home
RSS
June 14th, 2013

Superman: Flying to a church near you

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

Baltimore, Maryland (CNN) - As the new Superman movie takes flight this weekend, filmmakers are hoping the Man of Steel lands not only in theaters, but also in pulpits.

Warner Bros. Studios is aggressively marketing "Man of Steel" to Christian pastors, inviting them to early screenings, creating Father’s Day discussion guides and producing special film trailers that focus on the faith-friendly angles of the movie.

The movie studio even asked a theologian to provide sermon notes for pastors who want to preach about Superman on Sunday. Titled “Jesus: The Original Superhero,” the notes run nine pages.

“How might the story of Superman awaken our passion for the greatest hero who ever lived and died and rose again?” the sermon notes ask.

(Disclaimer: CNN, like Warner Bros., is owned by Time Warner.)

Similar campaigns to corral the country's large number of Christians into the movie theater have been used for "Les Miserables," "Soul Surfer" and "The Blind Side," all of which had at least some faith angle.

Baltimore pastor Quentin Scott is among dozens of ministers who received an e-mail invitation from Grace Hill Media, a Hollywood-based Christian marketing firm, to an early screening of “Man of Steel.”

“There was an actual push to say `We’re putting out something that speaks to your group,' ” said Scott, one of the pastors of Shiloh Christian Community Church in Baltimore.

At first, Scott said, he didn’t buy the religious pitch. Then he decided to attend a free midweek screening in Baltimore.

“When I sat and listened to the movie I actually saw it was the story of Christ, and the love of God was weaved into the story," said the pastor.

"It was something I was very excited about that with the consultation of our senior pastor, we could use in our congregation.”

CNN Entertainment: 'Man of Steel' director Zack Snyder on Superman's Christ-like parallels

Grace Hill’s sermon notes are specially designed for churches like Shiloh that integrate multimedia into their services.

“Let’s take a look at the trailer for `Man of Steel,’” the notes suggest after briefly introducing the movie’s history and themes.

The man behind the notes, Pepperdine University professor Craig Detweiler, has prepared similar material for films like 2009’s "The Blind Side" and "The Book of Eli" from 2010.

The spiritual themes in “Man of Steel” are abundant, Detweiler said, and his notes enable Christians to thoughtfully engage with pop culture instead of shunning it.

“All too often, religious communities have been defined by what they're against. With a movie like `Man of Steel,’ this is a chance to celebrate a movie that affirms faith, sacrifice and service,” Detweiler said.

It will be hard for even casual Christians to miss the messianic metaphors in "Man of Steel.”

The movie focuses on the origins of Superman, who was sent from the planet Krypton as an infant to save his species.

He is raised by surrogate parents who help him grapple with his special powers, even though they don’t fully understand the source of his extraordinary abilities.

When he turns 33, Superman must willingly sacrifice himself to save the human race.

Sound familiar?

If that’s not enough, as a boy Clark Kent is shown wrestling with his superpowers, and asks his earthly dad, Jonathan Kent, “Did God do this to me?”

“Somewhere out there you have another father and he sent you here for a reason,” says Jonathan Kent.

Even the visuals hammer home the messianic motifs.

During a fight with his archenemy, General Zod, Superman plunges down to Earth, his arms outstretched as if he were being crucified. Of course, he rises again.

Detweiler writes in the sermon notes, “What Jesus and Superman both give us, through their `hero’ actions but also their `human’ actions – is hope.”

“I think it’s a very good thing that Hollywood is paying attention to the Christian marketplace,” said Ted Baehr, who runs Movieguide, a website that reviews family friendly films from a Christian perspective.

“Where it gets sticky is when they try to manipulate the market and when Christians try to manipulate Hollywood. But here I think we have the right balance.”

But other Christians are heaving a supersized sigh at the movie marketing.

"Any pastor who thinks using `Man of Steel Ministry Resources' is a good Sunday morning strategy must have no concept of how high the stakes are, or very little confidence in the power of God’s word and God’s spirit," writes P.J. Wenzel, a deacon and Sunday School teacher at Dublin Baptist Church in Ohio.

"As they entertain their congregants with material pumped out from Hollywood’s sewers, lives are kept in bondage, and people’s souls are neglected," according to Wenzel, who said he was e-mailed information about the movie.

Scott, the Baltimore pastor, said he knows that Warner Bros. Studios has a financial incentive in pushing the film to pastors.

But he said that’s fine with him. “They’re using us but in fact we’re using them,” he said.

