women and children. how can you worship someone that drowns babies and calls it divine justice? if there is a god, he is a 1000x worse than Satan, who only killed 10 people in all of the bible. god drowned millions."

that is the funniest thing i ever saw. i can't stop howling

i worship chalie manson, u moron

he killed a few too, u know

idiot

April 25, 2013 at 4:49 am |
  7. Bob1god

go to bed kids!

April 25, 2013 at 4:02 am |
    • Bob1god

Hipster, yeah, that's the ticket!

April 25, 2013 at 4:10 am |
  8. Bootyfunk

@glenn

i'm an atheist. why do you ask?

April 25, 2013 at 3:39 am |
  9. Bootyfunk

jesus, if he existed at all, was just another crazy cult leader. only the most arrogant person ever to exist would actually claim to be the actual son of a god. he wasn't. if he lived, he was just a human. sorry, there's no such thing as magic.

also, jesus says a number of great things about love - but he also does/says some pretty gnarly things too. jesus supported slavery and told slaves to obey their masters - not exactly loving and compassionate. jesus is destined to murder 2/3 of the people on earth in the End Times. he opens his daddy's seven seals: death, plague, famine, war, etc. his opening of the seven seals kills babies, too. not exactly sure how he justifies infanticide.

if jesus did live, he certainly wasn't deserving of any sort of worship. he was a nutjob cult leader, very much like david koresh or any of the others. nothing special at all.

April 25, 2013 at 3:25 am |
    • faith

and no matter how many times you spew this silliness, it remains pure garbage. the fact that you can't come up with legitimate reasons for hating god proves how truly stupid u r.

sorry. wish i could help u

April 25, 2013 at 3:40 am |

@faith
      all that's obvious is you can't find a way to debate me so you call my argument silly. how is slavery 'silly'? how is murder 'silly'? zombies like you can't come up with anything, so instead of taking my points on, you just say "i don't have to argue with that guy cause he's a do-do head." your argument is childlike.

address my points or sheddup.

April 25, 2013 at 3:43 am |
    • faith

if i could stop laughing at u dodo

"Bootyfunk
      @faith

address my points or sheddup."

April 25, 2013 at 5:09 am |
    • faith

adolf believed doofus. u idiot

April 27, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
  10. faith

"Colin
    He was also strangely absent when terrorists flew two planes into the World Trade Center, when Hitler murdered 6 million Jews in WW II and in every other single man made or natural disaster in all of recorded history.
    Our capacity as a species for self delusion is quite remarkable." another nazi god-hating boob. god was absent? prove it. lol
    moron. your capacity not to use your imagination is astounding. your time is coming

April 25, 2013 at 3:09 am |
    • Elwood P. Dowd

faith,

Have you met my 6'2" imaginary rabbit friend, Harvey?

April 25, 2013 at 3:14 am |
    • faith

i am proud to interact with the geniuses of Nazi god hating intelligentsia. they are the only ones to have looked carefully at seemingly contradictory positions found in the bible, the problem of pain, etc. and to have discovered all the answers. as they know and say with assurance, no xtard has ever done that. all xtards accept everything they r told and believe it w/o hesitation.

to be surrounded by such mental prowess is indeed a big fat joke. they r collectively the dumbest idiots of all time, but they b funny! hysterical they believe their own bvll shvt!

April 25, 2013 at 3:18 am |
    • faith

my god my god where are you?

April 25, 2013 at 3:20 am |
    • Ungodly Discipline

faith, there are many kinds of stupid and you are the very special kind we reserve for retarded christians.

April 25, 2013 at 3:21 am |
    • faith

i wish some disgusting nazi god-hating atheist would appear who could present a true argument for their utterly ridiculous garbage that regurgitate night and day. come on! there must be 1 nazi who can think

April 25, 2013 at 3:27 am |

@faith
      if god was there and did nothing - he is EVIL and not worth worshiping. only a monster would stand by and watch innocents be killed when he could stop it with a snap of his fingers. also, he should make children bullet proof so school shootings won't ever happen again.

also, god murdered EVERYONE on earth but a single family - Noah's. he drowned babies, the disabled, the infirm, the elderly, etc. ALL men women and children. how can you worship someone that drowns babies and calls it divine justice? if there is a god, he is a 1000x worse than Satan, who only killed 10 people in all of the bible. god drowned millions.

April 25, 2013 at 3:28 am |

Bootyfunk

Would you call yourself an atheist or agnostic?

April 25, 2013 at 3:32 am |
    • Bootyfunk

btw, faith, nazis were christians. do your homework. hitler mentions god many times in his book, mein kampf. nazi officers wore belt buckles that said "With God's Might" or something like that. the only idiot here is you. do some homework.

April 25, 2013 at 3:34 am |

atheist. why?

April 25, 2013 at 3:35 am |
    • faith

it is understandable why they hate witches, sorceresses and the enchantress.

April 25, 2013 at 3:36 am |

@faith

oh, did god kill the wizard babies? yes, lots of 2 month old enchantresses. how do you justify the murder of babies?

