home
RSS
May 17th, 2013

Pat Robertson shrugs off adultery, CBN regrets the misunderstanding

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

(CNN) - The Christian Broadcasting Network regrets the misunderstanding. Again.

Pat Robertson, the network's 83-year-old founder, was not condoning adultery when he answered a viewer's quesion on "The 700 Club" this week, the network said.

The viewer said she was having difficulty forgiving her husband for cheating. Robertson said the “secret” was to “stop talking about the cheating. He cheated on you. Well, he’s a man. OK.”

Robertson went on to suggest the woman focus on why she had married her husband and whether he provided for her needs and those of their children, adding, “Is he handsome? Start focusing on these things and essentially fall in love all over again.”

“Males have a tendency to wander a little bit. And what you want to do is make a home so wonderful he doesn’t want to wander.”

CBN spokesman Chris Roslan wrote in a statement that Robertson’s “intent was not to condone infidelity or to cast blame. We regret any misunderstanding."

Robertson off-the-cuff comments over the years have perplexed and angered other Christian leaders. One Christian pastor said his New Year’s resolution was to not comment on Robertson’s gaffes for an entire year.

Here are some of Robertson's most memorable statements:

1. The U.S. should kill Chavez

In 2005 Robertson suggested the United States should assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don’t need another $200 billion war to get rid of one strong-arm dictator. It’s a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with,” he said in a segment about the now-deceased head of state.

After considerable outcry, the minister backtracked and released a statement saying, “Is it right to call for assassination? No, and I apologize for that statement. I spoke in frustration that we should accommodate the man who thinks the U.S. is out to kill him."

A U.S. State Department official called the remarks "inappropriate."

2. How bad is weed, really?

Robertson, who once ran for president as a Republican, broke ranks with religious conservatives by endorsing the legalization of marijuana. "I believe in working with the hearts of people, and not locking them up," he said in a 2010 broadcast of "The 700 Club."

Cue spokesman Chris Roslan, who wrote, “Pat has never condoned the use of, nor does he use, marijuana.”

3. You know who’s to blame for that earthquake in Haiti? Haitians.

Shortly after a 2010 earthquake in Haiti left more than 220,000 people dead and Port-au-Prince decimated, Robertson referenced a slave revolt in 1804, where, legend has it, the Haitian slaves made a deal with the devil to shake off French colonialism.

"And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you will get us free from the French.' True story. And so the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal,'" Robertson said one day after the quake.

"You know, the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after the other."

That day CBN quickly clarified: “Dr. Robertson never stated that the earthquake was God’s wrath. If you watch the entire video segment, Dr. Robertson’s compassion for the people of Haiti is clear.” In fact, while Robertson was talking about Haiti on TV, his charitable arm Operation Blessing was already on the ground providing medical treatment, food, and supplies to victims.

4. Gay days = hurricanes and possibly meteors

In June 1998, after Walt Disney World announced it would have special days for gay and lesbian families in Orlando, and city officials announced they would fly rainbow flags in support of the event, Robertson warned the city, "You're right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you."

Robertson told the Orlando Sentinel at the time that his comments were taken out of context and released a full transcript of what he said on the show:

“So if the United States wants to embrace 'degrading passions' - according to the Bible, something that the Bible says is an abomination against God - we're not in any way, shape or form hating anybody. This is not a message of hate; this is a message of redemption. But if a condition like this will bring about the destruction of your nation; if it will bring about terrorist bombs; if it'll bring about earthquakes, tornadoes and possibly a meteor, it isn't necessarily something we ought to open our arms to. And I would warn Orlando that you're right in the way of some serious hurricanes and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

soundoff (2,964 Responses)
  1. SDLisaB

"Men tend to wander"? Because they are dogs!
    No women or wife is responsible for keeping her man from straying!
    He is either a decent, loving partner of good character or NOT!
    My husband destroyed our family and my self-esteem by cheating on me with another woman for several years.
    That woman needs to forgive herself for allowing to be treated with disrespect and NOT her husband.
    How dare you make excuses and minimize this poor woman's pain and struggle!
    Have you even been cheated on Pat Robertson? Then you can't understand how it feels!