His church won't show clips from the movie this weekend because it had already planned out its service. But he plans to use them later, during meetings with the church’s men’s group.

“If you give me another opportunity to talk to someone about Jesus Christ, and I can do that because of your movie, that’s a win for me, because it is about spreading the Gospel.”

CNN's Erin McPike contributed to this report.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Celebrity • Christianity • Church • Entertainment • Media • Movies

soundoff (6,545 Responses)
  1. Steven

Just another counterfeit of Christ

June 16, 2013 at 9:26 pm |
  2. faith

if I sound agitated its cuz i misplaced my midget of steel. fresh batteries all dressed up and no place 2 go.

June 16, 2013 at 9:16 pm |
    • Terry

My, but you're weird.

June 16, 2013 at 9:23 pm |
  3. applesasfa

the story of superman is about as real as the story of jesus.

June 16, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Unbelievers don't believe Jesus Christ's truth, instead, they prefer to believe the lies of satan so they can live in denial while they bully others to do the same. If I believed I was born a kangaroo, lived my life as a kangaroo, insisted everyone consider me a kangaroo and demanded respect that my ego tells me I'm a kangaroo, will NEVER make it true.

June 16, 2013 at 9:24 pm |
    • Theseus

*HeavenSent... if I didn't know any better I'd say you were describing the Bible to a T.

June 16, 2013 at 9:38 pm |
    • Damocles

@hs

Ahhh... so believing there is a deity, living your life as if there is a deity, insisting that everyone around you believes in this deity and demanding the respect that your ego tells you there is a deity, doesn't make it true either, right?

June 16, 2013 at 9:39 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Theseus, the river is called the Nile, not d'nile.

June 16, 2013 at 10:07 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Damocles, the definition of unrighteous ...see below.

02555 // omx // chamac // khaw-mawce' //

from 02554 ; TWOT- 678a; n m

AV – violence 39, violent 7, cruelty 4, wrong 3, false 2, cruel 1,
      damage 1, injustice 1, oppressor + 0376 1, unrighteous 1; 60

1) violence, wrong, cruelty, injustice

June 16, 2013 at 10:10 pm |
    • Terry

What is d'nile? Do you mean denial? My goodness.

June 16, 2013 at 10:22 pm |
    • The real Tom

I'm telling you, guinea worms are smarter.

June 16, 2013 at 10:24 pm |
    • Damocles

@heavenscent(smells like truly remarkable failure)

What does anything you just polluted my screen with have anything to do with what I said?

June 16, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
    • Heaven Sent

I'm a kangaroo, I go hop hop hop all day long.

June 17, 2013 at 6:53 am |
  4. maybrick

I don't know who or what created the universe, but as far as I'm concerned there is only one God worth caring about. It's the one that gives us plenty of food, a place to live, and air to breathe. This God's name is EARTH, and if we don't treat it with respect it's going to rise up and kill us.

June 16, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
    • Bostontola

I'd go with Sun. It's energy drives evolution that created us. But I respect your choice.

June 16, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
    • maybrick

Hey, there's plenty of room in the universe for more than one God. I'm thankful for the Sun, as well, but it is only through the benevolence of the Earth with it's atmosphere and electromagnetic field that keeps the sun's rays from being lethal to all life. THANKS EARTH!

June 16, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Genesis 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that [it was] good.

Amen.

June 16, 2013 at 9:28 pm |
    • Science

Hey HS ..............did you really hear god say that ?

June 16, 2013 at 9:37 pm |
    • Delly_Smildo

I would submit the stars themselves as my choice for God! They graciously blew themselves apart, scattering their enriched guts throughout the cosmos, to one day reform into life! Say what you will about Jesus, but science tells us that stars, in fact, DID die so that we may live!

June 16, 2013 at 10:11 pm |
    • Secular Humanist from Ohio

Way to go Delly – I vote for stars too.

June 16, 2013 at 10:20 pm |
    • ChrisA

I'm sorry but that's just stupid. The earth is a creation. It can't think, it can't see, and it can't feel. It cares no more for you or itself than a rock cares for oxygen. Neither it or the sun, is worthy of any worship.

June 16, 2013 at 10:24 pm |
    • wolfRayet

@ HeavenSent

"Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: [he made] the stars also."

Sorry,, the Moon is not a light, it's not even close.. it reflects the sun's light. More or less it's a mirror.
      Genesis 1:16 is Totally WRONG..... Apparently, your god don't know what the moon does. Not much of a god.