April 25, 2013 at 3:37 am |
    • faith

y did u murder god's only child?

April 25, 2013 at 3:42 am |

lol @faith
      keep dodging the issue. your god is a baby-killer. it's right there in the bible. why would you worship a baby-killer?

April 25, 2013 at 3:45 am |
    • biggles

Hitler said there was a god. There ya b.

April 25, 2013 at 4:31 am |
  11. Elvis

Jesus is dead and I don't feel so good myself.

April 25, 2013 at 2:02 am |
    • Al

Too much meatloaf?

April 25, 2013 at 3:04 am |
  12. Glenn

Redzoa

Thanks for your response as well. I was busy writing back to Siram before I notice what you had said.
    I think my replies to Siram would be similar to what I would say to you if you care to respond to those.
    Regards

April 25, 2013 at 1:46 am |
    • Glenn

Whoops posted this in the wrong spot

April 25, 2013 at 1:48 am |
    • Potato

Guided by your imaginary god to post in the wrong place? Gosh, those silly gods! Always kidding around and killing everyone!

April 25, 2013 at 1:59 am |

Potato

Ha ha ha ha good one.
      I know you are itching for someone to reply to you so I will. No it wasn’t God that guided me just a fat finger. Ha ha ha ha

April 25, 2013 at 2:04 am |
    • Potato

Your god made your fat finger fuck up. What a fun time you must have! Everything good is not your fault but is thanks to your god and all fuck-ups are because you were being clumsy and graceless. Yeah. That sure makes sense. Yup.

April 25, 2013 at 2:21 am |

Potato
      Why are you so angry?

April 25, 2013 at 2:26 am |

@Glenn
      god made him that way...?

April 25, 2013 at 3:47 am |

Bootyfunk
      And why do you believe God would do that?

April 25, 2013 at 4:36 am |

lol @glenn
      kinda thick? it was a joke. no such thing as an invisible sky fairy. look up 'sarcasm'.

April 25, 2013 at 4:45 am |
    • Glenn

And I thought you were going to say it is because God was really mean and nasty. LOL

April 25, 2013 at 5:03 am |
  13. Potato

There's probably some priest fapping over that poster right now in the vatican. Those shoes are chopped off and that's just a bit of fabric, not a robe. No feet. No legs. No knees. Nobody there. No god exists but they will help you with your children. Yep.

April 25, 2013 at 1:22 am |
  14. Colin

Please choose your favorite Catholic superst.ition from those below. For the one you choose, please say why it is any more ridiculous than the rest of the garbage Catholics swallow and give an example of a non-Catholic belief which is just as stupid.

(a) Grocery store bread and wine becomes the flesh and blood of a dead Jew from 2,000 years ago because a priest does some hocus pocus over it in church of a Sunday morning.

(b) When I pray for something like “please god help me pass my exam tomorrow,” an invisible being reads my mind and intervenes to alter what would otherwise be the course of history in small ways to meet my request.

(c) You can pray to a dead person for something. This dead person will read your mind and then ask God to fulfill your wish. If this happens twice, this dead person becomes a saint.

(d) A god impregnated a virgin with himself, so he could give birth to himself and then sacrifice himself to himself to negate an “original sin” of a couple we now know never existed.

April 25, 2013 at 12:22 am |

Colin
      Examples of non-Catholic beliefs that are just as stupid

a) There is no God and I hate him – Typical atheist tenant
      b) I don’t believe in faith because I have to have proof of something before I know it exists. However I believe the entire universe happened with a big bang – No proof required
      c) I don’t believe in faith blah blah blah… However I belief that life sprouted from non-life. Once again no proof required
      d) I don’t believe in faith blah blah blah… However I belief that science disproves the existence of God.

April 25, 2013 at 1:06 am |
    • Simran

Answers from an atheist:
      1. I find no evidence to believe that there is a god, so how can I hate someone which doesnot exist?
      2. I donot believe that the entire universe began with a big bang, however, this is the most plausible explanation for the origin of the universe as far as scientific enquiry goes. And no one ever said no proof required, let's just wait for some brilliant mind to unravel it.
      3. I donot believe life sprouted from non-life. Again recent evidence supports the concept that life can originate from non-life. Science however, doesnot support that some omnipotent being infused life on earth.The idea of god creating woman from man's rib is simply ridiculous!
      4. Science doesnot delve into imaginary concepts. I have never read any mention of the word god at any point of time in any scientific study. But people with a good understanding of science do often come to the conclusion that we do not need an imaginary being to understand the mysteries of nature!

