home
RSS
Catholic ads in NY: Jesus was 'the original hipster'
April 24th, 2013

Catholic ads in NY: Jesus was 'the original hipster'

By Pallavi Reddy, CNN

(CNN) – Ads around Brooklyn bring a new meaning to Joan Osborne's lyrics, “What if God was one of us?”

In a new ad campaign launched by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn this month, people in the borough and neighboring Queens have a new way to view Jesus: “The Original Hipster.”

The ads feature the bottom half of a man - meant to be Jesus - wearing robes with a pair of dirty red Converse sneakers peeking out from the bottom.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

In a news release, the diocese refers to Seth Meyers' joke on “Saturday Night Live” that Converse sneakers are why more Catholics are returning to the church, and says the marketing campaign is “showing a cooler and more welcoming side of the Catholic Church.”

Brooklyn's Williamsburg neighborhood, near Queens, is considered to be the "unofficial East Coast birthplace of hipsterism," as a 2012 article in Forbes put it.

Monsignor Kieran Harrington said he understood the importance of relating to the people of the area.

“Jesus appears (in these ads) like people of the L train,” he said. “What is a hipster anyway? Someone who stands against the (mainstream) culture. Jesus stood against the culture.”

CNN Belief: The Curious Case of the Christian Hipster

Ten months ago, the conversation started about creating such a campaign to let people know there are a variety of different faces who attend the church.

Harrington says these particular ads were a collaboration with the ad and PR agency Ruckus. Now they are found in places where the church doesn't usually advertise, including bus stands, restaurants and gyms.

The ads have generated online buzz in Salon, the Gothamist and other sites, and traffic on the diocese's website has gone up 400%, Harrington said.

As for what kind of ads to expect from the diocese next, the monsignor said: “It’s for you to find out.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Jesus • New York

soundoff (1,086 Responses)
  1. Lulany

Sad to see people bashing each other yet again over matters of faith. What it's actually about is mutual respect. I respect other people's beliefs (religious, spiritual or otherwise) as long as they respect mine. I don't like anyone imposing their faith or infringing on anyone's rights to believe as they wish or not at all but when atheists belittle believers they are no better than the religious zealots who do just that. Anyone putting down others to elevate themselves or their point of view needs to do a little introspection of their own.

April 25, 2013 at 9:48 am |
    • William Demuth

Nonesense.

Some belief systems are unacceptable.

Would you tell a Nazi to live and let live?

Would you tell a bigot to keep on being bigoted?

You act as if these cults don't inflict a cost on society!!! They are a parasite, and the views they promote must be erradicated.

April 25, 2013 at 9:59 am |
    • Science

Yep it is sad years later and they are still trying to shove it in the schools !

Dover Trial Transcripts............................................. FACTS.

Below are the complete transcripts from the Dover Trial. Thanks to our friends at the National Center for Science Education for helping us fill in the missing transcripts.

April 25, 2013 at 10:02 am |
    • lh

Wow, I actually agree with William Demuth here. There can only be one truth. That's the definition of truth. I am a Christian, and I believe the Bible to be 100% true. So Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. There isn't another truth or another way. To William, his way is the truth. That makes no room for my truth. But there is only one truth, and someday we'll all find out what that is. I am confident in my Truth- His name is Jesus Christ.

April 25, 2013 at 10:20 am |
    • Lulany

@William Demuth: Obviously you have to draw the line at unacceptable practices. This is where mutual respect comes in. But I don't think anything is accomplished by mocking people's beliefs when they're not hurting anyone as is clearly the case here. Putting everyone who believes anything in one big category of loonies just because some people use their faith to do harm cannot be justified and it serves no purpose other than creating animosity and bringing people further apart.

April 25, 2013 at 10:20 am |
    • lh

Actually, I should clarify. I agree with WD in that some belief systems are unacceptable. As a matter of fact, I go one step further and say that ALL other belief systems are unacceptable. There can't be more than one truth.

