home
RSS
May 17th, 2013

Pat Robertson shrugs off adultery, CBN regrets the misunderstanding

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

(CNN) - The Christian Broadcasting Network regrets the misunderstanding. Again.

Pat Robertson, the network's 83-year-old founder, was not condoning adultery when he answered a viewer's quesion on "The 700 Club" this week, the network said.

The viewer said she was having difficulty forgiving her husband for cheating. Robertson said the “secret” was to “stop talking about the cheating. He cheated on you. Well, he’s a man. OK.”

Robertson went on to suggest the woman focus on why she had married her husband and whether he provided for her needs and those of their children, adding, “Is he handsome? Start focusing on these things and essentially fall in love all over again.”

“Males have a tendency to wander a little bit. And what you want to do is make a home so wonderful he doesn’t want to wander.”

CBN spokesman Chris Roslan wrote in a statement that Robertson’s “intent was not to condone infidelity or to cast blame. We regret any misunderstanding."

Robertson off-the-cuff comments over the years have perplexed and angered other Christian leaders. One Christian pastor said his New Year’s resolution was to not comment on Robertson’s gaffes for an entire year.

Here are some of Robertson's most memorable statements:

1. The U.S. should kill Chavez

In 2005 Robertson suggested the United States should assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don’t need another $200 billion war to get rid of one strong-arm dictator. It’s a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with,” he said in a segment about the now-deceased head of state.

After considerable outcry, the minister backtracked and released a statement saying, “Is it right to call for assassination? No, and I apologize for that statement. I spoke in frustration that we should accommodate the man who thinks the U.S. is out to kill him."

A U.S. State Department official called the remarks "inappropriate."

2. How bad is weed, really?

Robertson, who once ran for president as a Republican, broke ranks with religious conservatives by endorsing the legalization of marijuana. "I believe in working with the hearts of people, and not locking them up," he said in a 2010 broadcast of "The 700 Club."

Cue spokesman Chris Roslan, who wrote, “Pat has never condoned the use of, nor does he use, marijuana.”

3. You know who’s to blame for that earthquake in Haiti? Haitians.

Shortly after a 2010 earthquake in Haiti left more than 220,000 people dead and Port-au-Prince decimated, Robertson referenced a slave revolt in 1804, where, legend has it, the Haitian slaves made a deal with the devil to shake off French colonialism.

"And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you will get us free from the French.' True story. And so the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal,'" Robertson said one day after the quake.

"You know, the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after the other."

That day CBN quickly clarified: “Dr. Robertson never stated that the earthquake was God’s wrath. If you watch the entire video segment, Dr. Robertson’s compassion for the people of Haiti is clear.” In fact, while Robertson was talking about Haiti on TV, his charitable arm Operation Blessing was already on the ground providing medical treatment, food, and supplies to victims.

4. Gay days = hurricanes and possibly meteors

In June 1998, after Walt Disney World announced it would have special days for gay and lesbian families in Orlando, and city officials announced they would fly rainbow flags in support of the event, Robertson warned the city, "You're right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you."

Robertson told the Orlando Sentinel at the time that his comments were taken out of context and released a full transcript of what he said on the show:

“So if the United States wants to embrace 'degrading passions' - according to the Bible, something that the Bible says is an abomination against God - we're not in any way, shape or form hating anybody. This is not a message of hate; this is a message of redemption. But if a condition like this will bring about the destruction of your nation; if it will bring about terrorist bombs; if it'll bring about earthquakes, tornadoes and possibly a meteor, it isn't necessarily something we ought to open our arms to. And I would warn Orlando that you're right in the way of some serious hurricanes and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

soundoff (2,964 Responses)
  1. 人気 鞄

バック 通販 人気 鞄 http://www.dfwantong.com/レディースバッグ-v5zr4w-2.html/

October 26, 2013 at 4:19 am |
  2. シャネル ポシェット

シャネル バッグ マトラッセ シャネル ポシェット http://www.tinochem.com/レディース財布-jt9y-2.html/

October 26, 2013 at 4:19 am |
  3. 鞄 人気 女性

楽天 かばん 鞄 人気 女性 http://www.qznuopu.com/chanelシャネル-kl-1.html/

October 26, 2013 at 4:19 am |
  4. Padres Seating Chart

Nice blog post please tell me more. Look at Padres Seating Chart here.