April 25, 2013 at 1:18 am |
    • redzoa

@Glenn – Not speaking for Colin; just wanted to briefly respond:

a – The position that there is no God is a reasonable position based on the lack of positive evidence for a God. As atheists don't believe in God, when they "rant" they are targeting the various inconsistent and/or abhorrent behaviors ascribed to a given deity. In other words, I don't believe in the God of the Bible, but even if He existed, I could never accept a deity who directly and indirectly kills children. Yes, I do "hate" child killers and, unlike theistic apologists, I simply don't bend over backwards to "apologize" for them. In fact, I've come to liken these apologists to those suffering from "battered spouse syndrome." Still, on further reflection, I believe a better analogy would be a prisoner who concedes to the "affections" of their significantly larger sociopathic serial killing cellmate, lest they suffer the consequences of refusal. But I digress . . .

b – There is evidence of the Big Bang, e.g. the red shift.

c – Similar to b, there is a significant body of empirical evidence, growing each year, providing plausible natural pathways to the requisite biomolecules required for early life.

d – Most atheists recognize that science cannot disprove God anymore than it can disprove leprechauns, invisible unicorns, or flying spaghetti monsters. What science can provide is evidence which directly contradicts various specific religious claims, e.g. special creation, resurrection, etc. What science, or more specifically training in scientific investigation, can also do is demonstrate a superior and directly applicable means by which to investigate reality. It's this latter methodological naturalism which instills skepticism not only of others, but of one's own understanding; something which appears absent from most theist's analytical framework. In other words, science can never "disprove God"; however, an understanding of science and its evidentiary requirements generally renders supernatural beliefs untenable.

April 25, 2013 at 1:33 am |
    • fred

Colin
      Regarding point d) how is it you know Adam and Eve never existed? You are in good company in that C.S. Lewis thought likewise yet he admitted there was no solid evidence either way.

April 25, 2013 at 1:38 am |

Siram

1) Glad to hear you don’t hate God. I find that so many so called Atheist do to which I am constantly amused.
      2) So you don’t believe in the big bang or you kind of believe in it or you are just waiting to see what some brilliant mind comes up with? If you are stuck with the last two cases then is any explanation possible regardless of it being plausible to you. Of course if you pick the first one then you have belief in something which you cannot prove do you not?
      3) Not sure there is much real credible science to support life from non-life. However assuming it eventually happens then we are back to the old story of the Atheist vs. the Priest.
      Atheist “we made life from a pile of dirt so this proves there is no God”
      Priest “ah but you have to start with your own dirt”
      4) As with your first point I am glad to hear you say this. Most Atheists I know spout off how science disproves there is a God. I find this to be mostly said by prominent Atheist philosophers who I do not think understand science very well to make such statements.
      By the way thanks for the response. I have only one more question for you. Do you believe that being an atheist means you know there is no God or are you more of an agnostic? The reason I ask is because without proof either way aren’t you left with belief?

April 25, 2013 at 1:40 am |

Redzoa

Regards

April 25, 2013 at 1:47 am |
    • Potato

What is the original 'sin'? Being intelligent. That is viewed as the primary violation against this crazy being who prefers his creatures to walk in nekkidness and total ignorance of anything like social mores. That is the sin you think Jesus died to save you from – being intelligent and having morals instead of living in the jungle like animals.
      The whole Genesis story is one of the author's envy at how animals seemed to have it all, including s3x whenever they felt like it, and drew the conclusion that we must somehow have decided to become 'civilized' and left our paradise of a jungle and now cannot have s3x, etc., because we made a bad choice and were driven out by an angry god for presuming to think for ourselves in complex ways.
      A simple-minded author who yearned for a simple life of plenty like he imagined an animal must enjoy. An idiot, actually.

April 25, 2013 at 1:48 am |
    • redzoa

@Glen – I don't see anything to respond to in either 1 or 4; however, both 2 and 3 appear premised upon a requirement that a definitive position must be taken. Most atheists would respond that "We don't know" is the only honest answer to the question of first cause, but that nonetheless, there remains no positive evidence for the role of a deity and therefore, no reason to believe in one. Atheists will generally concede that anything is possible, but this is not a faith position any more than "We don't know" is a faith position.

Regarding the distinction between Atheism and Agnosticism, there is no simple consensus. There are those who profess "Strong Atheism" (i.e. We can effectively "know" there is no God) and I would agree that this position is akin to faith belief. However, the weaker varieties of atheism tend to overlap with agnosticism. Many atheists simply conclude God belief is unfounded due to the lack of supporting empirical evidence. This is distinguishable from claims of knowledge of "no God," because it's based on a (admittedly subjective) probability analysis. Unlike pure faith belief claiming God exists or God doesn't exist, this position is more like the reasoning that an antibiotic will work or not based on the empirical evidence of it previously working or not working in a given situation. It proffers a tentative conclusion consistent with what is known, reasonably accounts for what is unknown, but ultimately remains subject to further evidence. Still, I believe this weaker atheist position is distinguishable from strict Agnosticism, in that the strict agnostic doesn't attempt to reach a tentative conclusion because they've decided the conclusion is effectively unreachable. Having said this, I'm sure there's no shortage of atheists, agnostics and learned theists who will point out the deficiencies in my categorizations for you.

April 25, 2013 at 2:19 am |
    • tallulah13

I've never known an atheist to "hate god". However, I have heard many christians claiming that atheists hate god. I think the disconnect is with the christians.