Oh, did he make Galaxies...? I guess not, at that time, no one knew what a galaxy was. Did he make black holes? There is just so much wrong with the bible, it's hard to find a place to start.

June 16, 2013 at 10:42 pm |
  5. ScoobyDooby

Saw 'Man of Steel' today – fun, entertaining, and worth the ticket price.

June 16, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
    • tallulah13

I hope you saw a bargain show. No movie is worth the price of the admission they're charging.

June 16, 2013 at 9:54 pm |
  6. faith

nothing. funny, 4 all their spin and nonsense, they have a high opinion of themselves. one would expect some humility after being defeated in every single argument.

zilch

June 16, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
    • Trace

You've never argued a point yet. All you do is repeat that "they" have been defeated. Saying "you lose" when you don't argue anything isn't winning, faith. You've argued zilch.

June 16, 2013 at 8:56 pm |
    • tallulah13

I believe that "they" are the voices inside faith's head.

June 16, 2013 at 9:55 pm |
  7. Bostontola

Which of the following stories is more believable?

Story 1 – Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin, performed miracles, founded the Church, died sacrificially by crucifixion to achieve atonement, rose from the dead, and ascended into heaven, from which he will return.

Story 2 – Kal-El was born on the planet Krypton, rocketed to Earth as an infant moments before Krypton's destruction. Discovered and adopted by a Kansas farmer and his wife, the child is raised as Clark Kent. Has superhuman abilities, which he resolved to use for the benefit of humanity.

June 16, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Bostontola, copying 95% of Jesus Christ's truth adding 5% of satan's lies to cause doubt just proves the Kenites (satan's offspring of liars) were busy.

P.S. every time you atheists lose the debate you start back at square one again. I lost count how many times you atheist presented this argument .... again, and again ad nauseum. LOL

June 16, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
    • Bostontola

HeavenSent,
      I made no argument, I asked a question. Your response is quite presumptuous. This article is about parallels in the 2 stories. A natural question is, which story is more believable. Why did you find that threatening?

June 16, 2013 at 8:46 pm |
    • Terry

HeavenSent,
      "Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin, performed miracles, founded the Church, died sacrificially by crucifixion to achieve atonement, rose from the dead, and ascended into heaven, from which he will return."

Please tell us all what part of this is Satan's lies. Please.

June 16, 2013 at 9:00 pm |
    • Jonas

Just an out-of-the-box observation: why is it that all the pro-Christians and bible thumpers uniformly can't seem to write very well?

Anything to read between the lines here? The knee-jerk conclusion is that- just perhaps-they aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. Or maybe it's all that home schooling.

I don't know. Just kinda gives me pause...

June 16, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
    • dshipp17

Jonas, for those who are so smart, here's your chance to deal a deadly blow to Christianity and win $10,000 at the same time http://www.newser.com/story/165107/creationist-10k-to-anyone-who-can-disprove-genesis.html; so far, no takers.

Also, please check out the new findings that the news media has yet to catch up to: http://www.space.com/19220-universe-largest-structure-discovered.html

June 16, 2013 at 9:26 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Bostontola, you're ignoring my post script.

June 16, 2013 at 9:31 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Jonas, you can use "just because they call you sunny, doesn't mean you're bright". You'll remember that line too each time you look into a mirror.

June 16, 2013 at 9:37 pm |
    • Bostontola

HS,
      Read your PS and my response and you'll see I directly addressed it.

June 16, 2013 at 9:39 pm |
    • Poltergiest

Story one: Spontaneous conceptions have and do occur in nature. The chances are much higher than alien visitation.

June 16, 2013 at 9:46 pm |
    • Terry

You're evading, HeavenSent. You made the claim that there are 5% lies in this post that Satan is responsible for. Point them out.

June 16, 2013 at 10:13 pm |
    • wolfRayet

@ Heavensent

I have never sen a atheist loose a debate yet.. It's the other way around, but like all idiot christians, you just ignore it in your haphazard way and go on with the nonsense.

BTW, Genesis is a copy of the Sumerian creation myth. A bad one but still a copy. Noah is a copy of part of the Epic of Gilgamesh. Both of those have been proven to be not only true but facts. Your good at quoting, it's a shame you don't know what the quoted matter means and where it comes from.

June 16, 2013 at 10:48 pm |
    • Poltergiest

Similarities between two stories doesn't me they are copies similar stories. There are even flood myths in native american faiths. The Hopi speak of the god Tewa, who floods the world, but a righteous few are saved in a ship of reeds.