April 25, 2013 at 10:22 am |
    • Honey Badger Don't Care!

lh,

There is one problem however. You don’t have “truth” you have belief. No matter how much you believe something it doesn’t make it true.

You have no evidence that the claims in the bible are true and there is quite a bit of evidence to show that what is in there is completely made up in order to create a religious following.

April 25, 2013 at 10:26 am |
    • lh

I disagree with the evidence.

Ok, fine, call it belief. I have a belief, you have a belief- but there can only be one truth, right? Only one thing can be true. I can believe it's going to rain today and you can believe it will hold off, but only one thing is going to be true. Some day we'll all know what the truth is about all of this.

April 25, 2013 at 10:31 am |
    • Honey Badger Don't Care!

lh,

Many different things can be true. However, there can only be one true position for a specific claim. For example, the claim “god exists”. Either this god figure exists or it doesn’t. There is NO evidence to support the claim that a god exists therefore the default position is to suspend belief. If a person continues to believe in something for which there is NO good evidence then that is delusional behavior.

April 25, 2013 at 10:36 am |
    • Honey Badger Don't Care!

Let me ask you one simple question. What is the better way to prove the veracity of a claim? The scientific method or reading a book that was written by men, has many contradictory passages, and obvious errors in logic and claims?

April 25, 2013 at 10:39 am |
    • lh

Well, you see, we do disagree about the Bible, and that's where the problems begin. I believe the Bible to be the inspired word of God, and I believe that God, who was able to create the universe and all it contained, was also able to preserve His word throughout time. I believe that. I do not believe in the so-called contradictions in the Bible, and I really don't want to go over all of them- I know what they supposedly are, and I do not believe them to be contradictions.

April 25, 2013 at 11:20 am |
    • Honey Badger Don't Care!

Where is see the problem lying is that you are equivocating belief with truth. The two are not the same.

You can believe that the bible is the 100% infallible word of god all you want but that does not make it true. You have no evidence that the bible is true. Any reasonable person would state that they would suspend belief until evidence is given to support the claim.

Do you believe that Bigfoot exists? Leprechauns? Loch Ness Monster? Please answer.

April 25, 2013 at 11:33 am |
    • lh

I agree- belief is not truth. People believe all sorts of things. You believe that my belief is untrue. I believe that atheism is untrue. We don't make something true because we believe it. But SOMETHING is true. When you die, something that is being discussed here on this thread is going to be true. You're going to heaven or hell or a hole in the ground- but there is a thing that is true. I believe the Bible to be true. If it's not, well...I'll find out. But because I believe it to be true, I will share my belief with others because not to do so would be a terrible thing in light of what the Bible says about those who do not believe.

I know you don't agree with me- but does that make any sense?

April 25, 2013 at 11:39 am |
    • SImran

Ih,

"I will share my belief with others because not to do so would be a terrible thing in light of what the Bible says about those who do not believe."

I can so imagine Bin Laden with the gun to your head ordering you to believe what he believes bcoz his book commands him to do so!!! Yup, about a couple of centuries ago, Christians also burnt women saying the Bible commands them to do so. You never realize when you cross the line between genuine concern for humanity into fanatically trying to uphold your own beliefs. Those who are genuinely concerned about others would actually do something constructive, not bother proselytizing.

April 25, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
    • faith

"

lh

As far as truth goes, we agree that there either is a God or there is not. If there is a true God, only one can be THE true one. If my God is the true God, Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven. If I don't tell others about that, then I am a hateful person. I can be thought a fool, that's fine- but telling others about Jesus Christ is to show love and concern for the souls of other human beings. I can't see why people are upset by that."

dodo, come on.

April 25, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
  2. Dave8582

Jesus was an Urban Legend. He never actually existed. You Christians are really becoming pathetic.

Cheers!

April 25, 2013 at 9:47 am |
    • are122

Yeah, we'll take your word for it.

April 25, 2013 at 9:48 am |
  3. elgatonyc

This story was on animalnewyork.com SIX DAYS AGO and CNN is reporting on it NOW? Bwahahahaha. So much for CNN being a beacon of journalistic light.