May 19, 2013 at 1:40 am |
    • Ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol

No, tell us how you really feel! Stop holding it in!

May 19, 2013 at 1:59 am |
    • Don R.

it is not just men.. my ex cheated on me with more then 10 men over 9 yrs while I was serving in the army. So dare say it is the men. Even to the point my 2nd daughter may not be mine. Never took the test due to the devastation. My ex was killed 5 months after divorce and I am all she has. So no test will be done, but the doubt is there.

May 19, 2013 at 2:17 am |
  2. lol??

Some women like to blame.

"Gen 16:5 And Sarai said unto Abram, My wrong [be] upon thee: I have given my maid into thy bosom; and when she saw that she had conceived, I was despised in her eyes: the LORD judge between me and thee."

May 19, 2013 at 1:37 am |
    • Mel

omg...the religious responses are nasuating.

May 19, 2013 at 2:01 am |
    • helikid

That was so they could have a son ... it wasn't about lust.

May 19, 2013 at 2:04 am |
  3. craig r

Pig, a zionisty pig face neocon schill and faker. He needs to be sent home to hell.

May 19, 2013 at 1:33 am |
  4. Mandrake The Magician

Don't put all the blame on Robertson. He is just saying what the idiots that send him all his money want to hear. How many of you would send back the millions he receives on moral grounds? Until the poor folks that support him stop sending in their social security money each and every month [week] he will continue to say what they want to hear. He is simply a charlatan like all of the Republicans that occupy elected office and would eat the devil's offal if it would make him money.

May 19, 2013 at 1:22 am |
    • Mel

Exactly.

May 19, 2013 at 2:04 am |
  5. Craig

Time to put the Geezer out to pasture...and then take all that money and spend it on helping people...um....sorta like what Jesus spoke about in the Bible. Christians doing christian things! What a concept.

May 19, 2013 at 1:21 am |
    • lol??

Ye ol' socie fix.

May 19, 2013 at 1:22 am |
    • Dippy

Let the "geezer" do what he does best; advance atheism. Who can listen to his bullshit ranting and not think atheism is a better choice?

May 19, 2013 at 2:34 am |
  6. Gerald

Why are people still listening to him? Do they not know he is making this stuff up as he goes?

May 19, 2013 at 1:17 am |
  7. PaulB

I just saw the trailer for the movie Rapture Palooza. Too funny! Some folks will be very offended that their favorite fantasy is being poked at.

May 19, 2013 at 1:05 am |
    • lol??

The underlying apostasy of rapturists is that the circu*mcision, after the flesh, are still God's chosen. WWwwwwhhhhhoa, sounds like Esau pushin' off his born again birthright!! Great way to become hated by God.

Hbr 12:16 Lest there [be] any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.

May 19, 2013 at 1:21 am |
  8. My current thoughts

God is boring, but Pat Robertson isn't.

May 19, 2013 at 12:45 am |
    • My current thoughts

Men do stray.
      Chavez is a demagogue of the lowest order.
      Haitians got their current situation from being corrupt allowers of corrupt behavior in every conceivable way. If Robertson sees this as a 'pact with the devil', so be it. He's not far off the mark.
      The gay = bad weather and meteors is bizarre, however gay people are just as bad and good as everyone else. I don't care if there are gay bashers, welcome to the world stage gay people.

May 19, 2013 at 12:49 am |
    • Wayne

He makes me want to run out and become a Christian. Right!

May 19, 2013 at 1:03 am |
    • John

I have to go along with Pat on this one. If we learned anything from Bill Clinton's adulterous affairs, it was to forgive and look instead at the good things a person does.

May 19, 2013 at 1:10 am |
  9. Christina

I hope that MF Pat Robertson gets shot . Freakin retard!!!!!!!

May 19, 2013 at 12:45 am |
  10. Gold Dragon©

Pat just showing his true hypocritical nature.

May 19, 2013 at 12:23 am |
    • The ghost

he has been graced with the blood he can do no wrong –but you you have not the blood of christ on you –you are without grace and you are who we come for.

May 19, 2013 at 12:31 am |
    • Larry

...to Gold Dragon... Truer words were nevef spoken. He is the worst. His poor wife also must be sooo embarrassed.