April 25, 2013 at 2:35 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Glenn

a) There is no God but I hate your BS religion...it claims knowledge it does not have.
      b) Faith is pretending to know something you don't know, it is not a virtue, it is a crutch and a rationalization.
      c) I don’t believe in faith blah blah blah… However I belief that life is here and it's origins are yet to be known conclusively. Claiming a god did it is intellectually lazy and is an arguement from ignorance. 'I don't know' is a perfectly reasonable answer.
      d) I don’t believe in faith blah blah blah… However I believe that science has been able to explain many, many effects that humans historically have credited gods with. Science has never verified calimed supernatural causes (Voo Doo, magic, prophacy). Religion has NEVER been able to prove any of their calims....no religion...not once....hence it is more than reasonable to trust science as a way to understand the world we live in and completely unreasonable to trust religions baseless claims.

*****FIXED*****

April 25, 2013 at 2:39 am |
    • redzoa

"C.S. Lewis thought likewise yet he admitted there was no solid evidence either way." C.S. Lewis should have conferred with R.A. Fisher regarding the "solidity" of the evidence.

April 25, 2013 at 2:40 am |

Redzoa
      I would agree that a “we don’t know” position is not faith based. That being said to me the only logical position left for an atheist is one of objectivity and the allowance for all possible conclusions. Of course as you pointed out there is the issue of probability to deal with which I do not what to exclude or minimize the value of.
      By the way you are probably right in assuming someone will point out your deficiencies in or rather just their disagreement with your categorizations but it will not be me. Ha ha ha
      Thanks for your candid answers.

April 25, 2013 at 2:41 am |

@Blessed
      You have a lot to sort through
      First off while I am certainly not the person to be telling anyone about grammar (or spelling for that matter) I would point out that if you do not believe in God then you should type that word with a lower case g. Small point of little relevance I know.
      Well of course faith is pretending to know something you cannot prove that is the point. No one could ever prove to you the existence of God one way or the other. It simply wouldn’t be faith with proof.
      You and I are in total agreement in trusting science as a way of understanding the world we live in. I am an engineer and make my living using math and the research and experiments of scientists to do my job.
      However if you make a claim that there is NO God then I would say you most certainly have faith. To me saying I don’t know is the only logical stance for an atheist and I think that makes them more agnostic however redzoe made a good distinction between the different groups.

So which one are you? Sure there is no God or simply not sure one way or the other?

April 25, 2013 at 2:58 am |
    • Elwood P. Dowd

Glenn,

Doctor Sanderson: How did you end up calling him [your 6'2" invisible rabbit] Harvey?
      Elwood: Well, Harvey's his name!

You call your invisible god "God". That's his name.

You capitalize Zeus and Thor, don't you (and I don't imagine that you believe in them, right?)?

April 25, 2013 at 3:10 am |

Elwood

Excellent point… I do capitalize Zeus and Thor. See as I said I am not the person to be telling anyone about grammar.
      So why do atheists and agnostics sometimes type God using a lower case g?

April 25, 2013 at 3:15 am |
    • Bootyfunk

my favorite part is the talking donkey in the bible - it reminds me of Shrek! that movie is funny.

i also like when the guy spends 3 days in the belly of a whale - reminds me of Pinocchio.

i just love fairy tales!

April 25, 2013 at 3:32 am |

Bootyfunk

Would you call yourself an atheist or agnostic or of a religion other than Christianity?

April 25, 2013 at 3:34 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Glenn,

Apparently you did not notice, but I copied and pasted your above post and changed what I did not agree with. Hence the upper case "G" in 'god' was yours. If that was your little jab that I claim non-belief but really deep down believe, it was a sad attempt.

I used to believe because I, like so many others, was indoctrinated. I no longer believe because I am done listening to people claim to have answers they don't have, it is dishonest, irresponsible, immoral and can be dangerous I am glad you trust science, to a point, but when science is not able to provide an answer you insert god and like I said, that is lazy.

My point with faith is that it is claimed KNOWLEDGE Not opinion, not speculation....fact. That is dishonest...even if you believe it. If I have a jar of coins, we know there is either an even amount of coins or an odd amount. If we can't empty out the jar and count the coins there is no way to know for sure. Faith is claiming to KNOW the answer, if it was strictly framed as an opinion or a guess that would be fine. But it is not. Not only is it claimed as fact but to oppose that "fact" is blasphamy. Religion doesn't even like to be questioned. Religions don't make just one faith claim either, they make two. They not only say there is a god but they KNOW WHICH GOD is real. I don't claim that there is not a god, but I will argue that the Christian god is so absurd, immoral and contradictory that the chances of its existence is on par with Thor being real. If engineering used such a system of "knowledge" I would live in a cave, it would be safer.

April 25, 2013 at 3:35 am |

@tallulah

I think Bootyfunk is an atheist who hates God

April 25, 2013 at 3:39 am |
    • Bootyfunk

i think glenn is a christian that hates cognitive thinking.

