home
RSS
June 5th, 2013

A plea from an exhausted Muslim woman

Opinion by Melody Moezzi, Special to CNN

(CNN) I wasn’t surprised by former British Prime Minister Tony Blair's recent statement about a “problem within Islam.”

It's not as though I've never heard anything like it before. I hear it all the time.

Still, his words in response to a recent attack in London that left a British soldier dead made me wonder: How might the public have reacted in a different context, had Blair replaced the word “Islam” with “Christianity” or “Judaism”?

I’m guessing not well.

But Muslims are used to having their faith openly denigrated by public officials.

We’re used to people failing to distinguish between “Islam” and “a few Muslims.” And we’re used to being called terrorists despite the fact that the vast majority of terrorist acts on American and European soil have been carried out by non-Muslims.

But being accustomed to abuse doesn’t mean we bruise less. If anything, being beaten repeatedly in the same spot makes each successive blow all the more painful.

I’ve written many reasoned commentaries in defense of Islam, Muslims and Muslim women in particular. This isn’t one.

Today, I’m going to do something different. I’m not going to cite relevant verses from the Quran. I’m not going to quote scholars. I’m not going on the defensive.

Today, I’m tired. So tired that I’m going to do something I’ve never done before. Not because I seek pity or sympathy, but because I think people should understand. Because maybe if they really understood, they’d stop.

Today, I’m going to tell you what it feels like to live with hate and hostility directed at you on a daily basis.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to turn on the news and hear people repeatedly call your faith hateful and violent.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to be vilified any time a man named Mohammed commits a crime.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to wait at a subway station next to an advertisement calling you a barbarian.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to find a death threat in your inbox.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to know that the police are infiltrating your places of worship, finding nothing and still targeting you.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to be told that you can’t be a feminist and that so many of your gentlest brothers are misogynists, criminals or worse.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to see your people being slaughtered in the hundreds of thousands by state-sponsored terrorists, only to be called terrorists themselves for the crimes of a handful among them.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to have your own people call you a heretic when you’re fighting to defend their rights, while others call you a heretic for doing so.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to be told to go back to your country when you’re in your country.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to be asked if you walk 10 spaces behind your husband or if he beats you or if he has other wives.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to have people assume you hate them when you don’t.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to be expected to know why a stranger committed a crime because he claims to share your religion.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to be required to apologize for something you didn’t do.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to be told that you don’t belong when you know there’s no place you belong more.

It hurts.

Editor's note: Melody Moezzi is a writer, activist, attorney and award-winning author. Her book, "Haldol and Hyacinths: A Bipolar Life," will be published in August.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Melody Moezzi.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Islam • Opinion • Politics

1. Science

Hey dot

MESSENGER False Color Mercury Globe Spin

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYK479EpQc&w=640&h=390]

June 17, 2013 at 11:04 am |
  2. GOOD NEWS

GOD created all of us,

that we may establish Peace, Harmony and Justice all over the world.

UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES

June 16, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
  3. muslim2012

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RawbaoXJ2e8&w=640&h=390]

June 16, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
  4. muslim2012

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAfpWJkcCYI&w=640&h=390]

June 16, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
  5. muslim2012

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVWShgimuro&w=640&h=390]

June 16, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
  6. Aviva Ruth

Many non-Muslims have long been sickened by vicious attacks and tirades against ourselves and others.

June 16, 2013 at 11:03 am |
  7. DavidV

Sorry but I have heard it 100 times before:

"Only 1 percent of Muslims are terrorists."

bla bla bla. That means there are about 500,000 muslim terrorists who are trying to kill me! Who gives a shiit about the other 99 percent?

June 16, 2013 at 9:26 am |
  8. Neurodoc

Faith you need to stop at once making erroneous comments about psychotropic drugs. Most people can see you for the nut case that you are. You are headed toward a lawsuit young lady.

June 15, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Why would you care ?

SUPERBORING.

As Europeans, we're used to the whining of PR muslims whenever another member of their medieval death cult has committed just another atrocity.

I'm sorry, we're bored.
    We know you're delusional liars.
    Game over for you.

June 15, 2013 at 9:48 pm |
  10. Dzack

You feel like every other minority.

June 15, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
  11. GOOD NEWS

GOD created all of us.
    We Can live together in Peace and Harmony.

UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES

June 14, 2013 at 5:24 am |
  12. a_christian

POLITICALISLAM.COM – Dr. Bill Warner,

June 13, 2013 at 10:07 pm |
  13. LIGHT

for those who are saying Muslims are killers but Christians and Jews are not doing that I just want to say that you are living on mars or you think that we are living on mars.

actually where are the jews? they are all about 14 millions and they are who firing the wars everywhere beside that they are known as the killers of prophets. I think according to your faith you know who were trying hard to kill the Christ.

as for ,chrstans you are the last people to talk about that because your faith and your country were established on blood.

truth ,your faith was established on blood when you said that god needs blood to forgive sins so he killed his only son to forgive.

truth ,your country was established on blood when thousands and thousands of red Indians had been killed without any reason.

If you have a calculator at your home just till us how many victims were killed in the first and second world war( I don't think the calculator will be able to calculate them).

I will not ask about the black history of the Christian church in the middle ages and millions of victims in that period.

I will not ask you about The Crusades and victims are known for all.

.I will not ask you about the dirty war in vitnam.