May 19, 2013 at 12:39 am |
  11. ssachida

Only in America among the western world, Morons like Pat Robertson can be a billionaire with huge following.

May 19, 2013 at 12:10 am |
    • Frank

He's not a "billionaire," you drama queen, but there are plenty of stupid, slimey rich people all over the world, but every foreigner in the world is so fixated on and envious of American that that's the people they focus on. You're probably a foreigner, so why are you here trolling an American news agency's website? Why aren't you reading about all the interesting things going on in your fill-in-the-blank country? That was a rhetorical question, by the way.

May 19, 2013 at 12:39 am |
    • Larry

...to ssachida... "Moron" is too polite. He is a POS big time.

May 19, 2013 at 12:41 am |
    • lol??

The socies have chameleon skins. Daddy was a democrat, big time.

May 19, 2013 at 12:47 am |
  12. lol??

Gen 12:17 And the LORD plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai Abram's wife.

What's gonna happen to the world because of Jesus' bride??

May 19, 2013 at 12:02 am |
    • The ghost

payback

May 19, 2013 at 12:19 am |
    • The ghost

Thats why he made me!

May 19, 2013 at 12:20 am |
    • The ghost

with my words will it come into being!

May 19, 2013 at 12:23 am |
    • The ghost

our time draws near sinner repent before its to late!

May 19, 2013 at 12:25 am |
    • The ghost

Is it evil to destroy the wicked?

May 19, 2013 at 12:26 am |
    • PaulB

Abraham lied to Pharaoh, telling him that Sarah was his sister, right? How was that Pharaoh's sin?

May 19, 2013 at 12:39 am |
    • lol??

Could it be they considered themselves the son's of Ra RA Sis boom bah, PaulB??

May 19, 2013 at 12:59 am |
  13. Colin

Jarhead333, Chad, the nature of atheism precludes me from being able to spek for anybody other than myself, but the "reasons" I am an atheist are below. I say "reasons" becuase it is more a description of a process by which I achieved atheism.

I was brought up a theist – a Judo-Christian, but the particular belief is not all that relevant. I had to do my own thinking to rise above the beliefs that still occupy the mind of the believer. This involved developing a good, accurate view of the natural Universe and overcoming significant social pressure to conform. The more I came to understand the Universe, the less reason there was to believe in a god and the more I came to understand human nature, the more I understood why billions of us still do.

While rejecting the supernatural elements of the Bible, I nevertheless retain a large amount of the morality taught today by mainstream Christianity. To the extent I reject Christian morality, it is where it is mean spirited – such as in the way it seeks to curtail freedoms or oppose the rights of $exual minorities. In most other respects, my basic moral outlook is indistinguishable from that of the liberal Christian – I just don’t need the mother of all carrots and sticks hanging over my head in order to act in a manner that I consider moral.

I have (somewhat disappointingly) found that I know more about the Bible than most believers. This is because I took the time to read it myself and not rely on the primary-color simple stories I learned in Sunday school. I have also done some basic research into the historical Jesus and have a good handle on where he REALLY fit in to the broader picture of the Middle East at the time. Needless to say, his miracles and other magic powers soon started to look pretty unlikely.

I have also (disappointingly) found that my knowledge of basic science and history is much stronger than that of your average believer. This is no pat on my own back, it is 100% due to the Christian Brothers at the school I went to, ironic as that may be. I have a very basic working knowledge of science and a good idea of the history of life on this planet. This has somewhat put me in a position to judge the claims of the Bible in a critical light and they are almost always found wanting. To the theist, this, apparently, makes me “elitist” and ‘arrogant”.

I relish the atheist’s role as a religious minority in the USA, as this gives us an impetus to fight and I understand how others with unpopular, but doubtlessly correct views have felt throughout history. There is something altogether satisfying to me about having a deep conviction I am right, but am being viewed with disdain for my views by the errant majority. Odd, I’ll admit, but true.

I have a deep, genuine and almost religious appreciation of the fathomless beauty and unbelievable complexity of our Universe, from the 4 nucleotides that orchestrate every aspect of me, through to the enormity of the distant quasars, without having to think it was all made for me. I get more out of being the irrelevant ant staring up at the cosmos than I do in having to pretend that it was all made to turn in majestic black-and-white pirouette about me.

