home
RSS
May 17th, 2013

Pat Robertson shrugs off adultery, CBN regrets the misunderstanding

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

(CNN) - The Christian Broadcasting Network regrets the misunderstanding. Again.

Pat Robertson, the network's 83-year-old founder, was not condoning adultery when he answered a viewer's quesion on "The 700 Club" this week, the network said.

The viewer said she was having difficulty forgiving her husband for cheating. Robertson said the “secret” was to “stop talking about the cheating. He cheated on you. Well, he’s a man. OK.”

Robertson went on to suggest the woman focus on why she had married her husband and whether he provided for her needs and those of their children, adding, “Is he handsome? Start focusing on these things and essentially fall in love all over again.”

CBN spokesman Chris Roslan wrote in a statement that Robertson’s “intent was not to condone infidelity or to cast blame. We regret any misunderstanding."

Robertson off-the-cuff comments over the years have perplexed and angered other Christian leaders. One Christian pastor said his New Year’s resolution was to not comment on Robertson’s gaffes for an entire year.

Here are some of Robertson's most memorable statements:

1. The U.S. should kill Chavez

In 2005 Robertson suggested the United States should assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don’t need another $200 billion war to get rid of one strong-arm dictator. It’s a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with,” he said in a segment about the now-deceased head of state.

After considerable outcry, the minister backtracked and released a statement saying, “Is it right to call for assassination? No, and I apologize for that statement. I spoke in frustration that we should accommodate the man who thinks the U.S. is out to kill him."

A U.S. State Department official called the remarks "inappropriate."

2. How bad is weed, really?

Robertson, who once ran for president as a Republican, broke ranks with religious conservatives by endorsing the legalization of marijuana. "I believe in working with the hearts of people, and not locking them up," he said in a 2010 broadcast of "The 700 Club."

Cue spokesman Chris Roslan, who wrote, “Pat has never condoned the use of, nor does he use, marijuana.”

3. You know who’s to blame for that earthquake in Haiti? Haitians.

Shortly after a 2010 earthquake in Haiti left more than 220,000 people dead and Port-au-Prince decimated, Robertson referenced a slave revolt in 1804, where, legend has it, the Haitian slaves made a deal with the devil to shake off French colonialism.

"And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you will get us free from the French.' True story. And so the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal,'" Robertson said one day after the quake.

"You know, the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after the other."

That day CBN quickly clarified: “Dr. Robertson never stated that the earthquake was God’s wrath. If you watch the entire video segment, Dr. Robertson’s compassion for the people of Haiti is clear.” In fact, while Robertson was talking about Haiti on TV, his charitable arm Operation Blessing was already on the ground providing medical treatment, food, and supplies to victims.

4. Gay days = hurricanes and possibly meteors

In June 1998, after Walt Disney World announced it would have special days for gay and lesbian families in Orlando, and city officials announced they would fly rainbow flags in support of the event, Robertson warned the city, "You're right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you."

Robertson told the Orlando Sentinel at the time that his comments were taken out of context and released a full transcript of what he said on the show:

“So if the United States wants to embrace 'degrading passions' - according to the Bible, something that the Bible says is an abomination against God - we're not in any way, shape or form hating anybody. This is not a message of hate; this is a message of redemption. But if a condition like this will bring about the destruction of your nation; if it will bring about terrorist bombs; if it'll bring about earthquakes, tornadoes and possibly a meteor, it isn't necessarily something we ought to open our arms to. And I would warn Orlando that you're right in the way of some serious hurricanes and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

soundoff (2,964 Responses)
  1. R. A.

The older he gets, the more his Inner Liberal comes out. Pat, you had 'em fooled all these years....

May 18, 2013 at 11:20 pm |
    • twalk

It's not the inner liberal; but the true republycon coming to surface.

May 18, 2013 at 11:39 pm |
  2. Colin

So Chad, your respons is "you know nothing, read a letter of Saint Paul."

Let me try again. Why were the Jews God's treasured and chosen people? Why did he not make a covenant with the Chinese, Arabs, Amero-Indians or any of the other 200 million people then alive? Please, don't respond with "you know nothing now read the Bible." In your own words, why?

May 18, 2013 at 11:18 pm |
  3. jarhead333

@"The Real Tom". Read my post. My entire point is that ALL media is biased. READ before responding.

May 18, 2013 at 11:17 pm |
    • The real Tom

No, it wasn't, dear. Your agenda comes through loud and clear.

May 18, 2013 at 11:25 pm |
    • Answer

The gist of the christard whining is "why can't this news site be like Fox?"

"I feel comfortable when I am not challenged on my bs."

May 18, 2013 at 11:29 pm |
  4. john vance

I don't believe Rev Robertson meant to "shrug off" adultery, he intended to put it in place with all of mankind's frailties and weaknesses and emphasize the necessity of moving on to the next step. We all sin, it's what our subsequent decisions and actions are that count the most. Can we learn from our errors and strive not to repeat them or do we take them up as a lifestyle or career choice?

May 18, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
    • Joe Green

Nah, I don't think Pat meant that at all, john. I think he totally fscked up by trying to load blame onto the wife, and Robertson got called out appropriately for it. He's a con man through and through like all other evangie preachers, and this time he got caught.

May 18, 2013 at 11:14 pm |
    • The real Tom

Then why make the wife the guilty party in his comments? Why imply that it was her lack of attention to the home that caused her husband to stray?