April 25, 2013 at 9:40 am |
  4. Patines

Change the name Jesus and a new PR manager and they might have a better opportunity for a comeback, I have my doubts though.

April 25, 2013 at 9:37 am |
    • William Demuth

They need to get him on Jerusalems Got Talent!!

He can do a duet with Muhammed, maybe an old Righteous Brothers tune?

April 25, 2013 at 9:41 am |
    • Mother Teresa

"They need to get him on Jerusalems Got Talent!!"

Or they could let Him perform a miracle like Sam B did on AGT (who was somehow able to take an "i" out of "Sam")

April 25, 2013 at 9:46 am |
  5. Bob_This

Jesus is always welcome in my home. It's the Christians that scare me.

April 25, 2013 at 9:32 am |
  6. Life Imitates Art

It's Buddy Jesus!

April 25, 2013 at 9:29 am |
  7. Julie

Like any other corporation the catholic church is reaching out to a younger demographic because of declining revenue. Recent survey's say the fastest rising religious or non-religious group in the States are the "Unaffiliated" at 18%. Mathematicians have predicted that within 100 years the religious with be a very small minority. As less and less parents indoctrinate their children from birth with this ancient nonsense organized religion will fail. As science begins to dominate the remaining religious will just be seen as a small and ignorant cult.

April 25, 2013 at 9:19 am |
    • William Demuth

Where ya been all my life?

Well posted!

April 25, 2013 at 9:21 am |
  8. William Demuth

Jesus was the original "Funny Uncle"

Hung out with men, no lovers or kids, no job, was attracted to young boys, and sponged off his mom till his dying day.

He was a fa-g hag for the Roman Army, passed around like a wine bottle at a Who concert.

April 25, 2013 at 9:18 am |
    • Mother Teresa

They used to call Him Mad God 20/20, but then too many drunks screwed His name up.

April 25, 2013 at 9:22 am |
    • AtheistsAreLosers

Climb back under that rock you came from idiot.You're are living of your parents as most atheists hanging on the internet nights and days are. I see you you hanging over every single comments board everywhere babbling your mouths. You have no morals and no life other that doing just that. Get a life atheists losers and leave Jesus and religion alone. You are not any better than religious people, you're insults and name calling shows every one that an atheists world would be even worst than a religious world. You proved that an atheists world would be only that, insults and named calling as well as discrimination toward others.

April 25, 2013 at 9:34 am |
    • Mother Teresa

"You're are living of your parents"

Fail. (Whacks hands with ruler.)

April 25, 2013 at 9:37 am |
    • William Demuth

Loser

I am old enough to be your father (In fact it's a good chance I am!)

Describe your mom for me so I can be sure.

Chubby Christian chick with wild eyes and a hubby who couldn't pull her trigger?

April 25, 2013 at 9:39 am |
  9. GOP

Jesus was 'the original Republican'

April 25, 2013 at 9:10 am |
    • Third Eagle of the Apocalypse

The fiction character of Jesus has more in common with hippies than republicans. Republicans would be the Romans in this case and we all knew what happen them.

April 25, 2013 at 9:32 am |
  10. Democrates

Jesus was 'the original democrat'

April 25, 2013 at 9:09 am |
    • Democritus

Jesus was the original hypocrite

April 25, 2013 at 9:18 am |
    • AtheistsAreLosers

Jesus was not a coward like you atheists are, he never ran away from the roman when they came for him, he face his own death. You atheists are hiding behind a keyboard babbling your mouths, it's all you can do. Get out of your parents basement and get a life. Bunch of low life morons.

April 25, 2013 at 9:37 am |
    • Mother Teresa

@AAL: He most likely realized that trying to escape was futile. Some of us are retired, dear. Now eat your applesauce and calm down.

April 25, 2013 at 10:11 am |
  11. Believe

To all non-believers...