While I have a survival instinct, I cannot fear death in the simple way the believer does. I know that the whole final judgment story, where I may be sent to hell if I fail, is Dark Ages nonsense meant to keep the Church’s authority. I also know that I was dead for 13,720,000,000 years before I was born.

It is impossible for me to fear death, for the simple reason that I have been there before. I know the capacity to feel pain, or to regret or to fear itself dies. I will not even know I am dead. Fear of death is as meaningless to me as is the fear of a vacuum, the fear of not being born. I feel a lot more secure, and indeed a deep comfort, in this knowledge, than I would in trying to yoke myself to some quasi-hope from Greco-Roman Palestine that every part of my intellect tells me is untenable.

So, that's why I am an atheist. I have no idea why anybody else is, but am pretty confident that I am not be the first human being who has felt this way. In fact, I doubt I have had an original thought in my life, given the countless billions who have preceeded my generation.

May 19, 2013 at 12:00 am |
    • lol??

Ran out of gods, huh??

Jhn 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

May 19, 2013 at 12:04 am |
    • The real Tom

Just wake up from your nap on the floor, lolly? Was that 6th beer too much for you?

May 19, 2013 at 12:06 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Thank you, Colin. I see religion, not theism necessarily, as a sort of virus. I think such things are inevitable in complex systems where information is moved about and transformed. I've known it to try to run on me, but it seems to fail. I see it flourish in some, fail in others. I think it needs something in order to work and not all of us have whatever that is.

May 19, 2013 at 12:12 am |
    • Brad

Had to comment on your comment. People ask my if God is real or not, and I tell them I can prove neither, that it is something they must find on their own. I too was a hard core Christian. I read the bible multiple times, studied it, researched it, preached it and gave surmins. I had a deep interest in science also, due to my love and aww of God. The more they learned though, the more I started to realize something wasn't up. They started learning more about the invisible aspect of the universe, and about human and animal behavior, and I begin to see the same things you spoke of. Kinda cool to see someone else talk about that. I fear death for only one reason, it drives me nuts that I will not be there to see the next great discovery.

May 19, 2013 at 12:33 am |
    • rgray

Thank you Colin you have echoed the thoughts of my soul.

May 19, 2013 at 12:39 am |
    • Beth

I pretty much ❤ you

May 19, 2013 at 12:45 am |
    • Lizard Lance

I respect your belief Colin but I do not agree with it. It is difficult to me through my adventures through life to simply discount a collection of 66 books written by 40 people from three different continents, particularly when not one of those 66 books conflicts with another. We can't rationally choose and dismiss what books from history we choose to believe if we are truly open minded toward acceptance of all evidence. You make a good case on the surface but down below your foundation is riddled with a number of cracks.

I spent my formulative years in college and the few years beyond skeptical of all religion but as I grew wiser and far more knowledgable I grew to know fully that God created our universe and He created us as well.

By the way, I am a scientist. I, as you, have tried to reach absolute truth through science and that is why I cannot help but know that Jesus did walk on this earth and that He is the way to eternal life.

May 19, 2013 at 12:54 am |
    • Roger that

I cannot fear death. I was dead for 13,720,000,000 years before I was born.

That's an interesting concept.

May 19, 2013 at 1:02 am |
    • Observer

"particularly when not one of those 66 books conflicts with another"

Nope. Not even closel. Books of the Bible can't even agree on what ages men became kings. There's different versions of Jesus's last words, etc..

May 19, 2013 at 1:02 am |
    • Colin

Lizard Lance said, "It is difficult to me through my adventures through life to simply discount a collection of 66 books written by 40 people from three different continents, particularly when not one of those 66 books conflicts with another."

Well, not quite. One result of the length of time over which the Old Testament was written, coupled with the plethora of authors who contributed to it, is that it is internally very inconsistent. In fact, it is no exaggeration to say that the Old Testament is littered with contradictions and inconsistent stories. When the New Testament is added to the mix, the contradictions multiply. Here is a short list of 50 of them.There are many more.