May 18, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
    • tallulah13

Sorry, Johnny. Mr. Robertson's words were very clear. He blames women for not being attractive enough. I think he never quite escaped the gravitational pull of the early 60s.

May 18, 2013 at 11:30 pm |
    • Doug

What ? He blamed the wife for what this man did to her, their children and their marriage.. You Christians make me sick !

May 18, 2013 at 11:33 pm |
    • Michael Goyette

Joe Green – The term is "pulpit pimp", as in "look what that preacher pulpit pimp said today". It is a term used for pastors whose main occupation is whoring their religion for everything they can get their hands on.

May 18, 2013 at 11:54 pm |
  5. The Other Real Fake Tom Tom

Pat is my favorite sick old creepy-ass Christian fuck.

May 18, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
    • twalk

Pat is a true republycon getting caught speaking his and the other republycons beliefs.

May 18, 2013 at 11:42 pm |
  6. elvis316

I sort of respect Pat a little more after this one, actually.

May 18, 2013 at 10:56 pm |
    • AB Negative

I still sort of think he is still a disgusting Christian cockroach.

May 18, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
  7. jarhead333

Wait, so atheists want to lable ALL Christians after the comments of one person? Color me surprised.

May 18, 2013 at 10:51 pm |
    • Observer

Massive hypocrisy certainly isn't applicable to just ONE Christian leader.

May 18, 2013 at 10:53 pm |
    • The real Tom

Hardly. Why do you suppose CNN chose to publicize Robertson's comments?

May 18, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
    • jarhead333

Why did CNN choose to publicize comments... because it fits their agenda. Don't be stupid. CNN did not even address the fact that the house repealed Obamacare earlier this week. I wonder why? I'm just saying, CNN is about one sided as a Christian publication.

May 18, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
    • The real Tom

And you're so even-handed, jarhead? Not on your tintype. The house has done this dance before and failed. They'll likely fail again this time.

You think YOU don't have an 'agenda'?

May 18, 2013 at 11:04 pm |
    • Roberto

Yep. Christian is a label. Atheist is a label. Muslim is a label. Catholic is a label. Jewish is a label. Can't escape it. It's a new world and yet it is the same world it has been for thousands of years. Unless one of those mentioned is trying to take over the world. Then it's called 'attempt at dictatorship'. Or you can adhere to your belief and not impose it upon the rest of the world and let the rest live their lives the way they want without persecution. Otherwise we're talking Hitler.

May 18, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
    • jarhead333

Who doesn't? You seem to be claiming that CNN isn't biased. That is a joke. It just seems funny that such a large group of people who claim that God does not exist seem to have such a strong opinion against it.

May 18, 2013 at 11:08 pm |
    • Observer

jarhead333,

It's the THIRTY-SEVENTH time that the House had tried to curtain some of Obamacare. It's the THIRD time they've voted on repealing the law outright.

It stands no chance of passing the Senate.

What was your point?

May 18, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
    • The real Tom

"Against it." Against what, exactly? Do you have a point, jar?

May 18, 2013 at 11:12 pm |
    • The real Tom

Who's claiming that CNN isn't "biased"? Almost all news outlets are biased in some way. If you don't like it here, jarhead, then leave. There are plenty of conservative news sources you can read instead.

May 18, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
    • jarhead333

Of course it won't pass the Senate. The vote was never intended to. (Though it should) Still waiting for your boy to start working.

May 18, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
    • Answer

Look at the pathetic christards whining...

"Why isn't this article of news something that I like?" << - boohoo.

May 18, 2013 at 11:16 pm |
    • The real Tom

"Boy"? What "boy" are you referring to, jar jar?

May 18, 2013 at 11:16 pm |
    • Observer

jarhead333,

It's got be brutal hearing day after day about the Dow Jones setting all-time highs and especially after the last Republican president left it PLUMMETING.

May 18, 2013 at 11:18 pm |
    • jarhead333

May 18, 2013 at 11:19 pm |
    • The real Tom

I did read before responding, child. The difference is that I can read between the lines when you write a post. It's pretty clear where you stand on the issues, honey. If you don't like it, don't read it. If it bothers you to read CNN, beat it.

May 18, 2013 at 11:22 pm |
    • The real Tom

And sweetie boy? It's "label". Not "lable." Get a better spell-checker or learn to write.

May 18, 2013 at 11:24 pm |
    • jarhead333

@"The Real Tom" Your boy Obama.
      @Observer. Really. Plummeting? Tell me how after all of this time we are better off.

May 18, 2013 at 11:25 pm |
    • The real Tom

My stocks are WAY up. My house has increased in value. The deficit is dropping.

Need anything else?

May 18, 2013 at 11:27 pm |
    • jarhead333

@ "The Real Tom" You honestly think that your situation reflects America as a whole? Sounds pretty selfish. I doubt that most of America would agree. Thirty-five percent of Americans rent, and only 50% with stocks. Care to revise and speak again for all Americans?

May 18, 2013 at 11:35 pm |
    • jarhead333

P.S- National debt is up too. Please let me know how terrible Bush was again, or how awesome Obama is.

May 18, 2013 at 11:42 pm |
    • The real Tom

Nope. The economy is improving for everyone. If it's not improving for you, then I suggest you figure out what you're missing. Education, perhaps?

May 18, 2013 at 11:44 pm |
    • The real Tom

How awful Bush was and how awesome Obama is? Yeah, you're not biased at all, are you?