Do you feel better now that you have come here to preach to us about how dumb we are because we believe in a "fictional character"? You have proved your maturity to us by trying to prove we are "stupid". We are not trying to convince you of anything, it seems like you are the ones trying to convince yourselves of your non-beliefs by trying to insult us and make us not believe. Good Luck with that!!!! Thank you for your pointless opinions, now you go and have yourselves a nice day!!!!!!! Oh-yeah, and God Bless you all!!!!!!!!

April 25, 2013 at 9:01 am |
    • Fairy tales are for children

When you and your ilk keep your fairy tales to yourselves, then we’ll be quiet, but as long as your delusions continue to shape the laws of this country, there will be a vocal opposition to it. If you don’t like that, then that’s just too bad.

April 25, 2013 at 9:08 am |
    • Mother Teresa

Fail.

April 25, 2013 at 9:09 am |
    • Science

No god(s) needed................... Old. DNA works..................also catches crooks ! Plus facts work BEST when teaching

CHILDREN !

Ancient DNA Reveals Europe's Dynamic Genetic History

Apr. 23, 2013 — Ancient DNA recovered from a series of skeletons in central Germany up to 7,500 years old has been used to reconstruct the first detailed genetic history of modern Europe.

Peace

April 25, 2013 at 9:10 am |
    • William Demuth

Blessings?

Is that all the compensation your cult thinks it is going to have to pay for its crimes?

We will bankrupt you, stigmatize you, imprison your leaders and expunge your madness from our culture.

And just remember for a moment all those you folks have stepped on?

They are itching for some payback.

I would prefer a sucular society, but if given the choice between your faith and the muslims, I will support the Muslims every time. Not because their lies are better than yours, but simply because they will do to you what you guys did to the Jews.

They will wage a genocide against you, and I will cuddle up on the couch with a bowl of popcorn and enjoy the hell out of the show.

April 25, 2013 at 9:12 am |
    • lh

The opinions aren't pointless- they are the voices of those looking for anything BUT God to be the answer to what life is all about. It's sad. As Christians, we should grieve over these "opinions" because these people have no hope. Jesus loves them despite their often horrific comments about Him. He doesn't want anyone to perish. You say we are not trying to convince them of anything- why? Jesus told us to go and tell others. I for one will try to convince them that Jesus Christ is Lord. They may not listen- some of these comments show hearts that are hard as stone. But maybe someone will listen- don't stop trying :)

April 25, 2013 at 9:22 am |
    • Mother Teresa

Spider Man loves me too, but he's cuter and his clothes fit better.

April 25, 2013 at 9:27 am |
    • sam stone

"We are not trying to convince you of anything"

Really? What then is the supposed point of evangelism?

April 25, 2013 at 9:33 am |
    • Third Eagle of the Apocalypse

I never said I was mature… just superior.

April 25, 2013 at 9:34 am |
    • sam stone

"As Christians, we should grieve over these "opinions" because these people have no hope"

I have plenty of hope. You, though, appear to have no logic

April 25, 2013 at 9:35 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Believe
      Your passive agressive tone not withstanding, if Christians are not trying to convince non-believers of anything, why do I have Christians knocking at my door, leaving pamphlets in my mailbox, yelling condemnations from the street corner, trying to change academic curricula, etc. ad nauseum

April 25, 2013 at 9:47 am |
    • lol??

Becuz yer nauseum is contagious. Call out, "unclean, unclean" when yer out and about.

April 25, 2013 at 9:51 am |
    • Richard Cranium

believe
      Which god?
      Men have created thousands of them...you disregard all of the others, we have only gone one farther than you.

Why your god and not the others?

April 25, 2013 at 9:58 am |
  12. rad666

I recently received a flyer on my front door that had Jesus looking like Brad Pitt with the body of a MMA fighter.

April 25, 2013 at 8:58 am |
    • jay homes

You hit the nail on the head. You are correct. The world needs Jesus and each person needs to commit his/her life to Him. It is the GREATEST THING EVER. CNN may not post this b/c it is not politically correct.