1. God is satisfied with his works
      Gen 1:31
      God is dissatisfied with his works.
      Gen 6:6

2. God dwells in chosen temples
      2 Chron 7:12,16
      God dwells not in temples
      Acts 7:48

3. God dwells in light
      Tim 6:16
      God dwells in darkness
      1 Kings 8:12/ Ps 18:11/ Ps 97:2

4. God is seen and heard
      Ex 33:23/ Ex 33:11/ Gen 3:9,10/ Gen 32:30/ Is 6:1/
      Ex 24:9-11
      God is invisible and cannot be heard
      John 1:18/ John 5:37/ Ex 33:20/ 1 Tim 6:16

5. God is tired and rests
      Ex 31:17
      God is never tired and never rests
      Is 40:28

6. God is everywhere present, sees and knows all things
      Prov 15:3/ Ps 139:7-10/ Job 34:22,21
      God is not everywhere present, neither sees nor knows all
      things
      Gen 11:5/ Gen 18:20,21/ Gen 3:8

7. God knows the hearts of men
      Acts 1:24/ Ps 139:2,3
      God tries men to find out what is in their heart
      Deut 13:3/ Deut 8:2/ Gen 22:12

8. God is all powerful
      Jer 32:27/ Matt 19:26
      God is not all powerful
      Judg 1:19

9. God is unchangeable
      James 1:17/ Mal 3:6/ Ezek 24:14/ Num 23:19
      God is changeable
      Gen 6:6/ Jonah 3:10/ 1 Sam 2:30,31/ 2 Kings 20:1,4,5,6/
      Ex 33:1,3,17,14

10. God is just and impartial
      Ps 92:15/ Gen 18:25/ Deut 32:4/ Rom 2:11/ Ezek 18:25
      God is unjust and partial
      Gen 9:25/ Ex 20:5/ Rom 9:11-13/ Matt 13:12

11. God is the author of evil
      Lam 3:38/ Jer 18:11/ Is 45:7/ Amos 3:6/ Ezek 20:25
      God is not the author of evil
      1 Cor 14:33/ Deut 32:4/ James 1:13

12. God gives freely to those who ask
      James 1:5/ Luke 11:10
      God withholds his blessings and prevents men from receiving
      them
      John 12:40/ Josh 11:20/ Is 63:17

13. God is to be found by those who seek him
      Matt 7:8/ Prov 8:17
      God is not to be found by those who seek him
      Prov 1:28

14. God is warlike
      Ex 15:3/ Is 51:15
      God is peaceful
      Rom 15:33/ 1 Cor 14:33

15. God is cruel, unmerciful, destructive, and ferocious
      Jer 13:14/ Deut 7:16/ 1 Sam 15:2,3/ 1 Sam 6:19
      God is kind, merciful, and good
      James 5:11/ Lam 3:33/ 1 Chron 16:34/ Ezek 18:32/ Ps 145:9/
      1 Tim 2:4/ 1 John 4:16/ Ps 25:8

16. God's anger is fierce and endures long
      Num 32:13/ Num 25:4/ Jer 17:4
      God's anger is slow and endures but for a minute
      Ps 103:8/ Ps 30:5

17. God commands, approves of, and delights in burnt offerings,
      sacrifices ,and holy days
      Ex 29:36/ Lev 23:27/ Ex 29:18/ Lev 1:9
      God disapproves of and has no pleasure in burnt offerings,
      sacrifices, and holy days.
      Jer 7:22/ Jer 6:20/ Ps 50:13,4/ Is 1:13,11,12

18. God accepts human sacrifices
      2 Sam 21:8,9,14/ Gen 22:2/ Judg 11:30-32,34,38,39
      God forbids human sacrifice
      Deut 12:30,31

19. God tempts men
      Gen 22:1/ 2 Sam 24:1/ Jer 20:7/ Matt 6:13
      God tempts no man
      James 1:13

20. God cannot lie
      Heb 6:18
      God lies by proxy; he sends forth lying spirits t deceive
      2 Thes 2:11/ 1 Kings 22:23/ Ezek 14:9

21. Because of man's wickedness God destroys him
      Gen 6:5,7
      Because of man's wickedness God will not destroy him
      Gen 8:21

22. God's attributes are revealed in his works.
      Rom 1:20
      God's attributes cannot be discovered
      Job 11:7/ Is 40:28