April 25, 2013 at 3:46 am |
    • Bootyfunk

and Glen, i don't hate god. god doesn't exist. just like i don't hate the tooth fairy. i definitely don't like religion though - it's poisonous and actually does exist.

April 25, 2013 at 3:49 am |

Blessed

It was a little jab but as Elwood pointed out I do capitalize Zeus and Thor. Math is my strong point not grammar.
      Now to your points…
      Whoever has told you faith is claimed knowledge was lying to you or to themselves. I have faith in God but certainly no empirical proof that I could offer you, only my own personal beliefs and experiences. I might even say I have evidence but still no proof. My only real question to you is whether or not you have faith that there is No God or do you simply not know?

It usually isn’t science but belief in the unknown that they are using to explain themselves. Granted there is some evidence but simply no proof.

Don’t worry about living in a cave. All the equations I use have been rooted in scientific empirical testing. Furthermore and even more importantly (because I make mistakes from time to time) everything I design has a checker. You are in good hands.

April 25, 2013 at 4:13 am |

Bootyfunk
      You say you don’t believe in God however you attack him or her as the case may be? You have made statements like “if god was there” and “he is Evil”
      Obviously to you God is not there so why bother?
      Who are you so angry with?

April 25, 2013 at 4:19 am |
    • JMEF

Glenn
      Why does someone like you leave out the term deist when discussing gods? As a modern day deist I accept the term creator but doubt that it has any resemblance to any of the man made creation myths and may be explained eventually by the study of nature and the universe. I certainly do not believe in any deity that looks over my shoulder every minute of every day and intervenes in the affairs of man; none of the religions make sense to me other than being a blight and scam on the supporters of the faith. The history of the christian religion in particular belies the very teachings of the christ figure, although all religions are filled with contradictions that do not make sense.

April 25, 2013 at 4:23 am |

JMEF
      Good point. I suppose I leave out deism only because I know very little about it. One might argue that I also left out the spaghetti monster as Richard Dawkins talks about or polytheistic religions etc etc etc.
      I do not have any issue with deism or the belief in the spaghetti monster for that matter.
      This whole thing started with Colin asking a question about stupid Catholic statements. He asked if there were other stupid statements from non-Catholic groups. I answered and several posts later here we are. I did and got a whole lot of interesting answers. Some from very thoughtful intellectual people and other comments from some angry folks.
      It has been fun

April 25, 2013 at 4:35 am |

@glenn
      stop playing the doe-eyed innocent. i thought i said it pretty clearly, but i'll reiterate for you. there is no god. i'm not mad at something that doesn't exist. i'm mad at religion for all the misery it has and continues to dole out. there is nothing good in religion that can't be done without it. religion teaches people to turn their brains off, not to think - just obey. i'm upset about my fellow brothers and sisters being brainwashed by religion.

ALL religions are cults. when a cult is accepted by society, it becomes a religion. christianity was once a cult in the roman empire - but it became a religion once endorsed by the state. there is zero difference between cults and religion, aside from societal acceptance.

glenn, if your friend joined a cult, would you be upset?

April 25, 2013 at 4:43 am |

Bootyfunk

April 25, 2013 at 5:00 am |

@Bootyfunk

Dang I forgot to answer you. No I would not be upset if a friend of mine joined a cult just as I am not upset about my atheist friends

April 25, 2013 at 5:05 am |
    • Science

Hey Glenn................is the devil cult part of your religion ?

April 25, 2013 at 5:24 am |

@Science uh nope
      Anymore questions?

April 25, 2013 at 5:27 am |
    • Science

Wow Glenn....................devil going to get you !

Peace

April 25, 2013 at 5:38 am |

LOL@Science
      Thanks for the warning ha ha ha
      Peace back at ya

April 25, 2013 at 5:39 am |
    • SImran

Glenn,
      While you say " I find that so many so called Atheist do to which I am constantly amused."- it would be like I find so many theists hate the gods of other religions! Like Christians think the god of Islam is a devil and vice versa! The issue here would be of tolerance towards beliefs of others. There can be no generalizations made as to what atheist or particular theists do or think. Once we get over these petty issues, we can then converse with more conviction.

2) So you don’t believe in the big bang..... Well, I do not need to. I certainly am not going to live my life around the idea that there was a big bang. I do not have to go to a Big Bang temple to pay my allegiance, or dress up in a certain way, or not eat particular foods on certain days, or perform rituals etc... The belief in a particular god of a particular religion however needs me to follow certain rituals or practices which would appear be absurd to me. I would like to quote Gautum Buddha here "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and common sense". I can look at both the scientists position on origin of universe and the position of religions, and mind you, there are several religions! And several thousand weird explanations. By my own logic, I reject these and believe that scientists are at least honest and forthcoming about what they do or do not know. If someone thinks it is JUST MY BELIEF, then so be it. I do not feel threatened by what you feel.

3) Not sure there is much real credible science to support life from non-life.... Well, if you were in a field close enough to understand you would see that evidence has been forthcoming in the last few years. Some of the links have been posted here time and again.