April 25, 2013 at 9:03 am |
    • Rupert

I got the same one, but I thought it looked more like a young Chuck Norris.

April 25, 2013 at 9:05 am |
    • William Demuth

And what of the blond haired blue eyed virgin?

In truth she really would have had brown beady eyes, black matted hair from her toes to her back, and probably smelled like a Yak

April 25, 2013 at 9:14 am |
  13. lh

Jesus did NOT stand against the culture. What a dumb ad. Jesus stood against SIN. He is the answer to your SIN PROBLEM. He didn't- and doesn't- have anything to do with culture. He came to earth to die for the sins of men so that all who believe might be saved. Why do these modern churches insist on trying to make Jesus be just one of the guys? He was God made man. He wasn't like us. Who wants a God that acts like one of us? Quit listening to religion and church people and read what God said in the Holy Bible for yourself. Isn't it worth investigating on your own?

April 25, 2013 at 8:58 am |
    • Big Shiz

You believe exactly what Constantine wanted people to believe.

April 25, 2013 at 9:02 am |
    • lh

Nope, I just believe Jesus. I was intelligent enough to read His word and believe it. I, for one, am 100% sure that the Bible is true and that my future is with Jesus. I understand that you all have your opinions (God calls them your "vain imaginations" in the book of Romans)- you'd better hope you're right! What if you're not?

April 25, 2013 at 9:10 am |
    • Mother Teresa

Yez, the whole sin, good, Devil, miracle thing was all about control and instilling fear among the people.

April 25, 2013 at 9:18 am |
    • sam stone

Ih: You have not established that "sin" exists. Until you do, all you are doing is just so much self-righteous "blah, blah, fvcking blah". Go home, boy, and get your shinebox

April 25, 2013 at 9:43 am |
    • sam stone

Ih: Are you really going to invoke Pascal's Wager upon us? What if YOU are wrong? What if there is a god, but not the one that you believe in? You could be as screwed as you imply non-believers are with your punk a$$ iron age pr1ck.

April 25, 2013 at 9:46 am |
    • GEM

I agree! This is a desperate attempt by the Catholic Church to bring the Son of God down to our level to sugar-coat sin. Yes, Jesus loves the sinner but hates the sin. The Church has stooped to a new low by blaspheming. Jesus is NOT "one of the guys."

April 25, 2013 at 9:49 am |
    • lh

Sam Stone- I do not have any doubt of the truth of God's word. Not one iota. I am as sure of my salvation in Christ as you are of my foolishness. Your words do not affect me, and they do not shake my faith- they make it stronger. The name of Jesus is offensive to you because you are angry at God. You know He is real. You're like a child who, in a fit of rage at his mother shouts "You're not my Mom!" I pray you will some day find the joy of knowing Jesus Christ. He is real. He changes lives. And He loves you.

April 25, 2013 at 9:56 am |
    • sam stone

"The name of Jesus is offensive to you because you are angry at God"

No. The name of Jesus does not offend me. I am amused by those who loudly proclaim that they are following him.

I cannot be angry at a being in which I do not believe. Can you?

April 25, 2013 at 10:03 am |
    • sam stone

"I do not have any doubt of the truth of God's word. "

Yet what you claim to be God's word is the edited, translated hearsay of Iron Age man

April 25, 2013 at 10:20 am |
    • sam stone

Why do you feel you need salvation?

April 25, 2013 at 10:21 am |
    • lh

We disagree about the Bible. I believe that the Bible is the Word of God, not men. I also believe that God, who created the world and everything in it, was capable of preserving His word. I believe that I hold in my hands the Words of God Himself. Nonsense to you, I know that. I am in need of salvation because according to the Bible, the wage of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life. I have sinned. I want life. According to God, there is only one way to cover sin and obtain eternal life, and that is through the blood of Jesus Christ. I believe that. I have experienced that. It has nothing to do with religion or church or politics. It has to do with Jesus and what He did for mankind. I pray you would think on these things.