Go find a latrine to clean.

May 18, 2013 at 11:45 pm |
    • jarhead333

LOL as if you know me or my education. The fact that you think that the economy has improved for everyone shows your lack of knowledge.

May 18, 2013 at 11:47 pm |
    • The real Tom

The fact that you think it's just as bad as it was under Bush shows your ignorance, muttonhead.

May 18, 2013 at 11:49 pm |
    • jarhead333

Lol. You are funny. You honestly think things are better now? Numbers are not much better. I also lived some of the decisions made by Bush. I can say that my experience in the Middle East trumps your knowledge of what you read about on CNN.

May 18, 2013 at 11:53 pm |
    • The real Tom

I suspect what jarhead is really perturbed about is that Robertson is a very bad representative of Christians and it is hurtful to the poor guy to be judged based on such a poor model.

If the shoe doesn't fit, jarhead, then don't wear it. I don't judge all Christians based on that bonehead.

May 18, 2013 at 11:53 pm |
    • The real Tom

"I can say that my experience in the Middle East trumps your knowledge of what you read about on CNN."

Oh, really? And you think you know about my background and my education? Do tell.

What an arrogant jack azz you are. I have been through several recessions, child. I'm not wearing any rose-colored specs. Things are improving. If it gripes your ass that your idol Bush fvcked up, too bad. You'll just have to live with that.

May 18, 2013 at 11:55 pm |
    • jarhead333

"And you think you know about my background and my education?" So you think you know my level of education?
      "What an arrogant jack azz you are." Good comeback.
      "I have been through several recessions, child." Yet it does not sound like you have lived out the issues of the country at that time. It was needed, despite what CNN told you.

May 19, 2013 at 12:25 am |
  8. chuck

People grow apart....the dude cheated?...well....do you wanna forgive him, or move on? What are the considerations?...having the "last" word about it, or trying to save a marriage? There are kids involved, then work on it for sure....divorce has effects on kids whether you wanna admit it or not. Yeah, Pats an old dude, but he isn't really far off here.....

May 18, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
    • The real Tom

Yeah, he is. He's putting the onus on the wife for her husband's cheating. Or did you miss that part?

May 18, 2013 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Owl Creek Observer

Why is this blog called "CNN Belief Blog" when most of the stories are critical of people of faith? You should at least have the courage to call it something like "Cynical Comments about the Religious."

May 18, 2013 at 10:42 pm |
    • Observer

Owl Creek Observer,

The key question is: was this story about a major religious leader factual?

So what was your point?

May 18, 2013 at 10:51 pm |
    • Brian, Detroit

Because beliefs are only there to be proven wrong and made fun of. As we have done with christianity. Once the history of a religion is known, belief is no longer manditory and those who cling to those beliefs can be locked up as insane.

May 18, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
    • Joe Green

Get off your high horse already. Most of the honest comments that can be made about the religious are cynical.

Believe in stupid god stories and you'll be called on it. You deserve to be. The world has suffered enough already from Christianity.

May 18, 2013 at 11:20 pm |
    • Nicodemus Grumpschmidt

If it begs to be criticized, we're always happy to oblige! 😀

May 19, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
  10. Roberto

Looks like Alzheimer's has set in. Pat, time to hang it up and go to the basement and play darts...but with velcro, not metal points. I think in this time and age that you have probably lost your relevance. Don't get me wrong! I'm gettin' up there in age, too. But, I don't make pronouncements that get scattered to the world-wide media. Just realize that a time comes when you just want to sit in your den and listen to old music and reminisce about days gone by. And realize that, soon, you'll be up there in the stars looking down and saying, "Gosh, it was fun while it lasted." Enjoy the time you have left. But stay away from the cameras and the microphones, for cryin' out loud. I don't worry too much about my DNA and what my proclivities are. I've been married for 33 yrs. to the same wife. I've never wandered or even contemplated cheating on my wife. She's wonderful. Our daughter is the prize of our lives. If other men have difficulties with these issues, then, well, that's their problem. DNA or no DNA. It's a morality problem. Sheesh!! And I'm saying this as a self-confirmed atheist.

May 18, 2013 at 10:40 pm |
  11. oldowl

Thou shalt not wander a little bit.

May 18, 2013 at 10:40 pm |
  12. Vic

What I really like about incidents of this sort is that they are icebreakers and opportunities to clear things up and bring about solutions, given that they remain civil, of course! They alleviate the tension of what people are not comfortable talking about, and they promote resolving issues. In such incidents, if the statements made are correct, they resonate, and people learn from them. Otherwise, the sayers get to learn from them, hopefully, and stand corrected.

May 18, 2013 at 10:29 pm |
    • The real Tom

Wow. That was a great big bowl of nothing.

Oh, wait. It was from Vic. No news there.

May 18, 2013 at 10:30 pm |
    • Warren Moon

real Tom, yeah, bowls of nothing from Vic, bowls of word salad from LL. I'm not sure which is worse, but neither has real content.

May 18, 2013 at 11:03 pm |
    • The real Tom

Warren, they're both idiots.

May 18, 2013 at 11:05 pm |
  13. STFU

they are saints now, unless someone catches them with their pants down.

May 18, 2013 at 10:00 pm |
  14. mkaipo

Pat Roberston, nothing more than a shrug in eternity.