October 19, 2013 at 5:38 pm |
  5. ロレックス エクスプローラー 中古

アクセサリー ブランド 人気 ロレックス エクスプローラー 中古 http://www.os09.com/

October 16, 2013 at 4:54 am |
  6. Renee LePage

Hi,Pat and Terry could you please start reading my "Bring it on guestions" on the 700 club.I've been watching the 700 club everyday for my reguests to be answered.I really need a lot of prayers.

August 15, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
  7. web hosting

Today, I went to the beach with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!| web hosting http://bestuff.com/profile/enginetooth3

August 4, 2013 at 1:14 pm |
  8. ulimited hosting

Great items from you, man. I've keep in mind your stuff previous to and you are simply extremely wonderful. I really like what you've received right here, certainly like what you're saying and the best way in which you say it. You're making it enjoyable and you still take care of to stay it wise. I can not wait to read far more from you. That is actually a tremendous website.| ulimited hosting http://intensedebate.com/people/dill1colt

August 4, 2013 at 1:14 pm |
  9. linux hosting

When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get three e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks a lot!| linux hosting http://bestuff.com/profile/enginetooth3

August 4, 2013 at 12:59 pm |
  10. Aurelio Mccelland

Indigestion is caused by stomach acid coming into contact with the sensitive, protective lining of the digestive system. The stomach acid breaks down the lining, leading to irritation and inflammation (soreness and swelling). This causes the symptoms of indigestion.*,,;

View the helpful short article on our new web site

June 23, 2013 at 4:51 am |
  11. dr. pantsov

I'll be so glad when he's dead.

June 15, 2013 at 8:46 am |
    • Reading along

I've made it for a good many years and barely knew he was alive. You probably can too.

June 26, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
  12. Nate

Robertson is a false prophet. In the bible days he would have been stoned.

June 14, 2013 at 12:58 am |
  13. Moses

Pat Robertson is a senile old fart and anyone who takes anything he say seriously is as deluded as Robertson.

June 12, 2013 at 12:11 am |
  14. lazarus00000

Poor Pat is the best friend of the liberal left, socialism and Athesist everywhere. At least he did not condone the killing of the wife as with Islam's interpretation of the OT.
    Lazarus

June 10, 2013 at 11:23 am |
    • Mary Rogers

Yeah Christians don't seem to get the fact that radical Islam's foundation is in their own Holy Book, the Bible.

June 12, 2013 at 11:33 pm |
  15. Norris Feinman

rain tumors are diagnosed by the doctor based on the results of a medical history and physical examination and results of a variety of specialized tests of the brain and nervous system. Treatment of a brain tumor depends on the type, location, and size of the tumor, as well as the age and health of the patient.^....;

Our very own web site
    <http://healthfitnessbook.com

June 10, 2013 at 1:40 am |
  16. Robert

Pat Robertson. The best thing to happen to Atheism in a long time. We don't need to say a thing. Pat handles it so well!

June 9, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
    • bumblebee

Just by reading this, I can tell what he was saying. He was Answering the Question!

She "Wanted" to forgive her husband, No One Said She Had To.
      She Said She was Having Trouble doing so. What? How can she Accomplish this, and go on with Her Marriage?

He Told Her To Focus On The Positive things, things that made her fall in Love with Him. To Save Her Marriage.

This was HER CHOICE, She was Merely Asking His Advice on "How To" and that's it!

Keep taking EVERYTHING Out of Context. He Answered Her. Question, Period. When were in Heaven, and your not, need I say more.

Adultery is One of ONLY a couple of Valid Biblical Reasons for Divorce. Anyone can Tell You That!

October 1, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
  17. Weston Monholland

Although most black eye injuries aren't serious, bleeding within the eye, called a hyphema, is serious and can reduce vision and damage the cornea. In some cases, abnormally high pressure inside the eyeball (ocular hypertension) also can result.`..,'

Take a peek at our own blog site as well
    <http://www.homeimprovementstuffs.com

June 8, 2013 at 11:33 pm |
  18. Goaty McCheese

Actually I kind of agree with all those statements. Especially the gay earthquakes – they are caused by all that hoofing in Broadway shows.

June 6, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
  19. shelia

Pat Robertson, Where's your racist comments about the tornados in Oklahoma? The Black Wall Street Race Riot in Tulsa Oklahoma in the late 1920's. There was no Earthly punishment for your people evilness. Maybe, you're are reaping the sad tragedy of what your ancestors did.

June 3, 2013 at 10:43 am |
  20. Kieth T. Maxwell

Pat Robertson and his ilk are the great deception.

June 1, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
About this blog