April 25, 2013 at 10:29 am |
    • sam stone

Well, as you posted in response to another comment, belief is not truth

April 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
    • sam stone

So, you believe that you need salvation because a book written, translated and edited by man told you so?

April 25, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
    • sam stone

Do you seriously want ETERNAL life?

How boring would that be after a few centuries?

April 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
    • sam stone

"I believe that. I have experienced that. It has nothing to do with religion or church or politics."

Of course it has to do with religion. What other belief systems point to the supposed resurrection of christ as a sign of the ability to conquer death and have "eternal life"?

"I pray you would think on these things."

What makes you think I haven't? People can consider all that you believe and not believe it

April 25, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
    • sam stone

Which bible is "the word of god"?

April 25, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
    • Converse Sation

Eternal existence? I say, be careful what you wish for. Not even the stars themselves are eternal...

April 25, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
    • sam stone

Eternal life seems like torture to me. However, the thought of it seems to please the sycophants

April 25, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
  14. Rick

Hippie maybe, but hipster? As far as I can see they tend to be lazy, self-important know-it-alls. So no, not a chance.

April 25, 2013 at 8:57 am |
    • Pete

I don't know, it is possible that Jesus had poor fashion sense and bad taste in music.

April 25, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
  15. In the News

Rhode Island moves toward approval of same-sex marriage:

Oh Douglas? Douglas? Let's hurry up with these SCOTUS cases so this dude can get married in whatever state he lands a pro job in....

April 25, 2013 at 8:42 am |

16. April 25, 2013 at 8:37 am |
  17. William Demuth

Jesus Christ as portrayed by Justin Bieber!!

Why a pink kitten called Jesus Kitty?

Perhaps a cartoon carpenter called Builder Joseph could bbe his father and a virgin Britney Spears as his mother?

They could all appear together on Palestinian Idol?

April 25, 2013 at 8:36 am |
  18. William Demuth

How pathetic.

Like a pedophille asking a child for help finding a missing puppy, these degenerates will say or do anything to endear themselves to children

Within 50 years this church will have been decimated.

If you give money to the RCC you support child buggery, and you WILL be held accountable.

April 25, 2013 at 8:27 am |
    • faith

i know i know

April 25, 2013 at 8:28 am |
    • Not Godd

Roman Catholic Church Se-x Abuse Cases

Take dash out of se-x for url to work.

April 25, 2013 at 8:36 am |
    • Evenstar

How very sad you are. You condemn all because of the actions of a few. Not all muslims are terrorists, nor are all catholics pedophiles. You thru ignorance or contempt blame the innocent as part of the guilty. Because a few corrupt the beautiful word of God and have made themselves hypocites you believe all are as those who have perverted themselse. They are part of the brood of vipers! Are not you as they are by passing judgement on the innocent as though they are guilty with no evidence to prove your claim?

April 25, 2013 at 8:46 am |
    • Science

And laws of association makes it part of the devil's cults too ...........does it not Evenstar ?

April 25, 2013 at 8:53 am |
    • William Demuth

Evenstar

Your Ex-Pope is as guilty as if he had butt humped them himself.

He is complicit and should be hung for it.

April 25, 2013 at 8:57 am |
    • Richard Cranium

Evenstar
      A few men corrupted the word of god?...If it truly were the word of god, would it be so easily corrupted...wouldn't your god have seen ahead of time the corruption of it, where when and how, and made it less corruptable. Wouldn't your perfect being have mad a more perfect instruction manual....He didn't for one simple reason....men made your bible, no gods helped in any way. Men created your god, like men have created thousands of gods.

April 25, 2013 at 9:11 am |
  19. shipwreck73

Original Hipster? Good I have one more reason to hate jesus.

April 25, 2013 at 8:24 am |
    • jay homes

Jesus loves you and He gave His lie for you.

April 25, 2013 at 9:04 am |
    • lh

I pray that you would stop hating the One that loves you most and cursing the One who gave His life for you and wants nothing in return. I pray that you will not have to stand before God one day and have to face Him with those words.