23. There is but one God
      Deut 6:4
      There is a plurality of gods
      Gen 1:26/ Gen 3:22/ Gen 18:1-3/ 1 John 5:7

27. Killing commanded
      Ex 32:27
      Killing forbidden
      Ex 20:13

28. The blood-shedder must die
      Gen 9:5,6
      The blood-shedder must not die
      Gen 4:15

29. The making of images forbidden
      Ex 20:4
      The making of images commanded
      Ex 25:18,20

32. Anger approved
      Eph 4:26
      Anger disapproved
      Eccl 7:9/ Prov 22:24/ James 1:20

33. Good works to be seen of men
      Matt 5:16
      Good works not to be seen of men
      Matt 6:1

34. Judging of others forbidden
      Matt 7:1,2
      Judging of others approved
      1 Cor 6:2-4/ 1 Cor 5:12

35. Christ taught non-resistance
      Matt 5:39/ Matt 26:52
      Christ taught and practiced physical resistance
      Luke 22:36/ John 2:15

36. Christ warned his followers not to fear being killed
      Luke 12:4
      Christ himself avoided the Jews for fear of being killed
      John 7:1

37. Public prayer sanctioned
      1 Kings 8:22,54, 9:3
      Public prayer disapproved
      Matt 6:5,6

38. Importunity in prayer commended
      Luke 18:5,7
      Importunity in prayer condemned
      Matt 6:7,8

39. The wearing of long hair by men sanctioned
      Judg 13:5/ Num 6:5
      The wearing of long hair by men condemned
      1 Cor 11:14

Jesus Christ broke the Sabbath and justified his disciples in
      the same John 5:16/ Matt 12:1-3,5

44. Baptism commanded
      Matt 28:19
      Baptism not commanded
      1 Cor 1:17,14

45. Every kind of animal allowed for food.
      Gen 9:3/ 1 Cor 10:25/ Rom 14:14
      Certain kinds of animals prohibited for food.
      Deut 14:7,8

49. Adultery forbidden
      Ex 20:14/ Heb 13:4
      Adultery allowed
      Num 31:18/ Hos 1:2; 2:1-3

50. Marriage or cohabitation with a sister denounced
      Deut 27:22/ Lev 20:17
      Abraham married his sister and God blessed the union
      Gen 20:11,12/ Gen 17:16

Secondly, you say it was compiled on three continents. That is just because the Jews lived in the Eastern Mediterranean, where Africa, Asia and Europe intersect. It is a bit like a fruit vendor in Istanbul claiming he has "operations in two continents" because he opened a second fruit stall on the other side of the Bosporus.

May 19, 2013 at 4:47 am |
  14. Daryl Revok

First off, I could really care less about this guy, anyone who take him seriously is a believer in fairy tales and ghost stories..so their legitimacy as a rational adult is completely suspect to begin with. When will these delusional freaks finally be ridiculed out of existence.

May 18, 2013 at 11:59 pm |
    • Don Camp

One irrational individual is enough to make you reject a worldview that has 2 billion followers? One irrational individual negates the rational considerations of many of the most intelligent men and women in history? Okay. That makes sense to me.

May 19, 2013 at 12:11 am |
    • Dippy

You really "could" care less or "couldn't" care less?" Which is it? You've got me confused.

May 19, 2013 at 1:18 am |
  15. coreyjayb

The world will be a better place when this hateful weasel dies.

May 18, 2013 at 11:35 pm |
  16. Observer

jarhead333

"@Observer. Really. Plummeting? Tell me how after all of this time we are better off."

05/19/08 – 13,028
    06/20/08 – DROPPED to below 12,000
    07/15/08 – DROPPED to below 11,000
    10/06/08 – DROPPED to below 10,000
    10/09/08 – DROPPED to below 9,000
    01/16/09 – DROPPED to 8,281 (Bush’s last day)

Millions of Americans have their retirement funds restored after they were facing losing them while the Dow plunged.

May 18, 2013 at 11:33 pm |
    • ottomedic51@gmail.com

BRAVO!!!