June 17, 2013 at 12:18 am |
    • maximo

Bostontola,
      Which story is more plausible:

1 – A Divine God who had no beginning, and who has existed forever, and is maker of all things visible and invisible.
      Who comes to his creation by becoming incarnate as a man (Jesus Christ).

2 – all of life, the human mind, love, beauty, art, appreciation for art & music, moral codes, the ability to do good, the abiilty to do bad, etc, etc, can come into existence from a single cell thru the mindless process of mutating genes propogated thru survival of the fittest and that the explanation of the single cell origin will be completed by evolutionists in the future

If a god created the world, it certainly seems very plausible that he would enter into it.
      And since we messed it up and live a life other than what we were made for, he comes to show us the way to live. By ultimate love. To love, love, love even unto suffering and death. Why is that such a difficult thing to believe?
      If any of you want to believe, want to be convinced, then just ask God to help throw some light your way! If you are sincere, truly sincere in wanting to know, I guarantee you He will.

June 17, 2013 at 2:57 am |
  8. Charles L.

Heaven Sent, keep posting your bible stuff, you are not going to convince others to believe because you keep quoting the bible. Regardless of what you think, you really are not saving anyones soul, nor are you going to convince any non-believers. If anything you push them away even further from your view. You are fighting a lost cause.

June 16, 2013 at 8:15 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

heaven sent is an advertisement for atheism. his brand of ignorant zealotry pushes anyone on the fence away from religion. thanks, heaven sent, for showing how christianity is based on guilt, fear and ignorance. you're a shining example!

June 16, 2013 at 8:18 pm |
    • jonnybbig

Actually she will...
      That's how christians have been doing it for centuries. Here's another one for you that applies to this situation.

1 Corinthians 1:21
      For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom did not know God, God was pleased to save those who believe through the nonsense of our preaching.

June 16, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

It's an evil and di s gusting creep who saves through nonsense and does not make himself clear to the sensible. God is invisible and undetectable and we honor him to treat him as such. The muslim suicide bomber and the fundamentalist Christian abortion clinic bomber use the same math and chemistry because they must. You can believe anything about god and there's no way to have any verification at all which belief is more or less substantial than any other. Silliness.

June 16, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Charles and Booty, Unbelievers live in denial bullying others to do the same. If I believed I was born a kangaroo, lived my life as a kangaroo, insisted everyone consider me a kangaroo and demanded respect that my ego tells me I'm a kangaroo, will NEVER make it true.

June 16, 2013 at 8:38 pm |
    • The real Tom

HS bellows at the top or her lungs: "Charles and Booty, Unbelievers live in denial bullying others to do the same. If I believed I was born a kangaroo, lived my life as a kangaroo, insisted everyone consider me a kangaroo and demanded respect that my ego tells me I'm a kangaroo, will NEVER make it true"

You holler that you're a Christian who is saved, but that's not true, either, you fraud.

June 16, 2013 at 10:10 pm |

Ezekiel 3

18 When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
      20 Again, When a righteous [man] doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Amen.

June 18, 2013 at 11:31 am |
  9. jonnybbig

At Keattis

The thing about science is that it requires skepticism, not blind faith, as well as logic and the scientific method to arrive at any conclusion.
    Religion, on the other hand, requires blind acceptance and never allows free speech or questions or skepticism in any way.
    Nobody has blind faith in science. All of it is always open to review as well as skepticism and questioning and further analysis.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________
    Incorrect. 8th grade science teachers explicate current scientific data to eager young minds. How is this not the same as an Apologetics studied Christian pastor teaching data on the Judeo-christian God to eager minds who have to work for a living and may not enjoy the elevated IQ that you think you have? Those eager young 8th graders have blind faith and people like William Lane Craig answers all questions and skepticism. The opposite is uninformed uneducated Christians believing in simply what they were told (like the 8th graders) are dismantled by intelligent moron atheists such as Dawkins. Chose your poison, but don't act like the intelligent God-believing side has ANY worries about questions and skepticism. I could make most undergraduate biology majors doubt their textbooks fairly quickly, however I actually believe in evolution so I would never do such a thing. Watch some debates by people much smarter than you or I and you'll see really quick that it is not as black and white as CNN message boards make it out to be.

June 16, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
    • dshipp17

Great post; but for those who are so smart, here's your chance to deal a deadly blow to Christianity and win $10,000 at the same time http://www.newser.com/story/165107/creationist-10k-to-anyone-who-can-disprove-genesis.html; so far, no takers.