May 18, 2013 at 9:56 pm |
  15. Chad

@mama k "What makes little sense is that even if Tom had said she was an atheist (without any other modifier), then an answer to 'what happens after death?' of 'I don't know' should still not be a surprise to Chad. I'm sure he knows that mainstream atheism does not make knowledge claims about the unknown, but merely has disbelief in primary theistic claims. No matter how reasonable the answer 'I don't know' is to a question regarding theism vs. atheism, it is always something Chad ignores as if that option doesn't exist (and by ignoring, he never has to admit such options exist). I do know there is an occasional high atheist (that I have also debated) that will make hard claims to questions such as afterlife, but this in not the norm even here in the BB I believe. I'm sure Chad is aware of this. And I'll also say that the high atheist shares that contempt for the 'I don't know' answers that often are the best based on current knowledge."

@Chad "this is an utterly irrational statement.
    amazingly so.

If you are an atheist, you dont believe in a creator God.

this is really an amazing discovery.. apparently many atheists consider the possibility of an afterlife?

May 18, 2013 at 9:54 pm |
    • mama k

Wow – now someone else help me out here – is this the real Chad responding? Because I do have answers if it is; lol.

May 18, 2013 at 9:58 pm |
    • Observer

Chad,

So what do you think of Pat Robertson's incredible HYPOCRISY?

May 18, 2013 at 9:58 pm |
    • The real Tom

Since you have yet to acknowledge that you were unaware that I have not professed a belief or a non-belief, Chard, it's pretty hard to take you seriously, even though you obviously do so.

All of the time. In excess. So, so seriously.

May 18, 2013 at 9:58 pm |
    • myweightinwords

It really isn't all that strange at all, Chad. Buddhists are, in many instances, atheist. Yet, they believe in an afterlife of sorts.

An atheist does not believe in god. That's it. That word says absolutely nothing about anything else he/she may or may not believe.

May 18, 2013 at 9:59 pm |
    • The real Tom

mama, I don't think this is the genuine article at all. Still, it's fun to play with him, just as it's fun to dangle a string in front of my cat and watch her attack it as if it were real prey. I suspect this "Chad" has just about as much intelligence, if not less.

May 18, 2013 at 10:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I had an interesting conversation with an anesthesiologist not long ago about amnestic agents. In sum, does it matter how much pain someone feels if it's not remembered afterward – as in "Don't worry. You won't remember a thing." Whether it matters, I think, depends on what side of the painful event one is on. Likewise nil, what we can all look forward to, is often feared because of the transition we have to make from this side of it. Of course there is no pain or fear after, but getting there is a bit scary.

May 18, 2013 at 10:03 pm |
    • Chad

Robertson is a male chauvinist, really a terrible one.

Christians arent perfect, just forgiven.

May 18, 2013 at 10:05 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Imaginary forgiveness by an imaginary God doesn't put things right, Chad.

May 18, 2013 at 10:07 pm |

"Just forgiven"

Hilarious. Freaks define themselves as forgiven by authority of their delusions.

May 18, 2013 at 10:07 pm |
    • The real Tom

The only issue that would persuade me to think that this is the genuine Vegetable is its inability to acknowledge any nuances in human behavior. In the Chard's view, you're this or you're that. No grey area. All black or white.
      It never occurs to him that people aren't that simple. I guess that's because he IS just that simple.

He loves to tell atheists and agnostics EXACTLY what they believe/think, as if he has a clue. It's pretty damn funny.

May 18, 2013 at 10:07 pm |
    • The real Tom

"Christians arent perfect, just forgiven.'

Goshers, how original!!! I've NEVER heard that one before!! You're a genius, Vegetable.

May 18, 2013 at 10:08 pm |
    • Chad

Buddhists have no physical justification for their belief in reincarnation..

Look, it's simple, if you dont believe in a soul you dont believe you consist of anything more than the particles that make you up.

those particles dissemble when you die, reverting to dust.. How could that dust retain a consciousness? Do you feel the dirt you walk on contains the consciousness of the millions of people who's particles are in it?

May 18, 2013 at 10:14 pm |
    • Colin

There is a simple way to determine if this is really Chad. Chad, why, according to Judeo-Christian mythology/belief, did God make the Jews his chosen people?

May 18, 2013 at 10:14 pm |
    • Observer

Chad,

"Christians arent perfect, just forgiven."

Yep. They can be killers or as totally heartless and ignorantly hypocritical as Robertson and be forgiven, but the best person in the world who has never heard of God is sent to hell.

Sounds fair to you.

May 18, 2013 at 10:14 pm |

To deliver the Messiah

this is the real Chad...

May 18, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
    • The real Tom

"Buddhists have no physical justification for their belief in reincarnation.."

And Christians have no physical justification for their belief in heaven or hell. So?

May 18, 2013 at 10:16 pm |
    • The real Tom

Still waiting for Chard to acknowledge his mistake in thinking that he could pigeon-hole me.

Funny how easy it is for him to admit that Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven, yet impossible to affirm he fvcked up personally.

May 18, 2013 at 10:18 pm |
    • myweightinwords

@Chad,

Buddhists have no physical justification for their belief in reincarnation.

Seriously? Physical justification? Reincarnation has just as much physical justification as any other theory. There are many, many stories of children remembering past lives, giving specific names and places and even causes of death, things they would have no other way of knowing. Sure, it isn't proof, but neither are any of the so called NDEs that claim a visit to heaven or hell.