May 18, 2013 at 11:45 pm |
    • The real Tom

No kidding. Jarhead is an ignoramus if he imagines that things are not better now than they were 4 and a half years ago. The debt is dropping. The market has broken records. Housing prices are rising. Housing starts are rising. The only people griping are the Republicans. And jarhead.

May 18, 2013 at 11:48 pm |
    • Observer

And President Obama hasn't started any $2,000,000,000,000 wars for false reasons like Bush and the Republicans did.

May 18, 2013 at 11:51 pm |
    • jarhead333

You are all right. Hope and Change has happened for EVERYONE. I agree that housing markets have rebounded, but that also was not Bushes fault either. The sad thing is that it sounds like that most of you think that all is good in the world now. There are some serious issues left to be addressed. Republican or Democrat, I just don't think that we have the proper pieces in place to improve our country.

May 19, 2013 at 12:01 am |
    • The real Tom

Oh? And I'm sure you can tell us all what those "proper pieces" are, being as you're a high-ranking guy who has spent decades learning how the economy operates, how world markets are affected by all kind of events, and so on. Why don't you outline for all of us your plan for doing a better job than your nemesis Obama, jarhead? Go ahead. I'm sure the President and his advisors would be all ears. We'll be sure to pass along your wisdom on the subject if you're too modest to do so.

May 19, 2013 at 12:05 am |
    • Observer

jarhead333

"The sad thing is that it sounds like that most of you think that all is good in the world now."

Nobody said that but you. Try again.

May 19, 2013 at 12:05 am |
    • jarhead333

@ "The Real Tom"

I guess you think that all of the proper pieces are in order then? Tell me again how aweful the Bush administration was or how he specifically was a detriment to the country. Like I said, there is a lot of work to be done. Still waiting.

May 19, 2013 at 12:17 am |
    • Roger that

Tell me jarhead333, is one your proper pieces a "Mama Grizzly"?

May 19, 2013 at 12:22 am |
    • Observer

jarhead333

@ "The Real Tom"

"I guess you think that all of the proper pieces are in order then?" Nobody said that but you. Stick to what people REALLY said.

"Tell me again how aweful the Bush administration was or how he specifically was a detriment to the country." We've already been through that. He started a $2,000,000,000,000 war for false reasons for a starter.

Why not READ what people said before commenting? That way you won't have to make things up.

May 19, 2013 at 12:27 am |
    • jarhead333

@Observer
      False reasons? Do you honestly think that all Americans NEED to know the exact reasons why we go into a war? It was needed, regardless of popular opinion. If you would have been there, then you would understand.

May 19, 2013 at 12:35 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

You mean the war in Iraq? What exactly did you see that, for you, justified the costs of that war?

May 19, 2013 at 12:39 am |
    • Observer

jarhead333,

Bush sent 15 times as many soldiers into a nation having nothing to do with 9/11 as he sent after the people responsible for 9/11. But Bush said he wasn't concerned about bin Laden anyway.

If he hadn't done that we'd have 4,000 more live Americans, over 30,000 fewer wounded Americans, and Iraq would be fighting Iran rather than us fighting both of them. Who knows? We might also have had one less Boston Marathon bombing.

May 19, 2013 at 12:41 am |
    • jarhead333

@ "Tom Tom" justified the costs of that war? Is that how you think the world operates?
      @Observer. "If he hadn't done that we'd have 4,000 more live Americans, over 30,000 fewer wounded Americans." Of your stat of 30,000, how many do you think would trade their issues for anything. The truth is that most believe in what they were doing, even after they lost limbs. Ask around. In the first few months, America was all about the war. Somehow, the media swayed simple mided people. You have no idea what goes on over there. Men, women, and children were begging for our assistance. Call it what you want to, and blame it on Bush if you mush, the truth is, you have no idea.

May 19, 2013 at 12:51 am |
    • Observer

Jarhead333,

"the truth is, you have no idea."

The TRUTH is that Bush spent $2,000,000,000,000 on a war for false reasons (he gave a few different FALSE REASONS) that KILLED 4,000 Americans and wounded over 30,000. FACTS.

Speaking of having no idea, I'm not the person who didn't know that the stock market was plummeting at the end of the Bush years.