Now "Bring your own dirt" – well, we are confusing 2 things – origin of universe and origin of life. Putting god into the argument wherever one doesnot have an answer would not have got scientists anywhere. There would have been no technology, no internet, no medications, no vaccines.... It is the quest of man to understand his environment and to modify it according to his needs (sometimes for positive, but quite often for negative consequences as well) – it is this quest over centuries which has brought us where we stand today. God of the gaps argument doesnot get one anywhere.

4) I guess we both agree on point 4.

"Do you believe that being an atheist means you know there is no God or are you more of an agnostic?" – That would just be a matter of semantics. Since I am not convinced that a god exists, I chose to believe a god does not exist. That makes my life simpler and more beautiful. And I will not mock someone who wants to think differently.

April 25, 2013 at 5:49 am |
    • Science

By the way Glenn there is no heaven but there is a hell..................Hell MI USA !

Peace

April 25, 2013 at 5:51 am |
    • Science

Hey Glenn.............have you heard of laws of association ?.

April 25, 2013 at 5:57 am |

SImran
      I appreciate you writing back. I totally agree with your first paragraph. Likewise I am glad that you are not threatened by my suggestion that what you have is belief (aka faith) and not proof as stated in the last sentence of your second point. I think we both agree that as of yet no one has proof one way or another.
      I do disagree with the semantics as you put it in the difference between atheist and agnostic but maybe I am just splitting hairs. I happened to like redzoa’s response on that topic.
      Thanks again for taking the time to write back. That was a late one last night
      Regards

April 25, 2013 at 11:23 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"Whoever has told you faith is claimed knowledge was lying to you or to themselves."

Glenn,

Faith IS claimed knowlege. Religion is not saying 'god might be true' or 'Jesus maybe was Lord and savior'. Maybe YOU aren't playing to that level of certainty but most are. If you are not claiming knowledge than what is your message? That the Christian faith is just a possibility? Just one of the many possibilites? And you pick that one as being true for you because why? Tradition? Indoctrination? Comfort? Personal experience? Those are all the same reasons the Hindu in India or the Muslim in Saudi Arabia have. I want to believe things that ARE true, not MIGHT be true.

"My only real question to you is whether or not you have faith that there is No God or do you simply not know?"

I don't know Glenn, neither does anybody. But the time to positively believe a claim is when there is proper foundation to accept the claim. No religion has ever done that, or even come close.

"As to the absurdity of God well I feel that way when I listen to Atheist start to talk about the origins of all matter and later to life itself."

I have not heard an atheist claim with absolute certainty they know the origins of matter. Of course they don't believe in god so they will not speculate or give an opinion that "god created everything". I don't know why that is surprising. As I noted earlier every historical claim of gods hand has had a natural cause in the end. Why should anyone accept the "god claim" when to this point it has not panned out as an answer for anything. Keeping "god" open as a possibility is not what religion is doing, they are claiming it as fact.

April 25, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
    • fred

Glenn
      I typically see God ("G") used for the Hebrew God or the on the one and only God. Zeus can be viewed as a god but can never be God because Zeus is known to be man made from known matter and energy.

April 25, 2013 at 1:22 pm |

Blessed

There is no assumed absolute knowledge in faith. Not sure where you are getting this belief. I mean if you hear someone say there is a God and you challenge them regarding this then the only answer they can intellectually give is faith mixed with some personal experiences. Anything else is pure folly. Likewise if an atheist says there is no God then they can only be saying this based on faith and not fact. You have pointed out that simply stating “I don’t know” is reasonable. I would agree with you. I am mostly certain there is a God based on my experiences coupled with faith but I am not 100 percent sure. Nor would I claim that I am 100 percent sure.
      That being said here is a very basic example of a faith that you and I both share. The sun will come up tomorrow. I believe this to be true as I am sure you do but there is no way we can prove it. We have repeatability of course but no concrete proof. I am not suggesting faith in God is the same as faith in astrophysics but merely to point out that you too use faith as claimed knowledge in something that you simply cannot prove.
      Listen I have really enjoyed the conversation. I hope you don’t judge too harshly people of faith.
      Regards

April 25, 2013 at 2:07 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Glenn,

I appreciate the discourse as well, I would rather have a discussion than throw barbs. My point is if someone goes around telling other people there is a god they are claiming knowledge. I don't know if you have kids but if you do, do you tell them you think there is a god or do you claim there IS one. Faith is the acceptance of a claim without objective evidence. I would also point out you are not JUST believing A god exists (deism), you believe in a specific god. It is 2 belief statements, not just one.

As to your example of faith that the sun will come up tomorrow. Look up the word "faith", there is more than one meaning and using that example you are conflating 2 of the meanings. We have past objective experience to draw on that the sun will come up tomorrow. It is no different than your "faith" in math. Religious faith is not the same thing and you admit it is not the same thing and yet you use it to justify both meanings, that is a bit dishonest.

Also I am not judging people of faith to be bad people. I am judging "faith" as a bad way to understand our world and I am judging Chriistian faith as an immoral concept. Christians are usually much more moral than their religion or the god they believe in.