Who says that atheists don't believe in a soul? Have you asked every single atheist on the planet?

I believe in some sort of afterlife, so I'm sure you're not talking to me.

May 18, 2013 at 10:22 pm |

@Chard

Poor you.

All day long trying and failing at "I will define you."

May 18, 2013 at 10:24 pm |
    • Colin

But Chad, that begs the Question. Why were the Jews the ones to deliver the MEssiah. What made them so special?

May 18, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
    • Violette

TWO WORDS: SENILE......RETIREMENT.......

May 18, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
    • The real Tom

Don't hold your breath waiting for a response, MWIW. Chard will ignore your post until he has had sufficient time to concoct some co co ck-eyed answer that absolves him of any sort of responsibility for his own faulty reasoning.

Chard is one of those folks who never figured out that not everything fits into a neat little spreadsheet.

May 18, 2013 at 10:25 pm |

@Colin

They all want to be special. That's their way. Born in that dogma and can't ever escape it.

May 18, 2013 at 10:27 pm |
    • The real Tom

And Answer calls it. Chard wants to be able to put everybody and everything into some neat little doc ument that explains everything.

I wonder if he's on the spectrum.

May 18, 2013 at 10:27 pm |
    • Chad

@myweightinwords "I believe in some sort of afterlife, "

=>you're an atheist?
      that's pretty irrational for an atheist to say.. right?

have you ever really sat down and thought thru your position? (other than the part about you hating Christians for some unknown reason...).

May 18, 2013 at 10:30 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Of course Chad needs a simple world if only so that his simple arguments and answers can seem to work.

May 18, 2013 at 10:30 pm |
    • myweightinwords

Tom, for what it's worth I am also not an atheist, though what I do believe is seldom of interest to most on these boards.

May 18, 2013 at 10:31 pm |
    • The real Tom

If nothing else, Chard shows a complete lack, indeed an incredible lack, of imagination. How is it that he cannot fathom that an "afterlife" might not involve his Christian god?

What a twit.

May 18, 2013 at 10:32 pm |
    • Answer

"have you ever really sat down and thought thru your position? "

-- Chard.. you don't even see your own words.

I'm never surprised by the christards that post this one. Christard fail.

May 18, 2013 at 10:32 pm |
    • The real Tom

MWIW, I haven't stated whether I'm an atheist, an agnostic, or a believer. It's amusing to watch Chard and others try to tell me what I "believe."

May 18, 2013 at 10:34 pm |
    • myweightinwords

=>you're an atheist?

Nope.

that's pretty irrational for an atheist to say.. right?

Nope. As I said, Chad, an atheist doesn't believe in a god. That's all. An atheist may believe many OTHER things. They can believe in ghosts, or reincarnation or spontaneous human combustion or aliens. The word atheist only defines their belief, or lack thereof, in a god.

Where have I ever shown hatred toward Christians, Chad? In any of my posts? More specifically, where have I shown hatred at all, let alone at a Christian for the simple fact that they are a Christian?

And, I dare say, I have thought through my position on deity, souls, the afterlife as well as how to communicate my position without deciding for others what they believe, much better than many others.

May 18, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
    • Chad

@Colin "That begs the Question. Why were the Jews the ones to deliver the MEssiah. What made them so special?"

=>comments like that prove you've never read the bible, if you did, you didnt pay attention..

"For you are a holy people to The Lord your God, and God has chosen you to be his treasured people from all the nations that are on the face of the earth." Deuteronomy 14

"Now therefore, if you will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then you shall be a peculiar treasure unto me from all the peoples, for all the earth is mine" - Exodus 19

"And I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and your descendants after you." - Genesis 17

"And you shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and a holy nation" - Exodus 19

"The Lord did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because you were more in number than any people; for you were the fewest of all people; but because the Lord loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your ancestors." - Deuteronomy 7

"You only have I singled out of all the families of the earth: therefore will I visit upon you all your iniquities." – Amos 3

May 18, 2013 at 10:36 pm |

@myweightinwords, @Tom

if you arent atheists, what are you?

May 18, 2013 at 10:39 pm |
    • Colin

But, Chad, why the Jews. Why was God not having that conversation with the Romans, Persians, a tribe from Sub-Saharan Africa or the Austalian Aboriginals?

Why the Jews, out of the approximately 200 million people then alive on Earth?

May 18, 2013 at 10:44 pm |
    • myweightinwords

@Chad,

@myweightinwords, @Tom

if you arent atheists, what are you?

You have a poor memory, Chad. We have discussed this before. I can't speak for Tom, however, only myself.

I'm not sure there is a word that adequately describes my belief about deity, but the closest would likely be a combination of panentheist and polytheist.

There really is more to the world than Christianity and Atheism. A whole lot more. In fact, there are more people in the world who are not Christian than there are Christians, and beliefs that pre-date Christianity by centuries.

May 18, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • The real Tom

Never said I wasn't an atheist. Never said I was one. Guess you'll just have to wonder, Vegetable.

Funny to note, though, that you can't tell. If you can't tell, what does it matter? If it's not obvious, then why is it important? If one's behavior is indicative of one's beliefs, then why is it so difficult for you to figure out where everyone stands, Chard?

May 18, 2013 at 10:47 pm |
    • Chad

@Colin "why the Jews. Why was God not having that conversation with the Romans, Persians, a tribe from Sub-Saharan Africa or the Austalian Aboriginals?
      Why the Jews, out of the approximately 200 million people then alive on Earth?