June 16, 2013 at 8:18 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

We try to teach our children the best information available at the time. We teach science as fact, and allow the kids to accept it because it is as close to fact as we can determine. When a student is interested in science, they are welcome to engage more in more in its process which utilizes skepticism to hone its definitions. A savvy student will ADD to the current knowledge of science when she QUESTIONS some portion of the theory overdue for skeptical insight and then by EXPERIMENT and measurements make conclusions that can be VERIFIED by ALL.

Religion only lays claim to the first statement and only performs the second statement. Science wins because at its highest levels it encourages skepticism and verifiable process.

June 16, 2013 at 8:18 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

dsharp235

It's stupid to believe in any of the several genesis accounts. Obviously. Unless you think that the fundamental particles of the universe are lying to us.

June 16, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

it's the beauty of science - it can admit it was wrong.
      religion is inerrant, never wrong. that's why it can't grow, can't change. or at least has such a problem with it.
      science changes all the time. science simply says, with all the information available, this is how we think it works.
      provide evidence that a law or theory is wrong, and it will be accepted. a well established law or theory will require substantial proof, but eventually, the facts win out.
      not so with religion. in fact, exactly opposite. the bible has been proven wrong countless times, but christians say, "yeah, but it's still right about this or that." until those things are proven wrong, of course. religion's "wisdom" keeps getting proven wrong. not much left in there now.
      and you forget, it's up to the one making the claim to prove his/her claim. you say there's a god - prove it.
      you can't prove a negative, so stop asking for the impossible. prove my left nut isn't god. can't? so my left nut must be god. all bow down and worship my left nut, thy lord and savior!
      there is equal proof for yahweh and my left nut.

June 16, 2013 at 8:25 pm |
    • Science

Hey creationists......................someday science will be able to do it..............no god(s) required or needed.

Russian scientists discovered a fully-grown female mammoth with blood and well-preserved muscle tissue trapped in ice in Siberia. The findings come amid debates on whether the extinct species should be resurrected using DNA.

June 16, 2013 at 8:41 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Bootyfunk, instead of lying about Jesus' truth, why not fix all the flaws in your fairy tale of evolution. Oh, too much work? LOL

June 16, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
    • dshipp17

To Cpt. Obvious, I think your science is a little outdated, but understandable; please visit http://www.space.com/19220-universe-largest-structure-discovered.html

June 16, 2013 at 9:11 pm |
    • dshipp17

Bootyfunk where are you getting your information about the Bible? There are very few, if any, instances where the information in the Bible which could have been investigated has been proven wrong; and I wouldn't say wrong as much as a little off, where the variance is accounted for by new developments. And that's well established fact.

June 16, 2013 at 9:16 pm |
    • Secular Humanist from Ohio

Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will bring a sword upon thee, and cut off man and beast out of thee. And the land of Egypt shall be desolate and waste; and they shall know that I am the LORD: because he hath said, The river is mine, and I have made it. Behold, therefore I am against thee, and against thy rivers, and I will make the land of Egypt utterly waste and desolate, from the tower of Syene even unto the border of Ethiopia. No foot of man shall pass through it, nor foot of beast shall pass through it, neither shall it be inhabited forty years. And I will make the land of Egypt desolate in the midst of the countries that are desolate, and her cities among the cities that are laid waste shall be desolate forty years: and I will scatter the Egyptians among the nations, and will disperse them through the countries. Ezek 29 8-12. Never happened in Egypt.

June 16, 2013 at 9:31 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Atheists believe that river is called d'Nile.

June 16, 2013 at 9:40 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Secular Humanist from Ohio, you'd understand if you knew what Egypt means in scriptures.

June 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm |
    • Secular Humanist from Ohio

HS

Not even clever.

June 16, 2013 at 9:48 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

The structure you mention is merely part of the larger structure that infiltrates the entire universe: the intergalactic web. It's pretty amazing as far as structures go. As far as genesis accounts: they're all bvll sh!t.

June 16, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Bootyfunk

hahaha. notice it wasn't jesus, but superman who saved the earth.

superman > jesus

June 16, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Remember, Booty, Superman, like satan, can't save your soul.

June 16, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
    • Damocles

@hs

Tell me, how many souls have you seen saved? I mean, I'm sure you've probably heard people say 'oh, my belief in a deity has saved me', but how many times have you died to actually see these souls make their way to some heaven?