April 25, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
  15. Losing Faith

I am 33 years old and have always been a devout Christian. Now I am starting to wonder. I have prayed ever day for the last 3+ years in the hopes that my missing son would be returned to me or at least found. Nothing. Why has God done this? Why will Jesus not appear before me?

April 25, 2013 at 12:16 am |
    • Chad

Losing Faith, you are not a good Christian. Read the Bible for the truth. If you loved God, He would help you.

April 25, 2013 at 12:18 am |
    • oOo

The comforting gospel according to Chad in action.

April 25, 2013 at 12:24 am |
    • Colin

Our capacity as a species for self delusion is quite remarkable.

April 25, 2013 at 12:26 am |
    • Ex-Christian

@Losing Faith

Please, pay no attention to Chad. He probably hasn't been through anything close to what you have. I too prayed for many years, well over 3, just for God to help me with one issue... One thing that I needed to change, that I wanted to change for him. Did I get any help or response? No. I'm sorry but you must face the reality that either God doesn't exist or he simply doesn't care.

April 25, 2013 at 1:11 am |
    • shannonduffyart

Losing Faith,

Please don't listen to anyone who says God doesn't love you, or you don't Love Him enough. I am 24 and my husband and I lost our baby this year [she lived for about 8 hours]. Nothing is harder than losing a child–and I imagine it's even harder when it's not the certainty of death separating you, but the uncertainty of not knowing. I teach religion [among other things] at a Catholic school, and one of the things the kids and I discussed were that when we pray, God either answers our prayers, or gives us something better. 'Better', ultimately, is life with Him... and any challenges we face are not meant to cause us despair, but rather to form our souls in virtue so that we can one day rest in Heaven. For my husband and I... we may have lost a baby, but we gained a saint in Heaven, and a marriage that has been tried, tested, and strengthened by the tragedy. It's not that God "made" us suffer, or caused it to happen– every bad thing is a result of sin in the world. [Not personal sin... but Man's sin... the effects of separation from God.] However, God does bring light out of darkness... and as the Master of all things, can use even hardship for a greater purpose. As hard as the loss and uncertainty may be for you... know that God is blessing you in His own way, and drawing you closer to Him, because through this suffering you have gained hope... patience... faith... and perhaps obedience to His will, which is the hardest and most humbling thing of all. I will pray for you, your family, and son... wherever he may be. No matter what happens in life, you will always be reunited in Heaven. ❤ –Shannon

April 25, 2013 at 1:14 am |
    • shannonduffyart

When I was in college, I had some really terrible things happen, and I spent 3 years asking God, why? Why is this happening to me? What DO YOU WANT ME TO DO? ...then finally New Year's Eve, 2010 (11?) it hit me... Faith is not based on certainty, but on trust, and that maybe instead of answers I should start asking for directions... It was the simplest thing, but changed everything. Ironically, once I had this light bulb moment the "answers" I had been seeking were patently clear, and life has changed in truly dramatic ways. [2 jobs, 2 cities–both incredibly providential... And met, married, had, and lost, a baby with my husband before the age of 25.] I used to struggle with hopelessness a lot, in those dark years... still do, every once in awhile... but when I really take time and reflect on all that's happen, I realize just how lucky and blessed I've been– despite everything, I know God's taking care of me... and I know He's taking care of you, too, even when it doesn't feel like it. One of my favorite prayers ever was always this. "MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone."

Those last two lines have come to me in prayer repeatedly, on a personal level. I hope they help you, too... –S

April 25, 2013 at 1:25 am |
    • Potato

There is no god and never was. You hold in your imagination the tail end of a mishmash of mythologies, tied together to blind you and restrict you from simply seeing everything as it really is. Reality sucks, so imaginary friends are better than nothing, right? Just don't expect much from them since they don't really exist. Or grapple with the truth and win a rational brain and freedom from all that bs. Because that's all it ever was. BS. Saying a mantra may calm you down, but it really fcuks up your brain. Sometimes it's too late to save someone from the insanity of a religious cult. Not much I can do from here. YOLO

April 25, 2013 at 1:58 am |
    • Losing Faith

shannonduffyart, I see God has sent you to mock and make fun of me. This will be my last night on earth thanks to you.

April 25, 2013 at 2:01 am |
    • Science

Chad and his book of nasty..........and the talking snake ?

April 25, 2013 at 4:47 am |
    • sam stone

chad making pronouncements on who is a "good christian".....now that is funny

April 25, 2013 at 4:50 am |
    • mike

I prayed every day for 3 years for a million dollars and never got it.

April 25, 2013 at 5:51 am |

shannonduffyart
      Losing Faith,

lol

April 25, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
  16. Ungodly Discipline

I am proud of the Catholics for having the courage to show Jesus as unable to dress himself or tie his shoes. Jesue was retarded, we all know this. This was overdue.