@Chad "more proof you never read the bible..

Question, why in the world:
      1. do you feel so compelled to condemn a belief system you know nothing about

atheism is bizarre...

May 18, 2013 at 10:49 pm |

@Chard

"atheism is bizarre..." - >> translated to "my attempt failed, fvck"

We know you're a failure.

May 18, 2013 at 10:55 pm |
    • Colin

Question, why in the world:
      1. do you feel so compelled to condemn a belief system you know nothing about

May 18, 2013 at 10:56 pm |
    • The real Tom

"Question, why in the world:
      1. do you feel so compelled to condemn a belief system you know nothing about
      2. dont you think your attempts at criticism would be more accurate if you invested a small amount of time to actually get familiar with what you purport to criticize?"

Right back atcha, Chard.

It's pretty clear that don't have a clue what atheists or agnostics think. If you did, you wouldn't make idiotic statements like the one that followed the sentences above.

You are the bizarre one here.

May 18, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
    • Brian, Detroit

Atheists don't get angry, atheists just know that belief is only for those that have nothing else in their life, so if they cling to those beliefs, we make fun of them to maybe make the believer just a little more intelligent.

May 18, 2013 at 10:59 pm |

@Colin

==quoting you==

" I doubt that there is some deeper level of knowledge that will change my mind, but feel free to enlighten me."

===end===

===quoting Chard===

"have you ever really sat down and thought thru your position? "

===end===

Anyone can tell how dead in the head Chard is.

"Have you ever thought... blah blah.." is in itself saying.. "look it is you who is wrong."

This is the typical way apologists try to make you see that you are wrong - always trying and always failing. Because they just want the person to come up with the defense. Christards love using this method to say "I can never be wrong.. it is you who is wrong."

May 18, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
    • The real Tom

Unfortunately, Brian, Chard thinks he's brilliant and cannot possibly be ignorant on any subject. Therefore, no one can ever provide him with any insight he hasn't already gathered from his intensive study of every discipline ever conceived on planet Earth.

May 18, 2013 at 11:03 pm |
    • Chad

@Chad ""You'll need to do some reading on the purpose of the Law, and the purpose of the atoning work of Christ."

@Colin" Enlighten me. Don't retreat to mysticism. If you have a point, make it. What do you mean by "the purpose of the law and the purpose of the atoning work of Christ."

@Chad "A. wow, just wow.. you're on here day after day with all your "God isnt real" nonsense.. and you have zero idea what God actually is.. Amazing. I mean, seriously,, how do you rationalize that?
      B. Read Romans.
      =====
      @Chad "why do you feel so compelled to condemn a belief system you know nothing about
      @Colin "I suspect I know more about it than most. The reason I oppose it is that I believe Judeo-Christianity does more harm than good."
      @Chad "A. you know nothing about it, as you have proven here.
      B. pretty typical atheist response, you hate the religious organization, but know zero about the belief system.

===
      @Chad "dont you think your attempts at criticism would be more accurate if you invested a small amount of time to actually get familiar with what you purport to criticize?"

@Colin "Once again, I believe I know enough about it to dismiss it as Greco-Roman Jewish mythology. I doubt that there is some deeper level of knowledge that will change my mind, but feel free to enlighten me."
      @Chad "you know nothing, as you have shown.
      You dismiss it based on nothing, as you have shown.
      do some reading

good grief.. atheism is utterly irrational.

May 18, 2013 at 11:04 pm |
    • mama k

Chad: "If you are an atheist, you dont believe in a creator God."

–correct

NOTE: I personally believe that there might be a possibility that there could be some undiscovered creative force that could explain creation of life; possibly something that is no longer in present time; possibly something that was not necessarily intelligent; but rather a like a roving pilot light that moves from one part of the universe to another, possibly spanning universes. With so little known, many things, many possibilities come to mind. And with so little known, there might be things that if we did know what they were, we might then say 'ah yes, that's new, but it also can fit with other things we have already named natural.

Chad: "If you are an atheist, you think that all there is, is the universe, impersonal."

–mostly

NOTE: Since atheists disbelieve in gods including God, there is that aspect of impersonality between us and something else intelligent, at least as far as we know so far – until shown otherwise. But when you say "that is all there is", well that doesn't jive with the agnostic component of mainstream atheism. We just don't know yet that which could be significant if helping us understand creation, possible afterlife.

Chad: "How is it even possible for an atheist to consider an afterlife "unknown" at all???"

Quite simple. No one has been able to demonstrate to me (to the point of making me believe it) what happens after life.

I don't think after death I will be conscious in the same way ever again, but without knowledge, I can't say for sure.
      At this point, sometimes I think of the posts of Lionly Lamb because I think that on some sub-atomic level, maybe something happens that if we knew about it, would explain much more that still might be considered natural. Perhaps when our brains are almost dead, on some sub-atomic level data via minute levels of energy (triggered by certain key factors reaching certain levels) is transfered inward through a portal in the brain to some other dimension/universe. I know it's crazy, but as long as we don't know, there are always possibilities.

Chad: "that is bizarre..unless of course, you remember that God placed eternity in the hearts of every man, and that is precisely why atheists wonder, and get so angry.."