April 25, 2013 at 9:38 am |
    • sam stone

Ih: You DO understand that people cannot fear retaliation ("judgement" to you pious folk) from a being in which they do not believe, don't you?

April 25, 2013 at 9:50 am |
    • lh

I understand it, but I will continue to try to convince them. Not to do so would be hateful if I am a true believer in God's word. And it won't matter if you don't believe in Him now when you come face to face with Him later. I think not to tell people that would be wrong.

April 25, 2013 at 11:25 am |
    • sam stone

I understand it, but I will continue to try to convince them. Not to do so would be hateful "

And to do so would be arrogant.

"And it won't matter if you don't believe in Him now when you come face to face with Him later. I think not to tell people that would be wrong."

There you go with those empty proxy threats.

What will you do when you come face to face with other religion's gods? Your disbelief will not matter when you come face to face with Baal.

April 25, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
    • sam stone

If you want to preach to people, that is fine. But, do not complain when they laugh at and ridicule you. You bring it upon yourself

April 25, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
  20. Reality

All the humor in the world will not save the historically and theologically flawed RCC:

To wit:

1. origin: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EFE35540C7A8CDDAA0894DA404482

“New Torah For Modern Minds

Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did Moses. The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably never occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of Jericho. And David, far from being the fearless king who built Jerusalem into a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader whose reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for a fledgling nation.

Such startling propositions – the product of findings by archaeologists digging in Israel and its environs over the last 25 years – have gained wide acceptance among non-Orthodox rabbis. But there has been no attempt to disseminate these ideas or to discuss them with the laity – until now.

The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the 1.5 million Conservative Jews in the United States, has just issued a new Torah and commentary, the first for Conservatives in more than 60 years. Called "Etz Hayim" ("Tree of Life" in Hebrew), it offers an interpretation that incorporates the latest findings from archaeology, philology, anthropology and the study of ancient cultures. To the editors who worked on the book, it represents one of the boldest efforts ever to introduce into the religious mainstream a view of the Bible as a human rather than divine docu-ment. “
    prob•a•bly
    Adverb: Almost certainly; as far as one knows or can tell.

2. Jesus was an illiterate Jewish peasant/carpenter/simple preacher man who suffered from hallucinations (or “mythicizing” from P, M, M, L and J) and who has been characterized anywhere from the Messiah from Nazareth to a mythical character from mythical Nazareth to a ma-mzer from Nazareth (Professor Bruce Chilton, in his book Rabbi Jesus). An-alyses of Jesus’ life by many contemporary NT scholars (e.g. Professors Ludemann, Crossan, Borg and Fredriksen, ) via the NT and related doc-uments have concluded that only about 30% of Jesus' sayings and ways noted in the NT were authentic. The rest being embellishments (e.g. miracles)/hallucinations made/had by the NT authors to impress various Christian, Jewish and Pagan sects.

The 30% of the NT that is "authentic Jesus" like everything in life was borrowed/plagiarized and/or improved from those who came before. In Jesus' case, it was the ways and sayings of the Babylonians, Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Hitt-ites, Canaanites, OT, John the Baptizer and possibly the ways and sayings of traveling Greek Cynics.

earlychristianwritings.com/

For added "pizzazz", Catholic theologians divided god the singularity into three persons and invented atonement as an added guilt trip for the "pew people" to go along with this trinity of overseers. By doing so, they made god the padre into god the "filicider".

Current RCC problems:

Too many pedophiliac priests, an all-male, "celibate", old, mostly white hierarchy, atonement theology and original sin!!!!

April 25, 2013 at 8:09 am |
    • What

not in Reality? is my question to you. The whole statement speaks for it self. Crazy is as crazy does......

April 25, 2013 at 8:24 am |
    • faith

that's funny

April 25, 2013 at 8:32 am |
    • boris

I agree entirely with Reality. Long, but nothing to dispute.

April 25, 2013 at 8:34 am |