April 25, 2013 at 12:10 am |
    • Potato

Those shoes are mangled and they just hung some cloth to make it look like a robe. There are no feet and no legs.
      They are saying they know Jesus does not exist and don't care who knows it. Fakery and fraud. That's what's in the picture.
      Now cue the dewy-eyed believer saying it means Jesus is spiritual ignoring the mangled shoes as just dress-up fun!

April 25, 2013 at 1:16 am |
  17. Oh Douglas

We need to hurry up with these court cases so that this one can get married in whatever
    state he lands a pro job in.....
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag6k5eEYnSI&w=640&h=390]

April 25, 2013 at 12:03 am |
  18. Reality

All the humor in the world will not save the historically and theologically flawed RCC:

A starting point directed at the topic:

JC's family and friends had it right 2000 years ago ( Mark 3: 21 "And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.")

Said passage is one of the few judged to be authentic by most contemporary NT scholars. e.g. See Professor Ludemann's conclusion in his book, Jesus After 2000 Years, p. 24 and p. 694.

Actually, Jesus was a bit "touched". After all he thought he spoke to Satan, thought he changed water into wine, thought he raised Lazarus from the dead etc. In today's world, said Jesus would be declared legally insane.

Or did P, M, M, L and J simply make him into a first century magic-man via their epistles and gospels of semi-fiction? Many contemporary NT experts after thorough analyses of all the scriptures go with the latter magic-man conclusion with J's gospel being mostly fiction.

Obviously, today's followers of Paul et al's "magic-man" are also a bit on the odd side believing in all the Christian mumbo jumbo about bodies resurrecting, and exorcisms, and miracles, and "magic-man atonement, and infallible, old, European/Utah white men, and 24/7 body/blood sacrifices followed by consumption of said sacrifices. Yummy!!!!

April 24, 2013 at 11:50 pm |
    • lol??

Antacids are self defeating.

April 24, 2013 at 11:59 pm |
  19. biggles

I love dodo sambo fvctard

April 24, 2013 at 11:37 pm |
  20. Roth

IMHO, if someone dies tomorrow, this ad didn't tell them what they needed or why. God sees the inside. They need belief in God, belief that Jesus died for their sins, and to repent. They need an ad writer filled with the Holy Spirit. The kids need a bible and some pointers how to read it, and why to read it. Without it, they can compare this ad to any of a number of ads written by Satan to be a "hipster" or anything else. Which will win? I think this is why John the Baptist showed up... out in the wilderness... 2000 years ago... to tell them the truth. If you are going to pay for the ads, tell them the truth... what they need.

What would John the Baptist Do? (WWJTBD?)

April 24, 2013 at 11:35 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

What a hindu secular ism, criminal self center ism, hindu criminal justification to live by hindu secular ism, filthy self center ism, and fabrication called Jesus will take you to heaven, Same as no need to go to school, but you will get a PHD of your choice. What an idiot ic, secular, self centered thought.

April 24, 2013 at 11:47 pm |
    • Reality

Telling the truth in the 21st century:

The Apostles' Creed 2013: (updated by yours truly and based on the studies of historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
      and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
      human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven??

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
      preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
      named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
      girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
      the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
      a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
      Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
      many semi-fiction writers. A descent into Hell, a bodily resurrection
      and ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
      Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
      grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
      and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
      called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
      (references used are available upon request)

April 24, 2013 at 11:52 pm |
    • Roth

Neither one of you are any good at convincing someone to reject Jesus or his sacrifice for sins. Neither one of you would have had his courage to face roman soldiers ready to beat him to near death, and then nail him to a cross to die as he bled to death, naked. He could have stopped any and all of them, but he went through with it because he loves and accepts us, that believe him and repent of our sins.

April 25, 2013 at 12:42 am |
    • Potato

He was a criminal duly executed for his crimes against Rome's interests. But he may not have even existed or died a normal death from cholera instead of the drama of an execution and those details added later.
      The loaves and fishes story is not about magic, it's about communism.
      The 'what is caesar's' story is saying pay your taxes because imaginary friends can't really do anything.
      His execution was not magical if it happened. Rome executed thousands of criminals. Did they die magically to save someone? No. There was no giant glowing hand in the sky for Jesus to throw himself in front of to save everyone.
      Violating some internal rules of a religious sect in the Jerusalem sector of the Roman Empire got you in trouble with the priests of that religion, who could ask the Romans to execute evil-doers, like Jesus, who violated Maimonaides' BS rules for Temple-going Jews, the priests of which simply exercised their 'god-given authority' to execute Jesus.
      No magic there. Jesus is more of an apostate and thus rejects his own claims to authority in trying to form his own cult amongst the disaffected chasidic youths on the streets who also had no jobs.
      Save you? From the unholy crime of being an intelligent animal who was driven out of the jungle and doomed to hell?
      Ha ha ha. What a maroon.

April 25, 2013 at 2:15 am |
    • dustball

There is a simple reason all those people went to their deaths believing Jesus.

Make up a reason.

April 25, 2013 at 3:14 am |
    • sam stone

i see you have bought into the whole "sin" thing, roth.

silly people