No, there is no anger. Why be angry at something one doesn't believe in? If there is anger, it is because theists push their religion onto atheists. But I don't doubt that many atheists, from their upbringing, are aware of the concepts of Judeo/Christian afterlife. But the lack of good evidence from theists that brought many of them (not all, some have never even known God) to their disbelief would also make them generally disbelieve in the concept that "God placed eternity in the hearts of every man", even though, because of a lack of knowledge of such, they very well, like myself, will not claim there is no possibility for some type of afterlife.

May 18, 2013 at 11:05 pm |
    • Answer

"good grief.. atheism is utterly irrational."" - >> translated to "I can't win because I can't defeat their logic."

May 18, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
    • Brian, Detroit

Atheists know more about the christian religion than most christians. We have found the actual history of the christian religion, not the false history in your book of stories, the real history about when and why the bible was written. When you want to know, just ask an atheist.

May 18, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
    • Chad

@Brian, Detroit "Atheists don't get angry"

=>oh, obviously.. I mean, it's not like you could scroll around on this very blog and see thousands of angry atheists. oh.. wait...

May 18, 2013 at 11:07 pm |
    • Chad

@Brian, Detroit "Atheists know more about the christian religion than most christians"

=>not the ones on this blog ... that's easily verified 🙂
      just scroll around...

May 18, 2013 at 11:08 pm |
    • Rachel

@Chad Keep it up =>. Win them over with volume if not substance. That's me boy 🙂

May 18, 2013 at 11:08 pm |
    • The real Tom

And of course, NO ONE could find any posts by any believers that expressed any anger, right, Chardo?

Do you have a point?

May 18, 2013 at 11:08 pm |

@Chard

===quote===

===end===

Doing the projection routine .. poor you.

Reading the words and finding anger in text. That's hilarious.

May 18, 2013 at 11:09 pm |
    • Rachel

What's a small => between conjoined twins anyway. 🙂

May 18, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
    • The real Tom

"=>not the ones on this blog ... that's easily verified
      just scroll around..."

And you wonder, Chard, why anyone, regardless of belief or lack thereof, would be fed up with your bullish!t.

May 18, 2013 at 11:10 pm |

==quote==
      Rachel

==end==

"I'm giving myself a blowjob." < - 'Rachel' must give good head.

May 18, 2013 at 11:10 pm |

So Chard..

Is 'Rachel' a blonde, brunette or a red head? XD

May 18, 2013 at 11:12 pm |

@mama k

how exactly to Christians push their belief on you?

no one is holding a gun to your head.

We live in a nation that is more than 70% Christian, is it any surprise that the belief of 3/4 of the population would be publicly acknowledged?

Christians are split down the middle on abortion and same sex marriage..

how exactly is anyone pushing their belief on you?

May 18, 2013 at 11:14 pm |

May 18, 2013 at 11:18 pm |
    • Answer

Look at the laws that you christards want to impose on the population.

May 18, 2013 at 11:18 pm |
    • Colin

So Chad, your respons is "you know nothing, read a letter of Saint Paul."

May 18, 2013 at 11:19 pm |
    • The real Tom

"is it any surprise that the belief of 3/4 of the population would be publicly acknowledged?"

When we have a secular government, yes. What "acknowledgement" do you think should by "recognized" and how, Chard, without infringing on the rights our Const itution guarantees all of us?

May 18, 2013 at 11:20 pm |

@Colin

so some reading.
      The only thing you have to lose is your ignorance of Judeo/Christianity.

May 18, 2013 at 11:27 pm |
    • The real Tom

I doubt very much that Colin is ignorant of much. You, on the other hand, Chard, have demonstrated an incredible lack of integrity here tonight.

May 18, 2013 at 11:29 pm |
    • Colin

@Chad. Still hiding, hey?

For the third time, why were the Jews God's treasured and chosen people? Why did he not make a covenant with the Chinese, Arabs, Amero-Indians or any of the other 200 million people then alive? Please, don't respond with "you know nothing now read the Bible." In your own words, why?

May 18, 2013 at 11:30 pm |
    • Chad

=>guess you somehow missed it 😉
      right?

Jews are Gods chosen people.

"Now therefore, if you will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then you shall be a peculiar treasure unto me from all the peoples, for all the earth is mine" – Exodus 19

"And I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and your descendants after you." – Genesis 17

"And you shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and a holy nation" – Exodus 19

"The Lord did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because you were more in number than any people; for you were the fewest of all people; but because the Lord loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your ancestors." – Deuteronomy 7

===
      For an explanation of the Law, and the atoning work of Jesus, dont be lazy, read Romans.

===
      "mysticism" doesnt mean what you think it means...

May 18, 2013 at 11:35 pm |

"some reading."

"lose is your ignorance of Judeo/Christianity."

--Hilarious stuff, Chard.

Label the other guy off as ignorant when they counter your bs. Tell the guy off that he is wrong and you aren't. That the guy who is confronting is the one in need of an education – to read more about your bs. To shrug off your own lack of credibility and ability to provide and /or defend your own position.

Pure hilarity.

May 18, 2013 at 11:36 pm |
    • faith

The real Tom
      "Buddhists have no physical justification for their belief in reincarnation.."

what a total idiot lol

May 18, 2013 at 11:43 pm |

==quote==

Jews are Gods chosen people.

~~blah ~blah

===end===

By whose authority are all these babblings from?

Never question the authority of this drivel... can't question this babbling authority. You're stuck in your dogma that this is authoritative. Hilarious.