June 16, 2013 at 9:52 pm |
  11. Bootyfunk

best to just get a devil's pentagram made out of kryptonite, that way you can keep jesus AND superman away...

June 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
  12. Dan

Does he keep the ten commandments, especially the 4th one, thus Remember keep the Sabbath holy and it's not Sunday.

June 16, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Jesus is our Sabbath, every second of every day.

June 16, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

^^ mind control at work ^^

June 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Booty, it's called peace and rest with our pure hearts.

June 16, 2013 at 8:45 pm |
    • The real Tom

If you were at peace, you cow, you wouldn't have a desperate need to post here. You're an addict, HS.

June 16, 2013 at 10:01 pm |
    • G to the T

HS – it's called reinterpreting the Bible to mean anything YOU think it should...

June 17, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
  13. Secular Humanist from Ohio

I often wonder that myself. Oh science is faith based! But darn, we'll use the computers, go to doctors, drive cars, and flip on our light switches!

June 16, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
  14. Aaron

Tell us what you think of blacks, lame bigot.

June 16, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
  15. DocB

Superman worships Satan. So do I!!!

June 16, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • HeavenSent

We know. It's easy to believe satan's lies to live an unrighteous life in denial. It takes courage to follow Jesus' truth to live righteously.

June 16, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
  16. Charles L.

Hey Christians, I reject your religion and subsitute my own.

June 16, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • devin

And we're happy for you.

June 16, 2013 at 7:59 pm |

Psalms 10:4

The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek [after God]: God [is] not in all his thoughts.

01363   //  hbg  //  gobahh   //  go'-bah  //
      from   01361  ; TWOT – 305b; n m
      AV – height 9, high 3, pride 2, excellency 1, haughty 1, loftiness 1; 17
      1) height, exaltation
      1a) height
      1b) exaltation, grandeur
      1c) haughtiness

June 16, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

heaven sent proudly trumpets his own self-deluded righteousness and then judges others for pride...? lol.

June 16, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
    • Charles L.

Heaven Sent posts the funniest comments.

June 16, 2013 at 8:12 pm |

Proverbs 3:32

For the froward [is] abomination to the LORD: but his secret [is] with the righteous.

Amen,

June 16, 2013 at 8:53 pm |
    • The real Tom

And the cat says "meow." So what? It's about as meaningful.

June 16, 2013 at 10:09 pm |
    • Damocles

Cat and Proxy Cat would not demean themselves to saying something as lowly as 'meow.'

June 16, 2013 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Charles L.

Here we go again with this Religious nonsense. Ugh. Leave Superman alone.

June 16, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
  18. Pninah

And jezeus is about a real as Superman too!!

June 16, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
  19. Bostontola

Borrowing themes from previous stories is an old tradition. Superman uses biblical themes. The bible used Mesopotamian, Greek, and other stories. The great flood idea, virgin birth, resurrection, etc all preceded the various testaments. It is a calling card for fiction.

June 16, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
  20. Science

Hey HS again how old are the fossils !

Fossil Kangaroo Teeth Reveal Mosaic of Pliocene Ecosystems in Queensland

June 12, 2013 — The teeth of a kangaroo and other extinct marsupials reveal that southeastern Queensland 2.5-5-million-years ago was a mosaic of tropical forests,

The bible is BS HS.

June 16, 2013 at 7:22 pm |

You own the BS science.

June 16, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
    • Science

Hey HS + BS still = BS................chondrites..........density 3.0 to 3.4.

June 16, 2013 at 7:58 pm |

Science,

Psalms 10:4

01363   //  hbg  //  gobahh   //  go'-bah  //
      from   01361  ; TWOT – 305b; n m
      AV – height 9, high 3, pride 2, excellency 1, haughty 1, loftiness 1; 17
      1) height, exaltation
      1a) height
      1b) exaltation, grandeur
      1c) haughtiness

June 16, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
    • Science

To funny HS you are really stuck in the sand box..................to you want the action plan to yank your faith again.

The chondrites are older than the bible HS.

June 16, 2013 at 8:18 pm |
    • Science

Oops do not to.

June 16, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
    • HeavenSent

science, didn't you know, Jesus already told us the animals roamed the world in the first earth age.

June 16, 2013 at 8:56 pm |
    • Science

No divine designer needed.................so HS............your KJV.............is BULLSH-IT

Video animation: RNA interference

June 16, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Science, glad that you are marveling on one of His magnificent artistry of nature.

June 16, 2013 at 9:56 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77
About this blog