I will not ask you about victims in the Gulf war.

you can open the antichrist channel (CNN) to see everyday how many victims of women,children and infants die under your forces fires.

if there is an order in KORAN to fight or to kill it means an army against another army.

there is no order to kill women or children or infants.

there is no order to kill for petroleum.

there is no order to kill to try a new weapon.

most of your soldiers don't know why they are there.

most of your people don't know why they are spending all these money and for what.

Try to watch a film for Hiroshima and Nagasaki to know who are you.

June 13, 2013 at 3:42 pm |
    • ULP!...

Wall of CRAP!

June 13, 2013 at 10:53 pm |
    • R.M. Goodswell

Keep em coming LIGHT...you do more to hurt your cause with every post.

June 13, 2013 at 11:09 pm |
  14. derp

I never really dated religious chicks.

That being said, she's pretty hot.

I'd bang her and not call.

June 13, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
    • Michael

"I never really dated religious chicks."

I think you meant to say they never really dated you.

"That being said, she's pretty hot. I'd bang her and not call."

. . . says the non-Muslim man who doubtlessly considers his view of women as more enlightend than that of Muslim men.

June 14, 2013 at 8:54 am |
    • derp

". . . says the non-Muslim man who doubtlessly considers his view of women as more enlightend than that of Muslim men"

Says the doochebag who does not understand the difference between not calling a woman after consensual premarital s e x, and a culture that condones stoning women to death for doing it.

June 14, 2013 at 9:55 am |
    • derp

II think you meant to say they never really dated you"

Correct, unless you consider one night stands where we both enjoy each other for purely physical purposes to be dating.

June 14, 2013 at 9:57 am |
  15. sanityrules

I am sorry for your pain. but you must ne sensitive that a racial wing of people in your faith have used that faith as a rationalization to kill and maim people all over the world. Christians and Jews are just not doing this. Sure there are a couple isolated acts committed by individual "Christians" but they aren't an organized force like Al Queda, and other groups. The list of terrorist acts committed in the last 20 years by Islamic group is a long one .

What peace loving Muslims can do is stop hiding and tolerating people in their faith that have radical views. don't make them welcome in your Mosques. Crack down and expel radical Imams, and provide tips to authorities when you observe people spouting hateful and extreme positions.

I have no animosity towards Muslims. I have a lot of animosity for terrorists, and peace loving muslims that sit in silence thinking it is more important to protect their faith and the radical elements in that faith than to work with the authorities to stop violence before it happens.

June 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
    • faith

sorry 4 u 2

hell bound is ur choice

June 13, 2013 at 2:29 pm |
    • anon

IRA springs to mind or did we forget that there was an attempt on late baroness thatchers life only they were targeted for discontent not catholics and protestants as a whole

June 14, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
  16. Reality

Regarding the female genitalia mutilation in Islamic countries,

see http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/ and

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Qur'an,_Hadith_and_Scholars:Female_Genital_Mutilation and

June 13, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
  17. light

The world now is ruling by the antichrist but no one wants to believe.

CNN is one of his official channels which through he can control the brains and concepts of people.

He planned for the 9/11 attacks and they said Muslims did it, and as usual people believe whatever they are saying.

See now how he can play with your brains and eyes using numbers,letters and words to know what is going on and what CNN is:

Take a look on the CNN logo and read it upside and down you will get............. MD.......it means (M)onth and (D)ay.

Read it from left to right you will get.............. 911.

Read it from right to left and be ready for the shoke as you will get...............WTC......... read the T upside down.

Please tell those who are sleeping to awake before it is too late.

June 13, 2013 at 7:22 am |
    • Reality

"Nineteenth-century agnostic Robert G. Ingersoll branded Revelation "the insanest of all books".[30] Thomas Jefferson omitted it along with most of the Biblical canon, from the Jefferson Bible, and wrote that at one time, he "considered it as merely the ravings of a maniac, no more worthy nor capable of explanation than the incoherences of our own nightly dreams." [31]

Martin Luther once "found it an offensive piece of work" and John Calvin "had grave doubts about its value."[32]

June 13, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
  18. John

Why do you believe in BS fairy tales from 1000 years before the invention of electricity. They were literally living in the dark. You should read On the Origin of Species and give away your Quran. We understand what happened a trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a 10,000,000th-of-a-second after the Big Bang (the 4 fundamental forces). Just a couple months ago scientists confirmed Einstein's General Theory of Relativity. They looked at a pair of stars roughly 6,850 light years away. They stars orbit each other once every 2.46 hours. According to Einstein's "theory" the stars orbital time should slow down by 8 millionths of a second each year. Guess what? It does. Drop the horse manure and get back in touch with reality. Islam is BY FAR the worst of the bunch (terrifying to read about the daily horrors in countries like Nigeria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Syria, etc.). And yes, I understand Afghanistan has 35 million citizens and that the suicide bomber that killed 17 + injured 40 near the Supreme Court the other day can be put into a perspective when adjusted for population. Same with the hell hole that is Nigeria, Yemen, Pakistan, Iraq, Somalia, Bangladesh, etc.

June 13, 2013 at 2:20 am |
  19. Caroline Kennedy

I quote Dennis Miller, "I descriminate against people trying to kill me!"

June 12, 2013 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Felix Sinclair

Nothing funnier than children who believe in Santa Claus making fun of children who believe in the Tooth Fairy.

June 12, 2013 at 10:04 pm |