May 19, 2013 at 1:16 am |
    • Observer

jarhead333,

"Somehow, the media swayed simple mided people."

lol. Get serious. The simple minded people were in the Bush administration and other Republicans like John McCain who all assured us that it was going to be a quick easy war. It wasn't the media that changed people's minds but the FACT that they had been lied to by many top Republicans.

May 19, 2013 at 1:22 am |
  17. Parker

What a dirt bag ...

May 18, 2013 at 11:32 pm |
  18. Puddin

C'm on; let's keep it clean, you pottie mouths). Pat Robertson is the biggest fake and male chauvinist pig there ever was. Judge not, lest you be judged....but I can have an opinion......

May 18, 2013 at 11:31 pm |
  19. myweightinwords

Chad,

I can't help but notice that you constantly attempt to tell Atheists what they believe, but when an Atheist tells you what Christians believe you get upset and tell them that they clearly haven't read your bible.

Do you not see how hypocritical that is?

Wouldn't it serve you more to ask people what they actually believe, rather than deciding for them and then telling them how they're wrong?

Which isn't to say that the Atheists who do it are right either. I point you out because you are the most blatant example this evening.

May 18, 2013 at 11:22 pm |
    • The real Tom

Watch now as Chard ignores your post or attempts to tell you that you don't know what you're talking about.

May 18, 2013 at 11:25 pm |
    • jarhead333

Atheists believing? Isn't that an oximoron? You love to beat down Christians but do not have a common belief other than to hate on Christians. Thats how I see it anyway.

May 18, 2013 at 11:29 pm |
      • myweightinwords

I am not an atheist and I do not hate anyone. So what you see is clearly incorrect.

May 19, 2013 at 12:09 am |
      • myweightinwords

And to reiterate, an atheist doesn't believe in God, that does not mean they do not believe in other things.

May 19, 2013 at 12:10 am |
    • Answer

Dipsh!t christards can't even think out the difference in the word usage of "believing."

I'm not surprised by the utter attempt at an insult.

May 18, 2013 at 11:31 pm |
    • tallulah13

That's what you "see", jarjar, because you are an ignorant prat. The single thing that atheists automatically have in common is that they don't believe in any god. That's it.

And by the way, I'm not calling you a prat because you are a christian. I'm calling you a prat because of your individual behavior.

May 18, 2013 at 11:34 pm |
    • The real Tom

Jarjar is a little prick who thinks the world revolves around his experiences. I'll wager he's about 25 and thinks he's seen it all.

May 18, 2013 at 11:59 pm |
    • Bonner

jarhead333 is definitely a tiny little fellow.

May 19, 2013 at 1:12 am |
  20. Reality

Saving Christians like P. Robertson from the Infamous Resurrection Con:

From that famous passage: In 1 Corinthians 15: 14, Paul reasoned, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith."

To wit;

From a major Catholic university's theology professor’s grad school white-board notes:

Jesus and Mary's bodies are therefore not in Heaven.

Only Luke records it. (Luke mentions it in his gospel and Acts, i.e. a single attestation and therefore historically untenable). The Ascension ties Jesus' mission to Pentecost and missionary activity of Jesus' followers.

The Assumption has multiple layers of symbolism, some are related to Mary's special role as "Christ bearer" (theotokos). It does not seem fitting that Mary, the body of Jesus' Virgin-Mother (another biblically based symbol found in Luke 1) would be derived by worms upon her death. Mary's assumption also shows God's positive regard, not only for Christ's male body, but also for female bodies." "

The Vatican quickly embellished this story with a lot CYAP.

With respect to rising from the dead, we also have this account:

An added note: As per R.B. Stewart in his introduction to the recent book, The Resurrection of Jesus, Crossan and Wright in Dialogue,

p.4

p.168. by Ted Peters:

Even so, asking historical questions is our responsibility. Did Jesus really rise from the tomb? Is it necessary to have been raised from the tomb and to appear to his disciples in order to explain the rise of early church and the transcription of the bible? Crossan answers no, Wright answers, yes. "

So where are the bones"? As per Professor Crossan's analyses in his many books, the body of Jesus would have ended up in the mass graves of the crucified, eaten by wild dogs, covered with lime in a shallow grave, or under a pile of stones.

May 18, 2013 at 11:21 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
About this blog