May 18, 2013 at 11:44 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

From what you've said in the past, Chad, I think you believe that Jews will at some time in the future arrive at correct belief about their God. That is, what you believe about the God of Israel is something that they will not reject as they do now. How will this come about?

May 18, 2013 at 11:50 pm |
    • Colin

I'm out.

May 19, 2013 at 12:09 am |
    • faith

"The real Tom
      Idiot, do you deny that Christians are pushing school systems to teach creationism?"

terrible terrible. the horror. the sky is falling. golly. well golly. no wonder you are prepared to, nah, eager to destroy us all.

May 19, 2013 at 12:21 am |
    • faith

"Colin
      Ok, you had 3 opportunities and elected each time to simply parrot scripture. You have no credible answer as to why the creator of the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies would choose a small tribe of nomadic Jews as his "treasured and chosen people" from the 200 million people then alive, have you? I'm out."

y not?

May 19, 2013 at 12:23 am |
    • faith

tom dorothy the morons

The real Tom

acting dodo

May 19, 2013 at 12:28 am |
    • Topher

Austin, is that me?

May 19, 2013 at 1:09 am |
    • Science

Maybe it is the wedge..........or the ICR....................or YEC...............the public schools..

and Dover....................2005.............and they are still trying

May 19, 2013 at 6:50 am |

Colin

@Chad "actually, that's not correct at all. The real issue is you dont want to have to do any investigation into Christianity, so you're inventing a paucity of information on my part to run out on the discussion..

so as I said before:
      Jews are Gods chosen people

"And you shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and a holy nation" – Exodus 19

======
      It was necessary to have the Jewish nation and the inst itution of the Law, to demonstrate our need for a Saviour
      read Romans

======
      The Jews were created as a nation to deliver the Messiah, that Savior, who by His atoning work on the cross created a permanent atonment
      Read Hebrews.

============
      The reason you dont want to read, is you're simply to lazy.

Un-addressed questions on your part still:
      1. Why would you be on here day after day criticizing a belief system you know nothing about?
      2. Why are you so steadfast in your refusal to actually learn something about Christianity? What are you afraid of?

May 19, 2013 at 10:31 am |

Colin

so as I said before:
      Jews are Gods chosen people

"And you shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and a holy nation" – Exodus 19

======
      read Romans

======
      Read Hebrews.

============
      The reason you dont want to read, is you're simply to lazy.

And remember, you still have Un-addressed questions.

May 19, 2013 at 10:33 am |
    • mama k

You're trying to justify Paul, using Paul.

May 19, 2013 at 11:11 am |
    • Chad

@mama k "In your reply to Colin, you're simply talking in a circle again, Chad- you don't see that? You're trying to justify Paul, using Paul."

=>no, using paul to explain the question on Christian doctrine that colin posed (why are the Jews Gods chosen people).

right?

isnt the bible the best source of Christian doctrine 🙂

May 19, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
    • midwest rail

" And remember, you still have Un-addressed questions. "
      We have a new leader in most unintentionally funny post of the day. Well done.

May 19, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
  16. Ken Somebody

Re: “Males have a tendency to wander a little bit. And what you want to do is make a home so wonderful he doesn’t want to wander.”

It's obviously her fault for not making a wonderful home...Christ, help us, please!

May 18, 2013 at 9:46 pm |
    • The real Tom

No kidding. Because nobody EVER cheats unless home isn't perfect.

What a fvcking crock.

May 18, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
    • STFU

...may be the guy fabio living next door did not like "wonderful home"

May 18, 2013 at 9:53 pm |
  17. AB Negative

God created the universe. Many billions of years ago, a life form evolved on a planet not so far distant and their scientists deduced the building blocks for life existed in the universe and from it, new life forms could be created. These ancient ones populated Mars with life and eventually, due to asteroid events over millions of years, life arrived here on Earth. We are a product of that primeval turbulence. Therefore, we must worship the Aliens, not God. The Aliens have to worship God. This is all true because I have faith that it happened just this way.

May 18, 2013 at 9:43 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Worship seems like such a strange thing to become involved in. Why would anyone want to worship something?

May 18, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
    • AB Negative

You will have to ask the aliens Tom Tom.

May 18, 2013 at 9:50 pm |
  18. Hate the Chrisitans

Its always fun to attack anyone who says they are Christians. Gosh darn it, they remind me of God! And I don't like that.

May 18, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
    • The real Tom

That's exactly what Robertson and those who side with him don't remind me of. At all.

May 18, 2013 at 9:30 pm |
    • Observer

No one hates CHRISITANS.

May 18, 2013 at 9:44 pm |

No one expects the...

oh, never mind.

May 18, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
  19. JLS1950

Pat Robertson simply has a way of speaking a degree of truth in an unnerving way. Truth is, men do have a certain disposition to wander: so do women. Truth is, marijuana laws are not helping our country or the world, but are merely wasting resources – and lives – on a distraction (and doing so in violation of scripture, I might add.) Truth is, the U.S. did have the means to "take Chavez out" without making a big war over it... but it still would have been a very BAD idea. Pacts with the Devil and "Gay days" binging earthquakes and hurricanes and meteors? Well, that is purely a matter of "faith" – and Robertson has a right to express it whether one agrees or not. Not very profitable to the spreading of the Gospel, though, I would think!

May 18, 2013 at 9:07 pm |
  20. Grinning Libber

One sick sicko

May 18, 2013 at 9:02 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
About this blog